PDA

View Full Version : Mark my Worilds

STEELMANIAK
03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Jason Worilds will be the next best Steelers linebacker. This guy is going to come out of his shell this year and lead our team in sacks. He fits the prototype size for our defense at the OLB position, standing at 6'2 260+ lbs has great speed and agility for his size.

I don't think he's really gotten a fair shake at the position but with Harrison gone it is now his time. :tt03:

That being said, I still believe we need help at the OLB that will be addressed in this years draft but not as early as everyone is expecting.

jfeust
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Agreed. I'm really excited to see what he can do. In limited opportunity last year he looked great rushing the passer. His run stopping skills will improve with playing time. I think he's going to be a good one.

Hopefully Woodley can turn it around this year, and we'll be back to the dominating OLB's that we're known for.

FanSince72
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Jason Worilds will be the next best Steelers linebacker. This guy is going to come out of his shell this year and lead our team in sacks. He fits the prototype size for our defense at the OLB position, standing at 6'2 260+ lbs has great speed and agility for his size.

I don't think he's really gotten a fair shake at the position but with Harrison gone it is now his time. :tt03:

That being said, I still believe we need help at the OLB that will be addressed in this years draft but not as early as everyone is expecting.

Do you REALLY believe that or are you just saying that to justify that corny pun? :applaudit:

Seriously though, I like Worilds and I think with more reps and more responsibility, he's going to become a pretty damned good LB.

Stinky Fred
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Jason Worilds will be the next best Steelers linebacker.

He needs to be. We need something from the #2 we spent on him.

If last year was an indication, he'll eclipse Woodley.

teegre
03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
It's a Catch-22.

If he pans out, then he will be too expensive to re-sign.

If he fails, then (likely) so will the Steelers.

(Option A is the better scenario: better to have one great year from him, than none.)

steelerchad
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Them saying they have no interest in signing Harrison back even at a greatly reduced contract would tend to indicate that the coaches think he's ready.

pete74
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
I got laughed at for predicting a 15 sack season for him but I think it's possible because he has only this season to prove himself. If he does really well he will want a huge contract and we probably won'tbe able to keep him so wwe're damned if he does, damned if he dosnt. Personally I would like to see Woodley on the right side. He makes all the money and should be going against the left tackles

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
I got laughed at for predicting a 15 sack season for him but I think it's possible because he has only this season to prove himself. If he does really well he will want a huge contract and we probably won'tbe able to keep him so wwe're damned if he does, damned if he dosnt. Personally I would like to see Woodley on the right side. He makes all the money and should be going against the left tackles

I'm an optimist, but man - 15 sacks for Worilds? I don't know about that. I hope you're right though!

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I got laughed at for predicting a 15 sack season for him but I think it's possible because he has only this season to prove himself.

this would mean that Worilds would need to stay healthy for an entire season, something he has been unable to do including college.

LVSteelersfan
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
They should try to resign him this year before he has a chance to prove himself. Why wait until he has a possibly great year under his belt. Of course that could backfire if he doesn't pan out. But the whole thing is a giant crapshoot anyway.

Blacksburg Zach
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
First things first, Worilds has to be able to stay on the field. If he can't do that, he will never have the opportunity to prove himself. All the ability in the world means nothing if one is unable to get on the field due to injury.

teegre
03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
If he does really well he will want a huge contract and we probably won'tbe able to keep him so wwe're damned if he does, damned if he dosnt.

Yep. I posted (essentially) the same thing.

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
It's a Catch-22.

If he pans out, then he will be too expensive to re-sign.

If he fails, then (likely) so will the Steelers.

(Option A is the better scenario: better to have one great year from him, than none.)

yup, that's exactly how it played out with Keenan Lewis unfortunately.

steelers33
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Watching his film from VT, he had one of the quickest up field burst I've seen from a defensive end. Hopefully with these three years of past development he put on some muscle and developed the OLB technique ( nobody develops OLB better then the Steelers). We will see if he can stay healthy.
Also, I think Harrison ends up in Denver makes sense for both sides.

pete74
03-26-2013, 03:50 PM
yup, that's exactly how it played out with Keenan Lewis unfortunately.

What i don't understand about Lewis and Worilds as well if he does well and we lose him is why don't we sign them after there third year. We have three full years to evaluate them and should know what there capable of. If they can successfully evaluate college playerswho they don't watch practice every single day then this should be easy. We could of easily signed Lewis last year to a 3 year 9-10 million dollar contract. Yes I know he said he wanted to wait but he had no idea how last season would turn out and he would of jumped on that money regardless of what he says now.

teegre
03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Hawaii & pete74,

Keenan Lewis is a great analogy.

[Side-note: The worst part about not resigning Lewis, is that he could have been signed for a very reasonable amount: $6 million (as opposed to the average for a starting CB: $8-9 million). I don't get it!!!]

Like AB: sign these players to cheap, long-term deals (5 years, $17 million) BEFORE they become superstars. The coaches might not know 100%... but, I'm sure that the coaches will be right 95% of the time. Since the coaches' gut instincts are usually spot on, I just don't get waiting until the player can demand TWICE as much.

steelers33,
As a rookie, Worilds used to show flashes or that speed... but... alas... he's added 20 pounds (and, in turn, looks much slower).

Steeldude
03-26-2013, 05:13 PM

He became less effective and more injury prone when he gained that weight. He needs to get back in shape.

IMO, 260+ is too heavy(depending on height) for an OLB in this scheme. Look at Woodley. He can't cover or seal the edge.

I would believe your post if he was playing LOLB. At ROLB I have trouble believing it can happen. We'll see. Hopefully you are right

steeltheone
03-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Hawaii & pete74,

Keenan Lewis is a great analogy.

[Side-note: The worst part about not resigning Lewis, is that he could have been signed for a very reasonable amount: $6 million (as opposed to the average for a starting CB: $8-9 million). I don't get it!!!]

Like AB: sign these players to cheap, long-term deals (5 years, $17 million) BEFORE they become superstars. The coaches might not know 100%... but, I'm sure that the coaches will be right 95% of the time. Since the coaches' gut instincts are usually spot on, I just don't get waiting until the player can demand TWICE as much.

steelers33,
As a rookie, Worilds used to show flashes or that speed... but... alas... he's added 20 pounds (and, in turn, looks much slower).Sounds good on paper, but signing Lewis last year at even 6 mill would have gotten you laughed out of Pittsburgh. AB had proven himself. Lewis was a mystery.

teegre
03-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Sounds good on paper, but signing Lewis last year at even 6 mill would have gotten you laughed out of Pittsburgh. AB had proven himself. Lewis was a mystery.

That's why I suggested 5 years $17 million...

pete74
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Sounds good on paper, but signing Lewis last year at even 6 mill would have gotten you laughed out of Pittsburgh. AB had proven himself. Lewis was a mystery.

Maybe I'm mistaken but didn't Lewis get 6 million a year from the saints? If so we could easily of signed him to less then that and anyone who laughed would of been the fool after last season when he would of earned every penny of that money

Twentyvalve
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Exactly - this guy is playing for a contract. In Pittsburgh or elsewhere. That is motivation. He has much to prove, and he has the ability to prove it. If he does well, the Steelers need to reward him. That is the entire point of having starting players, no? Why have him play well just to lose him. In that case, don't even play him. That is not fair to Worlids though. Sigh . . .

pittpete
03-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Cortez Allen is obviously the DB they want starting.
It took Lewis 4 years to show that he was an above average corner.
He was not a playmaker on defense.
Cortez Allen looks to be a playmaker.
Lets hope he makes plays.

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Cortez Allen is obviously the DB they want starting.
It took Lewis 4 years to show that he was an above average corner.
He was not a playmaker on defense.
Cortez Allen looks to be a playmaker.
Lets hope he makes plays.

I totally agree with you. I like Allen better than Lewis. So we'll see who makes the Pro Bowl first. My money would be on Allen.

And as far as Worilds getting 15 sacks, hey why not. He started 3 games last season and had 5 sacks playing part-time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Worilds outperforms Woodley, and it's Woodley the Steelers shake loose if it's anybody.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 08:24 PM
I totally agree with you. I like Allen better than Lewis. So we'll see who makes the Pro Bowl first. My money would be on Allen.

And as far as Worilds getting 15 sacks, hey why not. He started 3 games last season and had 5 sacks playing part-time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Worilds outperforms Woodley, and it's Woodley the Steelers shake loose if it's anybody.

He got 5 sacks as a LOLB. Left and Right Outside Linebacker positions aren't interchangeable. I don't think Worilds has the size or skillset to play on the right side, but I hope he proves me wrong. As I've said before, I certainly hope you guys are right about the whole 15 sack thing. Hell, even if he makes double-digit sacks I'd come back on here and eat my words.

I'm rootin' for ya, Jason.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
He got 5 sacks as a LOLB. Left and Right Outside Linebacker positions aren't interchangeable. I don't think Worilds has the size or skillset to play on the right side, but I hope he proves me wrong. As I've said before, I certainly hope you guys are right about the whole 15 sack thing. Hell, even if he makes double-digit sacks I'd come back on here and eat my words.

I'm rootin' for ya, Jason.

One sack came from the right that I can recall in the Denver game but he was unblock and had a free run at manning.

I like your attitude most people who doubt worilds seem like they don't want to see him succeed. Everyone should be rooting for him. And I can see a 10 sack year from him which will be very good IMO. Sacks/pressures will be important but more so his run defending as teams will test him early.

Can we deem worilds and Woodley as World War II?

The season can't come soon enough.

StainlessStill
03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Believe it or not, Worlids was all over the damn place last season whenever he got a shot at seeing the field. To see that kind of production from a player rotting on the bench in relief for Woodley or Harrison is a good sign. He also battled injuries from his young career and is already battle tested from that but I do NOT see another Alonzo Jackson from this man. He's going to get his shot and I'm sure he's takin this off-season pretty damn seriously.

JW needs to seize the moment. It's his turn, his shot and from I've seen last year, he has a knack to make plays. Hope he produces and grows right before our eyes.

austinfrench76
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I agree. Can't wait to see what he does. I think he'll play really well. But, his problem has been staying healthy so that will be the wild card!

STEELMANIAK
11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump, since well... I was right. :tt:

Roach
11-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Jason is playing very well, but unfortunately it's not exactly helping Jarvis out either.

harrison'samonster
11-30-2013, 10:02 AM
and just to be a jerk and stir the pot:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/11/10/sean-lee-injury-dallas-cowboys/

Lee must be overweight, out of shape, and lazy to get injured so much.

STEELMANIAK
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I really disliked the Jarvis Jones pick, not saying he may not turn out to be a great OLB but I think we had more pressing needs like NT, WR, CB...

Roach
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I really disliked the Jarvis Jones pick, not saying he may not turn out to be a great OLB but I think we had more pressing needs like NT, WR, CB...

I think the biggest hole will be the one Keisel leaves. Ziggy is no Aaron Smith...

harrison'samonster
11-30-2013, 10:07 AM

time will tell. I think they were reacting to the loss of Harrison. I didn't particularly love the Jones pick, but he could turn out to be something special.

We all thought Allen was ready to step up as CB. We also thought McClendon was going to get it done at NT, I'm not ready to give up on him as a player, but don't think he is what we need in our 3-4. And we also believe in drafting WR later in the draft.

harrison'samonster
11-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I think the biggest hole will be the one Keisel leaves. Ziggy is no Aaron Smith...

I still say Ziggy redeems himself in the second half of his career. Even if he takes a small contract and plays it out in his current role. He adds value to this team and is a great off the field worker and great teammate.

Hawaii 5-0
12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Ziggy is no Aaron Smith...

very few DEs are...

The_Joker
12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
very few DEs are...

True enough.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
6 Worilds threads ?