PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in mix to host NFL season opener vs. Ravens

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Steelers in mix to host NFL season opener vs. Ravens

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, March 25, 2013

The Steelers could be in line to play host to the NFL's season-opening prime time game, one usually staged at the home of the Super Bowl champion.

Because the Baltimore Ravens cannot play at home on the night of Thursday, Sept. 5, when the NFL will open its season, Pittsburgh and Denver are two of the primary sites being considered by the league. The Chicago Bears also could be the opponent if the NFL decides to match the Ravens against an interconference opponent.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who announced last week at the annual NFL meetings that the Ravens would not open at home, wants a strong TV matchup for the season opener, and the Steelers and Broncos both offer that.

Ravens vs. Steelers is widely considered to be the NFL's best ongoing rivalry, with seven of the past nine games in the series decided by three points. The Ravens' overtime playoff win at AFC top-seeded Denver in January was one of the league's premier games of 2012.

The Ravens' other road opponents Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Miami and Buffalo wouldn't offer nearly as attractive an opening night TV matchup.

Ravens-Steelers games normally get high TV ratings and often are played at night. The AFC North rivals played a Sunday night game in Pittsburgh last season and a late Sunday afternoon game in Baltimore that drew the NFL's 19th largest TV audience of the season.

The Ravens cannot play at home on Sept. 5 because the Orioles are locked into a night game that cannot be moved, and the two teams share parking facilities. The NFL also won't play a night earlier, on Sept. 4, because it is the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashanah.

The Steelers would not have any baseball conflicts on Sept. 5 because the Pirates will be on a road trip. Baseball also isn't a problem in Denver; the Rockies, who play in a different part of town than the Broncos do, are idle that night.

The Steelers declined to comment on the possibility of opening the NFL season at home. The NFL is expected to announce the opening night matchup before the 2013 league schedule is released April 16.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3726238-74/nfl-ravens-steelers#ixzz2OfogaaaX

The_Joker
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
We'd kick their asses, so would Denver or Chicago.

Their fucked regardless hahaha.

vasteeler
03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
i hope it not us in the first game. i would rather play them closer to the end of the season

WVABE
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Why does the NFL give a shit about a jewish holiday?
Sundays are a Christian holiday, but I guess fuck them.

teegre
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
i hope it not us in the first game. i would rather play them closer to the end of the season

Normally, I would agree: Pittsburgh plays them better in Oct and later.

But, next year, I would rather play Baltimore early... when Baltimore is still trying to figure out who is going to play RCB, ILB, OLB, Flanker, and RG. They are going to be in disarray for at least four games.

vasteeler
03-26-2013, 06:03 PM

But, next year, I would rather play Baltimore early... when Baltimore is still trying to figure out who is going to play RCB, ILB, OLB, Flanker, and RG. They are going to be in disarray for at least four games.

thats exactly why i dont want to play them early. i love this rivalry and i want to see both teams in mid season form when we play. i do see however that playing them early would be to our advantage.

BmoreStyles
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
No disrespect to you guys, but considering the payback factor the Broncos have in for us, I'm really hoping we play at Pitt as opposed to at Denver in week one. It's the lesser of two evils, IMO.

Not to mention, Denver looks absolutely terrifying this coming season with the addition of Welker and the players will have had a full year to familiarize with Manning's system.

And there's no chance we play Chicago. There's just no storyline there at all. It'd be dumb compared to the other two possibilities.

Stu Pidasso
03-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Aren't we in the same boat?

pittpete
03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I pray we get to play them.
Can't take my son to his first home game due to conflicts with me coaching.
This would be a dream come true on a Thursday night.

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I pray we get to play them.
Can't take my son to his first home game due to conflicts with me coaching.
This would be a dream come true on a Thursday night.

Hey, I hope your dream comes true. I would rather the Steelers play the Ravens early rather than Week 11 and Week 13 like last season. Big Ben has a better chance of being healthy Week 1, rather than missing games against the Ravens like last season.

When I first heard the news that the Orioles wouldn't go along with the Ravens playing that Thursday night opener in Baltimore, the report I was listening to made it sound like the Ravens were going to get screwed out of a home game. Too good to be true. At least the Steelers are playing one away game at a neutral field, in London. I bet there are way more Steeler fans in London than Vikings fans at that game.. I mean, the Vikings once invaded England.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 08:21 PM
No disrespect to you guys, but considering the payback factor the Broncos have in for us, I'm really hoping we play at Pitt as opposed to at Denver in week one. It's the lesser of two evils, IMO.

Not to mention, Denver looks absolutely terrifying this coming season with the addition of Welker and the players will have had a full year to familiarize with Manning's system.

And there's no chance we play Chicago. There's just no storyline there at all. It'd be dumb compared to the other two possibilities.

We might have to start Charlie Batch against you guys. Or, we'll wait until we play you in M&T so he can beat you guys there again.

I hope this time we don't play the Ravens twice in three weeks. Who's dumbass idea was that last season? Also, make both games in primetime because we all know that ratings will shoot up during these games and it'll be the highest rated thing on TV that week. Don't put it at 1 or 4, put it at 8. Both times.

teegre
03-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Aren't we in the same boat?

Not to the same degree.

Pittsburgh's O-line did not leave/retire; it was injured. It will be running atfull strength much more quickly than the bunch of unknowns in Baltimore.

Likewise, Troy was injured; he didn't leave (Ed Reed & Marcus Pollard did leave). Troy was looking strong at the end of the season... and the safeties for the Ravens will be... uh...

Lewis left, but Allen is ready. Conversely, Cary Williams left... and... uh... the back-up (Jimmy Smith) could not beat out a dude that the Ravens picked up mid-season.

Anquan Boldin left... and so did Mike Wallace. That's a wash.

Lastly, The Knife AND Ellerbe AND Kruger left. Whereas, only James Harrison left. That's three holes versus one hole.

steelerchad
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Steelers are almost guaranteed to be at home week 1 this year. The Pirates have Sunday afternoon games on 9/15 and 9/22. They also have a game Monday night on 9/16 and I doubt we play Monday night on 9/23 since they are sending us overseas to play 6 days later in London on 9/29. Our schedule should be pretty F'd up with this stupid London trip, since they will likely give us a bye the week we get back.

Pirates play both Thursdays in week 2 and 3 also. Week 3 is a 12:35 business man's game. Unless they give us a Thursday night game in week 3 at home, I see us being home in week 1 (9/8) and not home again until wk 6 (10/13)

If they give us the week 3 Thursday night game, I doubt they give us the week 1 Thursday night opener against the Ravens.

sending us on the road for 3 straight weeks with one of them in London is B.S. though.

Blacksburg Zach
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Steelers are almost guaranteed to be at home week 1 this year. The Pirates have Sunday afternoon games on 9/15 and 9/22. They also have a game Monday night on 9/16 and I doubt we play Monday night on 9/23 since they are sending us overseas to play 6 days later in London on 9/29. Our schedule should be pretty F'd up with this stupid London trip, since they will likely give us a bye the week we get back.

Pirates play both Thursdays in week 2 and 3 also. Week 3 is a 12:35 business man's game. Unless they give us a Thursday night game in week 3 at home, I see us being home in week 1 (9/8) and not home again until wk 6 (10/13)

If they give us the week 3 Thursday night game, I doubt they give us the week 1 Thursday night opener against the Ravens.

sending us on the road for 3 straight weeks with one of them in London is B.S. though.

Don't put it past Goodell to do something like that.

teegre
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Perfect. Make it so!!!
Sincerely,
Roger Goodell

teegre
03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't put it past Goodell to do something like that.

Argh... you beat me to it. LOL

tanda10506
03-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Well last time we were pretty optimistic about opening against them and got TOTALLY embarrassed, so I won't be wishing for that again. Seems like our team is slow out of the gates the last few years. No doubt Baltimore lost a lot more then we have/will, Boldin IMO was a much better WR then Wallace and the entire core of the defense is gone, but I don't want to play them Week 1. Not to mention that's a waste of a great rivalry game, much like they did last year by putting them both within 3 weeks.