PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown, Ike Taylor Among NFL's Most Undervalued

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Cam Newton, Daryl Washington headline All-Underrated Team

By Elliot Harrison
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

Underrated. What exactly does this word mean?

Catch Me If You Can was an underrated movie. John Mayer certainly is not underrated. Merriam-Webster defines "underrate" as "to rate too low; undervalue."

OK, cool. But how does that apply to the NFL? Well, there are those players who don't seem to receive the attention they deserve, some to varying degrees. We endeavored to compile a list of those guys who seem to be batting well below .300 when it comes to getting the proper accolades, be it in terms of Pro Bowl voting or on their own team. On that note, here are some considerations:

"Underrated" is obviously a subjective style term. With some of these guys, you might stop and say, "People know that guy is good!" True that, but one Pro Bowler on our list receives the sixth-most attention on his own team.

Speaking of the Pro Bowl, no player listed below has been selected to more than one Pro Bowl. (Alternate/replacement nods don't count in these parts.)

These players are all major contributors, not glorified backups. We tried not to confuse underrated with "never heard of." While you know most players, these are guys who deserve some more props.

Oh, and one last thing: All you Vikings fans who were raging mad about Blair Walsh's exclusion from the All-Under-25 Team ... He didn't make this list, either. But two of his teammates slid in easily.

As always, send your thoughts -- especially additional suggestions for this team -- to @Harrison_NFL. Looking forward to your choices.

Enough with the accounting (what an awful class in college). Let's get to it!

Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers

Lost in all the Mike Wallace talk: the gifted receiver still on the Steelers' roster. Brown caught 66 balls and five touchdown passes despite missing three games. He had 1,108 yards in 2011.

Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers

Taylor has played a big role on several top-ranked defenses and three Super Bowl teams, yet he's never made a Pro Bowl. Last year, he allowed 29 completions in 73 pass attempts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153945/article/cam-newton-daryl-washington-headline-allunderrated-team

-- I definitely agree. Though, a quick thing, I'm not sure how undervalued Cam can be in only his second year, but that's nitpicking. I'm glad someone finally sees how valuable Ike Taylor is outside of Pittsburgh.

vasteeler
03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
ive always said ike would be HOF bound if he could just catch the damn ball

BmoreStyles
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Not sure if I agree with Brown being on there.... He's known. And respected. He's a multi-threat with his punt return skills. I feared Brown more than Wallace this past season. But I can understand Ike making the list, though I thought he had a mediocre year and even seemed susceptible at times.

Cam Newton is the biggest head scratcher. I hate to reference fantasy football, but I will, I've had him since he was a rookie and he's an absolute beast. He puts up big numbers every week. He is the Panthers' entire team.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Not sure if I agree with Brown being on there.... He's known. And respected. He's a multi-threat with his punt return skills. I feared Brown more than Wallace this past season. But I can understand Ike making the list, though I thought he had a mediocre year and even seemed susceptible at times.

Cam Newton is the biggest head scratcher. I hate to reference fantasy football, but I will, I've had him since he was a rookie and he's an absolute beast. He puts up big numbers every week. He is the Panthers' entire team.

Did I just agree with a Ravens fan on two separate points? Say it ain't so!

pete74
03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Brown dosnt belong on this list. He got a nice contract that puts him up there with some good players who have had much better seasons then him.

kan_t
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Timmons is so underrated that even the All-Underrated Team doesn't include him.

SteelersCanada
03-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm actually surprised that LT didn't make this list. There was only one Linebacker last year that had a better year and it wasn't statistically - Patrick Willis. He played at an All Pro level last year despite what McNabb said.