PDA

View Full Version : Worst Steelers Head Coach of All Time

truesteelerfan
03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Found this article on Bleacher Report - I know over our first decades - quite simply we were not the team we have been since the 70's - BUT, once I got to the end of the article - I was pretty amazed by what our former coach did - A story I had never heard of! Kind of entertaining but really pretty sad....

Pittsburgh Steelers: Walt Kiesling

Via nfl.com
Years: 1939-44, 1954-56

Overall Record: 30-55-5

Best Season: 7-4 (1942)

Worst Season: 0-10 (1944)*

Like the Ravens, it's almost impossible to choose a bad head coach in the recent history of the franchise. The last three hires—Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin—have all won Super Bowls.

But Pittsburgh's history was loaded with failures for its first 40-some years. And while there are a handful of terrible tenures to choose from in the franchise's history, I've chosen Walt "Keys" Kiesling for one simple reason.

This is not due to his winless 1944 season in which he was coaching a conglomerate of the Cardinals, Steelers and Eagles because of World War II.

According to the late Steelers founder Art Rooney, Kiesling once actually instructed his player to commit an offsides penalty. The story, as Rooney told it to NFL Films, goes like this:

Kiesling started every Steelers game off with the same play, a run-dive handoff up the middle. After this went on for several years, Rooney ordered Kiesling to start the game off differently, with a pass (which resulted in a long completion).

But because he didn't want Rooney to give him instructions for the rest of the year, he ordered an offensive lineman to commit a false start penalty so the play would be nullified.

:banging:

Vis
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
The current one after any loss

BKAnthem
03-27-2013, 06:38 PM
He should have been fired after that game

steeltheone
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
We have had only 3 in my lifetime and they have all been successful. That is something to be proud of!!

Quackjack
03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Pretty much.

Noll, Cowher and Tomlin are all awesome.

teegre
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
The current one after any loss

So, so true.

If Noll can be chastised after the 1977 play-off loss (when Bleier & Harris were both injured), then NO coach is safe from the ire of Steelers fans.

VaDave
03-28-2013, 06:44 AM
If you like Keisling's record, check out Bill Austin and Mike Nixon's.......

Also, Buddy Parker was a nut case, fired the whole team after a loss ( true story), but he managed to get a few more wins than average with some pretty good talent like Layne, Stautner, Lipscomb, and company.

FanSince72
03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
I can't wait for the "Exhume and Fire Walt Kiesling " thread.

ebsteelers
03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
i thought mike tomlin was the worst steelers coach of all time according to steelersfever?

Blacksburg Zach
03-29-2013, 11:32 AM
i thought mike tomlin was the worst steelers coach of all time according to steelersfever?

Just the worst Steelers coach? According to Steelers Fever Forums, Mike Tomlin is the worst head coach in the history of the National Football League.

SteelersCanada
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Just the worst Steelers coach? According to Steelers Fever Forums, Mike Tomlin is the worst head coach in the history of the National Football League.

We should hire Rex and Rob Ryan to run our entire organization, not just the team. The meddlesome Rooney's should just give them the organization. Anyone but that terrible Mike Tomlin, right?

teegre
03-29-2013, 11:46 AM

He's the worst coach in ANY sport: football, basketball, tiddly-winks...

ebsteelers
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
He's the worst coach in ANY sport: football, basketball, tiddly-winks...

lol there we go...

mike tomlin doesnt even deserve to coach the local pop warner team

:rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
03-29-2013, 03:27 PM
lol there we go...

mike tomlin doesnt even deserve to coach the local pop warner team

:rofl:

hell, Tomlin is so bad he probably couldn't even beat out the water boy...:chuckle:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRJKmzQAkmJuF6nGvB4vZ253rNaMu0t n0mG7fp29EWnKWvwiMG

mikegrimey
03-30-2013, 08:22 AM
That is epically bad coaching. I understand having an ego as a leader, you don't want someone telling you what to do, but to intentionally sabtoge your own team... as a head coach, is a new level of awful.

teegre
03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
True story:
Tomlin was coaching his son's T-ball team, and half of the players were running around in circles, throwing dirt clods, and/or staring at the clouds while chewing on their gloves.

That should tell you something about his ability to coach in the NFL.

FrancoLambert
03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
True story:
Tomlin was coaching his son's T-ball team, and half of the players were running around in circles, throwing dirt clods, and/or staring at the clouds while chewing on their gloves.

That should tell you something about his ability to coach in the NFL.

At least they were in the dirt and using their gloves.

I coached my son's co-ed T-ball team years ago and once we had a circle of girls sitting in the outfield.
When I went out to check on them and asked what they were doing, their reply was "looking for 4-leaf clovers."

harrison'samonster
03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
At least they were in the dirt and using their gloves.

I coached my son's co-ed T-ball team years ago and once we had a circle of girls sitting in the outfield.
When I went out to check on them and asked what they were doing, their reply was "looking for 4-leaf clovers."

:chuckle: you interrupted an important search for 4-leaf clovers!