PDA

View Full Version : Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
March 25, 2013

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOlPdmoLin8KEigXOhZ9URHmlgbNpzk jN4vKrmnKn8652Fzc7t

While the Baltimore Ravens filled their need for another pass rusher by signing veteran Elvis Dumervil over the weekend, the Pittsburgh Steelers might be targeting a rookie to help take the place of five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison, who the team released two weeks ago in a cost-cutting move.

Reports have surfaced that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year might be willing to return to Pittsburgh, but general manager Kevin Colbert has never been one to wait for replacement options and, judging by his appearance Monday at a private workout for Ohio State pass rusher John Simon, Harrison may have waited too long.

Colbert was the headliner among representatives from 12 teams at Simon's workout, according to a report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

The 6-1, 257-pound Simon starred as a defensive end for the Buckeyes but will likely have to make the transition to outside linebacker in the NFL at this size. He struggled when asked to do so in Mobile, Ala., during Senior Bowl practices before succumbing to a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined at the combine and during Ohio State's originally scheduled Pro Day, March 8.

Despite being hampered by a knee injury that limited him to just 11 games in 2012, Simon was named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year with 44 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and a career-high nine sacks. On more than one occasion, the high-effort Simon was characterized by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer as the "heart and soul" of the team.

Simon demonstrated enough athleticism during his drills Monday to reassure scouts from 3-4 clubs of his ability to pressure the quarterback as a stand-up rusher. He was clocked between 4.62 and 4.70 in the 40-yard dash and posted times of 4.42 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.10 in the three-cone drill. These times are in line with some of the other intriguing "second-tier" hybrid edge rushers of the 2013 draft class, like Auburn's Corey Lemonier and Southern Mississippi's Jamie Collins, among others.

Sporting similarly compact builds, as well as burst and power, Simon and the 6-0, 242-pound Harrison have a lot of similarities in the way that they wreak havoc off the edge.

If healthy, Simon could prove to be an immediate impact defender likely to be available in the second to third round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21948961/pro-days-steelers-gm-colbert-might-see-harrison-clone-in-buckeyes-simon

MeanGee2047
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
FO has to do something....defense is bleeding out right now....

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:10 AM
FO has to do something....defense is bleeding out right now....

no kidding, we definitely need to select an ILB, an OLB, a FS and a SS in this draft.

VaDave
03-28-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm leery of Ohio State players in general. To me it seems like too few light it up big time in the NFL that get drafted, especially their "Stars". Either they're a head case, have drug problems, injury prone, or just plain old can't get the job done.

Rabbit
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
We've drafted 4 Ohio State players in the last three drafts. Wouldn't be a shocker.

austinfrench76
03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Completely disagree about OSU players. Cam has been fine, he hasn't had a chance to play!

VaDave
03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Cam is Hood revisited. Tons of talent that just don't seem to play football real well. Cam will play when Cam plays well. To date Cam has not been able to beat out an aging DE, and a guy that isn't worth a clump of farts. It's not saying much.

Just asking Austin, but just how many All-Pro players have there been from THE Ohio State U in the last 5 years? Pro-Bowl? Highly rated?.....

For a major college program that gets the press they get year in and year out, unless most of their players go on to be come nuclear physicists, or rocket scientists, they seem to have a disportional representation when it comes to great players in the NFL.

pczach
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
I don't know how so many here can claim that Ziggy and Cam suck. They play on the #1 defense in the league, were #2 in the league against the run, and allow the LB to make plays when they do their jobs. I'd say they're doing their jobs pretty well. I'm not saying that they are elite players yet, but to say they can't play just isn't right. Hood can still get better, and I think Cam has a chance to be a dominant pass rusher. I think their best football is ahead of them.

Rabbit
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Will Smith, Chris Gamble, Michael Jenkins, Will Allen, Shane Olivea, Mike Nugent, AJ Hawk, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Hartline, Cam Heyward, Mike Adams

All Ohio State alums drafted in the past decade who were decent and had or have starting jobs in the NFL

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Will Smith, Chris Gamble, Michael Jenkins, Will Allen, Shane Olivea, Mike Nugent, AJ Hawk, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Hartline, Cam Heyward, Mike Adams

All Ohio State alums drafted in the past decade who were decent and had or have starting jobs in the NFL

aloha Rabbit,

just wanted to let you know I have been very impressed by the quality of your recent posts. keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :drink:

Rabbit
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Much appreciated.

I just wanted to squash the common misconception that big time pro pipeline schools produce a lot of overrated players. The fact is, when you have teams that consistently pump out professional talent like Urban Meyer at Florida, Tressel at Ohio State, and Saban at Alabama, there's just no way you can expect every player that leaves the school to become a quality starter at the next level.

The reason some of these prospects are heralded is because when you're on a dominant college program, you're going to end up in the spotlight. You have your fair share of guys that don't pan out, but at the same time these programs are going to major bowl games year in and year out for a reason. Nobody's gonna sit here and say that we shouldn't draft players from Kent State because of the ratio of poor NFL talent they've produced against Jack Lambert, James Harrison, Josh Cribbs, Julian Edelman, etc., because nobody expects anything out of small school players.

The big school market obviously drives some players' values up higher than they should be, but at the end of the day, those schools are producing quality NFL talent more often than not.

lloydwoodson
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Cam is Hood revisited. Tons of talent that just don't seem to play football real well. Cam will play when Cam plays well. To date Cam has not been able to beat out an aging DE, and a guy that isn't worth a clump of farts. It's not saying much.

Just asking Austin, but just how many All-Pro players have there been from THE Ohio State U in the last 5 years? Pro-Bowl? Highly rated?.....

For a major college program that gets the press they get year in and year out, unless most of their players go on to be come nuclear physicists, or rocket scientists, they seem to have a disportional representation when it comes to great players in the NFL.

I'm going to remember this post because as soon as Heyward starts he is on the fast track for the Pro Bowl. Heyward was on pace to have 79 tackles if he had played as many snaps as Keisel! 79 for a 3-4 DE! Heyward is going to be a top 5 3-4 DE in the league for years to come.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Bob Labriola‏@BobLabriola:

1st day of draft visits for the Steelers: Texas A&M RB Christine Michael, Ohio St. OLB John Simon, Florida State ILB Vince Williams.

https://twitter.com/BobLabriola/statuses/318778997758636032

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Cam is Hood revisited. Tons of talent that just don't seem to play football real well. Cam will play when Cam plays well. To date Cam has not been able to beat out an aging DE, and a guy that isn't worth a clump of farts. It's not saying much

Daaaaave, c'mon man, you know as well as I do that it doesn't matter what kind of play the guys behind seasoned veterans had. McLendon outperformed Hampton every time he was in there and still sat behind him. Heyward could've had 12 sacks and 20 TFL and he'd still be sitting behind Keisel. It doesn't help any that Keisel is the defensive captain and automatically sees playing time regardless of whether or not his play warrants it. I don't know that Cam is a LDE which is (seemingly) what Hood has "locked down" right now. I think they're trying to use Hood in a bunch of different looks but nothing seems to be clicking.

It's time for Cameron to start. Every time he sees snaps, he outperforms Keisel by a fairly substantial margin.

Steeldude
04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
How will he do as a LB? Can he cover?

http://theozone.net/football/2012/postseason/Simon_Sr.Bowl_LB.html

“It was a rough day for Ohio State linebacker John Simon, who looked like a fish out of water attempting to cover running backs and tight ends one-on-one in man coverage,” NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Dane Brugler wrote for CBS Sports.

“He often found himself turned around, lacking the natural hip movement or footwork to quickly adjust and blanket his man.”

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-senior-bowl-north-monday-practice-notes.html

The Senior Bowl has Ohio State’s John Simon at linebacker, which is just tough to watch when he’s in space. He struggled throughout practice in coverage, and obviously looks out of place there. The plan is to play the SLBs line him in a 4-3 Under (almost a 5-2) so he’s closer to the line like a 3-4 linebacker, but he’ll continue to look poor in generic linebacker drills…because he isn’t a generic linebacker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-senior-bowl-north-monday-practice-notes.html

How often were Woodley, Harrison, Porter, Haggans, Gildon, Lloyd, etc. asked to cover?

Just need a guy that can 1. be strong against the run 2. rush the passer 3. be able to drop into a hook/curl zone in pass coverage.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM

I don't think Simon had ever played as a stand-up LB before...

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Nope. He hasn't. Which makes spending a 2nd/3rd on him risky.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Nope. He hasn't. Which makes spending a 2nd/3rd on him risky.

Jason Worilds was a 4-3 DE at Va Tech, I'm pretty sure he had never played stand-up LB before either and we drafted him in the 2nd round.

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
And right now we're going back to the well for another OLB because we're unsure if Worilds is capable of starting.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
And right now we're going back to the well for another OLB because we're unsure if Worilds is capable of starting.

good point!

not to mention striking out on the likes of Bruce Davis...

desertsteel
04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Heyward is going to be a top 5 3-4 DE in the league for years to come.
Let's just hope it's with the Steelers.

desertsteel
04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Jason Worilds was a 4-3 DE at Va Tech, I'm pretty sure he had never played stand-up LB before either and we drafted him in the 2nd round.

H5-0, do you realize that you have L. Bell listed as a WR in your mock?

3(79) Le'Veon Bell WR Mich St

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
H5-0, do you realize that you have L. Bell listed as a WR in your mock?

3(79) Le'Veon Bell WR Mich St

Mahalo desertsteel for pointing that out to me! :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
good point!

not to mention striking out on the likes of Bruce Davis...

do you realize that Cliff Avril was taken 4 picks after Bruce Davis? :doh:

and Worilds was taken 3 picks ahead of Sean Lee. :doh: :doh: Avril and Lee were household names, while Davis and Worilds were lesser known and now lesser performers.

teegre
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
do you realize that Cliff Avril was taken 4 picks after Bruce Davis? :doh:

and Worilds was taken 3 picks ahead of Sean Lee. :doh: :doh: Avril and Lee were household names, while Davis and Worilds were lesser known and now lesser performers.

JerMichael Finley, Cliff Avril, and the guy that I really, really wanted: Philip Wheeler.

Heck, Mario Manningham would have been a nice #3 WR.

Hindsight is 20/20. And, honeslty, in college, out on the west coast, Bruce Davis was a fairly well-known sack machine. Could he play OLB? Obviously not, but it was not as bad of a pick as we all tend to make it be... although, the fact that three Pro-Bowlers were drafted right after Davis doesn't help with the disdain.

My reaction (in 2008) to not getting Wheeler: "Well, Davis can be a third-down pass-rusher... I think."

My reaction (in 2010) to not getting either Sean Lee or Toby Gerhardt: "Uh... who is Worilds??? Oh, it says that he can sack the QB. Worilds can be a third-down pass-rusher... I think."

Steel_Bus_24
04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
My big problem/fear with worilds...is even if he has this inner beast -mode inside of him.....he still won't be able to stay on the field due to constant injuries

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-02-2013, 01:58 AM
My reaction (in 2010) to not getting either Sean Lee or Toby Gerhardt: "Uh... who is Worilds??? Oh, it says that he can sack the QB. Worilds can be a third-down pass-rusher... I think."

I'm going to feed the tomlin haters here but I read somewhere ill try to locate the article but in the draft room the steelers were going to pick lee but tomlin wouldn't let it happen and made his case for worilds and thus is the reason we have worilds not lee.

I think worilds will do just fine. I'm a believer but lets not go to crazy worilds to the point where we can't sign you. Talk about a double edge sword

teegre
04-02-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm going to feed the tomlin haters here but I read somewhere ill try to locate the article but in the draft room the steelers were going to pick lee but tomlin wouldn't let it happen and made his case for worilds and thus is the reason we have worilds not lee.

I think worilds will do just fine. I'm a believer but lets not go to crazy worilds to the point where we can't sign you. Talk about a double edge sword

Yep.

Tomlin wanted a pass-rusher. And, that is exactly what Worilds was at Va Tech. In hindsight, maybe he should have listened to Colbert.

pete74 & I were saying just that (in another thread): it's a Catch-22. Of Worilds has a great year, he'll be unsignable (or, at least, very expensive). If Worilds has a bad year, so will the Steelers. [I'm hoping for a ten-sack year. Why? Better to get one good year from him, than no good years.]

kan_t
04-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Worilds has shown that he can get to the QB if he's given chances last season. I view him as another Kruger, which means the Steelers need to find a replacement in this year draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-02-2013, 09:40 AM
JerMichael Finley, Cliff Avril, and the guy that I really, really wanted: Philip Wheeler.

Heck, Mario Manningham would have been a nice #3 WR.

Hindsight is 20/20. And, honeslty, in college, out on the west coast, Bruce Davis was a fairly well-known sack machine. Could he play OLB? Obviously not, but it was not as bad of a pick as we all tend to make it be... although, the fact that three Pro-Bowlers were drafted right after Davis doesn't help with the disdain.

My reaction (in 2008) to not getting Wheeler: "Well, Davis can be a third-down pass-rusher... I think."

I knew very little of Bruce Davis, I think I and many others wanted Cliff Avril. The first time I googled video of Davis, I saw him run around blocks instead of taking them on and I thought "this guy is going to be a project". The Steelers went on his very fast 3 cone drill and loved his quickness better than his production.

Then in the 4th I still wanted an O lineman and was pimping Carl Nicks, but instead we got Tony Hills. :doh:

With Worilds, the front office I think went with his timed quickness numbers again. They reached and didnt take BPA, who I thought was Lee. Now we are thin at both ILB and OLB.

When a team like the Steelers seldom gets players in Free Agency, they cant afford to miss on guys in the draft as frequently as they have. That is why they were home watching the playoffs.