PDA

View Full Version : Porter changes his tune

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Porter changes his tune
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Joey Porter cut through gaps and sliced around offensive linemen Monday afternoon, running with passion and showing no signs of knee problems that delayed the start of his training camp.
When it came to reversing his field, however, the Steelers' Pro Bowl outside linebacker saved his best work for after practice. Four days after telling the NFL Network he is underpaid and considering holding out, Porter changed his stance Monday.

Asked specifically whether he's happy with his contract, which will pay him $3.85 million this year and $5 million in 2007, Porter said his presence in training camp should be taken as a positive answer.

"I've been here; I've been here the whole time," Porter said. "(Holding out) was something that was not going to happen. If I was angry or grumpy or something, I wouldn't have been here. ... I don't know what the argument is about. I'm here, I'm talking to all my coaches, I'm happy. I'm still breaking the team down, and my leadership role hasn't changed. I'm still out there doing my thing."

Porter, 29, led all NFL linebackers with 10 1/2 sacks last year and had three more in the playoffs while helping lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship. He ranks sixth on the team's all-time list with 53 and needs one more to surpass Greg Lloyd.

The average annual value of Porter's contract, which he signed in February 2004, is $4.354 million. That ranks 11th among all outside linebackers and is a far cry from the $7.71 million that Julian Peterson, the league's highest-paid outside linebacker, will make this year after signing with the Seattle Seahawks as a free agent.

Porter said the media is to blame for his comments becoming a hot topic since they were uttered Thursday.

"When you guys don't have a thumb or wreck to talk about, you're going to look for the next best thing and create a story," Porter said. "Well, I don't have a story for you."

Porter's comments contrast with what came out of his mouth last week. Porter not only said he is underpaid -- "I definitely feel that I have outplayed the contract that I am under" -- but he also said coach Bill Cowher had to talk him into reporting to camp on time.

"We had a talk, and it was, 'I need you.' I was unhappy," Porter told the NFL Network. "There was no use lying about it. I wasn't going to talk to anybody and just play football since they made it the business it is. I was ready to just come out here and give them the business.

"I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody, but me having a talk with coach Cowher and the relationship we have, I feel like I can suck it in, even though I'm not happy with the contract, go out there for coach Cowher and play like I know how to play and just put it all in God's hands and see what happens next year."

Porter said yesterday that the media was reporting "old news" about his contract situation even though last week's television interview was the first time he publicly talked about his deal since May. Other reporters asked Porter about his contract, but he kept declining comment until NFL player Marshall Faulk, moonlighting as a co-host on the league's TV network, broached the subject Thursday.

"That's been over months ago," Porter said yesterday. "We don't even talk about it. That was the media's first time hearing about it, so you want to make a story out of it and say it is a distraction. There is no distraction. I've been here, I've been participating and doing everything I can. There is no story. ... You guys saw the NFL Network and said, 'Let's bring that back.' There was nothing there."

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who held out of training camp last year when he had one year left on his deal, said neither Porter's words nor his contract situation have been issues this summer.

"Players don't read much into it," Ward said. "He showed up on time. He's here, he's working his butt off, he's rehabbed (his knee injury), and he's out there being a leader. What he says doesn't concern us because we know what Joey is going to bring to the table each and every weekend."

Porter said he's through talking about the subject.

"I'm not going to keep creating something for you guys to talk about," he said. "If you didn't watch the NFL Network, you missed it. That was it, and that's all."

stlrtruck
08-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Porter showing that class that makes steelers players - STEELERS!

I'm happy to see that he's changing his tune. This should hopefully work in his favor when negotiations start. I just hope he's willing to keep the team together more so than break the bank!!

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 07:21 AM
It wasn't the media's fault that Porter decided to get on national TV and complain about his contract. I'm not the biggest fan of the media (locally or nationally), but I can't blame them for responding to Porter's comments. What did he expect exactly?

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Peezy is Peezy.....everyone here knows what we are getting and what we will be getting....

I read nothing into this...he was on time..he's rehabbed...and from all indications...he's ready to roll...

Let the big dog yap (like only Peezy can)....then let the big dog hunt...

GOD...I cant wait for September 7....

:cool: :cool:

floodcitygirl
08-22-2006, 07:30 AM
It wasn't the media's fault that Porter decided to get on national TV and complain about his contract. I'm not the biggest fan of the media (locally or nationally), but I can't blame them for responding to Porter's comments. What did he expect exactly?I agree and I can't imagine that behind the scenes that those comments went over very well. Hopefully he is happy and done talking about it publicly and everyone will move on.

Livinginthe past
08-22-2006, 07:33 AM
There was so much back-pedalling in the last interview with Porter that I half expect him to pull a T.O. and wear a Tour-de-France jersey to practice.

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 07:33 AM
I agree and I can't imagine that behind the scenes that those comments went over very well. Hopefully he is happy and done talking about it publicly and everyone will move on.

Neither can I and so do I.....lol.

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 07:35 AM
There was so much back-pedalling in the last interview with Porter that I half expect him to pull a T.O. and wear a Tour-de-France jersey to practice.

NM

Never....ever....happen.....

MyCuz64Furness
08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I feel like Porter is a loaded gun....thats what makes him great......maybe when he's riled up diplomacy isn't the first thing that comes to his mind.....he says it the way he feels.......and I'm sure there are times like this one when he may after the fact wish he hadn't been as harsh..............BUT....hes a great player and if hes in camp and working his butt off and showing up......I'll give him the benefit.......

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 07:41 AM
See?...thats the whole thing right there.....

If Peezy was all quiet and withdrawn...Id be way worried...

But he's not...he's already starting to fire things up...thats how Peezy rolls....and I like it like that!!!

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 07:46 AM

NM

I wouldn't go that far. As Floodcitygirl stated, I believe behind closed doors his comments did not go over very well. Just one more distraction to pile on and a situation where I believe "no comment" would have been better off. There are times you open your mouth and times that you should just keep it shut, supposed "leaders" should know when to do that.

But I don't think you will ever see it get to the "T.O. level". That's just crazy. Hopefully Porter will now shut his mouth and play the game and this will be put behind us. The more he talks, the more the media has to write about. He's been around long enough to understand that point.

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't go that far. As Floodcitygirl stated, I believe behind closed doors his comments did not go over very well. Just one more distraction to pile on and a situation where I believe "no comment" would have been better off. There are times you open your mouth and times that you should just keep it shut, supposed "leaders" should know when to do that.

But I don't think you will ever see it get to the "T.O. level". That's just crazy. Hopefully Porter will now shut his mouth and play the game and this will be put behind us. The more he talks, the more the media has to write about. He's been around long enough to understand that point.

Agreed 83....but.....

As we saw with the Super Bowl....

Peezy creates these situations to take the magnifying glass off of his teammates...not as an ego thing...but as a leadership ploy...

It is my firm belief that Joey actually does not like the scrutiny, but as a leader on this team...takes it on for the betterment of his teammates...

I may get flamed for my stance on this...but oh well...

Keep yapping Peezy...we got Miami in 16 days.....

X-Terminator
08-22-2006, 07:52 AM

NM

There's just one small difference...Peezy is a team player, whereas T.O. is a "ME" player. The fact that he showed up to camp and is busting his ass every day is testament to that, because he could have easily taken the selfish route and held out. We've already seen what T.O. does when he isn't happy with his contract, so the comparison, quite frankly, is ridiculous.

HometownGal
08-22-2006, 07:53 AM
"I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody, but me having a talk with coach Cowher and the relationship we have, I feel like I can suck it in, even though I'm not happy with the contract, go out there for coach Cowher and play like I know how to play and just put it all in God's hands and see what happens next year."

Gotta love Peezy's attitude - it's what makes him click. He's putting his teammates and his coach ahead of his own feelings and is ready to get out there and shake, rattle and roll. When Joey isn't flapping his yap, it always concerns me - he's back to flappin' and that can only mean one thing - look out - Joey's back. :bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 07:54 AM
I gotta disagree with you BNG203 (very odd)..lol.

Last season I believe that was the case with certain situations. But I don't buy into that scenario with this situation. Porter is pissed because he wants a new contract. That's the bottomline in the my opinion. He opened his mouth and complained on national tv and now he's blaming the media for breaking and commenting on the story. I can't imagine Rooney sitting at his desk thinking "this is perfect, Porter is opening his mouth and complaining about his contract while taking the heat off of Cowher and Ben". I just don't see it with this situation. It's all about wanting more green.

Once again, I'm a Porter fan. I love his leadership qualities and I love the way he plays, but at times he needs to keep his mouth shut. I know, I know...."It's not the Porter way", but that doesn't make it right (excuse?) in my book.

Livinginthe past
08-22-2006, 07:55 AM

Ok 83,

I realised after I typed it that it looks like im saying T.O and Porter are similar - it was just an attempted 'quip' on the back pedalling/tour de france.

I need to work on my quips!:cool:

NM

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Ok 83,

I realised after I typed it that it looks like im saying T.O and Porter are similar - it was just an attempted 'quip' on the back pedalling/tour de france.

NM

LOL...Wow LITP...a rare miss!!!

You are actually quite the quipper!!!

DiggetyDank
08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, TO is basically on his own planet when it comes to dealing with teams. I think the thing that would make him most happy is allowing him to just hire himself out to any team on a game-by-game basis.

Peezy was most likely just yapping to get a contract next year. I'm not going to be some Homer though - as much of a team player he says he is, he would have definitely held out of this was a contract year. That's what players like him do - they hold out. I see us dealing him next year anyway - he's still good, but he's old and Cowher appears to have a tree growing in the yard that he can just pick good LBs from.

HometownGal
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Ok 83,

NM

Did you have spiked tea with those crumpets this morning? :smile: :wink02:

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Yeah, TO is basically on his own planet when it comes to dealing with teams. I think the thing that would make him most happy is allowing him to just hire himself out to any team on a game-by-game basis.

Peezy was most likely just yapping to get a contract next year. I'm not going to be some Homer though - as much of a team player he says he is, he would have definitely held out of this was a contract year. That's what players like him do - they hold out. I see us dealing him next year anyway - he's still good, but he's old and Cowher appears to have a tree growing in the yard that he can just pick good LBs from.

he's old??

Uh...he's 29......

DiggetyDank
08-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I mean old enough that we can replace him with a younger player - while there will of course be a drop-off, we don't have to sign him to a multi-year deal or something and we'll have enough to sign troy, ben and what have you.

I mean, can you see Porter taking a pay-cut? Many players of his caliber simply don't do that.

Livinginthe past
08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Did you have spiked tea with those crumpets this morning? :smile: :wink02:

I'll get Jeeves to have a word with the maid - see if she anything unusual while she was preparing elevenses :cool:

NM

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM
I'll get Jeeves to have a word with the maid - see if she anything unusual while she was preparing elevenses :cool:

NM

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

you british kook you!!!

HometownGal
08-22-2006, 09:21 AM

NM

LMAO!!! :sofunny: Could have been the bubbles and squeak that you had for lunch, too. :wink02: