PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace turned down more money with Vikes?

Bayz101
03-28-2013, 10:39 PM
The Miami Dolphins handed Mike Wallace the richest contract among this year's free agents, good for $27 million in guarantees and $60 million over five years.

To hear Wallace's father tell it, the speedy wide receiver's pay day could have been even higher. Mike Wallace Jr. claims his son actually turned down more money from the Minnesota Vikings. The St. Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks were among the teams that also showed interest, according to Wallace's dad.

A native of New Orleans, Wallace has had designs on heading south since the Pittsburgh Steelers neglected to meet his long-term contract demands last offseason.

"The (Vikings) had come to the point where they were telling him, 'You don't have to live here, just be here during the season,' " Wallace's dad recently told The Miami Herald. "He wanted to get out of that snow and cold weather."

The mutual attraction between Wallace and the Dolphins was the worst-kept secret heading into the free agency period.

Read more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155184/article/mike-wallace-reportedly-turned-down-more-money-from-vikings

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami doesn't have state taxes, right?

SteelersCanada
03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
I hope he enjoys the warm weather as Darrelle Revis is holding him to 0 catches.

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I hope he enjoys the warm weather as Darrelle Revis is holding him to 0 catches.

Mike Wallace won't care, he has his $30 million guaranteed.

SteelersCanada
03-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Mike Wallace won't care, he has his $30 million guaranteed.

And I think this is the real problem here.

MACH1
03-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Yay another wallace thread. :wink:

tony hipchest
03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
The Miami

Miami doesn't have state taxes, right?texas, florida, alaska as far as i know...

good for mike. some people just love the dirty south. then theres desert rats like me who would die in minnesota winters and have no problem taking less money for a great place like arizona or new mexico to live. :hunch:

Rabbit
03-28-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't blame him. At least Tannehill has an arm, I lost count of all the open receivers Ponder missed downfield last season.

SteelersCanada
03-28-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't blame him. At least Tannehill has an arm, I lost count of all the open receivers Ponder missed downfield last season.

Ponder without Peterson is just a mess.

MACH1
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
texas, florida, alaska as far as i know...

good for mike. some people just love the dirty south. then theres desert rats like me who would die in minnesota winters and have no problem taking less money for a great place like arizona or new mexico to live. :hunch:

Nevada and Oregon also.

tony hipchest
03-29-2013, 12:22 AM
duh... how could i forget nevada. oregon suprises me. i wonder what extra revenue they have for the tax breaks?I hope he enjoys the warm weather as Darrelle Revis is holding him to 0 catches.

revis is coming off a broken wheel. wallace will eat his lunch and then leave him in the dust. that match-up is nothing more than the qb getting him the ball out front.

"revis" island will look like gilligans island if they dont have safety help over the top.

in other words "revis island" is more like revis penensula with the skipper there to help.

MACH1
03-29-2013, 12:28 AM
duh... how could i forget nevada. oregon suprises me. i wonder what extra revenue they have for the tax breaks?

revis is coming off a broken wheel. wallace will eat his lunch and then leave him in the dust. that match-up is nothing more than the qb getting him the ball out front.

"revis" island will look like gilligans island if they dont have safety help over the top.

in other words "revis island" is more like revis penensula with the skipper there to help.

Last time I went through Oregon you couldn't get out of your car to put gas in it. It's all full service and the price/tax reflects it. I do know all the bottles that have 5 or 10cents stamped on them can actually be turned in for value.

SteelersCanada
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Sorta like how Adrian Peterson was going to have a down year after his injury, too.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Didn't Revis shadow Emmanuel Sanders when we played the Jets? iirc they didn't want him matching up with Wallace because of the athletic mismatch and instead they had Cromartie play against him.

OX1947
03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Dude, every corner in the NFL is a jet. All you have to do to mess up Wallace is tap him on the shoulder and he will fall down. And if that dont work, he will get open and drop the ball and then still fall to avoid a hit.

teegre
03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Didn't Revis shadow Emmanuel Sanders when we played the Jets? iirc they didn't want him matching up with Wallace because of the athletic mismatch and instead they had Cromartie play against him.

Spot on. Cromartie has better straight-line speed.

btw: Sanders broke Revis' ankles many times throughout that day... (which might explain why the Taperiots would be interested in Sanders.)

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah. I faintly remembered that being the case. I always thought Revis was a little overrated because of that game. This guy who supposedly "TAKES AWAY YOUR #1 RECEIVER WITHOUT SAFETY HELP" was covering a rookie in the slot. Ehhhh.

teegre
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah. I faintly remembered that being the case. I always thought Revis was a little overrated because of that game. This guy who supposedly "TAKES AWAY YOUR #1 RECEIVER WITHOUT SAFETY HELP" was covering a rookie in the slot. Ehhhh.

I still think that Revis is amazing. But, some players just match up better against other players.

I remember Sterling Sharpe talking about how some random CB (I can't remember who) was the toughest CB he faced... but, that he did not mind playing against Rod Woodson. Sharpe clarified saying that HE matched up well against Rod, but that 99% of the WRs in the NFL would be dominated by Woodson.

Anyway... match ups.

Sort of like how Deion Sanders had trouble covering Andre Hastings in XXX.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Yeah, no, obviously Revis is still a great player. I just don't like the misconception that he always takes away a #1 receiver. Remember when he was covering Ted Ginn?

And got burned?

kan_t
03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
The Dolphins will be happy if the Jets put Revis on Wallace. Hartline will have a field day.

But the point is moot. Revis is likely be traded to NFC.

tony hipchest
03-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Sorta like how Adrian Peterson was going to have a down year after his injury, too.adrian peterson is a man's man.... a true stud. revis is a complete puss compared to him. they dont even belong in the same breath.

remember when william gay got trucked by adrian peterson?

revis woulda side stepped him like a freaking matador.

darelle should just let her husband do the work while she manages the check book and shops for curtains.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 02:03 AM
remember when william gay got trucked by adrian peterson?

maybe he's into that

tony hipchest
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Dude, every corner in the NFL is a jet. All you have to do to mess up Wallace is tap him on the shoulder and he will fall down. And if that dont work, he will get open and drop the ball and then still fall to avoid a hit.dude... i found your car. you might as well say every WR in the NFL is a jet. :hunch:
4.35- 4.65 whats the difference?

you sound like billy joel getting divorced from christy brinkley and claiming she was an ugly **** who had no clue what to do in bed. :noidea:

OX1947
03-29-2013, 02:27 AM
dude... i found your car. you might as well say every WR in the NFL is a jet. :hunch:
4.35- 4.65 whats the difference?

you sound like billy joel getting divorced from christy brinkley and claiming she was an ugly **** who had no clue what to do in bed. :noidea:

For that analagy to make sense, I would have been angry after he left, a few weeks ago not during the season. I wanted his ass out the moment that chicken shit bowed out the last game of the year to avoid getting hurt, just like he had for all of the year and half year in 2011.

Fuck Mike Wallace and fuck all the cancers that fucked up this year. If his speed was so jizz worthy, why didnt he burn Dallas or the Bengals weak ass pass defenses when it matter? Because he was too busy falling down from contact at the line of scrimmage. Or dropping passes from fear of getting hit so he can get his precious money. Maybe you should go to Miami and cheer him on. Or go to Arizona to hang with Fumblhall.

IowaSteeler927
03-29-2013, 04:46 AM
I'm glad Wallace is gone. Elite speed, mediocre hands, poor focus, and a shitty work ethic. I'm not a Wallace fan, never was. He's Darrius Heyward-Bey that was in a better situation playing with an Elite NFL Quarterback. Part of me wonders if Heyward-Bey wouldn't of been the better player if he had a guy like Roethlisberger chucking the rock at him.

Good riddance though. He can go drop passes, run out of bounds, and disappear for big games somewhere else. Sick of watching DBs manhandle him and watching him standing around instead of blocking. Pittsburgh was obviously too cold for him so I hope he enjoys the circus that is the Miami Dolphins organization, not that winning matters to him. All he cares about is the $$$.

jb500ex
03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm glad Wallace is gone. Elite speed, mediocre hands, poor focus, and a shitty work ethic. I'm not a Wallace fan, never was. He's Darrius Heyward-Bey that was in a better situation playing with an Elite NFL Quarterback. Part of me wonders if Heyward-Bey wouldn't of been the better player if he had a guy like Roethlisberger chucking the rock at him.

Good riddance though. He can go drop passes, run out of bounds, and disappear for big games somewhere else. Sick of watching DBs manhandle him and watching him standing around instead of blocking. Pittsburgh was obviously too cold for him so I hope he enjoys the circus that is the Miami Dolphins organization, not that winning matters to him. All he cares about is the $$$.

The thing is he won't be in anymore big games. He automatically loses the title of big game choke artist now smart signing by him. Just collect his guaranteed money and be forgotten. Hope he saves it as he will be cut first chance they can handle the cap hit

SteelerJay
03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
yuh gotta love how ex-Steelers become the worst football players around...too slow, can't catch, can't block, lol...

most times they're richer too

and fans get philosophical and hypocritical and say 'money ain't everything'

parting is such sweet sorrow, eh?

IowaSteeler927
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
yuh gotta love how ex-Steelers become the worst football players around...too slow, can't catch, can't block, lol...

most times they're richer too

and fans get philosophical and hypocritical and say 'money ain't everything'

parting is such sweet sorrow, eh?

I never liked Mike Wallace to begin with. Even during his two best seasons I felt he could have been better. Last year was inexcusable, he disappeared when we needed him the most. Let's just say around Christmas time when my Mom calls me asking me what I want for Christmas. I always tell her Steelers stuff. Hats, jerseys, knick knacks, whatever. I also always tell her that I don't want anything to do with Mike Wallace or Rashard Mendenhall. She asks why and I tell her that they are players that have talent but they let their egos get in the way of the game.

Watch the tape of Wallace from last year. He dropped way too many passes and a lot of them were right on the numbers or on his hands. He has always been a mediocre blocker, and I've watched him run out of bounds to avoid hits more often than I could keep count of. Given there's times for that, but sometimes a little extra yardage never hurts and whose to say the defender won't wiff on a tackle here and there. Mike Wallace simply lacked that "IT" factor that elite players like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Julio Jones, or Marques Colston possess. It's Fourth and Five with a minute left in the game and you're just out of field goal range. If you had your choice of your go to guy in that situation being Mike Wallace or all of the other aforementioned names I brought up who would you take? I damned sure wouldn't pick Wallace because talent wise, he's not even in the same dimension as the other guys.

Just my .02 cents. I'm not one of those fans that hates guys when they leave. Mendenhall and Wallace just really never impressed me. Guys like James Harrison, I wish them the best of luck. That guy played selflessly through injuries and left it all out on the field. William Gay when he left for the Cardinals, I wished him nothing but the best because I thought he really stepped up to the plate for us in 2011 the last season he was with our team.

teegre
03-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Wow... a Mike Wallace thread. Such a rare find... akin to stumbling upon a grain of sand at the beach.

TRH
03-29-2013, 08:56 AM
duh... how could i forget nevada. oregon suprises me. i wonder what extra revenue they have for the tax breaks?

as much as i hate to agree - i agree.
Revis, while very good, may be the most overrated player in the NFL by a far, far margin.

pete74
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
What could Wallace have done better his best two seasons? If you hate wallace for that then you must really hate Brown who hasn't done half as much.

I never liked Mike Wallace to begin with. Even during his two best seasons I felt he could have been better. Last year was inexcusable, he disappeared when we needed him the most. Let's just say around Christmas time when my Mom calls me asking me what I want for Christmas. I always tell her Steelers stuff. Hats, jerseys, knick knacks, whatever. I also always tell her that I don't want anything to do with Mike Wallace or Rashard Mendenhall. She asks why and I tell her that they are players that have talent but they let their egos get in the way of the game.

Watch the tape of Wallace from last year. He dropped way too many passes and a lot of them were right on the numbers or on his hands. He has always been a mediocre blocker, and I've watched him run out of bounds to avoid hits more often than I could keep count of. Given there's times for that, but sometimes a little extra yardage never hurts and whose to say the defender won't wiff on a tackle here and there. Mike Wallace simply lacked that "IT" factor that elite players like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Julio Jones, or Marques Colston possess. It's Fourth and Five with a minute left in the game and you're just out of field goal range. If you had your choice of your go to guy in that situation being Mike Wallace or all of the other aforementioned names I brought up who would you take? I damned sure wouldn't pick Wallace because talent wise, he's not even in the same dimension as the other guys.

Just my .02 cents. I'm not one of those fans that hates guys when they leave. Mendenhall and Wallace just really never impressed me. Guys like James Harrison, I wish them the best of luck. That guy played selflessly through injuries and left it all out on the field. William Gay when he left for the Cardinals, I wished him nothing but the best because I thought he really stepped up to the plate for us in 2011 the last season he was with our team.

SteelersCanada
03-29-2013, 09:31 AM
If you guys are talking about having Cromartie on Wallace this passed year, it was because Revis was already injured by that point and it became the next best CB to cover Wallace. On that same point, I would very much doubt they'd have Revis covering anyone other than Mike, let alone our third WR and not AB. I will say this regarding Revis' athleticism - he covers DJax and Megatron so I doubt they'd shy away from having him cover Wallace.

You guys sound like Richard Sherman. Revis isn't overrated. People point to his low interception numbers as a sign he's overrated, but it's hard to get interceptions when Quarterbacks never throw your way. Ever. I point you guys to the last time the Jets and Lions played - Megatron had one catch for 13 yards working against Revis. Nate Burleson - who I Cromartie had iirc - had 7 catches for 113 yards.

There's Darrelle Revis, and then there's every other CB in the league. It's not even close.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 11:20 AM
No, the game I was referring to was in 2010 when Sanders was a rookie.

Also, nobody judges corners based on interception statistics. There's a reason Kyle Warrington led the league in picks in 2011 and is looking for a home this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
No, the game I was referring to was in 2010 when Sanders was a rookie.

Also, nobody judges corners based on interception statistics. There's a reason Kyle Warrington led the league in picks in 2011 and is looking for a home this year.

You must be new to this board. There are masses of fans that believe Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis sucked because they don't get 6-8 INT's per year. I'm surprised they aren't pimping Warrington.

zcoop
03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
I still think that Revis is amazing. But, some players just match up better against other players.

I remember Sterling Sharpe talking about how some random CB (I can't remember who) was the toughest CB he faced... but, that he did not mind playing against Rod Woodson. Sharpe clarified saying that HE matched up well against Rod, but that 99% of the WRs in the NFL would be dominated by Woodson.

Anyway... match ups.

Sort of like how Deion Sanders had trouble covering Andre Hastings in XXX.

True dat, football is ultimately a game of match ups, especially at the skilled positions.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
You must be new to this board.

As someone who just hit the 30 post marker, yes. Yes, I am. :noidea:

bornaSteelersfan
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
You must be new to this board. There are masses of fans that believe Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis sucked because they don't get 6-8 INT's per year. I'm surprised they aren't pimping Warrington.

6-8 interceptions?! Hell, if either of them even had 1 or 2 we would be happy.

teegre
03-29-2013, 10:50 PM

El-Gonzo means: YOU are right.

By the way, you are a very welcome poster here. Keep it up.

AgentGold007
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Mike who?

steeltheone
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Welcome aboard!

IowaSteeler927
04-02-2013, 04:48 AM
What could Wallace have done better his best two seasons? If you hate wallace for that then you must really hate Brown who hasn't done half as much.

Because if Wallace could've focused he could've been so much better. He's got top flight speed but he lacks the all around talent to be the absolute best. If he'd apply himself and be a selfless player, he could be a great player. Instead he's content with just being good.

teegre
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Whew!!!

A Mike Wallace thread was NOT in the top fifteen threads... and I was getting a little worried.

Thanks iowasteel for maintaining the balance.

EbonySteel86
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I think Wallace played very conservative last year cause he knew a big payday was coming and not from the Steelers. I guess his philosophy was avoid injury at all cost. Also I would've took less for playing in Miami too. Isn't like $25mil guarantee is a drop on the bucket. I think most of these athletes in the nfl under Goodell are trying to get the big payday and bounce. Shame too.