PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu says players should have a vote in rule changes

fer522
03-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu says that if the NFL is going to keep passing rules designed to protect the players, the players should get a vote in those rules.

“There’s rule changes every year,” Polamalu said in an interview on SportsCenter. “I do wish, however, that the NFL did have a voice from the players’ side, whether it’s our players’ union president, or team captains, or our executive committee on the players’ side. Because we’re the guys that realize the risk, we’re the guys on the field.”

Polamalu made his statements within the context of a discussion of the new rule against delivering forcible blows with the top of the helmet outside the tackle box — a rule change that the Competition Committee did, in fact, ask for player input on before presenting the change to the owners, who approved it by a vote of 31-1. Polamalu said that while he’ll learn to live with the rule, he worries that the game is changing too much.

“We’re professional athletes, so we can adjust, but we grow up understanding instinctively how to play the game of football, and it’s really hard to say, ‘OK, eventually I’m not going to be able to use my head, or wrap with my arms’ or whatever it may be,” Polamalu said. “I think you can only do so much to the game before you really start to change the essence of our sport. Our sport is not made for anybody to be able to play it, especially at the NFL level, so there’s obviously some risk that we all take knowingly.”

In Polamalu’s view, there’s a point at which rules designed to make the game safer in reality just make the game softer.

“Football is a very physical sport, and a lot of what separates the good from the great [is] the ability to receive contact, to give contact, to overcome the mental block of injury when you have contact,” Polamalu said. “I understand that they want the sport to be safer but eventually you’re going to start to take away from the essence of this game and it’s not really going to be the football that we all love and have a passion for.”

And so Polamalu joins the list of players who respond to the rules designed to protect them by saying they don’t want to be protected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/polamalu-says-players-should-have-a-vote-in-rule-changes/

SteelersCanada
03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
These guys are grown men that don't need Goodell babysitting them. Good for Troy for speaking his mind on this.

fansince'76
03-29-2013, 01:02 PM
And so Polamalu joins the list of players who respond to the rules designed to protect them by saying they don’t want to be protected.

That's NOT what he's saying at all. Asshats like this and their mentality is exactly what is ruining the game. As I recall, it was also PFT that very loudly and publicly pointed out the "ignorance" of the Steelers contingent for being the only one that voted against the last CBA due to all the power it gave "Emperor" Goodell until players all over the leaque started bitching about it after the fact and then it was too late.

truesteelerfan
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Goodell will never ask the player's opinions - because to him, they are just something that makes his job harder. This player safety thing isn't anything about keeping players safe - its about money, keeping the league and owners from being sued.

Millers the sh!t
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
This will never happen for a few major reasons. One being, it just makes too much sense. Another being that it'll take power away from the NFL politicians, and grant it to the citizens of the league. Another would be lawsuits. People voting for less physicality will just have more ammo for their lawsuit 35 years down the line when they are bankrupt, half retarded and have to sell one of their 4 multi million dollar mansions etc. etc. I wish that people would boycott the NFL on major levels but it'll never happen. The younger generation never knew of the real heart and soul of the game so they don't have anything to complain about. They'll still love the sport anyways and will be part of the new high scoring high flying ***** league that it's becoming faster than anyone can stop. Well have teams playing in different countries and continents and the tough American hard hitting tradition and symbol that football once was will be way more political and pathetic than the Obama administration.

OX1947
03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Only the fans can change it. And from the looks of it, the general fan doesn't give a flying jack whether this league turns into a the Arena League. They want points for Fantasy Football and they want scoring. And that mockery of a commissioner is giving it to them.

In this country, when we let lawyers dictate what the essence of the product is, it will eventually be compromised and turned into something it isn't suppose to be.

Which is quite comical and ironic. Paul Tags is a lawyer, he dealt with the same crap for 17 years, yet he kept it at bay and continued to build the NFL to what it is today after replacing the legend that was Pete Rozelle.

pete74
03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
It's funny how alot of these players who are bashing the new rules to keep them safer will be the same ones who will file a lawsuit against the NFL down the road for not doing a better job protecting them against concussions. I'm not saying Troy is one but there will be alot. Actually I just heard Eric Dickinson on the NFLnnetwork saying he felt the new rules with RB's using there helmets was ridiculous yet he has a lawsuit against the NFL.

Hawaii 5-0
03-29-2013, 02:31 PM

these rule changes have very little to do with actual concern for player safety and a lot to do with the owners' concerns that they will be liable in future lawsuits if they don't look like they're concerned about player safety.

Twentyvalve
03-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Please provide proof, not conjecture and speculation that players who vote down new rules in the interest of safety will sue the league. That is a silly statement.

It's funny how alot of these players who are bashing the new rules to keep them safer will be the same ones who will file a lawsuit against the NFL down the road for not doing a better job protecting them against concussions. I'm not saying Troy is one but there will be alot. Actually I just heard Eric Dickinson on the NFLnnetwork saying he felt the new rules with RB's using there helmets was ridiculous yet he has a lawsuit against the NFL.

pete74
03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Please provide proof, not conjecture and speculation that players who vote down new rules in the interest of safety will sue the league. That is a silly statement.

Please provide proof they won't?
Maybe I wrote this wrong and you didn't understand. Eric Dickinson was on the radio saying how dumb this new rule is even though it's there to provide safety to the players. Well his name is on the class action against the NFL.
Everyone knows that football is dangerous. You can tell everyone how dangerous concussions are yet every player coming out of college will still opt to play in the NFL.

Twentyvalve
03-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Try that stance as a lawyer. I did not make the statement, you did. I don't need to prove anything. You argument sates they will. Prove it.

I don't deny football is dangerous. I never said it wasn't. It is very dangerous. And I would argue that some lawsuits could be valid claims. I just thought your statement was very assuming.

I am all for safety. I don't play in the NFL, so I can respect any rules decisions the league makes. It is my opinion the players should have a say, regardless of their perspective.

Please provide proof they won't?
Maybe I wrote this wrong and you didn't understand. Eric Dickinson was on the radio saying how dumb this new rule is even though it's there to provide safety to the players. Well his name is on the class action against the NFL.
Everyone knows that football is dangerous. You can tell everyone how dangerous concussions are yet every player coming out of college will still opt to play in the NFL.

zcoop
03-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Try that stance as a lawyer. I did not make the statement, you did. I don't need to prove anything. You argument sates they will. Prove it.

I don't deny football is dangerous. I never said it wasn't. It is very dangerous. And I would argue that some lawsuits could be valid claims. I just thought your statement was very assuming.

I am all for safety. I don't play in the NFL, so I can respect any rules decisions the league makes. It is my opinion the players should have a say, regardless of their perspective.

They should have a say but they have a weak union. If the league was serious about safety of the players, they would cut the number of games played from 16 to 14. But they won't do that because it would cut into their moolah.

So they need to spare everyone the bullshit about caring about the safety of players. Fake azz's

teegre
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Try that stance as a lawyer. I did not make the statement, you did. I don't need to prove anything. You argument sates they will. Prove it. .

pete74 might not be a lawyer... but, he DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

bornaSteelersfan
03-29-2013, 10:53 PM
They should have a say but they have a weak union. If the league was serious about safety of the players, they would cut the number of games played from 16 to 14. But they won't do that because it would cut into their moolah.

So they need to spare everyone the bullshit about caring about the safety of players. Fake azz's

The future is an 18 game season, expansion to 48 teams (8 in foreign countries) with 6 AFC and 6 NFC divisions and 4 teams in each. The playoffs will end with the Super Bowl in late March to compete with March Madness. It will give cold-weather cities a real opportunity to host it. This will then continue with 2 weeks of free agency culminating in the draft as normally scheduled.