Pages : [1] 2

sluggermatt15
04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Discuss the 2013 Pirates season here!

LET'S GO BUCS!!!

:tt02:

CrickRat23
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Not a very good outing for the Buccos today. The bats forgot to show up. I was cussing Pedro all afternoon ( before his last at bat ) . He was up twice early in the game with runner's in scoring position and did not do squat. Not good for your clean up batter, but he did come through in the 9th with a run scoring hit. A.J. Burnett pitched pretty good except for the one pitch to Rizzo who crushed the pitch 428 feet to center field. Ten strikeouts for A.J. so not all was bad. Lets get the bats going boys. I know it is early and it was the first game of the season so I am not too upset about the loss.

Lets Go Bucs.

sluggermatt15
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Not a very good outing for the Buccos today. The bats forgot to show up. I was cussing Pedro all afternoon ( before his last at bat ) . He was up twice early in the game with runner's in scoring position and did not do squat. Not good for your clean up batter, but he did come through in the 9th with a run scoring hit. A.J. Burnett pitched pretty good except for the one pitch to Rizzo who crushed the pitch 428 feet to center field. Ten strikeouts for A.J. so not all was bad. Lets get the bats going boys. I know it is early and it was the first game of the season so I am not too upset about the loss.

Lets Go Bucs.

Agree about the bats. 3 hits against ANY club won't cut it. This is my major concern this year. The offense HAS to hit the baseball. As you pointed out, the pitching kept the team in the game. I agree Burnett pitched moderately well, he gave the Pirates a chance.

The good is I guess at least the Buccos got on the board. The bullpen also pitched 3.1 scoreless relief. I was glad to see that. Good start for them.

CrickRat23
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Maybe the day off today will allow the Buccos to find their bats that seem to be missing. LOL. I know, I know, it is too early to start worrying.

sluggermatt15
04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe the day off today will allow the Buccos to find their bats that seem to be missing. LOL. I know, I know, it is too early to start worrying.

Yep. It's not even the first weekend yet. I believe the Pirates were close to 10 games under .500 early in the year before they started getting things together. I am not worried by any stretch. I see it as the team is getting their early season jitters out. Can't really judge them based on only 1 series because we don't know what teams are great and what ones aren't.

CrickRat23
04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Good win for the Bucs tonight. Another well pitched game from Wandy to Watson to Grille.

CrickRat23
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Bucs lose to Cubs 3 to 2. Well once again a great performance from the starter, with no run support. The Bucs finally got on the board in the ninth, had the tying run on third with no outs, and could not produce a run. Very dissapointing. Plus the bullpen gave up a few runs today. Put this series behind them and lets start over on the west coast.

NSMaster56
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Brutal end to the game yesterday.

Pitching has been great while the bats, as usual, don't seem to understand fundamentals.

Need to find their mojo quick as the sked doesn't get any easier.

CrickRat23
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Lets hope the Buccos can get the bats going tonight in LA. Cutch is going to need some help, he cant do it all by himself.

Pucks and Bucs tonight.

sluggermatt15
04-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Lets hope the Buccos can get the bats going tonight in LA. Cutch is going to need some help, he cant do it all by himself.

Pucks and Bucs tonight.

Grienke continued his usual dominance of the Pirates. Sad to see we couldn't muster anything in Game 1. Hope the bats come alive tonight, but I am not counting on it against Kershaw. We might get swept out of town if we're not careful...

CrickRat23
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
The bats have got to get going soon. There have been too many good pitching performances from the starters that are being wasted. Lets go Bucs, hit the damn ball and score some runs.

NSMaster56
04-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Nothing like some desert heat to get the bats warm.

sluggermatt15
04-09-2013, 07:58 AM
The bats have got to get going soon. There have been too many good pitching performances from the starters that are being wasted. Lets go Bucs, hit the damn ball and score some runs.

Yep. 8 runs in 6 games won't yield very many wins. I was relieved to see the Pirates put up 5 runs last night. That's what we need more of, boys! Keep them coming. :tt02:

CrickRat23
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
The Buccos take two out of three from Arizona. Its a start. They have a big series this weekend with the Reds.

Jonathan Sanchez has been getting shelled. I think they need to look for somebody else to put in the starting rotation.

sluggermatt15
04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
The Buccos take two out of three from Arizona. Its a start. They have a big series this weekend with the Reds.

Jonathan Sanchez has been getting shelled. I think they need to look for somebody else to put in the starting rotation.

Yeah too bad we gave up 10 runs. It was bound to happen. I think we'll have a great idea of what kind of team the Pirates are following this long homestand.

sluggermatt15
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Nice win by the Pirates last night! Was great to see them put runs up when they needed it. McCutchen had a great game with 3 RBIs and a HR. Good to see him start to produce and carry the offense by accounting for half of their runs. Now we just need some other bats to wake up - Alvarez (hitting .091), Walker (hitting .154) - and these guys should be able to spread the consistency.

Hats off to Jason Grilli on notching his 4th save in 4 opportunities. He's off to a fast start. Great to see that. Burnett put up 8 K's but gave up a big HR. Would like to see him keep his WHIP and ERA a little lower than 3.71. I think he can do it, he just needs to settle down a little. But his command seems decent.

LET'S GO BUCCOS!!!

NSMaster56
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Battlin' Buccos indeed!

jacobo
04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
holy shit, didn't know welker had that much power

CrickRat23
04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Big sweep of the Reds over the weekend. Lets hope they can keep it going against the Cardinals. Lets Go Bucs.

sluggermatt15
04-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Big sweep of the Reds over the weekend. Lets hope they can keep it going against the Cardinals. Lets Go Bucs.

Was a HECK of a comeback yesterday afternoon. I'm surprised they had the bats wake up again and put up 10 runs. Awesome!

Going into the game, I knew the Pirates were in trouble by starting Phil Irwin. Reds got to him early. Can't wait for Karstens, Liriano, and Wandy to come back from injury.

CrickRat23
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Hope the Bucs can turn it around tonight against the Cards.

I hope the pitching staff gets healthy soon. Whats the latest on Wandy.

sluggermatt15
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Hope the Bucs can turn it around tonight against the Cards.

I hope the pitching staff gets healthy soon. Whats the latest on Wandy.

I think he is still hurt. The team has said they will keep Phil Irwin with the club until Rodriguez comes back. Could span multiple starts. Just hope it doesn't last too long. I didn't like what Irwin did on Sunday.

CrickRat23
04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Wandy may start Friday against the Braves. That was the last I heard.

CrickRat23
04-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Another gem from A.J. tonight. And he finally gets some run support. Bucs are playing some good ball now.

NSMaster56
04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
A.J. is the perfect Pirate. He needs to retire one.

sluggermatt15
04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
A.J. is the perfect Pirate. He needs to retire one.

Looks like he's finding his groove. Pirates will need his strong efforts. Braves coming in starting tonight will keep our hands full. I just hope we don't get swept...

CrickRat23
04-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Homerun Derby in the Burgh tonight.

sluggermatt15
04-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Homerun Derby in the Burgh tonight.

No surprise considering Jeff Locke was on the mound. I believe this is the second start for Locke this year where he has failed to pitch 5 innings! Why is he still in the rotation again? Oh yeah, injuries... :mad:

CrickRat23
04-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Wandy turns in a gem coming off of his injury. If the bucs can get the rest of the staff healthy ( Karstens ) we may be OK. The bats are starting to come around also. Lets Go Bucs.

CrickRat23
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
The Buccos take 3 out of 4 from the Braves and finish the home stand with a record of 7 and 2. Lets hope they can keep up the good play on the road trip.

NSMaster56
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
This TEAM is looking good.

So long as they hold the line until the pitchers get healthy... who knows?

CrickRat23
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
The Battleing Bucs take 3 of 4 from the Phills. I like the way the Bucos are playing right now. Next up a series at the 1st place Cards. Win the series and the Bucs will be in 1st place early in the season. LETS GO BUCS.

sluggermatt15
04-26-2013, 06:27 PM
The Battleing Bucs take 3 of 4 from the Phills. I like the way the Bucos are playing right now. Next up a series at the 1st place Cards. Win the series and the Bucs will be in 1st place early in the season. LETS GO BUCS.

Awesome that we won 3 out of 4. Always nice to beat Philly, especially in their yard. Pirates have played the Phillies well, historically; but have struggled in Philadelphia since the Vet was torn down. It's onto St. Louis, where we have our work cut out for us.

NSMaster56
04-28-2013, 04:16 PM
FIRST.

sluggermatt15
04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
I'll take 2 of 3 in St. Louis ANYTIME of year! Go Buccos!!! Keep it rolling in Milwaukee. This will be a true test for them, IMO, because the Brewers have owned the Pirates. Pitt has struggled mightily at Miller Park. Here's to changing that starting this evening!

CrickRat23
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Love the first place Bucs. Keep it up in the beer garden ( Miller Park ). The starting pitching is still looking good with the exception of Sanchez, he sucks. The Bucs keep winning while Cutch is in a slump. Keep up the good work boys.

sluggermatt15
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Love the first place Bucs. Keep it up in the beer garden ( Miller Park ). The starting pitching is still looking good with the exception of Sanchez, he sucks. The Bucs keep winning while Cutch is in a slump. Keep up the good work boys.

I think Sanchez appealed or is in the process of appealing his suspension for throwing at Allen Craig. Not sure what the status is at the moment. But I agree he has pitched very poorly in his action. He's got to find a way to calm down and get outs. Maybe he can learn something from Jeff Locke. He's another Pirate who had a rough first couple outings. Difference is Locke has settled down and improved his game, found his command.

NSMaster56
05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Huge win today.

The Bucs gotta get em vs. the Brew Crew when they can.

CrickRat23
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
As the Bucs move into May they play many big homestands. They play 18 games at home and only 10 on the road. Lets win the homestands and go into June with some momentum.

sluggermatt15
05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
As the Bucs move into May they play many big homestands. They play 18 games at home and only 10 on the road. Lets win the homestands and go into June with some momentum.

This weekend's series against the Nationals will be a good test for the Pirates. Washington is a team that is similar to Atlanta, who the Pirates took 3 of 4 from not long ago. The Nats boast an above average pitching staff and a lineup full of good hitters. I am interested to see how the Pirates play. Which team shows up? Can our bats continue to score?

NSMaster56
05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
This weekend's series against the Nationals will be a good test for the Pirates.

Hate to discredit the Nats, who are a good team, but the Bucs beat themselves.

Bring on the M's.

sluggermatt15
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Hate to discredit the Nats, who are a good team, but the Bucs beat themselves.

Bring on the M's.

Pirates settled for a split today. With Burnett's solid effort and the fact they were able to score off King Felix, the Pirates should have won. This is a game we can chalk up in the "should have won" column. May be one of those we will be talking about come September if there is talking of a winning season.

NSMaster56
05-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Pirates settled for a split today. With Burnett's solid effort and the fact they were able to score off King Felix, the Pirates should have won. This is a game we can chalk up in the "should have won" column. May be one of those we will be talking about come September if there is talking of a winning season.

Yeah, there's been a ton of those so far this year.

The opening losses to the Cubs, one of the Cards games (can't remember which one), the near-comeback vs. the Brewers, the Nats series...

The good sign is that the team is playing competitive baseball every night.

The recent slew of injuries might start to take effect, but if the Bucs can just play .500 ball for a couple of weeks until reinforcements arrive they can keep a last-WC spot pace in sight.

sluggermatt15
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, there's been a ton of those so far this year.

The opening losses to the Cubs, one of the Cards games (can't remember which one), the near-comeback vs. the Brewers, the Nats series...

The good sign is that the team is playing competitive baseball every night.

The recent slew of injuries might start to take effect, but if the Bucs can just play .500 ball for a couple of weeks until reinforcements arrive they can keep a last-WC spot pace in sight.

Good examples. The hope is by the time summer rolls around, this team will be the one that emerges victorious in those types of games. Or at least win more of them. A short-term goal I would like to see is for them to come together as a team. I want the veterans to have rubbed off on the younger guys like Starling Marte, Jeff Locke, et al. so they have some experience in how to win close games. This will be pivotal down the strech in August and September. I agree with you when the injured players return it will give the team a much needed boost.

NSMaster56
05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
The hope is by the time summer rolls around, this team will be the one that emerges victorious in those types of games. Or at least win more of them.

Exactly. The return of injured players and/or call-up of Cole/Taillon should help, as well (*knock on wood*).

A short-term goal I would like to see is for them to come together as a team. I want the veterans to have rubbed off on the younger guys like Starling Marte, Jeff Locke, et al. so they have some experience in how to win close games.

Agreed. So far it's looking like Marte and Locke, in particular, are learning from AJ/Cutch, etc. Hopefully it sticks.

As most Bucco faithful know though, how this season goes down---be it getting over the 81 hump or even challenging for a playoff spot---depends on... El Toro.

*heavy sigh*

It's not looking like Pedro will ever put everything (or even most things) together, so it's up to the Bucs to put teams away when he's hot and steal a few when he's cold.

It's been an exciting season so far and it would be nice if it continued through Septemnber this year.

sluggermatt15
05-09-2013, 06:29 PM
NS, do you think management would call up those prospects in Cole and Tallion? Just curious. I haven't been following their seasons thus far in 2013.

I don't know what the deal with Alvarez is. He's hot and cold, but can not seem to sustain the great play. In order to be successful, IMO, the Pirates need 25-30 HRs out of him per year. Can he do that? I think so. Consistently? I think so. I also believe he is capable of 30-35 HRs per season.

The Pirates also need Neil Walker to be healthy. It's tough to see him hurt. I say this because he is a local kid and it's a great story when a local guy plays for the hometown team and is a big part of their success. Would love to see him on the field more often.

NSMaster56
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
NS, do you think management would call up those prospects in Cole and Tallion? Just curious. I haven't been following their seasons thus far in 2013.

If injuries hit, absolutely.

Even if not, once the arbitration deadline passes there's justification to bring him up.

Cole could be up in June and there's NO reason why he and/or Taillon should not get a Septemeber call-up (for some 2008 David Price-like magic...?).

I don't know what the deal with Alvarez is. He's hot and cold, but can not seem to sustain the great play. In order to be successful, IMO, the Pirates need 25-30 HRs out of him per year. Can he do that? I think so. Consistently? I think so. I also believe he is capable of 30-35 HRs per season.

It could be any number of things, but quite simply he's not (or has not developed into) a good baseball player.

He's Dave Kingman/Rob Deer; best case scenario he's Richie Sexson/Mark Reynolds.

All power, no skill.

The Pirates also need Neil Walker to be healthy. It's tough to see him hurt. I say this because he is a local kid and it's a great story when a local guy plays for the hometown team and is a big part of their success. Would love to see him on the field more often.

Agreed. Sky's a rock... when he plays.

Can't have Inge fill in for too long...

kan_t
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I am not a Pirates fan but really want them to do well. It sucks to see such a storied franchise being terrible for this long. Last year they showed sign of the turnaround. Hopefully this year is the year.

CrickRat23
05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Good win for the Bucs today. The bats came alive today scoring eleven runs on sixteen hits. Hope they can keep the offensive production up. Liriano looked solid in his first Pirate start.

CrickRat23
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Lets hope the Bucs can finally win a series against the Brew Crew tonight. They seem to struggle with them every season.

sluggermatt15
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Lets hope the Bucs can finally win a series against the Brew Crew tonight. They seem to struggle with them every season.

Three out of four! Woo! F MILWAUKEE!!! :tt02::tt02:

NSMaster56
05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Tonight proved that they don't have to be pretty to be wins!

CrickRat23
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM

The battling Buccos are finding ways to win. They keep battling game in and game out. Games like last night were how the Bucs used to lose games, now they are winning those type of games. That shot Pedro hit was an absolute bomb. LETS GO BUCS.

sluggermatt15
05-18-2013, 12:23 PM

Nope, you're right! Buccos stole one from the AAAstros! Way to go Pirates. Raise the Jolly Roger! :tt03:

NSMaster56
05-22-2013, 09:07 PM
98 win pace.

No way in hell is that sustainable, but... nice to be the case none the less.

CrickRat23
05-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Early start to the game today. I hope the Bucs can get the brooms out and sweep the Cubs today. LETS GO BUCS.

Vis
05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Will the Pirates sustain this level of play?

CrickRat23
05-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Will the Pirates sustain this level of play?

I hope they can. I am not going to get my hope's up though considering how they finished the last couple of year's.

sluggermatt15
05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Early start to the game today. I hope the Bucs can get the brooms out and sweep the Cubs today. LETS GO BUCS.

Sweep complete.

The way this series went really pleased me. The Pirates won 3 really close games. The offense did just enough and the pitching nailed it down. Awesome, because the Pirates are usually on the short end of these games. Being able to pull them out shows what kind of team we have thus far into 2013: one that knows how to win given the situation.

All of the above + the Cubs play well at PNC puts the cherry on top. Let's keep it rolling in Milwaukee this weekend. I will be impressed to see the Pirates take this series. The way they played against Chicago, there is NO REASON why they shouldn't.

NSMaster56
05-24-2013, 06:05 PM
All of the above + the Cubs play well at PNC puts the cherry on top. Let's keep it rolling in Milwaukee this weekend. I will be impressed to see the Pirates take this series. The way they played against Chicago, there is NO REASON why they shouldn't.

Well, one reason...

The Brewers have OWNED the Pirates the last... 10?... years.

sluggermatt15
05-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, one reason...

The Brewers have OWNED the Pirates the last... 10?... years.

Very true. Pirates should have pulled it out last night. They had an opportunity to tie the game in the 8th; runner on second with 2 outs. Lack of execution made them settle for a 2-1 defeat. However, good to see them bounce back this afternoon. The bats went off with multiple HRs. That is encouraging. I hope this will carry over into tomorrow's series finale. :tt03:

NSMaster56
05-30-2013, 09:40 PM
What a terrific four games vs. the Tigers.

Playoff like atmosphere.

sluggermatt15
05-31-2013, 08:16 AM
What a terrific four games vs. the Tigers.

Playoff like atmosphere.

Yeah, 3 out of 4... holy cow! This team is rising to the occasion. Great to see from all the youngsters on the club.

How about Jeff Locke? He's been outstanding. I questioned him following his first start this year. His effort yielded several runs and I don't believe he made it past the 4th or 5th inning. It appears Locke has learned a lot from that outing. IMO it's very encouraging for players to figure out what they did poorly and work with the coaching staff to improve and correct mistakes. My biggest concern is the consistency. Will he be able to sustain this strong momentum through September?

That aside, the Pirates enter this weekend with a HUGE series at PNC versus the Reds. The series winner will be in second place. LET'S GO BUCCOS!!! :tt03:

VaDave
06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
One of three from the Reds?? Tell you what, this is one competitive division. Oh welll. Off to get them Braves. Beat 'em Bucs!!

CrickRat23
06-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I will take a tie for the third best record in baseball at this point of the season. The only bad thing is that the team with the best record and a team we are tied with, are in our division.

sluggermatt15
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
One of three from the Reds?? Tell you what, this is one competitive division. Oh welll. Off to get them Braves. Beat 'em Bucs!!

Yeah, it was kind of a "letdown" series. The Reds seem to have been a thorn in the side of the Buccos over the years (aside from Milwaukee). Buccos will have to find a way to buck that.

On a positive note, Liriano looked good yet again. I hope that he is finding his groove. He reminds me of the pitcher he was when he broke into the majors with the Twins.

On a negative note, AJ Burnett struggled again last night in the 7-2 loss at Atlanta. IMO for the Pirates to contend down the road this year, he NEEDS to be successful, and play a role in anchoring the starting pitching. I'd like to see him cut down on the # of HRs he allows. Though his ERA is respectable and he is a strikeout pitcher - something the Pirates need more of.

Vis
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
We took three from you, Thanks.

NSMaster56
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Tough end to a tough stretch.

Bucs need to shake it off and CM.

sluggermatt15
06-06-2013, 11:05 AM
We took three from you, Thanks.

Didn't know you are a Braves fan. Congrats on the series sweep!

NSMaster56
06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Perfect welcome for Cole .45

sluggermatt15
06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Perfect welcome for Cole .45

Just what the doctor ordered. A great outing by Cole, coupled with a W against the Defending Champion Giants. Great opportunity to build confidence in this series. We need the games as we cannot seem to play well against the NL West, home or away.

VaDave
06-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Cole notches number 2!!

Big series starting tonight. Go Buccos!!!

NSMaster56
06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Big series starting tonight. Go Buccos!!!

Yup.

Can the banged-up Bucs manage to split with the rollin' Reds?

VaDave
06-19-2013, 08:06 AM
One game apiece so far. Looks like we're about even on the hit batters too.

I was looking at our second half schedule, and as much as I love how the Bucs have been playing of late, August and September are meat grinders. Our last three games of the season.... 3 at Cincy.....

sluggermatt15
06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Buccos had it last night... up just about the ENTIRE game, 1-0. Can't believe Grili gave up the game-tying HR to Jay Bruce. Then go figure they would go down in extra innings. As far as the blown save, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I just have the feeling this was one of those games the Pirates should have won... and it is the kind of game they lost last year. Hope they can salvage a series split this afternoon.

LET'S GO BUCS!!!

NSMaster56
06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Can't believe Grili gave up the game-tying HR to Jay Bruce... As far as the blown save, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Yeah, the loss was on the 14 LOB. The Bucs can't expect to win every game 1-0.

Today was sweeeeeeet redemption.

It would have been nice to take this series and sneak into second, but a split is just fine.

If the Bucs can survive the five-game West Coast trip (2-3 or 3-2) they'll have 12 of their last 15 before the break at home, where they're winning nearly 60% of the time.

sluggermatt15
06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Yeah, the loss was on the 14 LOB. The Bucs can't expect to win every game 1-0.

Today was sweeeeeeet redemption.

It would have been nice to take this series and sneak into second, but a split is just fine.

If the Bucs can survive the five-game West Coast trip (2-3 or 3-2) they'll have 12 of their last 15 before the break at home, where they're winning nearly 60% of the time.

Yeah awesome to see them earn a split in Cincy. That was HUGE. Would have been pretty bad to lose three-of-four. Now we are right where we were before the series started - haven't lost any ground on the Reds.

Agree with your take on the West Coast trip. Those are 5 difficult games. Even though both teams aren't at the top of the AL, it will still be tough for the Pirates given the time change and the fact they have historically not played well in AL parks. The good news is the latter has slightly changed in favor of them in the past season.

VaDave
06-22-2013, 09:06 PM
How about that Cole Kid?? Triple digits on the gun. Another solid 6 1/2 innings.

sluggermatt15
06-23-2013, 05:37 PM
How about that Cole Kid?? Triple digits on the gun. Another solid 6 1/2 innings.

He's definitely shown greatness in his first two ML starts. The Pirates are going to need his efforts with all the injuries. Do you think management keeps him with the club when some of the others return from the DL? i.e. Burnett, et al.

NSMaster56
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
He's definitely shown greatness in his first two ML starts. The Pirates are going to need his efforts with all the injuries. Do you think management keeps him with the club when some of the others return from the DL? i.e. Burnett, et al.

Rumors are starting to pop up that he might be sent back down to keep him from 'super 2' status.

On one hand it makes sense since the rotation is deep enough to allow for him to slowly transition to the bigs, but on the other he's been dynamite and such a draw for fans...

You'd hate to see the club alienate people in the midst of a great season.

Atlanta Dan
06-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Today's game was amazing

Pirates score 3 to tie it in the 9th, 4 to go up 10-6 in the 10th, then win 10-9 by getting Mike Trout out in the bottom of the 10th with runners on second and third

After the collapse last year it is difficult to get your hopes up but so far this 5-2 road trip is making it hard not to

NSMaster56
06-23-2013, 08:11 PM
then win... by getting Mike Trout out in the bottom of the 10th with runners on second and third

A funny comment from another message board:

The 'Shark Tank' is no place for [a] Trout!

Edman
06-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Today's game was amazing

Pirates score 3 to tie it in the 9th, 4 to go up 10-6 in the 10th, then win 10-9 by getting Mike Trout out in the bottom of the 10th with runners on second and third

After the collapse last year it is difficult to get your hopes up but so far this 5-2 road trip is making it hard not to

Last Year's Bucs didn't go 16 games over .500 until Late July. They're already 16 games over in June.

When you look at what this team has been doing, from 2011, to 2012, to Now. It's been a steady improvement. At this point in the season in 2011 and 2012:

2013: 46-30

2012: 41-35

2011: 39-37

I know the Bucs may collpase at some point, but it's fun to enjoy good baseball.

sluggermatt15
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Rumors are starting to pop up that he might be sent back down to keep him from 'super 2' status.

On one hand it makes sense since the rotation is deep enough to allow for him to slowly transition to the bigs, but on the other he's been dynamite and such a draw for fans...

You'd hate to see the club alienate people in the midst of a great season.

Very true on both points.

The Pirates are paying Wandy and Burnett big $ to start. So financially it makes sense to send him down. That wouldn't surprise me since management is always stringent with their dollars.

I'm enjoying the ride, seeing what this kid has to offer. When they sent him down that's fine. At least we will all know what he is capable of. If some of these highly paid starters don't pan out the rest of the year, Cole might be an option for 2014.

sluggermatt15
06-26-2013, 07:57 PM
5 game sweep in AL parks! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! GO BUCCOS!!!!!!!!!

Fire Haley
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I just ran into a Pirates game by accident on tee-vee - it was shocking to see them win.

I know the collapse will be over by September but are there any Pirates / Pens games on the same weekend schedules out yet for Sept?

Atlanta Dan
06-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Pirates tied for first place in the NL Central:jawdrop:

The Pirates have become the team that seemingly can do no wrong. Best pitchers get hurt; no big deal. Offense stinks; no big deal. All they do is keep on winning.

They are 18 games over .500 and with their win this afternoon over Seattle and with St. Louis' loss to Houston tonight they are tied for first place with the best record in MLB.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/36979-eighteen-games-over-500

VaDave
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
We got a lot of the 1960 Buccos channeling here.

I am in absolute shock over our suddenly very deep pitching staff. My only gripe is I wish we could get about 7 innings at least out of out starters. This is the group of closers we've had since Gossage and Forester were in town and we're going to need them down the stretch.

sluggermatt15
06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Pirates tied for first place in the NL Central:jawdrop:

The Pirates have become the team that seemingly can do no wrong. Best pitchers get hurt; no big deal. Offense stinks; no big deal. All they do is keep on winning.

They are 18 games over .500 and with their win this afternoon over Seattle and with St. Louis' loss to Houston tonight they are tied for first place with the best record in MLB.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/36979-eighteen-games-over-500

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! Pirates back to winning as they were the past 2 summers. Hope they can keep this up. Real fans such as myself have been let down tremendously over the past few years, so I hope they are not teasing us again.

LET'S GO BUCS!!!

NSMaster56
06-27-2013, 07:10 PM

(speechless)

sluggermatt15
06-27-2013, 08:19 PM
We got a lot of the 1960 Buccos channeling here.

I am in absolute shock over our suddenly very deep pitching staff. My only gripe is I wish we could get about 7 innings at least out of out starters. This is the group of closers we've had since Gossage and Forester were in town and we're going to need them down the stretch.

I understand where you are coming from about the pitching.

In my personal opinion, that is not even an issue. As long as the guys we have who are healthy can hold it down - and that's been the case - I think the Pirates will be fine. Eventually, the players will return from injury. The rotation should come back to how it was, and the guys who are left will either retain their roles, or provide some nice depth. The old rule of "you can never have too much pitching" applies.

sluggermatt15
06-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Gerrit Cole certainly received a ton of run support last night. It was great to see the offense pick him up after he pitched himself into an 0-3 hole. This is what great teams do - when they fall behind they find a way to score runs and get back into the game. Awesome to see Pittsburgh do that last night. Keep it strong, Buccos!

NSMaster56
06-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Day 2 of being #1: Bucs now all alone at the top.

Thoughts/feelings: ... ... ... ... ...

sluggermatt15
06-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Just hope the team keeps winning. I don't want them to bask in the glory of having a great record. The season is FAR from over. Keep playing and keep winning, the time to celebrate will come..... hopefully.

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
51-30 at the halfway point of the season following a 2-1 win in 14 innings today.

P-G wrote this before today's win

Only five [other] Pirates teams in the past 50 years have won 49 times in the first half of a season (81 games), and all five of them won division championships. Talkin' about teams in 1991 (50-31), 1990 (49-32), 1975 (50-31), 1972 (51-30) and 1971 (51-30).:thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/gene-collier/collier-surging-offense-also-enjoys-cole-experience-693599/

VaDave
06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: Pirate pitching

14 innings, ZERO earned runs..... one in the last 23 innings....

Great win today, left a lot on the bases, but you got to give the Brewers some props. They have some pitchers there too.

VaDave
06-30-2013, 08:05 PM

I am a pumped as the next guy, but before we pop the champagne corks, take a gander at the schedule for August and September.

NSMaster56
06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
I am a pumped as the next guy, but before we pop the champagne corks, take a gander at the schedule for August and September.

Doesn't look too tough.

Or at least compared to what the Bucs have already done.

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM

True that - but at the moment, even if the Bucs were passed by both the Cards and Reds, they have a 9 & 1/2 game lead over Washington for the second wild card spot

If the Pirates do not finish above .500 this year I question if they ever will - just nice to have baseball in Pittsburgh mean something going into July

VaDave
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Dan,

All I'm saying is the same thing Hurdle and most of the players are saying, "There is still a lot of ball left to play." As opposed to last year, our pitching is vastly improved, and we have a catcher that is major league capable. That said, a .242 team BA, is not getting the job done, and will sooner of later put significant stress on our pitching staff .

But for now, I'm enjoying the heck out this. Todays game was totally awesome. I was driving home from Erie PA this morning a talked to a couple of folks that were going to the game. The got their monies worth. Pirate fever is alive!

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Dan,

All I'm saying is the same thing Hurdle and most of the players are saying, "There is still a lot of ball left to play." As opposed to last year, our pitching is vastly improved, and we have a catcher that is major league capable. That said, a .242 team BA, is not getting the job done, and will sooner of later put significant stress on our pitching staff .

But for now, I'm enjoying the heck out this. Todays game was totally awesome. I was driving home from Erie PA this morning a talked to a couple of folks that were going to the game. The got their monies worth. Pirate fever is alive!

Agree completely :drink:

CrickRat23
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I was at the game yesterday with my dad and brother, ( nothing like taking in a game with your old man ). I am glad we waited out the two hour and twenty minute rain delay. The battling Bucs just seem to keep getting the job done. I was 12 years old the last time the Bucs had a winning record, needless to say these past couple years have been the first time I have been excited to watch baseball for many years ( I spent many years in my teens and twenties struggling watching my Buccos ). I love my Pirates. LETS GO BUCS !!!!!!

sluggermatt15
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
51-30 at the halfway point of the season following a 2-1 win in 14 innings today.

P-G wrote this before today's win

Only five [other] Pirates teams in the past 50 years have won 49 times in the first half of a season (81 games), and all five of them won division championships. Talkin' about teams in 1991 (50-31), 1990 (49-32), 1975 (50-31), 1972 (51-30) and 1971 (51-30).:thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/gene-collier/collier-surging-offense-also-enjoys-cole-experience-693599/

Love the success. I'd honestly just be more than satisfied with 82 wins this year. All I want is a winning season for the first time since I was 4 years old!!!! :tt02:

VaDave
07-03-2013, 08:35 AM
So far we been treated to some championship pitching this half. The bats, not so much. Mercer and Martin's bats in the lineup have helped a lot, but when your team BA is .250 or less, that spells trouble. We left a lot of unfinished business on the bases the last couple of games. Down the stretch that sort of thing is going to come back and bite us in the end.

ebsteelers
07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
anyone ever sat behind home plate at a game?

was thinking about getting tickets, but is the the net a pain in the ass?

sluggermatt15
07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
So far we been treated to some championship pitching this half. The bats, not so much. Mercer and Martin's bats in the lineup have helped a lot, but when your team BA is .250 or less, that spells trouble. We left a lot of unfinished business on the bases the last couple of games. Down the stretch that sort of thing is going to come back and bite us in the end.

Pedro Alvarez has been HUGE. He's been hitting HR after HR. I don't think your assessment is fair. Yeah, the bats let the pitchers down yesterday, I can agree with that. But without timely hitting, the Pirates would not have 52 wins thus far in 2013.

VaDave
07-06-2013, 06:27 AM
anyone ever sat behind home plate at a game?

was thinking about getting tickets, but is the the net a pain in the ass?

Yes, but not a Pirate game. I saw the Rockies at Coors, about 5 rows back. The net is not a pain, you get used to it. My problem was the ump and catcher were in the way so you really couldn't see the breaking balls. Also from that point you have a hard time seeing the defensive flow when a ball is in play.

My recommendation is if you are behind the plate, higher is better as long as you aren't under an overhang. Being as close as possible adds little to the experience.

VaDave
07-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Pedro Alvarez has been HUGE. He's been hitting HR after HR. I don't think your assessment is fair. Yeah, the bats let the pitchers down yesterday, I can agree with that. But without timely hitting, the Pirates would not have 52 wins thus far in 2013.

Slugger,

We lost two out of three in Philly. One you can blame on the Rookie, the other, lack of offense. And this kind of is a microcosm of what fear going down the stretch.

Actually, I am being more than fair. I agree Pedro is hitting a ton, probably more than I ever thought he would, so is Marte, and Martin has been clutch. The problem is the RBIs are not evenly distributed. When you have out of roughly 220 team RBIs, 170 of which driven in by 4 batters, and three of those are batting around .250, the law of averages stats to take over. The offensive consistency is not there and in time will eventually create a lot of stress on our pitchers.

Does that mean I think we are doomed to failure, not in the least. We have a punchers chance offensively in every game. But trust me, we are going to lose more games than will make any of us comfortable when that roundhouse right doesn't land.

BTW, speaking of BA, nice to see Cutch working his way towards the .300 mark. We are going to need his bat down the stretch. And I can't say enough about Pedro's year so far, not only how he's battled back from a .089 BA for the month of April to a respectable .242 with a ton of power and RBIs, but his defense has improved dramatically. If he continues this tear, he could be in the Chicken on the Hill with Pedro territory.

sluggermatt15
07-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Slugger,

We lost two out of three in Philly. One you can blame on the Rookie, the other, lack of offense. And this kind of is a microcosm of what fear going down the stretch.

Actually, I am being more than fair. I agree Pedro is hitting a ton, probably more than I ever thought he would, so is Marte, and Martin has been clutch. The problem is the RBIs are not evenly distributed. When you have out of roughly 220 team RBIs, 170 of which driven in by 4 batters, and three of those are batting around .250, the law of averages stats to take over. The offensive consistency is not there and in time will eventually create a lot of stress on our pitchers.

Does that mean I think we are doomed to failure, not in the least. We have a punchers chance offensively in every game. But trust me, we are going to lose more games than will make any of us comfortable when that roundhouse right doesn't land.

BTW, speaking of BA, nice to see Cutch working his way towards the .300 mark. We are going to need his bat down the stretch. And I can't say enough about Pedro's year so far, not only how he's battled back from a .089 BA for the month of April to a respectable .242 with a ton of power and RBIs, but his defense has improved dramatically. If he continues this tear, he could be in the Chicken on the Hill with Pedro territory.

Dave, I'm not saying you are wrong about the offense. I was merely pointing out that I do not believe the blame is on Alvarez. I think recently (before this week) he has played well - better than his .091 BA start - in the home run department. In a couple handfuls of games, he's saved the offense, and I believe in a couple he accounted for ALL of the runs. So if anything I think it was an inappropriate time to call him out, that's all.

However, I do agree the low team BA is a concern. The Pirates don't even have a .300 hitter - which is amazing considering their play AND a glaring flaw - which may lead to trouble in the coming months. They do need to pick up their consistency, have guys continue to reach base. Also have to cash in on the runners left on base (LOB). I believe in one of the Phillies games the Pirates left 16 men on base... which is alarming. You are correct we will lose if the timely hitting does not continue. And I think it will catch up to us if we do not correct it, at some point.

ebsteelers
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, but not a Pirate game. I saw the Rockies at Coors, about 5 rows back. The net is not a pain, you get used to it. My problem was the ump and catcher were in the way so you really couldn't see the breaking balls. Also from that point you have a hard time seeing the defensive flow when a ball is in play.

My recommendation is if you are behind the plate, higher is better as long as you aren't under an overhang. Being as close as possible adds little to the experience.

interesting good catch..

i think we ended up deciding on section 24, and 26 for the games were going to.. right on the 3rd base line and lower in the first 5 rows.

the idea of alll you can eat and behind home plate was cool, but was kind of pricey, plus i'd rather try some of the other food spots in the stadium

sluggermatt15
07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Even though the bats are still struggling somewhat, clutch hitting is keeping this team afloat. The last 2 games are examples. Friday night's walk-off and yesterday's comeback are examples. IMO the team will have to hit in order to reach 82 wins.

Atlanta Dan
07-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Even though the bats are still struggling somewhat, clutch hitting is keeping this team afloat. The last 2 games are examples. Friday night's walk-off and yesterday's comeback are examples. IMO the team will have to hit in order to reach 82 wins.

Agree that hitting needs to pick up to contend for the playoffs - but Bob Smizik of the P-G has these numbers posted this morning

* The Pirates, at 56-36, are playing at a 99-win pace. Since opening 1-5, they have played at a 104-win pace.

* If the Pirates go 26-44 the rest of the way, they’ll win 82 games.

* If they go 35-35 the rest of the way, they’ll finish with 91 wins.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/37103-about-that-collapse

For now I am just enjoying the ride

sluggermatt15
07-16-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm hoping the Buccos can sustain the solid play. They've fallen off a little bit since the start of this month with losing series to the Phillies, Cubs, and A's (3-6 in those 9 games), but rebounded by winning 2 of 3 against the Mets. IMO the Pirates should have swept NY. I was surprised to see Cole get touched up, but I don't solely blame him for the L. The bats did little - AGAIN - to support him. This is in contrast to the run support he received in his first 3 outings where he was getting nearly 8-9 runs per start.

As I have beat on before, the offense HAS to pick it up in the second half. If they do not I can guarantee the Pirates will lose more games than they win. It is very difficult in the MLB to win 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 games every night. Our pitching is good enough to prevail in those types of contests, but it's not good to hang our hats on only scoring 3 runs or fewer every night.

I believe the pitching will continue to hold the team together. Hope some of the others return from the DL in the 2nd half - James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez, Jeff Karstens - as it would be GREAT to have a healthy rotation and additional options as a precaution to possible other injuries.

After last year's collapse, I won't bet on any sort of winning season. I'm more in the one game at a time phase. Let's see what these guys can do on a daily basis. They'll certainly be tested right after the break. Big road trip to Cincy, Washington, and Miami. I have a feeling these 10 games may define how we play in the 2nd half. So it's REALLY imperative to set the tone and get some wins early to up the morale and confidence.

NSMaster56
07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Hope some of the others return from the DL in the 2nd half - James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez, Jeff Karstens - as it would be GREAT to have a healthy rotation and additional options as a precaution to possible other injuries.

Wandy maybe, but JMac will probably get the loooooong road to return to make sure he still isn't broken.

Who knows with Derp. He's so oft injured that it wouldn't be shocking if he was out for the year.

sluggermatt15
07-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Wandy maybe, but JMac will probably get the loooooong road to return to make sure he still isn't broken.

Who knows with Derp. He's so oft injured that it wouldn't be shocking if he was out for the year.

I concur about McDonald. If I recall correctly, he wasn't the same after he came back from injuries in the past. So I don't blame the team if they want to be extra careful with him. Just hope this won't be a downturn in what's left of him, when he does return.

NSMaster56
07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
I concur about McDonald. If I recall correctly, he wasn't the same after he came back from injuries in the past. So I don't blame the team if they want to be extra careful with him. Just hope this won't be a downturn in what's left of him, when he does return.

Yeah, he's been FUBAR since last AS Break.

He's on the 60-day DL right now, so he's not coming back until August.

Then you figure that he'll need some rehab starts (IF he's healthy), so he's in AA/AAA until mid-August or maybe even September if he gets re-injured.

And really, unless another SP gets hurt (*knock on wood*), the Bucs don't need him.

JMac is probably done for this year, or at least as a starter. Maybe he sees he hill as an RP... maybe.

ebsteelers
07-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah, he's been FUBAR since last AS Break.

He's on the 60-day DL right now, so he's not coming back until August.

Then you figure that he'll need some rehab starts (IF he's healthy), so he's in AA/AAA until mid-August or maybe even September if he gets re-injured.

And really, unless another SP gets hurt (*knock on wood*), the Bucs don't need him.

JMac is probably done for this year, or at least as a starter. Maybe he sees he hill as an RP... maybe.

if healthy, and if the pirates keep winning, and if they make the playoffs.. he wouldnt be a bad opinion to bring out of the pen.. would be nice to have solid depth in emergency situations in the bullpen.. and pitching wins in the post season.. however; its gonna be quiet the struggle if your offense does nothing and expects your pitching to keep giving up 1 or 2 runs a game.

would like to see a bat brought in, doesnt need to be a stanton or anyone like that, but someone who can get on base without given up the farm

ebsteelers
07-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm hoping the Buccos can sustain the solid play. They've fallen off a little bit since the start of this month with losing series to the Phillies, Cubs, and A's (3-6 in those 9 games), but rebounded by winning 2 of 3 against the Mets. IMO the Pirates should have swept NY. I was surprised to see Cole get touched up, but I don't solely blame him for the L. The bats did little - AGAIN - to support him. This is in contrast to the run support he received in his first 3 outings where he was getting nearly 8-9 runs per start.

As I have beat on before, the offense HAS to pick it up in the second half. If they do not I can guarantee the Pirates will lose more games than they win. It is very difficult in the MLB to win 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 games every night. Our pitching is good enough to prevail in those types of contests, but it's not good to hang our hats on only scoring 3 runs or fewer every night.

I believe the pitching will continue to hold the team together. Hope some of the others return from the DL in the 2nd half - James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez, Jeff Karstens - as it would be GREAT to have a healthy rotation and additional options as a precaution to possible other injuries.

After last year's collapse, I won't bet on any sort of winning season. I'm more in the one game at a time phase. Let's see what these guys can do on a daily basis. They'll certainly be tested right after the break. Big road trip to Cincy, Washington, and Miami. I have a feeling these 10 games may define how we play in the 2nd half. So it's REALLY imperative to set the tone and get some wins early to up the morale and confidence.

well Karstens is defintely done for the year, but Wandy will be back, and maybe Mcdonald for long relief as to not kill the pen completely.
the silver lining with the injuries to the pitchers is.
a) it was early enough in the year
b) its help find more guys to pitch, or for relief
c) it didnt cause a complete nose dive

would be nice to come out of the break and win atleast 2 of the series... miami is alot tougher then that team they were putting out at the begin of the season...

can wait for the cardinals series end of july.. I'll be there.. 5 game SWEEP!!

ebsteelers
07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Trade No. 1: Pittsburgh Pirates acquire pitcher Cliff Lee from the Philadelphia Phillies for shortstop Alen Hanson, pitcher Luis Heredia and second baseman Dilson Herrera

At 56-37, the Pirates are in a commanding position to at least grab one of the wild-card spots. While the offense has had issues this season, and the pitching staff is leading the NL in ERA, the opportunity to bring in a pitcher like Lee is tough to overlook. Lee's not cheap, with two years and $50 million remaining on his contract. But given that it's only two years, there's no star pitcher the Pirates could bring in with a contract that tempting at any time.

It's tough to bump someone from the rotation, but what Pirates pitcher would you rather have in a one-game wild-card play-in in a couple of months, or in crucial games in the NLCS or World Series? Besides, having a glut of quality starting pitchers is a problem that has plagued exactly zero teams in baseball history.

The biggest hurdles are the Phillies, and possibly Lee himself. The Phillies still see themselves as contenders by virtue of being around .500, despite having an offense and pitching staff both worse than NL average. That the Phillies are a half-game behind the Nationals is more a reflection on the Nationals having a disappointing year than the Phillies having a good one.

The Pirates will have to give the Phillies real value for Lee, even with his existing contract. They may get away without losing Jameson Taillon or Gregory Polanco, but they're going to have to give up somebody in that top tier. It takes value to get value.

The final hurdle is Lee, who has a no-trade clause to 20 teams that he gets to refresh every year. The full list hasn't been made public -- though certain teams have been leaked as being or not being on the list -- but whether the Pirates are on or off it, no-trade clauses get waived all the time. It just sometimes takes a little sweetening.

saw this proposed trade on espn

I dont see it happening, but at least like the article said you dont have to give up too much of the farm

NSMaster56
07-18-2013, 05:09 PM
if healthy, and if the pirates keep winning, and if they make the playoffs.. he wouldnt be a bad opinion to bring out of the pen.. would be nice to have solid depth in emergency situations in the bullpen.. and pitching wins in the post season...

Recently I thought of the idea of putting Cole in the 'pen ala the Rays and David Price back in 2008.

Obviously Chaz would need to be pitching well and Wandy would have to be back, but that idea is, for some reason, super intriguing to me.

With JMac, he may need to eventually move to the pen (Cole and Taillon can replace Chaz, Locke can be a solid #3, A.J., Wandy and Liriano round out the rest), but it just seems like he should be done this year.

He's fallen too far to rush him back and the stakes are too high to risk putting him out there.

NSMaster56
07-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Trade No. 1: Pittsburgh Pirates acquire pitcher Cliff Lee from the Philadelphia Phillies for shortstop Alen Hanson, pitcher Luis Heredia and second baseman Dilson Herrera

As far as 'big splashes' go, that seems suitable and not too steep a price.

It seems like an unlikely move for three reasons:
1. Pirates payroll
2. Phillies future might include Lee
3. Bucs need a bat > arm*

Still, of many of the proposed trades out there it's solid.

*Assuming Wandy returns this year the Bucs 1-through-5 will be fine, if not playoff caliber. A.J., Liriano, Wandy, Locke and Chaz is nothing to sneer at and they can skip Chaz and go to a four-man rotation should the need arise.

ebsteelers
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
As far as 'big splashes' go, that seems suitable and not too steep a price.

It seems like an unlikely move for three reasons:
1. Pirates payroll
2. Phillies future might include Lee
3. Bucs need a bat > arm*

Still, of many of the proposed trades out there it's solid.

*Assuming Wandy returns this year the Bucs 1-through-5 will be fine, if not playoff caliber. A.J., Liriano, Wandy, Locke and Chaz is nothing to sneer at and they can skip Chaz and go to a four-man rotation should the need arise.

Agreed with everything you said.
Also who know if Lee wants to come to Pittsburgh, would much rather a trade for a solid bat..

Any bats you'd want NS?

A 4 man rotation

with Morton and Cole in the bullpen along with the rest of the crew could be very very dangerous

CrickRat23
07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
One of the position players I have heard talks about the Bucs getting is Kendrys Morales of the Mariners. The only thing is, is he is a 1st baseman and we allready have Jones and Gabby. We shall see.

ebsteelers
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
One of the position players I have heard talks about the Bucs getting is Kendrys Morales of the Mariners. The only thing is, is he is a 1st baseman and we allready have Jones and Gabby. We shall see.

Can he play right field? For some reason I thought he did.. not sure who I am thinking of then. The only thing is already have 2 first basemen like you said plus no dh spot, like he has been doing in Seattle. Maybe Jones or Gabby would be part of the package to get him? I'd guess Gabby if that were the case.

Shortstop might be a spot to look at though not really sure who is out there though. But if Neil comes back can move Mercer back to ss and just bring in Barnes for defense..

Excited for the second half of the year!

Thins to watch for in the 2nd half

1) Trade at the deadline (bullpen depth, ss)
2) Can starters go longer into games and stay effective
3) Limit the Bullpens # of innings
4) can the hitting improve enough?

NSMaster56
07-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Plenty of rumors swirling about the Pirates pursuing:

Alex Rios, Alexei Ramirez and Kendrys Morales.

The ideal trade fit is Nate Schierholtz, RF CHC. He's cheap and a FA after this year and putting up the type of production the Bucs need.

Not sure NH would trade intra-division and/or buy him at his peak value.

sluggermatt15
07-20-2013, 01:53 PM
well Karstens is defintely done for the year, but Wandy will be back, and maybe Mcdonald for long relief as to not kill the pen completely.
the silver lining with the injuries to the pitchers is.
a) it was early enough in the year
b) its help find more guys to pitch, or for relief
c) it didnt cause a complete nose dive

would be nice to come out of the break and win atleast 2 of the series... miami is alot tougher then that team they were putting out at the begin of the season...

can wait for the cardinals series end of july.. I'll be there.. 5 game SWEEP!!

Hmm. Interesting about Karstens. I didn't know he is pretty much out for the season.

IMO I agree the Buccos couldn't hurt with additional long term relief with McDonald. I think when Wandy Rodriguez returns it is likely he will take back a starting role. He was holding his spot down nicely before the injury.

A question I have is, what is the deal with Gerritt Cole? Can the Pirates keep him up and/or how does that affect his contract? I heard some rumors about it would violate something...

sluggermatt15
07-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Agreed with everything you said.
Also who know if Lee wants to come to Pittsburgh, would much rather a trade for a solid bat..

Any bats you'd want NS?

A 4 man rotation

with Morton and Cole in the bullpen along with the rest of the crew could be very very dangerous

I would also prefer the Pirates go after a bat rather than an arm. Pitching is not a problem or need for this club. It's fundamental hitting and scoring runs. If we're going to give up a prospect or two, make it for a hitter who will come in and make a big impact.

Regarding Cliff Lee, I want to make two statements. First, I don't believe the Phillies think they are out of playoff contention. They're right around .500 and could make a push for a wild card spot by the end of the season. From that perspective I don't see them trying to "sell" players at the deadline. IMO last year they were sellers because they were much further out of the race at this time. Even if they were willing to trade him, the Pirates would have to give up a lot - and in my opinion, TOO much - for him. Second, $25 M for the next 2 years is too steep of an annual price for the Pirates to take on. Aren't they paying A.J. Burnett over $10 M this year? He was supposed to be the big free agent pitcher with a big salary (it's too bad he's been inconsistent and injured this year) to be the ace of the club. I don't think the Pirates need 2 of these type of players. To me the more important move with adding payroll should be locking the younger guys up over the next several years - Locke, Cole, Garrett Jones, Alvarez, etc. instead of going after a star veteran. The only major benefit to having Lee is I think he would make a HUGE impact in the playoffs. Having him on the mound for a big game and/or series clincher would be awesome.

ebsteelers
07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
yikes..

grilli leaving the game with what looked like some kind of forearm issue.. didnt look good at all.. hopefully its just cramping or something.. not good. hopefully its not a sign of an overworked bullpen starting to kick in

NSMaster56
07-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Grilli might be done. Like DONE done.

A damned shame.

*fingers crossed that he's NOT*

sluggermatt15
07-23-2013, 01:13 PM
yikes..

grilli leaving the game with what looked like some kind of forearm issue.. didnt look good at all.. hopefully its just cramping or something.. not good. hopefully its not a sign of an overworked bullpen starting to kick in

That is definitely not good news. I hope you are right and it is nothing major. On another note, I enjoy watching the Nationals lose. They had so much hype entering this year that they were going to succeed and win close to 100 games. What's happened? Nearly the opposite. The Nats have had a difficult time staying above .500. Some of their lucrative free agents like Dan Haren have stunk. The offense has now become stagnant. It's awesome, IMO. But the best part of it all was the Buccos prevailing last night! :tt02:

Let's do it again tonight, boys! LET'S GO BUCS!!!

ebsteelers
07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
nice to take the first 2 from the nats!!

great pitching match ups the next 2 games.

liriano vs. strasburg
stras will be tough to score on, but it seems like the nats have had trouble scoring for him also..

but need a much better outing from liriano,

burnett vs. gonzo

it would nice to see a pitcher going into the 8th to save the bullpen a bit, I think Cole probably could of came out for the 8th but I understand he was at 92 pitches.. But if he could of got quick outs he might of been able to been through 8 around 105..

Also, its nice to see the offense score more than 3 runs the past 2 nights.. need to keep clicking there!

ebsteelers
07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
WASHINGTON -- The Pirates were encouraged by early observations of closer Jason Grilli's right forearm, where an injury forced him from the game Monday and landed him on the disabled list today.
Grilli is back in Pittsburgh where team doctors will further evaluate what the Pirates have initially described as a right forearm strain.
"The initial read is encouraging," general manager Neal Huntington said. "But until we have the actual read, it doesn't make sense for us to get out in front and speculate on what it is and how long he's going to be down."
Huntington said the Pirates have incomplete information on the severity of Grilli's injury, though they expect to have a better idea in the next three days. He did not have an MRI before leaving for Pittsburgh.
A forearm strain is a vague diagnosis teams give when there is incomplete information. Sometimes it is as simple as a muscle strain. Others it can be as severe as a torn ligament, requiring Tommy John surgery.
"There's a lot in the forearm," Huntington said, "so it's kind of a generic diagnosis."
The Pirates knew Grilli would miss at least 10 days, which made it an easy decision to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
The Pirates recalled reliever Vic Black From Class AAA Indianapolis to take Grilli's spot on the roster. They also activated second baseman Neil Walker (oblique strain) from the disabled list and designated Brandon Inge for assignment.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-put-grilli-on-dl-initial-exam-encouraging-696575/#ixzz2Zvbxmpn1

ebsteelers
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
i just looked at the schedule thru the year and is this correct?

the pirates have lost a total of 3 games all year when they score 5 or more runs

the pirates have lost a total of 9 games all year when they score 4 or more runs. this includes the games listed above.

maybe Im thinking of these the wrong way, but arent those numbers extremely low?

I would think on average if a team scores 5 runs in a lose they would still have more than just 3 losses thus far this year. I know the pirates pitching is in the top 5 in the league between starters and bullpen so far but still come the next 2 months the magic number seems to be 5 if there is a little extra production from the offense that will hold real well come tight ball games, September, and hopefully deep into october

ebsteelers
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Chase Headley 3B, | San Diego Padres

The Padres have told me that they’re not trading Headley or signing him to an extension before July 31. Perhaps they think there will be more of a market at the winter meetings, or that the price will come down considerably after his subpar season.

I think the best trade value is almost always at the deadline because that is when teams get desperate, and with so many teams needing a third baseman, the Padres could be better off striking now.

Just think, the Angels and Dodgers are getting nothing at the hot corner; the Yankees would love a replacement for Alex Rodriguez; the Pirates could put Headley at third, move Pedro Alvarez to first and Garrett Jones to right field; the Reds could use the switch-hitting bat at third and move Todd Frazier to left.

Furthermore, it's not as if Headley is going to settle for a below-market deal with the Padres this winter. If the club isn't convinced Headley will re-sign, now could be the time to deal.

Jose Bautista, RF | Toronto Blue Jays

The Blue Jays haven't lived up to preseason expectations and are the only AL East team that isn't in playoff contention. If the Jays want to aggressively reload for 2014 and beyond, they could start with Bautista.

The 32-year-old is still one of the best power hitters in the league and is signed for $14 million per season through 2015 with a team option at the team price for 2016 -- a very reasonably amount for a player of his caliber. With his ability and cost certainty, he could fetch Toronto an impressive return.

The perfect fits in my opinion are the Rangers and Pirates, two teams with very strong farm systems that need a middle-of-the-order bat who can play an outfield corner. Bautista fits both molds, and could even DH for the Rangers down the road. (And as I noted elsewhere, Texas could be in the market for a Nelson Cruz replacement.)

ebsteelers
07-23-2013, 10:36 PM
saw the above on espn.

i know it would be one or the other so I would much prefer Joey Bats.
I have no idea what it would require but keep Pedro at 3rd.
let Jones and Gabby keep doing their thing because its worked and gives you match up advantages.

Your outfield would be Joey Bats, Andrew, and Starling.
I know I am getting a head of myself but that something I could really get excited for, and it would really give some punch to the lineup.

Maybe they would take Snider back (doubtful) along with a few prospects? I'd prefer to keep Jose Tabata over Snider as I am sure most would.. which everyone wasnt traded could still come off the bench,but what prospects it would cost would be interesting.

maybe Joey Bats for Snider, Hanson, Heredia, Kingham, (I know, probably getting excited over nothing) but would nice to see a big bat brought in. plus its not just a rental.. and that outfield would be sweet.

Vic Black could be another one who gets traded, but that might depend on Grilli situation cause will need arms in the bullpen

Wouldnt trade Taillson, Glasnow, or Polanco

that could be a dominate rotation in a few years

1) cole
2) taillson
3) glasnow
4) locke (I know he wont stay as good as he is now)

NSMaster56
07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
WASHINGTON -- The Pirates were encouraged by early observations of closer Jason Grilli's right forearm...

Bucs need to take their time with him; no need to rush him back.

ebsteelers
07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
everytime i see Mike Mckenry i cant help but wonder how him and Wes Welker are related?

sluggermatt15
07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Bucs need to take their time with him; no need to rush him back.

Absolutely. No reason to rush on Grilli's return. I haven't heard anything other than he is on the DL. Does anyone have an update?

I believe Melancon can hold down the fort while he is on the DL. My faith for him is there. Mazzaro is also a pitcher I think would be fine as the closer. But I know Hurdle is sticking with Melancon. So will Mazzaro set up Melancon?

Fire Haley
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
hey I've been getting a free week of MLB and been watching the Pirates

the only guy's name I know is McCutchen - does that make me an official bandwagon fan?

ebsteelers
07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
bad defense, pitching to harper =woof

NSMaster56
07-25-2013, 09:08 PM
the only guy's name I know is McCutchen - does that make me an official bandwagon fan?

Who cares?

Grab a beer and GO BUCS!

NSMaster56
07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Absolutely. No reason to rush on Grilli's return. I haven't heard anything other than he is on the DL. Does anyone have an update?

I believe Melancon can hold down the fort while he is on the DL. My faith for him is there. Mazzaro is also a pitcher I think would be fine as the closer. But I know Hurdle is sticking with Melancon. So will Mazzaro set up Melancon?

Heirarchy of closer (after Cheese):

1. Shark
2. Morris
3. J-Will (it's highly unorthodoxed for any team to have a LHP Closer, but J-Will's got the goods)
4. Maz
5. The Field

Maz is having a nice bounce-back year, but he was a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE pitcher in KC. Maybe Searage and co. have 'fixed' him like so many other relievers, but Maz should be low in the pecking order for closing... like emergencies only (like the other night).

ebsteelers
07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Heirarchy of closer (after Cheese):

1. Shark
2. Morris
3. J-Will (it's highly unorthodoxed for any team to have a LHP Closer, but J-Will's got the goods)
4. Maz
5. The Field

Maz is having a nice bounce-back year, but he was a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE pitcher in KC. Maybe Searage and co. have 'fixed' him like so many other relievers, but Maz should be low in the pecking order for closing... like emergencies only (like the other night).

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/saskwatch-lefty-closers/

thought it was an interesting read to go along with about not having a lefty closer

NSMaster56
07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/saskwatch-lefty-closers/

thought it was an interesting read to go along with about not having a lefty closer

Yeah, they're rare birds.

Billy Wagner was just insanely talented.

And really Chapman c/should be a SP.

sluggermatt15
07-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Yeah, get outta here man! :chuckle: Just kidding.

I don't care what Mazzaro has done in the past. He's having a great year with us in 2013. I believe he will be able to step in nicely and fill the role Hurdle has in store for him. Do you guys think the Pirates will try and trade for a reliever or maybe bring up a player from Triple-A?

Lady Steel
07-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Yes, because you didn't call him Cutch. Rookie! :hug:

I visited my parents today and watched the Buccos with my Dad. They stunk it up down in Florida today. :frown:

ebsteelers
07-29-2013, 10:13 PM
big win tonight!!!!

lets get 2 tomorrow!!

CrickRat23
07-30-2013, 01:44 PM
The Bucs came out hot in the 1st with 4 big runs, then went silent for a few innings. Then showed a two out rally in the 7th. I will take 9 runs any game. Lets hope the bats keep going today in the double header. LETS GO BUCS !!!!!!

ebsteelers
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
I originally had tickets out to the doubleheader today... and the ball was just hit into the seats I gave up... unreal..

go bucs go

NSMaster56
07-30-2013, 05:50 PM
I originally had tickets out to the doubleheader today... and the ball was just hit into the seats I gave up... unreal..

go bucs go

Why didn't you go?

NSMaster56
07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
There are wins and then there are wins.

Snag one more tonight, Battlin' Buccos!

CrickRat23
07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Two huge wins yesterday. Lets Go Bucs. The five game series goes to the Buccos, now lets hope for a sweep. Two more to go.

VaDave
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
One left to go. I wonder how many brooms there will be at the PNC tonight?

I thought the team did a great job against Wainwright last night. He's not slouch. A very patient opportuned workmanlike effort by the Pirates!

NSMaster56
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I thought the team did a great job against Wainwright last night. He's not slouch. A very patient opportuned workmanlike effort by the Pirates!

Absolutely!

Considering how woeful they looked vs. the Phish, it was a masterful job.

sluggermatt15
08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Don't you guys love this team? Taking the first 4 of a 5 game series is just.... leaving me speechless! I am truly proud of the Pirates. They are looking great right now!!!

VaDave
08-02-2013, 07:11 AM
No sweep, but one heck of a series!

sluggermatt15
08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Absolutely!

Considering how woeful they looked vs. the Phish, it was a masterful job.

Rockies in town this weekend. Let's hope the Buccos can rebound. I'd like to see them continue to press forward. Can't really afford to let up. Colorado was beaten pretty badly by Atlanta in their most recent series. So their morale is not exactly sky high.

LET'S GO BUCS!

CrickRat23
08-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I will take a series win like that against anybody, let alone the team we WERE looking up to. Four out of five against the Cards was a great accomplishment. Hope the Bucs can keep it up and dont have a let down. They still have the Cards nine more times this season with six of those games in St. Louis. LETS GO BUCS.

NSMaster56
08-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Rockies in town this weekend. Let's hope the Buccos can rebound.

Yeah, Rox bats are legit. Going to need the best from the pitching.

Also, their pitching isn't that bad this year (it's improved, at least).

Should be a good one (although, aren't they all at this point?).

sluggermatt15
08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, Rox bats are legit. Going to need the best from the pitching.

Also, their pitching isn't that bad this year (it's improved, at least).

Should be a good one (although, aren't they all at this point?).

Tough loss last night. Looks like the offense is back to being in a small rut. Seems like this team plays well for a significant stretch, then has a mental lapse which causes them to fall back into forgetting how to score runs. 2 runs isn't going to cut it. I would say Cole provided a decent outing last night. But it's too bad the bats couldn't support him. Tonight the Rockies start De La Rosa and the Pirates tend to struggle against left-handed starters. IMO tonight is a must win. I don't think a series loss is acceptable. I'd like to see us rebound and even the series tonight and possibly win it tomorrow.

LET'S GO BUCS!

NSMaster56
08-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Tough loss last night. Looks like the offense is back to being in a small rut. Seems like this team plays well for a significant stretch, then has a mental lapse which causes them to fall back into forgetting how to score runs.

One way to describe it, but yeah. It's nearly cyclical. The team struggles for up to six games at the plate, then gets hot for six-to-ten. Typical baseball ebb and flow.

Bucs need to keep a steady pace at the end of this marathon.

2 runs isn't going to cut it. I would say Cole provided a decent outing last night. But it's too bad the bats couldn't support him.

Yeah, that's been a theme all year---especially with A.J.

I'd like to see us rebound and even the series tonight and possibly win it tomorrow.

Pirates had been losing the first and winning the next two games of three-games series' for a while there. It would be nice to see that trend re-occur.

sluggermatt15
08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Good points, NSMaster. Nice pointing out the lack of offense tends to be a cycle. I agree with that. Can one attribute that to the learning/growing process? A team with a lot of young guys sometimes lacks the consistency. Especially the Pirate offense where there are not a ton of veteran players.

Not trying to jump the gun, or even suggest anything, but it makes me wonder. What team shows up in a one-game playoff? Do the bats freeze? Do they explode for a healthy output of runs? How about in a playoff series? All the answers to these questions intrigue me, which is one reason I believe it would be VERY exciting to see these guys in the playoffs. Which team shows up?

NSMaster56
08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Good points, NSMaster. Nice pointing out the lack of offense tends to be a cycle. I agree with that. Can one attribute that to the learning/growing process? A team with a lot of young guys sometimes lacks the consistency. Especially the Pirate offense where there are not a ton of veteran players.

I would be lying if I said I knew, or even had a viable theory.

It's really tough to say other than the clear lack of contact/discipline from every non-Cutch batter.

Chalk it up to 'typical baseball', maybe?

Not trying to jump the gun, or even suggest anything, but it makes me wonder. What team shows up in a one-game playoff? Do the bats freeze? Do they explode for a healthy output of runs? How about in a playoff series? All the answers to these questions intrigue me, which is one reason I believe it would be VERY exciting to see these guys in the playoffs. Which team shows up?

Yeah, the one-game thing is a worry for any team. Hate that format.

Of course, there is the chance the Bucs win the Cental... That would be nice. :surprise:

As for the playoff potential (not to jinx it...), why can't the Bucs average-at-best offense succeed? The two WS-winning Giants teams weren't offensive juggernauts. Certainly other teams had similar productive offenses, but either got hot or had enough timely hitting?

The key is just getting in. See what happens.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a more productive offense though... :chuckle:

sluggermatt15
08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
A division crown would be wonderful. But at this point I would take 82+ wins. Still not sold on a winning season yet, contrary to what the experts and media say. The Pirates were stuck on 67 wins last season then the losing began. They have 66 wins right now. Not trying to jinx it, but just keep on winning. I won't celebrate until the record reads 82-whatever.

sluggermatt15
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
NS, you made the call again. The Pirates won the series after losing the first game. Good call!

NSMaster56
08-04-2013, 06:07 PM
NS, you made the call again. The Pirates won the series after losing the first game. Good call!

All credit to A.J.

One can hardly be thankful enough that a pitcher like him is on this Bucs team.

sluggermatt15
08-04-2013, 06:34 PM
All credit to A.J.

One can hardly be thankful enough that a pitcher like him is on this Bucs team.

I wholeheartedly agree. What an outing by him. He needed that to get his confidence back. Did you see how emotional he was? Getting into all the outs with yelling and fist pumps? Just awesome.

Enjoy the off-day tomorrow, Buccos! Go get Miami starting Tuesday night! :tt02:

ebsteelers
08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. What an outing by him. He needed that to get his confidence back. Did you see how emotional he was? Getting into all the outs with yelling and fist pumps? Just awesome.

Enjoy the off-day tomorrow, Buccos! Go get Miami starting Tuesday night! :tt02:

The out by AJ was so big also cause it could help save the bullpen a bit also.

bullpen getting overworked is where the problems start.

16 series left in the season..

its a lousy way to think of it but as long as they dont get swept 82 wins awaits.

obviously it would be great to have win 82 by september 1st (cardinals at home)

especially to get it in front of the home crowd, but as it looks win 82 might just be coming on the road.

either way lets get it!!!

sluggermatt15
08-05-2013, 02:21 PM
The out by AJ was so big also cause it could help save the bullpen a bit also.

bullpen getting overworked is where the problems start.

16 series left in the season..

its a lousy way to think of it but as long as they dont get swept 82 wins awaits.

obviously it would be great to have win 82 by september 1st (cardinals at home)

especially to get it in front of the home crowd, but as it looks win 82 might just be coming on the road.

either way lets get it!!!

Good point about AJ and the bullpen. We need to rest the arms whenever possible. That could be a key factor down the stretch, and maybe into the postseason. Having a rested bullpen could make ALL the difference, IMO.

I don't really care where win #82 occurs. I just hope it happens! :chuckle: But I agree it would be nice to do in front of the home crowd. The fans have been waiting a long, long, long time for it. IMO it would be great for the team to share it with them right there and then.

ebsteelers
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Good point about AJ and the bullpen. We need to rest the arms whenever possible. That could be a key factor down the stretch, and maybe into the postseason. Having a rested bullpen could make ALL the difference, IMO.

I don't really care where win #82 occurs. I just hope it happens! :chuckle: But I agree it would be nice to do in front of the home crowd. The fans have been waiting a long, long, long time for it. IMO it would be great for the team to share it with them right there and then.

its good I noticed pitt is down to 5th most used from 1st a few weeks ago.. Now idk if thats cause pitt is using the bullpen less, or that other teams are using it more..

Then again ranking isnt as as important, as actual innings which is really the key.

But starters are near the bottom in innings pitched as well as complete games.

If the pirates are up like 5 + runs in 7th, 8th inning and the pitcher is in the 80-90 range clint should have a longer leash and be willing to stretch some of these cats out

NSMaster56
08-05-2013, 05:29 PM
its good I noticed pitt is down to 5th most used from 1st a few weeks ago.. Now idk if thats cause pitt is using the bullpen less, or that other teams are using it more...

Extremely encouraging stat.

Thanks for sharing!

sluggermatt15
08-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Extremely encouraging stat.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, would like to see the starter's innings go up. That would also help in the "quality starts" department. Certainly there has been improvement as of late. I think a factor that can be attributed to it is the offense. If the team scores runs, the starters have a cushion in which to work with. They can become more aggressive with their pitches, likely causing them to throw more strikes. This translates to hitters putting the ball in play, which increases the chance for outs. But, the opposite is hindering. If the offense does NOT score, the starters have to be a little more conservative. This may lead them to throwing more pitches, a greater probability for walks, and increased pitch counts at around the 5th and 6th innings.

Just my two cents.

ebsteelers
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah, would like to see the starter's innings go up. That would also help in the "quality starts" department. Certainly there has been improvement as of late. I think a factor that can be attributed to it is the offense. If the team scores runs, the starters have a cushion in which to work with. They can become more aggressive with their pitches, likely causing them to throw more strikes. This translates to hitters putting the ball in play, which increases the chance for outs. But, the opposite is hindering. If the offense does NOT score, the starters have to be a little more conservative. This may lead them to throwing more pitches, a greater probability for walks, and increased pitch counts at around the 5th and 6th innings.

Just my two cents.

to add to it.
I believe i mentioned it a couple weeks ago. but the pirates only have I believe 4 loses all year when they score 5 runs or more.. now asking them to get to 5 everynight is a little extreme but just shows if we can get some offense and continued quality pitching, it'll be a fun few more months of baseball

sluggermatt15
08-07-2013, 12:16 PM
to add to it.
I believe i mentioned it a couple weeks ago. but the pirates only have I believe 4 loses all year when they score 5 runs or more.. now asking them to get to 5 everynight is a little extreme but just shows if we can get some offense and continued quality pitching, it'll be a fun few more months of baseball

Great point. +1

Awesome walk-off win last night! Josh Harrison coming through in the clutch. We haven't seen too much of him until recently. Nice to see him making the most of the playing time. I hope he can keep it up.

ebsteelers
08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Great point. +1

Awesome walk-off win last night! Josh Harrison coming through in the clutch. We haven't seen too much of him until recently. Nice to see him making the most of the playing time. I hope he can keep it up.

agreed seems like having him triple a earlier really helped.

i hate calling professionals scrubs, but he defintely had a scrubbie feel to him in 2012

Atlanta Dan
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Pirates down 4-0 in the 5th inning this afternoon then beat the Marlins 5-4 in 10 innings.

With the victory, the Pirates (70-44) have now won five consecutive games, their second longest winning streak of the season. The Marlins (43-70) have lost five games in a row.

It is the quickest the Pirates have reached 70 wins in a season since 1972, when they reached the 70-win plateau in 112 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/cardiac-kids-pirates-sweep-marlins-with-third-straight-comeback-win-698629/

Damn - we are heading into mid-August and the magic continues:thumbsup:

Another big three game series in St. Louis next week

NFL is tops but the day to day involvement is a late summer pennant race ain't too shabby

Vis
08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
You still have a race. Atl up 15.5 games

Atlanta Dan
08-08-2013, 08:27 PM
You still have a race. Atl up 15.5 games

Trust me on this - Atlanta fans expect the Braves to gag in October

tony hipchest
08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Damn - we are heading into mid-August and the magic continues:thumbsup:

Another big three game series in St. Louis next week

NFL is tops but the day to day involvement is a late summer pennant race ain't too shabby

magical sums up this latest homestand perfectly!

here in the southwest, a pirates game on television has been more rare than the penguins for the last 20 years. that is of course unless they were playing the cubs (WGN) or braves (TNT).

what a year to change my name and address to get the free 1 year trial subscription of MLB Ticket and NFL Ticket (and 3 free months of Playboy channel) and re-up with DirecTV!

i havent been able to follow the pirates like this since the last summer i spent in pgh in '86, and honestly after 95 or so, havent really wanted too.

but now...? im stocked w/ peanuts and cracker jacks. :popcorn:

stb_steeler
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
magical sums up this latest homestand perfectly!

here in the southwest, a pirates game on television has been more rare than the penguins for the last 20 years. that is of course unless they were playing the cubs (WGN) or braves (TNT).

what a year to change my name and address to get the free 1 year trial subscription of MLB Ticket and NFL Ticket (and 3 free months of Playboy channel) and re-up with DirecTV!

i havent been able to follow the pirates like this since the last summer i spent in pgh in '86, and honestly after 95 or so, havent really wanted too.

but now...? im stocked w/ peanuts and cracker jacks. :popcorn:

Got mine :wink02:

sluggermatt15
08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
agreed seems like having him triple a earlier really helped.

i hate calling professionals scrubs, but he defintely had a scrubbie feel to him in 2012

Yeah, he did. Maybe more playing time will bring the best out of him.

On a side note, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP COMPLETE!!!! ... of the Miami Marlins. :tt02:

ebsteelers
08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, he did. Maybe more playing time will bring the best out of him.

On a side note, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP COMPLETE!!!! ... of the Miami Marlins. :tt02:

How SWEEEEEEEEEPP IT IS!!!!

sluggermatt15
08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
How SWEEEEEEEEEPP IT IS!!!!

Pretty SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPINNNNNNNNNNNNNN' awesome! Hope the Bucs can continue to roll on this road trip. These games with the Rockies are big. Nice way to prepare for the backend against St. Louis. Let's see what they got! :tt:

ebsteelers
08-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Pretty SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPINNNNNNNNNNNNNN' awesome! Hope the Bucs can continue to roll on this road trip. These games with the Rockies are big. Nice way to prepare for the backend against St. Louis. Let's see what they got! :tt:

it would be great to keep this lead on st. louis at a minimum of 3 but best case 5 games were even if the buccos did get swept they still have a lead on the cards

sluggermatt15
08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
it would be great to keep this lead on st. louis at a minimum of 3 but best case 5 games were even if the buccos did get swept they still have a lead on the cards

Yep, I agree. It's at 4 right now, I believe. Cards have the Cubs at home this weekend. Chicago can be pesky so I don't concede any ground. No matter what, the Pirates have to take care of business on the road.

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Yep, I agree. It's at 4 right now, I believe. Cards have the Cubs at home this weekend. Chicago can be pesky so I don't concede any ground. No matter what, the Pirates have to take care of business on the road.

Pirates getting whacked tonight in Colorado but Cubs beat the Cardinals

Pittsburgh’s odds of making the postseason are now at 99.5 percent, with a 64.0 percent chance of winning the division.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/08/09/national-league-playoff-race-diamondbacks-nationals/?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

Vis
08-10-2013, 05:00 AM
14 in a row. Looks like a Pirates/Braves NLCS

sluggermatt15
08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Pirates getting whacked tonight in Colorado but Cubs beat the Cardinals

Pittsburgh’s odds of making the postseason are now at 99.5 percent, with a 64.0 percent chance of winning the division.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/08/09/national-league-playoff-race-diamondbacks-nationals/?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

Not a good showing by the Bucs last night. Leaving 20 runners on base is unacceptable, and definitely a sign that a team isn't going to be successful in a ballgame. :banging: Liriano didn't have his best stuff. I was surprised to see him give up 10 earned runs. Wow. Hoping they can bounce back tonight!

NSMaster, it was back to the "we can't score" cycle again last night! :rofl:

Atlanta Dan
08-10-2013, 09:01 AM
14 in a row. Looks like a Pirates/Braves NLCS

Atlanta now focusing on the need for home field advantage in the playoffs

They know that beating out Pittsburgh for home-field advantage could be significant for a team with the majors’ best home record (the Braves have won 30 of their past 40 home games entering the weekend series).

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-braves/2013/aug/09/near-100-win-pace-braves-still-have-doubters/

Not only does the best record get home field advantage, it presumably avoids playing a red hot Dodgers team in the first round of the playoffs

sluggermatt15
08-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Atlanta now focusing on the need for home field advantage in the playoffs

They know that beating out Pittsburgh for home-field advantage could be significant for a team with the majors’ best home record (the Braves have won 30 of their past 40 home games entering the weekend series).

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-braves/2013/aug/09/near-100-win-pace-braves-still-have-doubters/

Not only does the best record get home field advantage, it presumably avoids playing a red hot Dodgers team in the first round of the playoffs

That should be a great race. I believe the Braves own the tiebreaker, no? I remember they swept the Buccos in the most recent meeting. So they seem to have their number this year. I surely wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs.

Vis
08-10-2013, 04:45 PM
as long as the cards dont upset the applecart

NSMaster56
08-10-2013, 09:01 PM
NSMaster, it was back to the "we can't score" cycle again last night! :rofl:

Question is always, 'how long?'

Hopefully the answer is 'just until the end of this series'...

sluggermatt15
08-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Question is always, 'how long?'

Hopefully the answer is 'just until the end of this series'...

The big games start tonight. Pirates better be ready or they will get beat. It was a shame to see them have 2nd and 3rd with one out in the 9th on Sunday, and fail to score. :banging: Seems like that was their story last year. I think this year's club knows that can't continue to do that.

casteeler
08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Great to see the Buccos call Lambo up, he has earned it !

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Brutal loss last night - Cardinals tie it in the 9th and win it in 14 after Marte drops an easy catch in the bottom of the 9th:banging:

tony hipchest
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
That PNC Park magic doesnt travel well. :dang:

NSMaster56
08-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Bucs are due to break out of their usual 'slump'.

Last night looked like it until the #MarteSharte.

The hope is obviously that the loss lights a fire under the team so they get back to one of their usual 10-game tears.

sluggermatt15
08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Brutal loss last night - Cardinals tie it in the 9th and win it in 14 after Marte drops an easy catch in the bottom of the 9th:banging:

Yep, all that AFTER a 3-0 lead..... :mad: It was just one of those games where that "they're going to blow it" feeling was in the air, at least for me.

sluggermatt15
08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank goodness the Pirates bounced back last night with a W. They needed that. Couldn't have the losing streak continue.

I watched some of the game, and Liriano looked like he normally does, pretty dominant. Great to see him go the distance. And it was nice for the bats to come alive and provide him with run support. Alvarez and Jones did nice work in taking advantage of Miller's mistakes by slamming home runs. Starling Marte also had himself a solid game at the plate.

With the division lead back to 3 games, this afternoon's rubber match is big. Would be HUGE for Pittsburgh to take the series. A 3 game series with the red hot Diamondbacks is up next.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Diamondbacks series important for wildcard

Bucs up 9 games over Arizona for wildcard - a Diamondbacks sweep this weekend suddenly puts a wildcard slot in play

tony hipchest
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Damn... and to think Phoenix is only a 6.5 hour drive away. Sure would be nice to go take in a game! (unfortunately that is as close as I am to any MLB city- Denver and Arlington are just too far away).

If I lived in pgh I would go to atleast 40 games a year, even during the 20 years they were losing and the park was empty.

Good thing is El Paso finally gets a MLB affiliate team next year (Padres), and I will only have to drive an hour and a half to see some AAA ball. :thumbsup:

Justin Otstott
08-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Damn... and to think Phoenix is only a 6.5 hour drive away. Sure would be nice to go take in a game! (unfortunately that is as close as I am to any MLB city- Denver and Arlington are just too far away).

If I lived in pgh I would go to atleast 40 games a year, even during the 20 years they were losing and the park was empty.

Good thing is El Paso finally gets a MLB affiliate team next year (Padres), and I will only have to drive an hour and a half to see some AAA ball. :thumbsup:

Hey, ticket prices aren't that bad either!

Vis
08-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Just beat LA for us. Thanks.

sluggermatt15
08-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Diamondbacks series important for wildcard

Bucs up 9 games over Arizona for wildcard - a Diamondbacks sweep this weekend suddenly puts a wildcard slot in play

You're talking about a wild card spot? The NL Central division lead is still in Pittsburgh's hands.

Atlanta Dan
08-18-2013, 05:24 PM
You're talking about a wild card spot? The NL Central division lead is still in Pittsburgh's hands.

For now - another extra inning loss, this time to Arizona - the bats need to produce - 2 runs in 16 innings will not get it done

It's a .500 team for the past 6 weeks

sluggermatt15
08-19-2013, 08:19 AM
For now - another extra inning loss, this time to Arizona - the bats need to produce - 2 runs in 16 innings will not get it done

It's a .500 team for the past 6 weeks

You are right in both respects. 2 runs won't get it done. Especially against a team who is on a nice streak, fighting for a wild card spot. So it's back out west for the Buccos. No easy task against SF and SD.

ebsteelers
08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
nice night by lirano yesterday.. gotta keep it up lets get to 80 by months end

sluggermatt15
08-21-2013, 02:01 PM
nice night by lirano yesterday.. gotta keep it up lets get to 80 by months end

HUGE the Pirates took the first 2 in San Diego. That's big for their confidence after losing the series at home to Arizona. Burnett turned in a great outing last night. For as inconsistent as he's been, his ERA is still 3.09, which is not bad, IMO. Also I was impressed to see the bats come alive with 8 more runs. That might have to do with the large dimensions of Petco Park. Pirates hitting the ball where the Padres' fielders aren't! Keep it going, guys!

ebsteelers
08-23-2013, 01:06 PM
getting close to it

sluggermatt15
08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
getting close to it

I have a feeling the Pirates need at least 3 of 4 against the Giants. With the way the Cards and Reds are playing, Pittsburgh cannot afford to struggle right now. Cincy is only 2.5 games back in the division. That means we're 2.5 games from being the #2 wild card. Wow.

casteeler
08-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I went to the game last night and really enjoyed the experiance but not the outcome.The Pirate players are very favorable towards the handful of Bucco fans,I think they realize how much the fans are backing them and that's pretty awesome.

sluggermatt15
08-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I went to the game last night and really enjoyed the experiance but not the outcome.The Pirate players are very favorable towards the handful of Bucco fans,I think they realize how much the fans are backing them and that's pretty awesome.

Too bad the Pirates missed out on a couple of key wins. They really could have used them because now they are tied with St. Louis for the division lead... again. :banging: Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time at the game, minus the score. I really enjoy attending MLB games. IMO they make for a relaxing atmosphere. If you ever (or have ever) have the opportunity to take in a game at PNC Park, I highly recommend it.

Much needed off-day today for Pittsburgh. Big homestand with Milwaukee and St. Louis this week. I will say this now and probably say it again.. these games with the Cardinals are HUGE.

casteeler
08-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Too bad the Pirates missed out on a couple of key wins. They really could have used them because now they are tied with St. Louis for the division lead... again. :banging: Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time at the game, minus the score. I really enjoy attending MLB games. IMO they make for a relaxing atmosphere. If you ever (or have ever) have the opportunity to take in a game at PNC Park, I highly recommend it.

Much needed off-day today for Pittsburgh. Big homestand with Milwaukee and St. Louis this week. I will say this now and probably say it again.. these games with the Cardinals are HUGE.

I have been to PNC and it was a much cozier feeling ballpark than AT&T but as for scenery PNC holds a slight edge over AT&T. These 2 series will be massive both in the standings and in getting the Buccos hitting again,they go cold at the plate as a team and it happens at a bad time. I have a feeling Lambo will get a feel for the big league and come through when Jones and Gaby cannot

sluggermatt15
08-28-2013, 07:21 PM
I have been to PNC and it was a much cozier feeling ballpark than AT&T but as for scenery PNC holds a slight edge over AT&T. These 2 series will be massive both in the standings and in getting the Buccos hitting again,they go cold at the plate as a team and it happens at a bad time. I have a feeling Lambo will get a feel for the big league and come through when Jones and Gaby cannot

Hope you're right. It didn't look good last night. Locke failed to hit 5 innings again... That is not good considering the Pirates need him to be strong at the top of the rotation.

casteeler
08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Move over Pirate parrot there's a new Byrd in town!:tt03:

sluggermatt15
08-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Move over Pirate parrot there's a new Byrd in town!:tt03:

:tt02: Way for the club to respond after losing on Tuesday night. Morton looked pretty good. Bats came alive again and the bullpen held Milwaukee scoreless.

Let's go out and win the series today!!!

Vis
08-30-2013, 06:32 PM
2 outs bases loaded. Are you watching this?

Confounding Factor
08-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Back to back HRs!

sluggermatt15
08-31-2013, 08:28 AM
2 outs bases loaded. Are you watching this?

I find it very exciting the Pirates are 4 wins away from a winning season. Unbelievable. I did watch most of the game last night as it was on MLB Network here. Liriano looked like he was possessed. Great performance by him. Melancon got into a little trouble in the 9th, but it was great to see him get out of it and seal the deal. Whew! :tt02:

NSMaster56
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM
What are yous' guys planning when the Bucs crack 81?

I've got a bottle of 151 ready for the moment... thinking about buying a victory cigar...

casteeler
08-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Time to take back 1st place!

casteeler
08-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Buccos picked up Morneau! Love this move before the stretch run:thumbsup:

NSMaster56
08-31-2013, 06:53 PM
^Yeah, NH is really going for it.

Love it.

sluggermatt15
08-31-2013, 06:59 PM
What are yous' guys planning when the Bucs crack 81?

I've got a bottle of 151 ready for the moment... thinking about buying a victory cigar...

For me, it's #82, not 81. 81 guarantees a "non-losing" season. 82 is a full winning season, at the very least.

As for celebrating, either going out and drinking too much or binging on too much food or favorite dessert as a celebratory feast. It's going to be a hard decision. :chuckle:

jacobo
08-31-2013, 11:48 PM
love how right about huntington i've been.

sluggermatt15
09-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Pirates win the series with the Cardinals. Woot, woot! Going for the sweep this afternoon. :) Great that we're back in first place, where we belong. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUCCOS!!!

jacobo
09-01-2013, 08:45 AM
cool, ill watch it today. havent watched a game in a week. is morneau starting?

NSMaster56
09-01-2013, 11:05 AM
cool, ill watch it today. havent watched a game in a week. is morneau starting?

Based on his [and Gaby's] splits, you'd have to figure that vs. RHP Morneau will play and vs. LHP it will be Gaby roaming 1B.

Jones will probably be relegated to PH and 'Sunday 1B/RF' duty.

sluggermatt15
09-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Based on his [and Gaby's] splits, you'd have to figure that vs. RHP Morneau will play and vs. LHP it will be Gaby roaming 1B.

Jones will probably be relegated to PH and 'Sunday 1B/RF' duty.

Heard on the local Pittsburgh radio that Morneau is in the starting lineup this afternoon. He should be at 1st base. Garrett Jones will start in right field. :tt02:

Here are the lineups.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/st-louis-cardinals-pittsburgh-pirates-330901123/

casteeler
09-01-2013, 04:09 PM
That game was ugly. Pedro is proving to be a good 7 spot hitter not cleanup

sluggermatt15
09-02-2013, 07:53 AM
That game was ugly. Pedro is proving to be a good 7 spot hitter not cleanup

Certainly. I don't know what Hurdle was thinking by starting an inexperienced pitcher in Kris Johnson. The Cardinals are a great team fighting for the division. I am not surprised they got to Johnson early and hit him hard. From the Pirates' perspective, a sweep would have been GREAT and put us ahead by 2 games. Instead, we lose by 5 runs, and are back tied for the division lead. To me, it's a missed opportunity. Especially considering we're in September. Poor managing decision, IMO.

Alvarez has been pretty awesome, I agree. I don't check the stats very often, but I was surprised to see he leads the NL in home runs and is up there in RBIs. I think we're starting to see what he is capable of, the potential and promise we wanted out of being a Top 10 draft pick.

NSMaster56
09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Certainly. I don't know what Hurdle was thinking by starting an inexperienced pitcher in Kris Johnson.

The popular logic was that Johnson is a lefty and the Cards struggle vs. lefties.

Plus, Johnson did okay his last outing (or so I heard).

It's hard to blame him for 'taking a chance', especially with the Bucs having wrapped up the series already.

While one could argue that every game counts, it's not as if there were a slew of better options for the Pirates to choose from. Gomez hasn't started in a while, Locke has imploded, Cumpton just pitched two days ago (and has shown little at the ML level this year)...

Ugly loss, but they happen. Better that they do with a scrub on the mound, vs. a good team and with the [new and improved!] 'Sunday Lineup' than with A.J. or Papa Fransisco on the mounds vs. a lightweight.

CrickRat23
09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
I was also wondering why Hurdle went with the inexperienced pitcher in Kris Johnson. Why not give Jenmar Gomez another spot start since he started a few games early in the season and pitched fairly decent. But hey, the Buccos won the series and are still tied for the division lead. On to the Brew Crew. LETS GO BUCS !!!!!

Confounding Factor
09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QtgLQr5.png

Lady Steel
09-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Raise the Jolly Roger, boys!

ebsteelers
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
its getting close boys and ladies... its getting close.

Confounding Factor
09-03-2013, 10:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Yfqwl1d.gif

RAISE IT

Lady Steel
09-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Cutch hits his 100th career home run in the first! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOFov4HGJg4

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNbTqmMKJ2TC821gJqh-Org4lnMZ4Ns1OPW8zop877vReDd48i

Lady Steel
09-04-2013, 07:10 AM
[Yesterday 11:33 PM] ricardisimo : I sthat code for something?
[Yesterday 10:56 PM] Lady Steel : Raise the Jolly Roger!!!

:doh:

ebsteelers
09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
ONE MORE!!!!!! PARTY AT LADY STEELS HOUSE WHEN IT HAPPENS!!!

sluggermatt15
09-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Travis Snider will forever live in Pittsburgh Pirates lore... game-winning home run!! WOOOOOOT!!!

Lady Steel
09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
It wasn't meant to be tonight. But we can wait another 48 hours, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6TkkEKPVloA

ebsteelers
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM
It wasn't meant to be tonight. But we can wait another 48 hours, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6TkkEKPVloA

been waiting 20 years.. whats another 48 hours

Atlanta Dan
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
The 20 worst moments from the Pirates’ 20 consecutive losing seasons

In recognition of the Pirates finally snapping that streak, here, in chronological order, is a look back at the 20 worst moments in the team’s 20 years of losing, all of which can now finally be confined to history as the 2013 Pirates head back toward the postseason.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/09/04/pirates-20-worst-moments-20-years-of-losing/?sct=mlb_t1t_a3

Lady Steel
09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Here's the Pirates lineup for tonight's 8:15 PM Eastern game in St. Louis.

https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1173719_10151849230422931_517938601_n.jpg

Can they win #82 tonight? I think so!

I've got my Smirnoff Ice chillin' for game time.

LETS GO BUCS!

NSMaster56
09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
BIG series.

Pardon the hyperbole, but possibly season-defining...

Lady Steel
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
That 2 run error by Cutch was costly. :frown:

Lady Steel
09-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh boy, this isn't looking good. 5-0 Cardinals in the bottom of the 3rd. Our Buccos look like crap right now.

C'mon, boys, get it together! I believe!

NSMaster56
09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
That 2 run error by Cutch was costly. :frown:

If Pedro gets that single in the first instead of the fifth...

8 hits, 1 run, 21 LOB. One of those nights. :banging:

ebsteelers
09-07-2013, 08:37 AM
gotta st. louis with the lead in the division

come on buccos.. one more and you make history