PDA

View Full Version : Comp picks for Wallace, Lewis, & Spinny... equals trading up for Clowney

teegre
04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
It seems as though there is a lot of talk & concern about losing a lot of FAs this year. Many have stated that the "silver lining" is three comp picks. Likewise, several have talked about getting Clowney in 2014 (for whatever reason, that seems like the "solution" to losing Wallace & Lewis).

Ergo, I am proposing a legitimate way in which the Steelers could realistically trade up for Clowney. Here are the facts, and then the proposal.

1. Clowney is going #1 overall.

2. I always assume that the Steelers are picking 32... (for obvious reasons).

2-a. Assuming that that is indeed the case, going from 32 all the way up to 1 is the hardest trade up that there could be.

3. The Steelers are most likely going to get comp picks for Wallace (R3), Lewis (R4), and Spinny (R7).

3-a. Assuming that the Steelers are picking 32 in every round, the comp picks for R3 & R4 would only be a few spots later (R3: 96 and a comp pick between 97-100; R4: 132 and a comp pick between 133-136).

3-b. In most drafts, teams have 7 picks. Trading away those "original" R3 & R4 picks would be replaced (essentially) by the comp picks (e.g. a pick between 97-100 replaces pick 96).

3-c. People are hesitant to trade away picks (rightfully so, because picks are like gold). BUT, those three comp picks can NOT be traded away. So, at a minimum, even if the Steelers were to trade away ALL of their other draft picks, they'd still have four draft picks (Clowney, R3, R4, R7).

And that's exactly what I propose that they do: trade away everything, in order to move up to the #1 overall pick.

SUMMATION
Again, most teams expect to get seven picks in a draft. The Steelers would only be getting four... which is not too bad. Considering that the R3 & R4 comp picks are essentially the same as the ones that they would originally have, it means that the Steelers would "basicslly" only lose a R2, R5, & R6 pick, in order to acquire Clowney.

R1: Clowney
R2: traded away
R3: comp pick replaces "original" pick
R4: comp pick replaces "original" pick
R5: traded away
R6: traded away
R7: comp pick replaces the "original"

I think that it's easily worth it, for the best OLB that I've seen in a decade.

desertsteel
04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Last year this time Matt Barkley was going number 1 in the 2013 draft....

teegre
04-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Last year this time Matt Barkley was going number 1 in the 2013 draft....

Regardless of who is ranked #1 overall, the point is still the same: trading up is not as far-fetched as one would think (if one takes those three comp picks into consideration).

Stairway to 7
04-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Someone has too much time on their hands...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Can you actually trade away compensatory draft picks? I thought for some reason you could not.

Bane
04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
For them to do this, they'd have to not take an OLB early this year. I don't think they're going to anyway, given the faith they seem to have in Worilds. Didn't they put out a public statement saying it was his time?

Either way, I'd shit my pants if they drafted Clowney. Hell, I'd shit your pants.

teegre
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Someone has too much time on their hands...

True.

That said, it seems that a lot of the threads, especially the Worilds threads and the Harrison threads, end up with several people pining for Clowney (myself included).

With the possibility of the Steelers going with Worilds and NOT drafting an OLB early, the Clowney discussion is not solely "daydreaming"; it might be a logical, (although highly unlikely) gameplan.

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I'd do this. The fact we still have mid-round picks is what seals it for me. We might have to change our scheme to accommodate him but I'd be willing to do that too.

teegre
04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Can you actually trade away compensatory draft picks? I thought for some reason you could not.

You are correct: comp picks can NOT be traded away.

I was suggesting trading away every other pick... which would leave the Steelers with Clowney and the three comp picks (R3, R4, & R7).

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Clowney's good, but he's not worth trading basically an entire draft for. Especially since he's never played in space. Patience in the draft has always been this team's mantra.

kan_t
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
The Redskins traded THREE first round picks and one second round pick in order to move up from #6 to #2. Team which has the #1 will just laugh at your trade proposal.

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
The Redskins traded THREE first round picks and one second round pick in order to move up from #6 to #2. Team which has the #1 will just laugh at your trade proposal.

To get RG3. Say what you will, the Rams weren't going to take a Quarterback when they had already invested in Sam Bradford. A team like Oakland will need a Quarterback, especially if the Pryor experiment fails. They won't be in a position to take someone like Clowney if they have the number one overall pick.

Either Jacksonville or Oakland will have the number one overall pick and I'm willing to bet that they'd rather have 7 other prospects than just a Quarterback, especially in the case of the Raiders who just picked up Matt Flynn. Would they get better offers than that? Maybe, but I don't think by a whole lot. Teams like the Patriots (who constantly pick bottom 20's) would offer up years of picks but in all honesty, Teegre's deal is the better of the two. Unless someone like Arizona offers up years and years of picks, it's not worth it.

I do agree that it might not be enough and, in all likelihood, would have to offer up a 2015 first and 2016 second in addition to the full draft in 2014, that's a deal I'd be comfortable with too.

kan_t
04-01-2013, 12:26 PM
To get RG3. Say what you will, the Rams weren't going to take a Quarterback when they had already invested in Sam Bradford. A team like Oakland will need a Quarterback, especially if the Pryor experiment fails. They won't be in a position to take someone like Clowney if they have the number one overall pick.

Either Jacksonville or Oakland will have the number one overall pick and I'm willing to bet that they'd rather have 7 other prospects than just a Quarterback, especially in the case of the Raiders who just picked up Matt Flynn. Would they get better offers than that? Maybe, but I don't think by a whole lot. Teams like the Patriots (who constantly pick bottom 20's) would offer up years of picks but in all honesty, Teegre's deal is the better of the two. Unless someone like Arizona offers up years and years of picks, it's not worth it.

I do agree that it might not be enough and, in all likelihood, would have to offer up a 2015 first and 2016 second in addition to the full draft in 2014, that's a deal I'd be comfortable with too.
It's not this year draft. Next year draft supposes to have real top 5 QB talents (Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, etc.). Even though they don't want to use #1 on Clowney, they would have no problem using it on those QBs. Giving them a #32 wouldn't solve their QB situations.

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
It's not this year draft. Next year draft supposes to have real top 5 QB talents (Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, etc.). Even though they don't want to use #1 on Clowney, they would have no problem using it on those QBs. Giving them a #32 wouldn't solve their QB situations.

I know it's 2014, but they just got Matt Flynn to duke it out with Pryor to see if either one of them are legitimate Quarterbacks. I think that if either Pryor or Flynn comes out and looks like he could be something, they'll be more inclined to trade it away for a full draft.

A guy can pipedream, right?

teegre
04-01-2013, 04:02 PM

If all of those QBs go early, then that pushes Clowney down to #5... making it easier to trade up & acquire him.

pete74
04-01-2013, 04:11 PM
The only position you can justify trading that many picks for is QB and it better be a Payton Manning style QB

teegre
04-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Washington overpays rotuinely: for free agents, and in the draft (they are always trading away picks).

That said you are right:
Most trade-value charts list the #1 overall as worth 3000 points. All seven of Pittsburgh's points would be worth about 1,070 points.

Ergo, it would likely require an addition R1 pick (from 2015) to acquire the #1 overall

But, as you were saying, if a few QBs go 1, 2, & 3... Clowney might be there at 4 or 5... which brings the price down to about 1700... which might only require a R2 pick (from 2015).

Lastly, the trade value chart is only a "guide." If a team really, really, really wants to trade up, they will overspend. Likewise, if a team wants extra picks/wants out of the top five, they might take less "point" value, in order to acquire more players (take 2,000 "points" versus the suggested 3000 "points"). You never really know... until draft day rolls around.

teegre
04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
The only position you can justify trading that many picks for is QB and it better be a Payton Manning style QB

This is not (necessarily) a "the Steelers should do this thread" thread.

This is more of a "if any year were possible to trade up, it would be next year, because the Steelers have three extra comp picks" thread.

Make sense?

lipps83
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I think I would rather see the Steelers lose into the top pick instead of basically trading away an entire draft for one player (even though he just might be Jesus in pads). The season would suck, but Jesus Clowney might be worth it.

NSMaster56
04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
And that's exactly what I propose that they do: trade away everything, in order to move up to the #1 overall pick.

Mike Ditka?

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I just don't see what makes Clowney this revolutionary talent. Yeah, he's really goddamned good and a surefire top 5 pick. But he's not producing absurd stat lines that make him worth throwing an entire season away for. No team in their right minds would do that. It didn't happen for Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers, it won't happen for Clowney.

pete74
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
This is not (necessarily) a "the Steelers should do this thread" thread.

This is more of a "if any year were possible to trade up, it would be next year, because the Steelers have three extra comp picks" thread.

Make sense?

Well there are alot of decent QB's coming out next season and I wouldn'tccomplain if we traded up to grab Ben's replacement. Let him sit for the next 3-4 years then take over. He can get good game experience by playing 3-4 games a year while Ben is injured

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Well there are alot of decent QB's coming out next season and I wouldn'tccomplain if we traded up to grab Ben's replacement. Let him sit for the next 3-4 years then take over. He can get good game experience by playing 3-4 games a year while Ben is injured

I vote Teddy Bridgewater!

teegre
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I vote Teddy Bridgewater!

I like Aaron Murray.

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Tajh Boyd for me.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
since no one has mentioned him yet, I'll go with David Fales from San Jose St.

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 09:43 PM
since no one has mentioned him yet, I'll go with David Fales from San Jose St.

I just read something on this kid too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563368-passing-grade-why-david-fales-is-college-footballs-most-intriguing-quarterback

Interesting take on him.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
I just read something on this kid too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563368-passing-grade-why-david-fales-is-college-footballs-most-intriguing-quarterback

Interesting take on him.

thanks for the great read, the couple of times I've seen Fales play he was absolutely sensational.

bornaSteelersfan
04-01-2013, 11:58 PM
In the end, Clowney is still only 1 player. Not only that, he is a DE. This alone means he will probably drop. Besides those two obvious things, this season hasn't even played out, yet. I am sure he will be a high draft pick assuming he doesn't get hurt. Look what happened to Matt Barkley and Marcus Lattimore. Not even a pipe dream unless you are completely infatuated and obsessed with the guy.

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
In the end, Clowney is still only 1 player. Not only that, he is a DE. This alone means he will probably drop. Besides those two obvious things, this season hasn't even played out, yet. I am sure he will be a high draft pick assuming he doesn't get hurt. Look what happened to Matt Barkley and Marcus Lattimore. Not even a pipe dream unless you are completely infatuated and obsessed with the guy.

Clowney is whatever he decides to be. If he came here, we'd have to seriously consider changing to a 4-3 though.

kan_t
04-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Don't know how you come out with this conclusion.

bornaSteelersfan
04-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Don't know how you come out with this conclusion.

In the last 30 years only 3 DE's were taken as the #1 pick including 1985 Bruce Smith, 2000 Courtney Brown, and 2006 Mario Williams. In that same time there were 17 QB's taken as the #1 pick. This is why most likely he will drop down from #1. That plus this year's draft doesn't have very good QB prospects so next year many teams may pick one.

ebsteelers
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
well if we were to take clowney, if we are still playing a 3-4 he would have to play olb right would seem like waste to take him and throw him at de in a 3-4?
does anyone know how he plays in coverage, and hand off the ground on a regular basis?

cant see it happening at all unless we are in the top 10 of the draft...

guess its nice to dream though but wont get my hopes up or trade a whole draft away for one player.. and if even still unless a team has another first round pick not a chance in hell they will drop from first overall to last pick in the first round.

hopefully he has a good year but seems like people are always over hyping the number 1 pick way too far in advance.