PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring in Christine Michael for pre-draft visit

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I like it. Here's a little excerpt from a piece I wrote about under the radar prospects on offense.

HB: CHRISTINE MICHAEL, TEXAS A&M

Why Aren't We Talking About Him?
It's simple, really; we just never saw him consistently. Michael was hampered by injuries constantly throughout his college career, as well as playing second fiddle to Cyrus Gray (6th round pick in the 2012 draft) despite arguably outshining him. Then, when finally getting his chance at a starting job this season, he squandered it by landing in the coach's doghouse due to maturity issues. With a chance to improve his stock at the combine - which he did in the physical portion, outshining every running back not named Knile Davis - he raised more red flags by oversleeping and missing a couple of team interviews. Much like Tyler Bray, his character will be weighed against his physical talent, as well as his injury history.

Why Should We Be Talking About Him?
Because, quite frankly, when we actually did see him on the field, he was an electric playmaker. He scored an absurd 12 touchdowns on 88 carries in 2012. In 2011, he was on pace for a breakout season as a reserve until he went down with a season ending injury. However, he looks like an NFL runner with a big frame that he runs even bigger behind, with great acceleration and becomes a hazard to defenders in the open field. Michael also has plenty of moves in the open field to leave tacklers looking clueless; to put it simply, all the traits of a good running back are there, but is it just a matter of time before he gets injured or finds himself in trouble?

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 03:20 PM
I have always liked Michael as a RB except for his attitude issues with the coaching staff.

where did you see that we're bringing him in for a visit?

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I have always liked Michael as a RB except for his attitude issues with the coaching staff.

https://www.twitter.com/BobLabriola/statuses/318778997758636032

Also bringing in John Simon and Vince Williams. I think Williams is a nice sleeper at ILB in the 4th-5th, he looked really fluid at the combine.

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I saw quite a few FSU games this year and I can tell you that Vince Williams is a good sleeper pick for any team that grabs him. I doubt he'd be playing Inside Linebacker for us because of his size and the fact that he's,a very versatile athlete. Picture a bigger Lawrence Timmons. He's fluid and possesses a good, not great, ability to get off blocks and play in space. That to me says he might be best as an Outside Linebacker. He's in the 250 range and if he puts on another 5 - 10 pounds, he'd be perfect as a 3-4 OLB.

jfeust
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Just watched the highlights on him. I must say he looks interesting. Reminds me of Ray Rice.

LCVqxFeWFoU

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Yeah, he looked good at the East West Shrine Game. North and South runner that ran between the tackles well. Kind of reminded me of the running style of Tashard Choice, but a bit thicker build.

steelfury02
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I like it. Here's a little excerpt from a piece I wrote about under the radar prospects on offense.

HB: CHRISTINE MICHAEL, TEXAS A&M

Why Aren't We Talking About Him?
It's simple, really; we just never saw him consistently. Michael was hampered by injuries constantly throughout his college career, as well as playing second fiddle to Cyrus Gray (6th round pick in the 2012 draft) despite arguably outshining him. Then, when finally getting his chance at a starting job this season, he squandered it by landing in the coach's doghouse due to maturity issues. With a chance to improve his stock at the combine - which he did in the physical portion, outshining every running back not named Knile Davis - he raised more red flags by oversleeping and missing a couple of team interviews. Much like Tyler Bray, his character will be weighed against his physical talent, as well as his injury history.

Why Should We Be Talking About Him?
Because, quite frankly, when we actually did see him on the field, he was an electric playmaker. He scored an absurd 12 touchdowns on 88 carries in 2012. In 2011, he was on pace for a breakout season as a reserve until he went down with a season ending injury. However, he looks like an NFL runner with a big frame that he runs even bigger behind, with great acceleration and becomes a hazard to defenders in the open field. Michael also has plenty of moves in the open field to leave tacklers looking clueless; to put it simply, all the traits of a good running back are there, but is it just a matter of time before he gets injured or finds himself in trouble?

I'd hate to paint one guy with the same brush I used to paint Mendy, but, when I read this - I just think Mendy repeat - not saying that it would happen, but, I'm starting to question some of the recent picks and if we start whiffing at positions, especially on offense and get another attitude, arguably at the team's weakest position, this could really hurt us making a serious run

Kingmagyar
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
OLB John Simon Ohio State
RB Christine Michael Texas A&M
ILB Vince Williams Florida State

I like all 3 of these guys! All later picks too.

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah, his best attribute is that he just hits the hole and grinds for yards instead of trying to be flashy and dance around tackles. Great buildup speed as well.

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd hate to paint one guy with the same brush I used to paint Mendy, but, when I read this - I just think Mendy repeat - not saying that it would happen, but, I'm starting to question some of the recent picks and if we start whiffing at positions, especially on offense and get another attitude, arguably at the team's weakest position, this could really hurt us making a serious run

I don't think he's like Rashard Spinthenfall for the reasons I just mentioned. Michael attacks the hole and goes north/south instead of dancing around in the backfield waiting for something to happen. Far more of a decisive runner with better balance.

teegre
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I heard that his theme song is "A Boy Named Sue."

But... that might just be a rumor.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, his best attribute is that he just hits the hole and grinds for yards instead of trying to be flashy and dance around tackles. Great buildup speed as well.

do you by any chance know what exactly it was that caused Michael to land in the Texas A&M coaching staff's doghouse?

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Can't say I know any specifics, but it was all but confirmed to be attitude-related.

Steelstoned1972
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
No thanks. Im tired of attitudes. Off my board unless hes a free agent. :tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
this dude cried like a little bitch because the new coach switched to a spread offense and decreased his role in the offense.
mememememeeeee

pczach
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't think he's like Rashard Spinthenfall for the reasons I just mentioned. Michael attacks the hole and goes north/south instead of dancing around in the backfield waiting for something to happen. Far more of a decisive runner with better balance.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about his head, not his running style.

Rabbit
04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Attitude can be coached. Talent can't. Keep in mind this is a guy I'm touting as a mid round prospect. He may havebeen selfish at 19, but he's not doing drugs or beating women.

Hawaii 5-0
04-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Steelers host three prospects for upcoming NFL Draft

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, April 1, 2013

Inside linebacker Vince Williams of Florida State, defensive end/linebacker John Simon of Ohio State and running back Christine Michael of Texas A&M visited Monday with the Steelers. They were the first players brought in for in-house interviews.

NFL teams are permitted to bring in as many 30 players for interviews in advance of the April 25-27 draft.

Simon and Michael are projected as early to mid-round picks, and Williams, who visited last week with the Chiefs, is seen as a later-round pick.

Simon is coming off shoulder surgery that didn't allow him to take part in any of the drills at the recent NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, so he had his own pro day last week in Columbus, Ohio.

Simon was a first-team All-Big Ten player last season and led the conference with nine sacks. Michael was a backup last season but ran for 12 touchdowns and 417 yards on 88 carries.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3761722-74/simon-michael-nfl#ixzz2PGjMVYOV

ZoneBlitzer
04-02-2013, 02:06 AM
I heard that his theme song is "A Boy Named Sue."

But... that might just be a rumor.

I know. Paging Johnny Cash. I would've changed that name ages ago. How about just truncating the tine part? His parents must be morons.

BlaZeQuietly
04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Looks good, but we wonder why our team is always knocked up? because we end up with a choice between this guy and bradshaw?

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Looks good, but we wonder why our team is always knocked up? because we end up with a choice between this guy and bradshaw?

Well I mean we have our pick of the litter with dozens of other prospects, but okay.

pczach
04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
This is just another story. We have no idea who the Steelers are going to draft, or who they are seriously looking at. We could have someone we have never heard of, or a stud from a major program as our running back next year.

WVABE
04-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Chrissy the sissy, no wonder he has a tude, draft his ass he'll fit right in.

Ever here of a man named Tammy, one of my old buds (RIP).

Jansteelers73
04-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Ok rabbit...I need help. Who is Christine Michael? I did not see him at the scouting combine. Do you have any info on that?

Jansteelers73
04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm just really excited for the draft. The burgh can go in any direction. It just seems like there is alot of potential to pick a blue chip stud in this draft. Please Burgh don't draft a lineman in the first round.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Ok rabbit...I need help. Who is Christine Michael? I did not see him at the scouting combine. Do you have any info on that?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/christine-michael?id=2539322

You know the website google.com.....yeah use it.

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/christine-michael?id=2539322

You know the website google.com.....yeah use it.

This guy is new, let's give him a break.

Christine Michael is a Running Back from Texas A&M. He has his issues, but he has potential. The under 50 word report on him is he's talented but has maturity issues which will remind us all of Mendenhall. Picture a less spin-happy, more "hardnosed" Running Back with better one-cut ability and is more versatile, but that shares the same "why am I not getting the ball?" ideology.

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Texas A&M Running Back Christine Michael

By
Sigmund Bloom

When it comes to pure running ability, there's no running back in the 2013 draft class better than Christine Michael. On the other hand, none of the other backs of Michael's caliber have as many questions or holes in their game as Michael does. How high will an NFL team be willing to take this high risk/high reward ballcarrier?

Strengths

Michael is an electric runner. He gets north-south in a hurry with explosive cuts into the hole and generally plays at a different speed than anyone else on the field. Michael is a rugged and explosive player who will attempt to run a tackler over just as quickly as he'll put a move on them in the open field.

l52K5QZ2OEw

Weaknesses

There are questions about injuries (broken tibia in 2010 and torn ACL in 2011). There are questions about his pass blocking and receiving ability - both are limited and sometimes ineffective. There are questions about his character which caused him to be used in a smaller role during 2012, and also resulted in Michael sleeping through some meetings with teams at the Combine. He has also never had more than 166 carries in a season.

Tools

At 5'10" 220, Michael's frame is just about perfect for an NFL running back. His timed speed of a 4.54 40 at the Combine isn't elite, but his initial burst and moves in the open field still create plenty of long plays. Michael's 43" vertical, 6.69 three-cone time, and 4.02 short shuttle were all the best among running backs at the Combine. His 27 bench press reps and 10'5" broad jump were top three. He is a rare physical specimen.

Intangibles/Character

As mentioned above, Michael's relationship with the A&M coaching staff cost him playing time in 2012. He made a bad impression off the field at the Combine with his missed meetings, and he also has two serious leg injuries in his past. His character issues are big enough that Lance Zierlein wrote that they could cause him to fall to the fourth round at The National Football Post.

System

Michael had a good mix of runs out of an I-formation and shotgun runs without a lead fullback over the course of his career. He was at his best on stretch plays that allowed him to see and choose the hole himself.

Vision

Michael's vision isn't perfect - you'll sometimes see him take runs outside to his detriment instead of staying between the tackles - but his explosion of out decisive cuts is so overwhelming that he often appears to be very advanced at seeing the hole developing. He doesn't hit holes, he attacks them. Michael doesn't look patient because his body is crackling with kinetic energy, but he can deliberately find and tear through holes on stretch plays.

Passing Game

Michael has little experience as a receiver, with no more than 15 receptions in any year of his career. Occasionally, he will light up a blitzer, but just as often he'll whiff or fail to engage a rushing defender. When he moves his feet and squares up, Michael can be a devastating blocker, and he can also execute cut blocks well, but inconsistency here will limit his work on passing downs early in his career.

Between The Tackles

Michael is very comfortable running between the tackles. His sharp cuts get him through the hole immediately after quick, choppy steps to survey the line and locate the hole. He can also take a ball and instantly get downhill when he has a lead blocker with great results. Michael is not afraid of contact and will run hard in tight quarters to get what's there.

Elusiveness

Even though he has the innate quickness to do it, Michael is not a dancer or a jitterbug back in space. He puts pressure on a defense by getting to the second level without pause, and then forcing missed tackles with sharp cuts that can sometimes turn tacklers 360 degrees in an attempt to recover. Michael has a great spin move, but he is more likely to defeat a tackler with subtle moves in the open field before he encounters them. Michael does gather to change direction and appears to be impatient as an open field runner at times, but his amazing tools often make up for any shortcomings in his mental approach to running the ball.

Power

His game isn't predicated on power, but Michael will truck a tackler in the open field. He has a mean stiff arm and generally runs with little regard to his or the tackler's health. His naturally low pad level ensures many won collisions, and Michael usually gets even lower when he senses oncoming contact.

Scheme Versatility/Future Role

Like David Wilson with the Giants last year, Michael will need to work on his pass blocking to get on the field as a rookie. He may never be an ideal back on third downs, but he will likely be the most physically talented back on his roster from day one. Michael could be a big-time playmaker in a zone blocking running scheme with his combination of burst, size, decisiveness, and toughness.

Round/Team Fits

Green Bay (2nd-4th)

Cincinnati (2nd-4th)

Pittsburgh (3rd-4th)

San Diego (3rd-4th)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1588951-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report-texas-am-running-back-christine-michael