PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Sylvester resigned

67 calsteel
04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
The Steelers have resign him to a 1 year contract. Think this say Spence will not play this year.

harrison'samonster
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
from everything I've read, the Steelers aren't optimistic about his recovery and they aren't counting on it. I believe they are still going to wait and see how he moves on the field when he gets to that point. I think we'll have to wait until 2014 to find out.

EDIT: I mean Spence

steelfury02
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
just more bad Karma for the Steelers

Fire Arians
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
he's good on special teams, i don't have a problem with this signing

VaDave
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm ok with this signing, but keep in mind, it's no guarantee he makes it through training camp.

Steelers5895
04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
he's good on special teams, i don't have a problem with this signing

he sucks on special teams. mr illegal block. total waste of money

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
just more bad Karma for the Steelers

It is not bad karma it's bad drafting. He was questionable before the injury.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm ok with this signing, but keep in mind, it's no guarantee he makes it through training camp.

Exactly....I would rather see a roster spot goto a player that has a future with the team as a possible starter, than a marginal special teamer that wont start for the team.

lloydwoodson
04-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Curtis Brown and Stevenson Sylvester are both excellent special teams players and will probably have roster spots for this reason.

Sylvester had 3 holding penalties in 2012 which isnt good but he is great in coverage so unless you want to go back to the days when Josh Cribbs was beating the Steelers by himself with his returns you should be happy he is on the team.

Steelers special teams were ATROCIOUS in coverage before Brown and Sylvester. They are actually pretty good now.

GREAT SIGNING.

Blacksburg Zach
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Curtis Brown and Stevenson Sylvester are both excellent special teams players and will probably have roster spots for this reason.

Sylvester had 3 holding penalties in 2012 which isnt good but he is great in coverage so unless you want to go back to the days when Josh Cribbs was beating the Steelers by himself with his returns you should be happy he is on the team.

Steelers special teams were ATROCIOUS in coverage before Brown and Sylvester. They are actually pretty good now.

GREAT SIGNING.

Sure, Curtis Brown and Stevenson Sylvester may be good special teams players, but I think moving kickoffs to the 35 yard line helped the special teams unit more than anything else.

Terminator
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
The Steelers have resign him to a 1 year contract. Think this say Spence will not play this year.

Sean Spence will never play a snap in the NFL.

He has major damage to his peroneal nerve and can't even fully walk yet.

teegre
04-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Fuck.

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM

To everybody that wanna read it on hs own here is the article I found to his injury.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-peroneal-nerve-damage-knee/

Actually I didn't knew that it was that bad because I didn't heard about anything until now but you know every injury is diffrent. Maybe he can return, maybe not. But still I wish him the best and even if he can't return that is not the end of the world. Not for the steelers and especially not for his personal life.

harrison'samonster
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Not for the steelers and especially not for his personal life.

all very true. I pray for the best!

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84 26 Mar

Excited about my fam @3Spence1 strong recovery great pool resistance sprints today 30 sec on 30 off 10 sets #letGodwork

AB said he was sprinting as of March 26th.

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Excited about my fam @3Spence1 strong recovery great pool resistance sprints today 30 sec on 30 off 10 sets #letGodwork

Yeah I read that a few moments ago too but you don't know if this is a good time or just a solid rehab time. He has a severe injury and there are lot of things you have to recover from. I mean he has nerve damage. How bad it is? I don't know.

But still I wish him the best and hopefully he can be part of our team this season or even the next season. But like I said playing football again isn't the most improtant thing in football and I hope he can deal with it if he can't play anymore. Just wish him well!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Good to hear. Probably pool work for some anti gravity type help. Cant remember, but I thought damaged peroneal nerve results in "drop foot" where you cant feel when your foot actually contacts the ground.

Hope the kid makes it back to at least normal walking and hopefully football.

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
depth is depth. He knows the system and can tackle on kick offs and punts. That's all that matters really. Its just about Worlds (I'll spell your name right when you make a couple splash plays punk!) stepping up and fitting into the roll of pass rusher on the right side of the defense. If Jason can't get the job done, then we have made a mistake letting Harrison walk off into the sunset with out at least one shout out of "Shane" in his direction.

Plus Woodley better step up his effing game. Fat arse needs to get on the treadmill and get his body into game shape prior to October.

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
probably a dumb question but how does spences contract work with him being out most likely again this year?

Terminator
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
probably a dumb question but how does spences contract work with him being out most likely again this year?

Well, he will be on IR, so he won't take up a roster spot, and I believe he would still get paid whether they cut him or not, so it's best to just leave him on IR.

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Steelers Sign Sylvester And What That Could Mean

Apr 3rd, 2013 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/04/6833236-590x393.jpg

The Steelers signed Stevenson Sylvester to a one year deal on Wednesday. Sylvester was an RFA at the start of the offseason but became an UFA after the team decided to not offer a tender by the deadline. The deal is reportedly less than the $1.3 million he would have received were the team to offer him the original tender.

The move of not signing Sylvester and then getting him for less money could be seen as sound economics by the Steelers. Knowing that Sylvester was injury plagued all last season and only contributed on special teams, the Steelers probably had a hunch that Sylvester wouldn’t be a hot commodity during free agency. Like fellow linebacker James Harrison, no one seems to want the unwanted…. unless you’re the Steelers brass. A good deal for the Steelers who are in need of linebacker help after releasing Harrison and failing to lock up any other ‘significant’ free agent, such as Victor Butler. But, let us remember that Sylvester is an inside linebacker and does not play well on the outside.

What this says about the state of the inside linebacking core is not a good one. Even though shoring up the middle with depth is a good move (and I’m all for it), it gives me great pause. What this really means for the Steelers is that 2012 rookie Sean Spence is no where near a full recovery. Spence, as you recall, severely injured his knee during the Steelers final preseason game in 2012. Thought of as the eventual replacement to James Farrior, Spence had a solid preseason up to the injury. There was no way to know at that point if Spence would over the course of the season step up and over teammate Larry Foote in the depth chart. If Spence were nearing the end of his road to recovery, I would expect the Steelers would place him back at #2 on the depth chart and allow him some playing time behind both Foote and Lawrence Timmons. By signing Sylvester, after presumably no wanting him by making the tendered offer, it says to me that Spence is a long ways off from stepping onto the football field in a game situation.

The Steelers need depth and they need familiarity with the system – Foote’s age, pass coverage inconsistencies, and the need for special teams personnel were probably all factors in getting Sylvester back on the roster. The signing also more than likely signifies that the Steelers are done shopping for a free agent linebacker…. at least until June 1st when they get almost $5 million in saved money from releasing Willie Colon.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/04/03/steelers-sign-sylvester-and-what-that-could-means/