PDA

View Full Version : Penn State LB Michael Mauti to Visit Steelers This Week

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/penn-state-lb-michael-mauti-to-visit-steelers-this-week/

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
I think I'm the only guy on this site that doesn't see it with this kid.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm just posting the news, I'm not particularly a huge fan of him either. I'm always leery of dudes who have had severe injury issues coming out of college.

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm just posting the news, I'm not particularly a huge fan of him either. I'm always leery of dudes who have had severe injury issues coming out of college.

Oh forsure, I do the same things all the time. A lot of guys on here see his upside which is fair, I'm with you though - he has a pretty significant injury history. Even before that though, he didn't set the world on fire.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Probably because he's a local product and Penn State has had a knack for pumping out quality linebackers as of recently - Sean Lee, Navorro Bowman, Paul Posluszny, Tamba Hali, etc.

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Agreed..... If he is undrafted then invite him, don't throw a pick away.

pczach
04-03-2013, 03:38 PM

He's a far more athletic player than Te'o, With better leadership and judgement than the borderline 1st or 2nd round player that Te'o is rated at. He's basically the same size, with better speed and great instincts. He led his team in interceptions and led the Big Ten in interception return yards. He not only plays well against the run, but is effective in coverage and can rush the passer. All this while missing the last game of the year. This doesn't even touch on his amazing leadership qualities that became very evident if you paid any attention at all to Penn State football this past year. If you had watched this guy play at Penn State, you would know that he has made plays every time he stepped on the field. I don't know what there is to not like about him other than his injury history.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I can understand liking the kid and his positive qualities, but saying he's a better prospect than Te'o is just erroneous.

ebsteelers
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
He's a far more athletic player than Te'o, With better leadership and judgement than the borderline 1st or 2nd round player that Te'o is rated at. He's basically the same size, with better speed and great instincts. He led his team in interceptions and led the Big Ten in interception return yards. He not only plays well against the run, but is effective in coverage and can rush the passer. All this while missing multiple games at the end of the year. This doesn't even touch on his amazing leadership qualities that became very evident if you paid any attention at all to Penn State football this past year. If you had watched this guy play at Penn State, you would know that he has made plays every time he stepped on the field. I don't know what there is to not like about him other than his injury history.

all comes off as a little homerish...

up to January 7th this year, Teo was everything great leader, great person, all that noise. He did end up with 7 picks and was probably the best player on one of the better defenses in the country..

At the end of they day maybe Mauti is a better leader than Teo but what good is it, if he is gonna be on the bench cause of injuries

The injury history in itself has to be a major red flag for guys like him and Lattimore and im sure there are teams who wont even put guys like him on their board cause of the knee injuries

I'd take him late in round 7 or as a udfa we have too many problems with injuries to add him any earlier

pczach
04-03-2013, 04:33 PM
all comes off as a little homerish...

up to January 7th this year, Teo was everything great leader, great person, all that noise. He did end up with 7 picks and was probably the best player on one of the better defenses in the country..

At the end of they day maybe Mauti is a better leader than Teo but what good is it, if he is gonna be on the bench cause of injuries

The injury history in itself has to be a major red flag for guys like him and Lattimore and im sure there are teams who wont even put guys like him on their board cause of the knee injuries

I'd take him late in round 7 or as a udfa we have too many problems with injuries to add him any earlier

Wow. I state what is KNOWN about Mauti. I give my opinion about his athleticism. I know what Te'o's 40 time is, and so do all of you. You also watched him come to top speed quickly and then have no 4th or 5th gear. This equals coverage liability. I listed Mauti's accomplishments which are FACT, not homer opinions. 1st Team All-Big Ten, 1st Team All-American, and won the Butkus-Fitzgerald Award for best Big Ten LB. I make the comparison to Te'o not to bash Te'o, but to point out how great a bargain he can be if taken late in the draft.

Erroneous? Homerish? Who's opinion is lacking substance here?

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
You said he's more athletic than Te'o because Te'o ran an average 40 time. Pretty sure you're lacking substance.

pczach
04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
You said he's more athletic than Te'o because Te'o ran an average 40 time. Pretty sure you're lacking substance.

I list a paragraph full of stats and accomplishments, and That's what you get out of it? I even give you reasons why I have the opinion I do about him. You point to a 40 time that is slower than Mauti. The 40 time has NOTHING to do with athleticism. Try posting something that has the slightest bit of thought next time. Pretty sure you're losing this discussion.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Why would you bring up 40 times in the first place if you admit they have no bearing on athleticism? Individual awards also mean nothing. How are Colt Brennan and Tim Tebow doing in the NFL?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
To the teo Mauti arguement ill say this:

Teo is the better player in college out of the two I don't think you can argue against that with much success. Both are great leaders and have great instincts.

But if you looking at value in the draft then I believe Mauti is the better value because teo will go in rounds 1-2 and Mauti rounds 4-6. So in terms of talent and projected round Mauti holds the better value. Mauti was considered a very high talent but injuries have knocked him back. So better player goes to teo but better value goes to Mauti as of know, but 3 years down the line we will see.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Why would you bring up 40 times in the first place if you admit they have no bearing on athleticism? Individual awards also mean nothing. How are Colt Brennan and Tim Tebow doing in the NFL?

Add Jason white to that list.

But you can give a list of guys with a bunch of awards who succeeded and a list of who didn't. Awards do mean something they aren't given out for the hell out, it's
Awarded to kids who have separated themselves from others in college. A lot of things go into why some of those kids don't succeed at the next level.

ebsteelers
04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow. I state what is KNOWN about Mauti. I give my opinion about his athleticism. I know what Te'o's 40 time is, and so do all of you. You also watched him come to top speed quickly and then have no 4th or 5th gear. This equals coverage liability. I listed Mauti's accomplishments which are FACT, not homer opinions. 1st Team All-Big Ten, 1st Team All-American, and won the Butkus-Fitzgerald Award for best Big Ten LB. I make the comparison to Te'o not to bash Te'o, but to point out how great a bargain he can be if taken late in the draft.

Erroneous? Homerish? Who's opinion is lacking substance here?

settle down, what i bolded is what comes off as homerish.. better leader, amazing leadership qualities that stuff comes off as homerish.. it sounds like your his agent trying to sell him to a team.

him being a better leader is not stats and accomplishments

as far as 40 times.. the 40 is the biggest waste of any combine event.. ask jerry rice or terrell suggs what the 40 means.

cause for every mauti stat you can throw out 2 for teo

Career highlights and awards

Heisman Trophy Runner-Up (2012)
Lott Trophy (2012)
Maxwell Award (2012)
Chuck Bednarik Award (2012)
Walter Camp Award (2012)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2012)
Butkus Award (2012)
Lombardi Award (2012)

the fact that he has major injuries has to be a big time concern no matter how you look at it and as the steelers are right now getting older and injury concerns it'd be difficult to take him any earlier than the 7th round

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Teo is the better player in college out of the two I don't think you can argue against that with much success. Both are great leaders and have great instincts.

But if you looking at value in the draft then I believe Mauti is the better value because teo will go in rounds 1-2 and Mauti rounds 4-6. So in terms of talent and projected round Mauti holds the better value. Mauti was considered a very high talent but injuries have knocked him back. So better player goes to teo but better value goes to Mauti as of know, but 3 years down the line we will see.

Not sure he is a better value with 3 major knee injuries. He has shown he cannot stay healthy even with psu's cake schedule.

Seems like a good kid and was productive but to many question marks to blow a pick.

ebsteelers
04-03-2013, 06:30 PM

we can still get some quality players rounds 4-6.

and pre bama and fake girlfriend scandal teo was a top 15 pick.

if we hypothetical to fall to us in round 2, it'd be very difficult to not pull the trigger... althought i doubt he falls that far

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM

if we hypothetical to fall to us in round 2, it'd be very difficult to not pull the trigger... althought i doubt he falls that far

Again I stated teo is the better player. But before Mauti had his injuries he was up there with teo. Talent wise Mauti is a better value in the later rounds than teo in round 1.

Teo will not fall to us in the second.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Not sure he is a better value with 3 major knee injuries. He has shown he cannot stay healthy even with psu's cake schedule.

Seems like a good kid and was productive but to many question marks to blow a pick.

Notre dame had a cake schedule also. In terms of talent you are getting better value out of Mauti in the later rounds.

Lattimore has had major injuries but because of talent people still see a lot of value.

pczach
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Mauti is the better value by far if he stays healthy. I know that's a major if with his past, but he could flat out play. If he returns to full strength, I believe he can be a better pro than Te'o. I can't be any clearer than that.

The problem here is that I just gave my opinion on Mauti, a few guys jump down my throat, and then respond by telling me to settle down. Listen to yourselves. Think whatever you want about Mauti. And those of you that question the talent level he played against at Penn St. show yourselves as the truly uninformed. Notre Dame's schedule looked great on paper, but it didn't turn out that way either, did it? How did they and Te'o do against the first real team they played in the bowl game? I eagerly await your educated responses.

pczach
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Pre Bama and fake girlfriend scandle. Sounds like a real leader of men to me. He'll be the butt of every locker room joke if he doesn't light it up in the league immediately.

I think he's a good player. He's a Ray Maualuga type player. Good, physical player with limited athleticism and coverage skills. In the right system with good players around him, he could do well. Unprotected in coverage, major liability.

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Mauti is the better value by far if he stays healthy. I know that's a major if with his past, but he could flat out play. If he returns to full strength, I believe he can be a better pro than Te'o. I can't be any clearer than that.

The problem here is that I just gave my opinion on Mauti, a few guys jump down my throat, and then respond by telling me to settle down. Listen to yourselves. Think whatever you want about Mauti. And those of you that question the talent level he played against at Penn St. show yourselves as the truly uninformed. Notre Dame's schedule looked great on paper, but it didn't turn out that way either, did it? How did they and Te'o do against the first real team they played in the bowl game? I eagerly await your educated responses.

Penn State played a very soft schedule...to no fault of their own

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Are you a Cultist?

pczach
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Penn State played a very soft schedule...to no fault of their own

What about Notre Dame's scheldule? Looking back on who they beat and how, wasn't that a "cake schedule"?

Penn State plays a tougher schedule year in, year out than ND. Penn State puts out big time defensive players every year, while ND has been horrible, particularly on defense for many years now. Yet, somehow, I have to defend a 1st team All-American linebacker from one of the most proven programs in the country when it comes to producing NFL quality linebackers, and Te'o is given a free pass and considered can't miss. By the way, Mauti played against Alabama a couple times because part of Penn State's "cake schedule" was playing Alabama as part of their non-conference schedule the previous two years. Against Alabama, Mauti and Penn State played much better than ND. In particular, their defense held up very well against all those All-American linemen. Te'o and his team got pushed all over the field and dominated. So much for that theory.

pczach
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Are you a Cultist?

Another great point by a deep thinker......:doh:

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Another great point by a deep thinker......:doh:

I live in Central Pa. Friends with many Cultist..Don't take it personal.

The BIG was as weak as they come this year. Pitt would have been better off in the B1G.

pczach
04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I live in Central Pa. Friends with many Cultist..Don't take it personal.

The BIG was as weak as they come this year. Pitt would have been better off in the B1G.

There's no doubt, the Big Ten was down this year. I'm just saying that ND's schedule looked great before the year started, but all the teams they played had down years or just weren't very good. Some of them were Big Ten teams.

White_Steel_Wolfe
04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Teo? Teo? No. Teo would be a wasted pick. Did anyone watch Alabama's mediocre offense completely dominate ND? Teo was non factor and non existent and I believe will continue to be so. Another fact is ND should of never been in the BCS game. Handed several bogus wins.

steeltheone
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Teo? Teo? No. Teo would be a wasted pick. Did anyone watch Alabama's mediocre offense completely dominate ND? Teo was non factor and non existent and I believe will continue to be so. Another fact is ND should of never been in the BCS game. Handed several bogus wins.

What do you think Bama would have done to PSU?

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Amari Cooper, McCarron, Williams, Yeldon and Lacy with an offensive line that consists of Fluker, Jones and Warmack is by no means mediocre. Sure, McCarron isn't the best Quarterback in college football but the pieces he had around him were insane.

'Bama's offense rolled over that ND defense because if anything, the ND defense was mediocre.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Notre Dame's schedule looked great on paper, but it didn't turn out that way either, did it? How did they and Te'o do against the first real team they played in the bowl game? I eagerly await your educated responses.

Pretty sure Notre Dame played four teams that finished in the AP Top 25 at the end of the year (Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan, Alabama).

Sorry if that's not educated enough for you.

Rabbit
04-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Amari Cooper, McCarron, Williams, Yeldon and Lacy with an offensive line that consists of Fluker, Jones and Warmack is by no means mediocre.

This.

That offensive line consisted of three future first round picks (Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Cyrus Kouandijo), and a second day pick in Barrett Jones. Running behind them was Eddie Lacy, a projected 1st-2nd round pick. Notre Dame's defensive line was absolutely outmatched.

teegre
04-04-2013, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8

pczach
04-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Pretty sure Notre Dame played four teams that finished in the AP Top 25 at the end of the year (Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan, Alabama).

Sorry if that's not educated enough for you.

The bowl game is not part of the schedule braniac. Penn State was not elegible for a bowl game, so they couldn't play a ranked team in a bowl. ND played several games against teams with lucky to miraculous endings to win. Stanford was a good team. Oklahoma was an overrated team from a bad conference that played a couple horrible games. Michigan was an 8-5 team and again was from a bad division in a down conference and was largely overrated, Alabama was the bowl game and as the whole world saw, they were completely overmatched. Of the opponents they had in common(Navy, Purdue) ND 50-10 over Navy, Penn St. won 34-7. ND 20-17 over Purdue, Penn St. won 34-9.

Penn St played 12-0 Ohio St, maybe the second best team in the country. They also played Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. So Penn State played 3 teams that finished in the AP top 25 poll. Huge difference there. Right Rabbit?

I already stated in another post that Mauti and Penn State had played Alabama in two out of the last three years and faired far better than ND's defense did in both games.

pczach
04-04-2013, 12:57 AM
This.

That offensive line consisted of three future first round picks (Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Cyrus Kouandijo), and a second day pick in Barrett Jones. Running behind them was Eddie Lacy, a projected 1st-2nd round pick. Notre Dame's defensive line was absolutely outmatched.

Yet when Penn State's defense played Alabama's future first round picks twice they didn't get blown off the field.............Hmmmmmm. Interesting points there Rabbit.:blah:

Rabbit
04-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Penn State lost to Alabama by a combined score of 51-14 between 2010 and 2011, if that's what you're referring to. Not really sure if that's something you want to put pride into.

Also I'm not sure when this conversation turned into Notre Dame vs Penn State, but you really seem to be forcing that angle. You called Notre Dame's schedule soft and I provided reasons as to why it wasn't, so in turn you told me that Penn State had a tough schedule. That's completely irrelevant to my post.

pczach
04-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Penn State lost to Alabama by a combined score of 51-14 between 2010 and 2011, if that's what you're referring to. Not really sure if that's something you want to put pride into.

Also I'm not sure when this conversation turned into Notre Dame vs Penn State, but you really seem to be forcing that angle. You called Notre Dame's schedule soft and I provided reasons as to why it wasn't, so in turn you told me that Penn State had a tough schedule. That's completely irrelevant to my post.

We're talking about the defense only, and Mauti versus Te'o specifically. Even more specifically was how each of them played against Alabama's All-World offensive line. You cited Penn State's schedule, not me. This is not a what team was better last year discussion. This thread is about Michael Mauti. I know Notre Dame had a great season last year. They played for the national championship. If you think Mauti isn't worth a draft pick, good for you. All I know is that this is a kid that played at an All-American level more than one year, was rated as a 1st or 2nd round player before the injury, got taken out with a cheap shot hit to his knee with a game to go in the season, and may be had in the 6th or 7th round instead of Mr. Irrelevant. If you can't see value in that, have a nice day.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Ok this basically sums up everything, and I don't know why you two are arguing over it.

Teo and Mauti were very good linebackers in college.

ND and Penn State both had easy schedules to play.

Both players have ? Teo being a problem in the locker room with the recent events that took place and his performance against nfl caliber players. Mauti has injury and durability concerns.

Both good leaders.

Teo rounds 1-2, Mauti rounds 4-7

We don't know how either will do at the next level.

Teo in the second would be good value for the steelers. Mauti in round 6 would be good value for the steelers.

There you go that's it.

Steeldude
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Great. Another injury prone LB with knee problems :thumbsup:

wwhickok
04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Its not just the injury. I don't think Maurice is as talented as.many of the previous PSU Linebackers who have come to the NFL.

pczach
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Its not just the injury. I don't think Maurice is as talented as.many of the previous PSU Linebackers who have come to the NFL.

Who's Maurice? Are you talking about Mike Mauti?

If you think that, you're entitled to your opinion. It's not everyday that a player makes First Team All-American. The same can be said for Te'o.

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 04:58 PM
NFL draft 2013: Former Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti visits the Pittsburgh Steelers

By Dustin Hockensmith | dhockensmith@pennlive.com
on April 03, 2013

Former Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti has been active leading up to the 2013 NFL draft, bouncing around the country for visits with interested teams. He was in Pittsburgh today for a visit with the Steelers, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Mauti continues to make a push to catch on with an NFL team, even as he recovers from a knee injury that cut his senior season short. If healthy, Mauti would be a first or second-round choice, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. said today. But he suffered three serious knee injuries while at Penn State, most recently in November.

"Watching Michael, just a great football player,'' said Kiper, who also said he remembered watching Mauti's father, Rich, play in the NFL.

"I mean, he played like a first (or) second-round guy. The injury, it's a significant injury, it clouds his draft position.''

The Steelers' need for a linebacker could lead them to the hard-nosed Mauti late in the draft. The former Nittany Lion is looking to follow in the footsteps of Sean Lee, who overcame a history of injury to become one of the NFL's best inside linebackers with the Dallas Cowboys.

“I think I would look great in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform,” Mauti told Sportsradio 93.7 The Fan over the weekend. “Why don’t you call them and tell them to come get me?”

If the Steelers' visits are any indication -- seven of the 10 prospects they've hosted are linebackers, according to the Tribune-Review -- underrated linebackers could be a theme on draft day. Of course, Georgia's Jarvis Jones could change that approach if he's available at pick No. 17.

Ohio State's John Simon and Florida State's Vince Williams were among the other mid-to-late round prospects in Pittsburgh for visits. The Steelers are looking to inject youth into an aging linebacking corps that lost James Harrison to free agency.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/nfl_draft_2013_former_penn_sta.html

FrancoLambert
04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
If he's anything like Sean Lee, let's not pass him up.

I'm not going to speculate on value though, haven't seen much of him.

pczach
04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
NFL draft 2013: Former Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti visits the Pittsburgh Steelers

By Dustin Hockensmith | dhockensmith@pennlive.com
on April 03, 2013

Former Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti has been active leading up to the 2013 NFL draft, bouncing around the country for visits with interested teams. He was in Pittsburgh today for a visit with the Steelers, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Mauti continues to make a push to catch on with an NFL team, even as he recovers from a knee injury that cut his senior season short. If healthy, Mauti would be a first or second-round choice, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. said today. But he suffered three serious knee injuries while at Penn State, most recently in November.

"Watching Michael, just a great football player,'' said Kiper, who also said he remembered watching Mauti's father, Rich, play in the NFL.

"I mean, he played like a first (or) second-round guy. The injury, it's a significant injury, it clouds his draft position.''

The Steelers' need for a linebacker could lead them to the hard-nosed Mauti late in the draft. The former Nittany Lion is looking to follow in the footsteps of Sean Lee, who overcame a history of injury to become one of the NFL's best inside linebackers with the Dallas Cowboys.

“I think I would look great in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform,” Mauti told Sportsradio 93.7 The Fan over the weekend. “Why don’t you call them and tell them to come get me?”

If the Steelers' visits are any indication -- seven of the 10 prospects they've hosted are linebackers, according to the Tribune-Review -- underrated linebackers could be a theme on draft day. Of course, Georgia's Jarvis Jones could change that approach if he's available at pick No. 17.

Ohio State's John Simon and Florida State's Vince Williams were among the other mid-to-late round prospects in Pittsburgh for visits. The Steelers are looking to inject youth into an aging linebacking corps that lost James Harrison to free agency.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/nfl_draft_2013_former_penn_sta.html

That's basically what I said but hey....what do I know?:flap:

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 08:22 PM
That's basically what I said but hey....what do I know?:flap:

Mel Kiper's got nothing on you...:hatsoff:

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
IF healthy is always the concern though he'll do us as much good as sean spence if he hurts his knee again..

with our luck and injuries lately not sure we have the wiggle room unless we trade down and get more picks

pczach
04-04-2013, 09:13 PM
IF healthy is always the concern though he'll do us as much good as sean spence if he hurts his knee again..

with our luck and injuries lately not sure we have the wiggle room unless we trade down and get more picks

It's always the concern. There are no guarantees that he will be the same player. However, IF he recovers fully, you will have a potential Pro Bowl caliber linebacker at a 5th-7th round salary for four years. That's where the risk/reward comes in, and I just think you can't miss with this guy. Even if he is no longer an elite backer, he has so many intangibles and is such a great leader and locker room guy, he will always be an asset to any team. He's no prima donna. He'll do special teams or whatever it takes to win and help the team. And I look at that as the worst case scenario. His upside is immense.

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Penn State's Mauti making strides, drawing interest after 3rd ACL tear

April 16, 2013

Penn State linebacker Mike Mauti, recovering from his latest ACL surgery, continues to make strides in his recovery.

He vows to be ready for training camp no matter where he is drafted and, in video supplied by his agent Mike McCarthy, recently was timed running a 40-yard dash in the 4.6 range -- while wearing sneakers -- and his bench-press numbers continue to impress.

Mauti's repeated injuries give teams pause, while his character and dedication continue to win clubs over. Mauti first tore his ACL in 2009, making him a medical resdshirt that year. He suffered a shoulder injury the following season that caused him to miss time. Mauti was poised for a breakout season in 2011, but tore his other (left) ACL and is now recovering from a third ACL tear.

No one discounts Mauti's motor and love for the game, and if not for the repeated injuries he could be someone who would normally be selected on the second day of the draft. He comes from a strong football background -- a father who played in the league and the pedigree of Penn State linebackers over the years.

The Saints and the Steelers hosted Mauti for visits, and his video from his latest workouts should help his cause. He was considered by many to be one of the top 50 prospects in the draft if not for the injury concerns, and he should be in play during the middle rounds as someone teams could project for special teams and spot duty as a rookie before more regular playing time on defense in 2014.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22084152/penn-states-mauti-making-strides-still-drawing-interest-after-3rd-acl-tear-

pczach
04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Penn State's Mauti making strides, drawing interest after 3rd ACL tear

April 16, 2013

Penn State linebacker Mike Mauti, recovering from his latest ACL surgery, continues to make strides in his recovery.

He vows to be ready for training camp no matter where he is drafted and, in video supplied by his agent Mike McCarthy, recently was timed running a 40-yard dash in the 4.6 range -- while wearing sneakers -- and his bench-press numbers continue to impress.

Mauti's repeated injuries give teams pause, while his character and dedication continue to win clubs over. Mauti first tore his ACL in 2009, making him a medical resdshirt that year. He suffered a shoulder injury the following season that caused him to miss time. Mauti was poised for a breakout season in 2011, but tore his other (left) ACL and is now recovering from a third ACL tear.

No one discounts Mauti's motor and love for the game, and if not for the repeated injuries he could be someone who would normally be selected on the second day of the draft. He comes from a strong football background -- a father who played in the league and the pedigree of Penn State linebackers over the years.

The Saints and the Steelers hosted Mauti for visits, and his video from his latest workouts should help his cause. He was considered by many to be one of the top 50 prospects in the draft if not for the injury concerns, and he should be in play during the middle rounds as someone teams could project for special teams and spot duty as a rookie before more regular playing time on defense in 2014.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22084152/penn-states-mauti-making-strides-still-drawing-interest-after-3rd-acl-tear-

BINGO!

6RINGS
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I think the Steelers may pass on the best athlete in every round to get the best athlete with the highest character. I think we are going back to drafting the old Steeler way. No more bling bling self indulged pricks will be coming to Pitt if they can help it. Do not be surprised with their pick at 17...