PDA

View Full Version : Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Hammer67
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Just tried out Madden 07 on the regular X-Box and I must say that I am totally unimpressed. I have been a long time Madden player (Back in the Sega Genesis days!). I loved Super Tecmo Bowl before it.

When I first tried Sega's ESPN 2K series, I was blown away by how refreshing it was and the 2K5 game from two years ago was, and still is, the greatest football game ever made. All EA does with Madden si provide a roster update and some goofy feature like QB passing cones each year. Gameplay on 07 is basically the same that it was on 03. Since the NFL gave EA exclusive rights to Madden, I was depressed. I know EA will just be content with offering up a roster update and charging another $40.

Gripes with Madden07:

- Dialogue is the same as previous years
- Graphics and animations are basically the same
- Gameplay is the same (although you actually have blockers on punt returns now)
- Camera angles and replays are the same?can't we get a better presentation?

Maybe they are taking the if it ain't broke then don't fix it path, but the Sega series seemed so much more innovative with things like the ESPN license and making the games feel like a broadcast. Remember the Chris Berman halftime show??!!

Oh well?time to update the ESPN NFL 2K5 rosters and schedule and begin another season on it!

For those looking to get it, unless you want to play the superstar mode, skip it and use Madden 06 or, better yet, ESPN 2K5 with roster updates and you got the same game.

PisnNapalm
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I just picked up my copy of Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet.

You may be wondering why I got it for the DS? I drive a school bus part time. I often have down time where I sit for 10-20 minutes at a shot. Usually I read a book during that time, but last year I bought a DS for myself. I enjoyed Madden 06 alot on the DS.

Both of my kids have DS's as well.

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I just picked up my copy of Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet.

You may be wondering why I got it for the DS? I drive a school bus part time. I often have down time where I sit for 10-20 minutes at a shot. Usually I read a book during that time, but last year I bought a DS for myself. I enjoyed Madden 06 alot on the DS.

Rock on with the DS Napalm!!!

LOL..my daughter wants one for christmas.....:cool: :cool:

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Just tried out Madden 07 on the regular X-Box and I must say that I am totally unimpressed. I have been a long time Madden player (Back in the Sega Genesis days!). I loved Super Tecmo Bowl before it.

When I first tried Sega's ESPN 2K series, I was blown away by how refreshing it was and the 2K5 game from two years ago was, and still is, the greatest football game ever made. All EA does with Madden si provide a roster update and some goofy feature like QB passing cones each year. Gameplay on 07 is basically the same that it was on 03. Since the NFL gave EA exclusive rights to Madden, I was depressed. I know EA will just be content with offering up a roster update and charging another $40.

Gripes with Madden07:

- Dialogue is the same as previous years
- Graphics and animations are basically the same
- Gameplay is the same (although you actually have blockers on punt returns now)
- Camera angles and replays are the same?can't we get a better presentation?

Maybe they are taking the if it ain't broke then don't fix it path, but the Sega series seemed so much more innovative with things like the ESPN license and making the games feel like a broadcast. Remember the Chris Berman halftime show??!!

Oh well?time to update the ESPN NFL 2K5 rosters and schedule and begin another season on it!

For those looking to get it, unless you want to play the superstar mode, skip it and use Madden 06 or, better yet, ESPN 2K5 with roster updates and you got the same game.

I'm with you on the 2K5 season!!!! It's a real shame though that EA felt preasure from the 2K series so they bought the exclusive rights.

Exclusive Rights = "We can produce crap and everyone will still buy it"

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM

A cool game for the DS is Brain Age. I have one myself and it sure makes the long road trips go by faster :wink:

PisnNapalm
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Our daughter wanted a DS in the worst way for Christmas last year. Santa managed to find the money for it. ;)

I found myself playing the Mario Kart game alot and decided to get one for myself once my wife got her yearly bonus. Her bonus was excellent so we got one for our son as well.

They are alot of fun to play in the car on long trips. The wireless game play is fantastic! Mario Kart never fails to amuse us for atleast an hour in the car.

I did try the "game" Brain Age. I liked the premise behind it but I found it lacking. The voice recognition never worked for me. I wonder if my voice is just too deep for it to pick up well. I dunno. After 2 days of trying to use it, I took it back.

I have several GBA game for it too. (GBA = Game Boy Advance) Dr. Mario is alot of fun. I also have two Street Fighter games.

As for Madden 07... Here are my initial thought on it for the DS.

1. I hate the new kick off procedure. You use the stylus to select the start point and end point of your kick. Then you have to rapidly draw a line between the 2 and hope for the best. I definitely prefer last version kick offs.

2. I selected the Steelers as my favorite team. Now on all of the menu screens there's a shot of a Steeler's player. Troy, Hines, or Wille. I like that.

3. The controls for running with the ball are slightly different. You can't straight arm anymore. :o( Most everything else seems the same or I haven't noticed any changes yet.

4. In Madden 06 the main action took place on the upper screen. In Madden 07 it's on the lower screen. I think I would prefer if they hadn't changed this.

5. In 06 when you went to select a play you had 6 choices on the screen and could scroll up or down for the others. In 07 you get only 3 choices and have to scroll more to get to the others. :o( I don't like this.

6. The character models and graphics seem to be about the same as Madden 06. I don't know if it's possible to make them any better.

7. The commentary seems very bland and no different from last year. I wasn't impressed with it last year either so ... Atleast it's not worse IMO.

8. It has Hines Ward doing kick off returns??!! WTF? I'm gonna change that I think.

I'll post more after I play for a few days. These were just my initial thoughts.

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I bought it for PS2. No Willie Reid on the roster?

With the exception of the team/player ratings, I have no complaints.

Stillers#1
08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I bought it for the 360 today. I am still learning the new buttons and everything, but I really like the way they set up the run game, with the different jukes and everything. Like I sadi, I am still learning, but I think this has great potential if I ever get good at it.

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I was actually gonna buy this and commandeer my daughters xbox....LOL

Never had a Madden game before....maybe I'll do it

83-Steelers-43
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Go for it BNG203. Once you start you won't be able to stop. I'm not a big video game person, but I love messing around with Madden. My advice, have a couple or ten beers while playing. :bouncy:

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Go for it BNG203. Once you start you won't be able to stop. I'm not a big video game person, but I love messing around with Madden. My advice, have a couple or ten beers while playing. :bouncy:

I'll be leaning towards the 10 buddy.....:bouncy: :bouncy:

Hines86Ward
08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
They need to get all the players pictures on Madden updated. It's kinda sad that Keenan McCardell has been on the Chargers for 2 years, this season being his 3rd, & his picture still has him in his Tampa Bay jersey....Some guys don't even have a picture, like Nate Washington for example....They need to update the pictures every year

BlackNGold203
08-23-2006, 12:50 PM
This is all kind of surprising to me....I always thought EA was top notch....

Hammer67
08-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Madden is your only choice with the new NFL exclusive agreement with EA so if you are jonsing then grab it. My distaste for it comes from them feeling content to jsut release a roster update and a few minor tweaks. It is still basically the same presentation that it has been for the last 3 to 4 years.

Petesburgh66
08-23-2006, 08:13 PM

Check the free agent WRs. He is in there for some dumb reason.

Overall. The 2007 version is a major let down. Some of the written graphics look like they were taken from the 1995 version. They could have taken another picture of Ryan Clark instead of him with the Giants blue from a few years ago. This is just plain lazy by EA. At least Santonio has a profile picture.

lilyoder6
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM

the reason they don't have willie reid cuz we didn't sign him for a whilke and then the rosters were set.. just like ty law and micheal robinson aren't on there teams they took too long to sign and the game couldn't put them on the roster if they are not signed.. i like the game very much

83-Steelers-43
08-25-2006, 07:39 AM
the reason they don't have willie reid cuz we didn't sign him for a whilke and then the rosters were set.. just like ty law and micheal robinson aren't on there teams they took too long to sign and the game couldn't put them on the roster if they are not signed.. i like the game very much

Yeah, I just realized that Reid is on the FA list.

Petesburgh66
08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
the reason they don't have willie reid cuz we didn't sign him for a whilke and then the rosters were set..

Based on that logic, Holmes should have been on the free agent list as well as he was the last Steeler pick to get signed. It was just a numbers game with Reid until the final rosters are set.

Hammer67
09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Based on that logic, Holmes should have been on the free agent list as well as he was the last Steeler pick to get signed. It was just a numbers game with Reid until the final rosters are set.

I believe the first rounders always make the team in Madden...they hold off on the rest if not signed...

Petesburgh66
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I believe the first rounders always make the team in Madden...they hold off on the rest if not signed...

Your are right. 1st rounders are expected to be in the lineup.

On a side note, is it me or does the pass coverage in this years version blow. Bascially there is no D in this years game. I have played a handful of online games and they all have been shootouts. 48 to 40 type scores. My guys are getting burned on long plays, even with Dime coverages. This kind of sucks as I like to blitz 80% of the time with at least one guy.

On the flip side, I have been averaging at least 400 passing yards per game (5 minute quarters). I love the new feature to change the primary target to another guy, especially if I see a corner sneaking in for a blitz.

Hammer67
09-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Your are right. 1st rounders are expected to be in the lineup.

On a side note, is it me or does the pass coverage in this years version blow. Bascially there is no D in this years game. I have played a handful of online games and they all have been shootouts. 48 to 40 type scores. My guys are getting burned on long plays, even with Dime coverages. This kind of sucks as I like to blitz 80% of the time with at least one guy.

On the flip side, I have been averaging at least 400 passing yards per game (5 minute quarters). I love the new feature to change the primary target to another guy, especially if I see a corner sneaking in for a blitz.

Us the AI difficulty sliders to adjust....you can get the game close to the style of play you like. Try turning up defensive awareness, and knockdowns.