PDA

View Full Version : What is the furtherest you'd want to see the Steelers Trade down?

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 09:42 AM
lets say Jones, Patterson, Austin, Vaccaro are off the board.

*** there is a good chance this DOES NOT happen but for the sake of some fun and killing time at work.
** Nobody was harmed in the making of this mock, so no need to get your panties in a bunch

Trade Pick 17 to the 49ers (950)
for Pick 31, and pick 61 and pick 128 (936 total)

so we have

Round 1 Pick 31 (trade) Matt "Teegree" Elam Safety Florida
Round 2 Pick 48 Zach Ertz TE Stanford
Round 2 Pick 61 (trade) Da' Rick Rogers WRTennessee Tech
Round 3 Pick 79 David Amerson Cornerback NC State
Round 4 Pick 115 Barret Jones Guard/Center/Tackle Alabama
Round 4 Pick 128 (trade) Joseph Randle RB OK State
Round 5 Pick 150 William Gholston DE/LB Michigan State
Round 6 Pick 186 Michael "Pczach" Mauti LB Penn State
Round 6 Pick 206 (comp) Khaled Holmes Oline USC
Round 7 Pick 223 Denard Robinson WR/RB Michigan

Terminator
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Why would we take a safety in the 1st round?

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM

well, if you want Elam, which is who the OP has picked as the #1 pick, you would have to grab him by that point.

JackH
04-05-2013, 10:31 AM

How many more seasons are Troy and Ryan Clark going to play?

Are their contracts going to be a problem in the near future?

Is Troy injury prone?

In my opinion, safety is the most critical need, next to offensive playmakers. Ebsteelers addressed those offensive needs in his mock draft quite well, I thought.

JackH
04-05-2013, 10:35 AM

*** there is a good chance this DOES NOT happen but for the sake of some fun and killing time at work.
** Nobody was harmed in the making of this mock, so no need to get your panties in a bunch

so we have

Excellent draft. One suggestion - take a punter like that guy from LSU (can't recall his name at the moment) with Round 6 Pick 206. He's an upgrade over Drew Butler. You have OL in Barrett Jones. You don't need Holmes.

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm one of the few that if the right prospect is there, I'd like to trade up. If someone like Dion Jordan slips past 10, I'd like for us to trade up with someone like the 'Fins to grab him. I'm also not keen on trading back because quality > quantity. I realize this draft is deep but the trade back would have to be something we couldn't pass up. Something like the 49ers 31 and 34th overall picks for our 17th.

I also wouldn't trade back if someone like Mingo is on the board at 17.

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Excellent draft. One suggestion - take a punter like that guy from LSU (can't recall his name at the moment) with Round 6 Pick 206. He's an upgrade over Drew Butler. You have OL in Barrett Jones. You don't need Holmes.

My reason for adding Holmes as well would be you can never have enough quality linemen especially with our recent problems with olinemen staying healthy.

Between pouncey, decastro, adams, gilbert all missing time we need some depth there but I see your point with grabbing a punter.

Edit: his name is not drew allen, who the heck is drew allen???

its Brad Wing

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm one of the few that if the right prospect is there, I'd like to trade up. If someone like Dion Jordan slips past 10, I'd like for us to trade up with someone like the 'Fins to grab him. I'm also not keen on trading back because quality > quantity. I realize this draft is deep but the trade back would have to be something we couldn't pass up. Something like the 49ers 31 and 34th overall picks for our 17th.

I also wouldn't trade back if someone like Mingo is on the board at 17.

I agree if a Jordan fell it might be worth a look.. Just not sure Jordan is going to drop pass the Jets and dont want to give up a ransom for one guy.

My concern is are team is getting older, and we have had injury problems, were adding young guys on the cheap could help.
I think unlike previous years were not just a Dion Jordan away from being champs. we have problems at safety, olb, rb, wr, te etc.

End of the day I have faith in our front office and if a Jordan drops and we dont have to give up too much to move up than rock on.
(Canada, you have to admit you gotta be a bit excited if the draft worked out that way)

To your trade down idea, if that was a scenario where we get 31 and 34,
I'd love a Elam and Lacy combo over just a Dion Jordan or Patterson type deal

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 11:06 AM
well, if you want Elam, which is who the OP has picked as the #1 pick, you would have to grab him by that point.

Exactly, another scenario could be if Eifert fell to 31, take Eifert then and Swearinger at 48. but you might be sweating bullets hoping Swearinger gets to you at 48

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Exactly, another scenario could be if Eifert fell to 31, take Eifert then and Swearinger at 48. but you might be sweating bullets hoping Swearinger gets to you at 48

good point. Safety might be too important to take a chance on in later rounds

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
good point. Safety might be too important to take a chance on in later rounds

agreed if i thought we had a few years left of troy and clark than maybe you can take a flyer on rambo in the 3rd or someone else in the 4th. kind of like golden as udfa last year but at this stage of Troy and Ryans along with Ike being up there can we afford to have a 7th round pick starting at safety?

maybe the coaches think will have troy or ryan for longer but I am not sure they do

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
I agree if a Jordan fell it might be worth a look.. Just not sure Jordan is going to drop pass the Jets and dont want to give up a ransom for one guy.

My concern is are team is getting older, and we have had injury problems, were adding young guys on the cheap could help.
I think unlike previous years were not just a Dion Jordan away from being champs. we have problems at safety, olb, rb, wr, te etc.

End of the day I have faith in our front office and if a Jordan drops and we dont have to give up too much to move up than rock on.
(Canada, you have to admit you gotta be a bit excited if the draft worked out that way)

To your trade down idea, if that was a scenario where we get 31 and 34,
I'd love a Elam and Lacy combo over just a Dion Jordan or Patterson type deal

If Jordan falls past the Jets, we have to trade up at that point. It wouldn't cost a whole lot for us to trade up with the 'Fins, either. It'd cost us a fourth in this year and maybe a third next year to move up 5 spots which is something I'd be all for to get someone like Jordan.

We do have depth issues but, again, trading down and picking up extra fourth and fifth round prospects isn't the answer either. If a team was willing to trade their second / third round pick to us to move up then we should take a look, but the depth in this draft, particularly at Safety and Running Back drops off significantly after the first 6 - 7 guys go. We're not going to find our franchise Safety in the fifth round.

If we got Dion Jordan I'd be happier than Teegre if we got Elam, if that's even possible.

Steel_Bus_24
04-05-2013, 11:47 AM
If all those guys go before 17 then theres a good chance Cooper might still be on the board....in which case I want them staying put

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
If all those guys go before 17 then theres a good chance Cooper might still be on the board....in which case I want them staying put

I don't know where Cooper would fit on the line. We just signed Ramon Foster and DeCastro is a better prospect than him anyway. There's not another Center in the NFL I'd take over Pouncey, and Cooper isn't a Tackle (which we don't need regardless). At this point, offensive line is one of, if not the most solid unit we have on this team right now.

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't know where Cooper would fit on the line. We just signed Ramon Foster and DeCastro is a better prospect than him anyway. There's not another Center in the NFL I'd take over Pouncey, and Cooper isn't a Tackle (which we don't need regardless). At this point, offensive line is one of, if not the most solid unit we have on this team right now.

I tend to agree with what you're saying, but if one of the major problems last year was the OL injuries, we could always use another quality player on the line.

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
If Jordan falls past the Jets, we have to trade up at that point. It wouldn't cost a whole lot for us to trade up with the 'Fins, either. It'd cost us a fourth in this year and maybe a third next year to move up 5 spots which is something I'd be all for to get someone like Jordan.

We do have depth issues but, again, trading down and picking up extra fourth and fifth round prospects isn't the answer either. If a team was willing to trade their second / third round pick to us to move up then we should take a look, but the depth in this draft, particularly at Safety and Running Back drops off significantly after the first 6 - 7 guys go. We're not going to find our franchise Safety in the fifth round.

If we got Dion Jordan I'd be happier than Teegre if we got Elam, if that's even possible.

hahahaha nope not possible

and to the rest of it, I see what your saying but I guess I just dont see any realistic shot of him falling down that far but hey its the draft so ya never know

teegre
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
To answer the OP/title of this thread:
As far back as I could, while STILL getting Matteegre Elam.

So, basically, what ebsteelers posted (I love the Jones pick!!!... and I'd swap Leon McFadden for Amerson, but I'd take that draft.)

Steel_Bus_24
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I have serious doubts Double-D stays past his rookie deal.

If anything I think Cooper is being graded higher then Double-D

And if Cooper doesn't seriously get hurt....Id rather pay the guy who has one less significant knee injury

Foster is serviceable, much much more reliable then Legursky, but he's not on Cooper,Pouncey,DD's level

The Big 3 of Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro would be a powerful battering ram while we had it

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I have serious doubts Double-D stays past his rookie deal.If anything I think Cooper is being graded higher then Double-D

And if Cooper doesn't seriously get hurt....Id rather pay the guy who has one less significant knee injury

Foster is serviceable, much much more reliable then Legursky, but he's not on Cooper,Pouncey,DD's level

The Big 3 of Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro would be a powerful battering ram while we had it

any reason for that?

I thought Decastro was the best guard prosepct the last decade, is what was said last year.

It just difficult to justify taking another o linemen a with a top pick.

that would be 5 o linemen in the first 2 rounds since we took pouncey. thats a little much for my taste

and if we were to draft another guard... we better run for 5000 yards next year, shatter every rushing record known to man, and ben better never be touched

sloppyjoe
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
almost evry year people cry about having to draft at the end of round one and all the 'impact' players are gone by then, not we get to pick in the middle and most want to trade down for more picks?

bornaSteelersfan
04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
almost evry year people cry about having to draft at the end of round one and all the 'impact' players are gone by then, not we get to pick in the middle and most want to trade down for more picks?

:iagree:

I will be surprised if we trade down. I would NOT be surprised if we trade up. I have a very good feeling that some teams ahead of us will trade down. Then the big board will change and someone the Steelers really want will fall to 17.

JackH
04-05-2013, 12:49 PM

I will be surprised if we trade down. I would NOT be surprised if we trade up. I have a very good feeling that some teams ahead of us will trade down. Then the big board will change and someone the Steelers really want will fall to 17.

Personally, I would be shocked if the Steelers traded up. The Steelers need more players not less in this draft. There is a lot of value in the middle rounds this year. Next year the Steelers will have at least 3 more picks. That's when to trade up.

What I think will happen is that one of those teams who pick in the top 10 and who want Geno Smith won't take him with their first pick, but they will trade up back into the first round to get him.

So this is the draft we'll see how smart Kevin Colbert is. The 49ers will be trading up because they have too many picks. So will other teams to get the QB or somebody else.

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Personally, I would be shocked if the Steelers traded up. The Steelers need more players not less in this draft. There is a lot of value in the middle rounds this year. Next year the Steelers will have at least 3 more picks. That's when to trade up.

What I think will happen is that one of those teams who pick in the top 10 and who want Geno Smith won't take him with their first pick, but they will trade up back into the first round to get him.

So this is the draft we'll see how smart Kevin Colbert is. The 49ers will be trading up because they have too many picks. So will other teams to get the QB or somebody else.

I agree. I don't expect them to trade up or down, but it's interesting to think of what they could do. Every year's different.

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

This is only my opinion and every draft is different, a draft with more depth would be a good time to trade up, a draft like this year that has lots of depth but no fire power it might be a good idea to trade back, that is part of what makes the draft so much fun.

I think teams thats dont want to trade up or down, or stay put are the ones who are risk to continue to stink or hit a downfall. Adapting is key in this league and the draft this year is no different

Prime example is this year compared to last years draft.
Last years top 5 was stacked, and the redskins had to give up a lot to get in to the 2 slot. 3 number 1 picks and a 2nd rounder..

Now this year there is no one (in my opinion) worth giving up a kings ransom for to move into that top 5 area

Every draft is different but thats what makes this fun as a fan

Steel_Bus_24
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
any reason for that?

I thought Decastro was the best guard prosepct the last decade, is what was said last year.

It just difficult to justify taking another o linemen a with a top pick.

that would be 5 o linemen in the first 2 rounds since we took pouncey. thats a little much for my taste

and if we were to draft another guard... we better run for 5000 yards next year, shatter every rushing record known to man, and ben better never be touched

Dude loves the west coast....seemed genuinely hurt that he didn't get selected by the seahawks. I could easily see him going to the Seahawks...or 49ers...anyone of those NFC West teams really....hell you know ol Bruce would love to keep sucking away the Steelers developed talent for Pittsburgh West

And he admitted to whining about SB 40:flap:

JackH
04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Dude loves the west coast....seemed genuinely hurt that he didn't get selected by the seahawks. I could easily see him going to the Seahawks...or 49ers...anyone of those NFC West teams really....hell you know ol Bruce would love to keep sucking away the Steelers developed talent for Pittsburgh West

And he admitted to whining about SB 40:flap:

I'm a lot more concerned about how the Steelers are going to score some touchdowns this season as opposed to what DeCastro is going to do several years from now.

Steel_Bus_24
04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm a lot more concerned about how the Steelers are going to score some touchdowns this season as opposed to what DeCastro is going to do several years from now.

I think there are some great 2 through 4 round Wrs that can come in an help. This is one of the deepest Wr draft classed in a while. Im confident we can find a good contributor there

pczach
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM

so we have

Did I win you over with my compelling arguments and sheer force of will, or are you tired of listening to me and just want me to shut up?:sofunny:

pczach
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Did I win you over with my compelling arguments and sheer force of will, or are you tired of listening to me and just want me to shut up?:sofunny:

That's actually a pretty damn good draft right there!

To those of you who ask why we might take a guy like Cooper... He can play guard and center. He's a very good talent with elite movement skills for his position and size. Not many guys can get to the next level to block like this guy can. He would be very valuable because he plays multiple positions very well.

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM

hahaha my concern as I addressed in the other thread is his knees I have never had a problem with us drafting him if its later ala round 6 or so..

But the added advantage in my scenario with the trade down and picking up additional picks is we have more room for error if he is not fully healthy or takes longer to get back on the field. with additional picks also have the advantage of taking the risker high reward guys like (mauti, or mathieu from lsu etc). but only with addtional picks.

just look what happen last year with rainey and ta'mau

I just hope for your sake he ends up either on the Steelers or somewhere not in the AFC North or new england

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 03:29 PM
That's actually a pretty damn good draft right there!
To those of you who ask why we might take a guy like Cooper... He can play guard and center. He's a very good talent with elite movement skills for his position and size. Not many guys can get to the next level to block like this guy can. He would be very valuable because he plays multiple positions very well.

Thanks. I think it addresses all our needs but gives us value and depth without reaching but also could have some star potential

pczach
04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
hahaha my concern as I addressed in the other thread is his knees I have never had a problem with us drafting him if its later ala round 6 or so..

But the added advantage in my scenario with the trade down and picking up additional picks is we have more room for error if he is not fully healthy or takes longer to get back on the field. with additional picks also have the advantage of taking the risker high reward guys like (mauti, or mathieu from lsu etc). but only with addtional picks.

just look what happen last year with rainey and ta'mau

I just hope for your sake he ends up either on the Steelers or somewhere not in the AFC North or new england

If the Ravens draft him and he becomes a star, I might just implode. My worst nightmare becoming reality......It's too horrible to even think about.:shake01:

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
If the Ravens draft him and he becomes a star, I might just implode. My worst nightmare becoming reality......It's too horrible to even think about.:shake01:

haha how about growing up watching Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed and McGahee at the U OF M....ahh I think i just threw up in my mouth...bad memories

pczach
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM
haha how about growing up watching Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed and McGahee at the U OF M....ahh I think i just threw up in my mouth...bad memories

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes shit just happens...:bricks:

casteeler
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
The Steelers will do something shocking in the draft this year, you'd better believe the Rooneys have told Colbert and Tomlin that they have to vastly improve over what has happened the last four years or they might be working at the Sideline store at Heinz. :wink02:

FrancoLambert
04-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Stand pat in the first and second rounds and and take the BPA.

After that we can get creative if the deal is right.

JackH
04-05-2013, 06:13 PM

so we have

I have a few more comments on your draft.

Ertz is a higher rated pro prospect (as per NFL.com and others) than his former teammate at Stanford, Coby Fleener. Fleener was the first tight end taken in last year's draft, first pick of the 2nd round to the Colts.

Ertz is more of a Heath Miller type than Tyler Eifert, who is faster, can be split out like he did at Notre Dame frequently, and is a vertical threat. That's why I like Eifert with the Steelers first pick, but if the Steelers don't take Eifert, Ertz is a great pick in the 2nd round, particularly in combination with a WR in the 3rd round.

Mauti has great upside if he can stay healthy, but that issue has been beat like a dead horse in this forum.

sloppyjoe
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM

seems as tho that's tyhe excuse the stelers faithful have when it comes to our first round picks never seeing the field. 'they are actually early second rounders, so they need time to develop'.
im tired of our guys sitting the bench because they were drafted 'out of the top 15'. time to draft a stud and play him from day one. if he isnt playing from the beginning, someone screwed up the pick this year

casteeler
04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
seems as tho that's tyhe excuse the stelers faithful have when it comes to our first round picks never seeing the field. 'they are actually early second rounders, so they need time to develop'.
im tired of our guys sitting the bench because they were drafted 'out of the top 15'. time to draft a stud and play him from day one. if he isnt playing from the beginning, someone screwed up the pick this year

The Steelers HAVE to play their early draft picks week 1, barring the Steelers picking up Bradshaw they have NO feature RB,one decent TE and zero pass rush.

STEELMANIAK
04-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but the Steelers WILL NOT trade down. Every year everyone talks about us trading down but we never actually do. Colbert is not Belicheck.

Now, don't get me wrong... I wish we would move back a few spots and stock pile some mid round picks. Fact is, we just don't do it.

FanSince72
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
The Steelers will do something shocking in the draft this year, you'd better believe the Rooneys have told Colbert and Tomlin that they have to vastly improve over what has happened the last four years or they might be working at the Sideline store at Heinz. :wink02:

Yeah I can hear it now...

"Ladies and Gentlemen...please welcome 'Joe the Rag Man!"

Millers the sh!t
04-09-2013, 06:56 AM
I don't watch college so I don't know squat about anyone who's out there. But the common believe is this year's draft is deep. So I'd say trade down and collect a few picks. Next year use those picks or our normal picks to trade up if worthy if not then trade down again... Keep rolling over... Plus well be getting a few comp picks on top of it. I'm sure within the next few years well find a couple 2nd 3rd round worthy starters or late round hidden gems and when we have a competitive team with a few glaring holes cash in as necassarry and complete our team.