PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Remake

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Has anyone else seen this yet? If so, what did you guys think about it?

I saw it last night and I didn't think it was very good. I liked that the gore wasn't all CGI but I don't know, something was off for me about it. I didn't think it was at all scary. I also haven't seen the original and didn't know it was a remake until after I saw it. So, take that into account.

SteelCityMom
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Has anyone else seen this yet? If so, what did you guys think about it?

I saw it last night and I didn't think it was very good. I liked that the gore wasn't all CGI but I don't know, something was off for me about it. I didn't think it was at all scary. I also haven't seen the original and didn't know it was a remake until after I saw it. So, take that into account.

Well...you're first order of business now is to go watch the Evil Dead trilogy in its entirety. It's cheesy as hell, but definite must see classics.

Here...go now. http://www.hulu.com/watch/473124

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I also haven't seen the original and didn't know it was a remake until after I saw it. So, take that into account.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! :yikes: :surprise: :jawdrop:

The original is probably one of the ten most influential horror movies of all-time. Evil Dead 2 was better than the original, mostly because the budget was much higher due to the success of the first. Army of Darkness was the third movie in the series. All starred the great Bruce Campbell as Ash. You must see them, but keep in mind that the original was filmed in the 80s on a low budget.

I'm going to see the remake as soon as my friend gets out of the hospital for his birthday. I can't wait because it's made by the original filmmakers. If it wasn't, I'd probably balk at going to the theater and paying those prices to see it.

Vis
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Army of Darkness is the best

MACH1
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.demotivationalposters.net/image/demotivational-poster/0910/paranoia-october-challange-bruce-campbell-evil-dead-army-of-demotivational-poster-1256131803.jpg

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.badhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ASH-bruce-campbell-7812182-461-369.jpg

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Here...go now. http://www.hulu.com/watch/473124

We don't get Hulu in Canada. :(

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! :yikes: :surprise: :jawdrop:

The original is probably one of the ten most influential horror movies of all-time. Evil Dead 2 was better than the original, mostly because the budget was much higher due to the success of the first. Army of Darkness was the third movie in the series. All starred the great Bruce Campbell as Ash. You must see them, but keep in mind that the original was filmed in the 80s on a low budget.

I'm going to see the remake as soon as my friend gets out of the hospital for his birthday. I can't wait because it's made by the original filmmakers. If it wasn't, I'd probably balk at going to the theater and paying those prices to see it.

I was -11 when the original Evil Dead came out. I hope that gives me a pass! :hug:

I've heard that it was pretty good though, I'll have to check them out. I won't judge them too harshly on the special effects, they have to be better than 99% of recent horror movies.

I hope your friend is ok too!

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

I was -11 when the original Evil Dead came out. I hope that gives me a pass! :hug:

I've heard that it was pretty good though, I'll have to check them out. I won't judge them too harshly on the special effects, they have to be better than 99% of recent horror movies.

I hope your friend is ok too!

Thanks for the well-wishes for my friend. He's only getting shoulder surgery, but he has a rare heart birth defect that has plagued him with serious issues his whole life. Any type of surgery is touchy for him and he's already far exceeded his life expectancy. I expect he'll be fine as he had hip replacement surgery last year and everything went well, but he did almost die a couple of years ago.

I'll give you a pass considering your youth.... but only if you rush out and watch these movies ASAP and report back with a full term paper and review on them right away. There are no excuses now! :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Here's a taste from Evil Dead II. My favorite scene in the whole movie.

7EWY7OYUcB0

SteelCityMom
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Commie bastards!! :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GN1_LMozg

GIVE ME BACK MA HAAA AA AHH AAAANNDD!!!

4:17 :sofunny:

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
GIVE ME BACK MA HAAA AA AHH AAAANNDD!!!

The best quote out of all of the movies is still "Gimme some sugar, baby." :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
The best quote out of all of the movies is still "Gimme some sugar, baby." :chuckle:

I'd go as far to say it's one of the best movie quotes ever lol. That and "This is my boom stick!"

But yeah, the remake...I'll eventually get around to it lol.

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 03:25 PM
But yeah, the remake...I'll eventually get around to it lol.

Sounds like some serious procrastibation going on. Go easy on the bean. :heh:

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 04:15 PM
don't forget

"Dead by dawn!"

"Honey, you got real ugly"

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I really wanna see this movie now.

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
You also have:

From "Evil Dead II":

"Groovy!"

"Hey! I'll swallow your soul! Swallow your soul! Swallow your soul!"

From "Army of Darkness":

"You ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and sh*t, and Jack left town."

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"

"Ooh, wait a minute. The words. All right, all right, all right. Say the words. Klaatu...barada...Iu necktie. Nectar, n - nickel. Noodle. It's an 'N' word. It's definitely an 'N' word."

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Oh, something else I forgot to tell you is that I understand that the new remake is a straight horror movie. The original trilogy is a comedy/horror combo. A lot of great campy humor in them.

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh, something else I forgot to tell you is that I understand that the new remake is a straight horror movie. The original trilogy is a comedy/horror combo. A lot of great campy humor in them.

Maaaaan, if they were going for straight horror it didn't come off. I like those kind movies though - horroromedies? That's a word, right?

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Maaaaan, if they were going for straight horror it didn't come off. I like those kind movies though - horroromedies? That's a word, right?

"Horroromedies"? Can't say I've ever heard that one. :chuckle:

I'm sure there was still humor in the new one considering Sam Raimi was involved, but the older ones, mostly II and Army, were chock full of campy, goofy humor led by Bruce Campbell. That will be the weirdest part for me.... not seeing Bruce return as Ash. He MADE those films.

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 05:03 PM

i guess it all depends on what you like. When I first saw these movies I was between 7-11 and me and my brothers would stay up on weekends and watch horror or comedies. So for me this type of movie is always something I'll enjoy. It's not some people's cup of meat.

SteelersCanada
04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
"Horroromedies"? Can't say I've ever heard that one. :chuckle:

I'm sure there was still humor in the new one considering Sam Raimi was involved, but the older ones, mostly II and Army, were chock full of campy, goofy humor led by Bruce Campbell. That will be the weirdest part for me.... not seeing Bruce return as Ash. He MADE those films.

Well it's a word now! That or corrors? I think horroromedies is better.

There was comedy but it was more of a shaking head, tongue in cheek kind of comedy.

i guess it all depends on what you like. When I first saw these movies I was between 7-11 and me and my brothers would stay up on weekends and watch horror or comedies. So for me this type of movie is always something I'll enjoy. It's not some people's cup of meat.

I like those kind of movies which should bode well for me apparently.

I actually laughed out loud at cup of meat. Well done. :drink:

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 08:35 PM
i like the sound of horroromedies!

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I actually laughed out loud at cup of meat. Well done. :drink:

Thanks! I stole that one from Bob Dylan, it seemed appropriate.

jacobo
04-06-2013, 07:02 PM
can't fucking wait to see this. The originals are some of my favorite horror movies ever. I'm usually not a big fan of gore, but this looks too good to pass up on. Getting a bunch of acclaim too

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
can't fucking wait to see this. The originals are some of my favorite horror movies ever. I'm usually not a big fan of gore, but this looks too good to pass up on. Getting a bunch of acclaim too

i'm not a huge fan of gore for the sake of it either. But when it's done well it works, especially when it's so over the top.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Me too, except I love gore. The more the better as long as it's done well. The Evil Dead movies (with the exception of Army) were some of the most over-the-top gorefests in horror at the time and have stood the test of said time. Absolute horror classics up there with Halloween, The Exorcist, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IMHO.

fer522
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM

That quote has worked for me many times :wink02:

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Me too, except I love gore. The more the better as long as it's done well. The Evil Dead movies (with the exception of Army) were some of the most over-the-top gorefests in horror at the time and have stood the test of said time. Absolute horror classics up there with Halloween, The Exorcist, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IMHO.

If you love gore, you're going to love the new one. Holy shit is there a lot of gore. The upside is it's not like Saw where it's CGI bullshit gore.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
If you love gore, you're going to love the new one. Holy shit is there a lot of gore. The upside is it's not like Saw where it's CGI bullshit gore.

I hate that CGI stuff, it might as well be a cartoon at that point.

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I hate that CGI stuff, it might as well be a cartoon at that point.

Absolutely with you. I guess that's what I liked most about the new Evil Dead were the effects. The blood doesn't look all that real, but it's a huge step up over that CGI stuff.

The gore is absolutely over the top. It's over the top in like a silly, goofy kind of way though.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Absolutely with you. I guess that's what I liked most about the new Evil Dead were the effects. The blood doesn't look all that real, but it's a huge step up over that CGI stuff.

The gore is absolutely over the top. It's over the top in like a silly, goofy kind of way though.

And that exactly what an Evil Dead movie should be. The original used different colored blood in it and was extremely gory... cartoonishly so. You're only making me want to see it more. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:02 PM
cartoonish in a good way!

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
cartoonish in a good way!

I'd think you and Budda would love this movie from what I've seen you guys post. Nevermind what I said previously, the best part of this movie is what it isn't: a possession movie by some kind of ghoul and/or demon or Paranormal Activity 17, or whatever that franchise is at now.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to think of other movies that match the Evil Dead movies in gore, can't come up with many. Dead Alive, Demons, the earlier Hellraiser movies. Can't come up with many. I'm sure there are more.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I'd think you and Budda would love this movie from what I've seen you guys post. Nevermind what I said previously, the best part of this movie is what it isn't: a possession movie by some kind of ghoul and/or demon or Paranormal Activity 17, or whatever that franchise is at now.

I'm going to have to check it out, thanks for posting about it!

SteelCityMom
04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to think of other movies that match the Evil Dead movies in gore, can't come up with many. Dead Alive, Demons, the earlier Hellraiser movies. Can't come up with many. I'm sure there are more.

Zombi, Return of the Living Dead, CHUD, Re-Animator, Toxic Avenger, Tokyo Gore Police, City of the Living Dead (let's face it, anything from Fulci), Tenebre.

I like cheesy gore.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 10:32 PM

High Tension, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, Day of the Dead, Zombi, The Prowler, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Thing, and Bad Taste come to mind for me.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:51 PM
wow it's been years since I've seen CHUD. Bride of Re-Animator is one I've had sitting on the shelf for a while, it's about time I watched it. Thanks for all the ideas!

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM

The lawnmower finale in Dead Alive is worth the price of admission alone. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:57 PM
The lawnmower finale in Dead Alive is worth the price of admission alone. :chuckle:

that movie has always been a favorite! Honestly if anybody asked me what scene in movies is the goriest and funniest, that would jump to mind. I absolutely love it!

I kick ass for the Lord!

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
that movie has always been a favorite! Honestly if anybody asked me what scene in movies is the goriest and funniest, that would jump to mind. I absolutely love it!

I kick ass for the Lord!

The soup scene is pretty disgusting. Not over-the-top gore, but sickening as all hell. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
The soup scene is pretty disgusting. Not over-the-top gore, but sickening as all hell. :chuckle:

oh yeah, eating the soup after the puss drips squirts into it. YUK!!!

teegre
04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
One word: GROOVY!!!

The night before a backpacking trip, my friends & I watched "Evil Dead"... and when Ash starts up the chainsaw & declares, "Groovy"... well our lives changed forever.

During the entire three-day backpacking trip, my friends & I must have said "Groovy" no less than 4,000 times. No embellishment: we said it over & over & over... at times, akin to the restaurant scene in "Being John Malkovich" (Malkovich, Malkovich? Malkovich, Malkovich. Malkovich) or the "dude" scene in "Baseketball" (Dude. Dude!!! Dude? Dude... Dude??? Dude.):

Groovy? Groovy, Groovy. Groooovy. Groovy, groovy, groovy??? Groovy!!!

The parents were not pleased... at first. But, eventually, they couldn't resist the power of "Groovy"... and thus, they soon joined in.

"Groovy" was the mantra for my friends & I for about a decade.

Buddha Bus
04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
One word: GROOVY!!!

The night before a backpacking trip, my friends & I watched "Evil Dead"... and when Ash starts up the chainsaw & declares, "Groovy"... well our lives changed forever.

During the entire three-day backpacking trip, my friends & I must have said "Groovy" no less than 4,000 times. No embellishment: we said it over & over & over... at times, akin to the restaurant scene in "Being John Malkovich" (Malkovich, Malkovich? Malkovich, Malkovich. Ah... Malkovich) or the "dude" scene in "Baseketball" (Dude. Dude!!! Dude? Dude... Dude??? Dude.)...

Groovy? Groovy, Groovy. Groooovy. Groovy, groovy, groovy??? Groovy!!!

The parents were not pleased... at first. But, eventually, they couldn't resist the power of "Groovy"... and thus, they soon joined it.

"Groovy" was the mantra for my friends & I for about a decade.

I still use it and "gimme some sugar, baby" to this day! My wife loves it. :chuckle:

P.S.- We need your name vote in the social group, Teeg.

teegre
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
I still use it and "gimme some sugar, baby" to this day! My wife loves it. :chuckle:

P.S.- We need your name vote in the social group, Teeg.

Than line does indeed come in handy.

Will do. Heading there... now.

Buddha Bus
04-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Than line does indeed come in handy.

Will do. Heading there... now.

And by "loves it", I mean she gives me a hearty eye roll. :chuckle:

teegre
04-07-2013, 10:40 AM
And by "loves it", I mean she gives me a hearty eye roll. :chuckle:

Yes, that is generally the response one garners. :wink02:

Buddha Bus
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
So, I went to see Evil Dead yesterday and I've thought long and hard about it. I guess it was pretty good as horror movies go (especially remakes), but I left feeling a little empty. It just didn't quite capture the mood and all-around feel of the original movies. It definitely had over-the-top gore and was done fairly well, but the absence of Ash (Bruce Campbell) and the schticky comedy left me wanting more. It just wasn't as fun as the originals. Of course, I'm an old, jaded asshole who rarely gets blown away or shocked by horror movies anymore. :chuckle:

The acting was solid and the effects were well done as they steered clear of the lame-ass CGI stuff and went with more traditional effects. There were plenty of nods/homages to the originals as well which made me happy. The cabin looked identical to the original and many scenes were obviously inspired by the first 2 movies with new twists to them. Ash's old beater car even made an appearance!

Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Maybe that's a little too hard on it, but I'm a die-hard fan of the originals and it's hard to top them, especially sans Bruce Campbell. Nobody could replace that guy. If you are a huge fan of the originals, just try not to go in with overly high expectations like me and you may find it more enjoyable. I still liked it, but it left me wanting more that I feel it just couldn't provide.

On a more interesting note, I hear tell there are rumblings of an Evil Dead 4 starring Bruce Campbell and that it may pick up from the post-apocalyptic alternate ending from Army of Darkness. Now that's something that tickles my pee-pee. :thumbsup:

harrison'samonster
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks for the post! That's one thing I'm thinking as well. An Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell can't possibly be as good. I would love to see the 4th Evil Dead too.

I look forward to seeing this remake!

Buddha Bus
04-15-2013, 08:24 PM
thanks for the post! That's one thing I'm thinking as well. An Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell can't possibly be as good. I would love to see the 4th Evil Dead too.

I look forward to seeing this remake!

It was good, just not Bruce Campbell good. :chuckle:

If you go to see it, do yourself a favor and watch all the way through the end credits. I promise it will be worth it. I was actually cheering at the end. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
02-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Well, 10 months later and I saw the original. It was actually pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion, SteelCityMom and Buddha Bus.

IowaSteeler927
02-25-2014, 06:24 AM
It was decent. Just lacked the charm of the original movies, and it lacked Bruce Campbell.

Bane
02-25-2014, 08:15 AM
It was decent. Just lacked the charm of the original movies, and it lacked Bruce Campbell.

Not if you waited until after the credits. :chuckle:

IowaSteeler927
02-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Not if you waited until after the credits. :chuckle:

Groovy