PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on Wallace: Steelers will miss him, Dolphins are lucky

Hawaii 5-0
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Big Ben on Wallace: Steelers will miss him, Dolphins are lucky

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/wallaceroethlisberger.jpg?w=250

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger thinks the Dolphins are going to get their money’s worth from their five-year, $60 million contract with receiver Mike Wallace.

Roethlisberger told TheFinsiders.com that Wallace is a complete receiver, and much more than just a deep threat with great speed.

“Mike is way more,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s to Mike’s credit. Mike is really focused on becoming a better receiver. So he’s focused on his route running. He’s focused on running out-routes, and curl-routes, and in-routes and doing all the little things that’s required to become a great wide receiver. That’s why he, to me, is one of the best in the league, because he not only has that speed – he can run by anybody – but he can run routes and he can get open. That’s why we’re going to miss him, and the Dolphins are lucky to have him.”

Roethlisberger added that Wallace will be a strong presence in the Dolphins’ locker room.

“He’s a great teammate, obviously a great player, but I thought he was even better off the field. Just a great guy, great teammate. Miami is very lucky to have him because he’s a great player,” Roethlisberger said.

Wallace will need to be every bit as great as Roethlisberger says he is to be worth the money the Dolphins are paying him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/big-ben-on-wallace-steelers-will-miss-him-dolphins-are-lucky/

harrison'samonster
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
a Mike Wallace thread PLUS a Big Ben thread! I think the Steelers are going to have trouble adjusting to the game without Wallace, but they might eventually become a better team. Who knows? I hope Wallace helps the Dolphins compete with the Patriots.

Buddha Bus
04-05-2013, 04:50 PM
a Mike Wallace thread PLUS a Big Ben thread!

That's as dangerous as sneezing, yawning, farting, and burping all at the same time. You're livin' on the edge, Hawaii.

VaDave
04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
That's as dangerous as sneezing, yawning, farting, and burping all at the same time. You're livin' on the edge, Hawaii.

LOL!!!!! Yins guyzs....

teegre
04-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know what Mike Tomlin had to say about BB's comments on Wallace? :wink02:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 12:04 AM
he said we're going to play scared against Miami. What he specifically said was, "I want us to have a 'head buried in the sand" mentality. "

teegre
04-06-2013, 12:10 AM
he said we're going to play scared against Miami. What he specifically said was, "I want us to have a 'head buried in the sand" mentality. "

:applaudit:

fer522
04-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Does anyone know what Mike Tomlin had to say about BB's comments on Wallace? :wink02:

He said "Ben...shut your mouth son cos WE'RE GONNA UNLEASH HELL "

Steeldude
04-06-2013, 05:32 AM
I am glad BR doesn't call the shots.

Wallace it trying to be a better WR? How? By deliberately not trying to catch passes? By refusing to fight for passes? By catching the football in that child-like manner?

VaDave
04-06-2013, 08:00 AM

In the inimitable words of the great Alfred E Neuman, "What, me Worry?"

VaDave
04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
he said we're going to play scared against Miami. "

Kind of like Wallace going over the middle??? Fighting for the ball? Blocking???

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
He said "Ben...shut your mouth son cos WE'RE GONNA UNLEASH HELL "

We're screwed. :doh:

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Kind of like Wallace going over the middle??? Fighting for the ball? Blocking???

Or trying in general.

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
anyone ask Ben how he felt about Wallace's lack of effort and how he felt about that?

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I think we need to talk about Arians a little in this thread too just to ensure the coming apocalypse.

Lokki
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
He got Wallace's route running confused with Brown's.

Did Ben happen to mention if the Cardinals are lucky to have Bruce Arians & Mendenspin? :sofunny:

Lokki
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I think we need to talk about Arians a little in this thread too just to ensure the coming apocalypse.

haha too funny.. I made my post as you were and brought him into it. :tt04:

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:20 AM
haha too funny.. I made my post as you were and brought him into it. :tt04:

Then we're doubly covered for certain doom. :thumbsup:

FanSince72
04-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Getting rid of Wallace wasn't a mistake...

...getting rid of Santonio WAS.

And for the sake of completing the "Thread Tifecta"... we should have kept Arians too! :applaudit:

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM

And for the sake of completing the "Thread Tifecta"... we should have kept Arians too! :applaudit:

Personally, getting rid of all 3 was a good move, IMHO.

Thanks for your contributions to the soon-to-be extinction of the human race though. This planet is long overdue for the purging of the disease known as man. :chuckle:

Bayz101
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM

First comment: :hatsoff:

Second comment: :chuckle:

Third comment: :rofl:

FanSince72
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
First comment: :hatsoff:

Second comment: :chuckle:

Third comment: :rofl:

You're welcome! :hatsoff:

FanSince72
04-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Personally, getting rid of all 3 was a good move, IMHO.

Thanks for your contributions to the soon-to-be extinction of the human race though. This planet is long overdue for the purging of the disease known as man. :chuckle:

Hey, I do what I can! :hatsoff:

pczach
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I am glad BR doesn't call the shots.

Wallace it trying to be a better WR? How? By deliberately not trying to catch passes? By refusing to fight for passes? By catching the football in that child-like manner?

What do you want the guy to say? That he sucks? That he didn't try? There's no good in doing any of that. Talking up his departed teammate doesn't mean anything. There's no point in the starting Qb taking shots at a guy that just walked out the door. Let's just move on and get someone better. Someone with balls and more Steeler-like.:helmet:

Fire Haley
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Ben gushing like a love struck cheerleader over Wallace is just his way of asking for a WR in the 1st rd.

you know it

Steeler7BR
04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Why is this even up for discussion?

Was giving away Wallace a good move from a football stand point? Definitly not.

Was it the right move? Yes and we had no other chance. Mike didn't wanna play for us and didn't wanna sign with us long term. What exactly the reason was, I don't know but there was simply no other chance.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 01:51 PM
it wasn't even just money. Vikings offered Wallace more money than the Dolphins. And I think the Vikings also have a better chance of making the playoffs. Wallace wanted to go back down south.

Location of a job makes a big difference.

pczach
04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Ben gushing like a love struck cheerleader over Wallace is just his way of asking for a WR in the 1st rd.

you know it

Because I'm sure in all the other organizations across the league, the starting quarterbacks are really pushing for a 7th round WR behind the scenes.

C'mon, Really? What should he have said?

Hawaii 5-0
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Mike didn't wanna play for us and didn't wanna sign with us long term. What exactly the reason was, I don't know but there was simply no other chance.

Mike Wallace was all about the $.

the reason he didn't want to sign with us is that he and his agent knew there were teams like the Dolphins and Vikings out there that were willing to overpay for his services.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Mike Wallace was all about the $.

the reason he didn't want to sign with us is that he and his agent knew there were teams like the Dolphins and Vikings out there that were willing to overpay for his services.

I disagree with the first part. I don't think he was "all" about the money. Money is a big deciding factor, and that's not a bad thing. I mean, it's not like these players play for a team because they are fans like us.

If he was all about the money it would have made more sense for him to go to the Vikings.

Hawaii 5-0
04-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I disagree with the first part. I don't think he was "all" about the money. Money is a big deciding factor, and that's not a bad thing. I mean, it's not like these players play for a team because they are fans like us.

If he was all about the money it would have made more sense for him to go to the Vikings.

not necessarily, Florida does not have a state income tax while Minnesota does.

pczach
04-06-2013, 08:46 PM
not necessarily, Florida does not have a state income tax while Minnesota does.

That's why we keep you around. You're always thinking.:steelersflag:

Fire Haley
04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Because I'm sure in all the other organizations across the league, the starting quarterbacks are really pushing for a 7th round WR behind the scenes.

C'mon, Really? What should he have said?

why did he say anything? just bored?

HE called in to talk about Wallace to the Dolphins media

again, BEN called in to profess his love for Wallace

Ben Roethlisberger Discusses Mike Wallace

Ben Roethlisberger, Pro Bowl quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, joins The Finsiders for an exclusive interview to give his unique perspective on how his former teammate, Mike Wallace, will help Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins offense. Don't miss Roethlisberger's explanations on why Wallace is far more than a one-trick pony.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/audio/Ben-Roethlisberger-Discusses-Mike-Wallace/1467e45c-ce8c-4527-ad05-578d063e3878

VaDave
04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
It's good PR... nothing more. The proof will be on the field.

Wallace did score some TDs and we will need to find a way the replace that. I get that.

However what he is also bringing to the Dolphins is a WR that doesn't block, will not fight for a ball, and doesn't go over the middle, not to mention a whopping price tag. If you thought he was dodging Safeties last year..... just wait for it now that he knows for sure what's at stake if he get messed up.

pczach
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
why did he say anything? just bored?

HE called in to talk about Wallace to the Dolphins media

again, BEN called in to profess his love for Wallace

Ben Roethlisberger Discusses Mike Wallace

Ben Roethlisberger, Pro Bowl quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, joins The Finsiders for an exclusive interview to give his unique perspective on how his former teammate, Mike Wallace, will help Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins offense. Don't miss Roethlisberger's explanations on why Wallace is far more than a one-trick pony.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/audio/Ben-Roethlisberger-Discusses-Mike-Wallace/1467e45c-ce8c-4527-ad05-578d063e3878

Most times you hear anyone on radio or tv, they call in at THEIR convenience. The player or his agent is given the number to call, and they call for a prearranged interview or call in. What's so unusual about it? You make it sound like Ben was sitting in bed under the covers in the dark with a flashlight calling on a cell with a scrambled signal so it can't be traced. Even if he called in from out of the blue to pimp his friend...so what? I guess I just don't see it the way you do. And I see nothing wrong with wanting a high draft pick used on wr. It would be the first time in his career that they will have done that. You would think that a top-tier qb wouldn't HAVE to ask for or suggest something that probably should have been done years ago.:noidea:

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Even if he called in from out of the blue to pimp his friend...so what?

I still think Ben is rubbing it in the faces of the Steelers that they let his #1 WR go.

pczach
04-07-2013, 07:55 AM
I still think Ben is rubbing it in the faces of the Steelers that they let his #1 WR go.

Maybe he is. I don't know what's going on inside his head. I just don't think it's a big deal. If he was speaking badly about a current teammate, or bashing a former teammate, that would be bad. I see it as much ado about nothing.

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
maybe the Steelers don't want him to have any good receivers so he'll stop playing sandlot football on every pass, probably why they brought in Mr Dink&Dunk (which still has him fuming)

and yet they refuse to get him a legitimate LT, so his ribs will continue to get crushed - I could see why he'd be upset.

pczach
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
maybe the Steelers don't want him to have any good receivers so he'll stop playing sandlot football on every pass, probably why they brought in Mr Dink&Dunk (which still has him fuming)

and yet they refuse to get him a legitimate LT, so his ribs will continue to get crushed - I could see why he'd be upset.

I don't claim to know why the Steelers have made some of the decisions they've made with players at certain positions. I'm not that smart!

Bottom line is this.....if the OL plays well, the offense will play well.

austinfrench76
04-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Didn't he say the same thing when Plaxico and Holmes left. It's just the typical up-talk that most players do when a teammate leaves.

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Ben is just doing what franchise Quarterbacks do - talk up the guys that left and act like they're irreplaceable. To a lesser extent, listen to what Tomlin says about the competition before every game. He talks as if everyone on the field is an All-Pro player.

He's just being classy about losing a player. There's not much more to it.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Adios Wallace, other than the Super Bowl you helped the Steelers win, wait you didn't, once again Adios to your drops, taking plays off and giving your half ass effort. Good luck with Miami, you may sniff the playoffs in a couple of years but touch the Lombardi trophy, you never will. See ya Pony!

Ricco Suavez
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I for one would of liked to have resigned Wallace. He was a talented WR with speed that is rare. Even with his perceived attitude problems he will be missed. Now despite my personal feelings, I know it was not possibly for the Steelers to pony up the amount of money it would of taken to resign him. I understand completely that from the business end there was no choice.

Some of these people we lost, while talented, could be a blessing in a more cohesive team for the upcoming season. Mendenhall and Wallace were both unhappy with their situation in Pittsburgh. We need a team effort this year, not a Super Human effort from just Ben or Troy or Brown or many others, we need this team to pull together this year from the get go. Haley has one year under his belt, Ben has had a year to cool down from his Arians affection, (or is that infection), players like Brown, Dwyer, Redman now have no choice but to produce and are or at least should be expected to produce. I look forward to an awesome draft and a new season of Steeler football.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
If Jon Martin can protect Tannehill, then he has a chance to get Wallace the ball a lot and make big plays. But if the O line cant protect and the Dolphins cant establish a run game, then Wallace will be as effective as he was here last year.

That is why I hate overpaying and overemphasizing WR's. Without a QB, a run game and an O line to protect the QB, you get fewer shots to use that WR.

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I am hoping that was just the team's standard PR piece for when a teammate leaves for another team....because if ben actually believes the stuff he wrote about Wallace....he really is dumb.

DanRooney
04-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Adios Wallace, other than the Super Bowl you helped the Steelers win, wait you didn't, once again Adios to your drops, taking plays off and giving your half ass effort. Good luck with Miami, you may sniff the playoffs in a couple of years but touch the Lombardi trophy, you never will. See ya Pony!

We won't either for a very long time by the looks of it.

VaDave
04-08-2013, 10:29 PM
If Jon Martin can protect Tannehill, then he has a chance to get Wallace the ball a lot and make big plays. But if the O line cant protect and the Dolphins cant establish a run game, then Wallace will be as effective as he was here last year.

That is why I hate overpaying and overemphasizing WR's. Without a QB, a run game and an O line to protect the QB, you get fewer shots to use that WR.

Does Martin play left Tackle? If so, do you think he's going pick the slack with Jake Long leaving?

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
a new thread coming soon:

Big Ben on Sanders: "Steelers will miss him, Patriots* are lucky"

harrison'samonster
04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Big Ben Wants Big 1st Round Reciever!
Tomlin's Time Tied Up in Competition Committee!
Art Rooney II: Receives Meddler of the Year Medal!
Warren Sapp Able to Shove 10 Hard Boiled Eggs Into Own Mouth!

All this and more for one low monthly subscription!

cowherpower
04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I am hoping that was just the team's standard PR piece for when a teammate leaves for another team....because if ben actually believes the stuff he wrote about Wallace....he really is dumb.

has his stupidity ever been in question?

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't claim to know why the Steelers have made some of the decisions they've made with players at certain positions. I'm not that smart!

I'd say $$$ had a lot to do with it

but them I'm not a genius either

Hawaii 5-0
05-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Ryan Tannehill: Mike Wallace is the fastest guy I’ve thrown to

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 12, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/350x-712-e1351902890334.jpg?w=208

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has been working with new Miami receiver Mike Wallace, and he likes what he sees.

“Everything I heard about him coming in has proved to be true – he’s as advertised,” Tannehill told the Miami Herald. “He’s the fastest guy I’ve ever thrown to. It’s exciting.”

Tannehill said that when they first started working together, Tannehill threw Wallace a few passes and then suggested that Wallace should slow down to half speed while they got their timing right. Wallace replied, “I am going half speed.”

In addition to working with Wallace, Tannehill has been studying tape of his own rookie season and seeing a lot of areas where he can get better.

“There were a lot of throws where my feet were not set, fundamentally not sound, and the ball isn’t as accurate as you want it to be,” he said. “You look at the reasons for that and I hope to correct it, so it’s not an issue going forward.”

With that offseason work and the arrival of Wallace, Tannehill might be able to fulfill the Dolphins’ expectations that he’ll be the most improved quarterback in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/12/ryan-tannehill-mike-wallace-is-the-fastest-guy-ive-thrown-to/

tony hipchest
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Tannehill said that when they first started working together, Tannehill threw Wallace a few passes and then suggested that Wallace should slow down to half speed while they got their timing right. Wallace replied, “I am going half speed.”

:chuckle: looks like tannehil may struggle with underthrowing wallace as well.

zcoop
05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
:chuckle: looks like tannehil may struggle with underthrowing wallace as well.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

TheVet
05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Ben's a great football player, but LOL at the thought of him running a business.