PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Is Not Looking Good.

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I am not one to press the panic button pre-draft, but my finger is dangling very close to it right now. What I have seen so far doesnt give me much optimism for next year.

Lets start by we are coming off an 8-8 season, not a playoff run

1- we lost numerous starters that their replacement is either a MAJOR question mark or are not on the roster- Starks, Harrison, Lewis, Hampton, Wallace, Mendy and we may lose Sanders.

2- Heath Millers return may be mid season

3- We resigned aging or underperforming players or both like Foote, dwyer and burress and stevenson(although I think buresss will be productive)

4- The only outside talent we signed were ex players gay and spaeth. gay was cut by the cardinals after sub par or worse years with us and Spaeth is a blocking TE that cant catch

5- Our defense is getting way too old at key positions, just look at Keisel, clark, troy, taylor and foote.

6- all the free agants that we could sign that could upgrade a position (not for depth) are gone.

7- The draft isnt going to help us as the Steelers are notorious for NOT playing high draft picks, especially on defense and who arent interior lineman in their rookie year .

I know we have a franchise QB but off an 8-8 season with a defense that cant get sacks or turnovers I am not sure how we can improve from 8-8

just being a realist

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm still holding out hope, but we are currently paying the piper for all of the contract restructurings we've been doing over the past few years. It was eventually going to catch up to us sooner or later. Every team is bound to have down years and the Steelers are no exception. We may be entering a period of it right now after a great run over the past decade.

I have faith that Colbert and company can get us back on track sooner rather than later though through the draft. They have a history of drafting fairly well and finding some undiscovered gems in UFAs. We may need to struggle a little more than usual the next 2 years though.

Look on the bright side.... at least we aren't the Browns, Jaguars, Jets, Bills, or Raiders. Those teams couldn't find their own asses with 2 hands, a road map, and a sherpa guide.

Vis
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
I am not one to press the panic button pre-draft, but my finger is dangling very close to it right now. What I have seen so far doesnt give me much optimism for next year.

1- we lost numerous starters that their replacement is either a MAJOR question mark or are not on the roster- Starks, Harrison, Lewis, Hampton, Wallace, Mendy and we may lose Sanders.

3- We resigned aging or underperforming players or both like Foote, dwyer and burress and stevenson(although I think buresss will be productive)

4- The only outside talent we signed were ex players gay and spaeth. gay was cut by the cardinals after sub par or worse years with us and Spaeth is a blocking TE that cant catch

5- Our defense is getting way too old at key positions, just look at Keisel, clark, troy, taylor and foote.

6- all the free agants that we could sign that could upgrade a position (not for depth) are gone.

7- The draft isnt going to help us as the Steelers are notorious for NOT playing high draft picks, especially on defense and who arent interior lineman in their rookie year .

I know we have a franchise QB but off an 8-8 season with a defense that cant get sacks or turnovers I am not sure how we can improve from 8-8

just being a realist

Some of those we lost were the types of aging players you complain we still have in a later item.

The Steelers don' refuse to play high draft picks. High draft picks had a problem cracking the starting lineup because the guy in front of them was better. That's a good thing but this year might be different. We do have areas in need of immediate help so a rookie is forced to play.

FanSince72
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM

just being a realist

This HAD to happen sooner or later and frankly I think this sort of thing should have happened even sooner.

For the last couple of years, it's been kind of like someone who really needs to clean his garage but just can't bring himself to get rid of some of his "stuff" and every time he tried, he ended up smiling at memories instead of filling a garbage can.

But sooner or later all that stuff makes it impossible to get to the door and then it's time.

Now is the time.

Before Ben gets to the point where a brand new team won't mean as much to him as much as a walker or a pair of crutches.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 09:58 AM
For the last couple of years, it's been kind of like someone who really needs to clean his garage but just can't bring himself to get rid of some of his "stuff" and every time he tried, he ended up smiling at memories instead of filling a garbage can.

But sooner or later all that stuff makes it impossible to get to the door and then it's time.

Stupid hoarders.

pczach
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm not ready to concede anything yet. Let's see what happens in the draft, and how the new pieces fit in. I think Antonio Brown will have a better year than Wallace had by far. I think Sanders, Cotch, and Plax will be fine rounding out the wr. Our offensive line will be better. I think we are going to draft a rb that can help us immediately. On defense, the scheme will help us maintain. New players will step up on the line, and I believe some linebackers in this draft can come in and be situational help right away(3rd down rushers or blitzers), while some of the veterans hold the ship till the youth is ready for primetime. Our secondary still has Ike, Troy, and Ryan, with Cortez Allen taking the spot of Lewis. We have some veteran backups and some youth at cb. With a good draft I could still see this being a good year.

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Some of those we lost were the types of aging players you complain we still have in a later item.

The Steelers don' refuse to play high draft picks. High draft picks had a problem cracking the starting lineup because the guy in front of them was better. That's a good thing but this year might be different. We do have areas in need of immediate help so a rookie is forced to play.

wallace,mendy lewis and sanders are not aging players

as for players sitting behind a player who is better....not a chance.

Troy sat behind MIke Logan/Brent Alexander
Harrison sat behind Clark Haggans
Bryant McFadden sat behind an aging Chad Scott
Timmons sat behind Larry Foote
Woodley sat behind Haggans
Hood and Cameron sat behind Smith and Keisel\

The players they sat behind were good but none were dynamic playmakers and you draft the above players in the top 3 rounds because you think they can be (other than harrison)

and Harrison is a prime example. get a guy in the line up and see what he can do.

instead we sit these guys behind average players.

In the pastg we could do that as the teams were better, now we cant as the team is going downhill. get the young guys in and let the footes of the world back them up

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
wallace,mendy lewis and sanders are not aging players

as for players sitting behind a player who is better....not a chance.

Troy sat behind MIke Logan/Brent Alexander
Harrison sat behind Clark Haggans
Bryant McFadden sat behind an aging Chad Scott
Timmons sat behind Larry Foote
Woodley sat behind Haggans
Hood and Cameron sat behind Smith and Keisel\

The players they sat behind were good but none were dynamic playmakers and you draft the above players in the top 3 rounds because you think they can be (other than harrison)

and Harrison is a prime example. get a guy in the line up and see what he can do.

instead we sit these guys behind average players.

In the pastg we could do that as the teams were better, now we cant as the team is going downhill. get the young guys in and let the footes of the world back them up

Wallace was done trying in Pittsburgh. No loss.

Mendy was inconsistent at best and oft injured.

Lewis was probably the biggest loss, but he only did it for one year and was unlikely to re-sign here from the looks of it. Just remember what happened to William Gay and Bryant McFadden when they left.

Sanders isn't even gone yet. :noidea:

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM

Lewis was probably the biggest loss, but he only did it for one year and was unlikely to re-sign here from the looks of it. Just remember what happened to William Gay and Bryant McFadden when they left.

and who do we have to replace them? especially knowing the steelers dont throw rookies into he starting line up.

so they are all lost starters with no replacements regardless of their efforts. the fact they were underachieving and still in the lineup speaks volumes about the lack of depth.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Allen will take over for Lewis. Wallace and Sanders both leaving will create problems. But like you said at first, we haven't gotten to the draft yet, so we don't know how the Steelers are planning to work that out.

By the way, a healthy and consistent O-line will take care of a lot of offensive problems.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 10:38 AM
and who do we have to replace them? especially knowing the steelers dont throw rookies into he starting line up.

so they are all lost starters with no replacements regardless of their efforts. the fact they were underachieving and still in the lineup speaks volumes about the lack of depth.

As HAM said, Allen replaces Lewis. Next man up!

There is no difference in whatever RB, be it Redman, Dwyer, or Batch, that replaces Mendenhall since they all hold the same skill-set.... getting injured and missing time. The draft or Ahmad Bradshaw are possible cures for that void.

I repeat, Sanders is not gone yet. We have veteran wideouts in Cotchery and Burress who can help to ease the pain of Wallace leaving. We weren't going to have a shot in hell of retaining Wallace anyway, so crying over that spilled milk is pointless. We can draft a young WR to groom for next year. Every team loses good-to-great players every year due to free agency. With a salary cap you can't possibly keep every good player forever. You have to adjust and move forward.

Grab a beer, sit back, take a deep breath, and take your hand off of the panic button. Every year can't be a banner year. This may be a temporary rebuilding/reloading year. It's just a game, not the future of the human race at stake.

wootawnee
04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Larry Foote played in 3 superbowls.... Where is the logc in that....Kiesel got some tread left.....

The Sky is Falling!! The Sky is Falling!! :bricks::bricks:

Varg
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Why would you put sanders on there he's not gone lol. Heard the same sob story when porter left and Harrison took over. Lewis is the only key piece we lost but we have someone with near equal talent ready to step up. Do you honestly not believe we will draft a RB and WR and they wouldn't play this year? With will Allen and Ryan mundy leaving, I can guarantee we will be grabbing vacarro in the first or Elam by trading down. Those players would of course not start due to our safeties being very good but not the RB and WR we will draft . You talk sbout Keisel too? We already have young studs waiting to take his spot so were good there. A lot of worry warts in here.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 10:48 AM
There is no difference in whatever RB, be it Redman, Dwyer, or Batch, that replaces Mendenhall since they all hold the same skill-set.... getting injured and missing time.

:rofl:

Actually, if Dwyer comes back in better shape I think he might have more success.

Like you say, Sanders isn't gone yet. I wouldn't mind if he goes to tell you the truth. Ravens got what, a 6th rounder for Boldin. In the past we got a 5th rounder for Holmes. I like the sound of getting a 3rd rounder for Sanders. Could be a nice trade off!

desertsteel
04-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah... We lost numerous starters off of an 8-8 team, not a Super Bowl winner. I'm pretty fired up and excited to see how the next James Harrison's of the world perform when given their shot.

12-4 and Super Bowl run baby!!!

desertsteel
04-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Actually, if Dwyer comes back in better shape I think he might have more success.

If a guy who either (a) is fighting for a roster spot or (b) has a chance to start, can't motivate himself to get in shape then I do not hold out any hope that he ever will.

Both situations applied to Dwyer last year.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Like you say, Sanders isn't gone yet. I wouldn't mind if he goes to tell you the truth. Ravens got what, a 6th rounder for Boldin. In the past we got a 5th rounder for Holmes. I like the sound of getting a 3rd rounder for Sanders. Could be a nice trade off!

And I don't mind it either. Sanders has shown flashes of both good and bad, as well as injury issues early on so the jury is still out on him anyway. A 3rd rounder would be a nice consolation prize in my mind, though I lean towards wanting to keep him.

I too hope Dwyer can get in good shape and surprise everybody, but I won't hold my breath. As has been stated, he may be more of a complimentary back to someone else (not Redman or Batch).

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 11:03 AM

just being a realist

I was just in the Evil Dead thread where there was so much positivity, then I saw this. This made me sad.

1. I'm ok with letting every single one of those guys so (except Manny). Gilbert is a natural LT that was trying to play RT because we had Starks on the roster. Now we have Mike Adams, who's a natural RT, to play on the other side of the line. Harrison is 35 and had a 10 million dollar cap hit. Wallace and Mendy didn't contribute a whole lot this year and we have McLendon and/or Ta'amu to play NT. They're both significantly younger and in better shape than Hampton.

2. It could also be week 1. We don't know.

3. We could also draft an ILB in the first round in Arthur Brown and he could start opposite Timmons. Dwyer will be fighting for his job with a draft pick, Burress is a RZT and Stevenson is a ST player. None of those guys spell 'doom and gloom' for me.

4. Spaeth helps Adams continue his development on the right side. Having that extra guy to play with is going to be huge for him and eventually he won't need him. At that time, Miller is going to be back. Oh, and about Will Gay, he's a Nickle CB. Nothing more.

5. We have Heyward behind Keisel. Why do people forget about him?! The rest of the positions are going to be addressed in the draft. A draft that we haven't had yet and you're already freaking out about our roster.

6. When do we ever go out and spend huge in free agency?

7. That depends. If Le'Veon Bell is drafted, he'll start. If Arthur Brown is drafted there's a chance he'll beat out Larry for that starting ILB position. If someone like Matt Elam and/or Shawn Williams is drafted they won't start because they'll have Clark and/or Troy ahead of them.

Let's not jump off the bridge before we have the draft, shall we?

teegre
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Is BB still the QB for the Steelers? Yes... then the Steelers still have a legitimate shot at winning the SuperBowl.

ebsteelers
04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
i'll be shocked if we don't go 0-16

pete74
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Wallace wasnt done trying in Pittsburgh. He wanted paid and we didnt pay him. He knew after that he wasnt in our future plans so of course he didnt feel the same as his first three years. He is an awesome WR and losing him hurts bad .
With that said I wouldnt of paid him 13million to stay

desertsteel
04-06-2013, 11:31 AM

just being a realist

I guess the Rooneys read this forum...

ESPN Report: Siting the above reasons, the Pittsburgh Steelers have petitioned Commissioner Roger Godell to pull out of the 2013 NFL season. A ruling is expected sometime shortly after the NFL draft.

www.espn.com/nfl-steelers-quit

Steel_Bus_24
04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
lets see what we do in the draft

My biggest worries by far are Adams and Gilbert not progressing or regressing and then letting Ben get killed out there.

Next would be our defensive depth at LB, CB, Safety....though hopefully, again, the draft calms some of the worries there

Usually when it looks the darkest, is when the Steelers surprise everybody

either way it will be a telling year

FrancoLambert
04-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Is BB still the QB for the Steelers? Yes... then the Steelers still have a legitimate shot at winning the SuperBowl.

Love your optimistic outlook. :tt03:

BUT it's going to take a bit more than just BB to have a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl run this year.

Blacksburg Zach
04-06-2013, 11:51 AM
i'll be shocked if we don't go 0-16

Just 0-16? I will be shocked if this team doesn't go 0-17. They will be so bad, they will lose to their bye week as well as all their other opponents.

ZoneBlitzer
04-06-2013, 12:07 PM
This is definitely a major transition period. Don't forget the roster losses prior to the 8-8 season. I think losing Farrior and Smtih contributed to the 8-8 year in someway whether it be leadership or talent level. Next year, could be worse with the current roster turnover. It's on the offense now. They had their weapons and under performed. Now, they are undermanned with the talent loss. It will either be addition by subtraction or just plain subtraction. This team will go as far as the offense can take it. No more free rides for them.

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 12:10 PM
i guess you guys dont like logic. we were 8-8 and all we did was retain sub par players from that team

i dont expect to be 12-4 every year but in the years we werent that good there was promise.

any promise on this team is being a homer.

lots of "coulds" in your guys replies.

why is this an issue for 2013, not forever but 2013 like my post reads? because we dont play our rookies and we have no upgrades and all loses so far.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
football isn't logical. it's emotional and physical. there only is speculation at this point. we haven't gotten to the draft. We've still got camp and pre-season to go through. I can't say one way or another we will be worse than last year until we win or lose our 8th game this season.

desertsteel
04-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Lots of "could nots" in yours.

pczach
04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Big Ben has good feet for a man his size. He might be able to help us at left tackle.:flap:

ebsteelers
04-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Just 0-16? I will be shocked if this team doesn't go 0-17. They will be so bad, they will lose to their bye week as well as all their other opponents.

i''ll take it one step further.. 0 and 21...

losing all our preseason games with are starting playing the whole time as well.

average margin of each Loss 100 points.

Ben will throw 50 picks this season..

were gonna stink real bad

JackH
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
i guess you guys dont like logic. we were 8-8 and all we did was retain sub par players from that team

i dont expect to be 12-4 every year but in the years we werent that good there was promise.

why is this an issue for 2013, not forever but 2013 like my post reads? because we dont play our rookies and we have no upgrades and all loses so far.

The only possible reason I could agree with the pessimism expressed in your posts would be if Ben would buy another motorcycle and wreck it and his knee and be done for the season before it even starts.

There is a very fine line between a successful season in the NFL and a bust. What if the Steelers had won one more game last season? What then? If the Steelers had beaten the Ravens in that Week 11 game they lost 13-10 with Leftwich at QB, it would have been the Steelers in the playoffs and not your World Champion Baltimore Ratbirds.

Let me give you a possible upgrade without even talking about the draft. Troy played in 7 games last season, and only briefly in 2 of those 7. If he plays in most of next season's games, the Steelers number 1 ranked defense last season might even be better, right? And, personally, I like Cortez Allen better than Keenan Lewis.

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Let me give you a possible upgrade without even talking about the draft. Troy played in 7 games last season, and only briefly in 2 of those 7. If he plays in most of next season's games, the Steelers number 1 ranked defense last season might even be better, right? And, personally, I like Cortez Allen better than Keenan Lewis.

this could potentially be huge. Troy and Allen both force turnovers. Throw in Timmons on that count as well. Now, if Woodley can play up to his ability and Worilds can get more consistent pressure than an injured Harrison did last year, we are in business.

One spot nobody is talking about much, because it is such a big unknown -- can somebody step up and improve the NT position? This is one spot that is crucial to a 3-4.

And our offense will be better if our O-line holds together.

pczach
04-06-2013, 01:57 PM

losing all our preseason games with are starting playing the whole time as well.

Now THAT'S more like it!

BlaZeQuietly
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I didn't read all the posts on this thread because ... well its a pretty long thread but I read the first two pages and as someone pointed out.. Ben Roethlisberger is our quarterback, that is huge. We still don't know what our run game is going to be coming into next year, in fact its a HUGE question mark. It's obvious they are going to make a moving at running back, thats why we are visiting with free agent running backs before the draft, if we don't sign Bradshaw I look for us to draft a quality running back. So either way were probably going into next season with Ben at QB and a Quality running back who is yet to be determined who will be backed up by a couple bruisers in Redman and Dwyer. Hopefully we don't lose Sanders, Wallace was not doing our team any good, in fact his attitude along with Mendenhalls were infectious poison. Remember what 90% of us were bitching about (including my self) last season? Wallace not trying, Mendenhall sucking and having a piss poor attitude. I don't miss either of them. I don't even see why people are so pessimistic about the upcoming season we cut a lot of fat. Yeah we lost Harrison, but he wasn't the threat he used to be. We looked horrible last year, so I think a shake up is just what we needed. As long as we patch up the major vacancies and acquire a running back be it Bradshaw or a pick, I am more excited for the up coming season than I have been the past 3 years or so. It's going to be exciting to see what a new group of characters can accomplish for us. Even if we don't fix it in one year, which I think er very well could, the future looks bright, we are the Steelers, thats one of the great thing about being a Steelers fan, 8-8 is about as bad as it gets.

Hawaii 5-0
04-06-2013, 02:52 PM

yup, things are about to get really ugly...

we will have 4th quarter leads in every one of those games but the senile Dick LeBeau's defense will cough up everyone of those leads.

Art II the meddlesome owner whose only goal is to re-live the 70s will dictate to our ex-golf coach who only got the OC job because of who his Daddy is that we have to run on every down. Run the ball Yoi!

Ben will be expected to dig us out of every hole on 3rd down and will continue to be disrespected by the organization. at the end of the season he will be traded because quite frankly we can find any QB to just hand the ball off like Art II wants.

teegre
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
The only possible reason I could agree with the pessimism expressed in your posts would be if Ben would buy another motorcycle and wreck it and his knee and be done for the season before it even starts.

There is a very fine line between a successful season in the NFL and a bust. What if the Steelers had won one more game last season? What then? If the Steelers had beaten the Ravens in that Week 11 game they lost 13-10 with Leftwich at QB, it would have been the Steelers in the playoffs and not your World Champion Baltimore Ratbirds.

^^That^^

FrancoLambert
04-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Love your optimism.

But there's a few too many "What if?" "What then?" and "If.." presumptions involved.
Especially Troy playing in most of next season's games. Based on recent history we can't expect that.
I'd love it too happen but I can't assume he will.

We were 8-8 and had a knack for making mistakes in big spots.

I do agree with your assessment of Allen. I think he has a bigger upside than Lewis.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Everything going into a new season is a what if. No one actually knows what will happen.

teegre
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Everything going into a new season is a what if. No one actually knows what will happen.

Exactly.

There is a small city in Nevada built upon the "what ifs."

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Right now, everybody is in 1st place. Gloom and doom in April is a bit silly.

There is a picture somewhere of a cat that thinks the sky is falling. It pretty much sums up this thread.

JackH
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Love your optimism.

But there's a few too many "What if?" "What then?" and "If.." presumptions involved.
Especially Troy playing in most of next season's games. Based on recent history we can't expect that.
I'd love it too happen but I can't assume he will.

We were 8-8 and had a knack for making mistakes in big spots.

I do agree with your assessment of Allen. I think he has a bigger upside than Lewis.

Troy did play in all 16 games the season before last. Who knows. But we do know that the Steelers will draft a safety early in the draft, right? If not, Kevin Colbert is not smarter than a 5th grader. If Troy is healthy, the Steelers are better than last season on defense. If Troy is not healthy, I don't have much reason to believe the defense will be all that much different than last season.

You are right on about mistakes in big spots. Except for the Chargers game where nobody wearing black and gold showed up including the coaches, the Steelers were in every game they lost until near the end. It seems unlikely to me that many mistakes are going to be repeated. I mean, 8 turnovers against the Browns. Maybe one or two or three or four or five fewer turnovers and the Steelers would have won that game they lost by 6.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Wallace wasnt done trying in Pittsburgh. He wanted paid and we didnt pay him. He knew after that he wasnt in our future plans so of course he didnt feel the same as his first three years. He is an awesome WR and losing him hurts bad .
With that said I wouldnt of paid him 13million to stay

I'm sorry, but the Wallace I saw this past season didn't give nearly as much effort as the previous seasons. Yes, he was done trying in Pittsburgh. It was clear he wasn't interested in working to prove to the Steelers F.O. that he was worth the money he was seeking. He was in self-preservation mode saving himself for another team. Where do we lose in him walking at that point?

I'm not saying Wallace won't be productive for another team, but it was clear he no longer had interest in being productive for this team. In that sense, he's no loss and I see no way he lives up to that contract from what he's shown thus far. Miami overpaid big time and will regret that.

AgentGold007
04-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Luckily, the season is actually played on the football field between September and February. I'm not giving up on the season when we haven't even got through April yet. So what if it doesn't look good on paper so far. We don't play for paper championships.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 05:44 PM

And there are no "coulds' in yours? As far as retaining subpar players, exactly what did the guys we lost do to make you feel like we lost some world-beaters? Lewis was the best of the lot from this past season and even he wasn't one I'd consider make or break.

Also not being a homer and predicting a playoff year either. I said it may be a difficult year of minor rebuilding and expressing hope that Colbert and the F.O. can turn it over fast. They have a track record last time I checked.

Oh nevermind...... we suck and there is no hope. Sell and move the franchise to L.A. :doh:

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM
There is a picture somewhere of a cat that thinks the sky is falling. It pretty much sums up this thread.

http://afeatheradrift.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/sky-is-falling.jpg

I've got your back, Gonzo. :chuckle:

JackH
04-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry, but the Wallace I saw this past season didn't give nearly as much effort as the previous seasons. Yes, he was done trying in Pittsburgh. It was clear he wasn't interested in working to prove to the Steelers F.O. that he was worth the money he was seeking. He was in self-preservation mode saving himself for another team. Where do we lose in him walking at that point?

I'm not saying Wallace won't be productive for another team, but it was clear he no longer had interest in being productive for this team. In that sense, he's no loss and I see no way he lives up to that contract from what he's shown thus far. Miami overpaid big time and will regret that.

Wallace scored more TDs last season than all the other Steelers WRs combined.

He is a loss, a big loss, and making up those 8 TDs he scored should be of utmost concern to the Steelers. Not that they had enough TDs in the passing game to begin with.

Ricco Suavez
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Another Sky has fallen thread. I am an upbeat type of person, a never quit, a never say never type. I am also a realist, I know we are not going to be contenders every season. But to say the upcoming season is not looking good is jumping to all sorts of conclusions. A lot of things happened to contribute to an 8-8 season and some of the subtractions along with a few key additions through a good draft could very well change the entire outlook of this team for 2013.

Ben was having a career year before his injury, we had a larger number of injuries to players than usual. The O-Line had no time to work together as a unit there was so many injuries. Six of our eight losses were by a score or less. Ben faltered down the stretch, at times every WR coughed up a game, Mendenhall was a non-factor, Wallace was eyeing his next contract, Woodley was out of shape and JH and Troy were hurt most of the year. DeCastro missed nearly all season and Spence did not see the field. I know, these all excuses, but sometimes even good teams can not overcome every obstacle in their path.

With a new season, some new faces, some players in roles where they are expected to pick up their game, who knows what will happen. I don't crown the Steelers world champs during the off season and I sure as hell don't count them out either. I will wait and see what kind of team shows up this year. One thing I do know is we need to have a couple of really good drafts and have some young talent step in quicker than in past years.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM

He is a loss, a big loss, and making up those 8 TDs he scored should be of utmost concern to the Steelers. Not that they had enough TDs in the passing game to begin with.

Those other WRs will now get more opportunities with Wallace gone. Sanders was a 3rd WR and wouldn't necessarily get a ton of opportunities for TDs and I think Brown was used more as a possession-type chain mover WR. Ben can't rely on the deep strike to Wallace now and, with Heath out for awhile possibly, we'll see if Brown and Sanders (if he's still around) can step up and be that kind of playmaker(s).

Burress will also get more playing time now and is a big target for Ben in the red zone. Look for him to lean on Plax early and often in scoring range. All is not lost.

Steelers5895
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
This isn't a sky is falling thread. It's points that we did nothing to upgrade thus far from being 8-8. Add the fact our rookies barely play year 1, I am wondering what will the steelers do to improve. I have no issue playing for 2014.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
This isn't a sky is falling thread. It's points that we did nothing to upgrade thus far from being 8-8. Add the fact our rookies barely play year 1, I am wondering what will the steelers do to improve. I have no issue playing for 2014.

Pssst... it's called "the draft". You know, that thing that hasn't even happened yet.

TheVet
04-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Just wanted to point out that Mendy was not a starter. Also, it's easy to argue that losing him was a team improvement.

We can also add #8:

8 - We only have two proven starters on our OL (Pouncey and DeCastro), and many would argue that DD doesn't qualify yet, but I think it's obvious that he's way above the line. At OT, we have only two hopefuls. We have no starting-caliber players at LG.

steelerschik
04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Allen will take over for Lewis. Wallace and Sanders both leaving will create problems. But like you said at first, we haven't gotten to the draft yet, so we don't know how the Steelers are planning to work that out.
By the way, a healthy and consistent O-line will take care of a lot of offensive problems.

Didn't we lose him to Dallas? I don't really see Sanders leaving, but then again who knows.

The Steelers had a down year this past season largely due to injuries. I know we lost what looks like a lot of players, but I trust the steelers FO more than my own self. I think their season will be defined more by injuries more than loss of players, IMO of course.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Just wanted to point out that Mendy was not a starter. Also, it's easy to argue that losing him was a team improvement.

Exactly. Mendy couldn't even convincingly beat out Redman and Dwyer, but somehow he's the second coming of Franco fucking Harris to some people now that he's gone.

Can anybody here honestly say, with a straight face, that they believe Mendy will be a top 10 running back in the league next year under Arians in Arizona? If you can, meet me in the Wal-Mart parking lot down the street in 10 minutes. I'll pay top dollar for whatever it is you're smoking.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Didn't we lose him to Dallas?

Wrong Allen. That was Will. We're talking Cortez.

steelerschik
04-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Wrong Allen. That was Will. We're talking Cortez.

Ahhhhhhhh, thanks. LOL, I forgot all about Cortez.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Ahhhhhhhh, thanks. LOL, I forgot all about Cortez.

It's all good. It's easy to get confused sometimes when you aren't used to seeing those names all the time as a starter. It took me awhile to keep them straight myself. :chuckle:

Now if I could just grasp the reasoning behind converting 76-year old Charlie Batch to a RB/special teamer....... :huh:

:wink02:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Now if I could just grasp the reasoning behind converting 76-year old Charlie Batch to a RB/special teamer....... :huh:

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
The Steelers had a down year this past season largely due to injuries. I know we lost what looks like a lot of players, but I trust the steelers FO more than my own self. I think their season will be defined more by injuries more than loss of players, IMO of course.

exactly. If the O-line in particular stays healthy, our offense will look a lot better.

teegre
04-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Before BB got injured: 6-3.
After BB got injured: 2-5.

You want improvement, I give you BB.

This team goes as BB goes... and prior to his injury, ESPN analysts were calling the Steelers the front-runners to win the Lombardi.

VaDave
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
!

Grab a beer, sit back, take a deep breath, and take your hand off of the panic button. Every year can't be a banner year. This may be a temporary rebuilding/reloading year. It's just a game, not the future of the human race at stake.

This may be the sanest post ever out of Steeler Nation. Well said!!

VaDave
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Exactly. Mendy couldn't even convincingly beat out Redman and Dwyer, but somehow he's the second coming of Franco fucking Harris to some people now that he's gone.

Can anybody here honestly say, with a straight face, that they believe Mendy will be a top 10 running back in the league next year under Arians in Arizona? If you can, meet me in the Wal-Mart parking lot down the street in 10 minutes. I'll pay top dollar for whatever it is you're smoking.

Rumor has it all of the Mendenhall Sucks thread have disappeared.........

Another great post Buddha

harrison'samonster
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM

I do understand what you're saying. And when you create a thread you back it up. A lot of people just disagree. If we go out next year and play our best and stay healthy there's no reason at all to expect to play as poorly as an 8-8 team. We were headed in the right direction last year when injuries took over.

We worked through Polamalu and Harrison's injury. But the injuries to the O-line and secondary became so deep we couldn't keep up. And the killer was the injury to Roethlisberger.

jacobo
04-06-2013, 06:56 PM
our season was ruined by injuries and really, really stupid decisions in key spots. The injuries, we can hope they don't happen. The decisions are curable. There shouldn't be a panic.

Buddha Bus
04-06-2013, 06:59 PM
This may be the sanest post ever out of Steeler Nation. Well said!!

Rumor has it all of the Mendenhall Sucks thread have disappeared.........

Another great post Buddha

Why thank you, sir! :hatsoff:

VaDave
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Why thank you, sir! :hatsoff:

I meant every word of it. Especially the beer part....

pczach
04-06-2013, 09:04 PM

I think he also had more drops than all the other Steelers WRs combined, and was targeted more than everyone else combined. They tried to force feed him the ball so he could show us what he's worth. He showed us. That's why he's gone.

BlaZeQuietly
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Our luck was so bad last season that the law of averages suggests that we will probably have unusually good luck next season to even things out a little. I think we will have a good season Ben stays healthy, and I see no other reason to say otherwise. To those who think wallace was such a big loss because he had 8 touchdowns, we'll he had 8 touch downs because ben threw the ball to him , ben throws the ball to someone else and then that person will score touchdowns, simple law of physics.

JackH
04-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I think he also had more drops than all the other Steelers WRs combined, and was targeted more than everyone else combined. They tried to force feed him the ball so he could show us what he's worth. He showed us. That's why he's gone.

Mike Wallace was targeted 119 times last season. Antonio Brown 106 times and Emmanuel Sanders 74 times.

Wallace wasn't targeted any times in the last game of the season against the Browns, since he didn't play. No Steelers WR in that game had more than 2 catches or over 25 yards.

The performance of the TEs in that game was even worse. Paulson started in place of Heath and Pope played on two tight end formations. A total of 1 yard for the TEs.

So the Steelers open this season with basically the same lineup they played against the Browns in that game with respect to the receiving corp, except Spaeth or Johnson instead of Pope. Unless somebody is drafted who is better and can start from day 1.

The_Joker
04-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Compare us to other AFC teams.

We're fine. That is all.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
You're telling me 2013 is a bad year, retiring from the Air Force after 21 years and I need a job. Hell seeing the Steelers play on a consistent basis is the only bright spot now, good or bad I will root, cheer and bitch with the best of them. Here's to looking at a positive Steelers season in 2013! :tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

Steelers5895
04-07-2013, 04:07 PM

come on guys he was coming off an injury and was our starting #1 rb who was a 1st round draft pick. yes his head wasnt in the game but make no mistake about it if it was he was our starter

Steelers5895
04-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I do understand what you're saying. And when you create a thread you back it up. A lot of people just disagree. If we go out next year and play our best and stay healthy there's no reason at all to expect to play as poorly as an 8-8 team. We were headed in the right direction last year when injuries took over.

We worked through Polamalu and Harrison's injury. But the injuries to the O-line and secondary became so deep we couldn't keep up. And the killer was the injury to Roethlisberger.

thanks man! yeah i try to not always see the glass half full.

I will say the Buress signing will be a lot bigger than we all think right now.

I also like our OL. I think this may be the best one we have fielded in years if they can stay healthy and we get some depth like Legursky. young, athletic and BIG.

Having Big Ben is better than 27 other teams

The thing that bothers me is the Steelers philosophy of grooming draft picks. I rather see them start and struggle then watch old timers play and trail plays.

that is why I am not all enthused about the draft, its more for 2014.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
thanks man! yeah i try to not always see the glass half full.

I will say the Buress signing will be a lot bigger than we all think right now.

I also like our OL. I think this may be the best one we have fielded in years if they can stay healthy and we get some depth like Legursky. young, athletic and BIG.

Having Big Ben is better than 27 other teams

The thing that bothers me is the Steelers philosophy of grooming draft picks. I rather see them start and struggle then watch old timers play and trail plays.

that is why I am not all enthused about the draft, its more for 2014.

Not enthused about the draft? I am, this could be the start of something really good, all that was lost in Free Agency, this draft sets the tone for the future. The draft will tell you if the Steelers have looked to draft for future needs or if the team is willing to accept what they have and are ready to accept mediocracy for the forseen future. This draft may send alot of messages about the future, to say that you are not enthused about this draft and looking forward to 2014 is like saying you have given up on 2013 and the possibilities. Come on Dude, the season hasn't even started, as a Steeler you should look forward to the draft, hell in 1974 the Steeler fans of old didn't predict or pay close attention to the draft. If my memory serves me right at least 4 HOF'ers cam from that draft, get enthused!!!!

Buddha Bus
04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
come on guys he was coming off an injury and was our starting #1 rb who was a 1st round draft pick. yes his head wasnt in the game but make no mistake about it if it was he was our starter

I guess that was why he was riding a lot of pine at the end of the season. That's what starters usually do.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I guess that was why he was riding a lot of pine at the end of the season. That's what starters usually do.

Well Buddah, you do know, this is like hockey, there are line changes and you know Crosby should be considered in the same breath, as say Mendenhall?

Steelers5895
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM

if he was re-signed it would have been to be our starter. he was not which leaves us a vacancy at starting RB with the starter not on our roster.

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
if he was re-signed it would have been to be our starter. he was not which leaves us a vacancy at starting RB with the starter not on our roster.

Le'Veon Bell, Knile Davis, Montee Ball, Giovani Bernard or Marcus Lattimore. Take your pick.

Problem, meet solution.

teegre
04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Le'Veon Bell, Knile Davis, Montee Ball, Giovani Bernard or Marcus Lattimore. Take your pick.

Problem, meet solution.

If I may... Jon Franklin, as well.

teegre
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
The John Draft

R1: John Cooper
R2: Jon Cyprien
R3: Jon Franklin
R4: John Jenkins

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
The John Draft

:chuckle:

I wouldn't even be upset if that was our draft.

Fire Arians
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
i'll wait for a few games to be played before saying that 2013 isn't looking good. I remember 1992, we were coming off a 7-9 season with a young team, and ended up 12-4 with a #1 seed.

Let's not forget we still have #7 at QB. I'm still predicting a playoff season.

old players come and go, such is life in the NFL. next man up.

teegre
04-08-2013, 05:35 PM
i'll wait for a few games to be played before saying that 2013 isn't looking good. I remember 1992, we were coming off a 7-9 season with a young team, and ended up 12-4 with a #1 seed.

I remember the Steelers being 3-4 in October of 1994... and then, ending up in XXX.

In other words, even after a few games, my mantra will be: "It ain't over 'til it's over."

OX1947
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM

-11-5. And we got blasted by the Bills.

-#7 doesnt play 16 games a year because he doesnt know how to adjust

-Old player excuse can not be used next year. Steelers got rid of them all.

pczach
04-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Let me get this straight. So if Ben doesn't lead them to a Super Bowl victory this year, he'll be exposed as a fraud? Are you for real?

VaDave
04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Let me get this straight. So if Ben doesn't lead them to a Super Bowl victory this year, he'll be exposed as a fraud? Are you for real?

Remember now, this IS Steeler Nation after all. All the Steelers suck. Even when they win a SuperBowl, they still suck.....

OX1947
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM

No, he needs to stay on the damn field though. To me, if you are a franchise QB, you at least make the playoffs every year. Steelers have missed the playoffs 3 times. Thats unacceptable.

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 08:33 PM
No, he needs to stay on the damn field though. To me, if you are a franchise QB, you at least make the playoffs every year. Steelers have missed the playoffs 3 times. Thats unacceptable.

He was also playing with bottom of the barrel offensive linemen for the majority of his career too. Now that we've actually built a line that knows how to pass protect, he should be healthier than he has been.

That, and his improvisation leads to un-fucking-real plays like this:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/650/854/RoethlisbergerScramble_original.gif?1355705609

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
He was also playing with bottom of the barrel offensive linemen for the majority of his career too. Now that we've actually built a line that knows how to pass protect, he should be healthier than he has been.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/650/854/RoethlisbergerScramble_original.gif?1355705609

Awesome gif. No other qb could do that. Keep Big Ben healthy and we have a chance at another ring.

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Awesome gif. No other qb could do that. Keep Big Ben healthy and we have a chance at another ring.

Plays like that are why I laugh when I see guys say "I'd rather have x Quarterback over Ben". You're absolutely right - what other Quarterback could've done that? Everything broke down and he pump faked three times while juking out two 'Ends and still managed to find Miller down field.

You and Teegre are absolutely right regarding our chances if he stays healthy. A healthy Roethlisberger means we'll always have a legitimate shot at winning another Super Bowl, despite what Warren Sapp might say.

Fire Arians
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM

11-5 right my bad, still i'd say that's an awesome season coming off a bad one when expectations were low of our team that year. wouldn't you agree?

blasted by a team decked with current/future HOF'ers, as a team with little playoff experience is nothing to really be ashamed of. And as much as people clowned on the bills for never winning the big dance, they were without a doubt the best team in the AFC in the 90's

harrison'samonster
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
And as much as people clowned on the bills for never winning the big dance, they were without a doubt the best team in the AFC in the 90's

agreed. Imagine going to the SB 4 years in a row and not winning one!

Fire Arians
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I remember the Steelers being 3-4 in October of 1994... and then, ending up in XXX.

In other words, even after a few games, my mantra will be: "It ain't over 'til it's over."

i remember that season well. losing neil o'donnell and woodson early in the season was almost a backbreaker. what was impressive is how they bounced back especially the defense without woodson, i didn't think it could be done

Fire Arians
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
agreed. Imagine going to the SB 4 years in a row and not winning one!

they really should have won vs the giants, outplayed them in nearly all aspects of the game but the kicker choked on a very makeable FG

VaDave
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Man, who is that QB? Boy does he ever suck....

teegre
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM

I agree... with every once of my being.

Great post.

Fire Arians
04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Man, who is that QB? Boy does he ever suck....

I don't think there's any QB in the league who's better at 'feeling' pressure and where it's coming from than ben. dude's got eyes on the back of his head or something.

teegre
04-09-2013, 02:38 AM
The John Draft

I forgot John Simon!!!

R5: John Simon

Stairway to 7
04-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm looking at 8-8, I did not like our chances last year either, this team is still in transition.

VaDave
04-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm more of an optimist... 9-7 but no doubt we will have more than a few transitory issues. My thoughts on this in we are not doing any major tweaks system wise on either side of the ball. Those systems are in place, and when executed properly, are pretty stinking effective.

Where we are going to have issues is with depth across the board, and heaven help us if the injury bug bites us like last year. We need all 16 games out of both Ben an Troy. Tall order because I don't think we've ever got a whole year without one or the other of them getting injured and missing game time.

If our Oline stays healthy, and Gilbert can nail down the LT spot ( and I have some reservations here) and plays at least as good as Starks, we will be fine. I'm a little worried about Foster playing LG as he isn't the best pulling guard, and we run that 34 counter pike a lot, and is our bread and butter run play. Maybe either DeCastro switches sides, Beachum learns and earns the spot, or better yet, providence finds Jonathan Cooper awaiting us at pick # 17, which will give us the foundation for the best young Oline in pro football for a long time.

ebsteelers
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
the nfl is a crazy world... predictions are like poop holes everyone has em and they normally stink..

who would of thought the redskins or vikings and colts would of made the playoffs.. 3 teams that were top 6 in the draft.

steelers and giants playoff teams year before dont even make the playoffs..

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I have no problem with the house-cleaning that's going on right now and I think it's overdue.
I think that it's about time the organization let go of players that were here more because of past glory or over-hyped abilities and that the F.O. has taken a more pragmatic position and is looking towards the future rather than surrounding itself with the past. I also believe that the way in which this cleaning is being done suggests that it's with an eye towards "real-time" success instead of a wholesale rebuild and that's no easy feat.

That said, I'm thinking that we have a very good chance at a 10-6 season (give or take a game) and I think that if we find ourselves in a "must win" situation at the end of the season to squeeze out a #5 or #6 spot, that we'd have the horses to do it.

I see a bit of a sellout towards offense over defense because that's where the NFL is trending and I think that will be more obvious after the draft.

As for why this is all happening or to what extent, I'll defer to the wisdom of a franchise that's been at this for 80 years now and one that I believe has a pretty good grip on how to be successful.
Like any season, I don't expect that everything I believe should happen or hope will happen is going to come to pass.
But by the same token I have been pleasantly surprised in the past by decisions or performance that I did not expect to see at all, so as always I prefer to wait and see.

Maybe this year is an adjustment or maybe it's a cleverly disguised all-out rebuild but I know that whatever it is, it is long overdue and I'm glad it's happening.

HERE WE GO, BABY! :tt04:

OX1947
04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
the nfl is a crazy world... predictions are like poop holes everyone has em and they normally stink..

who would of thought the redskins or vikings and colts would of made the playoffs.. 3 teams that were top 6 in the draft.

steelers and giants playoff teams year before dont even make the playoffs..

Mine doesnt, I have a bidet.

BlaZeQuietly
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
I have no problem with the house-cleaning that's going on right now and I think it's overdue.
I think that it's about time the organization let go of players that were here more because of past glory or over-hyped abilities and that the F.O. has taken a more pragmatic position and is looking towards the future rather than surrounding itself with the past. I also believe that the way in which this cleaning is being done suggests that it's with an eye towards "real-time" success instead of a wholesale rebuild and that's no easy feat.

That said, I'm thinking that we have a very good chance at a 10-6 season (give or take a game) and I think that if we find ourselves in a "must win" situation at the end of the season to squeeze out a #5 or #6 spot, that we'd have the horses to do it.

I see a bit of a sellout towards offense over defense because that's where the NFL is trending and I think that will be more obvious after the draft.

As for why this is all happening or to what extent, I'll defer to the wisdom of a franchise that's been at this for 80 years now and one that I believe has a pretty good grip on how to be successful.
Like any season, I don't expect that everything I believe should happen or hope will happen is going to come to pass.
But by the same token I have been pleasantly surprised in the past by decisions or performance that I did not expect to see at all, so as always I prefer to wait and see.

Maybe this year is an adjustment or maybe it's a cleverly disguised all-out rebuild but I know that whatever it is, it is long overdue and I'm glad it's happening.

HERE WE GO, BABY! :tt04:

I think what you are trying to say is that we have in fact....nipped it in the bud:toofunny:

lasvegasguy
04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
We tried as long as possible to keep Cowher's team together so we could justify the Tomlin hiring. Now we're in deep shit with this loser at the helm and Cowher's team in shambles. I expect nothing good to come out of any future seasons under Tomlin.

pczach
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
We tried as long as possible to keep Cowher's team together so we could justify the Tomlin hiring. Now we're in deep shit with this loser at the helm and Cowher's team in shambles. I expect nothing good to come out of any future seasons under Tomlin.

You do realize we were going in the wrong direction at the end of Cowher's run here, right. This is not Cowher's team, and it hasn't been for a long time now. If it were Cowher's team, why didn't he win Super Bowls his last years here when HE was coaching them. I love The Chin, but he won 1 Super Bowl, and lost 1 Super Bowl in 15 years. He had his chance to dominate and he didn't do it. Tomlin has exactly as many Super Bowl wins and appearances as Cowher, in half the time. Let's not rewrite history here. C'mon man, a little common sense please.:doh:

SteelerEmpire
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
It's real simple. There's a term called "Fight or Flight"; we'll see if the current roster pursues the former or the latter.

vasteeler
04-09-2013, 03:32 PM

:facepalm:

OX1947
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Do some of you people know how a brain works? It's 2013. Who and why and how is Cowher involved in anything with this team and any team the last 5 years? Cowher retired in 2006. 7 years ago. Wake the hell up.

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
I think what you are trying to say is that we have in fact....nipped it in the bud:toofunny:

No, actually this situation was "budding" a couple of season's ago and now it's begun to bloom.

What I'm saying is that despite the fact that all of this should have been done a while ago, I'm glad it's happening now instead of having the F.O. wait even longer because if they waited, they'd be buying a whole new team instead of mostly just trading up.

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Whatever you do.... please, please, PLEASE do not ever exceed your 12.6666667 posts per year pace. My brain thanks you.

VaDave
04-09-2013, 04:52 PM
:facepalm:

Well said. Very well said.

FrancoLambert
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
A lot can happen between now and the start of the season.

I'm not a member of the "we're going to Super Bowl next year" contingent. Not now.
Last season I saw too much that bothered me with many areas of the team.
With players and coaching.
I can't dismiss that so easily.

And yet, we could go to the Big Game. A great draft, young players that finally show their expected value, another year with Haley, could all make things come together.

Can't go to either extreme yet....too soon.

Stangboy06
04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
How many years are left in the Rothlisberger era? That's the million-dollar question

pczach
04-11-2013, 06:28 AM
How many years are left in the Rothlisberger era? That's the million-dollar question

I don't fall with the fans here that think Big Ben only has 2-3 more good years in him. I think that if the OL improves and they can get him weapons, he can be a great player for another 5-6 years.

maddog78
04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
2013 smells like 6-10 right now. Let's see what happens in the draft. Need a day one starter or two on offense, like RB and WR. If we draft defense, don't expect them to contribute for 2-3 years.

OL needs to stay healthy. Someone should be working on their weight and conditioning. New coach likes ZBS OL, can't be 350-lbs.

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
last year smelt like 12-4..
this year smells like 4-12.

just wait until they are carry ben off in a blaze of glory.. champs

cowherpower
04-11-2013, 12:07 PM
we Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch. Colbert has always kept us relevant and competitive. There have been hiccups but this organization is THE best at weathering the storm. While I would have preferred we just did this purge last season, I get why it's enticing to try and keep the crew together for one more run. Now that that is over, we can focus on building the next great Steeler team. News Flash...2013 will NOT be that team. But with a great draft and with our hungry young players stepping it up, 2014 and beyond could be looking good. I think Allen, Ta'amu, DeCastro, Adams, and Heyward are the keys. If those guys become the next Ike, Hampton, Faneca, Smith and we draft the next generation at olb, ilb, s, wr rb over the next couple of drafts we will be reloaded for a serious run. If any of that doesn't happen we will be pretty bad for awhile

Fire Arians
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
2013 smells like 6-10 right now. Let's see what happens in the draft. Need a day one starter or two on offense, like RB and WR. If we draft defense, don't expect them to contribute for 2-3 years.

OL needs to stay healthy. Someone should be working on their weight and conditioning. New coach likes ZBS OL, can't be 350-lbs.

6-10 with big ben? come on man!

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
6-10 with big ben? come on man!

If they continue to dink-and-dunk, then yeah 6-10 is possible.

DanRooney
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
We were 8-8 last year. We lost a our best pass rusher, our best WR, our #2 corner who came into his own last year, our backup safety to Troy who solidin his void and replaced them with Plaxico Burress and William Gay. Meanwhile Heath Miller, our best player last year might not play until midseason. How is 6-10 not realistic? Is it because 4-12 might be closer to reality???

MACH1
04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
We were 8-8 last year. We lost a our best pass rusher, our best WR, our #2 corner who came into his own last year, our backup safety to Troy who solidin his void and replaced them with Plaxico Burress and William Gay. Meanwhile Heath Miller, our best player last year might not play until midseason. How is 6-10 not realistic? Is it because 4-12 might be closer to reality???

Never know they could go 15-1 or they could go 1-15 anything could happen.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Did you swallow your crystal ball again, MACH? :doh:

We need more definitive fortune tellers around here, not some half-assed hack seer like you.

MACH1
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Did you swallow your crystal ball again, MACH? :doh:

:poke: Don't poke the bear.

:moon::moon::moon:

:sofunny:

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 05:03 PM
:poke: Don't poke the bear.

:moon::moon::moon:

You Nazi mod... you're not the boss of me. :flap:

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Their best pass rusher recorded six sacks and is 35 years old. Lawrence Timmons recorded that many sacks as an inside linebacker. Their best wide receiver could only run in a straight line and dropped a lot of passes. Cortez Allen can actually force turnovers, unlike Keenan Lewis. This is a deep safety class. Heath Miller's injury, however, is a problem. As pessimistic as you seem to be about the season, I'm sure you will still be watching Steelers games this upcoming season. I'm not saying they're going to win the Super Bowl, but I think they will at least be a competitive team, and they just might make the playoffs.

MACH1
04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
You Nazi mod... you're not the boss of me. :flap:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYF2kSU_3uDMrv2wXJKwQrD8GNwELF3 SumqkkL-V6p6mfrQosP

Fire Arians
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM

we looked like a championship contender until ben had another life threatening injury. did you think he would come back 100% during the same season?

if ben gets knocked out of the season in game 4 then yeah probably 4-12, but if that doesn't happen then no.

NSMaster56
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
2013 does look 'up in the air' depending on the breaks, but 2014 looks to be the real trouble year.

That's when the contracts of: Big Ben, Brown, Timmons and Woodley increase big time and even the likes of Kiesel and Clark's contracts coming off the books won't alleviate the cap pressure.

This is the year that the 'kids' have to step up and fill the gaps created by all the veteran losses and the year that the Steelers need to NAIL a draft.

The_Joker
04-13-2013, 11:46 PM
We gotta lot of holes, given, but we're still better than most.

OX1947
04-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Im still trying to figure out where the hell all the money is with the cap if they dumped all the vets and signed no one that wanted more then 14 bucks a year.

bornaSteelersfan
04-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Im still trying to figure out where the hell all the money is with the cap if they dumped all the vets and signed no one that wanted more then 14 bucks a year.

The Steelers were already over the cap by $6 million at the end of the season. They had to cut and restructure just to get under.

cowherpower
04-14-2013, 03:48 AM

when contracts get restructured the players don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. Salary gets pushed back but in most instances becomes fully guaranteed. This is why you will often times read about teams still paying players even if they get cut or are on another team. Their money is still on the books as far as the cap goes. It's real dangerous to borrow money from tomorrow to pay for today. It seems like we did it to try and keep the SB players together for a couple more runs. I think they will be fine because there should be a few contracts that clear after 2013..but it probably means Troy is gone after this season. Hopefully we can draft and groom his replacement this year. As for the big salary jumps, that's okay as most veteran bloated contracts will have been replaced by rookies and players in their first contracts.

NSMaster56
04-14-2013, 11:37 AM

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/

lopanchein
04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
i am sooooooooooooooo certain of failure for 2013-14 season. we let talent go and signed dinosaurs to supposedly improve an 8-8 team. i understand the cap but how we let LEWIS go without a fight is beyond me? i guess william gay will fill the void left by lewis??? [sarcasm] i will officially say i have no faith in TOMLIN as a coach, he is a horrid game manager, he makes in game decisions that would make a 4th grader scratch their heads. he is loved especiially outside of pittsburgh because he is a GREAT QUOTE MACHINE for the MEDIA, he always has a quote that would make LOMBARDI proud but his ability as a coach is average at best. he took a team built by COWHER and rode them to 2 superbowl games but now his infleunce and type of personel being brought in is showing in the lackluster, ,500 records and lack of leaders in the locker room. i say this year we will fight CLEVELAND for 3rd place in our division but the steelers organization will still not fire him but this will be the beginning of the end for TOMLIN due to him being exposed as a average coach. he will be fired after the 2014-15 season but til then the fans will suffer

lopanchein
04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Their best pass rusher recorded six sacks and is 35 years old. Lawrence Timmons recorded that many sacks as an inside linebacker. Their best wide receiver could only run in a straight line and dropped a lot of passes. Cortez Allen can actually force turnovers, unlike Keenan Lewis. This is a deep safety class. Heath Miller's injury, however, is a problem. As pessimistic as you seem to be about the season, I'm sure you will still be watching Steelers games this upcoming season. I'm not saying they're going to win the Super Bowl, but I think they will at least be a competitive team, and they just might make the playoffs.

so when has MIGHT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS been acceptable in pittsburgh??

casteeler
04-14-2013, 12:24 PM
i am sooooooooooooooo certain of failure for 2013-14 season. we let talent go and signed dinosaurs to supposedly improve an 8-8 team. i understand the cap but how we let LEWIS go without a fight is beyond me? i guess william gay will fill the void left by lewis??? [sarcasm] i will officially say i have no faith in TOMLIN as a coach, he is a horrid game manager, he makes in game decisions that would make a 4th grader scratch their heads. he is loved especiially outside of pittsburgh because he is a GREAT QUOTE MACHINE for the MEDIA, he always has a quote that would make LOMBARDI proud but his ability as a coach is average at best. he took a team built by COWHER and rode them to 2 superbowl games but now his infleunce and type of personel being brought in is showing in the lackluster, ,500 records and lack of leaders in the locker room. i say this year we will fight CLEVELAND for 3rd place in our division but the steelers organization will still not fire him but this will be the beginning of the end for TOMLIN due to him being exposed as a average coach. he will be fired after the 2014-15 season but til then the fans will suffer

WOW, that's even extreme for me

Bane
04-14-2013, 12:32 PM

We're gonna go 2-6. And the Steelers will disband. And be sold to a Asian tycoon. And will be the first team of the new B-League, NFL Asia.

sluggermatt15
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM

That's very true the Steelers performed well when the team wasn't "great". In 2008, the offensive line gave up way, way, WAY too many sacks. What did the team do? They won the Super Bowl and went 12-4. So I agree when things look down, as they do right now, there is the possibility the team comes together, figures out how to play with each other, and executes very well to get the job done.

Personally, I would consider myself an optimistic Steelers fan. Yes, it's concerning with all the players we had to cut and release. But I am not sold yet that 2013 will be another "down" year. As others have pointed out, we still have the draft - where we have a variety of picks including our own + compensatory + possibly another 3rd from NE - as well as camp in the summer + preseason. I would say if the team looks TOTALLY out of sorts during preseason, then I will be a little worried. I'd rather see this team be set up with low optimism for 2013 and have them come out and blow the doors off by surprising everyone by winning, than the opposite - high expectations and being a trendy SB pick, then falling flat on their faces.

Blacksburg Zach
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM

If such an awful coach was able to take "Cowher's players" and ride them to two Super Bowls, then surely the almighty Cowher was able to make a dynasty out of these untouchable players. Let's see what "Cowher's players" did over the course of the Chin's tenure. Cowher's players:

Lost four AFC championship games. All of which were at home.
Lost Super Bowl XXX.
Missed the playoffs three consecutive years, yet Tomlin is crucified for missing the playoffs this year.
Won a Super Bowl that was remembered more for an officiating controversy than the Steelers' stellar play.
Went 8-8 right after that controversial Super Bowl season. The same record that is getting Tomlin crucified by Steelers fans, yet Cowher is deified for leaving Pittsburgh with the same record.
It took Cowher 14 seasons to win a Super Bowl. Tomlin did this in just two years, with the group of perennial choke artists known as "Cowher's players."
Since it is Super Bowl or bust in Pittsburgh, why is Cowher deified after taking 14 seasons to win a Super Bowl following almost a decade and a half of choking, yet Tomlin is crucified for taking the choking "Cowher's players" to a Super Bowl victory in just his second season?

Blacksburg Zach
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
so when has MIGHT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS been acceptable in pittsburgh??

So it was okay for Cowher to miss the playoffs for three straight years?

cowherpower
04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
If such an awful coach was able to take "Cowher's players" and ride them to two Super Bowls, then surely the almighty Cowher was able to make a dynasty out of these untouchable players. Let's see what "Cowher's players" did over the course of the Chin's tenure. Cowher's players:

Lost four AFC championship games. All of which were at home.
Lost Super Bowl XXX.
Missed the playoffs three consecutive years, yet Tomlin is crucified for missing the playoffs this year.
Won a Super Bowl that was remembered more for an officiating controversy than the Steelers' stellar play.
Went 8-8 right after that controversial Super Bowl season. The same record that is getting Tomlin crucified by Steelers fans, yet Cowher is deified for leaving Pittsburgh with the same record.
It took Cowher 14 seasons to win a Super Bowl. Tomlin did this in just two years, with the group of perennial choke artists known as "Cowher's players."
Since it is Super Bowl or bust in Pittsburgh, why is Cowher deified after taking 14 seasons to win a Super Bowl following almost a decade and a half of choking, yet Tomlin is crucified for taking the choking "Cowher's players" to a Super Bowl victory in just his second season?

where to begin? Cowher had them winning their division more often than not. He had Kordell as his QB. That guy was awful. A true coach killer and notorious choker. But whatever, it is what it is. They lost to arguably one of the most talented SB teams in history in the Cowboys and still had a chance to win that game. When he did finally get a franchise QB they got jobbed by a cheating Patriots team then followed that up w/a SB win. He had a couple of rebuilding years but people didn't lose confidence in him because they always drafted well. Those losing season were due to and aging D and no skill players. They addressed that over that period and loaded up for another run. Tomlin is not even in the same ballpark when talking about coaching prowess.

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
one thing that must be considered is the difference between building a strong team, and then building a strong team while paying a franchise QB. When Cowher had Ben, how much of the payroll was he taking up?

cowherpower
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
one thing that must be considered is the difference between building a strong team, and then building a strong team while paying a franchise QB. When Cowher had Ben, how much of the payroll was he taking up?

Very good point. But Ben's cap number hasn't been too egregious with all the restructurings. And Ben's rookie contract came before they changed the rules so even then he was getting paid like a franchise QB. Not sure if its on Tomlin or the organization as a whole but they really did extend and pretend with this roster a year or two longer than they needed to. Hopefully it's a short transition.

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 03:40 PM
After tumultuous offseason, Steelers need to recalibrate

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Steelers played salary-cap roulette once again, furiously spinning their financial wheels by reworking contract after contract to get into NFL compliance. They watched Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis and Rashard Mendenhall walk away in free agency.

They don't have a certifiable go-to receiver or a feature running back. The secondary is aging. Their former ace pass rusher, James Harrison, might oppose Ben Roethlisberger twice every season. And there are so many lineup holes, they can't possibly fill them in the upcoming draft.

And Roethlisberger, in a flashback to his rookie season of nine years ago, might find himself regularly throwing to Plaxico Burress, one of the few experienced receivers still left on the roster.

Did a team that is universally considered to be one of the NFL's best-managed falter this offseason?

“They've had some difficult decisions, and people are getting caught up in all the action,” said NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes, a longtime NFL lineman. “But they're not looking just at this year even though I know Steelers fans don't want to hear it.”

Still, multiple draft analysts give the Steelers a grade of D-minus or F in free agency, where their only pickup of note was backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

With so little coming in — although running back Ahmad Bradshaw remains an option — the Steelers might need the best draft of general manager Kevin Colbert's tenure to avoid taking a huge step back.

Asked if the Steelers are a worse team than they were when the season ended, Colbert said recently: “I think only time will tell. We'll see where that goes. ... We hope that we are a better team.”

Dukes said he believes they can't be faulted for letting Wallace walk for $60 million, or not paying Harrison, which he calls “a recalibration of a bad money year on a contract.

“I wouldn't say they're blowing the offseason,” Dukes said. “There are some organizations you question, but this would not be one of those organizations. They've got to get their house in order.”

The Steelers began last year to shed older players who command higher wages — such as James Farrior and Hines Ward and, now, Harrison — in favor of younger players who are more affordable and cap friendly.

It's a trend Dukes believes will continue.

“I don't look at what they're doing as a problem so much as it's a retooling,” he said.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/3824493-74/steelers-dukes-season#ixzz2QYTB5ccn

Bane
04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Asked if the Steelers are a worse team than they were when the season ended, Colbert said recently: “I think only time will tell. We'll see where that goes. ... We hope that we are a better team.”

Ultimate vote of confidence right there.

This offseason hurts. :banging:

BowCatShot
04-15-2013, 04:05 PM

I lived in Miami during Dan Marino's entire career. That's exactly why the Dolphins couldn't produce a winner during that time. So much of their green went to Dan that they couldn't pay for championship defense or running backs.

TheVet
04-15-2013, 04:09 PM
By Alan Robinson

With so little coming in — although running back Ahmad Bradshaw remains an option — [b]the Steelers might need the best draft of general manager Kevin Colbert's tenure to avoid taking a huge step back.

On a positive note, that shouldn't be all that difficult to achieve. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
04-16-2013, 05:37 AM
He had Kordell as his QB. That guy was awful. A true coach killer and notorious choker.

Yet he stubbornly stuck by him as "his guy" for FIVE seasons and in so doing, threw a good chunk of Bettis' prime out the window. That was on Cowher, nobody else.

He had a couple of rebuilding years but people didn't lose confidence in him because they always drafted well.

Yeah, I don't know how this franchise ever survived without the likes of Troy Edwards, Chad Scott and Jamain Stephens, I really don't. There were PLENTY of swings and misses in the draft during Cowher's tenure as well. As well as Noll's That's the nature of the beast. And as far as people not losing confidence, please, give me a break. I remember a pretty sizable and constant din of people calling for his head from around 1997 until he finally managed to win a Lombardi in 2005.

Tomlin is not even in the same ballpark when talking about coaching prowess.

Really? Point to one big game that was won as a direct result of Cowher's acumen with X's and O's and not as a result of some clichéd, flying spit, "we're gonna physically impose our will" win-one-for-the-Gipper pregame pep talk. Just one. The problem with that was against the better teams deeper in the postseason, the Steelers often couldn't simply "impose their will" on their opponent, which resulted in some pretty embarrassing AFCCG losses at home.

Exhibit A: 1994 AFC Championship Game

Bobby Ross/Stan Humphries. 'Nuff said.

Exhibit B: 1997 AFC Championship Game

Steelers ball, first and goal at the Broncos' 5, Steelers trailing by 10. Instead of giving the ball to an in-his-prime Bettis, who was handing the Broncos their asses the entire game up to that point, he instead opts to put it in "his guy" Kordell's hands, who promptly throws an interception (and the game away) into triple coverage in the end zone. Yeah, great coaching move there.

Exhibit C: 2001 AFC Championship Game

Special teams: WTF?

"His guy" Kordell: 3 more costly interceptions, 2 of them in the waning minutes trailing by a TD with a chance to at least tie the game.

While Tomlin gets so much flak for being a "rah-rah" coach and little more than an overpaid motivational speaker, the truth is Cowher operated on pretty much the same wavelength. Hate to break it to ya, but nobody is ever gonna confuse Bill Cowher with Bill Walsh.

cowherpower
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Yet he stubbornly stuck by him as "his guy" for FIVE seasons and in so doing, threw a good chunk of Bettis' prime out the window. That was on Cowher, nobody else.

Yeah, I don't know how this franchise ever survived without the likes of Troy Edwards, Chad Scott and Jamain Stephens, I really don't. There were PLENTY of swings and misses in the draft during Cowher's tenure as well. As well as Noll's That's the nature of the beast. And as far as people not losing confidence, please, give me a break. I remember a pretty sizable and constant din of people calling for his head from around 1997 until he finally managed to win a Lombardi in 2005.

Really? Point to one big game that was won as a direct result of Cowher's acumen with X's and O's and not as a result of some clichéd, flying spit, "we're gonna physically impose our will" win-one-for-the-Gipper pregame pep talk. Just one. The problem with that was against the better teams deeper in the postseason, the Steelers often couldn't simply "impose their will" on their opponent, which resulted in some pretty embarrassing AFCCG losses at home.

Exhibit A: 1994 AFC Championship Game

Bobby Ross/Stan Humphries. 'Nuff said.

Exhibit B: 1997 AFC Championship Game

Steelers ball, first and goal at the Broncos' 5, Steelers trailing by 10. Instead of giving the ball to an in-his-prime Bettis, who was handing the Broncos their asses the entire game up to that point, he instead opts to put it in "his guy" Kordell's hands, who promptly throws an interception (and the game away) into triple coverage in the end zone. Yeah, great coaching move there.

Exhibit C: 2001 AFC Championship Game

Special teams: WTF?

"His guy" Kordell: 3 more costly interceptions, 2 of them in the waning minutes trailing by a TD with a chance to at least tie the game.

While Tomlin gets so much flak for being a "rah-rah" coach and little more than an overpaid motivational speaker, the truth is Cowher operated on pretty much the same wavelength. Hate to break it to ya, but nobody is ever gonna confuse Bill Cowher with Bill Walsh.

Cowher's teams showed up to play and they knew how to hold a lead. He stuck by Kordell because he broke the mold and actually had his moments but come playoff time all good defenses had to do was stack the box to stop the run because he wasn't the best passer. He actually benched KS on a couple occasions but you can only do so much. Either the player has it or they don't. The Steelers had already invested big money in KS and so he tried to win with 'his guy" but it didn't work out. What's your point? I already explained how KS was a choker. Do you think Cowher or the Steelers knew that before they got to the Championship game but stuck with him because he was "his guy"...or do you think maybe KS was so unique and different and had produced early in his career and had gotten a big contract so...even when he struggled he had a leash to work with?

Let me get this straight...are you implying that The Steelers weren't considered among the best drafting teams during the Cowher era? That they weren't held up as the epitome of a well run franchise that knew when to part with veterans and restock through the draft? Because if you are you lost your argument right there.

Your example of KS choking somehow being on Bill is suspect too. So you are saying that Bill took over the offensive play calling and demanded they run that play because KS was "his guy"? LOL, c'mon dude. He didn't call that play and they were obviously loading the box on Bettis so the call was fine, just poor execution by KS.

I recall a few people calling for his head in the down years but very few. People could see that there was a transition happening and they were reloading. I'll take a couple subpar seasons if it means you are back in the hunt for a SB win. The difference between then and now is that our transition is just starting now it seems. Whereas under Bill I believe we'd be a year away from getting back to a SB run. At best I see 2015 before we are seriously making noise in the playoffs.

The reason we lost in the playoffs was that we were a run oriented team w/a QB that couldn't keep defenses honest. KS didn't develop like they envisioned and by the time they knew this the run was over.

and nobody said Bill was great at X and O, but at least his teams played up to their ability. At least he didn't botch simple time outs, and make boneheaded decisions. At least his players weren't considered dirty and they weren't bad citizens. He was a leader. I don't see that from Tomlin at all. It's been a rudderless team for a couple of years.

TheVet
04-17-2013, 07:53 PM
cowherpower - Hey, I like Cowher too, but you're absolutely crazy to defend him with regard to Kordell. That was a monumentally bad talent evaluation, and it was a problem that lingered for several years too long, well after the handwriting was on the wall. It essentially destroyed the team's chances for years. It was a massive mistake, and it was all on the head coach.

Blacksburg Zach
04-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Cowher's teams showed up to play and they knew how to hold a lead.

And yet Tomlin has a higher winning percentage than Cowher, despite his teams not "showing up to play." I'll give Cowher his credit for protecting leads, though.

I already explained how KS was a choker.

I agree. Kordell was a choker, but the Steelers choked in big games before Kordell Stewart, and they choked in big games after Kordell Stewart. What was the constant during that time span? Bill Cowher.

Let me get this straight...are you implying that The Steelers weren't considered among the best drafting teams during the Cowher era? That they weren't held up as the epitome of a well run franchise that knew when to part with veterans and restock through the draft? Because if you are you lost your argument right there.

So why didn't the Steelers use their supreme drafting ability to draft a franchise quarterback before 2004? Even then, BB wouldn't have been drafted if Cowher got his way with wanting to draft Shawn Andrews instead of a franchise quarterback.

Your example of KS choking somehow being on Bill is suspect too.

Again, the Steelers choked in plenty of big games both before and after the Kordell Stewart error.

I recall a few people calling for his head in the down years but very few. People could see that there was a transition happening and they were reloading. I'll take a couple subpar seasons if it means you are back in the hunt for a SB win.

So Cowher is allowed to take time to reload, but Tomlin is not?

The reason we lost in the playoffs was that we were a run oriented team w/a QB that couldn't keep defenses honest.

And that was Cowher's biggest flaw as a head coach. He thought he could win without a franchise quarterback, and he was clearly wrong about that.

at least his teams played up to their ability.

Is that why they lost four AFCCGs at home? They sure didn't play to the best of their ability against the Chargers and the immortal Stan Humphries in the '94 AFCCG. They sure didn't play their best in the '97 AFCCG when Kordell threw a back-breaking INT in the end-zone instead of giving the ball to the Bus, who was dominating that day. They definitely didn't play to the best of their ability in the '01 AFCCG against a Drew Bledsoe led Patriots team, what with the special teams gaffes, Joey Porter dropping a gimme pick-six, and Kordell throwing INTs with chances to force overtime. And they sure didn't play to the best of their ability in the '04 AFCCG, where they got clobbered by the Patriots right after they (the Steelers) did their damnedest to give the game to the Jets the week before.

At least he didn't botch simple time outs, and make boneheaded decisions.

EVERY coach makes boneheaded decisions and misuses time outs. Don't try to exclude Cowher from that.

At least his players weren't considered dirty and they weren't bad citizens.

Nope, absolutely nobody thought Hines Ward was dirty. And I'm sure not a single Steeler was arrested during Cowher's tenure.

He was a leader. I don't see that from Tomlin at all. It's been a rudderless team for a couple of years.

And yet the "rudderless" Tomlin teams have never had a losing season, but Cowher teams have. The "rudderless" Tomlin teams have never missed the playoffs three consecutive years, either.