PDA

View Full Version : My first MOCK w options

Kingmagyar
04-07-2013, 07:18 AM
My first mock with options and scenarios. Thanks to Steelers Depot for bringing some of these guys to my attention. If we lose WR Sanders to another team I like a lot of the 3rd round WRs we could get to replace him.

MY FAVORITE SCENARIO:
Slight trade down round 1 for an extra 3rd round pick.
plus lose Emanual Sanders for a third round pick Giving us (3) 3rd round picks

1 DeAndre Hopkins WR
-Might be the safest pick at WR in the first round especially with a trade down. This guy has a cocksure attitude in a way that he wants the ball and wants to make big plays.

2 Phillip Thomas S
-great ball skills for the interceptions and returns. Strong hitter can cover slot receivers. Check this guy out.

3a Corey Lemonier OLB or John Simon OLB
-Would love OLB Jamie Collins but should be a big run on 3-4 OLBs starting in the 2nd round.

3b Steadman Bailey WR (replaces Sanders)
-Reliable, big YPC average, big production. Need the depth badly. WR Ryan Swope could be a possibility but Bailey is so polished.

3c Montee Ball RB
-Quick feet. Not as tall as Le'veon Bell which is a plus and more deceptive with better feet.

4th David Quessenberry OT/G/C or Chris Falk OT
-Quessenberry would make the perfect all position backup with growth potential.

5th Zak Dysert QB
Ben's Miami of Ohio clone but needs work and development which is perfect.

6th DEs Abry Jones, Josh Boyd, Dave Kruger, or Nicholas Williams (Samford)
-Like Jones the most. Boyd would make a better 4-3 Tackle like Ziggy Hood should have been (ie not drafted by the Steelers)

6b Vince Williams ILB
-Chose over Penn State ILB Michael Mauti but could end up with both one or the other of them being an undrafted free agent signing.

7th Tanner Hawkinson OT
-Needs to develop his strength but is really active and anthletic at this point. Great for the practice squad and as a zone blocker. Currently only 3 tackles signed to team so we need the help.

Final Tallys OL 2, WR 2, ILB 1, OLB 1, QB 1, DE 1, RB 1, S 1

SCENARIO 2 : Keep WR Sanders but still do a
Slight trade down round 1 for an extra 3rd. Mostly it stays the same.

1 DeAndre Hopkins WR

2 Phillip Thomas S

3a Corey Lemonier OLB or John Simon OLB

3b Montee Ball RB

4th David Quessenberry OT/G/C or Chris Falk OT

5th Zak Dysert QB

*6th Rodney Smith WR or Corey Fuller WR
-personal pick to have a tall receiver and Smith at 6' 5" and 4.43 40 or Fuller at 6' 2" and 4.32 40 yard dash could fit the bill.

6b DEs Abry Jones, Josh Boyd, Dave Kruger, or Nicholas Williams (Samford)

7th Tanner Hawkinson OT

*Only change being not having the luxory of drafting Vince Williams and taking a late round receiver to add depth considering Sanders will be UFA next year. No Steadman Bailey pick either. Bailey or Sanders for the future? Hmmm.....

SCENARIO 3:
Straight up Draft picking at 17. no trade down.

1st Cordarrelle Patterson WR or Tavon Austin WR
-Both of these guys are incredibly explosive as WRs and in the return game. Austin would indicate still a need for some height at the postition somewhere but he could be everything the Steelers wanted out of Chris Rainey and so much more.

2nd Jonathan Franklin RB or Montee Ball RB
Franklin has lots of prodution and 4.46 speed, but Ball might be the better 3 down back.

3rd JJ Wilcox S
-lots of upside. spent time on offense. good ball skills, leaping , and what the steelers like a big hitter to stop the run.

4th John Simon OLB
-hope he slides to the 4th. Lemonier and a lot more will already be gone.

5th Zak Dysert QB

6th Rodney Smith WR or Corey Fuller WR

6b DEs Abry Jones, Josh Boyd, Dave Kruger, or Nicholas Williams (Samford)

7th Tanner Hawkinson OT

The Steelers probably won't double dip at WR if they keep Sanders, but he could be gone after this year and how much would you pay him to be a 3rd anyway with a number one pick waiting to go.

Any comments or suggestions or your preferences to multiple choices I have would be appreciated. Thanks.

gibster
04-07-2013, 09:59 AM
JARVIS JONES ? if he is there at 17 and he may be

harrison'samonster
04-07-2013, 11:28 AM
a lot of good picks there!

Kingmagyar
04-07-2013, 07:03 PM
JARVIS JONES ? if he is there at 17 and he may be

Some draft experts are predicting even a bigger fall for Jones into the 2nd round possibly. Longtime NFL scout and draft report expert Dave-Te Thomas* said he is really lazy in his work habits and practices and would set a really bad example on a team. Also Georgia's defense was actually awful giving up close to 400 yards a game. His numbers are great but that spinal injury too is a concern.

*Dave-Te’ Thomas is a sports writer, talent evaluator and scouting personnel consultant for a majority of teams in the National Football League. Thomas also coordinates scouting services for Major League Baseball, National Hockey League and National Basketball Association organizations.

Dave-Te’ runs a scouting information service called NFL Scouting Services and produces THE NFL Draft Report.

If you want to hear his talk with Steelers Depot which was a real eye opener in regards to his opinions on a lot of players including his own 7 round Steeler mock click on this link

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/the-terrible-podcast-talking-steelers-draft-draft-prospects-with-scout-dave-te-thomas-episode/

kan_t
04-08-2013, 03:35 AM
The Steelers sure did their study on Jarvis Jones. So we will know if they think Jones is lazy like Dave-Te’ Thomas thinks of him (assume that he does fall to #17).

CanuckCurtain
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
In that podcast from steelersdepot link Dave-Te’ Thomas was asked top 5 guys Steelers should pick in round one....Eddy Lacey...and after he talked about the 5 he came back with his top 2 and first off again was Lacey...is there something i dont understand...seems like a waste of our first round:noidea:

Kingmagyar
04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
In that podcast from steelersdepot link Dave-Te’ Thomas was asked top 5 guys Steelers should pick in round one....Eddy Lacey...and after he talked about the 5 he came back with his top 2 and first off again was Lacey...is there something i dont understand...seems like a waste of our first round:noidea:

I guess he feels Lacy is a step above the rest of the pack and he probably is in a lot of ways. That size of his, with quick feet and some speed to get outside. The Steelers may feel he is a young Jerome Bettis. One mock has the Steelers taking him all the way down into the second round. Now that would be great. In my mock above I have them taking a similar style back in Montee Ball in the 3rd.

One thing for sure if the team likes Lacy trade down in the round and get an extra pick at least in the 3rd.

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
looks like losing Sanders is out, and trading picks is unlikely (but possible). I don't personally see us going WR in the first. I don't really like think Simon is what we need either. You might be spot on with the RB in the second, especially if we don't sign Bradshaw