PDA

View Full Version : draft day disappointments? cut rookies

tony hipchest
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
we all knew it would be tough for all our draft picks to make the team. o. jacobs, o. harris, davis and humes, may all get beat out for a spot.

i wouldve like to have seen the steelers package these late round pick for michael robinson who seems to be having a good camp with the 49ers. he couldve effectively been a 3rd string qb (we may go into the season with just 2) and effective replacement for el in the return game or gadget plays, and an effective 3rd or 4th string running back. all with just 1 roster spot.

BlackNGold203
08-22-2006, 12:23 PM
we all knew it would be tough for all our draft picks to make the team. o. jacobs, o. harris, davis and humes, may all get beat out for a spot.

i wouldve like to have seen the steelers package these late round pick for michael robinson who seems to be having a good camp with the 49ers. he couldve effectively been a 3rd string qb (we may go into the season with just 2) and effective replacement for el in the return game or gadget plays, and an effective 3rd or 4th string running back. all with just 1 roster spot.

Good point Tony...albeit hindsight....

The Steelers...for as long as I can remember...have cherished their draft picks...and rarely have traded them...except for Bettis (uh...nice move...) or traded them to move up or down...

Every draft is a crapshoot....this one looks like it could pay off with Holmes, Smith, and Reid...if you can get 3 long term solutions from a draft...I have to think it would be considered a successful one....just my opinion...

:cool: :cool:

Hawk Believer
08-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Any tight ends in your castoffs?:rolleyes: We're running a little short handed out here.

Steelillini
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
very funny Hawk...............as was said each draft is a crapshoot. I firmly believe that if you can get 2 picks to have good careers and 2 picks to contribute something (playing for at least 5 years) then you have had a great draft.

tony hipchest
08-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Any tight ends in your castoffs?:rolleyes: We're running a little short handed out here.actually yes, davis is on the bubble to make a spot (te from perdue). i think he atleast sticks on the practice squad though.

Jeremy
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
It wasn't that long ago that everyone was singing the praises of Orien Harris (some called him the steal of the whole draft) and Omar Jacobs. Now reality is setting in and people are coming to realize that it's hard for anyone beyond the first 2-3 rounds to make a good football team.

SteelCzar76
08-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Well,... like BlackandGold said,....hindsight. Santonio, Reid and Smith will likely produce sooner than later. That being said,..... i would'nt give up on Jacobs or Harris just yet. As far as the other's,...i had absolutly no expectations for anyway. Granted,....i do think Mike Lorello has got a Steeler heart and mindset.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Midnightwriter07
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I though harris was prolly going to make it ... along with Smith Reid and Holmes and possibly Humes as well. that would be 5 .. Jacobs i dont like anyway and didnt like pick but all in all i think we had a good draft and might possibly keep 5 with a few that we dont keep making the practive squad.. I think that we may keep more than other temas out there .

LambertIsGod58
08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Smith and Holmes are for real...two areas where we needed the help!

Dook
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Reid is another pleasant surprise and may just turn out to be more valuable than Holmes.

dhosmer
08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
why is it that everyone thinks that omar is getting cut?

Midnightwriter07
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
cause he hasnt looked very good and i think Cowher said that neither has impressed him much. I am guess they will keep 1 of them on practice squad and go with 2

Livinginthe past
08-23-2006, 01:13 AM
If Omar gets cut (which i dont think he will) then it would represent a fairly large misjudgement from the Steelers draft team.

Surely a guy like Omar is a project, isn't he in a similar mold to Vince Young ( a top round pick who wont be NFL ready for another 3 years?)

If they werent willing to wait a year or two for him to develop - then why select him at all.?

Not logical.

NM

Mosca
08-23-2006, 08:20 AM
The only way Jacobs would get cut is if the coaches think he is actually INCAPABLE of learning the offense, that he isn't intelligent enough to learn and apply it, or if his personal makeup is such that he WON'T learn it (ie, partying all night instead of studying the playbook). I don't see that happening, he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has without the tools. He's probably overwhelmed for now, but not incapable. I see him on the practice squad, Ben and Batch on game day with Ward as third-string game emergency guy, and Jacobs getting activated the following week in that instance.

Tom

HometownGal
08-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Reid is another pleasant surprise and may just turn out to be more valuable than Holmes.

Very possible, Dook. Reid has looked darned good out there, no doubt about it. Holmes is coming along well, too, I believe. I don't see the Steelers cutting Omar - he has a lot to learn yet, not doubt, but I do see some real talent in that kid, along with pocket poise which Boyd simply didn't have. He's a keeper in my book. :cool:

BlackNGold203
08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
If Omar gets cut (which i dont think he will) then it would represent a fairly large misjudgement from the Steelers draft team.

Surely a guy like Omar is a project, isn't he in a similar mold to Vince Young ( a top round pick who wont be NFL ready for another 3 years?)

If they werent willing to wait a year or two for him to develop - then why select him at all.?

Not logical.

NM

jacobs isnt going anywhere..they invested a draft pick in him...he's staying

TasmanianTroy271
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Yea, If the Steelers invest a Draft Pick in you, unless you're looking really bad, chances are you'll stay for at least a year. And considering how big the Transition from college QB to NFL QB is, I think they'll give the kid at least a year to learn the offense. I don't remember, but in the preseason games when ben was drafted, how great did he look? I'm sure he didn't march right down the field with the third team offense and score a touchdown. But when he came in he looked great. Only time will tell.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Harris & Jacobs will both be kept....Jacobs because they werent expecting miracles from him this year and will give him time to mature into the system...Harris will stay because they are beginning to see that he is a natural DT...not a DE. It will also take Harris time to learn. I dont see any Fred Gibsons in this group.

BigDude66687
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Harris at this point is having a better preseason than nua,

Jacobs isnt gonna go newhere

Humes and Phillips might be on their way out htouh

Davis is 50/50

Lyn
08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
You don't think Omar jacobs wil pan out? why? Just curious:)

RoethlisBURGHer
08-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't see Jacobs being cut at all this year.

You gotta remember,he's playing with the third string offense,not the first string.If he was playing with all the first stringers he's definatly look better.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
It wasn't that long ago that everyone was singing the praises of Orien Harris (some called him the steal of the whole draft) and Omar Jacobs. Now reality is setting in and people are coming to realize that it's hard for anyone beyond the first 2-3 rounds to make a good football team.

Yes it's hard but it has been done. And they are all important players.

Fourth Round: Aaron Smith, Deshea Townsend, Larry Foote
Fifth Round: Clark Haggans, Verron Haynes
Seventh Round: Brett Keisel

Like Steelillini said you get two eventual starters from each draft then you're doing well. Get three and it's great.

AND "If Omar gets cut (which i dont think he will) then it would represent a fairly large misjudgement from the Steelers draft team."

WHY? He was a FIFTH round pick. This statement sounds like a search to bash Colbert/Cowher.

James Harrison went undrafted. Was cut twice. Stuck with it. And just signed a new deal and will start at least a few games this season. Making the 53-man roster for Miami is a business and not indicative of future circumstances. Keeping Jacobs on the roster for the Miami game doesn't make any sense or does it make the Steelers any better. Unless he's willing to play special teams then he is a liability. Or he can somehow prove that he can learn the offense in the next two weeks. I'm guessing No.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Smith is UNREAL. Holmes is showing up but he is a first rounder so it's expected to some degree.

But Reid is a pleasant surprise. What impresses me most is how well he performs in traffic. He not only seems fearless and reliable but if we had a third string QB his numbers would be much higher.

If only these three are on the roster for the next 3-4 years then we had a great draft.

SteelCzar76
08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't see Jacobs being cut at all this year.

You gotta remember,he's playing with the third string offense,not the first string.If he was playing with all the first stringers he's definatly look better.

Exactly.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
He still doesnt look good, not just in the games but nor the practices ( from what i read, not a first hand account in practice) i think is the point. Cut his ass and put him on practice squad .. maybe a year of that will help out and then he can go over to NFL Europe and play anf get better and try again next year... Never know ... something could happen to Batch or Ben and he will get called up some like St Pierre did

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 05:51 PM
And i dont think there was any misjudgement on any of the players the Steelers took.. we are loaded with vets and recent draft picks at most positions. We needed definately to fill the role of WR.... everything else was for the most part a luxery .. Smith was a nice nab.. but past the 3rd round.. just as next year ... will be trying to find a few gems like we always do. Some are obviously not gonan work out, not because they are aweful but hardto find room for them.

SteelCzar76
08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
He still doesnt look good, not just in the games but nor the practices ( from what i read, not a first hand account in practice) i think is the point. Cut his ass and put him on practice squad .. maybe a year of that will help out and then he can go over to NFL Europe and play anf get better and try again next year... Never know ... something could happen to Batch or Ben and he will get called up some like St Pierre did

LOL,...give the Kid the chance Knight. He's got a lot on his plate right now. But,... he does have the appetite to finish. Once he's acclimated and comfortable with the playbook,....he can just play,....without overthinking things. Then you will begin to see the skills that made him so impressive at the collegiate level.

Livinginthe past
08-23-2006, 05:58 PM
So if the Steelers are so 'loaded' why didnt they package the lower round picks that they clearly dont need and pick up one player who is a better bet to make the 53?

I think peoples views of what a rookie QB should be able to do are colored by what Ben has achieved - guys like him come round once in a long while.

Even high round picks look awful when they first start out - Eli Manning, Alex Smith, but they have alot of info to assimilate - then the game gets 'slower' for them and their natural talent can come to the fore.

NM

SteelCzar76
08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
So if the Steelers are so 'loaded' why didnt they package the lower round picks that they clearly dont need and pick up one player who is a better bet to make the 53?

I think peoples views of what a rookie QB should be able to do are colored by what Ben has achieved - guys like him come round once in a long while.

Even high round picks look awful when they first start out - Eli Manning, Alex Smith, but they have alot of info to assimilate - then the game gets 'slower' for them and their natural talent can come to the fore.

NM

Good insight,...i must (dare i say it ?),...agree with a Pat. (LOL )
Real talk though,...we even handled Ben becoming the Starter with "Kid Gloves" (so to speak). Ben has natural athletic talent and courage that can't be taught. But he was raw as a passer and having to "learn on the fly" as well. But we played consevative (ie running the ball) and not asking for him to win games,...as much as make good decisions. This is a very good TEAM. And a great deal of Ben's success as a starter is because of this fact. Don't get me wrong he's very good and potentialy GREAT. But i think some of us blow thing's out of proportion in regards to Ben's stature as just simply a QB,.....not a Steeler.
I understand this though,....i (as well as many here) suffered terribly through the Bubby/ Kordell years,...and so many of us are happy to have a franchise Stud at the position.

In regards to us not packaging picks,.....well that's just buisness. Your coming off a World Championship with your core intact. Your thinking about that core's future status,....you gotta watch that "overhead".

SteelCzar76
08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
And i dont think there was any misjudgement on any of the players the Steelers took.. we are loaded with vets and recent draft picks at most positions. We needed definately to fill the role of WR.... everything else was for the most part a luxery .. Smith was a nice nab.. but past the 3rd round.. just as next year ... will be trying to find a few gems like we always do. Some are obviously not gonan work out, not because they are aweful but hardto find room for them.

Your right Knight we do have the "Luxury" of Drafting STEELERS,.....as oppossed to just going after the "Sexy Pick"

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I dont think anyone has misgivings about QB's as draft picks expected to be like Ben because of ben's success. I dont like Jacobs and is just my opinon and i think we would be better served to put him on practice squad and then NFL Europe. He needs work ( IF we keep him over Boyd ) I am saying both QB's dont look good.. Is not just my opinion, the coaching staff apparently doesnt think too much of them either so i cant be real far off. The only positive is that Boyd can run pretty well. and yes, we do have that luxury of not needing to fill too many holes starter wise or backup wise since hardly lost anyone so that makes it very slim pickins as to how many new guys are going to make the team that we drafted. That is a definate luxury in my book compared to most teams in the league, especially coming off a great season.

SteelCzar76
08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I dont think anyone has misgivings about QB's as draft picks expected to be like Ben because of ben's success. I dont like Jacobs and is just my opinon and i think we would be better served to put him on practice squad and then NFL Europe. He needs work ( IF we keep him over Boyd ) I am saying both QB's dont look good.. Is not just my opinion, the coaching staff apparently doesnt think too much of them either so i cant be real far off. The only positive is that Boyd can run pretty well. and yes, we do have that luxury of not needing to fill too many holes starter wise or backup wise since hardly lost anyone so that makes it very slim pickins as to how many new guys are going to make the team that we drafted. That is a definate luxury in my book compared to most teams in the league, especially coming off a great season.

Who say's the coaches don't think much of Omar Knight ?(Don't let the P.C. quotes get things twisted) They have a pretty good grasp on whom is fit to make the final 53. I understand your apprehension,....but look at it objectively,.. Jacobs has NO expierience at any level above college,....but yet has the physical and mental tools. I'm curious to know your rationale for not liking Jacobs (specific's) or even Boyd for that matter ?

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 11:03 PM
umm that is what Cowher said .. he said neither of them have done anything to impress him any... that was a quote, i dont have the article on hand though.. i read in Post Gazette.. otherwise i would not have said Cowher hasnt been impressed

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 11:05 PM
soo that is why i personally dont think they will keep them and we will go with two and one will be on practice squad. That is only my opinion.. I am sure like Boyd and others like jacobs.. I just dont like either one.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-24-2006, 12:15 AM
LOL,...give the Kid the chance Knight. He's got a lot on his plate right now. But,... he does have the appetite to finish. Once he's acclimated and comfortable with the playbook,....he can just play,....without overthinking things. Then you will begin to see the skills that made him so impressive at the collegiate level.

Yes and no. Keeping him with the organization to give him a chance yes. Keeping him on the 53-man roster in two weeks...I'm leaning no. He can't contribute. Unless a string of 3-and-outs or worse interceptions can keep us in the game.

Bowling Green doesn't exactly face the most imposing defenses in the country. Sure I'd like to give him the time he needs but on the practice squad - unless he proves otherwise in the next two weeks.

The 53 on the roster need to contribute, be ready to contribute or be protected from going elsewhere. That's it. Is Omar in the latter category? He has two weeks left to prove it.