PDA

View Full Version : why do we still have this man on the team?

IamTheSteelGod
04-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Polamalu's games have dwindled along with the turnovers. He has only had one full season in the past four years. Since 2009, Polamalu has played in 42 games and has missed 22.

2012 PIT 34 1.0 0 1
2011 PIT 64 1.0 0 2
2010 PIT 49 1.0 1 7

for the last 3 seasons he has done nothing as you can see. He is never there when needed. He doesnt even have that same game changing fear factor. He is more than a shadow of his former self. I wouldnt mind but ghe is very expensive against the cap. Key players last year took a cut and he didnt. James Harrison got released and he was alot more productive.

I think its time to let go. Before its way to late.

Millers the sh!t
04-09-2013, 06:28 AM
I agree about silver back. I think he still has productivity. It's a shame that they couldn't work out a deal and it's an even bigger shame that the front office said they wouldn't even take Harrison back if he doesn't end up with another team. As far as pollamalu, I think this is his final chance to remain a steeler. If he goes down for half the seAson or moreagain I think they'll let him go. The man deserves another chance and let's face it, who we gonna grab that would be better than having troy. Tomlin sucks at getting the most out of his players so well just have another sub par player/s on our team instead of troy.

vasteeler
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
the last few games of the season troy started to look like troy again. hopefully he can train properly in the off season and go into next year stronger and healthier. i do agree though, if he misses a significant amount of playing time this year than it might be time to release him:crying01:

pete74
04-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I agree. Troy is way to overpaid for his production. Everyone wants to live in the past and on what he did before but I can't justify paying him that much money when he only plays 11-12 games a year and is usually injured half of them. He is my all time favorite Steeler but it's time to move on. We could of used that money to sign Dumervil and another Safety

VaDave
04-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Using a cliché from boxing, " Da guyz one punch from Queersville".......

Troy has been on thin ice ( concussions) since he's been on the team, and he STILL leads with his head, as opposed to making sound form tackles, where the head is to the side, wrap up and lift diving the shoulders in to the ball carrier. It's ticking time bomb., Sadly, without divine intervention, he's going to be one of these guys donating his brain to science in about 20 years.

Lately he's had leg issues, primarily involving the Achilles tendon, that has slowed him down a bit, but significantly reduced his effective range. I'll agree towards the end of last year his play improved a great deal, but make no mistake, that was not the vintage 2005 Troy Palamalu we were seeing out there.

So why is this guy still on the team? Mainly because for whatever it is worth, or whatever Troy is worth, we are a better defense when he's in there, even if it's only 9-10 games a year. I think the million dollar question, or the $12+ million a year question, are we getting a good value?

Apparently the FO feels it is. We got some young players coming along, Golden, Vandyke, Victorian, young vets, Allen and Brown, and of course Clark. Clark even though he had a monster year back there in 2013, more than likely will be gone for 2014. If I were a betting man, we are going to draft at least one safety this year.

This means whoever is back there with Troy is either going to be Golden who will be a 3rd year player, and we all know what happens to 3yr players when their rookie contract is up, a draft pick from this year or the next. FO wants veteran presence.

Frankly, I'm thinking that Troy plays out his contract and rides of into the sunset as one of the best Steelers ever to play the game. He is a once in a lifetime talent. Enjoy what's left of him.

TRH
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
the last few games of the season troy started to look like troy again. hopefully he can train properly in the off season and go into next year stronger and healthier. i do agree though, if he misses a significant amount of playing time this year than it might be time to release him:crying01:

Well, he wasn't quite looking like the Troy of old completely - the attitude and head was there - but the playmaking ability was not.

The only reason i can come up with that he's still here is the combination of him being a leader of sorts and his stellar, legendary type of career. Even if its the right thing to do, it's hard for the team & city to part with him.

teegre
04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
People always complain about these contracts. But, when the players pushed their salary back, and thus, were only earning $3 million per year, no one was complaining then.

I see it time & time again. A player signs a $6 million/year contract, but then... the team asks them to push back their salary to the end of the contract. So, the player plays for $3 million/year (while going to Pro Bowls). Then, a few years later, when the player is "less effective", fans scream that he's overpaid, because he's now being paid $9 million/year.

If these players hasn't pushed back some salary, many other players would have been let go (Timmons, Heath)... and everyone would have been calling the players greedy. Nope, they helped keep the core together... and still, people complain.

I understand that tough decisions eventually need to be made (someone HAS to be cut), but cutting a player is much different than "bashing" a player. It seems that instead of simply seeing a player get cut, fans feel the need to call them greedy and/or say that the players are stealing money. Look at the disdain for Harrison... who did nothing except want to play for the contract that the team agreed to pay him. And now, this same ire is focused on Troy.

Simply, the players can't win.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM
cutting a player is much different than "bashing" a player. It seems that instead of simply seeing a player get cut, fans feel the need to call them greedy and/or say that the players are stealing money.

or call them fat and lazy like Hampton. i'm always surprised at some of the wording ppl use, I guess they've been waiting years to see a succesful player fall so they can all swarm in and attack?

Steeldude
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Woodley is far worse than Polamalu. The entire cap is ruined because of that ridiculous contract. They should have let him walk instead of signing him.

Bane
04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
BECAUSE HIS HAIR IS WONDERFUL.

At least give me a lock before leaving, Troy.

vasteeler
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Woodley is far worse than Polamalu. The entire cap is ruined because of that ridiculous contract. They should have let him walk instead of signing him.

that we can agree on

OX1947
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I wonder if they are saying the same stuff about JPP in New York?

SteelersCanada
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3tsxjt.jpg

Bane
04-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Lmfao, that got me.

Lokki
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Why does it have to be a bunch of white guys beating a brown horse?!!

http://cdn2.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1229/troll_2956879_thumb.jpg

Vis
04-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Why does it have to be a bunch of white guys beating a brown horse?!!

http://cdn2.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1229/troll_2956879_thumb.jpg

Stormtroopers are blue under the armor.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
People always complain about these contracts. But, when the players pushed their salary back, and thus, were only earning $3 million per year, no one was complaining then.

I see it time & time again. A player signs a $6 million/year contract, but then... the team asks them to push back their salary to the end of the contract. So, the player plays for $3 million/year (while going to Pro Bowls). Then, a few years later, when the player is "less effective", fans scream that he's overpaid, because he's now being paid $9 million/year.

If these players hasn't pushed back some salary, many other players would have been let go (Timmons, Heath)... and everyone would have been calling the players greedy. Nope, they helped keep the core together... and still, people complain.

I understand that tough decisions eventually need to be made (someone HAS to be cut), but cutting a player is much different than "bashing" a player. It seems that instead of simply seeing a player get cut, fans feel the need to call them greedy and/or say that the players are stealing money. Look at the disdain for Harrison... who did nothing except want to play for the contract that the team agreed to pay him. And now, this same ire is focused on Troy.
Simply, the players can't win.

yup, and all the organization wanted to do is have troy and harrison play for the amount of money that was given to them . problem is troy has miss 1/3 of the games the last 3 years and harrison took off the majority of last year.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
or call them fat and lazy like Hampton. i'm always surprised at some of the wording ppl use, I guess they've been waiting years to see a succesful player fall so they can all swarm in and attack?

'real' fans know what a physical specimen casey was and how he always came into camp in shape:banging:

fansince'76
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
'real' fans know what a physical specimen casey was and how he always came into camp in shape:banging:

Yes, lord knows how absolutely ripped the typical 3-4 NT is... :rolleyes:

Vis
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM

round is a shape

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes, lord knows how absolutely ripped the typical 3-4 NT is... :rolleyes:

so NT's are typically fat?

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
these players are required to have size and take up space. it's hard enough keeping your weight in check when you're trying to be thin. Try staying in shape when your paid to be large.

Hampton was the perfect player and teammate for the Steelers over the years and the fact that the most anybody has to say about him is he is fat is pretty shitty.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
these players are required to have size and take up space. it's hard enough keeping your weight in check when you're trying to be thin. Try staying in shape when your paid to be large.

Hampton was the perfect player and teammate for the Steelers over the years and the fact that the most anybody has to say about him is he is fat and has been pretty shitty the last few years.

i agree

fansince'76
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
so NT's are typically fat?

No, of course not...

http://helmet2helmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/haloti-ngata.jpg

http://www.doublecoveragesisters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bj-raji-c9004d8c4a57d820.jpg

http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wilfork.jpg

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
No, of course not...

http://helmet2helmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/haloti-ngata.jpg

http://www.doublecoveragesisters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bj-raji-c9004d8c4a57d820.jpg

http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wilfork.jpg

so then calling casey fat is accurate.......

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
sloppy joe, shouldn't you be under a bridge waiting for a goat to try and cross?

desertsteel
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Polamalu's games have dwindled along with the turnovers. He has only had one full season in the past four years. Since 2009, Polamalu has played in 42 games and has missed 22.

2012 PIT 34 1.0 0 1
2011 PIT 64 1.0 0 2
2010 PIT 49 1.0 1 7

for the last 3 seasons he has done nothing as you can see. He is never there when needed. He doesnt even have that same game changing fear factor. He is more than a shadow of his former self. I wouldnt mind but ghe is very expensive against the cap. Key players last year took a cut and he didnt. James Harrison got released and he was alot more productive.

Dude this post may go down as the idiot post of the offseason. Do you realize that one of the seasons that you say TP did nothing that he was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year?!?! You leave me speechless.

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Dude this post may go down as the idiot post of the offseason. Do you realize that one of the seasons that you say TP did nothing that he was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year?!?! You leave me speechless.

Yeah, but he should have been Defensive Player of the Decade.

I'm sick of his slacking. :headshake:

desertsteel
04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah, but he should have been Defensive Player of the Decade.

I'm sick of his slacking. :headshake:

Hahaha... Yes.... well if he had limited his argument to the past two years he may have had some credibility, but he lost every shred of it when he included 2010... :banging:

nick5574
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Troy has been unlucky with injuries. He has shown that when he is healthy he is a game changer. He definitely deserves another year to show that when healthy he is a valuable part of this defense.

Millers the sh!t
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

They actually tried letting Woodley walk but that would have required him putting effort into standing up and walking off Steelers property. They realized that signing him for five years was the quicker route in dismissing him.

Hawaii 5-0
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
so then calling casey fat is accurate.......

pretty much...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0048azFdfu9ZD/340x.jpg

BlaZeQuietly
04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I remember when I used to prefer to watch the steelers play defense instead of offense just because of troy, well not anymore, he is simply not as fast as he used to be, and he almost never plays. Maybe he over exerted himself for the years while it appears he his flying around on the field like superman. All he is, is one of the last aging members of our team, so he sticks out like a sore thumb. We will probably look for his successor in the draft, it doesnt look like he is going to have a very long career unfortunately, and I also would have rather kept harrison.

Steelers5895
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
This is the off season in 3 or 4 years where he didn't go onto the off season needing surgery or nursing an injury. I am hoping for big things but if he can't make it through the season it has to be his lady season

desertsteel
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
This is the off season in 3 or 4 years where he didn't go onto the off season needing surgery or nursing an injury. I am hoping for big things but if he can't make it through the season it has to be his lady season

I'm pretty sure he's made changes to his offseason training regimen as well. He's a smart player who will make adjustments. The question is, can he overcome losing a step?

casteeler
04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
I remember when I used to prefer to watch the steelers play defense instead of offense just because of troy, well not anymore, he is simply not as fast as he used to be, and he almost never plays. Maybe he over exerted himself for the years while it appears he his flying around on the field like superman. All he is, is one of the last aging members of our team, so he sticks out like a sore thumb. We will probably look for his successor in the draft, it doesnt look like he is going to have a very long career unfortunately, and I also would have rather kept harrison.

I'm with ya. Watching the Steelers confuse and then pummel teams was a joy. The Steelers are looking for someone in the draft to become the new playmaker on defense to replace guys like Troy and Harrison. Troy holds a special place in Steeler fans hearts and he is also a player that comes up in conversation with football fans of other teams as 'that guy with the long hair' (whose name is mispronounced more often than not) that people really enjoy watching. Sadly his age and injuries have made him a waste of money for 90% of the season but he can still make an amazing play or two and surprise most of us!:thumbsup:

PhantomJB93
04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
The past 2 seasons he hasn't done anything, yes, but you're really going to include his 7-pick DPOY 2010 season in your argument dude? Why didn't you just say he's sucked for two seasons instead of three, because that's just not true?

VaDave
04-10-2013, 07:15 AM

A classic!!

ImmortalStyle
04-11-2013, 04:17 AM
The past 2 seasons he hasn't done anything, yes, but you're really going to include his 7-pick DPOY 2010 season in your argument dude? Why didn't you just say he's sucked for two seasons instead of three, because that's just not true?

+1 Anything OP stated after that idiotic statement was rendered irrelevant because I stopped reading.

pczach
04-11-2013, 04:23 PM
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadh orse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:: deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadho rse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::d eadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhor se:

steelbelieve
04-11-2013, 10:34 PM

2012 PIT 34 1.0 0 1
2011 PIT 64 1.0 0 2
2010 PIT 49 1.0 1 7

because every time he's in there, he fundamentally changes an offensive strategy and makes coordinators work a lot of late nights to account for him on every play. I get what you're saying but Troy's still got plenty of game and is not done yet.

IowaSteeler927
04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
This is obviously Troy's make or break season. I say if he doesn't get it done this year they should give him the boot. It's killing us when he's hurt and we've got crap depth at the Safety position. I love Troy, he's one of my favorite Steelers of all time, I think most would say the same about him, but it just feels like he's off the field more than he's on it and when he is on the field he seems like he's lost a step IMO. I was always a huge Bob Sanders fan being that he played for my Hawks but besides his one DPOY season he was made of porcelain and broke every time he hit something. Polamalu looks to be having some of the same issues as of late. I do honestly hope though that Troy can get in a full healthy season and show everyone he's got a little something left in the tank, I'd love to see him prove his doubters wrong.

OliverPoop
04-14-2013, 04:25 PM
because every time he's in there, he fundamentally changes an offensive strategy and makes coordinators work a lot of late nights to account for him on every play. I get what you're saying but Troy's still got plenty of game and is not done yet.

That's just something the sports media wants you to believe. I have my doubts coordinators are scared to death of him anymore.

NSMaster56
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Based on the cap numbers publicly available and Troy's injury history (and personal sense of pride), it's doubtful he's a Steeler beyond 2013 (same for Ike).

Ala the Ravens/Ray/Reed, it would be nice to send him out on top.