PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin added to Competition Committee

Vis
04-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Head coach Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers has been named to the NFL Competition Committee by Commissioner Roger Goodell, the NFL announced today.

Tomlin was named the 16th head coach in franchise history on January 22, 2007. Hired at the age of 34, Tomlin has compiled a 68-36 record in his six seasons, leading the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances.

Tomlin became the youngest head coach in NFL history to both coach in and win a Super Bowl when he led the Steelers to a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.

“Coach Tomlin will bring additional strength to the committee from the coaching perspective,” Goodell said. “Mike has strong, perceptive views about the game and is effective in expressing them. We look forward to his contributions to the committee’s ongoing mission to improve the game.”

Tomlin, who has served on the Coaches Subcommittee of the Competition Committee since 2009, fills the position on the committee held through the 2012 season by former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

“I am humbled and honored to be selected to the Competition Committee by Commissioner Goodell,” Tomlin said. “I am excited for the opportunity to help maintain and strengthen the NFL game, and I look forward to contributing any way that I can.”

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
way to go coach tomlin!

Vis
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
He will soon unleash hell in the halls of power

lasvegasguy
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I guess the NFL thought they needed more blacks on the committee? Tomlin has really benefited from his "blackness." First, the Steeler job now he competition committee. Maybe now he can learn the game because on the sidelines he looks completely lost.

Vis
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I guess the NFL thought they needed more blacks on the committee? Tomlin has really benefited from his "blackness." First, the Steeler job now he competition committee. Maybe now he can learn the game because on the sidelines he looks completely lost.

I have no words for this swill

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I guess the NFL thought they needed more blacks on the committee?

I'm sure that was it. good point. thanks for the contribution :jerkit:

Lokki
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM

http://craphound.com/images/judgequotessandler.jpg
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/billy_madison_principal_no_points_mercy_soul_movie _image_01.jpg

lasvegasguy
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. Tomlin is an ass clown who rose to fame on a stupid rule.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. Tomlin is an ass clown who rose to fame on a stupid rule.

calling yourself a messenger would indicate that you have a message. what you have is bullshit.

Vis
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM

That's not a message, it's a baseless presumption born of bad chemicals in your brain. Ron Rivera had already been interviewed when Tomlin had his initial interview. Search inside yourself for the reason for your factually incorrect ASSumption.

(Let me add that it's the assumption which is objectionable, not the rule itself. If Tomlin had been the first minority interview it still would not mean that race had anything to do with his hiring. He simply impressed the Rooney's more than the others.)

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
goodell must have wanted another 'yes' man on his committee

Fire Haley
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
pretty funny that they kicked The Whiz off the committee and Tomlin took his place

Vis
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
pretty funny that they kicked The Whiz off the committee and Tomlin took his place

Can you be on it if you're an assistant coach?

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Can you be on it if you're an assistant coach?

no, according to wikepedia it's only head coaches and managers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_competition_committee

I also thought it was funny that Whiz is gone and now Tomlin is in the spot. Poor Whiz he's like Henry Winkler in the Waterboy, and Tomlin is that other coach who stole his playbook.

fansince'76
04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
goodell must have wanted another 'yes' man on his committee

Yep, that's why Tomlin got called in to the principal's office (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-tomlin-rooney-meet-with-nfl-commissioner-goodell-on-hits-324533/) by the dickhead for the audacity of publicly defending Ryan Clark after his ridiculous $40K fine two years ago - because he's a yes man. :coffee:

Vis
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Yep, that's why Tomlin got called in to the principal's office (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-tomlin-rooney-meet-with-nfl-commissioner-goodell-on-hits-324533/) by the dickhead for the audacity of publicly defending Ryan Clark after his ridiculous $40K fine two years ago - because he's a yes man. :coffee:

He's also disagreed on the RB rule.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

yup, and not a word out of him since AND now kissing his ass by being on his committee

Vis
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
yup, and not a word out of him since AND now kissing his ass by being on his committee

Being on the committee is having a vote. Instead of words, he now has a voice.

GMU Steeler
04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Being on the committee is having a vote. Instead of words, he now has a voice.

Precisely. Who knows, as the representative of a team with a defensive mentality, he may be even be able to talk some sense into the competition committee.

vasteeler
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM

:facepalm:

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Precisely. Who knows, as the representative of a team with a defensive mentality, he may be even be able to talk some sense into the competition committee.

or he will be persuaded on how the team has to tackle

GMU Steeler
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
And I'm sick of hearing that the Rooneys only hired Tomlin because he was black. Really, look at our past coaches that they hired. Look at Tomlin, Cowher, and Noll. What do they have in common? They were young (read 35ish) defensive coordinators who were coaching outside the organization when they were hired. I predict that Tomlin's successor will be someone from a similar background. Whisenhunt may or may not have been the answer but the fact is the Rooneys wanted to take their time hiring Cowher's successor and Whisenhunt understandably wanted to get hired quickly since he felt he had earned a HC job since he had turned down the Raiders the previous offseason. Grimm didn't fit the mold as he was a late 40's O-line coach for the team at the moment. Rivera must have not impressed the Rooneys and it's been pointed out that he too is a minority being a Hispanic.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
And I'm sick of hearing that the Rooneys only hired Tomlin because he was black. Really, look at our past coaches that they hired. Look at Tomlin, Cowher, and Noll. What do they have in common? They were young (read 35ish) defensive coordinators who were coaching outside the organization when they were hired. I predict that Tomlin's successor will be someone from a similar background. Whisenhunt may or may not have been the answer but the fact is the Rooneys wanted to take their time hiring Cowher's successor and Whisenhunt understandably wanted to get hired quickly since he felt he had earned a HC job since he had turned down the Raiders the previous offseason. Grimm didn't fit the mold as he was a late 40's O-line coach for the team at the moment. Rivera must have not impressed the Rooneys and it's been pointed out that he too is a minority being a Hispanic.

i dont think anybody is saying that it was the only reason, but it was a huge factor

GMU Steeler
04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
i dont think anybody is saying that it was the only reason, but it was a huge factor

I really don't think so. I think it's often ignored that Tomlin fits what the ownership looks for in a new coach to a T. And frankly, I think he was the best choice of the bunch. As I said, it's debatable what Whisenhunt would have done here but overall I wasn't impressed with his time as Arizona's head coach outside the first couple years when he had Warner.

ebsteelers
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM

ban this fool

Fire Haley
04-09-2013, 02:54 PM
ban this fool

oh c'mon - let's kick him around some first, then ban the bitch

I demand entertainment

Galax Steeler
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM

I think that will be enough of that talk this is your warning.

Vis
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
I really don't think so. I think it's often ignored that Tomlin fits what the ownership looks for in a new coach to a T. And frankly, I think he was the best choice of the bunch. As I said, it's debatable what Whisenhunt would have done here but overall I wasn't impressed with his time as Arizona's head coach outside the first couple years when he had Warner.

A good QB makes a coach smarter

GMU Steeler
04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
A good QB makes a coach smarter

Yep especially one like Warner. Bolden and Fitzgerald were a great 1-2 at WR too.

pczach
04-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Eject this messenger. lasvegasguy is an ass clown who rose to fame on stupidity as a rule.

:screwy::shake01:

OX1947
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
32 owners have a voice, yet they can not be heard because they all take turns sucking on Goodell's pole and hole. What the the hell is a worthless competition committee full of coaches who get fired every 5 years going to say to change a damn thing?

Vis
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
32 owners have a voice, yet they can not be heard because they all take turns sucking on Goodell's pole and hole. What the the hell is a worthless competition committee full of coaches who get fired every 5 years going to say to change a damn thing?

Why do you think Goodell isn't doing exaclty what the owners (as a whole) want?

SteelersCanada
04-09-2013, 03:29 PM

http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/zlf83g.jpg

OX1947
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Why do you think Goodell isn't doing exaclty what the owners (as a whole) want?

Lawyers and ungrateful leeches are ruining football. And Goodell is enabling them. The only worth of a lawyer is to stop another lawyer. That's why it was good having Paul Tags as a commissioner. All the lawsuits and all the bullcrap, he deflected and didnt let it effect the game.

All this piece of shit talks about is how bad his sport is. Its ALWAYS in a negative light. never good. Anyone stupid enough to think this game will ever be safe, is a (bleep) moron. UNLESS, you turn it into Arena Football. Which is what they are 1/3 into right now, in my book. Hell, any book. Just watch games. Teams win games from their own 2 yard line now with 15 secs, down 4. You can score at will because you cant touch anyone. And now, with the new RB rule, that will kill the running game even more.

If I didnt love the Steelers so much, NFL would be flushed down my toilet right now.

Vis
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Lawyers and ungrateful leeches are ruining football. And Goodell is enabling them. The only worth of a lawyer is to stop another lawyer. That's why it was good having Paul Tags as a commissioner. All the lawsuits and all the bullcrap, he deflected and didnt let it effect the game.

All this piece of shit talks about is how bad his sport is. Its ALWAYS in a negative light. never good. Anyone stupid enough to think this game will ever be safe, is a (bleep) moron. UNLESS, you turn it into Arena Football. Which is what they are 1/3 into right now, in my book. Hell, any book. Just watch games. Teams win games from their own 2 yard line now with 15 secs, down 4. You can score at will because you cant touch anyone. And now, with the new RB rule, that will kill the running game even more.

If I didnt love the Steelers so much, NFL would be flushed down my toilet right now.

My initial response as a lawyer is fuck off. Having given that post more thought - fuck off just until you're educated.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM
http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/zlf83g.jpg

sloppy joe's a troll, not sure about the other one.

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Nice to see Michael "Kramer" Richards has found something to occupy his time.... posting moronic, racist stuff on the internet.

http://www.osborneink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/never_go_full_retard1.jpg

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
My initial response as a lawyer is fuck off. Having given that post more thought - fuck off just until you're educated.

lawyers take a bad rap, and that's because lawyers are humans. you're always going to find a few bad ones.

lawyers are a great weapon against corruption and they make the police do their jobs. what's wrong with that?

SteelersCanada
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
sloppy joe's a troll, not sure about the other one.

I hope for his sake he is. I really hope there aren't any Steelers fans that are that stupid.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I hope for his sake he is. I really hope there aren't any Steelers fans that are that stupid.

oh he might very well be a Steelers fan, but he's still a troll

trollin, trollin, trollin...:computer:

FrancoLambert
04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
lawyers take a bad rap, and that's because lawyers are humans. you're always going to find a few bad ones.

lawyers are a great weapon against corruption and they make the police do their jobs. what's wrong with that?

"We're all a part of the same hypocrisy."

Surely lawyers inflate our insurance premiums with frivolous lawsuits.

Yet if we're in trouble with the law, who do we want? A "good" lawyer.

FYI: I am not a lawyer.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

very true. it's the same with special interest groups.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM

lol............i see your vagina is still sore from the pounding i gave it a while back

SteelersCanada
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
lol............i see your vagina is still sore from the pounding i gave it a while back

:facepalm:

GMU Steeler
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Michael in Godfather II to Senator Geary right? That's a good point though. We bellyache about lawyers but we'd want the best if our ass was on the line. It's kind of how we bellyache about politicians but every school child wants to be President when he grows up.

Vis
04-09-2013, 05:03 PM

The system throws out frivolous lawsuits at the directed verdict stage and the lawyer can be sanctioned. Besides that, bringing suit cost the lawyer money. We take sure things with large damages. We don't gamble.

The suits that may be frivolous have nothing to do with insurance. See Apple v Samsung in either direction or when Nissan sued the computer company in NC because they were called Nissan (their family name).

Bane
04-09-2013, 05:57 PM

With comments like that, you should get your ass primed for the pounding the mods are going to give it.

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
With comments like that, you should get your ass primed for the pounding the mods are going to give it.

what, and lose one of our more prolific trolls?

Anyway, congratulations to Tomlin for rocketing up the chain of command in the NFL. His hard work and love of the game has positioned him as a leader in the NFL. Hope he has many more years and keeps getting better and better!

Bane
04-09-2013, 06:18 PM
what, and lose one of our more prolific trolls?

Anyway, congratulations to Tomlin for rocketing up the chain of command in the NFL. His hard work and love of the game has positioned him as a leader in the NFL. Hope he has many more years and keeps getting better and better!

The best troll is a banned troll!

And yeah... Congrats Tomlin! They need a dude on board with as much badassery as Tomlin to get shit DONE. :tt04:

MACH1
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Lets keep it civil pimples.

Vis
04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
This thread went from Tomlin to vagina pimples

Bane
04-09-2013, 07:07 PM
This thread went from Tomlin to vagina pimples

GoFor7 would say that's a sidestep.

sloppyjoe
04-09-2013, 07:56 PM

oh nooo. are you gonna tell on me?....:rofl:

SteelersCanada
04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
oh nooo. are you gonna tell on me?....:rofl:

Grow up. Stop being such a shithead to everyone and maybe you wouldn't get people to be hostile toward you.

OX1947
04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
God I love this board.

cowherpower
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
The best troll is a banned troll!

And yeah... Congrats Tomlin! They need a dude on board with as much badassery as Tomlin to get shit DONE. :tt04:

wow, just wow...is he going to 'unleash hell'??

...or maybe being on the committee will give him insight on when to call timeouts, kick long field goals, and not fail to get his team prepared for their opponents.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
being on the committee will give him insight on when to call timeouts, kick long field goals, and not fail to get his team prepared for their opponents.

c'mon man!

no negative vibes

We're the mighty Steelers!

Teams will fall at our feet as soon as we walk on the field!

More chest bumps and high fives for all the crew!

that's all we need

Bane
04-10-2013, 08:19 PM

...or maybe being on the committee will give him insight on when to call timeouts, kick long field goals, and not fail to get his team prepared for their opponents.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b5cc54657ec74f1aaf6ba939f315402b/tumblr_mgfd6poqVr1s2fr8jo1_400.gif

OX1947
04-10-2013, 09:48 PM

No, I heard he was gonna unleash Purgatory this time.