PDA

View Full Version : Paradox Problem

SteelPride1207
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
The problem is Todd Haley and our offensive scheme.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a quarterback whose strength is to buy time for making big plays downfield (pretty effective considering the Superbowl appearances).

Todd Haley's offensive focus is attacking the first 5 yards past the line of scrimmage (effectively ending the play) instead of setting up and attacking downfield.

Unfortunately for whomever is using that type of offensive scheme, the NFL now has rules that support passing downfield more than any other phase of the game. This is why all the top quarterbacks with offensive coordinators were the best teams last year.

Even the "vomit" Batlimore "vomit" Ravens and their dildo for a QB, were able to excel because their passing game excelled the moment former Indianapolis QB then Head Coach, Jim Caldwell, took over from Cam Cameron. Jim's focus on dildo passing downfield and opening up the passing attack...were the #1 reason why Baltimore reached and won the Superbowl last year. This is also why Bruce Arians did so well in Indianapolis with a solid rookie QB. Both these guys were offensive passing guru's who focused on passing the ball and more importantly, passing downfield.

The paradox problem for the Steelers is this....

Drafting for Todd Haley's "five yards past the line of scrimmage" offense can really screw up this draft and the future of offense. Getting offensive skills players to fit a system that does not play to the strengths of our QB is...well...stupid.

But...not drafting Todd Haley players means the Steelers will continue to play underneath the higher more potent passing teams in the league.

This is why I hope that the Steelers focus hard on the defensive end of the ball to help minimize the damage that would occur in the long run by taking "Todd Haley' kind of players".

vasteeler
04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
:noidea: i thought we doing pretty well until ben got hurt.....for the 500th time

steelfury02
04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
like most paradoxes, yours is also an invalid argument, however, still important to the critical thinking and discussion that comes from the topic of Todd Haley's approach v. Ben's strengths that permeates 75% of the threads.

I think this is your opinion - a paradox statement. Well, that's just my opinion. And, damn I got myself messed up now - but, you get the point - well, maybe that's my opinion!

GoFor7
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
:noidea: i thought we doing pretty well until ben got hurt.....for the 500th time

They had three good games.... for the 1000th time.

The playoff games should've been an indication how behind the times the Steelers are when it comes to offensive philosophies, as well as the fact most of the playoff teams weren't even in the top 5 in time of possession. Baltimore was 30th if I recall.

It's not a grind-it-out-and-impose-your-will possession league anymore, it's a score often and score quickly league. No, that's not something the Steelers dictate, the NFL dictates that. If the Steelers continue to try and fight it, they'll continue to be mediocre.

But hey, Artie is always right!

STILLERZ GUTTA RUN DA BALL N'AT!

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM

The playoff games should've been an indication how behind the times the Steelers are when it comes to offensive philosophies, as well as the fact most of the playoff teams weren't even in the top 5 in time of possession. Baltimore was 30th if I recall.

It's not a grind-it-out-and-impose-your-will possession league anymore, it's a score often and score quickly league. No, that's not something the Steelers dictate, the NFL dictates that. If the Steelers continue to try and fight it, they'll continue to be mediocre.

I'll be honest I wasn't going to read your whole response. But then I did and I've got to say, I wish I hadn't bothered.

GoFor7
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll be honest I wasn't going to read your whole response. But then I did and I've got to say, I wish I hadn't bothered.

*hands you some black and gold pom-poms*

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, if we didn't get rid of...

...never mind. :coffee:

GoFor7
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Well, if we didn't get rid of...

...never mind. :coffee:

But Artie says you have to run the ball! It doesn't matter that the rest of the NFL is going in the opposite direction! Someone with the last name Rooney said something, so it must be right! :coffee:

steelfury02
04-09-2013, 06:42 PM
nothing new will come from this thread - already decided it

Here's to you GoFor7 and our never-ending battle!:drink:

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Todd Haley's offensive focus is attacking the first 5 yards past the line of scrimmage (effectively ending the play) instead of setting up and attacking downfield.

Unfortunately for whomever is using that type of offensive scheme, the NFL now has rules that support passing downfield more than any other phase of the game. This is why all the top quarterbacks with offensive coordinators were the best teams last year.

Funny... I seem to remember a certain Haley-led offense in Arizona being pretty good a couple of years ago with a passable (pun intended) QB at the helm. :noidea:

I mean, they were OK, but they didn't get to the Super B.... oh wait, nevermind.

Bane
04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
But Artie says you have to run the ball! It doesn't matter that the rest of the NFL is going in the opposite direction! Someone with the last name Rooney said something, so it must be right! :coffee:

But, you have to ask yourself:

XREnvJRkif0

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Funny... I seem to remember a certain Haley-led offense in Arizona being pretty good a couple of years ago with a passable (pun intended) QB at the helm. :noidea:

I mean, they were OK, but they didn't get to the Super B.... oh wait, nevermind.

"Passable"?

According to the trailers for his new show, he was "Legendary".

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 07:50 PM
But, you have to ask yourself:

XREnvJRkif0

Yeah but I've said that so many times that no one even listens anymore! :noidea:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Big Ben was considered by many a MVP candidate before the injury. First half Pre Ben injury the offense was the strength of the team then after Ben got injured the defense was the strength.

Him having a MVP season prior to injury in the first year of a new system means that there is no problem and there should be improvements in the second year. I expect Ben to have another great season.

Hawaii 5-0
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah but I've said that so many times that no one even listens anymore! :noidea:

what was it that you said? :noidea:

FanSince72
04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
what was it that you said? :noidea:

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure if you realize that what you heard is not really what I meant.

I hope that clears things up! :thumbsup:
(and please don't make me repeat it)

GoFor7
04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I do find it somewhat ironic that the Penguins have an owner that may have been the greatest player ever in hockey, and he doesn't get involved in hockey operations, while the Steelers owner never had any experience with football, yet thinks he can dictate the offense just because he has daddy's last name and grew up privileged.

Buddha Bus
04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I do find it somewhat ironic that the Penguins have an owner that may have been the greatest player ever in hockey, and he doesn't get involved in hockey operations, while the Steelers owner never had any experience with football, yet thinks he can dictate the offense just because he has daddy's last name and grew up privileged.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/mianbao1993/dead_horse.jpg

harrison'samonster
04-09-2013, 09:36 PM

is that a unicorn!

Bane
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
is that a unicorn!

It's a sloth.

GoFor7
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM

-yiqhftGEH4

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Big Ben was considered by many a MVP candidate before the injury. First half Pre Ben injury the offense was the strength of the team then after Ben got injured the defense was the strength.

Him having a MVP season prior to injury in the first year of a new system means that there is no problem and there should be improvements in the second year. I expect Ben to have another great season.

Bravo.

This should be re-posted several more times for DOWNBYLAW's...err....I mean GOFOR7's benefit.....

teegre
04-09-2013, 11:59 PM

That's NOT irony.

Irony is using the word "irony", in an attempt to seem smart... only to misuse it, and in turn, appear very, very dumb.

GoFor7
04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Bravo.

This should be re-posted several more times for DOWNBYLAW's...err....I mean GOFOR7's benefit.....

Yup. Ben had to bail the offense out on third & long after RUTM and dink-and-dunk didn't work. Even when you have a QB of Ben's caliber, playing that outdated style will bite you in the ass eventually.

You know the reason the Penguins don't have alternate jerseys similar to what they wore in the early 90's when they won two Cups? Because Lemieux wants the focus to be on the team now, and not the Penguins back then. Meanwhile, Artie does everything he can to make sure this team looks just like granddaddy's team from the early 70's.

SH-Rock
04-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Ben's Projected season stats before injury

32 TD, 8 int 4406 yards

Seems pretty solid to me.

SH-Rock
04-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Yup. Ben had to bail the offense out on third & long after RUTM and dink-and-dunk didn't work. Even when you have a QB of Ben's caliber, playing that outdated style will bite you in the ass eventually.

You know the reason the Penguins don't have alternate jerseys similar to what they wore in the early 90's when they won two Cups? Because Lemieux wants the focus to be on the team now, and not the Penguins back then. Meanwhile, Artie does everything he can to make sure this team looks just like granddaddy's team from the early 70's.

All the Patriots do is dink and dunk. Seems to work pretty well for them.

Bane
04-10-2013, 01:00 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr53mmAgwP1qbqdik.jpg

Buddha Bus
04-10-2013, 04:55 AM
is that a unicorn!

The very last one and boy was it tasty! :yummy:

Buddha Bus
04-10-2013, 05:07 AM
-yiqhftGEH4

BDW0rFH0oZE

pczach
04-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Ben's Projected season stats before injury

32 TD, 8 int 4406 yards

Seems pretty solid to me.

The thing I find amazing is that you post those projected numbers for Big Ben, and it still brings up questions about him and this offense with everyone. Here are two frames of mind when it comes to Ben.

Todd Haley is his offensive coordinator. On the one hand, you have fans that say Ben is not elite. Some think he's a bum. Even though those numbers are staring them in the face, they say "He is no Tom Brady", or "He loses too many games", or "His teams don't score enough points". Todd Haley's system works. Ben just has a problem with it, and won't run the system properly.

Todd Haley is his offensive coordinator. The other argument is that Ben can throw for the stats you list above, and he does it without an effective running game and a shitty OL. Imagine what he could do if the Steelers had scored 25 rushing TD like the Patriots and Tom Brady did last year. That would help your points per game average a bit. Even the haters should be able to see that.

Haley is part of the discussion in both. Here's my take. First of all, Ben is a great quarterback. He puts up good numbers, but not what the defense deficient teams with great qb's do like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, etc...I believe Haley's system works. The problem is, our offensive line has not been good enough or healthy enough to run his system effectively. The same can be said for our running backs. I believe that will start to change this year. I also believe that with the rule changes that benefit the passing game, adjustments have to be made within the system to maximize offensive production and put pressure on defenses to defend the whole field. A quality RB, and additional weapons for Ben are coming in the draft. If Haley can adjust to the league rules, optimize the talents of the players on the roster, and get the quality OL play that has been lacking, this offense will score points. This isn't like we're light years away from being a great offensive team. This can be done with a few key additions and a little tweaking from a guy that knows NFL offense. I have no problem running the ball, as long as it is effective. If you can't run the ball well, you only bog down the entire offense by trying to do something you can't and take opportunities away from the passing game. If you run the ball well, it creates opportunities for big plays down the field. I think we'll have more big plays this year, and the offense will start to develop.

VaDave
04-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Yep, the O WAS good for three games, then it went south. Agreed. You also are alluding to Haley's penchant for his 5 yard offense. That I'm going to take issue with

Let me ask you this, in order for a QB to throw deep often, what is the most critical thing he needs? Time, right?

What is the one thing a QB doesn't get when his OL guys are dropping like flies? Time. Add to that, your QB has a bad shoulder, making longer throws not only painful, but often inaccurate, with a significant lack of velocity.

I'd bet the ranch that this year, IF this oline stays healthy and plays well, you are going to see almost as many down the field plays as you did with BA, but with much better balance.

Haley's system is fine, we were just short a few bodies. Through out the season we had 7 different starting OLs, and in one game we had 5 different OL combinations.

I don't care who the team is, when you have that many disruptions in personel, your offense is going to be inconsistent at best. And because of time, or the lack of it in the pocket, is going to limit your downfield opportunities.

Anyway, just my two cents.....

VaDave
04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Let me add this, I'm not really worried about Steeler football 2013 and beyond mainly because our systems on both sides of the ball are set. The most successful team are the ones where we aren't changing coordinators at the drop of a hat. Our systems are proven.

As for "Haley's O, there is still a lot of BA in "his" offense. When you get down to it, there is still a lot of Ron Erhardt in it. Like the 34 counter pike, you know the one where the LG goes to his right and nails the kick out block, the one Willie Parker scored on in SB 40? Well, we still run that one about 8 to 10 times a game out of 30 some plays in a game, so to say this O is entirely Haley's is not exactly accurate.

harrison'samonster
04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
The very last one and boy was it tasty! :yummy:

:crying01:

steelfury02
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
no new Haley Scheme v. Ben's strengths threads for the love of Unicorns!

I'll assume the haters who won't give a healthy O a chance will be the first in line to say "I never said that, I said SO FAR it hadn't done anything . . ."

They're all hedging their bets quite nicely.

The thing is, you really should just enjoy Ben while you can and quit focusing on the nitty gritty so much when there are tons of factors into scoring and winning games.

Haley will be here this season so why not quit spewing out the same regurgitated things - we get it, "Yousa no like it." Let's move on . . .

teegre
04-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Bravo.

:wink02: (1 time down; 4 to go.)

Fire Arians
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
our problem is ben got an injury that nearly killed him, and if you think he'd come back after a few weeks good as new you're delusional. that injury killed the season, but such is life in the NFL, it's not figure skating.

cowherpower
04-10-2013, 07:50 PM

They did have the league's best WR combo and an extremely accurate QB. Things we don't have. If not for Harrison they win that game. But that doesn't make Haley good or bad. Coaching crappy players gets you crappy results. Coaching in every sport is extremely overrated. You never saw Phil Jackson taking a job unless it was loaded with superstars. Bellichik as a HC was crap until Brady came along. As great as the Steelers were in the 90s..Bill couldn't get it done until he had Ben. Haley will be as good or as bad as the players he has to work with. I predict bad because we will be w/out Wallace, w/out Heath for a stretch, and we have a QB who holds the ball too long, a porous offensive line and no running backs.

fer522
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM

I can't take this shit anymore :banging: imma go and detonate a fucking bomb in Kim Jong-un's ass ( or whatever his fucking name is)

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 05:19 AM
If not for Harrison they win that game.

And, if not for my uncle's penis, he would be my aunt. :noidea:

Ben has taken us to 3 Super Bowls, winning 2. He may not have always played well in those Super Bowls, but he sure as shit played well to get us there. He isn't a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson who rode his defense and run game to get there. He earned it period.

Bane
04-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Ben has taken us to 3 Super Bowls, winning 2. He may not have always played well in those Super Bowls, but he sure as shit played well to get us there. He isn't a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson who rode his defense and run game to get there. He earned it period.

The funny thing is, is that I hate those, "If _______ didn't happen, ______ would have won/lost!" Because it simply isn't true. If _______ didn't happen, the course of the game changes, and the outcome could have changed, but it also could have easily stayed the same.

That said, Ben not only took us to those three Super Bowls and won two, but he arguably was the reason we won Super Bowl XLIII (alongside Santonio Holmes).

Yeah, I know, Harrison, second greatest play in Super Bowl History, blah blah. I agree. However, again, that was early enough in the game that the course of the game would have been entirely different from there on out. You can't argue that for the insanely perfect pass and catch that happened at the end of the game. If that doesn't happen, the Steelers lose Super Bowl XLIII.

/endrant

VaDave
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
The funny thing is, is that I hate those, "If _______ didn't happen, ______ would have won/lost!" Because it simply isn't true. If _______ didn't happen, the course of the game changes, and the outcome could have changed, but it also could have easily stayed the same.

That said, Ben not only took us to those three Super Bowls and won two, but he arguably was the reason we won Super Bowl XLIII (alongside Santonio Holmes).

Yeah, I know, Harrison, second greatest play in Super Bowl History, blah blah. I agree. However, again, that was early enough in the game that the course of the game would have been entirely different from there on out. You can't argue that for the insanely perfect pass and catch that happened at the end of the game. If that doesn't happen, the Steelers lose Super Bowl XLIII.

/endrant

Good post!

Ifs & Buts anyone?

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
every body has a big but. let's talk about your big but...

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
All the Patriots do is dink and dunk. Seems to work pretty well for them.

They actually use no huddle and allow their QB to go for the juggular. The Steelers dink-and-dunk for possession.

Bad comparison ding-dong.

cowherpower
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM

he had the worst SB performance by a winning or heck, even losing QB in history in the Steelers win vs. the Seahawks. They don't get there without him for sure. He did zilch to get them a win that day. He played lights out against ARI. But that was an abysmal defense and it took Harrison to prevent them from going up big w/momentum to even stay in that game. So he didn't do it 'all by himself' and he was plain bad against GB. Let's not put him up on some pedestal. He took himself off with stupidity off the field and poor performances over the past few years.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
he had the worst SB performance by a winning or heck, even losing QB in history in the Steelers win vs. the Seahawks. They don't get there without him for sure. He did zilch to get them a win that day. He played lights out against ARI. But that was an abysmal defense and it took Harrison to prevent them from going up big w/momentum to even stay in that game. So he didn't do it 'all by himself' and he was plain bad against GB. Let's not put him up on some pedestal. He took himself off with stupidity off the field and poor performances over the past few years.

I never said he did it by himself, just that he surely was a very large part of us being there in the first place. You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't get there, and we wouldn't have gotten there if not for Ben.

DanRooney
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM

We dominated the Arizona game. Ben drove them down the field on the first drive and our shit runningbacks couldn't punch it in from the 1.

After a 3 score lead we pretty much played conservative on both sides of the ball. Put that on the coaches. I don't blame them either since our D was that dominate that year.

cowherpower
04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
We dominated the Arizona game. Ben drove them down the field on the first drive and our shit runningbacks couldn't punch it in from the 1.

After a 3 score lead we pretty much played conservative on both sides of the ball. Put that on the coaches. I don't blame them either since our D was that dominate that year.

Tomlin at his finest

cowherpower
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

/endrant

I can argue that because it's my opinion. My opinion is that w/out that play the score is either 17-10 or 10-10. With how sloppy we played and conservative our coaching was, not to mention the adjustments they made which worked, they would have beaten us. That last drive was insane on Ben's part. I have never seen the likes of it. Truly epic. But like you said, that Harrison play changes everything so that may not have even happened. So my opinion is that if it didn't, we lose. Yours is that we do. That's fine. Agree to disagree

VaDave
04-11-2013, 05:16 PM
every body has a big but. let's talk about your big but...

Lets not go all personal Bub!!! LOL!!!

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
I can argue that because it's my opinion. My opinion is that w/out that play the score is either 10-10 or 10-6. With how sloppy we played and conservative our coaching was, not to mention the adjustments they made which worked, they would have beaten us. That last drive was insane on Ben's part. I have never seen the likes of it. Truly epic. But like you said, that Harrison play changes everything so that may not have even happened. So my opinion is that if it didn't, we lose. Yours is that we do. That's fine. Agree to disagree

Sorry, but an opinion and a prediction of alternate realities are 2 very different things. It would require the ability to see the future which I doubt any of us can muster. What happened, happened and is now history. The need to continually bring up "What if...?" scenarios doesn't change what really happened... period.

How do we know that the Cardinals wouldn't have just played conservatively in the second half and let us win it anyway? Or what if the moon was your car and Jupiter was your hairbrush?

VaDave
04-11-2013, 05:38 PM

RE: Redzone Failure SB 43

A little known story, Hartwig played that game with a serious knee injury. Darnel Stapleton's ( RG) knees were so bad, they cut him after the season. Kemo's knees never were good. There was no interior push at the LOS, hence "We couldn't punch it in"...

What is interesting, is why in the world if you're an OC, and you have two fifths of your OL messed up, why would you be calling all of those running plays there? Better yet, how about the counter call out of the Endzone the play before the safety??

Kemo pulled like we were going to run the 34 counter pike, but for some odd reason, Kemo goes wide of the tackle box, and Parker in explicably runs it up the gut presumably avoid a stunting lineman that beat Stapleton and barely makes it out of the endzone. If Parker would have followed Kemo around the end, it looked like it would have gone for decent yardage.