PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Submit Offer Sheet to Emmanuel Sanders

Pages : [1] 2

Atlanta Dan
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏tweets the Patriots submitted an offer sheet to Sanders

Sanders visited the Pats early in the offseason and may wait to submit the sheet at a time when cap situation looks bleakest

The Steelers remain in a cap crunch, making them vulnerable, and, along with the 3rd round compensation made Sanders enticing as well

The Patriots just submitted an offer sheet on Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders. some actual restricted free agent movement. Wow

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

So Brown, Cotchery and Burress as the three vets at WR for 2013 - yikes

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏tweets the Patriots submitted an offer sheet to Sanders

Sanders visited the Pats early in the offseason and may wait to submit the sheet at a time when cap situation looks bleakest

The Steelers remain in a cap crunch, making them vulnerable, and, along with the 3rd round compensation made Sanders enticing as well

The Patriots just submitted an offer sheet on Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders. some actual restricted free agent movement. Wow

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

So Brown, Cotchery and Burress as the three vets at WR for 2013 - yikes

If its true ill be sad to see him go but not heart broken.

Retaining him next year when he was going to be a Ufa was slim due to the cap, so getting a 3rd pick this year where I believe could be use to draft a sanders type isn't such a bad thing.

teegre
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
As I've said before, I like Sanders... but, he's not replaceable. More importantly, like Worilds, Sanders is a Catch-22 for the Steelers:

-If he has a great season, then he'll be too expensive to resign.

-If he has a bad season, likely, so will Pittsburgh's offense.

The fact that the Taperiots want him tells me that they see the potential that I see in Sanders. They did this same thing with Wes Welker... and I fully expect a poison pill in the contract (roster bonus of $200,000 for any games played in the state of Pennsylvania).

The good news: there are a ton of R3 WRs: Swope, Dobson, Stills, Wheaton...

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I honestly think they might let him walk and get the extra third round pick.

Also, in my opinion, this just made receiver more of a priority than Safety. Woods, Rogers or Hunter in the second makes a lot of sense.

It also makes a lot of sense if they want to take someone like Kenny Vaccaro or Tavon Austin in the first, then they can trade up by using the Patriots' third round and their own second round pick to grab someone like Matt Elam in the beginning of the second round. This would address Wide Receiver and Safety which are two huge holes right now.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Tweet

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Money in Emmanuel Sanders' one-year offer sheet with NE will not scare PITT. But Steelers could opt to take NE's 3rd-rd pick instead.
2 minutes ago

jjpro11
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Also, in my opinion, this just made receiver more of a priority than Safety. Woods, Rogers or Hunter in the second makes a lot of sense.

I don't think they'll have a choice. The Patriots have a lot more money than the Steelers.

Whatever.. Either way it makes the Steelers a weaker team in 2013. Maybe the 3rd round pick ends up being better than Sanders in the long run.. But for the time being, there's a very very slim chance a rookie 3rd rounder will have the kind of impact on this team that Sanders would have.

The Steelers are going to be a weaker team in 2013 than they were in 2012. Anyone who denies that is a blind homer. No rookie draft pool is going to come close to making up for the players lost this year.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
The good news: there are a ton of R3 WRs: Swope, Dobson, Stills, Wheaton...

Hey, I'll take 4 years of having swope than 1 year of sanders without hesitation

Lokki
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I like Sanders, but I think I would rather have the 3rd round pick to work with at this point.

scottish_steeler
04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
letting him go would mean having to get a WR that is NFL ready, dont fancy going into the season with only Brown, Cotch and Plax. maybe taking a WR in the first couple of rounds wouldnt be such a bad thing specially with another decent pick in the bank to address other areas of need

Atlanta Dan
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Agreed 2013 is looking to be a down year - losing Sanders hurts but he was probably gone after 2013 anyhow and is not the only missing piece for a Super Bowl run

Unfortunately the only Pro Bowl level players in their prime are Timmons, Pouncey & Ben (I am not counting on Heath coming back at full strength this coming season) - not exactly the foundation for a deep playoff run

Patriots are loading up to win now

But if the Patriots send the Steelers their third-round draft pick they’ll be almost out of ammunition in the draft: They’ve already traded away their fourth-round pick for Aqib Talib, their fifth-round pick for Albert Haynesworth and their sixth-round pick for Chad Ochocinco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/patriots-sign-emmanuel-sanders-to-offer-sheet/

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Right, 2013 is going to be a down year when we lose aging veterans who seriously underachieved last year or were hurt - or both.

Dooms day! Dooms day!

"That's March talk"

LayingTheWoodley56
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I think we have to match it. We cannot go into the season with Plax as our number two and Cotch as our number three. Both are decent wideouts, but neither is a viable option as a top-two target, especially with Heath out. Even though things may be leaning towards the bleak side for this season, we would be foolish to brazenly waste a year of Ben's prime with no young talent outside of AB at receiver. Pay him the money and bring him back for this season. How much of a difference is one third-round pick going to make (although who knows, we could draft the next Hines with that pick.) If we let Sanders walk in my mind that means we have to use either our first or second-rounder on a receiver.

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM

It also makes a lot of sense if they want to take someone like Kenny Vaccaro or Tavon Austin in the first, then they can trade up by using the Patriots' third round and their own second round pick to grab someone like Matt Elam in the beginning of the second round. This would address Wide Receiver and Safety which are two huge holes right now.

Austin in R1... followed by trading up for Elam. Jackpot!!!

You are a good, good man.

Realistically, I don't see Elam getting out of R1; nor do I see Austin making it past 16 (he'll go 12-16).

But realism is for suckas... the Steelers are getting Austin & Elam!!! :banana:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
3rd for Sanders is more than we received for Wallace this year.

Let him go, he didn't do much last year. He was onlyt succesful because Wallace pulled the coverage.

Now we have Brown? Comforting, who by all standards had a shitty year after cashing the check. Great moves so far on the WR positions by management.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Austin in R1... followed by trading up for Elam. Jackpot!!!

You are a good, good man.

Realistically, I don't see Elam getting out of R1; nor do I see Austin making it past 16 (he'll go 12-16).

But realism is for suckas... the Steelers are getting Austin & Elam!!! :banana:

We can dream, right?

Honestly, if that were to happen, I think your head would just explode. Mine would too though!

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
We can dream, right?

Honestly, if that were to happen, I think your head would just explode. Mine would too though!

I'd let out the loudest howl you've ever heard, followed by losing all bodily functions, and collapsing in a heap in the middle of my living room... a smiling heap.

Bane
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Now we can grab Schwenke with the extra third-rounder.

Make it happen, Colbert.

ebsteelers
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
welcome to the burgh Da'Rick Rogers!!!!!

Round 1: Jones
Round 2: Swearinger
Round 3: Rogers
Round 3: Franklin
Round 4: Barrett Jones
Round 5: Sims
Round 6: Mauti
Round 6: Holmes
Round 7: Punter

SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME

sanders and his injuries can get the heck out

kan_t
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
If the Steelers don't plan to spend money on him after 2013, then the Pats' offer sheet is actually a good news. Now the Steelers can address WR, S, RB, OLB all within the first three rounds.

The chance is slim, but imagine if they also trade their #17 down.....

xbroughneck
04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd rather have the 3rd round pick.

Grab a 6'2" receiver and call it even. Seriously, regardless of what people think, a 3rd round receiver can be productive immediately.

Terrance Williams
Justin Hunter
Aaron Dobson
Coby Hamilton

I wouldn't mind any of them in the roster.

So....

Antonio, Cotchery, Burress, practice squad wide out, draft pick.....

If the Steelers go 4 wide out ....how is that noticeably worse than last years squad? Burress should be better, not worse. Cotchery is as good a Sanders, if not as quick.

I don't have a problem. There are much bigger concerns on the defensive side of the ball.

Steelstoned1972
04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
While i hate to lose another starter . Chances are he will walk next year anyway. I'll take the 3rd rounder and hope we can develop another young wr with potential. 3 years in thats all manny is - a young receiver with potential. He hasnt shown much partially due to injury , He has flashed some of that potential but not enough to warrant keeping him over a 3rd round pick imho.

BKAnthem
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I think Cotchery coud be a very viable number 2 for a year

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7HoDaRUUGjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I'd rather have the 3rd round pick.

Grab a 6'2" receiver and call it even. Seriously, regardless of what people think, a 3rd round receiver can be productive immediately.

Terrance Williams
Justin Hunter
Aaron Dobson
Coby Hamilton

I wouldn't mind any of them in the roster.

So....

Antonio, Cotchery, Burress, practice squad wide out, draft pick.....

If the Steelers go 4 wide out ....how is that noticeably worse than last years squad? Burress should be better, not worse. Cotchery is as good a Sanders, if not as quick.

I don't have a problem. There are much bigger concerns on the defensive side of the ball.
I agree. I like Sanders, but the team has too many undersized slot receiver types.
Basically gives a guy like Gilreath a chance to make the 53 and also get another young WR or TE in the 3rd.

At draft time I was hoping for Navarro Bowman, Corey Wooten, Tony Moeaki or Brandon Ghee instead of a WR like Sanders.

Varg
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Didn't this guy have surgery on both feet already in his career? I see him being a decent WR but he is not the second coming of Christ guys. I say we take the patriots 3rd rounder. So much quality in the 2nd and 3rd round this year that I can see us getting our RB and WR needs cheaply and quickly.

Drizztbob
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Good thing we have so much pull with the front office here...lol

ebsteelers
04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Good thing we have so much pull with the front office here...lol

lol listen, i know a guy thats knows a guy whose cousins mothers sisters brother nephew knows another guy in the front office

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd let out the loudest howl you've ever heard, followed by losing all bodily functions, and collapsing in a heap in the middle of my living room... a smiling heap.

:chuckle:

I hate to do this to you, but ...

If you had to choose between Austin and Elam, who do you take?

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
WR
RB
WR

I can dig it....Tavon Austin, come on down!

Fire Arians
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
damn. well i like sanders and wish him the best if he leaves (unless they play us)

im not sure if i like the idea of him walking, as it would create another need at the WR position. now who do we pick between austin / vacarro if the choice is there?

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
now who do we pick between austin / vacarro if the choice is there?

Tavon, by a mile

Rotorhead
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I like Sanders, but the extra third gives us lots of options now, trading up, deep draft, trading down for more picks. We should take the third!

Fire Arians
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I like Sanders, but the extra third gives us lots of options now, trading up, deep draft, trading down for more picks. We should take the third!

also forces us to draft a wr

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
the plot thickens

ESPN’s Ed Werder reported Wednesday that he expects the Steelers to match the Patriots’ offer sheet to Sanders, keeping the wide receiver in the fold.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/report-expect-steelers-to-keep-emmanuel-sanders/

PatsFan2003
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Well that was quick. I was getting excited for a second.

Fire Arians
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
it's new england's 3rd round pick, and they're one of the last picks. so really we'd be getting a 4th rounder

sanders is still young, nfl ready, and has come up big especially in the playoffs in his rookie season. we'd be stupid to let him go easily, he's still not shown his best football yet.

cowherpower
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
letting him go would mean having to get a WR that is NFL ready, dont fancy going into the season with only Brown, Cotch and Plax. maybe taking a WR in the first couple of rounds wouldnt be such a bad thing specially with another decent pick in the bank to address other areas of need

this is very similar to when NYG was to lose Manningham. He and Sanders are about equal in talent in my opinion. The Giants had Cruz waiting in the wings and even they didn't realize how good he could be. I think Gilreath is that guy. I am not saying he is as good but to be a 3rd WR for us is not a stretch. He showed great separation and he does know the offense. I wouldn't put it past them to draft WR in the mid/late rounds like always and go with our current guys to start the season. It's a deep WR draft.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
it's new england's 3rd round pick, and they're one of the last picks. so really we'd be getting a 4th rounder

sanders is still young, nfl ready, and has come up big especially in the playoffs in his rookie season. we'd be stupid to let him go easily, he's still not shown his best football yet.

I can't see the Steelers signing him for basically a one year rental deal for $4M - he'd still be an UFA next year

not when they could get a rookie for 4 years for peanuts

ebsteelers
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
the plot thickens

ESPN’s Ed Werder reported Wednesday that he expects the Steelers to match the Patriots’ offer sheet to Sanders, keeping the wide receiver in the fold.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/report-expect-steelers-to-keep-emmanuel-sanders/

and the excitment at steeler fever just went down the pooper.

they must expect to sign him to a long term deal then

desertsteel
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
One thing I will say about this situation, it creates more options for us. If we let him go, I definitely think that we go WR is round 1. Patterson looks the part but I think he has bust written all over him. I'd go with TA and then take another taller receiver in round 3 like Dobson or Bailey.

Either way, we have to make sure that Ben has weapons or we are screwed. The defense is not going to drop off much without JH and KL. I'm confident in the guys taking their slots. We have to be able to move the ball and score points in 2013.

PhantomJB93
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I expected us to match it. While it's fun to speculate what great prospects we could get with an extra third round pick on message boards, the reality is Sanders is an established receiver in our offense who we need and that late third rounder most likely wouldn't turn into anything special.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
and the excitment at steeler fever just went down the pooper.

they must expect to sign him to a long term deal then

back in saddle, again

Don't expect Steelers to match offer sheet

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/dont-expect-steelers-to-match-patriots-offer-sheet-to-emmanuel-sanders/

WR
RB
WR

now that's a sexy draft!

PettySteel
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM

:tt02:

I am with you SC, we don't need to use the pick for a player, but instead use it to jump up with either our first or second round..

PettySteel
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
He's good but not worth the reported 4 million they offered.. take the pick and get out of town as fast as you can..

steelfury02
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
this is just another sign of "a fresh start"

Brown still has a lot more to prove, and 2 out of the 3 Young Money crew will be gone and as a whole - highly overrated.

4 mil for a number 3? Eff that.

Don't let the door hit you.

That's right, at this point, I'm just going to enjoy the roster we will have and quit worrying about what could have been.

Vis
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
But it's a 1 year offer. The Steelers can sign him to a 4 year deal with a lower cap hit and it's still a better deal.

Pentheon
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
there goes my neighbor :(

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
But it's a 1 year offer. .

Steelers tried to lowball him through RFA and they got bit

The Steelers tendered a restricted free agent contract to Sanders of $1.323 million, which protected their rights to match any offer he would sign or receive a third-round draft choice in return, because that was the round in which Sanders was drafted.

They could have given him higher tenders of $2.023 million, which would have brought them a second-round pick, or $2.879 million, which would have brought them a first-round pick as compensation if he signed elsewhere and they passed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/sanders-gets-offer-from-patriots-steelers-have-until-sunday-to-match-682852/

Vis
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Even so, they let Sanders set the market. But my point is that the Steelers can match or exceed the Pats offer and they exceed it by offering a longer term.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Even so, they let Sanders set the market. But my point is that the Steelers can match or exceed the Pats offer and they exceed it by offering a longer term.

they set the market by giving him the minimum

they could have given him a higer tender and another $1M and for sure nobody would have touched him

I guess we'll find out - 5 days of drama coming up

scratch out all them mock drafts and start over!

New Young Money, I say!

Vis
04-10-2013, 01:02 PM
And the Pats wouldn't have signed him if it meant a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I demand entertainment

1 Tavon Austin WR
2 Le'Veon Bell RB
3 Aaron Dobson WR

now that's a sexy draft that Ben would approve

pete74
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
All these wide receivers coming out seem really good but realistically more then half will never make it. Even though Sanders is far from a great WR he can play and is definitely not a bust.

teegre
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
:chuckle:

I hate to do this to you, but ...

If you had to choose between Austin and Elam, who do you take?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

Elam... argh... Austin... no, wait... Elam... Austin is so dynamic... but Elam is awesome... Elam... argh... Austin... no, wait... Elam...

ETL
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I would take the extra 3rd round pick.

Vis
04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
The New England Patriots signed wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet today. They also signed another wide receiver today.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports the Patriots agreed to terms with wide receiver Julian Edelman on a one-year contract.

Steelstoned1972
04-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I demand entertainment

1 Tavon Austin WR
2 Le'Veon Bell RB
3 Aaron Dobson WR

That is quite sexy lol ! I think we could still get the defensive help we need . especially if we trade back in the first and pick up more picks if Austin is gone by 17. I think the Rams right ahead of us may be chomping at the bit to repace Amendola.

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Report: ‘Expect’ Steelers to keep Emmanuel Sanders

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 10, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-739-e1351714548163.jpg?w=244

It may be a little early to start wondering what number Emmanuel Sanders will wear in New England.

Werder, it should also be noted, said that the Steelers’ lack of cap space, plus the prospect of getting the Patriots’ third-round pick, are factors that also should be considered in Pittsburgh’s decision to match or not.

Were the Steelers to decline to match the offer to Sanders, they would receive the No. 91 pick. While this would be a cost-efficient move, it would also leave the Steelers rather thin at wide receiver behind top target Antonio Brown. The Steelers lost Mike Wallace to Miami earlier in free agency, and Sanders is expected to move into the starting lineup after three seasons as a reserve.

Sanders hauled in 44 passes for 626 yards and one TD in 16 games (seven starts) for Pittsburgh in 2012. No matter where he plays in 2013, Sanders looks like a good bet to get more opportunities in the passing game than he ever has.

Werder’s tweet suggests that the fourth-year wideout from SMU isn’t going anywhere, which figures to make Ben Roethlisberger happy.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
you're on the ball..........see post #33

sloppyjoe
04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
take the draft pick

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
take the draft pick

I would, but indications are that the Steelers will choose to match the offer and keep Sanders.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I would, but indications are that the Steelers will choose to match the offer and keep Sanders.

I don't know about that. Ed Werder just said it but he's basing it on the roster we have now and how 'thin' we are at receiver, apparently forgetting the draft is a couple of weeks away.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
here we go...

Patriots force Steelers’ hand with Sanders

The Patriots have reportedly signed Emmanuel Sanders, a restricted free agent, to an offer sheet. I love this move -- for New England.

New England is short on wide receivers, and getting Sanders for a late third-round pick (Sanders’ draft slot in 2010) would make this contending team better right away. Sanders has battled injuries, but there is no shame being stuck behind Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown during his time in Pittsburgh.

Like Brown, Sanders isn’t the biggest receiver around, but he is extremely quick and very good after the catch -- which is a must in the Patriots’ timing-based offense that Tom Brady runs so very well with great precision and accurate throws.

Sanders also has some deep-ball ability, and can line up outside the numbers or in the slot, although New England is pretty set with slot options Danny Amendola and Aaron Hernandez. But we all know that Bill Belichick craves players -- at any position -- with a wide skill set and capable of contributing in many ways. Sanders fits that, and is a great potential pickup for the price.

Not only would Sanders be a strong addition to the Patriots, but the move would also weaken a fellow AFC contender. With Wallace now in Miami, wide receiver is as great of a need for Pittsburgh as any other position. Sanders appeared to be set up to show what he could do as a starter opposite Brown. New England has far more salary-cap space and overall flexibility than the Steelers.

But worst of all for Pittsburgh, Sanders’ signing of this offer sheet forces the Steelers to make a decision they did not want to make. This is not the type of organization that wants other franchises to negotiate contracts for it -- which is essentially what New England did if Pittsburgh chooses to match, and matching could force the Steelers to further shuffle their roster and salary cap.

Also, I don’t think that the Steelers are excited about dealing a young, promising starting wide receiver for a very late third-round pick. Although they are not the clear contender the Patriots are, the Steelers are not in rebuilding mode, and who knows how much longer Ben Roethlisberger can continue playing at a high level with all the punishment he has withstood.

How will Pittsburgh respond? None of us know, but my hunch is the Steelers are not especially happy about either option presented to them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68395/patriots-force-steelers-hand-with-sanders

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
you're on the ball..........see post #33

if you expect me to see it, post more than a link...

teegre
04-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I think the Rams right ahead of us may be chomping at the bit to repace Amendola.

Yep. Austin fills the role Amendola played... and then some.

I do NOT see him being there at 17. In fact, all of the teams 12-16 could take him.

12. MIAMI They have two good WRs in Wallace & Hartline, which allows Austin to play the slot... against an opponent's 3rd CB. Austin will eat that 3rd CB alive. Plus, the Dolphins are trying to surround Tannehill with as many weapons as possible.

13. TAMPA BAY They have their outside guys in VJ & Mike Williams, plus an elite RB. So, once again, Austin would be tearing it up against a 3rd CB.

14. CAROLINA Learns from & eventually replaces another mighty might: Steve Smith.

15. NEW ORLEANS Yet another weapon for Drew Brees.

16. ST. LOUIS Duh.

Steel_Bus_24
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I like sanders and probably any other year I would say do what needs to be done to sign him.....but this years draft is especially deep at WR in rounds 2-4.

I don't want another Wallace situation where we get no compensation. So unless you plan to lock sanders up long term, take the 3rd

Pitt15
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Take the pick-build through the draft. Steelers will be stronger next year-locker room issues corrected, some coaching issues corrected. I have much faith in Cotchery, he's more clutch that those that we lost. Not counting on salvation from the draft class, but the draft class should include a couple of playmakers (used in specific situations). Season will be determined on the skill level of players like Worlds, Allen, Hood, Heyword, etc. I will take a TEAM of hard working focused players over talented primas every time.

LayingTheWoodley56
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we should definitely match this offer? I understand that we've lost some players and that its possible that this will be a down sort of year, but why are we resigning ourselves to sucking this year?

Regardless of whether we are able to lock up Sanders after next year, is it all that big of a deal to pay a good, young, home-grown receiver just 2.5 milllion dollars to play for the 2013 Steelers? If one thing is proven in today's NFL it's that any team can win the Super Bowl or contend, any year, and especially when they have a franchise quarterback in his prime. We can't deprive Ben of talent at the receiver position; Plax and Cotch are both okay veterans as third and fourth options, but neither should be starting for a team that has playoff aspirations. One third-round pick may turn into a future Pro Bowler; it may also be a guy who is off the team after one season.

For once, let's pay someone to keep playing for us. It's not a lot of money to keep what was once a promising young receiving corps intact for one more season.

harrison'samonster
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we should definitely match this offer? I understand that we've lost some players and that its possible that this will be a down sort of year, but why are we resigning ourselves to sucking this year?

Regardless of whether we are able to lock up Sanders after next year, is it all that big of a deal to pay a good, young, home-grown receiver just 2.5 milllion dollars to play for the 2013 Steelers? If one thing is proven in today's NFL it's that any team can win the Super Bowl or contend, any year, and especially when they have a franchise quarterback in his prime. We can't deprive Ben of talent at the receiver position; Plax and Cotch are both okay veterans as third and fourth options, but neither should be starting for a team that has playoff aspirations. One third-round pick may turn into a future Pro Bowler; it may also be a guy who is off the team after one season.

For once, let's pay someone to keep playing for us. It's not a lot of money to keep what was once a promising young receiving corps intact for one more season.

you make a good point. But Sanders has never developed into a reliable player in my opinion. I love the guy, and he comes up big every once and a while. But it seems there are an equal amount of times he drops an "easy" catch. He's like Nate Washington all over again.

Vis
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I'd match it, then extend him. Salary cap problem solved.

sloppyjoe
04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
2.5 million?...........no thanks.
take the pick

The_Joker
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
We'll sign him.

VaDave
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Did anybody post the terms of the offer? I'd like to take a gander at that before offering what we can or can't do.

WVABE
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
If he's not begging to stay here then F- em, let him go bye bye.

jtbsteeler
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
$2.5mil per adam shefter

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 43m

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

Bye bye E. I want the pick. They need it for a DB

VaDave
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks. That's a one year deal from what I understand. Right?

Unless there is an issue ( poison pill, injury) we don't know about, we will match, and or counter with multiple years, with a bigger signing bonus with cap hit deferred with future roster bonuses. Typical Omar Kahn stuff. We have a good possibility to lock this kid up for a while.

PatsFan2003
04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I've heard the rumor that the Pats will want to sign him to a multiple year deal once he's theirs. Maybe just a rumor.

Do the Steelers have the 2.5 million to match or will they need to rework a contract or two?

GMU Steeler
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Not sure how I feel about this. Losing Sanders would be bad for WR depth but at the same time, I wouldn't mind an extra draft pick either.

Buddha Bus
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I think I'd rather go with a known right now and keep him. He's shown enough promise in my eyes to get him re-signed, but only if we seal him up for a few years. I don't want a one-year rental that will bolt next season anyway.

Lock him up 3-4 years or take the pick (and your chances) in the draft.

jtbsteeler
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I think they have to match the 2.5mil first, then extend.

Again, Bye E.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
1. (17) - Tavon Austin
1. (30 via Falcons) - Matt Elam
3. (79) - Le'Veon Bell

Trade our 48th and 91st pick to move up 18 spots and grab Elam? Assuming we don't match the offer, of course.

Buddha Bus
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I've heard the rumor that the Pats will want to sign him to a multiple year deal once he's theirs. Maybe just a rumor.

Do the Steelers have the 2.5 million to match or will they need to rework a contract or two?

I think they are at about 2 million under right now. Probably will need at least one rework. Kiesel or Polamalu maybe.

Vis
place your bets. I say he stays

Fire Haley
$2.5mil per adam shefter

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 43m

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

ESPN sucks....Schefter's tweets trump Ed Werder

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the offer sheet is worth $2.5 million.

That’s roughly $1.2 million more than the value of Sanders’ one-year tender offer.

As of last week, the Steelers had $2.0 million in cap space. Which means that they could match the Sanders offer sheet, since $1.32 million already counts against the Steelers’ cap for Sanders’ tender offer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

jtbsteeler
04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
With the 4 picks in the first 2 days they could draft two defensive and 2 offensive players.

Or parley them and move up.

Keenan Allen or E. Sanders?

jtbsteeler
04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
place your bets. I say he stays

He's gone. It's time to get back to being financially fiscal. No more overpaying and restructuring.

Draft, draft, draft....

PatsFan2003
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
ESPN sucks....Schefter's tweets trump Ed Werder

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the offer sheet is worth $2.5 million.

That’s roughly $1.2 million more than the value of Sanders’ one-year tender offer.

As of last week, the Steelers had $2.0 million in cap space. Which means that they could match the Sanders offer sheet, since $1.32 million already counts against the Steelers’ cap for Sanders’ tender offer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

HAH. Very interesting. The Patriots certainly like to play it close.

FrancoLambert
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
If he's not begging to stay here then F- em, let him go bye bye.

I don't think any of "today's players" begs to stay anywhere.
Those days are gone.
Forget about "it was great to play my entire career with the............."
They all follow the green.

Kingmagyar
04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
With the 4 picks in the first 2 days they could draft two defensive and 2 offensive players.

Or parley them and move up.

Keenan Allen or E. Sanders?

How about 5 picks in the first 3 rounds? Good chance no one will be there by 17 that they love. Trade down slightly and pick up yet another 3. Is keeping Sanders for maybe only one more year worth the possible future. You can rebuild a team in a hurry with 5 of the top 92 players in a draft. I say let him walk. 4 TDs in his career and only 6 catches of 20 yards or more? That is not a #2 receiver.

Steelstoned1972
04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Yep. Austin fills the role Amendola played... and then some.

I do NOT see him being there at 17. In fact, all of the teams 12-16 could take him.

12. MIAMI They have two good WRs in Wallace & Hartline, which allows Austin to play the slot... against an opponent's 3rd CB. Austin will eat that 3rd CB alive. Plus, the Dolphins are trying to surround Tannehill with as many weapons as possible.

13. TAMPA BAY They have their outside guys in VJ & Mike Williams, plus an elite RB. So, once again, Austin would be tearing it up against a 3rd CB.

14. CAROLINA Learns from & eventually replaces another mighty might: Steve Smith.

15. NEW ORLEANS Yet another weapon for Drew Brees.

16. ST. LOUIS Duh.

Yep. he very well could be gone 12-16. That being said so could Vacarro , Elam, Jones , Patterson...who knows...It only takes one team to fall in love with a guy. Who woulda thought that Tim Tebow would go in the 1st round a few years back . All i know is that i cant wait to get this draft started !:tt03:

GMU Steeler
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Can you trade up with that pick? I know that you can't with comp picks but this is different than compensation pick like the one we acquired for Gay.

DanRooney
04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
5-11.

teegre
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Can you trade up with that pick? I know that you can't with comp picks but this is different than compensation pick like the one we acquired for Gay.

Yes.

This isn't a comp pick; it's a real pick (the 91st pick in the draft).

Fire Arians
04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
5-11.

come on man

H2P
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Let Him walk we an pick up Keenan Allen in the second or steed man bailey in the third

steel-EERS
04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
honestly sanders is a nice number 3 reciever, he ain't a game changer, let him walk and use the pick wisely

GMU Steeler
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Yes.

This isn't a comp pick; it's a real pick (the 91st pick in the draft).

Thanks I figured. Anyhow, I guess I lean in favor of letting the Pats have him. I wouldn't be upset if we kept him in the end but as I said, I would not mind having that extra third. I think that's worth more than Sanders.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Losing Emmanuel Sanders makes us go 5-11?

You guys do realize the amount of talent at receiver is in this draft, right? Oh, we also have Roethlisberger under center.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
In a draft that's not so good at the top but considered to be deep a extra third would be very valuable.

You could use that 91st pick in a lot of ways.

PATS16N0
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I like this deal for us.

Makes the ass kicking the Patriots are gonna' give you this season just a little tastier.
We just signed Julian Edelman back too.

We're about to be close to stacked on receiver again. However good you thought he was or going to be, he'll be five times better with Brady throwing him the ball

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 05:59 PM
1. (17) - Tavon Austin
1. (30 via Falcons) - Matt Elam
3. (79) - Le'Veon Bell

trades are so Madden ghey

you pimp your ride, I'll pimp mine

ha ha

like I said...

I demand entertainment

1 Tavon Austin WR
2 Le'Veon Bell RB
3 Aaron Dobson WR

Bane
04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
The big question here is, if they let Sanders walk, which I think they will do (no way they give in to the Patriots' games- see what I did?- with this little cap room left), will this alter the draft needs?

I mean, Sanders hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been great either. He's shown potential, but that's exactly why you draft someone- because of potential. With an extra third-rounder, the Steelers could potentially replace Sanders's production entirely, if not multiple times over.

I still see Safety as a bigger need in the first round. The team's first priority should be Kenny Vaccaro, unless Austin falls. If they manage to nab Vaccaro, then grabbing a receiver (Woods or Hunter, in my opinion) in the second would be the best course of action (again, in my opinion). Then, what do they do with that extra third-rounder? I don't see grabbing another receiver that high as being something necessary, given that the Steelers still have a pretty effective lineup in Brown, Cotchery, Burress, and the drafted player.

I say stick to the already-determined course of action, whether the front office's philosophy was to grab a WR high or not.

I'm still down for Brian Schwenke with the extra third rounder. :chuckle:

PATS16N0
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Sanders was buried beneath Wallace.
He'll have a 1000+ yard season at New England all day.

No way is Belichick giving up a third round pick for a WR for one year. If he made that offer it means Belichick plans on keeping him.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
like I said...

I like that draft too. My only knock on it was the lack of a Safety which is something we sorely need.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I like that draft too. My only knock on it was the lack of a Safety which is something we sorely need.

defense is so overrated these days

we had the #1 pass defense - - - and it got us 8-8

It's a passing and scoring league!

get in the game

5 WIDE, bitches!

go get Ben so weapons - if you can't score 30, don't even show up for the dance

Millers the sh!t
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I'll gladly take the third round pick. I'll never forget how big he came up for us in 2010.

Now he Seems injury prone and has a case of the drops and fumblias. I'm sure after a full season under his belt he'll develope into the playmaker I thought he would be his rookie season.

Millers the sh!t
04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
defense is so overrated these days

we had the #1 pass defense - - - and it got us 8-8

It's a passing and scoring league!

get in the game

5 WIDE, bitches!

go get Ben so weapons - if you can't score 30, don't even show up for the dance

Is this sarcasm?

Our defense got us the 8 in the left column and our shitbag offense got us the 8 in the right column.

The_Joker
04-10-2013, 06:33 PM

No way is Belichick giving up a third round pick for a WR for one year. If he made that offer it means Belichick plans on keeping him.

Yup. Interesting Mexican standoff the Pats, Stillers and Sanders are in.

Sharkissle29
04-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I know we have not seen much of Gilreath but I do not see why he couldn't step in and put up numbers that Sanders put up.

It is not like throwing in a rookie. He is young, knows our system, looked great in preseason...give the kid a shot! I think if they let Sanders walk, this means they have faith in what Gilreath can bring. We will see....

Sanders has shown flashes, but he has also shown that he can not stay healthy. I like him, but ill pass.

NSMaster56
04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Sanders may very well thrive in NE, but the value he will net the Steelers is far more than what he was likely to produce.

A win-win move for both PIT and NE.

Pats get a new weapon to deploy while the Steelers get a chance to find their next Hines Ward/Mike Wallace.

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Is this sarcasm?

Our defense got us the 8 in the left column and our shitbag offense got us the 8 in the right column.

I agree

Fire Haley!

no shit

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
I agree

Fire Haley!

no shit

I feel like a lot of people don't get your sarcasm.

Anyway, I think he's going to the Patriots. Belichick sees what we saw in him when we took him and now it'll probably pay off huge. Though, I don't know if he's going to be a 1000 yard receiver when he's going to again play second fiddle to Gronkowski, Amendola and Hernandez. Unfortunately for him, he's going to be in a similar situation he was in here in that he'll be playing behind three receivers that will see the ball with more consistency than he does. I think you're going to see him put up similar numbers there that he did here.

After all, how many TDs can you get when Gronk and Hernandez are uncoverable in the redzone?

Steelers5895
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
adios! I'll take the 3rd rd pick

Fire Haley
04-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I feel like a lot of people don't get your sarcasm

I'm inscrutable

I yam what I yam

chizzler
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
CSNNE saying they heard Steelers going to match.

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
CSNNE saying they heard Steelers going to match.

wonder who they would have heard that from?

Atlanta Dan
04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
After all, how many TDs can you get when Gronk and Hernandez are uncoverable in the redzone?

Gronk is having a rocky recovery from the broken arm - between Sanders and Gronk the Pats might get a combined 16 games in which one or the other is not injured

teegre
04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Sanders is going to go to the Taperiots, and be the next Wes Welker: 100 receptions, 1,000 yards, & 8 TDs per season for the next right seasons.

The Steelers will draft John Franklin with that R3 pick, and Franklin will play for nine seasons, averaging: 1200 rushing yards, 400 receiving yards, & 15 TDs per season.

Win... win.

surcalifero
04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
i say we keep sanders and forget about the pick. Sanders is only gonna get better with time. Historically, the Steelers suck at picking third round picks. Next yr, we can sign Sanders to a new deal and let go of Burress and Cotchery.

BlaZeQuietly
04-10-2013, 08:28 PM
i say we keep sanders and forget about the pick. Sanders is only gonna get better with time. Historically, the Steelers suck at picking third round picks. Next yr, we can sign Sanders to a new deal and let go of Burress and Cotchery.

what he said

Hawaii 5-0
04-10-2013, 08:31 PM

on the NFLN they said the Steelers have a historical average of 40% of finding a starter in the 3rd round, so that would suggest we would be better off keeping Sanders.

VaDave
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Sanders is going to go to the Taperiots, and be the next Wes Welker: 100 receptions, 1,000 yards, & 8 TDs per season for the next right seasons.

The Steelers will draft John Franklin with that R3 pick, and Franklin will play for nine seasons, averaging: 1200 rushing yards, 400 receiving yards, & 15 TDs per season.

Win... win.

If he catches 100 passed ala Wes Welker, it will be his last season. He'll be dead before it's over.:chuckle:

OliverPoop
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Obviously Colbert will take the pick and then piss it away in the draft.

To those of you who always talk up how great the Steeler draft is apparently you don't remember that come training camp half those picks won't even make the team or end up on practice squad.

Give the Pats and Ravens credit for actually trying to improve their teams instead of setting themselves up for cap hell year after year.

kan_t
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
If the Steelers are confident to get the extension done, match it. If they don't, take the pick.

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
on the NFLN they said the Steelers have a historical average of 40% of finding a starter in the 3rd round, so that would suggest we would be better off keeping Sanders.

Ernie Mills
Joel Steed
Andre Hastings
Jason Gildon
Bam Morris
Brendan Stai
Jon Witman
Paul Wiggins (BUST)
Chris Conrad (BUST)
Hines Ward
Joey Porter
Kris Farris (BUST)
Amos Zereoue
Kendrick Clancy (back up)
Chris Hope
Max Starks
Trai Essex (back up)
Anthony Smith (BUST)
Willie Reid (average at best)
Matt Spaeth (eh)
Bruce Davis (BUST)
Kraig Urbik (never got a chance)
Mike Wallace
Keenan Lewis
Manny Sanders
Curtis Brown (bust?)
Sean Spence (injured)

teegre
04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Looks like R3 is the round for the Steelers to draft WRs:
Mills
Hastings
Ward
Wallace
Sanders
...Dobson, Bailey, Hamilton, Swope, Wheaton...

(Stay away from O-line in R3.)

bornaSteelersfan
04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
I actually thought The Steelers should have given Sanders a 2nd or 1st round tender. I had a feeling this would happen long before he even visited with The Patriots. Based on that low tender, I don't think The Steelers ever thought he was that valuable. He dropped some passes last year including one that no one even touched him. I can't see them matching it for 1 year.

I also don't see how we could secure him for a longer contract when he signed an offer with another team already. We also need some new blood that doesn't have all the history of Arian's offense. I expect we won't match.

cowherpower
04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Obviously Colbert will take the pick and then piss it away in the draft.

To those of you who always talk up how great the Steeler draft is apparently you don't remember that come training camp half those picks won't even make the team or end up on practice squad.

Give the Pats and Ravens credit for actually trying to improve their teams instead of setting themselves up for cap hell year after year.

you may be right about that but a lot of that is due to us historically having such good players at most positions and a more intricate D that most cannot just step into as a rookie. Right now, I don't believe we are in that same position so I anticipate more making the squad. It's been since the middle of Cowher's regime since we had so many holes both for this upcoming season and for the seasons to follow. Colbert is a damn good GM and while I think we will suck this season, if he does what I think he will, we should be ready for another serious SB run come 2015 which should last through the end of Ben's career.

Bane
04-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Looks like R3 is the round for the Steelers to draft WRs:
Mills
Hastings
Ward
Wallace
Sanders
...Dobson, Bailey, Hamilton, Swope, Wheaton...

(Stay away from O-line in R3.)

I want Swope, so we can finally have that one white wide receiver that's compared to every other white wide receiver no matter who he actually plays like.

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I want Swope, so we can finally have that one white wide receiver that's compared to every other white wide receiver no matter who he actually plays like.

He could be 6'5 235 and run a 4.20 flat and he'd still be compared to Wes Welker. It's unreal.

Bane
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
He could be 6'5 235 and run a 4.20 flat and he'd still be compared to Wes Welker. It's unreal.

Wes Welker: 5'9", 185 lbs., 4.65 40.

Ryan Swope: 6', 206 lbs., 4.34 40.

Oh, I forgot, they're both white as fuck.

Then there's this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1594134-2013-nfl-draft-ryan-swope-hopes-to-be-the-next-wes-welker

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
lets see you have welker , amendola, stokley ,collie, hartline and uhhhh.....:noidea:

basically they are all cut from the same mold...:popcorn:

maybe decker has a bit of a different game

ImmortalStyle
04-11-2013, 03:10 AM
However good you thought he was or going to be, he'll be five times better with Brady throwing him the ball

Just like Brandon Lloyd huh? :blah:

Lokki
04-11-2013, 05:29 AM

Brandon Lloyd was just the decoy to draw coverage away from Welker and the tight ends. Same as Ocho, and Moss in his last season with them.

Kingmagyar
04-11-2013, 05:33 AM
The BIG debate is this:

If they let him walk they are opening themselves up for huge criticism not ony from the outside but from within. Other players will question why would they let him go for only 2.5 million and deplete their WR corp so much? It really would make no sense at that point in time. They also would be losing a player they have developed and drafted with a third round pick. They would be assuming a drafted WR could step right in and be at least a #3. They currently would have a starting 3 of only Brown, Cotchery, and Buress w/ experience. There might be only two viable FA WRs out there Laurent Robinson and Brandon Lloyd to replace him. And Finally do you want to see your former player with the Patriots competing against you maybe even in a playoff game?

What would make sense,
for the long term however is to let him go because he just may not be a true #2 receiver. 4 TDs total and 6 catches over 20 yards in his career? If your going to lose him anyway after the season then by all means take the offer. If you sign him your going to have to sign him for #2 money. How bad is the bone density problem in his feet that delayed healing the first time? You would have that 2.5 mil in cap space to sign up to two current free agents. Maybe the money for Ahmad Bradshaw is lost now. WRs Early Ducet, Brandon Lloyd or Laurent Robinson if he is still out there would be good additions. Especially Robinson who had a big year in Dallas before playing with a poor QB in Jacksonville. Robinson is 6' 2" 205 and put up 54 rec 858 yds 15.89 per catch and 11 Tds two years ago in Dallas. With an incredible crop of WRs in this years draft it seems likely considering more recent WRs coming out of college success that you could find two more.

I like the future with the extra draft pick, but I believe the Steelers will avoid a calculated gamble and match the offer to my regret.

Kingmagyar
04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Brandon Lloyd was just the decoy to draw coverage away from Welker and the tight ends. Same as Ocho, and Moss in his last season with them.

Brandon Lloyd's numbers with NE last year

Catches 74 911 Yards 12.31 Avg per 4 TDs

VaDave
04-11-2013, 05:50 AM
I actually thought The Steelers should have given Sanders a 2nd or 1st round tender. I had a feeling this would happen long before he even visited with The Patriots. Based on that low tender, I don't think The Steelers ever thought he was that valuable. He dropped some passes last year including one that no one even touched him. I can't see them matching it for 1 year.

I also don't see how we could secure him for a longer contract when he signed an offer with another team already. We also need some new blood that doesn't have all the history of Arian's offense. I expect we won't match.

It works like this. We match the offer, then tear up the contract and he signs a new one, presumably a longer deal with a good deal more money involved.

I would be surprised if the Steelers match if there was not a tacit agreement in place to sign an extension. The last thing they want is another Mike Wallace on their hands.

OK, how do we sign him to a $2.5 million contract when we only have $2 mil in caps space available? In our total cap number, it incudes our initial tender of $1.3 million to Sanders, so we would only have to show and additional $1.2 million by signing Sanders, not the whole $2.5.

If we match, the new contract should be something like in the 3 year range with an average cap hit of $1.6-$2 mill, with a good bit of it in the form of a signing bonus.

If Sanders thinks he's worth more than that, I'd say take the 3rd rounder, and let him get ground up and spit out in NE. Belicheck will have no problem cutting his butt when his body gives out, and it will under the pounding he'll likely get.

On the other hand, In this draft, there is some WR talent we can get that will have a cap hit of about $400K a year for the same three years, without too much drop off in talent.

One thing about Sanders though, we will surely miss his blocking a lot more than his receiving.

kan_t
04-11-2013, 05:58 AM
lets see you have welker , amendola, stokley ,collie, hartline and uhhhh.....:noidea:

basically they are all cut from the same mold...:popcorn:

maybe decker has a bit of a different game

Jordy Nelson

Lokki
04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Brandon Lloyd's numbers with NE last year

Catches 74 911 Yards 12.31 Avg per 4 TDs

But look at his stats in 2010 with KYLE ORTON & TIM TEBOW as his quarterbacks.

2010 DEN 77 Catches 1,448 Yards 18.8 Avg per 11TDs

His stats below for 2011 split between Tebow in Denver and Bradford in St. Louis.

2011 DEN 19 283 14.9 0
2011 STL 51 683 13.4 5

So his stats with Brady weren't amazing compared to what he has done with lesser talented QBs. His combined stats in 2011 was: 70 catches 966 yards 5 TDs. Again, I think he was primarily used as a decoy.

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-11-2013, 08:07 AM

What Steeler receiver had more yards (910 yards) last year than Lloyd?

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM

His stats below for 2011 split between Tebow in Denver and Bradford in St. Louis.

2011 DEN 19 283 14.9 0
2011 STL 51 683 13.4 5

So his stats with Brady weren't amazing compared to what he has done with lesser talented QBs.

Apparently, you missed the fact that in 2010/11 he was the primary target vs being 3rd or 4th in 2012.

This tends to matter.

JackH
04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
I think Colbert should send Belichick a thank you note that says, "Thanks for taking Sanders and giving us your 3rd round draft pick, and freeing up some money not only this year but in future years. This, however, does not make up for Spygate."

maddog78
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Easy decision, take the 3rd round pick. ES never stayed healthy or lived up to expectations.

kan_t
04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Letting Sanders go not only giving the Steelers a third round pick, but also freeing up more money for the Steelers to pursue FA, e.g. Ahmad Bradshaw.

The more I think about it, the more I want the Steelers NOT to match the offer sheet.

PatsFan2003
04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
As a Patriots fan I think he'll be more of a benefit to them then he would for the Steelers. Sanders doesn't have to be a #2 reciever as a much a viable option that will require defenses to play attention to him. I think he can do that.

From what I've seen of him (and it's not near as much as people here) he seems pretty good and will do well in Foxboro.

kan_t
04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
As a Patriots fan I think he'll be more of a benefit to them then he would for the Steelers. Sanders doesn't have to be a #2 reciever as a much a viable option that will require defenses to play attention to him. I think he can do that.

From what I've seen of him (and it's not near as much as people here) he seems pretty good and will do well in Foxboro.
I have no doubt that he can do well for the Pats. I think he can be a rock solid No.2. Health is key there. The offer sheet could be a win-win situation for the Steelers and the Pats.

TRH
04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm with many here. Let him go to the Patriots.

VaDave
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
It's a shrewd move by the Pats for sure, but only if they can get more than one year out of him. I guarantee that if Sanders ends up staying, and what his contract turns out to be, he is not going to play 2013 with a cap hit of $2.4 million. It has to be a muli year deal either way to defer the hit. Unless we get a tacit approval on an extension, he's yours, and we'll gladly take your 3rd round pick.

BTW, I like Sanders, but as a # two..... that's going to be a stretch in a pass happy offense. One thing though, you'll end up with the best blocking flanker in the game, until he breaks down.

teegre
04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Jordy Nelson

Steve Largent

Bane
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Steve Largent

Matt Jones.

Ishkabibble
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
The responses on this thread are all over the place. Don't know that I've seen a topic with this many posts where the issue seems split right down the middle; 50% bring him back and 50% take the pick. The (smart) $2.5M offer sheet is also right at the tipping point too; Steelers likely wouldn't want to pay more but if it were $2M re-upping would be an easy decision.
Personally, I say match the offer. Sanders doubled his productivity from 2011 last season and going into 2013 w/ Brown, Plax and a draft pick or two would be frightening. Worse yet, we all know Brady would probably find a way to turn this guy into an 80-85 catch Pro Bowl-caliber receiver.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Worse yet, we all know Brady would probably find a way to turn this guy into an 80-85 catch Pro Bowl-caliber receiver.

If that happens I would consider those stats as ( product of the system ) the way the play offense you could almost put anyone nfl receiver in there and they will get 60 plus catches. He will never reach 80 catches here with the steelers.

So if he goes to ne and has a bunch of catches I hope fans don't freak out and consider it a very bad move because its the system of the patriots.

If we can some how get a combo of either Hopkins/woods in the second then either swope or bailey in the third I would be a very happy man sitting in my chair with wings sauce all over my shirt come draft time.

teegre
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Matt Jones.

Jason Sehorn.

Uh... :wink02:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Jason Sehorn.

Uh... :wink02:

Who was the guy that played I believe for the redskins and had so many concussions last name started with a T I believe.

Edit: maybe I'm thinking of Wayne cherbet from the jets......I was way off lol

Ishkabibble
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
If that happens I would consider those stats as ( product of the system ) the way the play offense you could almost put anyone nfl receiver in there and they will get 60 plus catches. He will never reach 80 catches here with the steelers.

So if he goes to ne and has a bunch of catches I hope fans don't freak out and consider it a very bad move because its the system of the patriots.

If we can some how get a combo of either Hopkins/woods in the second then either swope or bailey in the third I would be a very happy man sitting in my chair with wings sauce all over my shirt come draft time.

Yeah, my thinking is Brandon Lloyd had 74/911 in his one season in N.E. and the Patriots didn't even want him back. System for sure but the QB is great and has a history of doing stuff like this.
Also, the 3rd round pick is damn near a 4th round pick. Not to say you couldn't get a good player (T.Y. Hilton went to the Colts w/ the 91st pick last year) but in the end, they're still just draft picks; maybe they'll work out, maybe not.

PatsFan2003
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I have no doubt that he can do well for the Pats. I think he can be a rock solid No.2. Health is key there. The offer sheet could be a win-win situation for the Steelers and the Pats.

No question. Unfortunately the Patriots let the one reciever go that never seemed to get hurt....

We're still scratching our heads over that one.

teegre
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Who was the guy that played I believe for the redskins and had so many concussions last name started with a T I believe.

Edit: maybe I'm thinking of Wayne cherbet from the jets......I was way off lol

LOL

Peyton Hillis... uh...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Was it Mike Wallace? :noidea: errr, nope. :doh:

I'll take Early Hungarian Cabinet Making for 300 Alex.

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
No question. Unfortunately the Patriots let the one reciever go that never seemed to get hurt....

We're still scratching our heads over that one.

Why?

Amendola has been mentioned in various Patriots sites since 2010/11.

The Patriots offense is a constant evolution.

The "problem" currently facing the Patriots is a two TE, uptempo offense is unprecedented since the combination of mismatches, formations, and number of plays run make it virtually impossible to defend.

That's also the problem since loss of one of the TE's makes almost impossible to replicate and the number of plays run makes is likely one of the TE's will get hurt.

Last year, the Patriots ran almost 1300 offensive plays in the regular season. The Steelers would have had to play almost 20 games to hit that play total.

My best guess is Belichick wants to get to the point were the talent available has redundancy so loss of either Gronk/AHern doesn't result as big a drop off as in the past two years.

Sanders actually fits pretty well in that scenario. Wes....not so much.

PatsFan2003
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Why?

Amendola has been mentioned in various Patriots sites since 2010/11.

The Patriots offense is a constant evolution.

The "problem" currently facing the Patriots is a two TE, uptempo offense is unprecedented since the combination of mismatches, formations, and number of plays run make it virtually impossible to defend.

That's also the problem since loss of one of the TE's makes almost impossible to replicate and the number of plays run makes is likely one of the TE's will get hurt.

Last year, the Patriots ran almost 1300 offensive plays in the regular season. The Steelers would have had to play almost 20 games to hit that play total.

My best guess is Belichick wants to get to the point were the talent available has redundancy so loss of either Gronk/AHern doesn't result as big a drop off as in the past two years.

Sanders actually fits pretty well in that scenario. Wes....not so much.

The one receiver that really hasn't missed a game was Welker. The rest from Gronk on down through Edelman have missed many games (and I like a lot of our recievers).

In fact the Patriots had the money to sign Amendola AND Welker.

AND Sanders for that matter.

Just seems strange to lose such a reliable reciever. I'm not going anywhere, I still think Belichick is the best etc, but I thought it was a strange move.

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I'll take Early Hungarian Cabinet Making for 300 Alex.

I'll take "The Rapists" for $200...

SteelersCanada
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
I'll take "The Rapists" for $200...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/NIN_Crow_Floyd/SNLJEOPARDYWager.jpg

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM

:toofunny:

AWESOME!!!

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
The one receiver that really hasn't missed a game was Welker. The rest from Gronk on down through Edelman have missed many games (and I like a lot of our recievers).

In fact the Patriots had the money to sign Amendola AND Welker.

AND Sanders for that matter.

Just seems strange to lose such a reliable reciever. I'm not going anywhere, I still think Belichick is the best etc, but I thought it was a strange move.

Sean Payton staffs the New Orleans offense with receivers that have singular yet overlapping talents.

That's the same concept that drives BB to constantly play with the TE's. Absent drafting another stud TE......I don't see recreating a Gronk/AHern offense.

Wes and Amendola most likely were too overlapping. Amenola would fit between Welker and Sanders. Sanders would more overlap AHern.

Besides Wes was outside more in 2012. Amendola is most likely more suited for that role.

The goal going forward seems to still be two TE's along with negating the problems of having either Gronk/AHern out. It's already cost the last two Lombardi's.

austinfrench76
04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Take the 3rd round pick, package it with our other 3rd rounder to move back into the 2nd round. We end up with 1st, 2 seconds, 4th, 5th, etc. Sounds good to me.

I know Bouchette wrote about that, if they keep Sanders we end up with another lame duck WR riding out his last year. Probably true and NE probably has told Sanders they will pay him more, with more years, next year. Either way we win. We get an extra 3rd rounder or we pay him 1mm (2.51mm this year vs his tender) more and keep him and develop a high round WR this year. Not a bad situation. And I didn't read through 17 pages of thread so if this duplicates anything already posted, my apologies.

MeanGee2047
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
If they match there is still a strong possibility he will not be back next year...clearly this is now a rebuilding year with all the holes and ? marks on offense & defense...they should take the 3rd round pick...thoughts Steeler nation?:helmet:

Lokki
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
http://aggiesprite.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/nooooooo.png

I want that 3rd round pick.

CrickRat23
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
The more I think about it, I say let him go. I think Cotchery will be capable of taking over the number two duties next to Brown. Draft a guy in rounds one or two to compete for the number two. ( Even though I would love to go defense in the 1st round ).

LVSteelersfan
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

We have seen Sanders the injured year after year. Good luck with him staying healthy. 1000 yard seasons don't come to players who are sitting on the bench.

MACH1
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
If they match there is still a strong possibility he will not be back next year...clearly this is now a rebuilding year with all the holes and ? marks on offense & defense...they should take the 3rd round pick...thoughts Steeler nation?:helmet:

Merged this with the thread in the main forum.

Got a link for this?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Well played. :hatsoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vc4kAswXso

Sharkissle29
04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Take the 3rd round pick, package it with our other 3rd rounder to move back into the 2nd round. We end up with 1st, 2 seconds, 4th, 5th, etc. Sounds good to me.

I know Bouchette wrote about that, if they keep Sanders we end up with another lame duck WR riding out his last year. Probably true and NE probably has told Sanders they will pay him more, with more years, next year. Either way we win. We get an extra 3rd rounder or we pay him 1mm (2.51mm this year vs his tender) more and keep him and develop a high round WR this year. Not a bad situation. And I didn't read through 17 pages of thread so if this duplicates anything already posted, my apologies.

I think I would honestly stay put at our draft spots. This is not that talented of a draft to get excited to have 2 2nd round picks, but it is deep.

We have a lot of needs, so i'd rather take all the picks we can get to try and fill those.

sluggermatt15
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I started thinking about this situation with Sanders as soon as I saw it online this morning. I honestly believe it's an EASY decision for the Steelers. They have to keep him. He had the best year of his career in 2012-2013, and is showing promise on the field. I think if he puts in more work, continues to improve, and accepts his role (if he sticks around) as a top-2 WR on the team, he'll blossom into a nice player.

I don't see how Pittsburgh can afford to let him go. If he leaves, who is our #2 WR? Cotchery and Burress? No way for either of them. Those guys are aged veterans who are no longer capable of being a top option at WR. They're great for younger guys to work with, practice with, and gain valuable tips and experience from. But they aren't what the Steelers need at the #2 position.

I don't buy that a 3rd round pick will replace Sanders. Would the Steelers use the pick as a trade to acquire a WR? Do they go into FA for one? Their cap situation is pretty tight. Re-signing Sanders would only cost about $1.3M more. If they go the draft route, I doubt a rookie will make as great of an impact as Sanders would in 2013-2014, either.

Am I crazy?

Galax Steeler
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I started thinking about this situation with Sanders as soon as I saw it online this morning. I honestly believe it's an EASY decision for the Steelers. They have to keep him. He had the best year of his career in 2012-2013, and is showing promise on the field. I think if he puts in more work, continues to improve, and accepts his role (if he sticks around) as a top-2 WR on the team, he'll blossom into a nice player.

I don't see how Pittsburgh can afford to let him go. If he leaves, who is our #2 WR? Cotchery and Burress? No way for either of them. Those guys are aged veterans who are no longer capable of being a top option at WR. They're great for younger guys to work with, practice with, and gain valuable tips and experience from. But they aren't what the Steelers need at the #2 position.

I don't buy that a 3rd round pick will replace Sanders. Would the Steelers use the pick as a trade to acquire a WR? Do they go into FA for one? Their cap situation is pretty tight. Re-signing Sanders would only cost about $1.3M more. If they go the draft route, I doubt a rookie will make as great of an impact as Sanders would in 2013-2014, either.

Am I crazy?

Patterson from Tennessee could make an impact from day one.He isn't the only one there are a few more and if we did keep Sanders he would be like Wallace was this year he would be gone after this year.

pete74
04-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Any Wr we draft has just as much chance as being a bust as they do being a starter. There are a ton of WR coming out of college every year that look awesome and end up being busts. If we count on a rookie Wr coming in and starting were going to have problems. There is no AJ Green or Julio Jones WRs in this draft.
As for Patterson he has potential but he also needs alot of work and probably needs at least a year of practice

Galax Steeler
04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
You can never tell who is going to shine and who isn't with that being said you never know who the next AJ Green or Julio Jones will be it could be someone in the 6th or 7th round of the draft. I am just saying if we loose Sanders to me it is no big deal he never proved to be no more then a number three receiver at best and that can be found in the draft very easy.

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Am I crazy?

I guess it all depends on what the Steelers had in plan for Sanders and the future. If they weren't going to give him any money to stick around, getting a 3rd rounder for him now makes sense. If they think he's too valuable to the team, stand up for him.

Also taken into consideration is the point you hit on. Can we draft somebody to produce, well that's a risk. Can Burress or Cotchery step up for a year? I honestly can't answer that, but we'll see what the Steelers think

steel-EERS
04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
honestly the pats are just as likely to get the sanders with foot problems as the healthy one, nothing special IMO take the 3rd rounder and move on!

cowherpower
04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
It'd be nice for once to see the Steelers pay for future production rather than rewarding for past production i.e. Troy, Woodley. Let's not forget that if not for injury he was slated to start opposite Wallace as he is faster, runs better routes and had more of a pedigree. But Brown surpassed him and that was that. Personally, on the rare occasion Ben has time and looks his way he seems open. A lot of that could have been because of Wallace or the 3 or 4 wide sets he was in on.

They kind of have their hands tied on this one. They pay him, it eats up most of their remaining cap, he has a good year and they lose him anyway...or you let him go and you HAVE to draft a WR. I actually like Crotchery Brown and Burress. If Ben is as good as people here think he is his play alone should elevate that core.

I would think you can find a replacement for Sanders in the second round and be a better team for it. You also get a third rounder and this team needs all the talent it can get. I think guys like Woods, Hunter, Allen, Stills can be had in the second at our pick or later if we trade back. Any of them would make you quickly forget about Sanders.

NSMaster56
04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Why keep Sanders? What's the upside?

He's cheap in 2013 with no guarantee of being more than marginally productive. After that he's a UFA.

Even IF he does produce, then you have to pay him... what are the odds the FO does that?

WR's are a dime a dozen. Take the third rounder and run. More potential [production] in the pick, equal or less pay, more years of control of the player and only slightly more (overall) risk should the player become the next Wallace or go bust.

Seems like a no-brainer.

cloppbeast
04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
They ought to match and they probably will. The Steelers are in a unique situation of clamoring for starters. I highly doubt they want to go into the draft needed young talent at yet another position. And they will not find an immediate starter in the third round. Colbert will have to match whether he likes it or not.

And why shouldn't he like it? Sanders has talent, we've seen it. Unless u believe the injury prone label there's really no reason not to lock him up long term.

OX1947
04-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I though thats why they got Amendola.

ImmortalStyle
04-12-2013, 01:18 AM

2011 DEN 19 283 14.9 0
2011 STL 51 683 13.4 5

So his stats with Brady weren't amazing compared to what he has done with lesser talented QBs. His combined stats in 2011 was: 70 catches 966 yards 5 TDs.

That was the point of my post in reference to the implication that Sanders and or any receiver will perform 5x better as soon as Brady is their QB.

ImmortalStyle
04-12-2013, 01:21 AM

You quoted my post then asked a question totally non germane to my statement, but Ill play along.

None.

So what?

ImmortalStyle
04-12-2013, 01:27 AM

I disagree. They wanted more from each, but it did not materialize. None of these guys were brought in to be decoys, and its likely Ocho and Lloyd rarely saw a double team all year.

fansince'76
04-12-2013, 03:01 AM
That was the point of my post in reference to the implication that Sanders and or any receiver will perform 5x better as soon as Brady is their QB.

But he's the BEST EVURRRRRRR! (Never mind being arguably outplayed in 2 Super Bowls by Eli "Gomer" Manning and decisively outplayed in 2 AFCCGs, at home, no less, by Joe "Moonball" Flacco)

Bayz101
04-12-2013, 03:47 AM
But he's the BEST EVURRRRRRR! (Never mind being arguably outplayed in 2 Super Bowls by Eli "Gomer" Manning and decisively outplayed in 2 AFCCGs, at home, no less, by Joe "Moonball" Flacco)

Nuh-uhhhhhhhhhh!

Just look at all the Super Bowl's he's won since Spygate! :chuckle:

VaDave
04-12-2013, 05:43 AM
In fairness, say what you want about the lack of SuperBowls, and "DInk and Dunk" but the guy's tossing up numbers never seen in NFL history. If the Pats had a decent defense, I have no doubt he would have had a few more Super Bowls.

It's high time some of Steeler Nation drop this spygate thing that was dealt with 10 years ago, and acknowledge Brady and Co has been playing some pretty stinking good football up there.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-12-2013, 06:22 AM
In fairness, say what you want about the lack of SuperBowls, and "DInk and Dunk" but the guy's tossing up numbers never seen in NFL history. If the Pats had a decent defense, I have no doubt he would have had a few more Super Bowls.

It's high time some of Steeler Nation drop this spygate thing that was dealt with 10 years ago, and acknowledge Brady and Co has been playing some pretty stinking good football up there.

I think we are realize that brady is a good qb and that pat are a good team....at least I do, I respect them as a good football team.

But they have not won a Super Bowl since 05 I believe and we have won 2 since then so recently the steelers have been a better football team. And I think it goes and shows everyone that Brady all though a good qb isn't "great" meaning he needed a star studded defense to win his superbowls like most qbs even Big Ben. It's just here in steelers nation seeing Tom Brady getting some much love and attention from the media is very annoying

austinfrench76
04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
^^^What that guy said! F Brady and Spygate is a big deal. It wasn't "dealt with" 10 years ago! Did they take their Lombardi's back?!?! Then it wasn't "dealt with".

ebsteelers
04-12-2013, 11:41 AM

not sure I agree with this.
his defenses played fairly well in both superbowls vs. the giants.

gave up 17, and 21 (2 of which were a safety).

his high powered offenses got junked on in the big games recently..
averaging over 28 points a game turned into poor offensive performances

VaDave
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Point taken EB.

Austin

Sometime life is not fair. The fact that the NFL didn't deal with it, does not get you a pass on getting over it. That's a good football club there.

zcoop
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
not sure I agree with this.
his defenses played fairly well in both superbowls vs. the giants.

gave up 17, and 21 (2 of which were a safety).

his high powered offenses got junked on in the big games recently..
averaging over 28 points a game turned into poor offensive performances

You're right about both games but the better TEAM won the game. I keep stating on this board that the TEAM and not one player wins the game. Brady is clearly better than Eli Manning but Manning's TEAM pulled together to win.

BTW, both defenses played well also given the offenses that they were up against.

JackH
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
^^^What that guy said! F Brady and Spygate is a big deal. It wasn't "dealt with" 10 years ago! Did they take their Lombardi's back?!?! Then it wasn't "dealt with".

Exactly.

I still hear the expression "Remember the Alamo!" don't you?

The Patriots coughed up some trivial money and a draft pick for Spygate and got some dances with Tiffany (Lombardi Trophies) in return. Unfortunately, the commissioner chose to destroy all the evidence.

And what we have learned since is that the Patriots can't win a Super Bowl without cheating, much as Barry Bonds can't hit 73 home runs without cheating. Some say Barry Bonds didn't cheat, but I remember when he played for the Pirates and he had a little head. Belichick should keep that head of his under the hoodie and hide in shame.

Vis
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Report: Steelers '50-50' to keep RFA Emmanuel Sanders

John Clayton of ESPN reports the Steelers are "50-50" to match restricted free wide receiver agent Emmanuel Sanders' one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet with the Patriots.

The Steelers have until 11:59 p.m. Eatern Sunday to match the offer.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/34304/Report--Steelers--50-50--to-keep-RFA-Emmanuel-Sanders/Default.aspx

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
You quoted my post then asked a question totally non germane to my statement, but Ill play along.

None.

So what?

Yeah...that about sums it up.:doh:

The 4th option in the other offense has more receiving yards that anyone in your offense and you question...the 4th option in the other offense?

patsfaninpittsburgh
04-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Exactly.

The Patriots coughed up some trivial money and a draft pick for Spygate and got some dances with Tiffany (Lombardi Trophies) in return. Unfortunately, the commissioner chose to destroy all the evidence.

And what we have learned since is that the Patriots can't win a Super Bowl without cheating, much as Barry Bonds can't hit 73 home runs without cheating. Some say Barry Bonds didn't cheat, but I remember when he played for the Pirates and he had a little head. Belichick should keep that head of his under the hoodie and hide in shame.

It could be worse.

At the game in Seattle last year, all the Seahawks fans could talk about was the head official admitting they threw Super Bowl XL.

Imagine having the better team yet really, truly losing a Lombardi Trophy due to the league rigging a Super Bowl.

Besides, you should think of "Spygate" as a blessing. Without "Spygate" both AFCCG's would have been a much bigger beat down.......................like the 2007 and 2010 games.

"Spygate" was really a "let's limit the humiliation of the Steelers at Heinz Field" league initiative.

Ofcourse, if getting completely humiliated is your thing......2007 and 2010 worked wonders.

Vis
04-12-2013, 01:13 PM
It could be worse.

At the game in Seattle last year, all the Seahawks fans could talk about was the head official admitting they threw Super Bowl XL.

Imagine having the better team yet really, truly losing a Lombardi Trophy due to the league rigging a Super Bowl.

Besides, you should think of "Spygate" as a blessing. Without "Spygate" both AFCCG's would have been a much bigger beat down.......................like the 2007 and 2010 games.

"Spygate" was really a "let's limit the humiliation of the Steelers at Heinz Field" league initiative.

Ofcourse, if getting completely humiliated is your thing......2007 and 2010 worked wonders.

Here is a pile of troll bullshit to exceed all others

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
It could be worse.

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::monkey:

VaDave
04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Exactly.

I believe most Texans have gotten over the Alamo at this point, but maybe If Mexico would have become a more prosperous nation... then I could see your point.

Let me be perfectly clear here, I in no way condone what happened with the Patriots, and make no attempts to poo poo what they did. Much the same as I feel about the Black Sox, Millie Vanillie, and Richard Nixon.... you get over it.

And in the words of Richard Nixon, " My Fellow Americans, I said all of this to say this about that....."

Spy grate was a crap sandwich in a bag. I dig that. But for some, instead of throwing it away, it's carried around in perpetuity. From time to time, the bag gets opened you get a nice wiff, and then you keep on truckin. It's totally ridiculous after this much time to be hauling that thing around.

Life is too sweet and WAY to short to be worried about what could have, or should have been.

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
yes, because I really care what Seattle fans talk about at their games! Coffee, rain, Nirvana, saving the whales. driving mini coopers.

vasteeler
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
It could be worse.

now, where is that "shut the $#@% up you useless idiot" button again?
:noidea: i cant find it anywhere

PATS16N0
04-12-2013, 01:47 PM
It could be worse.

Finally someone on this forum that makes sense.

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
now, where is that "shut the $#@% up you useless idiot" button again?
:noidea: i cant find it anywhere

Let me know when you find that one VA. :doh:

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
http://images2.makefive.com/images/entertainment/comedy/monty-python-skits/brain-surgery-7.jpg

"Finally Somebody that makes sense."

the meeting of two Patriots fans

Lokki
04-12-2013, 01:51 PM
It could be worse.

http://t.qkme.me/3t1s.jpg

Bayz101
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Patriots fan talking about humiliation?

Didn't you bums lose to Eli twice? How many Super Bowl's have you won since the video cameras we're turned off?

The fuck out of here.

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110212160913/montypython/images/1/19/D.P..jpg

"Patriots didn't loose twice to Eli"

http://content9.flixster.com/question/42/21/61/4221611_std.jpg

"Yeah, and If it weren't for losing twice to him, we'd be the best ever!"

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 01:56 PM
How did the Pats* fare against us last time again?

Blacksburg Zach
04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Eli Manning did not beat the New England Patriots. The New York Giants beat the New England Patriots. Quarterbacks do not beat teams by themselves.

Lokki
04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.curiousmitch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/eli-tom.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Bayz101
04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Eli Manning did not beat the New England Patriots. The New York Giants beat the New England Patriots. Quarterbacks do not beat teams by themselves.

Either way, Patriots fans are talking to US about humiliation?

Screw that shit.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
To these pats fan I have a question

When was the last time you won a Super Bowl?

Oh yeah 05....we have won two since then.

Kingmagyar
04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Maybe it boils down to this:

Emanual Sanders for one year at 2.5 mil (which is about what they paid Foote to back up Farrior or Randel El to return to the team as a 3rd WR)

or take the 2.5 mil and use it to

sign Ahmad Bradshaw if he is healthy or another FA RB who is and
sign a FA WR like Early Ducet or Laurent Robinson if he is free of concussion symptoms.
plus you get the 91st pick in the draft to take up to two WRs in the first three rounds from names below with 40 times.

Tavon Austin 4.28
Cordarrelle Paterson 4.33
Robert Woods 4.42
Justin Hunter 4.36
Terrance Williams 4.48
Quinton Patton 4.48
Markus Wheaton 4.40
Marquis Goodwin 4.21
Ryan Swope 4.28
Steadman Bailey 4.46
Aaron Dobson 4.43
Kenny Stills 4.32
Tavarres King 4.40
Josh Boyce 4.34
Corey Fuller 4.32

Counted 13 more in the top 40 with 4.4 range, then there is all the guys that run in the low 4.5's who are great receivers like Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, and Da'rick Rogers among others.

The Steelers can afford Sanders but it would cost them probably signing Bradshaw at least until after June 1st. It may cost them a whole lot more in the future to keep him.

Bane
04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Anyone who mentions Super Bowl XL's officiating but doesn't acknowledge how the refs tried to dick the Steelers out of the Divisional Playoff game against the Colts can go to hell. Unless it's an end of the game decision (like the Fail Mary pass), the better team will still, much more often than not, win.

pczach
04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
These Pats fans can take a flying leap. Why don't you go comb Tommy Boy's hair instead of creeping around on another team's message board. Dickheads....:blah:

Back to Sanders. Let him go. Let's get some new blood for less money. Like others have said, it's a no win for the Steelers. If he sucks or is injured again, you paid 2.5 million bucks for him for one year. If he plays great, he's a FA at end of year and you'll have to pay him big bucks to keep him in a new contract. Take the draft pick that you won't get if you keep him and then lose him.

ebsteelers
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
what i dont get his if your a pats fan why are you here anyway?

wouldnt you rather talk about your team on your board? or go trash a team in your division?

o wait that would make sense

steelers 2
giants 2
pats 0

so get the fuck out

Fire Arians
04-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Why don't you go comb Tommy Boy's hair instead of creeping around on another team's message board. Dickheads....:blah:

:rofl:

Fire Arians
04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
hey man don't you dare trash such a loyal fanbase such as the patriots. they've all been hardcore fans since 2001 and don't remember who their quarterback was before drew bledsoe. yeah most of them probably used to wear red sox gear to their football games, if they even bothered, but that's because they love the city of boston so much.

pczach
04-12-2013, 02:32 PM
hey man don't you dare trash such a loyal fanbase such as the patriots. they've all been hardcore fans since 2001 and don't remember who their quarterback was before drew bledsoe. yeah most of them probably used to wear red sox gear to their football games, if they even bothered, but that's because they love the city of boston so much.

That is complete bullshit! They have great fans. I've seen at least 3 Grogan shirts in the stands in the last 12 years. And how about that Jim Plunkett. He was a hell of a player for another team not named the Patriots.

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
:rofl:

Galax Steeler
04-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Finally someone on this forum that makes sense.

:jerkit:

The_Joker
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
So much butthurt here...

Bane
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
18-1.

Sorry.

I sneezed.

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Big fucking whoop. The Seahawks fans have been so desperate for someone to listen to their crap, they are willing to jump at anyone who seems to offer a shoulder to cry on.

Bill Leavy claimed to have regretted some calls in the game, while he was hanging around the watercooler at Seahawks' training camp a year or two back. Mike Piera from the NFL Officiating Committee shortly after offered his retort:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ref-taking-super-mistakes-too-hard

Hawaii 5-0
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
It could be worse.

thanks for the good laugh, you truly are a funny guy! :rofl:

Ricco Suavez
04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
When Patriots fans say crap like "Why make a big deal out of Spygate? It did not make any difference in any games." I always ask one simple question. If not a big deal then why? Why did Belichek think it was important enough to defy the edict handled down by the league only a few weeks before and continue to video games from areas considered off limits? If it was important enough to risk a fine and exposure then it sure as hell must have been important to the Patriots success. Three Superbowls decided by 3 points or less and since 2 Superbowls decided by a TD or less, Hmmmm.

The_Joker
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Idgaf about Spygate anymore.

fansince'76
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Speaking of rigged games...

_QRgtGuVE_0

defence
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Wow 227 posts on Emmanuel who?? C'mon; we should be buying a Pats fan a drink for one of the dumbest moves in a long time. I just hope the Steelers aren't going to be stupid enough to match. But I think he's as good as gone; I hope!!:applaudit:

stb_steeler
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM

_QRgtGuVE_0

What makes it even more ridiculous is, the tuck rule has been banished! :doh:

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
What makes it even more ridiculous is, the tuck rule has been banished! :doh:

I know, right! what, ten years later? they couldn't get rid of it right away and admit that the only reason the Pats made it to the SB was because of a really bad blown call. Oh well, spygate is all that needed to discount their win anyway.

Hawaii 5-0
04-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Ben Roethlisberger reportedly lobbying Steelers' Sanders

By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer
Published: April 12, 2013

Ben Roethlisberger has every right to be nervous.

It wasn't long ago that Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were calling themselves the "Young Money Crew." Now they're getting money from other teams.

Wallace took five years and $60 million from the Miami Dolphins and Sanders has signed a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet from the New England Patriots. The Steelers have until Sunday to match the offer or take a third-round pick from the Patriots.

Big Ben has lobbied coach Mike Tomlin and others within the organization to keep Sanders in black and gold, CBS Sports Jason La Canfora reported. Wallace and Sanders combined for 108 catches and 1,462 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Sanders had career-highs in receptions and yards in 2012 and just turned 26 years old.

La Canforna added that the final decision will likely be made by ownership. Roethlisberger might want to take the Rooneys to dinner Saturday night becuase he's quickly running out of weapons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159483/article/report-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethisberger-lobbying-for-emmanuel-sanders

zcoop
04-12-2013, 07:09 PM

_QRgtGuVE_0

Yep, that was arguably the biggest fuck in the history of the game. That started the cheaters run until Spy Gate.

sluggermatt15
04-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Ben Roethlisberger reportedly lobbying Steelers' Sanders

By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer
Published: April 12, 2013

Ben Roethlisberger has every right to be nervous.

It wasn't long ago that Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were calling themselves the "Young Money Crew." Now they're getting money from other teams.

Wallace took five years and $60 million from the Miami Dolphins and Sanders has signed a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet from the New England Patriots. The Steelers have until Sunday to match the offer or take a third-round pick from the Patriots.

Big Ben has lobbied coach Mike Tomlin and others within the organization to keep Sanders in black and gold, CBS Sports Jason La Canfora reported. Wallace and Sanders combined for 108 catches and 1,462 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Sanders had career-highs in receptions and yards in 2012 and just turned 26 years old.

La Canforna added that the final decision will likely be made by ownership. Roethlisberger might want to take the Rooneys to dinner Saturday night becuase he's quickly running out of weapons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159483/article/report-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethisberger-lobbying-for-emmanuel-sanders

Honestly, if you look at it from a $ perspective, it really isn't a huge cost cutting move. Sanders was tendered about $1.3 M. The deal he signed with NE is $2.5 M. What's another $1.3 M? Can we draft a receiver who is going to perform well enough to replace Sanders for $2.5 M or less?

NSMaster56
04-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Honestly, if you look at it from a $ perspective, it really isn't a huge cost cutting move. Sanders was tendered about $1.3 M. The deal he signed with NE is $2.5 M. What's another $1.3 M? Can we draft a receiver who is going to perform well enough to replace Sanders for $2.5 M or less?

The Steelers could probably draft a WR and sign a vet for 2.5 M.

Fire Arians
04-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Yep, that was arguably the biggest fuck in the history of the game. That started the cheaters run until Spy Gate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/hunglo/cheaters3.jpg

zcoop
04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/hunglo/cheaters3.jpg

:sofunny:

bornaSteelersfan
04-13-2013, 04:08 AM
I'm surprised Brady didn't get called for tripping on that play.

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Let him go and take the pick. He has a serious case of fumble-itus anyways. We will pick something up in the 3rd. We tend to draft better in the later rounds anyways. I can't justify them spending 2.5mil on him.

Kingmagyar
04-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Let him go and take the pick. He has a serious case of fumble-itus anyways. We will pick something up in the 3rd. We tend to draft better in the later rounds anyways. I can't justify them spending 2.5mil on him.

We did spend that amount for Foote when he was a backup. And Randel El when he was a 3rd WR. Jonathan Scott was nearly making that as a horrible back up. That 2.5 mil has to do with them wanting that extra money for Ahmad Bradshaw or not and whether they want to pay Sanders in the future. Those are the two questions being asked right now by them.

The Steelers very well could still take 2 WRs in the draft and keep Sanders around for one more season. They took two in 2010 when they had Ward, Wallace, and Holmes on the roster.

Having said that I agree with you 100% that I trust this year's WR class to be better then him in the long run.

Grav
04-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Let him go, Im afraid he's turning into a bit of a locker room pain, get a 3rd for him, how would you feel if the Steelers gave up a 3rd for a player of his similar stats ability, you'd think it was silly. Take the 3rd and run

TRH
04-13-2013, 07:50 AM
when are the Steelers making the decision on this? Are they just waiting until the clock ticks down to almost the final minute and 'not match' or will they come out beforehand and say "we're not going to match the offer sheet' ?

Buddha Bus
04-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Let him go, Im afraid he's turning into a bit of a locker room pain

Where are those reports from? I've never heard anything of the sort.

harrison'samonster
04-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Where are those reports from? I've never heard anything of the sort.

unless Grav is assuming that Brown was also speaking about Sanders when he said there were people only playing for themselves.

I wondered the same thing, I've never heard anything about Sanders causing trouble.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2013, 09:29 AM
unless Grav is assuming that Brown was also speaking about Sanders when he said there were people only playing for themselves.

I wondered the same thing, I've never heard anything about Sanders causing trouble.

Yeah, I love how fans with no insight into the team make judgements that a guy is a "pain" or "cancer"

pete74
04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Let him go, Im afraid he's turning into a bit of a locker room pain, get a 3rd for him, how would you feel if the Steelers gave up a 3rd for a player of his similar stats ability, you'd think it was silly. Take the 3rd and run

We're do you get this? Maybe Ben is a locker room pain to. Come on don'tmake things up. If we lose SSanders which I'm sure we will since we have no money that leaves us very thin at Wr. Plex is over the hill. Cotchery is a like long 3rd Wr and Brown is good but not the ideal #1WR.

Vis
04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Grav is the fly on the wall. He knows.

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Maybe Ben is a locker room pain to. .

Gee - you think:chuckle:

Let's review

Offseason motorcycle accident

Offseason sexual assault charges

Lobbying to keep Arians

Criticizing Haley

SteelersCanada
04-13-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/1684943.jpg

pete74
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Gee - you think:chuckle:

Let's review

Offseason motorcycle accident

Offseason sexual assault charges

Lobbying to keep Arians

Criticizing Haley

Actually I don't remember charges being filed and an auto accident has happened to most of us.