PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders extra 3rd rounder

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
So like the thread title, Sanders signed a $4million offer sheet from the Patriots and it is very unlikely the Steelers match it. So now we have the Patriots 3rd round pick on top of our own.

Here is a quick scenario.

1. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
2. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
3a. Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
3b. Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU
4. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
5. Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama
6. Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State
7. Alex Hurst, OL, LSU

harrison'samonster
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
looks good. add an extra 6th pick as well, we got that for losing Gay.

Rabbit
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Again, team-specific mock drafts are the worst.

Damontre Moore falls to the mid third?

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I realized I forgot that, and there's no running back here either haha. So, with our 6th rounder add Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Again, team-specific mock drafts are the worst.

Damontre Moore falls to the mid third?

We'll have to wait and see. It's entirely possible though

Kingmagyar
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
I actually had my mock scenario with a Sanders extra pick, and the pick was Steadman Bailey in the 3rd. But if Vaccaro or even say Tavon Austin is gone in the first trade down and pick up yet another 3 and grab your running back there because we need a guy with a little higher pedigree then a 6th rounder from a small program like Nevada.

And I've been screaming for a tall fast receiver around here for years but Justin Hunter could be a real problem with his drops. He really suffers from that to the point at his own pro day he had several and that is with no pressure. Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen may all be safer options.

But there seems to be so much talent at WR this draft two in the first three rounds would be very exciting.

harrison'samonster
04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I actually had my mock scenario with a Sanders extra pick, and the pick was Steadman Bailey in the 3rd. But if Vaccaro or even say Tavon Austin is gone in the first trade down and pick up yet another 3 and grab your running back there because we need a guy with a little higher pedigree then a 6th rounder from a small program like Nevada.

that's a great point. Even if we sign Bradshaw, we're going to need a future RB. Unless Dwyer comes back this year in great shape and takes over on the field.

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 04:20 PM

And I've been screaming for a tall fast receiver around here for years but Justin Hunter could be a real problem with his drops. He really suffers from that to the point at his own pro day he had several and that is with no pressure. Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen may all be safer options.

But there seems to be so much talent at WR this draft two in the first three rounds would be very exciting.

Yeah you're correct. I actually had originally put Keenan Allen in the 2nd for us after his 4.7 and because he still hasn't fully recovered from his knee injury but Hunter would be able to directly replace Wallace with top end speed and good size. If we can't get Bailey, I would love to get Quinton Patton.

Kingmagyar
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Just heard the offer sheet to Sanders from the Patriots is only a 1 year deal worth 2.5 million? The Steelers will match that I'm almost sure of it. I still think they would be better off long term getting two of these exciting receivers in the draft. Sanders still will be a free agent after this season.

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Just heard the offer sheet to Sanders from the Patriots is only a 1 year deal worth 2.5 million? The Steelers will match that I'm almost sure of it. I still think they would be better off long term getting two of these exciting receivers in the draft. Sanders still will be a free agent after this season.

They can match it. But they need to think about their chances of signing him next season to a long term deal or if they would rather have the 3rd round pick. But yes 2.5 is much more doable. I'm with you and hoping to get that extra 3rd rounder. Sanders hasn't been consistent and wouldn't sign his tender, which means he probably thinks very highly of his worth.

Bayz101
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Unless the offer from New England was through the roof, it's very likely you'll see the Steelers match it.

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Unless the offer from New England was through the roof, it's very likely you'll see the Steelers match it.

Well if it is indeed 2.5 million, that is about twice what the Steelers tendered him for. With his original round tender he would have had a cap hit of 1.3mil if he signed it.

But we can get 4 years of production out of a draft pick, even though they aren't proven. Sanders will give us one year of production and then will need to be signed for more money long term.

pczach
04-10-2013, 07:17 PM
They're saying that if the Steelers decide to match the offer, they will have to cut someone or restructure contracts so they still have enough room under the cap to sign drafted players. Not only that, but he could then leave after 1 year and get nothing for him. At this point, they might be better off taking the draft pick to avoid future financial hardships and getting no compensation for him if he leaves after the 1 year contract expires. This is what happens when another team knows you're vulnerable. They could force your hand because they hold all the cards.

Steel Glory
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
They're saying that if the Steelers decide to match the offer, they will have to cut someone or restructure contracts so they still have enough room under the cap to sign drafted players. Not only that, but he could then leave after 1 year and get nothing for him. At this point, they might be better off taking the draft pick to avoid future financial hardships and getting no compensation for him if he leaves after the 1 year contract expires. This is what happens when another team knows you're vulnerable. They could force your hand because they hold all the cards.

Well if he only signed for 2.5 million we don't have to restructure or cut anyone. We have enough cap space for that right now and then in June when Willie Colon is cut we have 5.5mil cap space to sign draftees.

rcoplien
04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
WTF Steelers!! Quit losing good players!! You need to sign Sanders!!! We are losing too many good players!!!!!!!!!!!!!PERIOD!

SteelersCanada
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
WTF Steelers!! Quit losing good players!! You need to sign Sanders!!! We are losing too many good players!!!!!!!!!!!!!PERIOD!

You're excitable.

Anyway, here's my dream draft:

R1. Kenny Vaccaro / Safety
R2. Alex Okafor / OLB
R3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson / CB
R3. Le'Veon Bell / RB
R4. Shawn Williams / Safety
R5. Rodney Smith / WR
R6. Marcus Davis / WR
R6. Nico Johnson / LB
R7. Michael Williams / TE

We win the draft.

Galax Steeler
04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
A third round pick does sound entertaining.

VSP644
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
I would let Sanders walk...he drops to many balls and is to injury prone....i would love to see the steelers take Bell in the 1st; package the there 2nd & Sanders' 3rd to move up in the 2nd and take Elam, 3rd can be used on a WR then...Bell will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd so either we move back in the 1st and get another 2nd or 3rd or we lose out on two of the best RB in the draft - Bell or Franklin

devin7558
04-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Take the extra 3rd rd pick. Draft the BPA in the 1st (Cooper, Vaccaro, Jones, Mingo, Patterson). Get Robert Woods in the second to replace sanders and do not second guess it.

This will be a tough season. Maximizing our offensive potential by keeping Ben clean, assisting him in the running game and giving him weapons to grow with is the best way to contend for a playoff spot right now and in the future. Ben may only have 3-4 seasons left at an elite level or at all.

We have a small window with Ben left. I wouldn't even be sad to see them take Geno Smith if he falls and store him away. But regardless the offense needs reloaded in the worst way. We need playmakers with potential to stick around. No more injury and character riddled types.

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
looks like you're going to have to change the mock!

lloydwoodson
04-25-2013, 12:44 AM
looks good. add an extra 6th pick as well, we got that for losing Gay.

That's queer because Gay is still here.