PDA

View Full Version : I think... we find out Bens' greatness this year..

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Agree or disagree?
not saying he isnt great already, but after last year the second half of the season and with changes in the Steel City, it his time to add to this legacy and put this team on his back...

In my opinion this is the year we find how truly great Bennie is.
Per the oline staying healthy. his receiving core is going to be down great, but its the perfect time for him to be great and make new stars

I am not saying he needs to win the Super Bowl this year, but if he steps up and leads us to the playoff with the band of misfits at wide out and te until heath gets back,

It'll show the kind of greatness he has or if his past greatness was because of his weapons..\

I have faith that no matter who is playing wide out or in the back field, Bennie will lead us to a bunch of wins.

Heres to hoping Ben puts this offense on his shoulders and is able to rock and roll, put me at wide out and lead us to another title!!!
:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::t t04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt0 4:

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't know if I agree exactly, but Ben's still playing and he can't rest on his past success just yet. If the O-line stays healthy and keeps Ben from getting banged up, I expect him to show why he's been one of the winningest QB's over the last decade.

vasteeler
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
what!?!?! a positive post about ben :thud:

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't know if I agree exactly, but Ben's still playing and he can't rest on his past success just yet. If the O-line stays healthy and keeps Ben from getting banged up, I expect him to show why he's been one of the winningest QB's over the last decade.

im not saying he is a scrub if we dont win, but what better way to really add to your legacy than when the chips are down, you thrive, thats what puts ya at the next level.

Its not a rebuild its a reload

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
what!?!?! a positive post about ben :thud:

hahahaha :rofl:
its early still, the basher will be here shortly..

START OMAR JACOBS OVER BEN PLEASE!!!!

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM
im not saying he is a scrub if we dont win, but what better way to really add to your legacy than when the chips are down, you thrive, thats what puts ya at the next level.

Its not a rebuild its a reload

Ah, I misread your first post then, I thought you were saying this would be a make-or-break year for him. :chuckle:

Yeah, I think this will be a year for Ben to show why he's considered a top QB.

Millers the sh!t
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm not complaining at all , I like the positive outlook but this is the Same thread, just different year....truly All we need is to have a good run game and an average pass game let our defense be spectacular like it always is and we will go deep into the playoffs. We don't need pretty patriots like victories and we DEFINITELY do not need to put it all on Ben's shoulders cause when it happens he gets hurt and the season is over and quite frankly he hasn't been clutch for a while now. He was personally responsible for a few games ending with a loss last season. Let's hope we pick up another linemen and a decent RB. Things will be 12-4 again if we do.....

jacobo
04-11-2013, 09:59 AM
He may have been the MVP had everything not just fallen apart last year with the injuries. I think as long as the line stays healthy we can expect another amazing season from him

we good

Bayz101
04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
This thread surprised the shit out of me.

I was expecting you to wish death on him or something. :chuckle:

BATCH FOR STARTER YEAH!

VaDave
04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Ben has nothing to prove as a QB to anybody but himself. IMO when you take all the top QBs that have ever played for the Steelers, we've had exactly two, (ok 3,with one great one at the end of his career) in over 70 years of football. It's not like guys like Ben are a dime a dozen and can be found on every college campus........

We should be grateful for how well and for long he's played. Best advice, enjoy him while he's here. He'll be gone before you know it..

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
If only ScottCurtis didn't get banned. Just imagine what he would have to say about this thread.

Bane
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
I think Ben will be one of those players that goes down as one of the "greats of the past", but will remain in the shadows of the other guys while he plays.

It's unfortunate, but I don't mind either way. The dude's a winner and a damned good QB. So I'm with him until he retires.

steelfury02
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Ben is the only QB playing right that truly fits the Steelers mold - I might get shot for saying this, but the only person that comes a distant 2nd is Wilson - athletic and TONS of poise - mark my words - the Seahawks are on the cusp of winning a SB. - and then, Rivers would be my last choice just because I like his fire although he would be out of football with the O-line Ben has had.

I desperately Ben to at least get 1 more ring - would love to see Troy walk away with 3 as well. The more I think about it - the more I feel this is the season that will determine if we're in serious contention until Ben retires or if we will only squeek out 1 great year before its over. I really feel like now is the time to shake off the funk of that last SB loss and for our guys to play with a nothing to lose attitude - they are on no ones radar - PERFECT situation if you ask me!:tt03:

Enjoy Ben - when he retires, I'll die a little as a Steelers fan - I don't like the unknown after Ben . . .

Vis
04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I think Ben will be one of those players that goes down as one of the "greats of the past", but will remain in the shadows of the other guys while he plays.

It's unfortunate, but I don't mind either way. The dude's a winner and a damned good QB. So I'm with him until he retires.

I think Ben will go down as one of those. "If only he had been healthy" players with that "what if" asterisk next to his name when he just misses the HOF.

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I think Ben will go down as one of those. "If only he had been healthy" players with that "what if" asterisk next to his name when he just misses the HOF.

until he rides into the sunset with back to back to back super bowl rings..
and say hey terry tell me how my rings taste?

CrickRat23
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
He may have been the MVP had everything not just fallen apart last year with the injuries. I think as long as the line stays healthy we can expect another amazing season from him

we good

I agree. Ben was putting up decent numbers untill all the injuries hit. It was like a revolving door in front of him on the o-line.

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
I've been saying it for three seasons, and this will now be the fourth:
This is going to be BB's year (to have a "Brees-esque" season).

Last year looked to be that way (an MVP candidate)... and then the injury.

I foresee a season like this: 32 TDs, 5 INTs, 5,000 yards... league MVP... followed by a SuperBowl MVP (w/ the obvious Lombardi to go with it).

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
If only ScottCurtis didn't get banned. Just imagine what he would have to say about this thread.

Scrotis emailed me, and told me to say the following:
"I live in sin with a labrador."

Whoops... wrong email.

Here is the right email:
"I drive my RV 300 miles to watch this a$$hole throw a measly two TDs per game!?! I would have been better off, staying home & peeping on a bunch of sixth graders!!!"

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I foresee a season like this: 32 TDs, 5 INTs, 5,000 yards... league MVP... followed by a SuperBowl MVP (w/ the obvious Lombardi to go with it).

please make it happen. :drool:

I would be happy with 25 TD, 10 INT, 3000 YDS, (w/ the obvious Lombardi). I would be happy even without the Lombardi to be honest (if we are at least contending), as long as we get the offense rolling through the whole season and no injuries and we can get a proper evaluation of where this team is at.

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I've been saying it for three seasons, and this will now be the fourth:
This is going to be BB's year (to have a "Brees-esque" season).

Last year looked to be that way (an MVP candidate)... and then the injury.

But Artie is too meddlesome to let Ben put up those kind of numbers! He'll only let him throw in third and long situations! :chuckle:

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
please make it happen. :drool:

I would be happy with 25 TD, 10 INT, 3000 YDS, (w/ the obvious Lombardi). I would be happy even without the Lombardi to be honest (if we are at least contending), as long as we get the offense rolling through the whole season and no injuries and we can get a proper evaluation of where this team is at.

I'd take 3 TDs, 15 INTs, and 1,00 yards passing... as long as it results in a Lombardi.

Really, trophies.... it's all about trophies.

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
But Artie is too meddlesome to let Ben put up those kind of numbers! He'll only let him throw in third and long situations! :chuckle:

You are a dumb Yinzer!!! BOOOO!!!

(:wink02:)

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM

In the grand scheme of things Ben has not missed much playing time. Definitely not enough to hurt his HOF chances. For that matter, I think playing with injuries and showing toughness is something that will help him get into the hall.

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I'd take 3 TDs, 15 INTs, and 1,00 yards passing... as long as it results in a Lombardi.

I agree. I would take a "game manager" who doesn't make big mistakes, but can lead a drive to win the game over a QB who can make all the throws and ends up making big mistakes at crucial times. It really is a team sport and if the team.

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I agree. I would take a "game manager" who doesn't make big mistakes, but can lead a drive to win the game over a QB who can make all the throws and ends up making big mistakes at crucial times. It really is a team sport and if the team.

Luckily, BB is the best of both.

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
You are a dumb Yinzer!!! BOOOO!!!

(:wink02:)

Apparently so. Since I don't think Artie is the living embodiment of the devil, I think the running game is important, and I don't think passing deep on every down is a sound offensive strategy, I must be a dumb yinzer. :noidea:

teegre
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Apparently so. Since I don't think Artie is the living embodiment of the devil, I think the running game is important, and I don't think passing deep on every down is a sound offensive strategy, I must be a dumb yinzer. :noidea:

I'll explain it to you one more time (I'm not sure why you're not getting this): Throw deep, on every play, no matter what. That's it. Plain & simple. How do you not get that!?!

4th & inches... throw it deep.

Up by 7 points with 35 seconds left, and the other team has no time outs... forget kneeling down... throw it deep!!!

Behind by 2 points, with 7 seconds left, on the ten-yard line... forget the chip-shot FG... throw it deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Luckily, BB is the best of both.

They under-use him.

I love how yinz get angry so easily when it's pointed out how stupid you are or when Artie is called into question or when someone doesn't wave black and gold pom-poms.

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I'll explain it to you one more time (I'm not sure why you're not getting this): Throw deep, on every play, no matter what. That's it. Plain & simple. How do you not get that!?!

Up by 7 points with 35 seconds left, and the other team has no time outs... forget kneeling down... throw it deep!!!

Behind by 2 points, with 7 seconds left, on the ten-yard line... forget the chip-shot FG... throw it deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure to post this several times on every thread to make sure the rest of dumb yinzer nation understands your brilliant football mind. :chuckle:

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Make sure to post this several times on every thread to make sure the rest of dumb yinzer nation understands your brilliant football mind. :chuckle:

Just like all the dumb yinzers defend Artie constantly.

"Discipline wasn't a problem"

"This is just another offseason!"

:noidea:

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM

I imagine it would go something like this....

x6tNPUTgrL4

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM

nope, you got it all wrong.

the only thing that's important to Art II is that we return to 70s style football.

Run the ball.

Yoi and Double Yoi.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce Bruce Arians to our meager Board.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 02:39 PM
http://s2.favim.com/orig/33/asshole-ecard-funny-penn-amp-teller-quote-Favim.com-260156.jpg

They under-use him.

I love how yinz get angry so easily when it's pointed out how stupid you are or when Artie is called into question or when someone doesn't wave black and gold pom-poms.

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
They under-use him.

:facepalm:

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
nope, you got it all wrong.

the only thing that's important to Art II is that we return to 70s style football.

Run the ball.

Yoi and Double Yoi.

Starting to look like that since Dan went over to Ireland.

Keep putting your heads in the sand.

DA STILLERZ IZ STILL CONTENDERS N'AT!

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
http://s2.favim.com/orig/33/asshole-ecard-funny-penn-amp-teller-quote-Favim.com-260156.jpg

They under-use him.

Got to give them enough rope. Sooner or later......

http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/main.gallows.jpg

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Got to give them enough rope. Sooner or later......

http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/main.gallows.jpg

That's what yinzers think about every time a football is put in the air.

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
As the rope gets tighter and tighter!

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM

And the brain cells get scarcer and scarcer. :popcorn:

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

...The fewer old school yinzers around to bitch about how the game is today as opposed to how it was.

Bane
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I almost don't want him to get banned, just so we have some source of F-grade, half-assed comedy. Hey, we gotta laugh at someone.

Quackjack
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/412649/

GoFor7
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I almost don't want him to get banned, just so we have some source of F-grade, half-assed comedy. Hey, we gotta laugh at someone.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/20095527/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=1.png/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-hoodie_design.png

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

His troll baiting schtick is getting old.

But you still have blaze.

Bane
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
True. Okay. Engage the Banhammer.

8zuH8srcwE0

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
His troll baiting schtick is getting old.

But you still have blaze.

I miss the days of smarter, more coherent trolls like Tim Lumber. :tap:

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Later asshat :wave:

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
For someone who was apparently a Steelers fan, GoFor7 sure did shit on the fanbase a lot. For someone who called us stupid all the time, he sure didn't seem to realize we were just making jokes out of the repetitive material that he posted on a consistent basis.

Blacksburg Zach
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Don't feel too bad. We can still laugh at GoFor7. It's not as if he was going to post any new material for our jokes anyway, given his tendency to post the exact same thing on every single thread.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
For someone who was apparently a Steelers fan, GoFor7 sure did shit on the fanbase a lot. For someone who called us stupid all the time, he sure didn't seem to realize we were just making jokes out of the repetitive material that he posted on a consistent basis.

It came from years and years of being stuffed in lockers during his school years. A "revenge against the world" disorder of some sort. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/crazy-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
It came from years and years of being stuffed in lockers during his school years. A "revenge against the world" disorder of some sort. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/crazy-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

I thought it was from years and years of having his head stuffed up his ass. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Gofor7 had it in for Pittsburgh ever since they allowed him to "retire" after the 2011 season.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/Arians%20Yell.jpg
Weakness is for losers! Should have gone for the kill! Everybody goes deep!

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I thought it was from years and years of having his head stuffed up his ass. :chuckle:

I'm sure he experimented quite a bit while he was in there. What else is there to do in a locker? :noidea:

MACH1
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm sure he experimented quite a bit while he was in there. What else is there to do in a locker? :noidea:

Well, if a guy could bend that way.......

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM

... he'd never leave the house.

Lokki
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM

All it would take was for him to remove his head from his ass and bend the other way around.

pczach
04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Gofor7 had it in for Pittsburgh ever since they allowed him to "retire" after the 2011 season.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/Arians%20Yell.jpg
Weakness is for losers! Should have gone for the kill! Everybody goes deep!

:rofl::toofunny:

That was awesome!

teegre
04-11-2013, 04:25 PM
What!?! I missed it!?! ARGH!!!

After hearing his drivel in thread after thread (after thread), I missed the conversation where The Gopher gets banned!?!

I knew I should have let my two-year old fend for herself for lunch & during bath time. Knives... choking hazards... scalding water... drowning... forget about any of that. My child's safety pales in comparison to the joy that I would have experienced by being there when The Gopher got kicked off of this site.

(I'm kidding... I think.)

Bayz101
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Follow me in taking a moment of silence for....

Ah, fuck it.

Later, asshat!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Urocitellus_columbianus_Alberta_Martybugs.jpg/220px-Urocitellus_columbianus_Alberta_Martybugs.jpg 7

pczach
04-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Follow me in taking a moment of silence for....

Ah, fuck it.

Later, asshat!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Urocitellus_columbianus_Alberta_Martybugs.jpg/220px-Urocitellus_columbianus_Alberta_Martybugs.jpg 7

You know if you keep holding in your true feelings, you could get ulcers.:sofunny:

Steelers5895
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I think Ben has already shown his greatness. Not many qbs have three Super Bowl appearances and 2 wins. What we will find out this year is if Ben can stay healthy and lead THIS team as it stands now to the playoffs. This may be a year he has 4000 yards, 30 tds and 20 ints by being forced to try and take matters into his own hands

Bayz101
04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Ben doesn't have to prove anything, really. He's won two Super Bowl's and been to three.

The only thing he needs to do is cross his fingers for a competent O-Line and try and get rid of the ball more frequently to avoid getting crushed. If he stays healthy, we're contenders. If he's constantly injured, we're going nowhere in a hurry.

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I think we see a much more focused Ben in 2013 than we have seen in recent years. The look on his face when he threw that last pick tells me so. The exasperation in his voice when he went on that tirade about there not being any problems in the Steelers' lockerroom tells me so.

I think he, Haley, and Brown light it up this next year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
DOH! I just read through this thread! You guys kill me....TEEGRE and QUACK actually made me shoot seltzer water out my nose reading this damn thing.

Seriously-- GOFOR7 was so obviously DOWNBYLAW. He shows up on every Steelers forum, and usually gets banned just the same (as well as his alter-egos) as he did here, as both DBL and GF7.

I don't know why you guys even bother...? People are going to have dissenting opinions, and banned members can just come right back under a new name and a new IP if they are that immature. I am sure he will be back sooner or later. I am betting it won't be until after another disappointing season-- that's when trolls find the most ammunition...

lloydwoodson
04-16-2013, 02:00 AM
I agree 100% with the OP. I was thinking of making a thread to the same effect.

Roethlisberger has always had an offense with talent. He has never had an offense with less talent at the skill positions than he will next year.

The defense will be in question next year as well. If Woodley does not regain form, Worilds struggles and Polamalu is injured it could be the worst defense he has had as well.

I don't see the defense finishing much lower than 10th still but it could allow other teams to steal a couple games.

Roethlisberger is entering his 30s it is time for him to show leadership (which he has become better at). It is time to see what his impact on the team really is.

pczach
04-16-2013, 05:29 AM
I agree 100% with the OP. I was thinking of making a thread to the same effect.

Roethlisberger has always had an offense with talent. He has never had an offense with less talent at the skill positions than he will next year.

The defense will be in question next year as well. If Woodley does not regain form, Worilds struggles and Polamalu is injured it could be the worst defense he has had as well.

I don't see the defense finishing much lower than 10th still but it could allow other teams to steal a couple games.

Roethlisberger is entering his 30s it is time for him to show leadership (which he has become better at). It is time to see what his impact on the team really is.

The problem with your theory is that if the Steelers keep trying to force an ineffective running game, all they are doing is shortening the game and hurting the passing game by making them more predictable and taking away chances to score through the air. You also make it sound like Ben has had an All-Star cast to play with over his career. Too bad you don't consider the offensive line part of that cast too. The WR have been for the most part, overrated. He had Hines, and he has Miller. They have been the only two constants he has had since being here, and many of Hines' years were well past his prime. Bettis was older and ineffective, Burress was still raw and sometimes unreliable until he left. It was only after going the Giants that he came into his own.

Could you name the dominant offensive talent he's played with?

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
The problem with your theory is that if the Steelers keep trying to force an ineffective running game, all they are doing is shortening the game and hurting the passing game by making them more predictable and taking away chances to score through the air. You also make it sound like Ben has had an All-Star cast to play with over his career. Too bad you don't consider the offensive line part of that cast too. The WR have been for the most part, overrated. He had Hines, and he has Miller. They have been the only two constants he has had since being here, and many of Hines' years were well past his prime. Bettis was older and ineffective, Burress was still raw and sometimes unreliable until he left. It was only after going the Giants that he came into his own.

Could you name the dominant offensive talent he's played with?

You forgot to mention Santonio. I would hardly call Wallace and Brown overrated. They are both pro bowl caliber WR. Whether you got that out of them w/him throwing the ball is another thing entirely. He's had pretty bad o line as far as looking at the stats. But, he doesn't help them at all. He usually waits till 1 sec left on the clock before hiking, he rarely if ever audibles into a better play that works, he doesn't throw a good deep ball and he fails to take the scramble when it seems to be given on most of the plays that break down. But other than the 5 pro bowl receivers he has had, the all pro center, and first round RB, he hasn't had much to work with.

Ricco Suavez
04-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Our O-Line has been a shambles since 2006, only In the last few drafts have the Steelers addressed that issue. Running back has been decent but not good, we have been anemic at best on short yardage situations. Hines while a tough competitor was past his prime most of Bens years at QB, he has had Burress and we couldnt keep him, had Wallace and cant keep him, had Holmes and didnt want to keep him. The Oline has been so bad that Miller has been underutilized as a receiver, and kept in more for blocking.

Posters want Ben to scramble less, and get rid of the ball quicker, yet at the same time they want him to run more. Which is it. As far as snapping the ball late, how do any of you know that is not what Haley wants, or what Tomlin wants. Even if not then why do they continue to let Ben keep doing it. You or I do not know but hey lets put that on Ben. How does anyone knows when Ben audibles out of a play and how many have really kept up with the success rate of those audibles? Hey lets put that on Ben too.

Pro Bowlers aside how many offensive weapons have the Steelers had that are in demand by any contending teams. Anybody want Santonio now? Where would Mendy have gone if not Arizona? Do we have a RB on the team now that any other team would want, maybe but not as a featured back. Other than Brown (who had a down year after his Probowl Year) who would want any of our WR now? NE offered Sanders a contract and I have to admit they must see something, whether he will live up to that remains to be seen. Thing is Ben was talking up Sanders and he must see something in him. Truth is while others have felt we had a ton of talent on the offensive side I never saw it. I felt we had potential at the WRs but I never had any faith in our RBs and less in our ability to open holes for those RBs.

This years team will go as far as our QB can take them, but even the best QB cant do it alone just look at Peyton. This team is going to have to win as a team and its going to take both sides of the ball to do it. And I feel the key to this year is some of the lesser contributors are going to have to step up big time along with some rookies.

pczach
04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
You forgot to mention Santonio. I would hardly call Wallace and Brown overrated. They are both pro bowl caliber WR. Whether you got that out of them w/him throwing the ball is another thing entirely. He's had pretty bad o line as far as looking at the stats. But, he doesn't help them at all. He usually waits till 1 sec left on the clock before hiking, he rarely if ever audibles into a better play that works, he doesn't throw a good deep ball and he fails to take the scramble when it seems to be given on most of the plays that break down. But other than the 5 pro bowl receivers he has had, the all pro center, and first round RB, he hasn't had much to work with.

I'll ask you then, and maybe you'll answer it this time. Name the dominant offensive players he has played with.

SteelerEmpire
04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Yep. It's gonna be Big Ben, or Bust. He's gonna have to be the point man of the Phalanx (win or lose):

http://privatetux.tuxandroid93.net/images/malechars/kingleonidas.jpg

lloydwoodson
04-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I'll ask you then, and maybe you'll answer it this time. Name the dominant offensive players he has played with.

Name me the dominant offensive players Drew Brees had last year, or Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. Not one player from any of those offenses went to the Probowl.

They still managed to finish 3rd, 5th and 1st in the league in scoring respectively.

The reason the Steelers OL has been so poor is in 2008 the Steelers decided to "arm Ben with weapons." The philosophy was supposed to be to get the ball out of Ben's hands into the hands of playmakers. Doesn't seem to fit Ben's play style does it? But he got that tall WR and franchise RB.

Ricco Suavez
04-16-2013, 09:51 PM
How many have won two Superbowls? Wait does that mean you need a defense and some offense to win it all, and not just scoring, what a concept.

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 01:02 AM
How many have won two Superbowls? Wait does that mean you need a defense and some offense to win it all, and not just scoring, what a concept.

No you need your defense to score to win it all. Ask James Harrison. Would the Steelers have beaten the Cardinals without Harrison's interception? Yes or no?

The Steelers passer played amazing in XL though! Couldn't have won that without ARE! No way!

pczach
04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Name me the dominant offensive players Drew Brees had last year, or Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. Not one player from any of those offenses went to the Probowl.

They still managed to finish 3rd, 5th and 1st in the league in scoring respectively.

The reason the Steelers OL has been so poor is in 2008 the Steelers decided to "arm Ben with weapons." The philosophy was supposed to be to get the ball out of Ben's hands into the hands of playmakers. Doesn't seem to fit Ben's play style does it? But he got that tall WR and franchise RB.

By franchise RB, are you talking about the guy that has barely played, been a complete head case, and had one year where he played to a "good" NFL level? You mean THAT guy.

Who was the tall WR that they got for him that made a difference in any way on the field? I'm sorry, because I can't think of anyone on the roster that fits that description. Please name him because I really don't know who you're talking about.

We were talking about talent for Bens ENTIRE CAREER, not just last season, so that point is invalid.

As for Brees, Rodgers, and Manning last year: Brees had tackle Jermon Bushrod and guard Jahri Evans making the Pro Bowl. He also has the best or second best TE in the world in Graham, and plays in a wide open offense that operates quickly to give the offense as many possessions as possible. Rodgers had guard Josh Sitton and center Jeff Saturday make the Prow Bowl, but he also has the best and deepest receiving corp in the NFL. Peyton Manning had WR Demaryius Thomas, T Ryan Clady, and Guard Zane Beadles make the Pro Bowl and they have an effective running game. Ben had Miller and Pouncey. All the other QB's play in more wide open offenses, and are given much more flexibility with line calls, audibles, and are definitely not held down by a certain percentage of running plays that MUST be run.

So your facts are completely wrong.

And about Ben's line being horrible because they supposedly got him weapons that don't exist, now it's also his fault the line sucks, and we don't have any weapons? You're reaching, and you know it. Also, that was 4 full seasons ago and they have still sucked. I believe they'll get better starting this year, but you can't be serious about that claim.

Now how about naming all the great offensive players in Ben's career again, because we can't seem to get that out of anyone here. Maybe there just aren't that many, huh?

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Demaryius Thomas was an alternate.

If you think Jeff Saturday deserved to go to the Probowl you're crazy.

I don't agree that Green Bay has the best receivers in the league- Atlanta has the best receivers by a mile.

When Roethlisberger came into the league the Steelers had the best rushing offense and arguably the best offensive line. Smith, Faneca, Hartings, and Simmons were all high draft picks and very solid players. When those players retired the Steelers did not replace them. They opted to get "weapons for Ben."

The Steelers have since figured out they made a mistake and Ben can not run a dominant offense just an average one. A lot of homer fans still haven't figured that out yet (GoFor7 comes to mind).

If you don't think HOF players like Ward and Bettis were good offensive players I don't know what to tell you. I guess you think there are a lot of quarterbacks who have had a HOF RB and a HOF WR at the same time?

pczach
04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Corrected post below. Didn't work properly the first time.

pczach
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Demaryius Thomas was an alternate.

If you think Jeff Saturday deserved to go to the Probowl you're crazy.

I don't agree that Green Bay has the best receivers in the league- Atlanta has the best receivers by a mile.

When Roethlisberger came into the league the Steelers had the best rushing offense and arguably the best offensive line. Smith, Faneca, Hartings, and Simmons were all high draft picks and very solid players. When those players retired the Steelers did not replace them. They opted to get "weapons for Ben."

The Steelers have since figured out they made a mistake and Ben can not run a dominant offense just an average one. A lot of homer fans still haven't figured that out yet (GoFor7 comes to mind).

If you don't think HOF players like Ward and Bettis were good offensive players I don't know what to tell you. I guess you think there are a lot of quarterbacks who have had a HOF RB and a HOF WR at the same time?

You're the one that said "not one player from any of those offenses made the Pro Bowl", not me. I just gave you seven names that made the team. It doesn't matter if you thought Jeff Saturday didn't deserve it. He made the team.

When Ben came into the league, he was the first quarterback since Marino to have that type of success early. Yes he had a great line then. That was only in his first couple of years in the league. It has been complete crap since then, and you know it. You claim that the Steelers did not replace any of those good linemen so they could get weapons for Ben. They drafted linemen, but they didn't turn into good professional players, so it's Ben's fault? You're actually admitting that the line sucked, but you still want to pin it on Ben. C'mon, if that's your position, I'll let that position stand on it's own merit, because it has none.

Now you're saying the Steelers made a mistake, and that they let him try to run a dominant offense, but he is just average. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. You can't run a dominant offense unless there's dominant talent, and there hasn't been much of that throughout his whole career. If you then try to compare me with GoFor7, knock yourself out. I'm not the one that wrote the post that was completely and factually wrong, and am trying to get out of it by claiming I'm a little screwed up in the head to make yourself and everyone else think you hold the intellectual high ground on the subject. It's not working. You made the statements, I'm calling you out and holding you accountable for them. Deal with it. Just admit you're wrong and made incorrect claims. I think you're a pretty smart guy, and I agree with many of your positions on this message board. This isn't personal, but don't compare me to someone that is basically thought of as a guy that is rowing a boat and doesn't have both oars in the water. There's nothing cool about that insinuation you're making. It's bush league, and you know it. It would be like me associating you with scottcurtis(Scrotis). You probably wouldn't appreciate the comparison.

I think Hines Ward was a great player, and a HOF player. I also think Bettis was a great player and a HOF player. I just didn't list them because I wanted your input as to who YOU thought the great players that Ben has played with. That's all. But here's the thing. Here are Hines' career stats. http://www.nfl.com/player/hinesward/2503532/profile Hines was a HOF because of the many things he did on the field, not just receiving. These are not Jerry Rice or Megatron numbers. Ben came into the league in the 2004 season. Look at the stat line for Ward. Ben had him for a few of his prime years, but look at Ward's last couple of years in the NFL. He wasn't even a #3 receiver. This is not a knock on Hines Ward. He just got old. I wish he was in his prime for a few more years with Ben, but it didn't work out that way.

Here are the career stats for Bettis. http://www.nfl.com/player/jeromebett...42/careerstats Bettis and Ben hardly played together, and when they did, Bettis was old and had no tread on the tires. He never played with Bettis when he was a great player, and it isn't even close.

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Now you are comparing Roethlisberger to Marino. Yes they both went to the Superbowl in their second season.

Here is the difference: Marino quarterbacked the #1 offense in both scoring and yardage. He threw for over 5000 yards and had 48 touchdowns. Marino was the NFL MVP. Marino had the 19th total defense.

Comparing Roethlisberger to the second most prolific passer in NFL history and one who has an NFL MVP award and 9 trips to the Probowl makes me question your judgement.

Mark Sanchez made the playoffs his first 2 seasons in the league. 3 rookies made the playoffs this year. Joe Flacco has never missed a playoffs. Kaepernick went to the Superbowl after half a year of starting. And you choose to compare Roethlisberger to Marino.

The point is teams win games. There are very few quarterbacks who have had the supporting cast Ben has had. Roethlisberger has had a top defense year in and year out. He has one of the best tight ends in the NFL. His running backs have been solid (Bettis, Parker and Mendenhall all made strong contributions). If Marino had Ward, Burress, Holmes, Wallace, Miller, Brown and Sanders to throw to he would have had 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns every season without fail. Even players like ARE and Washington have stepped up big over the years.

I acknowledge the efforts all the Steelers players have made to be successful while homers pretend that Roethlisberger is an all-time great quarterback like Marino or Elway trying to win it all without any talent.

pczach
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Now you are comparing Roethlisberger to Marino. Yes they both went to the Superbowl in their second season.

Here is the difference: Marino quarterbacked the #1 offense in both scoring and yardage. He threw for over 5000 yards and had 48 touchdowns. Marino was the NFL MVP. Marino had the 19th total defense.

Comparing Roethlisberger to the second most prolific passer in NFL history and one who has an NFL MVP award and 9 trips to the Probowl makes me question your judgement.

Mark Sanchez made the playoffs his first 2 seasons in the league. 3 rookies made the playoffs this year. Joe Flacco has never missed a playoffs. Kaepernick went to the Superbowl after half a year of starting. And you choose to compare Roethlisberger to Marino.

The point is teams win games. There are very few quarterbacks who have had the supporting cast Ben has had. Roethlisberger has had a top defense year in and year out. He has one of the best tight ends in the NFL. His running backs have been solid (Bettis, Parker and Mendenhall all made strong contributions). If Marino had Ward, Burress, Holmes, Wallace, Miller, Brown and Sanders to throw to he would have had 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns every season without fail. Even players like ARE and Washington have stepped up big over the years.

I acknowledge the efforts all the Steelers players have made to be successful while homers pretend that Roethlisberger is an all-time great quarterback like Marino or Elway trying to win it all without any talent.

Great job. I answer your post and all the points, so you make this about a Marino and Elway comparison. You also said Elway was an overrated Qb and not an All-time great in another thread. You can't even be honest with yourself, and you still won't admit you were wrong and keep trying to change the subject. Nice try.

Oh yeah, and Marino had a great pass protection line, Duper, and Clayton for almost his entire career. They spent all their money on offense. He also didn't win shit. Another swing and a miss.

Try to answer the points addressed in my last post if you can. If not, don't post here. Just type out a Word document titled "Things I Believe That Almost No One Else Does" because you are talking to yourself anyway. A conversation only occurs when people try to stay on the same subject and respond to what the other person says.

Respond to my post pointing out all your bullshit that I called on you. Be a big boy and tell me again about the 2 years he had Bettis when he was an old 280 lb. man that couldn't run. Explain that great stretch where Bettis dominated games for Ben. Thought so.

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 08:22 PM
In the 2 years Ben had Bettis the Steelers finished 2nd and 5th in the NFL. Not bad. And since Bettis and FWP are terrible the OL must have been pretty damn good right?

Clayton was good; Duper was average and neither of them was as good as Hines.

Elway is highly overrated but 9 out of 10 sportswriters consider him an all-time great who didn't have a team to win it all. This is the bs you are saying about Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger had the best defense in the league for several years and still had several very good offensive players.

You made the comparison to Marino not me. I wouldn't make such an absurd statement unless I was joking or wanted people to think I'm crazy. No one messes with a crazy person. If I was walking down a dark alley and I saw a gang of thugs I'd be like "Hey guys... Roethlisberger is the new Dan Marino." And they'd be all like "Whoa stay away from this guy he's crazy."

pczach
04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
In the 2 years Ben had Bettis the Steelers finished 2nd and 5th in the NFL. Not bad. And since Bettis and FWP are terrible the OL must have been pretty damn good right?

Clayton was good; Duper was average and neither of them was as good as Hines.

Elway is highly overrated but 9 out of 10 sportswriters consider him an all-time great who didn't have a team to win it all. This is the bs you are saying about Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger had the best defense in the league for several years and still had several very good offensive players.

You made the comparison to Marino not me. I wouldn't make such an absurd statement unless I was joking or wanted people to think I'm crazy. No one messes with a crazy person. If I was walking down a dark alley and I saw a gang of thugs I'd be like "Hey guys... Roethlisberger is the new Dan Marino." And they'd be all like "Whoa stay away from this guy he's crazy."

:rofl:

Just can't own up to the fact that you're wrong. Still talking about everything but the original subject matter. Alright. I guess we'll just agree to disagree then...take care.

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Ben had him for a few of his prime years, but look at Ward's last couple of years in the NFL. He wasn't even a #3 receiver.

Ward was the leading receiver (the number one receiver) in all 3 Superbowl runs. In fact, Ward was a Superbowl MVP. Roethlisberger has never made a Superbowl without Hines Ward and that streak continues.

pczach
04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Ward was the leading receiver (the number one receiver) in all 3 Superbowl runs. In fact, Ward was a Superbowl MVP. Roethlisberger has never made a Superbowl without Hines Ward and that streak continues.

I already told you I think Hines was a great player. I'm just trying to tell you that he hasn't had that many years with these guys while they were truly great.

lloydwoodson
04-17-2013, 08:40 PM

Just can't own up to the fact that you're wrong. Still talking about everything but the original subject matter. Alright. I guess we'll just agree to disagree then...take care.

Actually, I addressed every point you made. I established the Steelers had a dominant running game and an OL with 3 1st round draft picks when Ben entered the league.

I established that Roethlisberger had 2 HOF players on his team at the same time. Bettis was amazing in 3rd down conversions and absolutely a help to the team whether you want to disparage his contributions or not.

You also feel that Clayton and Duper (because you went off on a tangent about Marino rather than staying on the Steelers) are better receivers than Ward. Dlayton and Duper never caught 112 passes in a single season (that is almost 40 better than Clayton's best and Ward had Maddox and Stewart throwing to him).

I would personally say that the 2009 Steelers roster of Ward, Holmes, Wallace and Miller is an amazingly talented group and the best offensive group in Steelers history. That's how I feel about it.

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Actually, I addressed every point you made. I established the Steelers had a dominant running game and an OL with 3 1st round draft picks when Ben entered the league.

I established that Roethlisberger had 2 HOF players on his team at the same time. Bettis was amazing in 3rd down conversions and absolutely a help to the team whether you want to disparage his contributions or not.

You also feel that Clayton and Duper (because you went off on a tangent about Marino rather than staying on the Steelers) are better receivers than Ward. Dlayton and Duper never caught 112 passes in a single season (that is almost 40 better than Clayton's best and Ward had Maddox and Stewart throwing to him).

I would personally say that the 2009 Steelers roster of Ward, Holmes, Wallace and Miller is an amazingly talented group and the best offensive group in Steelers history. That's how I feel about it.

Actually no HOF as of yet, maybe its just a matter of time but who knows.
Bettis retired after Bens second season and was declining so don't know who you were watching. In 2004 JB had 975 yds and was the 17th leading rusher in the NFL, by the Superbowl of 2005 it was Parker carrying the load and he was only the #16 rusher in the NFL.

Ward had 69 catches in 2005 Superbowl good enough for 30th in the league and by 2008 had 81 catches and moved up to 14th in the league, respectable numbers for the type of offense we ran in 2005 and better numbers with the Arians offense of 2008.

Heath Miller is a "GREAT" TE for our type of team and if used in more pass happy offenses with OLines that can protect he would flourish, much like he did last year. But we have used him mainly as a blocker and underutilized him as a receiver.

Wallace was our leading receiver for the season when the Steelers met the Packers not Hines, Hines was injured in the playoffs and was not a factor after that. Wallace was a talented receiver and we were fortunate to have him for a while, but like last season showed he could be a malcontent and just may have been more of a problem.

To be honest I feel Ben has played with at least two HOFers on offense and maybe a 3rd. Bettis and Faneca at the end of their Steelers days and Ward who had some pretty productive years, but to say that Peyton was not surrounded by talent and pooh pooh the multiple Pro Bowl selections of members of his line and his Wideouts is cherry picking at the highest level.

I have called you out before on your hating and the way you only state "facts" that shine on your views, such as how you like to point out that James Harrison "bailed" out the Steelers in the Arizona Superbowl but lend no credence to the game winning drive lead by Ben AFTER the defense gave up two late game scores. Or how you like to bring up Ben's horrible first Superbowl but refuse to even comment on how he played almost flawlessly the three road playoff games to even get to the Superbowl.

You compare Ben to Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rogers, and yet only Brady has more than two Superbowl rings, Peyton has choked more in the big games than he has succeeded. Brees has won only once and it was when his defense was one of the best at creating turnovers and actually scoring points in big games. I think they are all great QBs with Peyton and Brady being locks in the HOF, yet we have a QB that IS not one of those and guess what, none of the other teams do either. Ben is good, the best we have had since Bradshaw, maybe top 5, if not at least top 10 in anybody's book. It is amazing that nearly every "reputable" sports pundit ranks Ben in the top 4-8 Qbs of the NFL but you have to go to a Steeler board to find out just how ordinary he really is.

lloydwoodson
04-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Since when is being 5th best in sports a good thing? If Usain Bolt had finished 5th in the Olympics would he be a world renowned star for his flashy poses? If football was an olympic sport Ben would finish out of the medals.

There are the quarterbacks who are a strong likelihood to win an NFL MVP award and then there are the quarterbacks who are lucky to go to a Probowl.

There are dozens of sports news agencies and I have to come to a Steelers message board to find out that Roethlisberger had to dig deep inside himself and pull out everything he had to drag the NFL's 4th and 1st best defenses to NFL championships.

Roethlisberger played a very good game vs the Cardinals. I have already stated that. But here you come talking trash about the defense who got them there (on a Polamalu int vs the Ravens). The reason the Cardinals were able to get back into the game was because of a hold in the end zone. The resulting safety and the Cardinals getting the ball back kept the Steelers from running the clock. And let's be honest: Kurt Warner was still the better quarterback on the day. Roethlisberger has yet to outplay the other team's quarterback in a Superbowl.

And another thing: Hines Ward had 95 catches for 1167 yards in 2009. Seeing as he had more catches and more touchdowns than Holmes I am going to say he lead the team in receiving if there are no objections. Wallace was a rookie when the Steelers played the Packers (still showed up huge in the Superbowl though). Wallace did not lead the team in receiving that year.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
And just pray tell who do we have that is the #1 player at their current position. If Ben is a top 5 or top 8 QB then who currently on this team is ranked as high. I have always thought it was the sum of all parts that made up a great team. Our defense, other than the two years Troy and James were DPOY have been more about the unit than an individual, but who on offense during Ben's tenure has had the credentials on offense that those two had on defense.

Regardless of the offenses less than stellar years the top ranked defense has let us down too and at the most precarious times. Denver/Tebow ring a bell, and blaming a hold in the endzone still does not excuse the two scores they gave up to Arizona late, LATE. How bout the year after the SB and we lost 5 games where we had the lead and the defense could not hold it. Blame goes around to everybody my friend not just who you deem it belongs to.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
BTW you are incorrect on Hines being the leading receiver in the last Superbowl run. It was Wallace with 60 catches and a ton more yardage. Hines had 59 catches.

desertsteel
04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Lol. He's only played ONE year without him! What a stat.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Hines Ward was a great Steeler, perfect for our system. He was on three teams that went to the Superbowl and was an integral part of all three. He did not lead the team in receiving his last Superbowl he had 59 catches for 755 yds and 5 TDs, while Wallace in his SECOND year came into his own with 60 catches 1257 yards and 10 TDs. The Steelers have been a competitive team nearly every year and since Ben was drafted we have not had a losing season.

We have not always had the most talent on offense, the Oline problems began as early as 2007 and until recent drafts nothing was done to improve. The running game during Bens tenure has seen 5 seasons of a rusher who rushed 1000 yds. 2005,06,07 Willie Parker, the team averaged over 4 yds per carry all three years and rushed as a team for a low of 1992 to a high of 2464. Mendenhall had two seasons of 1000yds in 2009 ,10, and the team once again average over 4 yds per carry and near 2000 as a team with 1924 and 1903. I do not think its a coincidence that we went to two SBs during those years winning one in 2006 and losing in 2010.

What is amazing is that we also won one in 2008 with a total of 1690 yds rushing and an average of 3.7 per carry. Last seasons mirrored that season with 1537 yds and an average of 3.7. Both seasons had a long run that totaled only 34 yards. Most every other season had at least one run of 50 or more. The difference IMO between the SB season of 2008 and last seasons 8-8 record is first the 2008 team was an outstanding defensive unit. Not just a statistical #1 but a defense that forced turnovers, scored, and held opponents late in the game. Second Ben was money late in the games of 2008, hate him or not he managed to pull out enough offense that season to win nearly close game, and finally the biggest difference between the 2008 season and last year was we were a turnover machine last year, fumbles and interceptions late in games and we lost nearly every close game instead of winning.
We may not Peyton or Brady but if the ENTIRE team can play better this next season i.e. less TOs, force more TOs, win more of the close games we could very well be looking at another Superbowl run. Sadly though most eyes will be on #7 and him alone to either win or lose and there lies the fine line between hero and goat and the life of a Steeler QB.

desertsteel
04-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Ben buying in and executing Haley's offense is going to make a huge difference too.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2013, 05:41 PM
If Ben and Haley meet a compromise on the offense then it could be a giant step in the right direction. But Haleys concept or Arians concept matters not if we do not find something resembling an adequate running game, especially if its forced. Last years early games of run, run, pass turned quickly when Ben did not convert on third down as often. I said it with Arians and I will say it with Haley, mix your passes in early try to create some 2nd and shorter yardage and then you can run or pass on second and/or third. With Miller gone early its critical that we convert more than our share of short yardage situations this year.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Well if he can be successful with that oline, and with that bunch of WR's, and with no virtual TE's early on, not to mention that RB core. Hell yea, he should be in the HOF this year, lol.

pczach
04-20-2013, 12:21 PM

Lol. He's only played ONE year without him! What a stat.

It's uncanny isn't it? :sofunny:

pczach
04-20-2013, 12:36 PM
BTW you are incorrect on Hines being the leading receiver in the last Superbowl run. It was Wallace with 60 catches and a ton more yardage. Hines had 59 catches.

Don't waste your breath. He'll never let silly things like the truth or correct stats get in the way of true genius. Check the earlier posts. He makes the claim that Bees, Rodgers, and Manning didn't play with a single Pro Bowler on their teams. I listed 7. He won't even admit he was wrong with the evidence staring him straight in the face. It's like arguing with a 5 year old. If you never admit you were wrong, it didn't really happen.

Bayz101
04-20-2013, 12:56 PM
LOL! Hines retires and one year later "the streak continues".

Can't say I didn't see LW participating in a Ben thread. :doh:

pczach
04-20-2013, 01:34 PM
LOL! Hines retires and one year later "the streak continues".

Can't say I didn't see LW participating in a Ben thread. :doh:

"the streak continues"