PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith

maddog78
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Ugh. Hope not.

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/afcnorth/2013-nfl-draft-predictions-geno-smith-to-the-steelers/

Sharkissle29
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
not a chance

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
negative..

highly doub this happens unless its a 3rd rounder or something. we have toooooo many needs this year at other position to bring in a qb to sit behind ben for years.

the quarterbacks being drafted the last few years are in PLAY NOW mode, and geno wouldnt be playing now. if anything draft bray or someone in the 6th or 7th round

Bayz101
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
negative..

highly doub this happens unless its a 3rd rounder or something. we have toooooo many needs this year at other position to bring in a qb to sit behind ben for years.

the quarterbacks being drafted the last few years are in PLAY NOW mode, and geno wouldnt be playing now. if anything draft bray or someone in the 6th or 7th round

I highly doubt it, too, because he's likely to be gone before our FIRST round pick gets here.

He'd have to break his leg on his way to Radio City to drop to round 3.

Bane
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM
As was said here before, the Steelers more than likely interviewed Smith to pick his brain about his receivers.

TRH
04-11-2013, 10:10 AM
even with the "hear me out first...." part of the story ---- its completely absurd and far-fetched.

In other news, aliens are arriving in the U.S. today at noon. Wait - hear me out....................

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I can see us taking a QB in rounds 3 or 4. Someone like Jones or the Tenn QB. Develop him for 3-4 years and he can step in for Ben at that time.

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't think that was even a legitimate news source. Just some dude's blog. Some crazy dude.

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I can see us taking a QB in rounds 3 or 4. Someone like Jones or the Tenn QB. Develop him for 3-4 years and he can step in for Ben at that time.

please no landry jones.

maybe one of the tylers if they are their in round 5 or 6

teegre
04-11-2013, 11:00 AM
This article is just a blog.

That said, let's use it as a catalyst for discussion.

Geno Smith in R2 (or R3)... you make that pick in a heartbeat!!! You'd not only get great back-up, he could develop into a great QB (if he sat behind BB for four years). The value in R2 (or R3) is crazy. Again, that is a no-brainer.

Now... at 17... eh.

I've said that the Steelers were not solely meeting with Smith to talk about his WRs (Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey); they were actually talking to Geno about Geno. Why? To make it appear that they have some interest in him. That way, teams like the Jaguars, would trade up for him.

Now... Geno is not likely to drop out of the top ten... but, neither was Aaron Rodgers.

If he is there at 17, teams will be on the phone with the Steelers, because Jerrah WILL take Smith at 18. (I am predicting a shocker: the Cowboys take E.J. Manuel at 18.)

But... let's think about Geno Smith for a second. Do the Steelers take him at 17? Think it over for a few seconds. My immediate reaction is "NO WAY!!!"... but, after sleeping on the idea, I had a different thought.

Think about last season. BB goes down for three games, and returns while still injured, and the season is lost. If you could have used a R1 pick to get into the play-offs, wouldn't have you??? Well, Geno is that R1 pick.

Let me put it another way:
The Steelers are being hyped by ESPN. BB goes down. The Steelers lose five of their next seven games, and they miss the play-offs. And, a sub-par Ravens team runs the table.

Let's add Geno Smith to that equation.
The Steelers are being hyped by ESPN. BB goes down. Geno Smith starts (while BB recovers). The Steelers win five of their next seven games, and they go into the play-offs as the top seed. BB returns, and the Steelers win the SuperBowl.

It's something to think about... albeit mostly just a daydream.

SteelersCanada
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
If Geno Smith is there at 17 I take him in a heartbeat.

He's really not as bad as everyone says he is. This is a kid that played fairly well behind a piss poor offensive line and while he had two pretty good offensive weapons in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, he rose above every other collegiate Quarterback right now (save for maybe Teddy Bridgewater).

I take him in the first round. That being said, he's going to Philadelphia at number 4 so this becomes a non-discussion.

Vis
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
If Geno Smith is there at 17 we trade the pick.

teegre
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
If Geno Smith is there at 17 we trade the pick.

Optimal trade: back one spot, with Dallas, and pick up their R3 pick.

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Optimal trade: back one spot, with Dallas, and pick up their R3 pick.

yeah but its not like dallas wants smith either,

if a team wants smith its gonna be the chefs or jags and thats gonna cost them a 3 this year and next years first rounder. dont you think?

casteeler
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
If Geno Smith is there at 17 I take him in a heartbeat.

He's really not as bad as everyone says he is. This is a kid that played fairly well behind a piss poor offensive line and while he had two pretty good offensive weapons in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, he rose above every other collegiate Quarterback right now (save for maybe Teddy Bridgewater).

I take him in the first round. That being said, he's going to Philadelphia at number 4 so this becomes a non-discussion.

We agree on something:tt::surprise:

teegre
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
yeah but its not like dallas wants smith either,

if a team wants smith its gonna be the chefs or jags and thats gonna cost them a 3 this year and next years first rounder. dont you think?

Like I said a few posts earlier, I think that Dallas take E.J. Manuel at 18... and thus, if Geno Smith is there at 17, they would gladly trade up one spot.

But, Yes, Jacksonville trading up (for their R2 & R3 this year, as well, as their R1 next year is another possibility.)

Curtain_of_Steel
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
He won't be available as others will trade up before the 17th to get him. If he is to be available, the Steelers can easily trade out of it and get a nice package.

We only have 13 holes in our lineup to fill, lol Im sure we can use the picks

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Like I said a few posts earlier, I think that Dallas take E.J. Manuel at 18... and thus, if Geno Smith is there at 17, they would gladly trade up one spot.

didn't the Cowgirls just re-sign Tony Romo to a six-year $108 million contract extension?

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
And if Dan Marino is available at 17 we pass on him!!!

SteelersCanada
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
We agree on something:tt::surprise:

Clearly hell has frozen over.

:drink:

teegre
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
didn't the Cowgirls just re-sign Tony Romo to a six-year $108 million contract extension?

That does seem to put a slight kink in my theory. Hmmm... (D'oh!!!)

Really though, I just see Jerrah takin' him a quarta-back. He can have that QB sit behind Romo, and then, once Romo throws an INT (or four) in a big game, in steps Manuel.

Steeldude
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
The Steelers are dumb enough to do it. They love QBs who cannot throw, but instead run.

ebsteelers
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
teegre

its only 3 o clock in the afternoon east coast time,

and the pirates arent even playing a game this afternoon, lay off the man sodas!!!!!!

i think you meant to say Browns are gonna draft EJ Manuel with the 6th pick overall, and the Cowboys are gonna skip their pick completely cause they dont need know stinkin picks with Sunshine Tony at qb

teegre
04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
teegre

its only 3 o clock in the afternoon east coast time,

and the pirates arent even playing a game this afternoon, lay off the man sodas!!!!!!

i think you meant to say Browns are gonna draft EJ Manuel with the 6th pick overall, and the Cowboys are gonna skip their pick completely cause they dont need know stinkin picks with Sunshine Tony at qb

::hiding in shame::