PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison meeting with Bengals

Vis
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tbody><tr><td id="dnn_LeftPane" class="LeftPane" valign="top">
</td> <td id="dnn_ContentPane" class="ContentPane" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="50px"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000"> Apr</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> 11</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> 4/11/2013 11:24:00 AM <table> <tbody><tr> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Outspoken linebacker James Harrison is visiting the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, Mike Garafolo and Joe Reedy of USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2013/04/11/linebacker-james-harrison-visits-bengals/2074049/) report. This according to a person informed of the meeting between the sides. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team doesn't comment on free-agent visits.

Harrison was to meet with the Baltimore Ravens recently and was in Baltimore but did not meet with the team because the Ravens reached an agreement with Elvis Dumervil instead.

The Steelers cut him after attempts to work out a pay cut from his scheduled salary of $6.57 million failed.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Fire Arians
04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
damn :(

Atlanta Dan
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Since the Bengals play a 4-3 not certain this a good fit

According to PFT

He could project as a strong-side linebacker in the Bengalsí base defense as well as a defensive end in passing situations. Manny Lawson, who started on the strong side for the Bengals in 2012, departed in free agency.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/bengals-james-harrison-meet/

Bottom line is Harrison let his pride cost him big $$ by not taking the Steelers offer - for his sake I hope this is not a repeat of the sad ending of Franco Harris in Seattle in 1984

jacobo
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
bet he gets more holding calls against us in two games than he did with us his entire career

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I really hope that after the draft we bring back JH at the reduced salary. I think he still has a 12-14 sack season in him.

vasteeler
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
he would look so ridiculous in a bengals uniform....actually everyone looks ridiculous in a bengals uniform

Fire Haley
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Run Ben Run

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
don't like the sound of this, Bengals have a lot of money to spend on a player for one year.

fansince'76
04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
bet he gets more holding calls against us in two games than he did with us his entire career

This.

tanda10506
04-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow, their defense was already pretty damn good, Harrison would be a lethal addition.

Vis
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Wow, their defense was already pretty damn good, Harrison would be a lethal addition.

Harrison hasn't been lethal the last two years

Curtain_of_Steel
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Harrison played just fine last year considering Woodley took another year off. The guy plays 110% on evry down he is on the filed, and once he got into better game shape he stepped up even more. Steelers made a bonehead call on his knee as that should've been dealt with long before August.

Not that he isnt here the naysayers step out, but the guy played hard. He desereves to sign with anyone who wants to pay him. Steelers cut him, he didn't walk from us.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Desert Steel and Atlanta Dave, I agree 100%. I was hoping he wouldn't sign, because Woodley is a cream donut away from going out for 6 games with a bad hammy again.

TRH
04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
i'll bet that 3 million dollar "cut" is now looking like supreme riches......

Twentyvalve
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I wanna say that Harrison has sacked Ben in college in a few times. I think he once picked him up and threw him to the ground. Here is a good read:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/harrisons-college-career-forecast-his-steelers-successes-510121/

Run Ben Run

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 02:27 PM
A division rival is worst case scenario for Steeler fans (and QBs). He will be hungry, motivated, and supremely pissed at the Steelers. A bad combination if your name is Ben Roethlisberger.

austinfrench76
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
LOL. That's al I can feel at this point.

steeltheone
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Harrison played just fine last year considering Woodley took another year off. The guy plays 110% on evry down he is on the filed, and once he got into better game shape he stepped up even more. Steelers made a bonehead call on his knee as that should've been dealt with long before August.

Not that he isnt here the naysayers step out, but the guy played hard. He desereves to sign with anyone who wants to pay him. Steelers cut him, he didn't walk from us.

The Steelers wanted him to take a cut in pay with a chance to earn much of it back in incentives. He said NO...

The amount the Steelers offered is much more than he will get from any team in free agency.

Harrison rolled the dice and lost.

sloppyjoe
04-11-2013, 03:06 PM
The Steelers wanted him to take a cut in pay with a chance to earn much of it back in incentives. He said NO...

The amount the Steelers offered is much more than he will get from any team in free agency.

yup and if he didnt decide to take off all otas, mini camp etc and part of the season, he woulda been making alot more money this year than he will end up with

desertsteel
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM

I've asked this before. What incentives? I never read anything about incentives. Can this be confirmed via a news source? I may have missed it.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:10 PM
yup and if he didnt decide to take off all otas, mini camp etc and part of the season, he woulda been making alot more money this year than he will end up with

Yeah, that had absolutely nothing to do with needing knee surgery. Pu$$y shoulda just played through it. :doh:

OX1947
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Seriously, this sucks. He had one more year's worth.

sloppyjoe
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that had absolutely nothing to do with needing knee surgery. Pu$$y shoulda just played through it. :doh:

pu$$y should have had it after the broncos choke game and he would have been ready for the season but instead wanted to skip all the hard work and stroll in mid season.

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
pu$$y should have had it after the broncos choke game and he would have been ready for the season but instead wanted to skip all the hard work and stroll in mid season.

FINALLY, some sound reasoning! :sarcasm:

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
FINALLY, some sound reasoning! :sarcasm:

sloppy joe knows football :wink02:

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
sloppy joe knows football :wink02:

He certainly doesn't know knee injuries..... or the inner workings of James Harrison's mind.

harrison'samonster
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
He certainly doesn't know knee injuries..... or the inner workings of James Harrison's mind.

knee injury, pshaw! With the money they're making they should be able to play without knees! or minds! Sloppy ho's got the knees of an 80 year old, and a labotomy, you don't see him taking time off through the hard work.

Quackjack
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Better than Baltimore...

Buddha Bus
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
knee injury, pshaw! With the money they're making they should be able to play without knees! or minds!

Some already do. We're looking at you Pacman!

pczach
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
A division rival is worst case scenario for Steeler fans (and QBs). He will be hungry, motivated, and supremely pissed at the Steelers. A bad combination if your name is Ben Roethlisberger.

Remember when he said "Our quarterback thinks he's Peyton Manning, but he's not." Don't think Ben's not thinking about stuffing that up Harrison's ass. Harrison isn't the only one looking to stick it to someone. Just sayin'.

TRH
04-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Remember when he said "Our quarterback thinks he's Peyton Manning, but he's not." Don't think Ben's not thinking about stuffing that up Harrison's ass. Harrison isn't the only one looking to stick it to someone. Just sayin'.

I agree - and as much as i like Harrison, some people around here are acting as if he's some godlike, unstoppable force, who will blow through all lines and blocks on every play of every down.
Not even close....

It makes no difference to me if he signs with a division rival. I figured he would end up signing something with Cleveland or Cincy. And best of luck to him.

OX1947
04-11-2013, 04:25 PM

I wish he thought he was Peyton Manning. He would never miss a game if he thought like Manning.

pczach
04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I wish he thought he was Peyton Manning. He would never miss a game if he thought like Manning.

He'd never have a game-winning drive in the playoffs either.....

OX1947
04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
He'd never have a game-winning drive in the playoffs either.....

OOOOOOOOOOOOH rim shot!

Atlanta Dan
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I've asked this before. What incentives? I never read anything about incentives. Can this be confirmed via a news source? I may have missed it.

It has been answered before and Harrison's agent has not denied this report

According to Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk.com:

``Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrisonís base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives arenít known.)

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/36043-harrison-released

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/

OX1947
04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
It has been answered before and Harrison's agent has not denied this report

``Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrisonís base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives arenít known.)

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/36043-harrison-released

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/

Man, giant blunder on the part of the agent. I am sure there is a possibility James is the type that overrides his agent when it comes down to it, but they made a massive mistake. It's one think to take a pay cut, it's another to take a paycut and be told you can get it back as long as you perform. Huge mistake.

sloppyjoe
04-11-2013, 07:50 PM

but you do?
pretty simple logic that if harrison would have taken care of his knee right away he would have been at full speed from the very beginning. his numbers would have been better. our record probably would have been better and the steelers would have had a real hard time asking him to take a paycut.

FanSince72
04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't know if Harrison is still right for us but I sure as hell can't picture him wearing one of those hideous Halloween costumes in Cincy.

Bane
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
but you do?
pretty simple logic that if harrison would have taken care of his knee right away he would have been at full speed from the very beginning. his numbers would have been better. our record probably would have been better and the steelers would have had a real hard time asking him to take a paycut.

Calm yourself, doctor. The dude is pushing 40 years old and has two kids he's very dedicated to. He may have done everything he possibly could for his knee and it just may not have been enough. And being the competitor he is, I'm sure he did.

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 07:25 AM
but you do?

Of course, in hindsight it would have been better if he had taken care of it sooner. Nice Monday morning doctoring there. He tried to go without the surgery and, much like his contract fiasco, gambled and lost. If I were James Harrison I certainly wouldn't be heading to Vegas anytime soon with his run of luck, that's for sure.

Now where did I claim to know the inner workings of his mind again?

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 07:27 AM
James Harrison's visit impresses Cincinnati Bengals
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: April 11, 2013 at 09:02 p.m.

James Harrison might wind up staying in the AFC North, but not with the Baltimore Ravens, as many expected early in the free agency process. Harrison is visiting the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. The story was first reported by USA Today Sports.

Harrison, 34, gambled and lost when he refused to take a pay cut to stay with the Pittsburgh Steelers for another season. The Steelers reportedly were offering more than $4 million, a total Harrison is very unlikely to get now that he's been ignored on the free-agent market for a month. Harrison was set to meet the Ravens last month, but the Ravens wound up signing Elvis Dumervil before the visit ever occurred.

The Bengals have been active this week hosting linebackers. Karlos Dansby and Akeem Jordan also are in town. The team is looking for a starting strong-side linebacker to go with middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and weak-side linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

It's easy to call Harrison over the hill because of his age, but it's not as easy if you actually watch his film from the end of the 2012 season. He was one of the Steelers' better defensive starters down the stretch, and an average NFL starter at worst. Surely, he wants to play against his former team twice a year.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159178/article/james-harrisons-visit-impresses-cincinnati-bengals

IamTheSteelGod
04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
I stuck by him no matter what but if he signs with the Bungals he is done. I dont even blaim him for not taking a paycut as he was messed about for years without a decent wage. He should have took the cut this season though.

Fire Haley
04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I thought they wanted to improve through the draft?

Bengals aim to beat rivals at own game

If you talk to Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, nearly everything has gone according to plan. What exactly is that plan? The Bengals are looking to beat the Ravens and Steelers at their own game, which means building a team through the draft instead of buying one in March.

You can accuse the Bengals of being cheap. You can criticize them for not being aggressive in free agency. You just can’t knock their process, because it’s working.

The Bengals have been to the postseason in three of the past four seasons -- which is more times than Pittsburgh over that span -- and they’re doing it with homegrown players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68153/bengals-plan-to-beat-rivals-at-their-own-game

Lady Steel
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
James Harrison via Facebook ~

Had a good visit with Mr. Brown,Coach Lewis and The Cincinnati Bengals Organization.

Vis
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Had a good visit with Mr. Brown,Coach Lewis and The Cincinnati Bengals Organization.

"Left without a contract but am following Mr. Brown on Twitter"

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM

honestly, I know it's not a popular opinion, but I always wish our former players the best. Except when they're playing against us! I hope Wallace, Lewis, Mendenhall, and now possibly Harrison all success. Just not a SB victory.

jasonpirkle
04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I think it's a mistake not to sign him on the cheap.

jjpro11
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
honestly, I know it's not a popular opinion, but I always wish our former players the best. Except when they're playing against us! I hope Wallace, Lewis, Mendenhall, and now possibly Harrison all success. Just not a SB victory.

He all but won us the Super Bowl and was the most intimidating player in the league while he played for us. I am not going to hate him if he goes to another team. It is a business.. Some fans just don't seem to understand that. A lot of guys in free agency this year played the market wrong. The dollars were not flying like in previous years.

pczach
04-12-2013, 02:27 PM

That's because you're not an angry, shallow, bitter, anal, antagonistic prick like me.:chuckle:

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Good luck James. You're in my Top 5 favorite players of all time. I wish you nothing but the best of luck on and off the field. I hope you make the Rooney's regret letting you go and I hope you have huge games against us too.

IamTheSteelGod
04-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Is there any possible chance he may come back or is the Steelers organisation just too stuborn???

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Sounded like no chance. It will be very unlikely.

sloppyjoe
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I think it's a mistake not to sign him on the cheap.

he doesnt want to be a steeler anymore. he had the chance to make 4+ with incentives to earn it all but chose to walk away. noway he comes back here on the cheap;. harrison F'ed up.

Sharkissle29
04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
he doesnt want to be a steeler anymore. he had the chance to make 4+ with incentives to earn it all but chose to walk away. noway he comes back here on the cheap;. harrison F'ed up.

You have to figure with no one really interested he is not going to see anywhere near that kind of deal as well.

Steeldude
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Perhaps Harrision was upset because they asked him to take a pay-cut, but not Woodley. The difference in terms of impact and play between Woodley and Harrison is huge. In Harrison's eyes they will pay a lazy player(Woodley) $10,000,000, but not him. IMO, the Steelers should have asked Woodley to take a pay-cut. Why ask a better player to take a cut, but not an inferior one who makes the same salary?

Ricco Suavez
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Steelers stubborn? Sounds like James shot his self in the foot not the other way around. The lack of interest by the rest of the league speaks volumes on what the experts think, (not the experts at ESPN, NFL network, or PFT). People who have judge talent for years do not what him, of course they could be wrong but every team had the chance to scoop him up and now its come to this, a division opponent looking for a back up with inside info. I love James, but he should of took the offer.

zcoop
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Technically he was offered 2.19 (30% of 6.57mil) to play. I'd love to know what the incentives were. Does anyone here know what they specified?

harrison'samonster
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
zcoop, it seems he was offered around 4 mill (after taking 30% off). I would guess he thought he could get them to raise it back up by playing hard ball.

``Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrisonís base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives arenít known.)[/I]

Buddha Bus
04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
James Harrison, Cincinnati Bengals share high interest
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: April 12, 2013 at 05:55 p.m.

James Harrison's search for a new home might be nearing its end.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that a high level of mutual interest exists between the Cincinnati Bengals and the 34-year-old linebacker, according to one source involved in the situation.

Harrison and the Bengals have yet to enter in-depth contract talks on the heels of Thursday's visit, but Rapoport was told discussions are likely to heat up over the weekend.

Cincinnati hosted Harrison along with Karlos Dansby this week, but don't plan to sign both. Signs point to Harrison joining the Bengals, who envision him as a base outside linebacker and nickel pass-rusher, according to team sources.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159469/article/james-harrison-cincinnati-bengals-share-high-interest

TRH
04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
James Harrison, Cincinnati Bengals share high interest
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: April 12, 2013 at 05:55 p.m.

James Harrison's search for a new home might be nearing its end.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that a high level of mutual interest exists between the Cincinnati Bengals and the 34-year-old linebacker, according to one source involved in the situation.

Harrison and the Bengals have yet to enter in-depth contract talks on the heels of Thursday's visit, but Rapoport was told discussions are likely to heat up over the weekend.

Cincinnati hosted Harrison along with Karlos Dansby this week, but don't plan to sign both. Signs point to Harrison joining the Bengals, who envision him as a base outside linebacker and nickel pass-rusher, according to team sources.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159469/article/james-harrison-cincinnati-bengals-share-high-interest

Good for him!! I hope he gets a contract, signs, and is able to play.
I would have hated to see Jame's career end on a note where nobody wanted him.

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
James is a very hard worker.. if he ain't talking about hunting, going to the movies, or.doing charity work he talking about working out, healing, acupuncture, and more working out. He deserves the money and opportunity way more than woodleys fat lazy ass. The Steelers organization is 100% wrong with the Harrison situation. Fuck Woodley. He's an overpaid bum as far as I'm concerned. If he comes in over weight and takes him 3/4 of the season, or the whole season like last year to look like an top paid NFL linebacker again, then he's a shit bag and will be in my shit house for as long as he's a steeler. I regret buying that shitbags jersey. 35 year old multiple surgery having Harrison > than a 28 year old overpaid shit bag lazy Woodley.

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Perhaps Harrision was upset because they asked him to take a pay-cut, but not Woodley. The difference in terms of impact and play between Woodley and Harrison is huge. In Harrison's eyes they will pay a lazy player(Woodley) $10,000,000, but not him. IMO, the Steelers should have asked Woodley to take a pay-cut. Why ask a better player to take a cut, but not an inferior one who makes the same salary?

Fuck yeah Steeldude.

zcoop
04-12-2013, 11:18 PM
zcoop, it seems he was offered around 4 mill (after taking 30% off). I would guess he thought he could get them to raise it back up by playing hard ball.

Thanks for the info, I didn't read back through the previous posts. I agree, he should've taken the 4 mil then.

OX1947
04-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Why cant James get the hell out of the AFC North for god sakes. Go to Philly, why are all the team in the AFC North talking to him, go somewhere else.

Bane
04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Why cant James get the hell out of the AFC North for god sakes. Go to Philly, why are all the team in the AFC North talking to him, go somewhere else.

Because he knows the Steelers' defense. And is still good.

I'm just shocked he's not a Cardinal already.

fer522
04-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Bengals getting closer to deal with James Harrison

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT

James Harrisonís unemployment may be coming to an end.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bengals will try to complete a deal this week with Harrison, the 34-year-old outside linebacker who has spent his entire career with the Steelers.

Harrison met with the Bengals last week, and Cincinnati appears to be the team that has the most interest in him. Harrison hasnít generated a lot of attention in free agency since turning down a pay cut with the Steelers and getting cut as a result.

The Bengals have been trying to add a veteran linebacker and were also interested in Karlos Dansby, but according to Schefter, Harrison looks like heís going to be easier (which presumably means cheaper) to sign. Harrison is coming off a 2012 season in which he had 6.0 sacks, his fewest since becoming a starter in 2007.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/bengals-getting-closer-to-deal-with-james-harrison/

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Bengals getting closer to deal with James Harrison

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT

James Harrisonís unemployment may be coming to an end.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bengals will try to complete a deal this week with Harrison, the 34-year-old outside linebacker who has spent his entire career with the Steelers.

Harrison met with the Bengals last week, and Cincinnati appears to be the team that has the most interest in him. Harrison hasnít generated a lot of attention in free agency since turning down a pay cut with the Steelers and getting cut as a result.

The Bengals have been trying to add a veteran linebacker and were also interested in Karlos Dansby, but according to Schefter, Harrison looks like heís going to be easier (which presumably means cheaper) to sign. Harrison is coming off a 2012 season in which he had 6.0 sacks, his fewest since becoming a starter in 2007.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/bengals-getting-closer-to-deal-with-james-harrison/

I love it...Playing for the Bengals, what a way to end a career.:rofl:

Fire Haley
04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Run Ben Run

Bane
04-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Don't the Bungals run a 4-3?

beer72
04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Just watched on sportscenter looks like this is gonna happen this week with the bungals..
sad day

kan_t
04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Because he knows the Steelers' defense. And is still good.

I'm just shocked he's not a Cardinal already.
Or because other teams don't want him.

jtbsteeler
04-14-2013, 12:15 PM
He's dead to me.

austinfrench76
04-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I think since he's now a traitor we should refer to him as Jim not James. How much LESS scary is Jim Harrison. Sounds like a weasely dude who's always reminding you to keep your kids off of his lawn! That's my vote. Thanks for your service Jim.

Bayz101
04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Funny how hateful Steelers fans are of James.

He declined taking a several million dollar pay cut? Such a TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING, right?

No. Not at all. These guys pay taxes in every state they play in, and with James getting several bullshit fines a year adding up to several hundred thousands of dollars, he's in it to make every bit of money he can. I don't blame him one bit leaving us for an opportunity to secure his future as a retired Steelers football legend.

Thanks James, for everything. Especially that 100+ yard interception return in the Super Bowl that undoubtedly gave us an advantage when it was all said and done.

Bane
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM

He declined taking a several million dollar pay cut? Such a TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING, right?

No. Not at all. These guys pay taxes in every state they play in, and with James getting several bullshit fines a year adding up to several hundred thousands of dollars, he's in it to make every bit of money he can. I don't blame him one bit leaving us for an opportunity to secure his future as a retired Steelers football legend.

Thanks James, for everything. Especially that 100+ yard interception return in the Super Bowl that undoubtedly gave us an advantage when it was all said and done.

I'm not mad at him at all for any of that. I'm mad at the Steelers front office for not managing the salary cap better, with the future in mind especially. Hell, I actually applaud James for sticking to his guns. I wish we could have kept him, but I don't blame him one bit.

However, if you go to a division rival, it's on. :chuckle:

Bayz101
04-14-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm not mad at him at all for any of that. I'm mad at the Steelers front office for not managing the salary cap better, with the future in mind especially. Hell, I actually applaud James for sticking to his guns. I wish we could have kept him, but I don't blame him one bit.

However, if you go to a division rival, it's on. :chuckle:

Yeah, none of that was directed towards you. Just those who believe James is a traitor, which is absolute bullshit, in my opinion. Wallace, maybe, but James?

Bane
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah, none of that was directed towards you. Just those who believe James is a traitor, which is absolute bullshit, in my opinion. Wallace, maybe, but James?

Oh, I know. Because if it was...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7znmnHa6e1qfd8xho1_1280.gif

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
haha. I'll never consider a player a traitor. Honestly these guys don't look at the game the same way we do. For them it's a job. It might be a job they love, but when it comes down to it, this is how they make their living. And they aren't fans of the team they play for.

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison will try to complete a deal this week. Harrison more signable than Karlos Dansby at this time.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Atlanta Dan
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Will be interested to see what the contract numbers are - bet it will be significantly less than the $4 million the Steelers offered

It's a business - given what Harrison brought on the open market hard to argue he was lowballed by the Steelers, given that Deebo was more "signable" than Dolphins' castoff Karlos Dansby

OliverPoop
04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh, I know. Because if it was...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7znmnHa6e1qfd8xho1_1280.gif

Was it his spirit that broke or his body?

Bayz101
04-14-2013, 03:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see whats offered. Wonder how people will act if it was more than what we offered?

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Wallace isn't either, you can't apply that logic to one guy and not the other. They both wanted paid.

Playing for the Bengals seems more like a demotion than getting paid!!

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 04:12 PM

:rofl: well, at least with Harrison on the team you couldn't say the Bengals su.....no nevermind, they would still suck.

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM

the Bengals went to the playoffs last season while we watched them on tv...

steelfury02
04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
There's 31 other fan bases that see the Bengals trending upwards and we're trending down. I wouldn't take the Bengals defense lightly without Harrison.

With Harrison? Jesus.

pete74
04-14-2013, 05:16 PM
There's 31 other fan bases that see the Bengals trending upwards and we're trending down. I wouldn't take the Bengals defense lightly without Harrison.

With Harrison? Jesus.

Agreed. They have arguably the best defensive line in football

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
the Bengals went to the playoffs last season while we watched them on tv...

They did make the playoffs and all the other playoff teams were jumping for joy. One thing you can always count on is a Marvin Lewis coached team joking. I hope the Bengals never fire him.

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 09:20 PM

With Harrison? Jesus.

with a healthy Harrison, yes. whether James can remain so for an entire season has yet to be seen...

Bayz101
04-14-2013, 10:07 PM
James wasn't even fully healthy at the end of last season, and he was clearly our best pass-rusher and run-stopper on defense.

He'll go into this season fully healthy, and whoever signs him will benefit greatly with him on their defense.

I believe that if our front office we're truly focused on winning Super Bowl's NOW, they'd of kept Harrison on the team. They're trying to stack the defense up with young talent, and their preparing for a new look on defense for the 2013 season.

We can still make a run granted we stay healthy, but the front office moves certainly didn't reflect that in Harrison's case.

Atlanta Dan
04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
James wasn't even fully healthy at the end of last season, and he was clearly our best pass-rusher and run-stopper on defense.

He'll go into this season fully healthy, and whoever signs him will benefit greatly with him on their defense. .

He may go in to the season fully healthy but it is a valid question to ask how long into the season he will stay that way - Harrison had the back problem that slowed him down in 2010 and the start of 2011 followed by whatever thought process resulted in not getting knee surgery done until 2012 training camp

IMO the Steelers made a fair offer and for reasons of pride Harrison will be getting less somewhere else - keeping Harrison would be a plus but the $$ required to do so cannot be ignored

Harrison had a 6 year run (2007 - 2012) as OLB for the Steelers - my recollection is that is about how long other OLBs (Lloyd, Gildon, Porter) have lasted as playmakers at that position - time moves on

sloppyjoe
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM

word is that he had very attainable incentive clauses that would have enabled him to make 100% of his original contract numbers..........all he had to do was play and produce and he could have made that 6.7. lets see what he gets from the bungals.

TheVet
04-15-2013, 02:59 AM
I'm not looking forward to facing that Bengals defense. Who do we have that can stop a healthy Harrison? It's gonna really suck to watch James blow by one of young OTs on his way to greet Ben.

It never shoulda happened, but here we are.

TheVet
04-15-2013, 03:01 AM
On the other hand, maybe it's not so bad. If the Steelers have learned anything, it's that opposing teams are allowed to hold Harrison without fear of being penalized. Maybe that's the game plan!

SteelCitian
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Imagine the horror if Harrison were to take out Ben.

SteelersCanada
04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
If the Bengals feel like they needed to get Harrison, maybe their defense wasn't that great after all.

ebsteelers
04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Imagine the horror if Harrison were to take out Ben.

nah gilbert will roll into harrison knee

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Man, I wish we didnt sign Foote. We could have had Karlos Dansby instead at probably similar $$. Dansby and Harrison were visiting Bengals and looks like they are gonna take Harrison.

Woodley, Timmons, Dansby and Worilds would be OK to start on gameday. :doh:

Bane
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Man, I wish we didnt sign Foote. We could have had Karlos Dansby instead at probably similar $$. Dansby and Harrison were visiting Bengals and looks like they are gonna take Harrison.

Woodley, Timmons, Dansby and Worilds would be OK to start on gameday. :doh:

Maybe that'll be a possibility after June?

BowCatShot
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Wonder how much the lack of interest in Harrison has to do with the intense hatred that Goodell has for the man. Goodell hates him so the rest of the candy assed owners say "Yes Mr. Goodell sir, we hate him too."

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 01:39 PM

the reason the Bungals are choosing Harrison is because Dansby is looking for a lot more $$.

Lady Steel
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
He's gonna look like a dork in a Bengals uniform. :laughing:

TheVet
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Hahah, yes he will. Unfortunately, barring injury, he's still gonna kick our butt twice a year.

vasteeler
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM

doesn't everybody:chuckle:

Lady Steel
04-15-2013, 03:29 PM
True dat, vasteeler! :laughing:

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Cincinnati Bengals want Steelers hater James Harrison
By Kevin Patra NFL.com
Published: April 16, 2013 at 07:19 a.m.

James Harrison signing in Cincinnati seems so assumed that Bengals players sounded perfectly comfortable talking about the linebacker's potential addition on Monday.

"One of the things I like about him is he brings that intensity and swagger to the defense," defensive tackle Domata Peko said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Whenever I watch him play he is knocking people's heads off. That's what you want on that team. With Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins, those are a lot of playmakers out there and to add someone like Harrison would be awesome for us."

Harrison met with the Bengals' brass Monday to work on a contract, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. A deal has yet to be agreed upon.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160180/article/cincinnati-bengals-want-steelers-hater-james-harrison

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Now I've been a defender of Harrison since his release, but if this whole "Steeler hater" thing is true, fuck that guy. He (and his stupid agent) screwed himself when he turned down the incentive-laden contract even though it was for less money outright. James was too proud to take a pay cut and is going to end up making less now with another team for that gamble.

If he thinks he's worth the same or more than the Steelers were offering him, then why didn't one single team even come close to offering him that once he became a free agent? Shouldn't he be equally as mad at the other teams in the league for feeling he wasn't even worth that? Are the Bengals offering him an opportunity to make the same money the Steelers were? NO!

At least Pittsburgh had enough faith in him to give him the opportunity to make the same money as long as he met his incentives. I'm starting to lean the other way on Debo now.

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Wow, the title of that article is going to incite a lot of "hate' of Harrison in and of itself. Holy poop!

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Wow, the title of that article is going to incite a lot of "hate' of Harrison in and of itself. Holy poop!

i hope he doesn't hate the steelers. we gave him a chance when nobody else in the league would. in other words, the steelers organization made him who he is today.

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Harrison met with the Bengals' brass Monday to work on a contract, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. A contract has yet to surface.

The 34-year-old former NFL Defensive Player of the Year would slide into the strong-side linebacker spot alongside middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and weak-side linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

The Bengals' locker room likes the idea of lining him up against the Pittsburgh Steelers twice next season.

"He hates the Steelers now, and that's somebody we need on our side of the football," defensive end Carlos Dunlap said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160180/article/cincinnati-bengals-want-steelers-hater-james-harrison

pczach
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
It's pretty eye-opening isn't it? The Steelers offered him way more than anyone else to keep him here and allow him to retire as a Steeler. Now he hates the Steelers? What a complete steaming pile this has turned into.:poop:

Dogtown
04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
James Harrison's talks with Bengals "not going well"

Pump the brakes on the lovefest between free agent James Harrison and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Harrison met with the Bengals Monday to hammer out a contract, but talks have hit a snag. "It's not going well," a source informed of the process told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Asked by Rapoport to characterize the most recent discussions, the source added, "Doesn't look real good."

Contract talks ebb and flow. Harrison's representatives are still waiting for another response from the Bengals. It no longer seems inevitable, though, that Harrison will have the chance to take out his hatred on the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013.

If Harrison's demands are too high, the Bengals could opt for Plan B. Former Miami Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby is still available after visiting Cincinnati last week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160306/article/james-harrisons-talks-with-bengals-not-going-well

SteelersCanada
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Harrison is burning all of his bridges.

I hope he enjoys retirement.

vasteeler
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM

either that or he comes back to us on the cheap........i can dream right?

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Not only is James burning all his bridges, but he's also making a fool of himself.

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
James Harrison's talks with Bengals "not going well"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160306/article/james-harrisons-talks-with-bengals-not-going-well

further down in that article...

ďHe hates the Steelers now, and thatís somebody we need on our side,Ē defensive end Carlos Dunlap said

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 03:31 PM
further down in that article...

ďHe hates the Steelers now, and thatís somebody we need on our side,Ē defensive end Carlos Dunlap said

you're really on the ball.

see post #109.

Dogtown
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
"Pride" can sure be a bitch at times....

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 03:34 PM

see post #109.

:laughing:

OX1947
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, I think this is proof his agent isnt calling the shots now. James really screwing himself here. If you want money, you have a good chance at fleecing owners like Snyder and Jones because they have so much and dont care. But Mike Brown is one of the cheapest, lousiest owners in the history of the NFL in terms of running a team well and paying people well.

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
It's pretty eye-opening isn't it? The Steelers offered him way more than anyone else to keep him here and allow him to retire as a Steeler. Now he hates the Steelers? What a complete steaming pile this has turned into.:poop:

The word "ingrate" comes to mind.

TRH
04-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Harrison and his agent are foolishly basing getting a contract on what he was back around 2008/2009.
Since - there's been various injuries, a bad reputation with the league itself (although mostly unfounded, its still a fact), and he's heading into his upper 30's. They were LUCKY to get the reduced offer from Pittsburgh - i have no idea what James and his agent are smoking right now.
I hope he ends up getting the deal with Cincy, because i'd hate to see his career end like this.

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM

see post #109.

I blame the heat - I just got back from the beach and I'm scorched

and if anyone's going to be giving me whip lashings I'd prefer it to be Lady Steel

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM

see post #109.

Pssst... actually, it's post # 106. :wink02:

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I hate the offseason

I'll just stick to hockey

TheVet
04-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn, this turned ugly. It never shoulda happened ...
:sadness:

But I'm still hoping for a tearful reunion with the Black and Gold!
:tt02:

FrancoLambert
04-16-2013, 05:24 PM
The word "ingrate" comes to mind.

The phrase "piece of :poop:" comes to mind as well.

He could have played one more year for us and for good money.

He would have retired as another beloved Steeler LB.

Now he hates us cause he and his agent F'd up big time.

Now he's an ingrate and a piece of :poop:

Steeldude
04-16-2013, 05:29 PM
I hope he ends up getting the deal with Cincy, because i'd hate to see his career end like this.

That would be bad news for the Steelers. Luckily, the Bengals don't run a 3-4 so it might not be too bad

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Pssst... actually, it's post # 106. :wink02:

sorry, that quote does not appear anywhere in post #106.

it does however appear in post #109...:wink02:

:drink:

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 07:32 PM
why's everybody always picking on me

Blueberry Hill

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
and if anyone's going to be giving me whip lashings I'd prefer it to be Lady Steel

why should Lady Steel reward you for bad posting?

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
why should Lady Steel reward you for bad posting?

He just wants 50 Shades of Grey whip lashings. :laughing:

SteelCurtain5643
04-17-2013, 05:10 PM
So Harrison apparently wants revenge on the Steelers? That makes zero sense at all, the Steelers were the only team who gave him a shot, who made him the player he is and he wants revenge? If thats true then fuck him.