PDA

View Full Version : Staley on trade blocks ......

Midnightwriter07
08-22-2006, 08:25 PM
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Duce Staley has been dangled in trade offers recently.

According to Shefter, Staley could be released if they don't find any suitors. Maybe the positive things Cowher has said publicly has been to raise his stock. Verron Haynes looks like the backup to Willie Parker, and should be upgraded.

***** no info givin on to whome he is being dangled to ****

nicesteel4life
08-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. At the game Saturday he looked so slow and rusty. I have been really amazed that Cowher has been saying he looks good....Might be a plan!

Midnightwriter07
08-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I was suprised as well reading that article about Cowher saying that because writers that have been to practices said that Staley didnt look so good as well. Plus , we all saw the scrimmages so i guess Cowher has been trying to put a good spin on it. I just wish they would have mentioned to whom Staley has been shopped to !!!

Stlrs4Life
08-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Duce being shopped?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9614245

Many happy returns for Staley and Eagles?

Adam Schefter

(Aug. 22, 2006) -- The last two weeks of the preseason are when games are played and, more importantly, rosters are refined.

There are always surprise cuts, unexpected trades and intriguing moves that allow teams to make their final transactions before the season kicks off.

This summer, one of the biggest could come out of Pittsburgh -- and wind up in Philadelphia.

In seven seasons with the Eagles, Duce Staley amassed 4,807 yards.
One NFL general manager said the Pittsburgh Steelers have been shopping running back Duce Staley, trying to see if any team would be willing to trade for him before the team would have to release him. It makes sense. Pittsburgh's backfield is chock full with Willie Parker entrenched as a starter, Verron Haynes as his backup, and running backs John Kuhn, Brandon Jones and Cedric Humes also vying for roster spots.

Pittsburgh's depth at the position makes it possible for it to deal Staley. Yet if Staley is sent packing from Pittsburgh either through a trade or a release, one possible landing spot would seem to be the Philadelphia Eagles who, to date, have not had any trade conversations with the Steelers.

Should Staley be released, and it is within the realm of possibility, the Eagles could be on the list of teams interested in his services.

In recent seasons, the Eagles have made a habit out of bringing back longtime contributors and fan favorites. They did it with defensive end Hugh Douglas and linebackers Jeremiah Trotter and Shawn Barber. Now they could wind up doing the same with Staley, who built his name and reputation in Philadelphia. The move would generate big cheers from Eagles fans and, even more significant, from its players.

The Eagles are in the market for a big back and, earlier this week, visited with free
agent Stephen Davis. No deal was reached there, but it doesn't mean the Eagles won't be looking for another bigger back that could help the team. The most logical fit would be Staley, who could wind up cut loose in Pittsburgh in the next two weeks.

Midnightwriter07
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
scratch Duckett, he just got traded to the skins

Stlrs4Life
08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Yep:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/0823duckett.html

Livinginthe past
08-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Staley is worth very little at this point...a 6th rounder?

He isn't worth getting rid of, the Steelers have invested money in him , they might aswell keep him on the depth chart.

NM

Prosdo
08-23-2006, 04:10 AM
I agree with LITP. I don't think we could get much for Staley. He has been injuried ALOT and hasn't proven himself after injury.

BlackNGold203
08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Staley is worth very little at this point...a 6th rounder?

He isn't worth getting rid of, the Steelers have invested money in him , they might aswell keep him on the depth chart.

NM

With Duckett off the market....I agree...I would be very surprised if Duce gets dealt or dropped...

Stlrs4Life
08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Even more interesting:
Adam Schefter reported on Total Access that the Steelers offered the Falcons a 4th round pick as late as Tuesday for Duckett.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Supposedly Ladell Betts is being shopped around... I would rather see him then Duce, besides they save some cap room by getting rid of him.

Prosdo
08-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Interesting about them offering the Falcons a 4th. With all the talk about Staley being shopped around and us trying to acquire Duckett it doesn't seem like their too confident in Duce.

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I dont think they are... And offering a 4th proves it but i am not sure why we just didnt offer Morgan and a 4th to get him, i wonder if they will now keep staley or continue to go after someone else. I read where the Steelers are not going to use a short yardage back or goal line back specifically so Parker will be the main man.

BigBen2WardPITT
08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Duce Staley has been dangled in trade offers recently.

According to Shefter, Staley could be released if they don't find any suitors. Maybe the positive things Cowher has said publicly has been to raise his stock. Verron Haynes looks like the backup to Willie Parker, and should be upgraded.

***** no info givin on to whome he is being dangled to ****

he probably wont go anywhere, whens the last time the steelers made a blockbuster deal or anything close to it?

id like them to, but i doubt anything happens.

clevestinks
08-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Trade? Most teams know that he will probably be cut, and will wait. His inability to stay healthy makes his worth, worthless!

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm very skeptical of all of these stories. I'm not believing anything until I hear it directly from the Steelers, though I don't count it out considering the amount of depth at the RB position.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Trade? Most teams know that he will probably be cut, and will wait. His inability to stay healthy makes his worth, worthless!

Some teams will mull over the possibility of picking up players before they are cut in order to insure that they can get them...after being cut its up to the player to accept the best offer or oppurtunity. A player may not want to go to a bad team and be a starter..or may not want to go to a good team and warm the pine.
If a team offers a draft pick or some sort of compensation before he leaves they can have more control of whether they get him or not.

Midnightwriter07
08-24-2006, 12:32 PM
well if the story just read that, Staley could be on tading blocks... then i would be skeptical as well. But it said that he has been dangled in trade offers recently which i tend to believe he probably has been. That means multipe teams have said the Steelers have approached them about it, not sure who the Steelers or what they are wanting for him, but i it sounds like on the surface that he will be cut. Maybe they are looking at Humes and him and figuring Humes is better at this point and will be using him more. Trying to get Staley on another tema so they dont have to cut him and at leastget something for him.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-24-2006, 02:59 PM
A Ferrari with an empty tank of gas may look good in the driveway but fatal if you need to go to the emergency room.

IMHO His career is over.

We have solid hungry young bucks with ears pinned back looking at the return man like a medium rare steak. That's who I want on the roster.

Elvis
08-24-2006, 06:30 PM
The Steelers would be miles ahead just releasing Staley... Its ashame too... he started off so strong for the Steelers a couple years ago and I really like what I saw, but he is No Longer that player.. I think that Haynes deserves more carries anyway.. and he is a better reciever than Parker or Staley..Besides.. what are you gonna get for Staley when there is news all around that we are just gonna release him anyway..
God Bless All
Elvis