PDA

View Full Version : Steelers match offer for sanders

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Would have liked the third round pick, but this guy will be important to us next year....

pczach
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
This surprises me a bit. I thought with the cap concerns they would have let him go. Let's hope he plays well this year. Then, if he does, he'll want a big fat contract at the end of this year. Kind of a head scratcher to me. If they think he's a good receiver that you want to have around for a while, they should have made him a better offer, maybe a 3 year deal. If he plays well, you will have to pay him much more to keep him around. this whole thing just feels a little strange.

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I would of liked grabbing robert woods in the second and using that extra pick in the third for swope. BTW has anybody seen the ryan swope harlem shake video....

http://youtu.be/5dgxnk7JEoE

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 06:35 PM
well, if nothing else that relieves a major concern going into the draft. I still think we need a physical reciever for over the middle and in the redzone. That will come in more handy in the redzone than Plax in my opinion.

Steel_Bus_24
04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Someone deserves to be strangled in that FO if he walks after this year like Wallace

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Someone deserves to be strangled in that FO if he walks after this year like Wallace

I'm right there with you on that one. I'm hoping with more opportunities this year, Sanders will be worth it.

gibster
04-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Profootball talk just reported it

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 06:46 PM

I do not know how we afford this guy after next year ......... All I can say is release IKE, Hampton, and Foote.

gibster
04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Vacarro or Jones. ? Now:tt:

Goldsteel86
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
I would of liked grabbing robert woods in the second and using that extra pick in the third for swope. BTW has anybody seen the ryan swope harlem shake video....

http://youtu.be/5dgxnk7JEoE

I would still like to see the Steelers go after Woods in the 2nd round.It's time for a truly legit #1 WR.

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 06:55 PM
HAHAHA you have to see this..... Prob what the FO feels like.

http://youtu.be/q5yOdkPRsCY

fer522
04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Steelers match offer for Emmanuel Sanders

Posted by Josh Alper on April 14, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT

The Steelers had a decision to make Sunday about whether or not to match the offer sheet wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed with the Patriots and they’ve made their call.

Jordan Woy, Sanders’ agent, sent out a tweet announcing that the Steelers have decided to match the offer rather than accept a third-round pick as compensation from New England. Sanders now stands to make $2.5 million in 2013 under the terms of the offer he accepted from New England.

The Steelers can now try to work on a longer deal with Sanders in order to lower that cap number and keep him in Pittsburgh for a few more years. If they don’t, Sanders will be on track to become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

The Patriots will now likely look to the draft to round out their receiving corps. They re-signed Julian Edelman to go with Danny Amendola, but their pursuit of Sanders makes it clear that they have more they’d like to do at the spot before the 2013 season gets underway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/steelers-match-offer-for-emmanuel-sanders/

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 07:01 PM
thanks, but there's already a thread. Sander's is the new Wallace in more ways than one!

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 07:05 PM
I do not know how we afford this guy after next year ......... All I can say is release IKE, Hampton, and Foote.

Hampton is already gone, not likely to resign. I would be surprised if this isn't Foote's last season, and possibly Polamalu or Clarks, but what do I know?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-14-2013, 07:29 PM
A long term deal better be made if not then it was a stupid move...

LayingTheWoodley56
04-14-2013, 07:36 PM
This move had to be made, and I was surprised to see how many Steeler fans thought that we should have taken the pick and let Sanders walk.

We can't let two young starters go in one offseason and replace them with two aging guys in Plax and Cotch. Those two are fine as third and fourth options but neither should be starting at this stage in his career.

Sanders has talent if he can stay healthy. Regardless of what happens after this season, the 2013 Steelers need him. And he would have been a stud in New England in that offense. Thumps up on the match, and let''s hope we can expect big things out of #88 this season.

Blacksburg Zach
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
thanks, but there's already a thread. Sander's is the new Wallace in more ways than one!

Does that mean there will be a new "Sanders sucks!" thread after every loss? :chuckle:

Fire Arians
04-14-2013, 07:39 PM
threads merged

pete74
04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
This move had to be made, and I was surprised to see how many Steeler fans thought that we should have taken the pick and let Sanders walk.

We can't let two young starters go in one offseason and replace them with two aging guys in Plax and Cotch. Those two are fine as third and fourth options but neither should be starting at this stage in his career.

Sanders has talent if he can stay healthy. Regardless of what happens after this season, the 2013 Steelers need him. And he would have been a stud in New England in that offense. Thumps up on the match, and let''s hope we can expect big things out of #88 this season.

Agreed. I was shocked that almost everyone here wanted him gone. Hell someone went as far as to say he was a locker room pain

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Ah, the voice of reason. As fans it was too much to think about what we could have gotten with a 3rd round pick. As for the Steelers, letting it go so long before matching could be a sign that they were having trouble deciding which way to go. Hope he stays healthy and produces for us.

Rabbit
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
You mean we get one fewer draft pick AND less cap space on an already cash-strapped team for a one year rental on someone who has already proven he'll abandon ship for more money? Wow, what a smart move!

Fire Haley
04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Ben Rules

ebsteelers
04-14-2013, 07:52 PM
they must have plans to sign him to a long term deal or have some tricks up their sleeve..

have faith in the front office ladies

ebsteelers
04-14-2013, 07:54 PM
round 1 jones
round 2 safety
round 3 bell
round 4 jones bama
roudn 5 sims
round 6 mauti
round 6 bpa
round 7 bpa

cowherpower
You mean we get one fewer draft pick AND less cap space on an already cash-strapped team for a one year rental on someone who has already proven he'll abandon ship for more money? Wow, what a smart move!

his salary would have doubled. I can't fault him for that. He goes to a better QB and team in his walk year. He was hoping to parlay that into a big long term contract. Now if the Steelers are high on him they should try locking him up long term for decent money rather than risk losing him if he has a good year. If they don't...then either they don't feel he is worth it or Sanders thinks too highly of himself.

harrison'samonster
Agreed. I was shocked that almost everyone here wanted him gone. Hell someone went as far as to say he was a locker room pain

I was definitely on the side of letting him go. It's not a good decision to have to make, let's be honest.

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Receivers with 1290 yards in 3 years are pretty easy to replace. This guy has been a non factor all hype player.

He better produce this year in spades or this a huge mistake.

NSMaster56
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Obviously this move only makes sense if the Steelers locked him up long term, but it will be pointless if Sanders doesn't produce on the field.

600 yards and 1 TD is not good enough for the defacto #2 WR.

Rabbit
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
The thing is, even if he DOES have a big year, we're in such a shitty cap situation we won't be able to afford him.

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Obviously this move only makes sense if the Steelers locked him up long term, but it will be pointless if Sanders doesn't produce on the field.

all true, but he'll see a lot more passes this year if he stays healthy

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:05 PM
So the real question is now, who else is getting cut?

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:07 PM
So the real question is now, who else is getting cut?

or are they going to rework Polamlu's contract and push dead money into the future? That would be another way to go. Or maybe they can't sign Bradshaw.

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Now that he knows there is interest in his average skills elsewhere, he will never sign long term with a cash strapped team like the Steelers.

The Steelers might have had a chance before the Pats showed interest. The Pats made a great move here even if they did not get Sanders.

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
or are they going to rework Polamlu's contract and push dead money into the future? That would be another way to go. Or maybe they can't sign Bradshaw.

I can't see them restructuring Polamalu. But I think you're right, we're now SOL for Bradshaw which tells me two things: one, we're definitely drafting a RB fairly high in the draft and two, they felt more comfortable with Manny Sanders' health issues over Bradshaw's health issues.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
The thing is, even if he DOES have a big year, we're in such a shitty cap situation we won't be able to afford him.

Are we really in a bad situation in 2 years?? Could likely have the salaries of Clark Keisel and Polamalu off the board. Plus any dead money from Colon, Harrison etc done.

I agree that if they just signed him for 1 season, its a waste. If they lock him up longer, then we are working on having the smallest WR corps in the NFL with Brown and Sanders. I thought Ben likes a big target to throw to? :doh:

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Are we really in a bad situation in 2 years?? Could likely have the salaries of Clark Keisel and Polamalu off the board. Plus any dead money from Colon, Harrison etc done.

I agree that if they just signed him for 1 season, its a waste. If they lock him up longer, then we are working on having the smallest WR corps in the NFL with Brown and Sanders. I thought Ben likes a big target to throw to? :doh:

and possibly Foote gone, if we get lucky drafting an ILB this year. Still a longshot, but that would free up a little bit of money

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Does anyone else think there's a possibility they matched it because they already have a long term deal framework worked out with his agent? I can't see Colbert giving away a third round pick for only one season if he didn't already have some kind of framework in place or he thinks there's a good chance a long term deal gets worked out.

This could be good news for multiple reasons.

harrison'samonster
04-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Does anyone else think there's a possibility they matched it because they already have a long term deal framework worked out with his agent? I can't see Colbert giving away a third round pick for only one season if he didn't already have some kind of framework in place or he thinks there's a good chance a long term deal gets worked out.

possible. But if he wants more money than Brown I hope he earns it.

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
possible. But if he wants more money than Brown I hope he earns it.

If he plays up to his potential I think he can and will earn that kind of money. We're looking at the possibility of a lot of veteran guys leaving next offseason which would open the door for him to be signed to a similar deal that AB was signed to.

Earn your money, Manny! :thumbsup:

steeltheone
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM

I just can't believe he would sign with a cash strapped team knowing he could possibly cash in much bigger somewhere else next year?

I guess only the FO know's the plan.

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I just can't believe he would sign with a cash strapped team knowing he could possibly cash in much bigger somewhere else next year?

I guess only the FO know's the plan.

I think if he comes out and has a career year under Haley's offense, similar to what AB did in 2011, he's going to get resigned. It won't be for Mike Wallace type money, but look for a 5 year / 42 - 45 million dollar deal for him to stay with the Steelers.

This is assuming they don't already have a long term deal in the works with him right now which is something I would find hard to believe. There could be a slew of veterans gone next offseason which would open the door to Manny being resigned.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
If he plays up to his potential I think he can and will earn that kind of money. We're looking at the possibility of a lot of veteran guys leaving next offseason which would open the door for him to be signed to a similar deal that AB was signed to.

Earn your money, Manny! :thumbsup:

But I still dont see the logic in locking up 2 WR's long term that are 5'10" and 5'11" tall. Going to devote a large part of the salary cap to WR's that cant outfight CB's for footballs and are not red zone targets??

I could see having 1 smurf on the team and another like Gilreath in the slot at a low salary, but 2? :noidea:

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
But I still dont see the logic in locking up 2 WR's long term that are 5'10" and 5'11" tall. Going to devote a large part of the salary cap to WR's that cant outfight CB's for footballs and are not red zone targets??

I could see having 1 smurf on the team and another like Gilreath in the slot at a low salary, but 2? :noidea:

This is fair. I think they're going to address a true RZT in the draft though.

I think AB and Manny don't need to be 6'0 + because they both have that insane one-cut ability to shake defenders and get open. They're both good (AB is great) route runners and can get separation with their speed and cut ability.

Look for them to get someone like Marcus Davis and/or Rodney Smith who are 6'3 and 6'5, respectively, late in the draft.

I don't think they have to be bigger guys that have to use their size to get separation. But I can see your point.

Rabbit
04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
5'10 and 5'11 are pretty average height for WRs. Especially in today's NFL.

Steelers5895
04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Would have rather had the pick. If he can stay healthy and they can sign him long term then it's acceptable

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
This is fair. I think they're going to address a true RZT in the draft though.

I think AB and Manny don't need to be 6'0 + because they both have that insane one-cut ability to shake defenders and get open. They're both good (AB is great) route runners and can get separation with their speed and cut ability.

Look for them to get someone like Marcus Davis and/or Rodney Smith who are 6'3 and 6'5, respectively, late in the draft.

I don't think they have to be bigger guys that have to use their size to get separation. But I can see your point.

I agree, but I think they are both the same type of guy as players. Guys that work the slot or slant routes, not going to stretch the field vertically or outfight a CB for the football.

5'10 and 5'11 are pretty average height for WRs. Especially in today's NFL.

Yeah, for slot receivers. Its not just the height, its the size of the guys. Name some of the top WR's that play outside in the NFL. Megatron, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, , AJ Green, Hakeem Nicks, Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Marques Colston, Demarius Thomas, etc............Sanders and Brown are both small guys with smaller catch radius than all of those guys.

I know, everybody is gonna say Victory Cruz, Wes Welker, Desean Jackson and T.Y Hilton.....but lets be serious. Everybody in the NFL wants those bigger WR's that can compete physically with CB's.

austinfrench76
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Agree with anyone who says this is a head scratcher unless he's in their long term plan. They must have plans for him. This allows them to take a WR in the later rounds now because that person won't need to start but it still feels off. Damn, that 3rd rounder would have been nice this year in a deep draft.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Aaron Dobson 4th rd
Marcus Davis 5th rd
Jasper Collins 6th rd

one of these 3 Wrs would be a good late round pick up.

Dobson & Collins are going to be steals

ETL
04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Agree with anyone who says this is a head scratcher unless he's in their long term plan. They must have plans for him. This allows them to take a WR in the later rounds now because that person won't need to start but it still feels off. Damn, that 3rd rounder would have been nice this year in a deep draft.

Maybe this is a move to not let the Pats have a good player. If the Bills made this same offer - maybe the Steelers don't match because the Bills are not projected to be ahead of us in the playoff race.

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
round 1 jones
round 2 safety
round 3 bell
round 4 jones bama
roudn 5 sims
round 6 mauti
round 6 bpa
round 7 bpa

At least this guy has his head on straight everybody wants to draft a safety in the first round. We can get a safety talent in third or fourth we need somebody who can get and supply pass pressure now you Dbags! Not a back up..

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
If we do not take a WR by round 2 please draft swope in the third. Please, Please do not pass on this guy he has speed like wallace and better hands.

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
At least this guy has his head on straight everybody wants to draft a safety in the first round. We can get a safety talent in third or fourth we need somebody who can get and supply pass pressure now you Dbags! Not a back up..

Kenny Vaccaro is one of the best cover Safety prospects coming out of college we've seen in a long, long time. Taking him in the first round would be right up there with stealing DeCastro.

While I agree that OLB is a need, beyond Mingo, Jordan and Ansah, the other guys up there are questionable. Jones has his own series of issues and Tank Carradine - the other 'beast' - tore his ACL last year.

But, most importantly, there's more depth and possible hidden gems at pass rusher this year than there are at Safety. Okafor, Collins, S. Moore, D. Moore, etc. can all be found in the second round. If we take someone like Vaccaro in the first round we can take Okafor in the second. Problem, meet solution.

Relax.

NSMaster56
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Yes.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/yearly/

Unless Ben, Timmons, Woodley and Brown all restructured, the cap relief from the losses of Clark, Keisel, etc. will be negated by their increase in salary.

NSMaster56
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Maybe this is a move to not let the Pats have a good player.

If that is/was the case that's just silly.

The Steelers shouldn't screw themselves by retaining a player for one year to spite another team.

They should be making moves that are best for them.

We'll see what happens, I guess...

OliverPoop
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
If we do not take a WR by round 2 please draft swope in the third. Please, Please do not pass on this guy he has speed like wallace and better hands.

We don't draft white WR's. I predict NE will find a way to get him.

steelbelieve
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM

So, Plex is considered a large target whom Ben favors??

Wallace17
04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
We will draft a safety but not in round one if jordan , ansah, mingo, or hopefully jones is there we will take them. Somebody needs to replace foote now. Even Mike mauti would step up. Depth is a issue at safety but we need somebody to step in right now for pressure. We need takeaways and turn overs.

kan_t
04-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Don't see why they do it unless they are confident to keep him more than 1 year.

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Don't see why they do it unless they are confident to keep him more than 1 year.

at least Ben is happy...

Steel_Bus_24
04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
at least Ben is happy...

Hawaii you still think we have a shot at Bell in the 3rd?..... I think if we want him its going to have to be more like the 2nd

SteelCurtain5643
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Glad hes staying, fuck New England

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Hawaii you still think we have a shot at Bell in the 3rd?..... I think if we want him its going to have to be more like the 2nd

our 3rd round pick is the 79th overall selection, Walter Football has Bell going 90th overall to Denver in his latest mock draft.

3(90) Denver Broncos: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/broncosb_logo.gif

John Fox is not shy about using early selections on running backs. He needs one. Willis McGahee is old, Knowshon Moreno can't be trusted, and Ronnie Hillman's just a chance-of-pace back.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_3.php

Steel_Bus_24
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I ask because I think it''ll come down to either picking a Wr or HB in the 2nd...and Im not sure which way they go

Hawaii 5-0
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I ask because I think it''ll come down to either picking a Wr or HB in the 2nd...and Im not sure which way they go

we may not choose a WR that high now that we have decided to keep Sanders.

and don't rule out an ILB, OLB, FS or a SS along with RB in Round 2.

Bane
04-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Not gonna lie, this agitates me a bit. Could have freed up some money, plus gotten an extra third-rounder at the cost of a receiver who has proven little more than that he might do better in the future.

I certainly hope they're gonna lock Sanders up long-term at a low cost before he explodes and disappears next year. If this is Ben's doing, like the whole Max Starks debacle, I'm gonna be pissed.

This just reeked of a game the Patriots were trying to play and the Steelers let them win. I hope I'm proven wrong. I usually am, but in the meantime, I'll be a dick about it.

sloppyjoe
04-15-2013, 12:32 AM

wallass didnt want to be a steeler and i have a bad felling sanders will follow in his footsteps. sanders saw how it worked out for wallass, so either he will dog it all season, tear it up and demand huge FA money or we will have to overpay for a medicore wr this offseason on a long term deal.
this move sucks!

desertsteel
04-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Clearly the FO should have checked this board before matching the offer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2013, 01:47 AM
[

So, Plex is considered a large target whom Ben favors??

Yes, if you recall after Plaxico left in free agency, there was a lot of talk that Ben likes throwing to bigger targets and neither Cedric Wilson, Hines Ward or Randle El were that tall.

That is, if you were a Steeler fan back in 2007-2008.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ward-blindsided-by-big-bens-comments-377538/#ixzz2QVZofs00

PATS16N0
04-15-2013, 02:47 AM
So basically Belichick made you pay twice as much for your own player.

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 02:56 AM

I'll just add that to the other million reasons why I can't stand that asshole...

http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/bill_belichick.jpg

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 03:03 AM
people keep saying 3rd round pick, but coming from the patriots, it's more like a 4th rounder, they pick like 3rd to last?

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 03:05 AM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003307233/432123477_WaitYoumadbro_xlarge.jpeg

Rabbit
04-15-2013, 03:40 AM
people keep saying 3rd round pick, but coming from the patriots, it's more like a 4th rounder, they pick like 3rd to last?

No, it's a third rounder because it's in the third round.

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 04:01 AM
No, it's a third rounder because it's in the third round.

third rounder that is almost the very last pick of that round. so you're implying that having the #1 pick in the draft is equally as good as having the #30 pick since they're in the same round?

pczach
04-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Big Ben gets blamed for keeping Sanders? How does a QB that has overrated receivers to begin with, lose his #1 receiver and have his #3 receiver lined up to go somewhere else NOT say anything to ANYBODY that will listen to him in the organization? They already spend most of their money on defense the way it is. I wanted to let Sanders go and take the pick, but Ben can't be blamed for wanting to keep somebody he's thrown the ball to before.

This guy can't win with the public relations stuff.:noidea:

Millers the sh!t
04-15-2013, 06:44 AM
third rounder that is almost the very last pick of that round. so you're implying that having the #1 pick in the draft is equally as good as having the #30 pick since they're in the same round?

So, is the first pick Of the draft is in round zero? You know, seeing how it's so close to round zero? Basically.... Right?

Millers the sh!t
04-15-2013, 06:48 AM

No, he's implying that the third round pick is still a third round pick because it was picked in the third round. Wait and see, when the patriots choose their player in the third round, itwill say the players name, then say the overall pick number then say third round. Not fourth round or basically fourth round. I'll bet u....

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-15-2013, 07:40 AM
No, he's implying that the third round pick is still a third round pick because it was picked in the third round. Wait and see, when the patriots choose their player in the third round, itwill say the players name, then say the overall pick number then say third round. Not fourth round or basically fourth round. I'll bet u....

He's more so talking about the value of the pick.

Terminator
04-15-2013, 07:51 AM
He isn't worth the money. I would have much rather taken a 3rd round pick.

Fire Haley
04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
he's back - drama's over

Ben has his slot receiver on a 1 year rental plan, so at least he's happy.

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Peter King thinks the Steelers had to bring Sanders back at $2.5 million

I think someone's going to have to tell me, if the Patriots really wanted Emmanuel Sanders in restricted free agency, why they signed him to a one-year, $2.5 million contract. That's like saying, "Well, we sort of want him, but we're really not sure, and we'll give him a D-minus deal, and maybe Pittsburgh will just take the third-round pick in return." I don't get the gesture. At all.

I think for those questioning the Steelers matching the offer and forgoing a third-round pick and paying $2.5 million for a potential starting receiver for one year on a playoff contender ... I mean, really. Why wouldn't they match? Unless they were rich at the position and thought they could get by without a marginal starting player making marginal starter's money?

Sanders had 44 catches for a team-high 14.2 yards per catch. He'll likely start alongside Antonio Brown. Folks, that's worth $2.5 million, a starting wide receiver on a team that's going to send the quarterback back to pass 575 times.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130415/mock-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

casteeler
04-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Good,the Steelers should be able to focus on the RB position in the draft now..... Maybe:wink02:

PatsFan2003
04-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh well. Would have been nice but as has been said, if the Pats wanted him that badly they could have paid more.

Fire Haley
04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
if the Pats wanted him that badly they could have paid more.

not true - the amount offered was the tender the Steelers placed on him, that doesn't change

sour grapes?

wootawnee
04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Emanuel Sanders has potential if he unlocks it..... He has to wanna be better and train and learn......Take after Jerry Rice Sanders, you need to mature into a man a little.......You can always keep that kid inside.....Step up to the bigs buddy....Congrats for being back.....

I'm excited bout our receivers now.....

Manny
A.B.
Plax
Cotch
Heath

IMO we need to use Cotch's clutch hands more often.....Im Stoked.....Our line is gonna be tough.....I cant wait to see how our D-line pans out.....Im feelin the young guys are gonna kill it this year......

I bet we go Backer/CB in the first two rounds,either order....... RB, if the one we want is there, trumps it though, I'll bet.........

Our stock just went way up in my book.....

ebsteelers
04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003307233/432123477_WaitYoumadbro_xlarge.jpeg

o he is jelly alright

Fire Haley
04-15-2013, 09:40 AM
We can still go after any WR we want in the draft - now we have an insurance policy - that's how I see it.

Keep Ben happy - get another hot #1 and keep Sanders in the slot

SteelersCanada
04-15-2013, 09:47 AM

You used to post constructively here. What happened?

tony hipchest
04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Peter King thinks the Steelers had to bring Sanders back at $2.5 million

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130415/mock-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

i agree w/ king. its great to have manny back. him and brown are like peas and carrots.

Bane
04-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Considering this is the front office that put up, over the years, twice as many Super Bowls as yours, I'd say they know what they're doing, no matter much we dislike the move.

Oh, and who could forget that we don't need an asterisk next to any of our titles?

jacobo
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
twice as much lol. yeah, that extra 1.25 mil is really going to hurt our chances of our FO going after nobody

what else were we going to use that money for? the draft will fill the rest of our needs

SteelersCanada
04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
They're doing the same thing on PatsFans.com. It's twofold: they're rationalizing losing Manny Sanders which of course was the Patriots plan all along - they just wanted the Steelers to lose another 1.25 million in cap space! Ha! Your move, Tomlin!

This is why people don't like Patriots fans.

Bane
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
They're doing the same thing on PatsFans.com. It's twofold: they're rationalizing losing Manny Sanders which of course was the Patriots plan all along - they just wanted the Steelers to lose another 1.25 million in cap space! Ha! Your move, Tomlin!

Don't forget that people also hate Patriots fans because they know that as soon as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick go, so will all of the fans.

fansince'76
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Bingo. According to them, that organization hasn't made a single misstep since Pete Carroll. It's gotten tiresome, to say the least. And what's doubly annoying is the very sizable percentage of our own fanbase that buys into their bullshit "mystique."

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Don't forget that people also hate Patriots fans because they know that as soon as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick go, so will all of the fans.

I hope Belichek sticks around when Brady is done. He will suck like he did with the Browns and all will see that he can put together a good defense, but lived off the talents of Brady.

Without Tom Brady and a videocamera, Belichek is just a grumpy Barry Switzer.

fansince'76
04-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Just for you. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=1102324#post1102324)

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
surprised how much sanders hate is here, we will be fine at WR

austinfrench76
04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't hate Sanders I hate the situation and the fact that now his agent is running off at the mouth about having mutilple offers yada yada yada.

Bane
More good news.

Steelers may struggle to get Emmanuel Sanders to sign long-term
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 15, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

Emmanuel Sanders will remain a Steeler for another season after Pittsburgh matched New England’s one-year, $2.5 million offer. But if the Steelers lose Sanders a year from now, they’ll regret passing on the Patriots’ third-round pick. And Sanders’ agent is talking like a man who wants to test free agency 11 months from now.

Agent Jordan Woy told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers are going to have to make Sanders a very lucrative offer if they’re going to lock him up for the long term before he gets a chance to test the market in 2014.

“We are also open to him playing the year out. It would have to be a very good deal for us to sign a multi-year agreement,” Woy said.

Woy sounds like he believes there will be multiple teams eager to offer Sanders a contract in free agency next year, in part because, he says, the Patriots weren’t the only team to make Sanders an offer this year.

“We had several teams make offers in free agency so we know there are teams who really like Emmanuel,” Woy said.

The Steelers really like Emmanuel, too — enough that they turned down a chance to get a third-round draft pick for him. But that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to afford the kind of contract that Sanders will command next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/15/steelers-may-struggle-to-get-emmanuel-sanders-to-sign-long-term/

El-Gonzo Jackson
surprised how much sanders hate is here, we will be fine at WR

Its not "hate" from me. Its confusion as to why we are stockpiling small slot receivers. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Gilreath... :noidea:

Burress is the only WR on the team that Ben can see if he looks over the O line..........the rest of the WR's arent even tall enough to do all the rides at 6- Flags. :doh:

LVSteelersfan
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Sanders better stay healthy if he is really the #2. Otherwise it will have to be Plax or Cotchery in that position. Unless they draft someone good. But rookie WRs are flaky at best. Very few are great in their first year. So I think this was an ok move. Not great. But ok.

SH-Rock
04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I hope Belichek sticks around when Brady is done. He will suck like he did with the Browns and all will see that he can put together a good defense, but lived off the talents of Brady.

Well to Belichek's and everyone else's credit, who doesn't stink with the Browns.

fansince'76
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Agent Jordan Woy told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers are going to have to make Sanders a very lucrative offer if they’re going to lock him up for the long term before he gets a chance to test the market in 2014.

Yeah, never mind the fact that he still has plenty to prove himself, or anything like that...

PatsFan2003
04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Bingo. According to them, that organization hasn't made a single misstep since Pete Carroll. It's gotten tiresome, to say the least. And what's doubly annoying is the very sizable percentage of our own fanbase that buys into their bullshit "mystique."

To be fair that's probably Patriots fans when they talk with fans with other teams. Amongst themselves they criticize Belichicks GM skills on many occasions. The fact that they tried to sign Sanders in the 1st place is confirmation for many Patriots fans that the Patriots stink at drafting and developing WRs. As opposed to Offensive linemen where it doesn't seem to matter who they draft., they become productive.

I would have liked Sanders and if the Pats had made it a 3 million dollar offer I would been fine with it.

The regular season schedule isn't out yet, so unless the Pats play the Steelers there's no reason to hang around too much longer. Untill then I hope the Steelers are particularly bad this year...:wave:

kan_t
04-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Like 2008?

I may be the minority here. I don't really care the Spygate. Last time I checked their titles still counted. No team, including the Steelers, is clean IMO.

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 01:49 PM
The regular season schedule isn't out yet, so unless the Pats play the Steelers there's no reason to hang around too much longer. Untill then I hope the Steelers are particularly bad this year...:wave:

Schedule is not out but the teams on the schedule are known

Steelers play at Patriots - feel free to stay away until at least the week of that game

Home: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Titans, Bears, Lions
Away: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Patriots, Jets, Raiders, Packers, Vikings

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21478776/nfl-announces-2013-regularseason-opponents

cowherpower
04-15-2013, 01:56 PM
To be fair that's probably Patriots fans when they talk with fans with other teams. Amongst themselves they criticize Belichicks GM skills on many occasions. The fact that they tried to sign Sanders in the 1st place is confirmation for many Patriots fans that the Patriots stink at drafting and developing WRs. As opposed to Offensive linemen where it doesn't seem to matter who they draft., they become productive.

I would have liked Sanders and if the Pats had made it a 3 million dollar offer I would been fine with it.

I think their O line picks pan out because Brady can control a D because of his footwork in the pocket, the threat with his arm, and his smarts i.e. audible, identifying matchups. Finding a WR who is selfless and a true team player is a lot harder to find as for the most part they are me first primadonnas. Sanders is better than the 91st player taken in the draft. He knows the offense, he could be coming into his own this year. We just couldn't afford to lose another WR. I get why they kept him. I think the Pats just forced us to use more cap and knew all along they weren't getting him. But forcing that on us helps them as well. Even though we won't be that competitive the Pats do stuff like that all the time to lesser teams. Especially the Dolphins who even though they are in the same division, never seem to compete

AgentGold007
04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Well, we will be drafting another wide receiver next year when we can't afford to re-sign Manny.

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Sunday, April 14, 2013

Steelers match offer for Sanders. What does it mean

The Steelers on Sunday matched New England's offer sheet for wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

The move holds several meanings for the Steelers over the coming weeks.

First, wide receiver becomes less of a pressing need for the team heading into the draft later this month - at least in the short term.

The guess here is that now that Pittsburgh has kept Sanders, it will attempt to sign him to a long-term deal that will keep him past the 2013 season.

They dealt with Mike Wallace as a lame duck starter in 2012 at wideout and likely won't want to put themselves in a similar situation with Sanders. The two sides will have to come to an agreement that will pay Sanders starter money - not star money - but I look for that deal to get done.

Sanders' new contract also eats up an additional $1.2 million of salary cap space, leaving the Steelers just over $700,000 under the cap.

They will clear an additional $5.5 million once guard Willie Colon's release hits the books on June 1, but with so little cap space now, the Steelers appear to be out of the market for free agent running back Ahmad Bradshaw - unless he goes into the summer unsigned.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/04/steelers-match-offer-for-sanders-what.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FpROmMH+%28NFL+from +the+sidelines%29

TheVet
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
They dealt with Mike Wallace as a lame duck starter in 2012 at wideout and likely won't want to put themselves in a similar situation with Sanders. The two sides will have to come to an agreement that will pay Sanders starter money - not star money - but I look for that deal to get done.
One interesting difference between the Wallace and Sanders situations: Whereas Wallace had enough prior achievements to ride out a bad year and bad attitude, Sanders really does need to have a breakout year if he wants the big payday. So even if we don't come to a deal with Sanders, at least we should have the benefit of a motivated player for the coming season.

I'm not optimistic about signing Sanders to a long-term deal, and I'm not even sure that I want to be optimistic. Lately we often seem to be in these situations - players with three years gone, and we still don't know what we have. These are gambling situations, damned if we do and damned if we don't. Some of it is due to poor drafting, and some is just plain old bad luck with injuries/situations (as for Sanders). We need to draft better, and we also need to get on a hot run.

NSMaster56
04-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Considering this is the front office that put up, over the years, twice as many Super Bowls as yours, I'd say they know what they're doing, no matter much we dislike the move.

Oh, and who could forget that we don't need an asterisk next to any of our titles?

Yeah, because the 70's Steelers didn't use PEDs or any other substances. *rolls eyes*

PATS16N0
04-16-2013, 02:35 AM
You used to post constructively here. What happened?

It's the off season :noidea:

But it's still true. Nice move by Belichick.

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 03:07 AM
It's the off season :noidea:

But it's still true. Nice move by Belichick.

you really think this move was worth all the time and effort that was put in by everyone in New England? you got absolutely nothing in return for all of that time spent except making us pay slightly more for retaining Emmanuel Sanders and that was probably offset by the fact that matching your offer made our franchise QB very happy...

Rabbit
04-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Yeah, because the 70's Steelers didn't use PEDs or any other substances. *rolls eyes*

You mean back in an era where steroids ran rampant among every team and weren't a banned substance?

pczach
04-16-2013, 06:20 AM
You mean back in an era where steroids ran rampant among every team and weren't a banned substance?

Yes, that's exactly what he means.:chuckle:

NSMaster56
04-16-2013, 07:27 PM

This is the same logic Pats fans use to defend spygate ('everyone did it').

It doesn't make it 'right'.

And realy, who cares?

Other fans complain about Pittsburgh 'headhunting' or SB XL in the same way people give the Pats crap about Spygate. It's all relative.

Steelers fans are just butthurt that the Pats beat them TWICE, but that doesn't really matter because the Steelers still got two more titles and are still Numero Uno.

Hopefully title #7 will go through Belichick and his boys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2013, 09:42 PM
This is the same logic Pats fans use to defend spygate ('everyone did it').

It doesn't make it 'right'.

And realy, who cares?

Other fans complain about Pittsburgh 'headhunting' or SB XL in the same way people give the Pats crap about Spygate. It's all relative.

Steelers fans are just butthurt that the Pats beat them TWICE, but that doesn't really matter because the Steelers still got two more titles and are still Numero Uno.

Hopefully title #7 will go through Belichick and his boys.

So by this logic, Lance Armstrong is still a great cyclist and not a "cheater". :doh:

If you cant win, then try cheating. :tt: Its what this country was built on I guess.:noidea:

FrancoLambert
04-17-2013, 05:35 PM
i agree w/ king. its great to have manny back. him and brown are like peas and carrots.

I thought Forrest and Jenny were like peas and carrots? :wink02:

Maybe they could be WR's too. Forrest did have speed. :chuckle: