PDA

View Full Version : Sanders' agent: "It will take lucrative offer to keep him off open market next year"

Rabbit
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
No long term deal in place

Ben's cap hit goes up 4.4m next year
Woodley's goes up 4.5m
Timmons' goes up 6m
Brown's goes up 5.4m

I hope you guys are ready for the final dying breaths of a team that refuses to reload.

Grav
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
As i thought, walks away for nothing next year, this Sanders move is a very poor move by the FO in my opinion.

Bane
04-15-2013, 02:06 PM
This offseason is hurting my brain. I kind of want to stick it in a blender at this point.

Again, I'm holding out hope because every time I'm pissed of during the offseason, we tear the field up during the following season. But this offseason has me scratching my head more than any other recent season that I can remember.

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
As i thought, walks away for nothing next year, this Sanders move is a very poor move by the FO in my opinion.

But it is not as if a #3 pick was any guarantee of a starter - problem is more with a string of mediocre drafts that have not provided top flight starters rather than losing existing starters - if Colbert & Tomlin had been on a roll in the last several drafts IMO they would be more likely to have told Sanders see ya

Steelers cannot decide whether to blow the team up or keep it together for yet another year, so it is the worst of both worlds where they make halfway offers (Harrison/Sanders) rather than either just say goodbye or make a full out push to get a new contract done

Bringing Sanders back for one year with no indication it will be for more than that is a symptom of that indecision

Vis
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
What else would an agent say? This indicates nothing about an extension before the season.

Vis
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
But it is not as if a #3 pick was any guarantee of a starter - problem is more with a string of mediocre drafts that have not provided top flight starters rather than losing existing starters - if Colbert & Tomlin had been on a roll in the last several drafts IMO they would be more likely to have told Sanders see ya

Steelers cannot decide whether to blow the team up or keep it together for yet another year, so it is the worst of both worlds where they make halfway offers (Harrison/Sanders) rather than either just say goodbye or make a full out push to get a new contract done

Bringing Sanders back for one year with no indication it will be for more than that is a symptom of that indecision

When have the Steelers ever blown up the team?

BowCatShot
04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
"When have the Steelers ever blown up the team? "

Coach Buddy Parker once fired the whole team. That was long ago.

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Agent: Sanders may opt to play out year with Steelers then sign elsewhere

April 15, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The New England Patriots weren't the only ones to offer Emmanuel Sanders a contract in free agency, and the Steelers might not be able to keep the wide receiver beyond the 2013 season.

"We had several teams make offers in free agency so we know there are teams who really like Emmanuel," Jordan Woy, Sanders' agent, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today.

Sanders signed a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet as a restricted free agent from the Patriots that the Steelers matched on Sunday. Had they not matched, they would have received New England's third-round draft choice in return.

Unless the Steelers sign Sanders to a long-term contract, he will become an unrestricted free agent next March, free to sign elsewhere with no compensation going back to the Steelers.

While Woy said "we are open to discussing" a multi-year contract, he added that, "We are also open to him playing the year out.

"It would have to be a very good deal for us to sign a multi-year agreement," Woy said.

Last year, Mike Wallace turned down every Steelers offer as a restricted free agent, played out the season and then signed a five-year, $60 million contract last month as an unrestricted free agent with Miami. When it became obvious the Steelers could not sign him, they turned to fellow receiver Antonio Brown and signed him to a six-year, $43 million contract in the early days of training camp in August.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/agent-sanders-may-opt-to-play-year-out-with-steelers-then-sign-elsewhere-683565/#ixzz2QYAqZOFi

ETL
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I think us fans are reading too much into this move.

I think the FO matched this offer because they simply felt that this year's team would be hurt too much by Sanders absence and $2.5 mil (actually ~$1.7 mil after subtracting the cost of the player that would be needed to replace him) was not too high a cost. That's it. No need to sink millions of cap dollars in the future just to justify keeping Sanders. We just need him this year and if he's playing for a contract - well all the better.

Personally, I would have taken the draft pick but I trust this FO

Rabbit
04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Eventually blind trust has to wear off after a while.

sloppyjoe
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
like i predicted, here comes wallass 2.0

Bayz101
04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
The pressure is on, and an agent will do EVERYTHING in his power to make that known to his clients front office. Nothing new here.

xbroughneck
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
An undersized slot receiver with questionable durability and hands.

OK. Guess it's better than gambling on a 3rd round pick.

Oh wait...he's a 3rd round pick.

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 03:31 PM
When have the Steelers ever blown up the team?

In the free agent era they rarely have faced that decision since they have been extraordinarily successful since Cowher arrived in 1992 - but the series of mediocre drafts starting in 2008 may require a new approach

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
like i predicted, here comes wallass 2.0

That approach worked for Wallace 1.0 - of course Wallace's speed caused teams to ignore his shortcomings as a WR

desertsteel
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I hope you guys are ready for the final dying breaths of a team that refuses to reload.
I've thought all your posts were pretty smart ones... right up until this one :)

desertsteel
04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Eventually blind trust has to wear off after a while.

Mine wears off during the season, not in the off-season while playing armchair GM.

SteelersCanada
04-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Let's all panic for next offseason when this years draft isn't here yet! That makes sense.

TheVet
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
It's not that we refused to reload; it's just that we've generally been misfiring on our drafts during the last five years or so, and the usual attempt to reload isn't going to work. That's why we're in a rebuilding situation. It happens, even to the best.

Rabbit
04-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I've thought all your posts were pretty smart ones... right up until this one :)

My exaggerated pessism will wear off eventually.

Vis
04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
In the free agent era they rarely have faced that decision since they have been extraordinarily successful since Cowher arrived in 1992 - but the series of mediocre drafts starting in 2008 may require a new approach

And that approach would be what? Dump a known young guy for an unknown draft pick? Dump all the old guys so we are the youngest in the league on average during Ben's final years? Dump Ben? What are you advocating specifically other than to not draft people who can get a freak knee injury?

FrancoLambert
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Resigning Sanders was a desperate but necessary move.

Losing him would have created too much of a need at WR and a big kink in our draft plans.

If he has a good season and we lose him, it speaks volumes to the job Colbert is doing.

OX1947
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Drafts have been fine. It's the development of players that has been an issue.

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Resigning Sanders was a desperate but necessary move.

Losing him would have created too much of a need at WR and a big kink in our draft plans.

If he has a good season and we lose him, it speaks volumes to the job Colbert is doing.

agree 1000%. sanders isn't a world beater, but losing him would create a glaring need to address a WR that could start this year, forcing our hand to pick a wr at rd. 1 or 2, not with our 'extra' pick.

this move creates more draft flexibility even with 1 less pick.

Atlanta Dan
04-15-2013, 05:39 PM
And that approach would be what? Dump a known young guy for an unknown draft pick? Dump all the old guys so we are the youngest in the league on average during Ben's final years? Dump Ben? What are you advocating specifically other than to not draft people who can get a freak knee injury?

At some point you cut your losses - unlike the Jax Jags of the world you are not worried about having your attendance crash with a few down years

The idea any team can stay on top indefinitely is not how the system works - kicking the can down the road on renegotiating salaries for aging vets runs out eventually - the longer the delay the worse the fall

I favor the Elway model - after initial success some lean years followed by the franchise QB going out in glory

Vis
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
At some point you cut your losses - unlike the Jax Jags of the world you are not worried about having your attendance crash with a few down years

The idea any team can stay on top indefinitely is not how the system works - kicking the can down the road on renegotiating salaries for aging vets runs out eventually - the longer the delay the worse the fall

I favor the Elway model - after initial success some lean years followed by the franchise QB going out in glory

I'm looking for the proposal. We all want the results of a return to the SB. What do you want them to actually do to get there?

Steeldude
04-15-2013, 07:25 PM
No long term deal in place

Ben's cap hit goes up 4.4m next year
Woodley's goes up 4.5m
Timmons' goes up 6m
Brown's goes up 5.4m

They should cut Woodley. It's the worst contract since Kordell.

I don't care if Sanders leaves next year.

Steel_Bus_24
04-15-2013, 07:34 PM
My confidence in the Steelers FO has taken a hit ever since they stupidly thought that that wet paper bag Jonathan Scott could be a starting LT.

Im seeing too much of our young/developed talent walking for my taste.

TRH
04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Sanders (and his agent) act like he's some elite-level receiver or something. Sanders seems to do more in the media than he does on the field.
I'm on the side that the Steelers goofed this time.

NSMaster56
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Great... *sigh*

tanda10506
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Waste of money this year. I imagine we will get a half assed effort like we did from Wallace last year. Should have let him walk, what was the idea behind keeping him if the FO knew this?

Fire Arians
04-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Waste of money this year. I imagine we will get a half assed effort like we did from Wallace last year. Should have let him walk, what was the idea behind keeping him if the FO knew this?

after getting his biggest payday to date? unlikely. there won't be a repeat of that wallace situation, i'd be surprised.

defence
04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
This was an absolute horrible move by the Steelers fo. Sanders and his agent have no plans on signing any bargain contract the team will throw at him this year. We had a 3rd for this guy; and they let it slip away in a year where they should be stock piling picks to fill the MANY MANY needs they have. I have no faith in the way this team is being directed. We are in the rear view mirrors of many front running teams including the Ravens and Bengals and the reason is the mismanagement. Poor drafting. Not knowing when to cut ties with over paid and old players. Heck; with all the money mismanagement; they can't even keep the young ones.. Back in the Cowher days; they just seemed to know when it was time to say goodbye. A lot of mess here for someone to clean up.

cloppbeast
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
They haven't even played a game yet, so lets just see what happens folks. After one 8-8 srason, surprising to see so many of you abandoning ship. Plenty of teams would rejoice with that record.

I can understand a little not liking the move to keep Sanders if you don't the Steelers have a chance next year. But maybe the fo disagrees.

Varg
04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Very disappointed in the front office for keeping sanders . Thought they were on the right track by letting go of some fat like Harrison and Hampton , but guess I was wrong . That picked could have helped fill a need and this the only draft I have really felt starter quality talent all over the place in the 3rd-4th rounds . Forget about Bradshaw coming now folks . Going to be interesting who falls to that pick come draft time . Going to ram my fist through the tv if someone like Kelce or bell is there. Only thing we can hope for is a badass season from him before he walks next offseason

Rabbit
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
They haven't even played a game yet, so lets just see what happens folks. After one 8-8 srason, surprising to see so many of you abandoning ship. Plenty of teams would rejoice with that record.

I can understand a little not liking the move to keep Sanders if you don't the Steelers have a chance next year. But maybe the fo disagrees.

I don't think anyone's jumping ship. As long as we have Ben and a top tier defense, this team is in position to make the playoffs. However, some of us are skeptical, and rightfully so, over a rash of recent questionable decisions (or indecision) by this front office.

SH-Rock
04-15-2013, 11:16 PM
One thing I'm scared of is the contract coming up for pouncey. One of the best C in the league and he'll prob be asking for premium money. It'd be better to take the 3rd pick.

kan_t
04-15-2013, 11:31 PM
One thing I'm scared of is the contract coming up for pouncey. One of the best C in the league and he'll prob be asking for premium money. It'd be better to take the 3rd pick.
I'm not worried. The Steelers will keep him. Premium money at C is not really premium. The Steelers will find room for him.

desertsteel
04-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Very disappointed in the front office for keeping sanders . Thought they were on the right track by letting go of some fat like Harrison and Hampton , but guess I was wrong . That picked could have helped fill a need and this the only draft I have really felt starter quality talent all over the place in the 3rd-4th rounds . Forget about Bradshaw coming now folks . Going to be interesting who falls to that pick come draft time . Going to ram my fist through the tv if someone like Kelce or bell is there. Only thing we can hope for is a badass season from him before he walks next offseason

A. You never know what you'll end up with on a R3 pick. It's hit and miss.
B. Sanders will easily catch 60 balls for 800 yards next year.
C. They can still sign Bradshaw. The money change was minimal and Bradshaw's deal will be minor.

Steeldude
04-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Name one person who has jumped ship? It seems to me everyone here is still a fan of the Steelers.

TRH
04-16-2013, 09:44 AM

No one is "jumping ship".

And most teams - Patriots, Ravens, Giants, Packers, 49ers, and more don't "rejoice" at 8-8 records. Even teams who are in down-cycles like the Jets, Vikings, Cowboys, etc - don't "rejoice" at 8-8 records.

SteelersCanada
04-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Sanders: "This place is special to me"

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Voluntary offseason workouts began on Monday for NFL teams, but on Sunday morning wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders still wasn’t sure where he would be reporting for the first day of the program.

Sanders, a restricted free agent, had signed a one-year contract offer with the New England Patriots last week. The Steelers had five days to match the offer, or lose Sanders to the Patriots in exchange for their third-round draft pick. On Sunday the Steelers choose to match the offer and keep Sanders in black and gold.

“It’s been a lot of ups and downs, a lot of confusion, but the end result was good, getting the opportunity to play for the team I wanted to play for, so I am happy,” said Sanders. “It feels really good to be wanted. All of the hard work I put in has paid off.

“Pittsburgh gave me the opportunity when I was just a kid coming out of college so this place is special to me.”

Sanders joined his Steelers’ teammates for the first phase of offseason workouts on Monday, taking part in the conditioning program and getting lots of hugs and high-fives from the guys.

“Being here today was extremely important,” said Sanders. “After the deal came about I wanted to be here working. I wanted to do the right thing. In order for us to win we have to have camaraderie, and for that to happen guys need to be here. This is the first time we can meet and start getting chemistry. For me, the season has officially started.”

After starting only eight games in his first three seasons, Sanders has an opportunity this season to step into a full-time starter role after Mike Wallace departed for the Miami Dolphins via free agency. It’s a role he would relish.

“I just want to come in and make plays,” said Sanders. “I want to stay healthy. This year I want to be a full-time starter. I am looking forward to taking advantage of it. It’s an opportunity I have been waiting for and now that it is here I am working hard so when the ball comes my way I will be able to do what I know I am capable of doing.

“The moment is here, carpe diem. It’s something I relate to a lot. It’s about seizing the moment, seizing the day. It’s something in my heart I want to do, not just for myself, but for Steelers Nation. After all, I am wearing (Lynn Swann’s) No. 88. I remember my rookie year having that conversation about representing No. 88 and I am looking forward to representing it well.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Sanders-This-place-is-special-to-me/0d6cc40f-1a7f-4e70-918a-762a8baf4c01

-- Enough with this bullshit "I'm sure he'll half ass it". How can you possibly know that? Wallace did, but Manny Sanders is his own person. Comparing these two receivers is beyond stupid. Wallace had a sense of entitlement because of his "achievements" (that he can credit Roethlisberger for having) and wanted his big payday. Since his agent, whose job it is to promote and talk up his client, says something like this it means Sanders is going to half ass it this year?

Some people on this board are beyond stupid.

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Good article, SC! Sanders is saying the right things and sounds like he's ready to work hard. I just hope it isn't for his next contract opportunity with another team.

I like the comments about team camaraderie especially. That's something this team could use a little of this season.

Varg
04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
A. You never know what you'll end up with on a R3 pick. It's hit and miss.
B. Sanders will easily catch 60 balls for 800 yards next year.
C. They can still sign Bradshaw. The money change was minimal and Bradshaw's deal will be minor.

Your totally right and I have no doubt he will have a good season when given a chance being a starter, but I just do not see us paying him what he wants next year and the talent in this draft alone could have really helped us reload for the upcoming dark years of poor management . All this pushing money to layer years is really going to bite us in the ass sooner than we think . Would have been good having another cheap quality player on the team during this.

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 12:13 PM
i hate agents

TheVet
04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Drafts have been fine. It's the development of players that has been an issue.

It's been a combination of draft mistakes, injuries and other off-field events, and development. How much development would it take to fix Limas Sweed (a man who couldn't) or Rashard (a man who wouldn't)? Granted 2008 was a particularly poor draft, because that entire draft was filled with mistakes, perhaps with the exception of Dixon. But we've had big mistakes in every draft in recent history.

TheVet
04-16-2013, 02:34 PM

We need to draft two WRs anyway. We can use the experience, even if it's only for a year.

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
i hate agents

Especially the homicidal ones. :wink02:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-99989ec6812b9dd245fa889ce60b0c08

FrancoLambert
04-16-2013, 06:02 PM

All possible Tanda, but Sanders playing for a big contract might help us this year.

He won't have nearly the same resume Wallace had when hitting the open market.

He won't get big contract offers if he gives half-assed effort.

The best scenario: he stays healthy, produces big time, and we lock him up.

Hawaii 5-0
05-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Steelers expect 70 catches, 1,000 yards out of Emmanuel Sanders

By SteelCityRoller on May 2 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12550545/gyi0060316858.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The restricted free-agent put his original team on the spot by signing an offer sheet from an AFC rival. The Steelers matched said offer, but expect the player to live up to his pay increase.

The New England Patriots took their sweet time making an offer to RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders, then the Pittsburgh Steelers took their own sweet time deciding whether to match their offer. However, they wasted no time laying out the conditions which match the pay increase they agreed to.

Sanders spent most of Wednesday appearing across the lineup on ESPN. Most of the questions he entertained encircled the personnel rollover experienced by the Steelers roster this off-season; primarily former teammate Mike Wallace. However, during one answer, Sanders let slip a small piece of the Steelers mindset about his own situation.

Once Wallace became a free agent, Sanders slid up the depth chart by default. Whether he broke training camp as the top dog having yet to be seen, his role was bound to increase. Now, we know how far the team expects it to increase.

"They're expecting 70 catches for 1,000 yards, and that's the same thing that I expect for myself."

Quite a lofty goal for someone who set career best seasonal benchmarks of 44 catches and 626 yards in 2012. Even Wallace as the team's No.1, only had 64 catches and 836 yards; and he did so for about a quarter-million more than Sanders new contract is worth.

Perhaps these goals do not seem unobtainable for Sanders, but they don't seem to be a suggestion from the team. This is what is expected.

Sanders makes no mention as to when the team placed this bar before him, although one can't help but wonder if it came after the Steelers had to match the offer sheet Sanders signed. Were their original expectations for him slightly more realistic for a player who is admittedly the second receiver on the depth chart behind Antonio Brown, knowing he would already be in an increased role anyway?

Both Sanders original RFA tender and his new contract only cover the 2013 season. Afterward, he becomes an unrestricted free-agent. Obviously, the Steelers need to know he is worthy of starting before they offer him a new extension; but to expect those types of numbers from a player whose best season barely surpassed their halfway points is a bit of a stretch.

Maybe Sanders brought the extra requirements upon himself by forcing the Steelers hand into a raise, but one thing is certain -- if Sanders can meet the Steelers demands this year, he will be rewarded with a new contract next season, whether it is offered by Pittsburgh, or someone else.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/2/4291718/steelers-Emmanuel-Sanders-expected-statistics

ETL
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I expect the Steelers to lose Sanders to another team next year ... unless Antonio Brown stinks so bad that they cut him and pay Sanders the big money at WR. If Brown and Sanders play to their potential - Sanders is gone and Wheaton will be expected to fill that void next year.

Fire Arians
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
sanders better hope wheaton doesn't show any promise because if so, he's not getting a contract from us

OX1947
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Lucrative offer? What are the lucrative offers for injury prone receivers who drop footballs once in a while?

cubanstogie
05-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Lucrative offer? What are the lucrative offers for injury prone receivers who drop footballs once in a while?

exactly, these cocky little receivers expect to get paid before they prove themselves. I was not a huge Wallace fan but you can't really say he was a dime a dozen reciever like Sanders. Wallace's speed took him out of that category. Its hard to believe his agent could say that with a straight face considering his career to this point.

ebsteelers
05-06-2013, 01:14 PM
still wonder how much of us signing sanders was for the pats to not have him, and if we can work out something long term great (we probably wont) then him go somewhere besides new england?

kind of cut off your nose type deals.

seems like the way we drafted taking 2 wide outs one seem to prepare for life after, cotch, sanders and burress

White_Steel_Wolfe
05-06-2013, 03:14 PM
He will be gone.

austinfrench76
05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Maybe if we had let Sanders walk we could have used that 3rd rounder to pick Landry Jones even earlier???? J/K

steeltheone
05-06-2013, 04:08 PM
3 years 94 rec 1,290 yards and 5 td's Lucrative?:rofl:

Kingmagyar
05-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Receivers that were still available in the draft with the Patriots (Sanders) pick 91st after we took Wheaton we could have added.

Steadman Bailey -I would take him for 4 years over Sanders for one more year. 92nd pick
Ace Sanders 5'7" 4.58 speed? -would probably say no to this one. 101st pick
Josh Boyce 4.38 speed - probably yes. 102nd pick

After the Steelers picks in the 4th round

Chris Harper & Quinton Patton could have been taken in the 4th and with the Sanders pick in the
3rd could have taken instead of a WR

Matt Barkley QB, Nico Johnson ILB, Ryan Nassib QB, Tyler Wilson QB

so I probably take Steadman Bailey in the 3rd with Wheaton. I bet we will be drafting a WR in the first round next year though.

Ricco Suavez
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
The Steelers biggest mistake with Sanders was they gambled and low balled his tender, allowing the Pats to make an offer and lose "only" a third rd pick. If we had offered 2 mil up front then they would of had to give up a 2nd and not a 3rd. We then signed him to 2 and a half a year and we could of saved either 500K or at the very least had an additional 2nd rd pick. It was a gamble and it backfired, it sometimes happens to the best. I am on record that I would of took the 3rd rd pick, now Sanders go out and make me eat those words.