08-23-2006, 02:42 AM
What is said and what is done are two different things. :scratchchin:

Ike: 'I'll be in Pittsburgh'

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Remember these words from Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor:

"I'll be in Pittsburgh."

Taylor, 26, was speaking of next season and beyond, even though he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season and could potentially attract a big offer from another team.

Taylor is currently on a one-year, $1.57 million deal he signed as a restricted free agent and is believed to be seeking an eight-figure signing bonus on a new contract -- not a figure the Steelers likely would be willing to satisfy.

So, what makes Taylor certain he'll be here?

"Because I'm sure of myself, so I know I'll be in Pittsburgh," he said Tuesday. "I'll be here. I'll be in Pittsburgh."

OK, suppose another team comes around with, say, a $13 million signing bonus, along the lines of what Carolina gave rising star cornerback Ken Lucas last season, and the Steelers are offering less than $10 million?

"I'll be in Pittsburgh," Taylor said, smiling.

The Steelers generally do not negotiate contracts once the regular season begins. The opener is Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Taylor's agent, Scott Smith, said he and the Steelers have had "a continuing dialogue for quite some time" and that he and Taylor are "committed to working hard until the final hour to get something done."

"I'm going to be cautiously optimistic," Smith said.

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert declined comment.

83-Steelers-43
08-23-2006, 05:19 AM
I'll believe when I see it. At this point in time, I'm not very optimistic.

BlackNGold203
08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
It is certainly refreshing to hear an athlete speak like this...but I'm with 83 on this one...time will tell i guess....:cool: :cool:

nicesteel4life
08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Hmmmmmm, Think a few other EX-STEELERS said this.......We shall see.

HometownGal
08-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Unless he and his agent know something that we don't, I'm with 83 and 203 here - until he actually signs a contract, I'm skeptical. I'd love to see Ike remain in the Burgh, but as we've discussed here many, many times before - the Rooneys are unlikely to give him an eight figure signing bonus with Ben and Troy's contracts coming up, so I'm staying right where I am on this subject....a wait and see attitude.

X-Terminator
08-23-2006, 09:04 AM
I treat these comments the same way that I do when an athlete says "it's not about the money" after they sign a multi-million dollar mega-deal - PFFFFFFFT! Yeah right!

Stlrs4Life
08-23-2006, 09:29 PM
"I'm going to be cautiously optimistic-----

What is the true meaning of this statement?

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Just how many millions do you need to live happily ever after???

clevestinks
08-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Save this thread, we`ll have to get back to it one of these days. If he is sincere, and he would take leass from us. Then God Bless Him!

Midnightwriter07
08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
right and when another team offers more money to him, he will say.. " its not about the money for me personally.... but i need to make sure my family is going to be ok. I love the Steelers and they gave me a chance when nobody else would, but I must think about my family first and the Steelers needed to step up to the plate and pay me the money i deserve. Plenty of other Cornerbacks in this league are overpaid for what they do and i should be no exception. I mean once teams figure out that i can't play man to man on my own without help or else i get burned and once i get out of the Steelers brilliant defensive scheme that makes me look better, what am I going to do then ? I thought it best to make sure my family is taken care of first, although i want to stay in Pittsburgh because i love the city, the owners, the fans, the players. I wish them all the best and I will look forward to playing for the (insert team name here) and helping them win a Super Bowl. "

Elvis
08-24-2006, 07:35 PM
My ? for ya is...
would you rather have Ike Taylor signed to that big 5 yr. 13.5 million contract with a $10 Million signing bonus... or
Big Ben signed to a 6 yr. $40 million with a $15 million signing bonus? or more
I take/give the $$$$$ to Big Ben
God Bless All
Elvis

OneForTheToe
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Ike is a great player and I wish the Steelers could keep him. However, since we can't keep everybody, I'd pay Ben first, as well as Troy, Willie and probably a few others before Ike.