PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Worilds prepared for heavy lifting

Galax Steeler
04-16-2013, 05:06 AM
By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 5 hours ago

Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds has spent the offseason preparing to prove he is ready to assume the starting job at right outside linebacker.

Worilds, a second-round draft pick in 2010, is considered the likely candidate to replace former All-Pro James Harrison, who was released earlier this year after nearly a decade with the Steelers.

Worilds has had chances to audition for the position the past three seasons. Even though he put together perhaps his best season in 2012, the Virginia Tech product was still slowed some by nagging injuries that have dogged him throughout his career.

Worilds was limited some last year by a wrist injury. Also, he worked his way back from an injured quadriceps muscle in 2011 and played sparingly during his rookie year because of knee and shoulder injuries.

“With the injuries, you can't always put your best foot forward physically,” said Worilds, who expects to participate in May's OTAs at the team's training facility. “If you can be where you need to be physically and put yourself in the right place, it can negate a lot of mistakes.

“It's important for me to stay mentally sharp with my game. I played with some pain the last two seasons, but that's not unusual in the NFL.

“It was tough for me because I know I can do more,” Worilds said. “This game is one in which you have be at 100 percent physically fit to do the things you know you can do.”

Of course, part of Harrison's problem the past two seasons was constant injuries, including neck, hip, knee and hamstring ailments. The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year missed seven games during the 2011 and '12 seasons because of injuries.

Even with the absence of Harrison, the Steelers' linebacker corps remains the anchor of a defense that last year was ranked first in the NFL. Harrison's departure leaves a potential void in the pass rush. Harrison and linebacker Lawrence Timmons had a team-high six sacks, while Worilds had a career-best five.

“Everybody collectively will be better,” Worilds said. “There is better chemistry. I'm excited about what this defense can achieve this season.”

Already, the Steelers have resigned veteran Larry Foote and oft-injured Stevenson Sylvester, who was the 166th overall pick in the Steelers' 2010 draft class that included Worilds.

“With everything going on, I've been working hard to make it to camp in the best shape of my career,” Worilds said. “I know how hard it is to earn a job in this league and to keep your job.

“I learned in my first three years it doesn't get any easier. I know how hard James worked.

“I haven't thought much about getting a starting role, but we all work for that,” he added. “It's a great opportunity, and it puts more on my plate. It's something I've worked on since day one of getting to Pittsburgh. I haven't stepped on the field yet, but I realize what's ahead of me.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/ncaa/3824549-74/worilds-steelers-harrison#ixzz2QcDpDUZ4
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

pczach
04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
He better be ready. I get the feeling he will. Harrison seemed to really get him to buy into conditioning and strengthening his body to be better equipped to handle the duties of OLB in a 3-4 defense. If injuries don't slow him down again, I think he will have a good year.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
He better be ready. I get the feeling he will. Harrison seemed to really get him to buy into conditioning and strengthening his body to be better equipped to handle the duties of OLB in a 3-4 defense. If injuries don't slow him down again, I think he will have a good year.

then we will have no money to sign him with next year smh, hope we can find a pass rusher in the draft cause if Worilds does break out we can sign him and cut Woodley(unless he has a great season also but he is hurting the cap)

Steeldude
04-16-2013, 06:43 AM
“With everything going on, I've been working hard to make it to camp in the best shape of my career,” Worilds said

He should have never let himself get out of shape. He was better during his rookie year. When I saw him the next year I couldn't recognize him until I saw his number. Was he on the Woodley "Seefood" diet?

I hope he is back to a fit 245 or 250 this year. That's where Woodley needs to be also.

teegre
04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
He should have never let himself get out of shape. He was better during his rookie year. When I saw him the next year I couldn't recognize him until I saw his number. Was he on the Woodley "Seefood" diet?

I hope he is back to a fit 245 or 250 this year. That's where Woodley needs to be also.

Yep.

I had the same thoughts. As a rookie, he looked faaast. Then, in his second year, he changed numbers... AND he put on 20 pounds. At first, I was thinking, "Who's that DE???"... until I saw his name on the back of his jersey.

I remember that Vrabel did something similar: going from 250 & fast, to 270 & slow. The Steelers didn't try to resign him, he went to the Taperiots (where he lost that 20 pounds), and the rest is history.

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
worilds has looked good when he's had a chance to start. what i'm worried about is his durability. it seemed like whenever he had a chance to step up he was always injured.

didn't he miss all/most of the last 2 training camps also bc of injury? i'm hoping those seasons were a fluke.

Millers the sh!t
04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I have confidence in worilds. He won't be a prowl bowl LB but he will be sufficient. He'll pick up great by week 7 and I bet he finishes the season with more sack than the over paid and under productive Woodley. Wait and see guys, worilds gets an 9 count in the sack department. Salud Worilds. Looking forward to seeing u develop in 2013.

pete74
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm sticking to my 14-15 sacks for Worilds

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM

i can dig that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Sacks of ice on his fragile frame?? If he gets to the QB 7 times this season, I will be impressed.

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM

I'm thinking 14-15 injuries might be more likely...

pete74
04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm thinking 14-15 injuries might be more likely...

Possible with Worilds Woodley and Ben

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Possible with Worilds Woodley and Ben

we really need all 3 of those guys to stay healthy and have big seasons this year for us to be successful...

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
we really need all 3 of those guys to stay healthy and have big seasons this year for us to be successful...

i think ben will stay healthy, the o-line next year will be much improved from the past years. i'm excited to see decastro play with a year under his belt

FrancoLambert
04-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

A young guy has to stay healthy, step up, and and prove his draft value.

A one-time Pro-Bowler needs a return to (fitness) form.

A veteran QB needs to be protected and he will produce.

It would make for a nice tri-fecta.

:tt04:

cbrunn
04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I think Worilds will surprise a lot of ppl this season ...

He's not useless like a lot of yall think ...

I know losing Harrison is scary in a way ... but I'm excited about the future , not trying to hold onto the past

Steeldude
04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
worilds has looked good when he's had a chance to start. what i'm worried about is his durability. it seemed like whenever he had a chance to step up he was always injured.

didn't he miss all/most of the last 2 training camps also bc of injury? i'm hoping those seasons were a fluke.

He has looked good on the left(easy) side, but on the right he has been dominated. I hope he stays healthy also. The Steelers need someone to step up with Harrison gone

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I think Worilds will surprise a lot of ppl this season ...

He's not useless like a lot of yall think ...

I know losing Harrison is scary in a way ... but I'm excited about the future , not trying to hold onto the past

Somebody here was telling me the same thing about Stevenson Sylvester this time last year. :rolleyes: I've also been told Demarcus Van Dyke is the future of the Steelers at CB.

Will believe it when I see it, but not holding my breath.:coffee:

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Somebody here was telling me the same thing about Stevenson Sylvester this time last year. :rolleyes: I've also been told Demarcus Van Dyke is the future of the Steelers at CB.

Will believe it when I see it, but not holding my breath.:coffee:

van dyke is talented but still raw. if he lives up to his potential he can be very good, but then again, that's a big if

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2013, 09:38 PM
van dyke is talented but still raw. if he lives up to his potential he can be very good, but then again, that's a big if

I will debate that he is "talented". He is "fast", but so are a lot of track guys....doesnt mean he can start at CB in the NFL.

Sharkissle29
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
The love for DVD is totally unwarranted. He is fast, so what? I have not seen this 'potential,' but I have sure seen a lot of holding.

DanRooney
04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Worilds is a mediocre pass rusher. He has poor technique getting around tackles despite being incredibly quick off the snap. He's doing the same thing now he did at va tech. He's not get into the double digit sack range unless he works on shedding blockers. Forget bulking up.

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Worilds is a mediocre pass rusher. He has poor technique getting around tackles despite being incredibly quick off the snap. He's doing the same thing now he did at va tech. He's not get into the double digit sack range unless he works on shedding blockers. Forget bulking up.

You've always hated him. Even before he took a snap here.

From Virginia, maybe? :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
04-17-2013, 12:27 AM
The love for DVD is totally unwarranted. He is fast, so what? I have not seen this 'potential,' but I have sure seen a lot of holding.

Judging someone's ability to play defense on their ST ability seems a little silly to me.

Also, Is DanRooney the new GoFor7?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Judging someone's ability to play defense on their ST ability seems a little silly to me.

Also, Is DanRooney the new GoFor7?

Yeah, I bet Chidi Iwuoma and Anthony Madison could have been Pro Bowl CB's.......they just never got their shot to start at CB. :noidea:

IowaSteeler927
04-17-2013, 01:12 AM

I completely agree with your prediction. This guy had 5 sacks last year in limited playing time. If he can be healthy for a whole season or the majority of one he'll have many more snaps to get those sacks up.

Steeldude
04-17-2013, 08:13 AM
I completely agree with your prediction. This guy had 5 sacks last year in limited playing time. If he can be healthy for a whole season or the majority of one he'll have many more snaps to get those sacks up.

But that was on the left side. On the right he struggles

Steelers5895
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I envision Clark haggans type production. Solid, maybe under 7 sacks. I dont see production like Harrison, Woodley (when healthy and motivated), Gildon, Porter, etc type linebackers.

he will bridge the gap until we draft/sign the next impact OLB to get at the QB.

Fire Arians
04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
But that was on the left side. On the right he struggles

put woodendong on the right, he's making all that money, he should be able to handle his

pete74
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I envision Clark haggans type production. Solid, maybe under 7 sacks. I dont see production like Harrison, Woodley (when healthy and motivated), Gildon, Porter, etc type linebackers.

he will bridge the gap until we draft/sign the next impact OLB to get at the QB.

I can see everything you said directed towards Woodley but Worilds is going to be the next Steeler great linebacker

PhantomJB93
04-17-2013, 06:19 PM
At first the argument was Worilds could generate no pressure, now it's that he can't do it from the right side, next it will be he's only getting leverage at 50 degrees instead of Harrison's 45. He's improved every year while seeing little time as a starter and absolutely no consistency with which side he plays. It's not as easy to keep switching the side you play every other game as subbing someone in on the depth chart in Madden. He was more productive then Woodley OR Harrison last year. He will be fine.

SteelersCanada
04-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Woodley isn't a ROLB. Throwing him over there isn't going to solve anything.

I question whether or not Worilds is, but we're going to find out this year. We need to stop dumping all over the kid before he's had his legitimate shot. Sure, there are legitimate cause for concern (god knows I've stated them) but we should also be excited to see what this kid can do as a starter before shitting all over him as a prospect.

Let the kid play.

TheVet
04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Seriously, we need to see what Worilds can do. This question has been out there for too long - this is the season. It's rebuilding time, and young talent needs to step up. We'll need to take lots of risks, and this risk is a no-brainer.

I'm really, really hoping that Worilds delivers. Especially after this recent bad luck run with LB draftees, and especially after Harrisons' departure - we could use a big success.

DanRooney
04-17-2013, 11:49 PM
You've always hated him. Even before he took a snap here.

From Virginia, maybe? :chuckle:

I am lol. Hopefully he works out with Timmons in the offseason at least.