PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts
Posted 2 hours ago
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

After going through the team’s first voluntary conditioning workouts on Monday, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger signaled for the large turnout of players to gather around him on the field.

While his words couldn’t be heard beyond the tight knit group that formed a circle around him, his actions certainly could. It was a true sign of leadership, Roethlisberger showing that he is not just committed to winning, but to being one of the true veteran leaders on the team.

“I wanted to tell them this is the start of the 2013 season,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now. I wanted to let them know that I am here to help and support them, and I plan on leading any way I can.”

Roethlisberger doesn’t have to be at the workouts, as they are voluntary and as a veteran he knows what it takes to get ready for when OTAs begin. But for younger players, and even other veterans, seeing him there definitely shines a light on the importance of getting off to a strong start.

“I want the younger guys to know how important this is,” said Roethlisberger. “The older guys, they don’t need to be here. They have been here long enough. Me being here is to encourage the young guys and the ones that haven’t been doing it a long time, to know how important it is by seeing a veteran guy here and do what I can to lead these young guys.

“We have had so much change. We lost a lot of veteran guys. I look around and I think there are only five or six guys on this team that are older than me now. It’s important for me as a leader and a quarterback to be here and show guys I am dedicated to this team and this season and am doing what I can to be the best I can be.”

Roster changes are inevitable every year, but coming off an 8-8 season makes it almost a necessity. Some familiar faces, including Mike Wallace, James Harrison and Keenan Lewis, are gone. And some new faces have arrived, including some that are familiar in tight end Matt Spaeth and cornerback William Gay.

Roethlisberger agrees that change can be good. But he also likes the fact that he will still have some of his receivers in the fold, including Antonio Brownand Emmanuel Sanders.

“It’s going to be big for these guys,” said Roethlisberger. “That is why it’s nice to have Emmanuel back. He is a veteran guy that knows what is going on here and knows the game of football. It’s going to be fun to see them work with some young guys and see what they can do.”

Roethlisberger is taking advantage of time during the voluntary workouts to get to know new quarterback Bruce Gradkowski better, and is also looking forward to working with receiver Plaxico Burress. Burress, who enters his 12th season, signed with the team last year in late November. He was re-signed in March and now has a full offseason to get comfortable in the offense.

“It’s going to be fun to still have him here,” said Roethlisberger. “To have that veteran guy that has been around, I think he is the only guy on offense that is older than me, is not only going to be big for me, but for all of the wide receivers in that room.

“This time is good for everyone. It’s a time to get started. I am excited to get the season started.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Roethlisberger-leading-the-way-at-workouts/1b4494fc-b8cf-47cf-9fed-e167bb5c05c1

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Ben started working out seven days after the last game in 2012, and he's been doing cardio five to six days a week. He'll probably come into 2013 looking healthier than he's looked in a long time, and that'll be vital if he wants to play 16 games and a few more.

Lokki
04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Ben started working out seven days after the last game in 2012, and he's been doing cardio five to six days a week. He'll probably come into 2013 looking healthier than he's looked in a long time, and that'll be vital if he wants to play 16 games and a few more.

Yup. Hopefully the other players will follow his lead on that.. I'm looking at you Woodley..

vasteeler
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
nah, couldnt be we all know ben is no leader:sarcalert:

SteelersCanada
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm glad he's taking on more of a leadership role. The lack of leadership last year is what I think caused all the penalties, undisciplined play, etc. Him being vocal in the locker room will also avoid another division within the team.

Good on ya, Ben.

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
nah, couldnt be we all know ben is no leader:sarcalert:

no need for the sarcasm sign. This report sounds like business as usual. He appears to be leading but it's so disingenuous. Every year we get this report and it's just not happening. I don't know if it's a writer(s) with a hard on for him or what.

There's a plethora of evidence that shows he is NOT in fact a leader. The accident, the rape allegations, the whining, throwing coaches under the bus, the team's lack of discipline (not entirely on him but if he was a Brady/Manning type leader he would have more of an impact in how the team conducts themselves on and off the field), the lack of conditioning. Leaders don't act like he does and the results of his actions and his lack of leadership is evident. This is the year we need one though. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but it's been like 8 years and I am still waiting to see it.

vasteeler
04-16-2013, 03:31 PM
no need for the sarcasm sign. This report sounds like business as usual. He appears to be leading but it's so disingenuous. Every year we get this report and it's just not happening. I don't know if it's a writer(s) with a hard on for him or what.

There's a plethora of evidence that shows he is NOT in fact a leader. The accident, the rape allegations, the whining, throwing coaches under the bus, the team's lack of discipline (not entirely on him but if he was a Brady/Manning type leader he would have more of an impact in how the team conducts themselves on and off the field), the lack of conditioning. Leaders don't act like he does and the results of his actions and his lack of leadership is evident. This is the year we need one though. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but it's been like 8 years and I am still waiting to see it.

The accident....not his fault
the rape allegations.....please
the whining......what whining?
throwing coaches under the bus.....:coffee:

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM

Stop it, Negative Nancy! Only positivity allowed in this thread. :laughing: :tt:

fansince'76
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
All I know is things got awfully quiet about last season's "locker room discord" ever since Ben very publicly told his teammates in so many words to STFU about it...

OX1947
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
QB doesnt need to be THE LEADER to win. Flacco just won a title, ELI Manning isnt really a "leader" either.

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
The accident....not his fault
the rape allegations.....please
the whining......what whining?
throwing coaches under the bus.....:coffee:

wow.

The accident...he wasn't wearing a helmet and even after he still didn't wear one on future rides. That is pretty f'ng stupid

The rapes...for sure allegations. But whether innocent or not, after the first one he didn't learn and let another incident happen. Another dumb f'ing move. So why the "please" remark?

Whining...I have heard through the grapevine that most players in the league think he is a whining primadonna. You think he gets punched in the face or hit in the face multiple times by opponents because he is likable? You almost never hear praise or positives from his opponents based on his personality. Personality is important with leadership..no?

Did he not just throw Haley under the bus last year or did you even pay attention. It was a huge topic of conversation and has in part led to many Ben fanboys to call Haley's offense into question despite Haley having a track record of developing WR/QB and his offenses posting solid numbers including a SB appearance.

SteelersCanada
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Whining...I have heard through the grapevine that most players in the league think he is a whining primadonna. You think he gets punched in the face or hit in the face multiple times by opponents because he is likable? You almost never hear praise or positives from his opponents based on his personality. Personality is important with leadership..no

You heard through the grapevine? You have to understand why that, to us, means dick all. Less than dick all. What's less than dick all? Shit all? Ok, it means shit all to us. I heard through the grapevine you're full of shit too.

He got punched in the face by Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour. Neither of those guys are associated with the word "class". You wouldn't mistake either of those guys for preachers.

The rest of your post are things that just ... ugh. :facepalm:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
You heard through the grapevine? You have to understand why that, to us, means dick all. Less than dick all. What's less than dick all? Shit all? Ok, it means shit all to us. I heard through the grapevine you're full of shit too.

He got punched in the face by Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour. Neither of those guys are associated with the word "class". You wouldn't mistake either of those guys for preachers.

:applaudit:

Very well sad to response to cowherpower idiotic post

steelfury02
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I want the offense's continued buy-in and I want mother lovin gamers and workmen - I don't give a shit about flash, attitude, what is said - I want guys that want to win more than anything, on both sides of the ball - eff the articles, eff April talk - I want the real Steelers to stand up and prove something to themselves, and to the rest of the league - these guys are already counted out - that's where they deserve to be - now, it's time to take it all back.

I'm so sick of hearing about the Ravens and the 49ers, the Patriots and the Packers - for the love of god, these guys should be angry - they get less love than the Bengals - as of right now, they have to work to get this shit back in order

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 04:11 PM
wow.

The accident...he wasn't wearing a helmet and even after he still didn't wear one on future rides. That is pretty f'ng stupid

The rapes...for sure allegations. But whether innocent or not, after the first one he didn't learn and let another incident happen. Another dumb f'ing move. So why the "please" remark?

Whining...I have heard through the grapevine that most players in the league think he is a whining primadonna. You think he gets punched in the face or hit in the face multiple times by opponents because he is likable? You almost never hear praise or positives from his opponents based on his personality. Personality is important with leadership..no?

Did he not just throw Haley under the bus last year or did you even pay attention. It was a huge topic of conversation and has in part led to many Ben fanboys to call Haley's offense into question despite Haley having a track record of developing WR/QB and his offenses posting solid numbers including a SB appearance.

What law was he breaking when he wasn't wearing a helmet? Perfectly legal in the state of PA. And what the hell does that have to do with his leadership ability? While it's risky and maybe even a little dumb, it hardly says a thing about his leadership qualities.

Allegations, huh? Guess I have to make a point again. I accuse you of stealing $1,000 from me, cowher. I expect you will pay me back within the week or face civil action. I will drag your name through the muddy threads on this board as well. By the way.... I'm missing another $800 and I fully suspect you of taking it. There, now YOU are a twice accused criminal. See you in court! :wave:

The one thing I will agree with is that, at times, Ben has shown a pouty side in regards to not getting his way. I still don't think that means he can't lead men on a football field when it comes right down to it.

Your posts sound like blind haterism and, might I say, a little whiny?

desertsteel
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Yes I realize that 3 Super Bowls and 2 titles in those 8 years don't cut it for you. You are the awesome.

Ricco Suavez
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Maybe Ben should of skipped workouts and said the hell with working out and showed up in the same shape as Woodley. I mean as far as some are concerned he cant do a damn thing right anyway.

"Ben be more of a leader, it will help the team." says the fan.

"He's all fake and a phony." says the other fan.

"Yea I heard it from the grocer down the street that his nephew's wife knows this guy that was in this bar where Ben used to go and he said Ben is a lousy tipper and snotty. Well then that's the gospel as far as I'm concerned." says the fan.

OX1947
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Maybe Ben should of skipped workouts and said the hell with working out and showed up in the same shape as Woodley. I mean as far as some are concerned he cant do a damn thing right anyway.

"Ben be more of a leader, it will help the team." says the fan.

"He's all fake and a phony." says the other fan.

"Yea I heard it from the grocer down the street that his nephew's wife knows this guy that was in this bar where Ben used to go and he said Ben is a lousy tipper and snotty. Well then that's the gospel as far as I'm concerned." says the fan.

What you are saying is legitimate and a valid point. My uneasiness with Big Ben started before the sexual assault cases and the cranium windshield Olympics.

It was when Hines Ward took offense to things with him and when I saw his body language around Bill Cowher. He looked at Cowher like the dad you got tired of listening too. I believe Cowher retiring had a lot to do with Big Ben's distain for him.

Winning titles made it worse because it only gave Ben the idea that his way worked. Now, I am not going to lie, 2 super bowls has been great. But losing the last one is killing me and I believe my views would be different had they won that game. I cant explain why, 2 is still a lot, but 3 super bowls makes me feel like, you know what, who cares, he has 3 super bowls.

FrancoLambert
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
See it for what it is.

A sign of maturity, confirming priorities, and thinking about the eventual end of a career.

I see it as a positive sign that he's embracing the role of being a veteran and up front leader.

Now if only the O-line plays well and we can find a lead RB.........

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

BWAhahahahaha - Kurt Warner was handed to him, along with those Arizona receivers, his QB's sucked after that.

And what QB did he "develop" in KC? Tyler Palko? Matt Cassel?

Bring back Arians!

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Ben has been a great leader now for two years. Nothing new here.

Now i'm just hoping that's he's a great leader with a great offensive line, because if not, he'll be an injured leader playing 12 games a year.

TheVet
04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
BWAhahahahaha - Kurt Warner was handed to him, along with those Arizona receivers, his QB's sucked after that.

Bring back Arians!

Oh God! Maybe Haley will work out, maybe he won't - he really needs to show it this year. But good or bad, let's not go bat-crazy here!!!!!!

:willy:

Steeldude
04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Yup. Hopefully the other players will follow his lead on that.. I'm looking at you Woodley..

Woodley is busy
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/vaskulus/Fat_War/BlackSlob.jpg

lloydwoodson
04-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Bring back Arians!

Matt Cassel had a 27 touchdown 7 interception season under Haley. That's better than what he had with the Patriots and Belichick.

Who do you think could develop Tyler Palko? Should Arians sign Palko to develop him into the player that leads Arizona back to the Superbowl? I mean Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tyler Palko... all cut from the same cloth right?

Buddha Bus
04-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Matt Cassel had a 27 touchdown 7 interception season under Haley. That's better than what he had with the Patriots and Belichick.

Who do you think could develop Tyler Palko? Should Arians sign Palko to develop him into the player that leads Arizona back to the Superbowl? I mean Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tyler Palko... all cut from the same cloth right?

I think Haley should just silence all the critics and mold JaMarcus Russell into the next John Elway. If he can't, he sucks.

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh God! Maybe Haley will work out, maybe he won't - he really needs to show it this year. But good or bad, let's not go bat-crazy here!!!!!!

:willy:

I am going batshit crazy - after watching Haley's running game - every damn play and especially on those atrocious 3rd and 1's it's always...

.....'line up the single RB 8 yds deep in the backfield and run it up the gut'.

That still pisses me off, I could call it every time....and it failed 99% of the time, 4th and one was the same, with the same results.....we don't need no stinking OL for 1 yd.

and he takes away Ben's strength's by going with all that dink&dunk, let Ben throw the ball deep dammit! We need points and yards in bunches, and Ben isn't Brady.

No wonder we can't score in the redzone, Ben is being cuckolded from midfield now, he used to burn them all the time, we need the return of big plays to score 30 pts every game to make up for the weakness in the D.

....and bubble screens - he does the same thing everyone screamed about with Arians.

so yah - I'm with Ben, if he wants to coldcock Haley, I'll back him up

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 06:23 PM

right, cause your posts are so informed. if you go on other teams forums/websites you can read articles by their local writers, which I have done, and yeah, that might be conjecture on their part, but they are writing about the disdain their players have for him. Is that not the grapevine tool?I don't think I have ever read anything disrespectful about the Mannings of the world, Luck, Rodgers, Brees. But you keep your head in the sand and pretend he's some great leader and that unless it's a fanboy Steelers writer, it must not exist or be that mythical thing they call 'the grapevine' :coffee:

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
:applaudit:

Very well sad to response to cowherpower idiotic post

awww..so cute. must be a mindless Ben lover. Thanks for your input missy:tt02:

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
What you are saying is legitimate and a valid point. My uneasiness with Big Ben started before the sexual assault cases and the cranium windshield Olympics.

It was when Hines Ward took offense to things with him and when I saw his body language around Bill Cowher. He looked at Cowher like the dad you got tired of listening too. I believe Cowher retiring had a lot to do with Big Ben's distain for him.

Winning titles made it worse because it only gave Ben the idea that his way worked. Now, I am not going to lie, 2 super bowls has been great. But losing the last one is killing me and I believe my views would be different had they won that game. I cant explain why, 2 is still a lot, but 3 super bowls makes me feel like, you know what, who cares, he has 3 super bowls.

dude, how did you do that? You posted an opinion about Ben that wasn't glowing, and you managed to not get lambasted by the smarmy crew. Hats off to you:hatsoff:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-16-2013, 06:41 PM
awww..so cute. must be a mindless Ben lover. Thanks for your input missy:tt02:

I'm am very cute thank you kind sir. I must say I am a mindless Ben lover I actually sleep next to a body size pillow with his face on the front and ass on the back. And it's Mr. missy to you.

The fact that your complaining that Ben is a whiner is

A. Dumb, what qb in the nfl doesn't whine about something, and in terms of whining your doing a lot of it on this forum.

B. the fact that you bring up other teams message boards/ articles about Ben is useless in this arguement because any fan will hate the opposing teams qb. Also you have not once presented us with a link or article that backs your statement and you have had plenty of time to do so......so take little bit more time and dig deeper into google.

So in conclusion your grapevine must be up your ass cause its full of shit.

SteelersCanada
04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
right, cause your posts are so informed. if you go on other teams forums/websites you can read articles by their local writers, which I have done, and yeah, that might be conjecture on their part, but they are writing about the disdain their players have for him. Is that not the grapevine tool?I don't think I have ever read anything disrespectful about the Mannings of the world, Luck, Rodgers, Brees. But you keep your head in the sand and pretend he's some great leader and that unless it's a fanboy Steelers writer, it must not exist or be that mythical thing they call 'the grapevine' :coffee:

Give me a link. Any link that shows me you aren't full of shit. Seriously, I'll wait. Show me any players complaining about Roethlisberger and his whining. It's all good, I'll sit here for you.

Here's an article about Eli Manning threatening to not play if drafted by the Chargers:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Manning-threatens-to-sit-out-if-drafted-by-1665057.php

Here's an article about Drew Brees' lucrative contract and how it's crippling the Saints:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1259477-drew-brees-shouldnt-be-praised-as-the-same-hero-after-contract-dispute

Here's an article in which they are concerned about Rodgers' deal and how it will handicap the team:

http://lombardiave.com/2013/04/14/aaron-rodgers-will-his-mega-deal-hamstring-the-green-bay-packers/

You'll notice something about the articles above: they never question character or what other players think. They don't know what other players are thinking and they don't speculate. To assume a writer knows what other players are thinking would be ridiculous. I'm not even convinced these articles you're talking about exist, but I'll get back to that. They stick to football and how it impacts their team, not assume or "question" what other players think about a Quarterback on another team.

You're cherrypicking articles written by hack writers (if they were even written at all) and saying 'well, this is what I heard guys!' and acting as if that's any kind of proof. What the fuck do these writers know about what the players are thinking? He was voted to two Pro Bowls and in case you didn't realize, players have a hand in voting for who attends.

Keep talking out of your ass in that condescending tone, though. It never ceases to amaze me the kind of fanbase we have sometimes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though - all teams have certain fans we're embarrassed about.

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Besides being a Ben hater, I bet cowherpower is a Tomlin hater too

Rabbit
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Did someone say that Haley is using Ben incorrectly?

Pretty sure Ben was having a career year (17 TDs to 4 INTs) and we were on our way to the playoffs until he and half of our other players got injured.

OX1947
04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
dude, how did you do that? You posted an opinion about Ben that wasn't glowing, and you managed to not get lambasted by the smarmy crew. Hats off to you:hatsoff:

Just tryin to keep it real.

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Pretty sure Ben was having a career year (17 TDs to 4 INTs) and we were on our way to the playoffs until he and half of our other players got injured.

This.

Haley and Ben haters. Bring it.

MACH1
04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
This.

Haley and Ben haters. Bring it.

Hater

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Hater

I know you've always loved Arians, Mach. It's okay. You can cry on my shoulder. :heh:

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Hater

http://global3.memecdn.com/haters-gonna-hate_o_703371.jpg

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 08:05 PM

and the dink&dunk didn't protect him either - which was one of thebig reasons for bringing Haley in...if I recall

he's a jinx - Ben never got hurt like that under Arians

a jinx and carrying the stink of losing from KC to us - that's enough for me to want him gone

get him gone Ben, you know you want to, flex your power again

OX1947
http://global3.memecdn.com/haters-gonna-hate_o_703371.jpg

What the faaaaaa?!!!

MACH1
I know you've always loved Arians, Mach. It's okay. You can cry on my shoulder. :heh:

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelerskc4-225x300.jpg

:toofunny:

Rabbit
04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
and the dink&dunk didn't protect him either - which was one of the reasons for bringing Haley in...if I recall

a jinx and carrying the stink of losing - that's enough for me to want him gone

if Ben hates him, I do to

Ben was protected fine until our entire offensive line was dead. Once ol' Turnstile Legursky was on the field, Ben became an easy target.

Fire Arians
04-16-2013, 08:07 PM
and the dink&dunk didn't protect him either - which was one of the reasons for bringing Haley in...if I recall

a jinx and carrying the stink of losing from KC to us - that's enough for me to want him gone

get him gone Ben, you know you want to, flex your power again

ben got hurt by his own recklessness, he was basically on the sideline still looking for the long ball when he got hit. all he had to do was throw it away to prevent an injury. the system didn't fail him, he did.

Fire Haley
04-16-2013, 08:09 PM
ben got hurt by his own recklessness, he was basically on the sideline still looking for the long ball when he got hit. all he had to do was throw it away to prevent an injury. the system didn't fail him, he did.

Haley is still a jinx - we don't need him

we need Ben to kick ass

and don't get hurt again

yea verily

Lady Steel
04-16-2013, 08:14 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelerskc4-225x300.jpg

OMG, you guys are somethin' else. :laughing:

Bayz101
04-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Huh? Ben was injured in the pocket last year. :noidea:

BlaZeQuietly
04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
I said it before, this is the year Ben steps up as the LEADER of this team.

teegre
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM

My guess: he doesn't repeat the same things in multiple threads... and, more importantly, he does not seem to have a vendetta towards BB.

He, like all of us, has "some" concerns about BB; whereas, you appear to really hate the guy.

Make sense?

Bane
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
We ditch Gopher, and we get this. Cool.

cowherpower
04-17-2013, 12:25 AM
My guess: he doesn't repeat the same things in multiple threads... and, more importantly, he does not seem to have a vendetta towards BB.

He, like all of us, has "some" concerns about BB; whereas, you appear to really hate the guy.

Make sense?

I can see why it would seem that way. I admit I voice my frustration w/BB a lot and probably too much. However, it's no worse than the unadulterated adulation thrown his way by many, and I mainly post because they seem blinded by it. I was a huge fan of his when we drafted him and I still think he's money. BUT, I do think he has shown maturity problems and seems stuck in the same mindset of trying to play hero and extend plays when often he can escape for a short to intermediate gain, or hit a shallow crossing pattern or a back out of the backfield. He's the best at what he's good at but I see so much more potential. I think he could have been one of the best ever and maybe he still can be. But to hear about his leadership is questionable. Maybe this will be the year. I hope so. Just because you are a Steelers fan or a BB fan doesn't mean that the team and its QB don't have shortcomings. I will keep my judgments on him private seeing as I am vastly outnumbered and seem to draw the ire of many. But for the record, I do not hate him.

cowherpower
04-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Give me a link. Any link that shows me you aren't full of shit. Seriously, I'll wait. Show me any players complaining about Roethlisberger and his whining. It's all good, I'll sit here for you.

Here's an article about Eli Manning threatening to not play if drafted by the Chargers:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Manning-threatens-to-sit-out-if-drafted-by-1665057.php

Here's an article about Drew Brees' lucrative contract and how it's crippling the Saints:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1259477-drew-brees-shouldnt-be-praised-as-the-same-hero-after-contract-dispute

Here's an article in which they are concerned about Rodgers' deal and how it will handicap the team:

http://lombardiave.com/2013/04/14/aaron-rodgers-will-his-mega-deal-hamstring-the-green-bay-packers/

You'll notice something about the articles above: they never question character or what other players think. They don't know what other players are thinking and they don't speculate. To assume a writer knows what other players are thinking would be ridiculous. I'm not even convinced these articles you're talking about exist, but I'll get back to that. They stick to football and how it impacts their team, not assume or "question" what other players think about a Quarterback on another team.

You're cherrypicking articles written by hack writers (if they were even written at all) and saying 'well, this is what I heard guys!' and acting as if that's any kind of proof. What the fuck do these writers know about what the players are thinking? He was voted to two Pro Bowls and in case you didn't realize, players have a hand in voting for who attends.

Keep talking out of your ass in that condescending tone, though. It never ceases to amaze me the kind of fanbase we have sometimes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though - all teams have certain fans we're embarrassed about.

ask and you shall receive. The following touch upon my what I was saying but I was specifically talking about the times I have gone on the Dolphins forum Finheaven, the Patriots, Jets, and Eagles forums in the past. This was years prior but essentially local writers would have articles about him faking injuries and how those teams players on one hand thought he was tough, but on the other thought he whined and faked injuries. Several times I read how he 'big timed' players and rubbed guys the wrong way.

But dude whatever I am not going to try and find old articles to appease you. Like I said, you have your head in the sand on this one. and when 'fans' like you spout off its what gives Steelers fans a bad name and why folks on PFT and around the country think many Steelers fans are loud mouthed keyboard tapping tough guys. So thanks for promoting that guy:applaudit:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45fddl/most-disliked-nfl-players/

The fans across the country can't stand him.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/peter-king-misunderstands-roger-goodell-all-nfl-players-dislike-ben-roethlisberger_b87007

The Commissioner discussing Ben's reputation

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Poll-Roethlisberger-is-most-disliked-player-in-?urn=nfl-316000

least liked in SB

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nfl-is-ben-roethlisberger-healthier-than-hes-letting-on/53082/

HInes and other STEELER players questioning his injuries

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5132299

even Ben describing how he wasn't a good leader/teammate and others bashed him behind his back.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/356954-big-ben-openly-questions-play-calling

Ben openly questioning play calling. The Tribune must be hacks right?

I am just saying it's hard to be a good leader if your own teammates don't respect you. It's hard to be a leader if you are one of the most hated players in the NFL due ot your off the field conduct. He's gotten married and maybe he has finally matured but the original intent of my post was to point out that he has been saying this same speel and fanboys and local writers have been shoveling this down our throats for several years and he hasn't proven to be a leader. You buy that garbage but when a writer for another team, or a national poll shows he is hated...that is swept under the rug and they are considered hacks. That's convenient.

Great player more often than not, not a leader in the slightest. Now please, I don't want to have to do this every time you attempt this. Your aren't worth it, so while this was fun...for me..not for you so much...I will refrain from feeding the trolls any further

cowherpower
04-17-2013, 01:04 AM
We ditch Gopher, and we get this. Cool.

:blah:

Rick5895
04-17-2013, 04:56 AM
Leadership is something that has to evolve. With Farrior and Ward we had great leaders on the field and off. They were gone last season, when you take that out of a locker room, it could take a year for the next group to evolve because the previous leaders where so strong. This is the year we will see who has stepped to the fore. My hope that Ben has learned from his past mistakes and has grown and matured to accept the mantel of leadership now thrown at him. What Ben was 5 years ago does not mean he is that way now, Sindey Crosby comes to mind, when he first came into the NHL is was considered a whiny little boy by most opponents and media, now he is recognized as a good leader. However that "whiny" moniker has stuck dserved or not!

teegre
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM
I can see why it would seem that way. I admit I voice my frustration w/BB a lot and probably too much. However, it's no worse than the unadulterated adulation thrown his way by many, and I mainly post because they seem blinded by it. I was a huge fan of his when we drafted him and I still think he's money. BUT, I do think he has shown maturity problems and seems stuck in the same mindset of trying to play hero and extend plays when often he can escape for a short to intermediate gain, or hit a shallow crossing pattern or a back out of the backfield. He's the best at what he's good at but I see so much more potential. I think he could have been one of the best ever and maybe he still can be. But to hear about his leadership is questionable. Maybe this will be the year. I hope so. Just because you are a Steelers fan or a BB fan doesn't mean that the team and its QB don't have shortcomings. I will keep my judgments on him private seeing as I am vastly outnumbered and seem to draw the ire of many. But for the record, I do not hate him.

Good post.

I don't think there is a Steelers fan that would disagree with that post. As you said: we all know that the team & its QB have shortcomings. I think that it's the "tone" in which certain things are presented that draws ire from some people.

Again, good post.

steelfury02
04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Bring back Abe Lincoln
Bring back Thomas Edison
Bring back Martin Luther King Jr.
Bring back Elvis
Bring back Terry Bradshaw
Bring back Jerome Bettis
Bring back Hines Ward
Bring back Bill Cowher
Bring back Bruce Arians
Bring back 2005
Bring back 2008
Bring back 2010

Bring back Roethlisberger. You haters better just start enjoying what we have instead of wishing something were different. I've bashed my fair share of Steelers and never have had any of my 3 football wishes granted, yet here we are, still fans of THE Pittsburgh Steelers. My father in law told me the other day that Haley was a cancer and a loser, and that they need someone better. I asked "Who do you want?"

Response: "There's a lot of candidates out there - oh, I don't know off the top of my head."

You haters are really reaching. I hope and pray Ben and co. take this team on their shoulders and shut some of you up already. Either way - I'm sure you "were right all along."

"Hedge your bets here, hedge your bets"

Fire Haley
04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
. My father in law told me the other day that Haley was a cancer and a loser, and that they need someone better.

I like the guy already

steelfury02
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I like the guy already

good, you can have him - you probably deserve each other :chuckle:

Lady Steel
04-17-2013, 12:52 PM
In my head, this thread is all rainbows, flowers, and unicorns. :laughing:

Ben has a son now. Things are different. I believe him when he says he is going to lead this team into the 2013/2014 season and beyond. Time will tell, but I'm a believer.

stb_steeler
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Woodley is busy
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/vaskulus/Fat_War/BlackSlob.jpg

you got the wrong guy....
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/tsiek8303/Casey_Hampton.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/tsiek8303/media/Casey_Hampton.jpg.html)