PDA

View Full Version : Townsend breaks thumb

crcsnail
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Starting cornerback Deshea Townsend has a slight fracture of his right thumb and will not play in the Steelers' preseason game Friday at Philadelphia, coach Bill Cowher said Wednesday.

Cowher, speaking at his weekly news conference from training camp, said he is "optimistic" Townsend will be ready for the season opener Sept. 7 against Miami. Townsend injured the thumb making an interception in practice Tuesday.

Receiver Hines Ward (hamstring) also will sit out the Philadelphia game - and likely the preseason finale against Carolina - but Cowher also is optimistic Ward will be close to 100 percent for the opener.

Cowher also said that starting tailback Willie Parker has a good chance to remain in games in short-yardage situations, as the team has not settled on a replacement for Jerome Bettis in such situations.

like u guys i rate townsend he is a solid player lets hope he recovers quickly :)

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Starting cornerback Deshea Townsend has a slight fracture of his right thumb and will not play in the Steelers' preseason game Friday at Philadelphia, coach Bill Cowher said Wednesday.

What is it with this team and their thumbs!!!!

83-Steelers-43
08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Not to sound cold, but it will be nice to see more of McFadden.

siss
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
They all need thumb helmets!!!!!

Midnightwriter07
08-23-2006, 01:22 PM
well Townsend can always go to Ben for help with his thumb... If Ben can play with a sore thumb then i think Townsend will be fine

steelcity984
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise--getting more playing time for McFadden. (I like Townsend too but we all know the spot is going to McFadden eventually.)

nicesteel4life
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Just glad its only a SLIGHT fracture....

Stlrs4Life
08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_467102.html

Some Porter quotes -

"I've been here; I've been here the whole time," Porter said. "(Holding out) was something that was not going to happen. If I was angry or grumpy or something, I wouldn't have been here. ... I don't know what the argument is about. I'm here, I'm talking to all my coaches, I'm happy. I'm still breaking the team down, and my leadership role hasn't changed. I'm still out there doing my thing."

"When you guys don't have a thumb or wreck to talk about, you're going to look for the next best thing and create a story," Porter said. "Well, I don't have a story for you."

Hines Ward chips in -

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who held out of training camp last year when he had one year left on his deal, said neither Porter's words nor his contract situation have been issues this summer.

"Players don't read much into it," Ward said. "He showed up on time. He's here, he's working his butt off, he's rehabbed (his knee injury), and he's out there being a leader. What he says doesn't concern us because we know what Joey is going to bring to the table each and every weekend."

clevestinks
08-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Porter is right. Atleast he is at practice, and playing. If he is bitter, atleast he will show it on the field!

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 10:32 AM
"Players don't read much into it," Ward said. "He showed up on time. He's here, he's working his butt off, he's rehabbed (his knee injury), and he's out there being a leader. What he says doesn't concern us because we know what Joey is going to bring to the table each and every weekend."

Right on the money Hines! :jammin:

SteelCzar76
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_467102.html

Some Porter quotes -

"I've been here; I've been here the whole time," Porter said. "(Holding out) was something that was not going to happen. If I was angry or grumpy or something, I wouldn't have been here. ... I don't know what the argument is about. I'm here, I'm talking to all my coaches, I'm happy. I'm still breaking the team down, and my leadership role hasn't changed. I'm still out there doing my thing."

"When you guys don't have a thumb or wreck to talk about, you're going to look for the next best thing and create a story," Porter said. "Well, I don't have a story for you.""

Classic Peezy. And that ladies and Gentlemen,.......is why "WE RIDE"

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

SteelerFanInCA
08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
It makes you wonder just how much the media blows things out of proportion. It seems as Joey is happy to be here. Love his comments on the media looking for a story.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Joey is acting like a grown up. Great news.

But what about Deshea's thumb?

SteelerFanInCA
08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
It sounds like Deshea's injury is something that will not keep him out that long. I guess he could probaly play with a cast on if he had to. Other than that I believe we are pretty deep at that positon.

Midnightwriter07
08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
i thought was just a fracture and not a break.. i havnt read where he broke it or have i been reading wrong ?

83-Steelers-43
08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
From the official site:

Coach Bill Cowher said that starting cornerback Deshea Townsend broke his right thumb during Tuesday's afternoon practice session here, and that he won't play in Friday's preseason game against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

http://news.steelers.com/article/68241/

From the PPG:

"Townsend, who had successfully held off a challenge from two young cornerbacks to retain his job on the right side, will probably miss the final two preseason games. The hope is he can start Sept. 7 in the opener against Miami. His thumb was broken when he intercepted a pass in practice Tuesday. He said at the time that his hand, packed in ice, was "sore" before x-rays showed the break."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06236/715926-66.stm