BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Wait...let me guess....

No more rep points....

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Wait...let me guess....

No more rep points....

It's OK, 203. The only thing I'll miss about it are the comments - I enjoyed reading them and it was really nice knowing when your posts were appreciated.

It's a shame though, that one bad, sour apple had to ruin it for everyone else. :rolleyes:

We'll survive! :bouncy:

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah...that's it exactly...it was never a race for me...but it was great letting people know you enjoyed their posts...and hearing the same from them....

Oh well...

:cool: :cool:

83-Steelers-43
08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah...that's it exactly...it was never a race for me...but it was great letting people know you enjoyed their posts...and hearing the same from them....

Oh well...

Agreed. Oh well.

ARKIESTEEL
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Wait...let me guess....

No more rep points....

It's OK, 203. The only thing I'll miss about it are the comments - I enjoyed reading them and it was really nice knowing when your posts were appreciated.

It's a shame though, that one bad, sour apple had to ruin it for everyone else. :rolleyes:

Who was the bad apple? I am that dense:dang:

X-Terminator
08-24-2006, 09:43 AM

Ditto. Apparently somewhere along the line, it was forgotten that the rep system was about FUN, not for competition or popularity or any other reason. Oh well, I agree - it was nice reading the comments and knowing that people enjoyed my posts.

Livinginthe past
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I guess it means that any appreciation you have for another persons post will have to made in the form of an actual post on the thread.

Personally I found the 'good post' and 'I agree' comments by themselves pretty annoying when they appeared on a thread.

I would have liked a compromise whereby you could still rep someone but their points wouldn't show on your profile.

Its funny that this has happened and the 4 people (that i counted) that had a real issue with the rep system no longer post here, or not on a regular basis anyway.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Good post.

I agree. :cool:

NM

Livinginthe past
08-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Ditto. Apparently somewhere along the line, it was forgotten that the rep system was about FUN, not for competition or popularity or any other reason. Oh well, I agree - it was nice reading the comments and knowing that people enjoyed my posts.

Good post.

If only there was another way of me letting you know I enjoyed your post.

Hmmmmm. :smile:

NM

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Good post.

I agree. :cool:

NM

I just repped you - don't you see it? :busted: :cool:

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM

I got rep from a whole host of people - 99% of the time for posts I made in the football and sports forums. It is meaningless in the long run, but as I said, it was the comments that I enjoyed the most. It would be great if we could still see the comments without the points. My God - none of us are here to win a popularity contest - it's an internet BB!!!!

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Good post.

NM

Good post LITP!!!

(I'll be a "living legend" in no time!!!)

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Good post LITP!!!

(I'll be a "living legend" in no time!!!)

Good posts LITP and 203 - hey you too, 83. :cool:

203 - you are a 'living legend' already. :bouncy:

OK - I'm done. Time to get back to the reason why i joined in the first place - to talk to fellow Steelers fans about the team we're all crazy about. No, LITP, not the Pats. :wink02:

Lyn
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
I will not miss rep points at all. As far as "reading the notes" there is nothing to stop someone from PM ing you to let you know how well or badly your post was, is there?

I love no rep!~ It was a great idea thanks Mike!~

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Good post.

NM

I herby make the HAPPY BANANA..the official way to say "good post" !!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Okay..thats gay....maybe not.

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM

LMAO....:sofunny: :sofunny:

*backs away from LLT*

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 10:34 AM

LMAO! Happy banana for good posts-
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

And this one for those we don't appreciate? -
:jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

klick81
08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Welp, that sucks. I agree w/ everyone about the appreciation of the comments. Good posts everyone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
LMAO! Happy banana for good posts-
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

And this one for those we don't appreciate? -
:jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

:sofunny: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :sofunny:

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
:sofunny: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :sofunny:

new video..."Smilies Gone Wild!!!"

:sofunny: :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 01:09 PM

WHOA!!!! Youve had that fantasy too!!!???

Prosdo
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I was sorry to see rep go because of the comments as well, but we had quite a few people abusing the rep system. So, hopefully some of the problems will calm down some.

ARKIESTEEL
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I guess being dumb I dont know why we are not doing rep anymore did I miss a vote or did someone get nad?:dang: :busted:

tony hipchest
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Okay..thats gay....maybe not.:sofunny:

:yeehaw:

bummer. if i wouldve seen this coming i couldve dropped 5 neg rep bombs on litp and hardwork to the tune of -100 pts. :bouncy:

i really liked my idea of starting new with everyone at 10 and no growth of rep power (i must admit having 40 rep pts to give out for a single post is way too many). everybody could be on equal ground with a good post getting 1 point., great post = 2, and excellent post = 3. eliminate the neg rep feature and make it to where not only can everyone see who gave you rep but everyone can see who gave anyone rep.

oh well. thanks to everyone who left me great comments and laughed at my jokes via the rep system. :cool:

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM

More like Ba-na-nas gone crazy. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

tony hipchest
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I guess being dumb I dont know why we are not doing rep anymore did I miss a vote or did someone get nad?:dang: :busted:bengalbrian threw a hissy fit and demanded that it be eliminated like on his board. see the "pm wars need to stop" thread in the locker room and it should explain alot more.

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
:sofunny:

bummer. if i wouldve seen this coming i couldve dropped 5 neg rep bombs on litp and hardwork to the tune of -100 pts. :bouncy:

i really liked my idea of starting new with everyone at 10 and no growth of rep power (i must admit having 40 rep pts to give out for a single post is way too many). everybody could be on equal ground with a good post getting 1 point., great post = 2, and excellent post = 3. eliminate the neg rep feature and make it to where not only can everyone see who gave you rep but everyone can see who gave anyone rep.

oh well. thanks to everyone who left me great comments and laughed at my jokes via the rep system. :cool:

Definitely a 3 here Tony. :cool: Your idea is a very good one, but what's done is done and we move forward and keep on keepin' on participating in and contributing to the best Steelers forum on the net! :bouncy:

tony hipchest
08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Definitely a 3 here Tony. :cool: Your idea is a very good one, but what's done is done and we move forward and keep on keepin' on participating in and contributing to the best Steelers forum on the net! :bouncy: well thank you! that there was a 3 banana post.

:banana::banana::banana:

ARKIESTEEL
08-24-2006, 01:40 PM
bengalbrian threw a hissy fit and demanded that it be eliminated like on his board. see the "pm wars need to stop" thread in the locker room and it should explain alot more.

So a bengal fan stoped the rep thing on a Steeler board hmmmm that makes sense.

I like the rep thing cause folks would tell you hey that was funny of hey that was what I was thinking made you feel like what you had to say ment something to some one else.
I like makeing folks laugh

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
bengalbrian threw a hissy fit and demanded that it be eliminated like on his board. see the "pm wars need to stop" thread in the locker room and it should explain alot more.

..And lets not forget that alot of that thread had to do with a certain chick who thought she could tell us all who we could be friends with and who we couldnt...*theme from psycho*

....I would rather not have the rep system ... if it eliminates those kind of problems...I LOVE the atmosphere of friendship that is in the forum now!!!:smile:

Prosdo
08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
It was not because of one person. It was because of multiple people abusing the system. Matt and myself were getting so many complaints about rep it was getting ridiculous.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Im sorry i do not have time to read all the post here to find out exactly why the REP points have been taken away....Can someone briefly explain the reason why???

Thanks..

CantStop85
08-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh no...how are we going to judge popularity now? Post count? :blurp:

floodcitygirl
08-24-2006, 01:54 PM
:sofunny:

oh well. thanks to everyone who left me great comments and laughed at my jokes via the rep system. :cool:Tony, you amaze me with the great attitudes that you have about some things! Sorry I can't rep you for that post.....I'm not using dancing bananas! :sofunny: I think your idea is a great one and hopefully the powers that be will figure out a system to recognize the posts and posters that help make this a great place to be. Most people appreciate encouragement for their good contributions.

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh cmon CS85...you're very popular!!!

Prosdo
08-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Im sorry i do not have time to read all the post here to find out exactly why the REP points have been taken away....Can someone briefly explain the reason why???

Thanks..

A lot of people were abusing it. Sending negative rep for no reason or because of some silly little fights. It was for fun and some people forgot that. So, it was removed to stop the some of the problems. Maybe some day it will return.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 02:07 PM
The one obvious drawback is that the posts are going to be cluttered with "good post"...and "LMAO" instead of having it taken care of in a different format.

Too bad we couldnt have an instant pm button to at least let people know that they are appreciated..or just bring back the old system without being able to add rep points

klick81
08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Maybe some day it will return.

Let's keep hope alive :hope: A new beginning with the start of a new season maybe? :smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Oh no...how are we going to judge popularity now? Post count? :blurp:

you havnt been paying attention..its by banana count!

ARKIESTEEL
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
you havnt been paying attention..its by banana count!

Now that is funny if I just figure out how much fruit to give for that lets see 2 apples one prune and 5 bananas should cover it

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
A lot of people were abusing it. Sending negative rep for no reason or because of some silly little fights. It was for fun and some people forgot that. So, it was removed to stop the some of the problems. Maybe some day it will return.

This is where i could send you some rep and thank you for your response....
But now i cant

As for the ones who complained......:violin:

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Now that is funny if I just figure out how much fruit to give for that lets see 2 apples one prune and 5 bananas should cover it

Nooooooo prunes - they give people the chits! :shake01:

floodcitygirl
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
A lot of people were abusing it. Sending negative rep for no reason or because of some silly little fights. It was for fun and some people forgot that. So, it was removed to stop the some of the problems. Maybe some day it will return.OK!!!!! Who did it?????? :boxing: :smile: I only remember giving neg rep one time and the guy was being a jerk...and I did sign my name and told him why.....and he actually ended up posting pretty decently. If neg rep has been the problem, can't just that be taken away? BTW....are the people still around who were causing the problem? I'm not really expecting an answer to that...it's just that there has been some transition going on around here.....??????

siss
08-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Well that just means peoiple are gunna more Pm's from me!

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
..And lets not forget that alot of that thread had to do with a certain chick who thought she could tell us all who we could be friends with and who we couldnt...*theme from psycho*

....I would rather not have the rep system ... if it eliminates those kind of problems...I LOVE the atmosphere of friendship that is in the forum now!!!:smile:

Don't even get me started on that subject. :rolleyes: On my other board where XT and I are Admins, we don't put up with hootzpah. You get a warning and if you keep up with the flame-baiting, BS and junior high red rover games which drag the board down, you are shown the door and quickly.

I agree with you, LLT, and for this post, you get 6 bananas. :cool:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
OK!!!!! Who did it?????? :smile: I only remember giving neg rep one time and the guy was being a jerk...and I did sign my name and told him why.....and he actually ended up posting pretty decently. If neg rep has been the problem, can't just that be taken away? BTW....are the people still around who were causing the problem? I'm not really expecting an answer to that...it's just that there has been some transition going on around here.....??????

I can honestly say that I have never neg-repped anyone on any BB. Instead of doing that, I took the adult route - I PM'd them and talked it out and if the problem couldn't be solved, I just put them on ignore. I didn't want to expose everyone else to a flame-fest - that isn't fair to the other posters. Not that what you did was wrong, FCG - I just take a different approach.

Prosdo
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
OK!!!!! Who did it?????? :boxing: :smile: I only remember giving neg rep one time and the guy was being a jerk...and I did sign my name and told him why.....and he actually ended up posting pretty decently. If neg rep has been the problem, can't just that be taken away? BTW....are the people still around who were causing the problem? I'm not really expecting an answer to that...it's just that there has been some transition going on around here.....??????

Most of the rep uses have been a lot of litte incidents. Then we got into the bigger ones or longer lasting ones I should say. I cannot see who negative reps who so it's hard for me to make a call to get rid of those people.

83-Steelers-43
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
No more reputation points?!?!?!

http://kargah.alirezabehnam.com/Apocalypse%20Now-thumb.jpgThe horror...........the horror.............the horror.....

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Most of the rep uses have been a lot of litte incidents. Then we got into the bigger ones or longer lasting ones I should say. I cannot see who negative reps who so it's hard for me to make a call to get rid of those people.

Thanks for letting us in on the reasons behind this decision, Pros - it is appreciated, as are you for all you do around here. :smile:

People who are tech geniuses (or know someone who is) can always find a way to conceal their identities by using computers with different ISPs, registering under an alias and neg-repping those (non-contributors) who can't see who the "culprit" is. It's just a shame that a few worms had to ruin it for those of us who used the rep system as a kudos instead of a popularity tool. Who really gives a hoot if you're the king or queen of an internet BB? LMFAO!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I really like the rep system. I never gave negative rep unless the person was acting like a complete jackass. Bring back the rep system.

X-Terminator
08-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for letting us in on the reasons behind this decision, Pros - it is appreciated, as are you for all you do around here. :smile:

People who are tech geniuses (or know someone who is) can always find a way to conceal their identities by using computers with different ISPs, registering under an alias and neg-repping those (non-contributors) who can't see who the "culprit" is. It's just a shame that a few worms had to ruin it for those of us who used the rep system as a kudos instead of a popularity tool. Who really gives a hoot if you're the king or queen of an internet BB? LMFAO!!!

Unfortunately, that's where we are in the Internet generation. You have people whose entire lives revolve around being the "top dog" on a message board, because their real lives are that unfulfilling or miserable, or crave attention. As a result, it's extremely difficult to keep something like reputation because ultimately, people like this will abuse it in order to spread their misery because they feel their little world has been "imposed on." A message board is NOT real life, nor was it intended to be.

HometownGal
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately, that's where we are in the Internet generation. You have people whose entire lives revolve around being the "top dog" on a message board, because their real lives are that unfulfilling or miserable, or crave attention. As a result, it's extremely difficult to keep something like reputation because ultimately, people like this will abuse it in order to spread their misery because they feel their little world has been "imposed on." A message board is NOT real life, nor was it intended to be.

You get a TH#3 (named fondly after you know who!)and :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: for that post! Very sad, but very true.

Koopa
08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
well if ppl weren't little bitches and complained about every little thing the site would still have a rep system....smh @ all you little whiners out there that take this shit so serious that you would run to the admin or mod and complain. stop being bitches and just take it and none of this would've happened

floodcitygirl
08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I can honestly say that I have never neg-repped anyone on any BB. Instead of doing that, I took the adult route - I PM'd them and talked it out and if the problem couldn't be solved, I just put them on ignore. I didn't want to expose everyone else to a flame-fest - that isn't fair to the other posters. Not that what you did was wrong, FCG - I just take a different approach.I actually think I handled it in a very adult way. The guy wasn't being a jerk to me personally....just to several people on the board with never-ending posts using really foul language and personal attacks. I finally dinged him for it...told him who I was....and suggested that he talk about football and the team he supports instead, and I did it all in a private way....just what I thought the neg rep was there for. Like I said, in that instance it worked out really well. :smile:

SteelCityMan786
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Well it's good to see a stand has been taken. I was getting sick of hearing about the complaints. Good to see there was a change.

Lyn
08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Also. a couple old posters left because of the bs being caused by it. That is what bothered me most.

Mosca
08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Aw man, I was really looking forward to getting that rep up over 500!

:crying03:

I've been in some really highly opinionated discussions with other members and it was nice to be able to give a good rep "good argument!" as an aside.

There are all kinds here, I guess. Even without the rep the respect will stay the same. I appreciate getting it, and I'll always try to give it in return.

And I know, I'm hardly the only one who is jumping out of his/her skin, I can't wait for the season to start!

Tom

AZ_Steeler
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I would have liked a compromise whereby you could still rep someone but their points wouldn't show on your profile.

This is actually a really good compromise and suggestion. Maybe have the rep be a toggle option that says turn on the rep for you or leave it off, so when you have a post people can see you have the Thumb up thumb down and have opted to turn on ... Just a thought

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
I really do miss the rep system. A few people abuse it and some people complain about it and its gone. That sucks it really sucks.

HometownGal
08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Aw man, I was really looking forward to getting that rep up over 500!

:crying03:

Would you settle for 500 dancing, jumping bananas instead? :blurp:

MattsMe
08-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Wow, I went away for a couple days and look what happened.

I think the rep feature was cheapened in a way by overuse. I remember getting maybe one comment every other day for the first couple of months after I joined, and that's about how many I gave out. Opinions that were expressed very well, or comments that were either very insightful or extremely funny were the only ones I gave rep for. But then it seemed like people, including me, started getting rep every time certain people agreed with them, or for every post that made them chuckle. While I did appreciate it, I couldn't say I felt like it was deserved. I know there were no rules on what posts qualify as repworthy, but it seemed like until the last month or two, the standards were generally a little higher.

Lyn
08-26-2006, 09:14 AM
So true, Matt. :blah: :blah: :blah: :)

Koopa
08-26-2006, 02:55 PM
i wish steelersfever would make the rep system where it doesn't show your rep, but still allows you to leave a comment. of course the user could see his/her rep points, but then it isn't a competition if you will. but we can still leave comments for good post, and not flood the threads with "good post" or "i agree" type of stuff

BlackNGold203
08-26-2006, 03:01 PM
i wish steelersfever would make the rep system where it doesn't show your rep, but still allows you to leave a comment. of course the user could see his/her rep points, but then it isn't a competition if you will. but we can still leave comments for good post, and not flood the threads with "good post" or "i agree" type of stuff

not a bad idea at all Koop.....:cool: :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2006, 03:11 PM

I agree..good post!!

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I agree..good post!!

I also agree..good post. :sofunny:

Prosdo
08-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I will make the suggestion Koopa and we'll see what happens.

tony hipchest
08-27-2006, 01:07 AM
i wish steelersfever would make the rep system where it doesn't show your rep, but still allows you to leave a comment.

if this doesnt defy the definition of "reputation" i dont know what does.

but whatever. the sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

Stillers#1
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I was sorry to see rep go because of the comments as well, but we had quite a few people abusing the rep system. So, hopefully some of the problems will calm down some.

How, exactly, does one "abuse" the rep system. I have no idea who did it, I have a clue, but no one got hurt by this "abuse". I think this is a case of everybody taking their "rep" a little too seriously.

Personally, I liked the rep idea, and I hope it comes back. I don't think it was a case of people abusing it, I just think it was a case of people getting to upset for being dinged for no reason whatsoever.

What I have seen on other non-sport related sites is, your rep power is only associated, with some formula that takes how long you have been around combined with how many posts they have. It sounds difficult, but I think it could work. You could also have a system where the user picks whether they even want to have rep or not. If you don't want to have rep, you don't get to give rep. It make take a little bit of fudging around, but people like Koopa, Tony, and even LITP deserve to have all that rep that they EARNED.

MattsMe
08-27-2006, 01:37 AM
if this doesnt defy the definition of "reputation" i dont know what does.

but whatever. the sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

Bingo. Sad but true, as usual.

Prosdo
08-27-2006, 02:27 AM
How, exactly, does one "abuse" the rep system. I have no idea who did it, I have a clue, but no one got hurt by this "abuse". I think this is a case of everybody taking their "rep" a little too seriously.

Personally, I liked the rep idea, and I hope it comes back. I don't think it was a case of people abusing it, I just think it was a case of people getting to upset for being dinged for no reason whatsoever.

What I have seen on other non-sport related sites is, your rep power is only associated, with some formula that takes how long you have been around combined with how many posts they have. It sounds difficult, but I think it could work. You could also have a system where the user picks whether they even want to have rep or not. If you don't want to have rep, you don't get to give rep. It make take a little bit of fudging around, but people like Koopa, Tony, and even LITP deserve to have all that rep that they EARNED.

People did take it a bit too seriously, but people were also negative repping people everyday for no reason. It was getting quite ridiculous. Hopefully with the changes all should be well.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I could care less my rep when it was up. I had a 1000+ points but who cares? It's not the rep that tells how good people are at posting. It's the Quality.

Lyn
08-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I could care less my rep when it was up. I had a 1000+ points but who cares? It's not the rep that tells how good people are at posting. It's the Quality.

Very well said :)

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Very well said :)

Thanks Lyn. I just want to encourage people giving rep for GOOD reasons Not BAD.