PDA

View Full Version : NBA center Jason Collins just came out

Vis
04-29-2013, 10:18 AM
This story appears in the May 6, 2013, issue of Sports Illustrated.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

I've played for six pro teams and have appeared in two NBA Finals. Ever heard of a parlor game called Three Degrees of Jason Collins? If you're in the league, and I haven't been your teammate, I surely have been one of your teammates' teammates. Or one of your teammates' teammates' teammates.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2RrkXGJt7

Vis
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Actor Neil Patrick Harris

Neil Patrick Harris
@ActuallyNPH
Bravo, @JasonCollins34! Thanks for stepping up. For standing tall. And at 7 feet, that's saying a lot.
17 MINUTES AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Austrian-born actor and former fashion model Boris Kodjoe

Boris Kodjoe
@BorisKodjoe
Congrats to 11-year NBA vet Jason Collins for taking the courageous step to come out as the first openly gay pro... fb.me/1GZD1C93A
22 MINUTES AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Jason Collins' Wizards teammate Garrett Temple

Garrett Temple
@GTemp14
Much respect to my teammate @jasoncollins34 for being #real
40 MINUTES AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
ESPN's Mike Tirico

MikeTirico
@miketirico
May today's voices of support offset the trepidation leading up to this day. In admiration of your courage @jasoncollins34.
41 MINUTES AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
ICYMI: This Week's Cover of Sports Illustrated

This Week's Cover: The Gay Athlete STORY: bit.ly/12J9el5 COVER: http://pic.twitter.com/zG3fQvm9vo
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED@SINOW·3 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Philadelphia 76ers' Damien Wilkins

Damien Wilkins
@dwilkins3000
Very proud of and happy for one of the coolest and most down to earth guys I know @jasoncollins34. #Fwhatpplthink
2 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Former Spurs player Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen
@Bowen12
Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is.
Stanford Assistant Basketball Coach, Mark Madsen

Mark Madsen
@madsen_mark
Played NBA +college w/ @Jasoncollins34 -tremendous human being and PHENOMENAL teammate, leader, friend.Look forward 2his continued success!
AN HOUR AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Former Celtics guard, Kenny Anderson

Kenny Anderson
@chibbs_1
Jason Collins much respect,Stay up my guy!
American comedian and late night talk show announcer, Andy Richter

Andy Richter
@AndyRichter
Wow. Viva @jasoncollins34 ! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/?mobile=no
Quote from Thunder F Kevin Durant

John Rohde
@RohdeOK
@KDTrey5 on Jason Collins: "If he's happy, that's cool with me. Seems like a great guy ... I support him."
Nuggets' Kenneth Faried

Kenneth Faried
@KennethFaried35
Wow this is amazing all smiles.. So so happy Jason Collins came out & announce he was openly GAY ALL SUPPORT OVER HERE #ATHLETEALLY #LGBT
Russell Simmons (Third richest figure in hip hop)

John Rohde
@RohdeOK
@KDTrey5 on Jason Collins: "If he's happy, that's cool with me. Seems like a great guy ... I support him."
Nuggets' Kenneth Faried

Kenneth Faried
@KennethFaried35
Wow this is amazing all smiles.. So so happy Jason Collins came out & announce he was openly GAY ALL SUPPORT OVER HERE #ATHLETEALLY #LGBT
Russell Simmons (Third richest figure in hip hop)

Russell Simmons
@UncleRUSH
proud of Washington Wizards' player Jason Collins (@JasonCollins34) for coming out. we will stand with you as you continue on your journey.
3 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Lakers PG Steve Nash

Steve Nash
@SteveNash
The time has come. Maximum respect. RT @Baron_Davis: I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real. ... tmi.me/TGSBh
Kansas City Royals Pitcher Aaron Crow

Aaron Crow
@acrow43
Good for Jason Collins. I'd be proud to call him a teammate if I played in the NBA
Former NFL DE Michael Strahan

Michael Strahan
@michaelstrahan
So proud of @jasoncollins34 for having the courage to stand up and out for who he is. I support, respect and salute you!!
American actress and former model Gabrielle Union

Gabrielle Union
@itsgabrielleu
YES!RT @michaelstrahan: So proud of @jasoncollins34 for having the courage to stand up and out for who he is. I ... m.tmi.me/TH0MW
Retired Czech American tennis player and coach, Martina Navratilova

Martina Navratilova
@Martina
Well done Jason Collins- you are a brave man. And a big man at that:) 1981 was the year for me- 2013 is the year for you:)

Martina Navratilova
@Martina
It’s not easy to come out when one is still active- shouldn’t be an issue, but it is. That’s why so many don’t do it till after.
The following statement is from Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld on behalf of the team:

“We are extremely proud of Jason and support his decision to live his life proudly and openly. He has been a leader on and off the court and an outstanding teammate throughout his NBA career. Those qualities will continue to serve him both as a player and as a positive role model for others of all sexual orientation.”

More from Spike Lee

Spike Lee
@SpikeLee
Orange And Blue Skies Salutes Jason Collins. Thank You For Your Courage,A Slam Dunk Against HOMOPHOBIA.And Dat's Da "FREEDOM"Truth,Ruth.
Former NBA Player Jay Williams

Jay Williams
@RealJayWilliams
Jason Collins comes out & speaks his truth. #NBA
American pop singer Lance Bass

Lance Bass
@LanceBass
Congrats @jasoncollins34 !! Giant leap for sports - and the conversation continues! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/?mobile=no
Utah Jazz PG Earl Watson

Earl J Watson
@Earl_Watson
Great character from a great family! That's all that matters! @jasoncollins34 #respect

Vis
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
And where does the first negative tweet originate?

http://www.ksat.com/image/view/-/19938100/medRes/1/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/ft36n4/-/WallaceCover-jpg.jpg

SH-Rock
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165274/article/mike-wallace-reacts-to-jason-collins-admitting-hes-gay

NBA player Jason Collins made history Monday when became the first active professional athlete to come out of the closet.

"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center," Collins began in an essay in this week's Sports Illustrated. "I'm black. And I'm gay."

Reaction to Collins' announcement has been overwhelmingly positive -- for the most part. Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace decided the time was right to share his opinion on the subject of homosexuality.

"I'm not bashing anybody don't have anything against anyone I just don't understand it," Wallace tweeted Monday. "All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH..."

Predictably, the tweet quickly was deleted. Wallace then went into damage control.

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Wallace is a twat who shouldn't tweet.

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Should this be in the Dolphins forum?

who gives a shit what Wallace says

vrabinec
04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
lol! I'd worry more about dropped balls than this, but still, if I was a player, I wouldn't touch the subject with a ten foot pole.

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
lol! I'd worry more about dropped balls than this, but still, if I was a player, I wouldn't touch the subject with a ten foot pole.

or a ten inch pole...

Vis
04-29-2013, 02:43 PM
There's a thread in the other sports forum. Collins is sort of a half test given that he's 34 and a free agent. He may never play again. Someone under contract is more of a test but the reaction overall is encouraging.

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
anything is better than what tim hardway said..

not saying i agree with wallace, but in the age of social media, no athletes standing behind their comments..

nothing he said was wrong, there are a ton of beautiful women in this world, thats a fact, and he doesnt get why dudes wanna mess with dudes, thats his opinion...

everyone is a bunch of softies when it comes to being polticially correct..

but it looks like the steelers lost their twitter guys, wallace, mendy
does clark and woodley still tweet?

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
There's a thread in the other sports forum. Collins is sort of a half test given that he's 34 and a free agent. He may never play again. Someone under contract is more of a test but the reaction overall is encouraging.

I wonder if anyone will sign him now?
Its not like he is a super star anyway, so teams can just say he sucks that why they dont want him.

I just hope if he doesnt get a contact next year he doesnt turn around and say, its cause im gay and get sue happy on the nba

Vis
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
anything is better than what tim hardway said..

not saying i agree with wallace, but in the age of social media, no athletes standing behind their comments..

nothing he said was wrong, there are a ton of beautiful women in this world, thats a fact, and he doesnt get why dudes wanna mess with dudes, thats his opinion...

everyone is a bunch of softies when it comes to being polticially correct..

but it looks like the steelers lost their twitter guys, wallace, mendy
does clark and woodley still tweet?

Batch tweeted his support. On Wallace's tweet, it was the SMH. Alphonso Smith is the one going off.

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Batch tweeted his support. On Wallace's tweet, it was the SMH. is the one going off.

No reason to not support it, its your choice who you wanna be with..

at the end of the day you have to go home to that person not anybody else..

Cant wait for the day its a non story...

Vis
04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
No reason to not support it, its your choice who you wanna be with..

at the end of the day you have to go home to that person not anybody else..

I agree. Need the first wave of players to come out and then it will matter as much as hair styles.

The_Joker
04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm very pro-gay, but Wallace's only bad remark was the "SMH"

I don't get gays either, but hey, to each their own.

The_Joker
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
JC's fruity huh? I give half a shit. Sign a contract and get back to playing ball bro.

Vis
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Baron Davis ✔ @Baron_Davis

I am so proud of my bro @jasoncollins34 for being real. #FTheHaters http://bit.ly/12J9el5
11:10 AM - 29 Apr 2013

teegre
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Let's see if this is correct:

Wallace said something dumb. And, there is a gay basektball player.

Uh... remind me again: what is the news in that? Sounds like
water is wet" to me.

fer522
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Which head was he shaking?

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
here

let's just make this a Dolphins board

http://www.phins.com/graphics/home-sparkle-2.png

FORUM

http://www.phins.com/phorum/read.php?3,152682

Wallace should have just kept his mouth shut.. Tweeting something as he did, following the NBA players announcement was plan old foolish... Wallace manufactured the drama, and showed seriously lack of judgement.. This is our new franchise highest paid guy, the face of the franchise... Should be interesting, even Brandon Marshall kept his mouth out of trouble for 6 months...

OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS MEDIA RELATIONS

Wallace’s Tweet

“Mike Wallace has apologized for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him. Mike’s comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organization. We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.”

http://dolphinsmedia.tumblr.com/post/49197720716/miami-dolphins-statement-on-mike-wallaces-tweet

OX1947
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
I've said what Wallace said before. It was more in jest and playful, nothing to demean anyone. Come on guys, this is why this is a story still. People who get butt hurt at the slightest thing when it comes to gays or race. Need to relax.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Props to Wallace for saying that. Screw all the PC talk.

TRH
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Mendenhall. Wallace. Pouncey. And on and on and on. Why do these prima donna's feel they MUST be on Twitter??
I'd love Tomlin or another coach to step up and say "NEW rule. My team. No tweeting. Or you're fined. End of story". I'm really surprised no one's done this yet.

No problem that he said that, at all. Just NOT Twitter, Sheez

OX1947
04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
here

let's just make this a Dolphins board

http://www.phins.com/graphics/home-sparkle-2.png

FORUM

http://www.phins.com/phorum/read.php?3,152682

Wallace should have just kept his mouth shut.. Tweeting something as he did, following the NBA players announcement was plan old foolish... Wallace manufactured the drama, and showed seriously lack of judgement.. This is our new franchise highest paid guy, the face of the franchise... Should be interesting, even Brandon Marshall kept his mouth out of trouble for 6 months...

OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS MEDIA RELATIONS

Wallace’s Tweet

“Mike Wallace has apologized for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him. Mike’s comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organization. We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.”

http://dolphinsmedia.tumblr.com/post/49197720716/miami-dolphins-statement-on-mike-wallaces-tweet

See, this is how it starts. A guy can not speak how he wants, gets berated. Bullshit. If people do not care for that particular lifestyle, they should have every damn right to express it. Then there is a divide, then posts get locked and now people are worse off then before. Lots of hypocrisy out there.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM

It's a non-story because he averages 1.1 PPG.

OX1947
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM
It's a non-story because he averages 1.1 PPG.

And he is a free agent this summer. $100 bucks, no one signs him and he retires.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
And he is a free agent this summer. $100 bucks, no one signs him and he retires.

Probably came out so that someone would sign him. He's 34 and averages 1 point a game. Some team will be looking for the publicity of signing him IMO.

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
See, this is how it starts. A guy can not speak how he wants, gets berated. Bullshit. If people do not care for that particular lifestyle, they should have every damn right to express it. Then there is a divide, then posts get locked and now people are worse off then before. Lots of hypocrisy out there.

what the fuck are you babbling about?

What the hell does a Dolphins player shooting off his mouth have to do with Steelers Football?

OX1947
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM

What the hell does a Dolphins player shooting off his mouth have to do with Steelers Football?

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME!!!!!!!!

Vis
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Wallace is free to say what he wants about Collins and his sexuality. I am free to say what I want about Wallace and his asinine opinions.

Vis
04-29-2013, 04:05 PM

This should be merged with the other thread in the Sports Dimension forum

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
"We have addressed this matter with Mike"

Whatever happened to free speech?!

I refuse to be somebody I'm not in order to please the PC world that I live in. It's OK to bash Christians but not homosexuals. I don't bash anybody, but I don't support it either. Flame me all you want.

Btw GO STEELERS!

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM

I think this is happy hour ar the bar, the mods are busy

SteelerEmpire
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
You better learn to understand quickly Mike, your gonna run into plenty of "he-she's" down there in Miami. You ain't in Steel-town anymore.

OX1947
04-29-2013, 04:16 PM
I think this is happy hour ar the bar, the mods are busy

Mods allow men to be men here. No need for alcohol.

Vis
04-29-2013, 04:18 PM

I refuse to be somebody I'm not in order to please the PC world that I live in. It's OK to bash Christians but not homosexuals. I don't bash anybody, but I don't support it either. Flame me all you want.

Btw GO STEELERS!

That's because Christianity is a choice. Fine if you choose non-evidence based beliefs, just don't try to impose it on secular society.

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I can't believe my Stanley Cup sub sub thread is getting bumped for this fucking basketball shit

Penguins need their own forum, dammit!

Buddha Bus
04-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Btw GO STEELERS!

He can say whatever he wants, and so can you, but that doesn't mean there won't be repercussions for it. Most of us certainly cannot say whatever we wish in our workplace and rightfully so. Free speech has limits when you represent a company and are in a working environment. Part of the deal with professional sports figures is that they are "always on the clock" per se. Anything they say in public, especially in print/text, can come back to haunt them. They have to be careful of what they say because at all times while they are under contract, they are representing the particular franchise they play for.

Sure they can have an opinion, but it has to be within reason. What Wallace Tweeted reeks of ignorance and that's why the Tweet is now gone. The team stepped in and told him it wouldn't be tolerated. They have every right to protect their brand and to attempt to keep their employees from alienating ANY of their fan base... regardless of sex, race, color, creed, religion, or sexuality.

So yes, he does have free speech, but it doesn't mean he has free rein.

Vis
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Killer, that post is as true as the one about people riding dinosaurs

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Killer, that post is as true as the one about people riding dinosaurs

what post?

you going blind

OX1947
04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
what post?

you going blind

You sure like to ask a lot of questions. Embrace the world, relax. Maybe go out and get some baby back ribs and chicken wings, eh eh eh, am I right? Right? Good.

Vis
04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
what post?

you going blind

It doesn't cause blindness.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
It doesn't cause blindness.

It does if you poke yourself in the eyes with it.

ETL
04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know what Mike Wallace doesn't get. Some guys are just really attractive and hot. Excuse me for having eyes but some men are just bootaliscious.

( I am ROTFing right now for reading what I just wrote)

Bayz101
04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't know what Mike Wallace doesn't get. Some guys are just really attractive and hot. Excuse me for having eyes but some men are just bootaliscious.

HAHHAHAHHAA. That's awesome. :sofunny:

Bayz101
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Threads merged.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
That's because Christianity is a choice. Fine if you choose non-evidence based beliefs, just don't try to impose it on secular society.

So is living a gay lifestyle. See, you already come at me in a bashing tone. Proved my point.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Well, you are a fine looking dude.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
He can say whatever he wants, and so can you, but that doesn't mean there won't be repercussions for it. Most of us certainly cannot say whatever we wish in our workplace and rightfully so. Free speech has limits when you represent a company and are in a working environment. Part of the deal with professional sports figures is that they are "always on the clock" per se. Anything they say in public, especially in print/text, can come back to haunt them. They have to be careful of what they say because at all times while they are under contract, they are representing the particular franchise they play for.

Sure they can have an opinion, but it has to be within reason. What Wallace Tweeted reeks of ignorance and that's why the Tweet is now gone. The team stepped in and told him it wouldn't be tolerated. They have every right to protect their brand and to attempt to keep their employees from alienating ANY of their fan base... regardless of sex, race, color, creed, religion, or sexuality.

So yes, he does have free speech, but it doesn't mean he has free rein.

Because anyone who doesn't agree with the mainstream is ignorant? I'm not defending Wallace here, just his right to have an opinion. It was a tweet, not a letter on corporate letterhead.

And who exactly defines whether an opinion is within reason? The government?

FrancoLambert
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
So is living a gay lifestyle. See, you already come at me in a bashing tone. Proved my point.

Not trying to instigate anything here, but living a gay lifestyle seems to be something that comes more from something deep inside an individual and not just a simple "yes-no" conscious choice decision as you describe. :noidea:

Bayz101
04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Another non-story. I mean, i'm glad you're proud of your sexuality, but don't think for one minute you're more special than any of the other thousands of athletes. You don't see straight athletes running around saying "I like vagina!" because, well, no one gives a shit what they like! Do well for your team and you'll have the love of your fans. It's as simple as that.

Same as athletes being "politically active". You have every right to be active politically, but all people care about is how you do as an athlete. If you go around thumping your chest politically it's sort of unnecessary.

More people will come out over the next couple of months, and i'll be busy trying to find fucks to give, because honestly, you're no different in my eyes. Just like blacks are no different than whites, and i'm SURE AS HELL not about to treat homosexuals any different than straights! I may believe in god, but I don't recall god ever giving me the right to judge anyone other than myself!

Anyway. Good for you, Jason.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Not trying to instigate anything here, but living a gay lifestyle seems to be something that comes more from something deep inside an individual and not just a simple "yes-no" conscious choice decision as you describe. :noidea:

I'm not trying to instigate a religious debate either bro, but the same can be said about one's religious convictions. My ONLY point is that society picks and chooses whom we are supposed to be tolerant of and whom we may be outspoken against. I'm just saying that I don't subscribe to that and never will. Wallace didn't hurt anyone with his comments and shouldn't have been reprimanded by the Dolphins. Let's face it, they were only concerned about image and negative publicity; they don't give a crap about fairness and human equality.

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM

What you don't know is a lot

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm not trying to instigate a religious debate either bro, but the same can be said about one's religious convictions. My ONLY point is that society picks and chooses whom we are supposed to be tolerant of and whom we may be outspoken against. I'm just saying that I don't subscribe to that and never will. Wallace didn't hurt anyone with his comments and shouldn't have been reprimanded by the Dolphins. Let's face it, they were only concerned about image and negative publicity; they don't give a crap about fairness and human equality.

He does hurt people. The reason gays stay in the closet is fear. That fear is real because the ignorant taliban of any creed is dangerous.

ETL
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't think Gay people choose their gay lifestyle but its not genetic either. If it was then the "gay gene" would have died out long ago as it is not a gene that promotes reproduction.

If you can't get a handle on it - think of it as a fetish. Ox is an ass man, Hawaii like breasts, bayz likes long legs, eb is into eyes, Rex Ryan likes feet and teegre likes short black safeties from Florida. Why? Who knows - and no one will ever figure it out either.

OX1947
04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey, I gotta question for everyone. Is a guy still gay if he does gay for pay?

OX1947
04-29-2013, 05:43 PM
I don't think Gay people choose their gay lifestyle but its not genetic either. If it was then the "gay gene" would have died out long ago as it is not a gene that promotes reproduction.

If you can't get a handle on it - think of it as a fetish. Ox is an ass man, Hawaii like breasts, bayz likes long legs, eb is into eyes, Rex Ryan likes feet and teegre likes short black safeties from Florida. Why? Who knows - and no one will ever figure it out either.

How the hell did you know I was an ass man? Have you been tapping into my rotary phone?

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM

The argument that it would die out is a misunderstanding of genetics. It would be true to say that homosexuality isn't the manifestation of the gene that creates an advantage but many genes or combinations of genes have complex and varied manifestations.

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey, I gotta question for everyone. Is a guy still gay if he does gay for pay?

you are what you think is funny

OX1947
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
you are what you think is funny

But I'm not gay. Not even a little. Not even anything.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Because anyone who doesn't agree with the mainstream is ignorant? I'm not defending Wallace here, just his right to have an opinion. It was a tweet, not a letter on corporate letterhead.

Did I say anything about disagreeing with the mainstream? His ignorance is in the statement with all of these beautiful women that he can't understand why a guy would want to be with another guy. Of course you don't see it... you aren't gay, Wallace. That and the SMH at the end.

If he had just stated his beliefs that he didn't agree with it or was against it for religious reasons, I doubt the Tweet would have been removed. Others have expressed similar stances regarding the issue without saying something as stupid as what he said.

And I explained in my post that he's an employee representing that organization 24-7, and is expected to behave as such. It doesn't matter what he says behind closed doors in his own home, but once he goes public with it, he's subject to the judgement of his employer. It's no different than if someone went online and bitched openly about their job in a Tweet and their boss saw it. People have been fired for that kind of stuff and people have also been prevented from acquiring jobs because of the stupid shit they post on Facebook when an employer searches them out in the hiring process. Not saying it's right, just that that's how it is.

Nobody said he doesn't have a right to his opinion, just that he should be smarter about how he expresses it.

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
But I'm not gay. Not even a little. Not even anything.

Not what I meant.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Another non-story. I mean, i'm glad you're proud of your sexuality, but don't think for one minute you're more special than any of the other thousands of athletes. You don't see straight athletes running around saying "I like vagina!" because, well, no one gives a shit what they like! Do well for your team and you'll have the love of your fans. It's as simple as that.

Same as athletes being "politically active". You have every right to be active politically, but all people care about is how you do as an athlete. If you go around thumping your chest politically it's sort of unnecessary.

More people will come out over the next couple of months, and i'll be busy trying to find fucks to give, because honestly, you're no different in my eyes. Just like blacks are no different than whites, and i'm SURE AS HELL not about to treat homosexuals any different than straights! I may believe in god, but I don't recall god ever giving me the right to judge anyone other than myself!

Anyway. Good for you, Jason.

The huge difference is that gays are fighting for equal rights in this country currently, straights are not. That's like saying "I'm glad you're proud that you're black, but us whites don't go around raising a stink in public about our color" back in the 50's and 60's. The only way they will bring about change is through civil action and promoting awareness. Women did it during suffrage as well. It's not a new thing.

This whole country was founded on fighting for what was right. I'm sure the people of England couldn't understand why our forefathers threw tea in the Boston Harbor and started a war. They were just dandy bowing down to their king.

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
was listening to them talk about collins on the radio and this came to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-UH2qIWPU

Vis
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Study Finds Epigenetics, Not Genetics, Underlies Homosexuality
11 December 2012

KNOXVILLE – Epigenetics - how gene expression is regulated by temporary switches, called epi-marks - appears to be a critical and overlooked factor contributing to the long-standing puzzle of why homosexuality occurs.

According to the study, published online today in The Quarterly Review of Biology, sex-specific epi-marks, which normally do not pass between generations and are thus "erased," can lead to homosexuality when they escape erasure and are transmitted from father to daughter or mother to son.

From an evolutionary standpoint, homosexuality is a trait that would not be expected to develop and persist in the face of Darwinian natural selection. Homosexuality is nevertheless common for men and women in most cultures. Previous studies have shown that homosexuality runs in families, leading most researchers to presume a genetic underpinning of sexual preference. However, no major gene for homosexuality has been found despite numerous studies searching for a genetic connection.

In the current study, researchers from the Working Group on Intragenomic Conflict at the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS) integrated evolutionary theory with recent advances in the molecular regulation of gene expression and androgen-dependent sexual development to produce a biological and mathematical model that delineates the role of epigenetics in homosexuality.

Epi-marks constitute an extra layer of information attached to our genes' backbones that regulates their expression. While genes hold the instructions, epi-marks direct how those instructions are carried out - when, where and how much a gene is expressed during development. Epi-marks are usually produced anew each generation, but recent evidence demonstrates that they sometimes carry over between generations and thus can contribute to similarity among relatives, resembling the effect of shared genes.

Sex-specific epi-marks produced in early fetal development protect each sex from the substantial natural variation in testosterone that occurs during later fetal development. Sex-specific epi-marks stop girl fetuses from being masculinized when they experience atypically high testosterone, and vice versa for boy fetuses. Different epi-marks protect different sex-specific traits from being masculinized or feminized – some affect the genitals, others sexual identity, and yet others affect sexual partner preference. However, when these epi-marks are transmitted across generations from fathers to daughters or mothers to sons, they may cause reversed effects, such as the feminization of some traits in sons, such as sexual preference, and similarly a partial masculinization of daughters.

The study solves the evolutionary riddle of homosexuality, finding that "sexually antagonistic" epi-marks, which normally protect parents from natural variation in sex hormone levels during fetal development, sometimes carryover across generations and cause homosexuality in opposite-sex offspring. The mathematical modeling demonstrates that genes coding for these epi-marks can easily spread in the population because they always increase the fitness of the parent but only rarely escape erasure and reduce fitness in offspring.

"Transmission of sexually antagonistic epi-marks between generations is the most plausible evolutionary mechanism of the phenomenon of human homosexuality," said the study's co-author Sergey Gavrilets, NIMBioS' associate director for scientific activities and a professor at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville.

The paper's other authors are William Rice, a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and Urban Friberg, a professor at Uppsala University in Sweden.

http://www.nimbios.org/press/FS_homosexuality

Vis
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/

Do Animals Exhibit Homosexuality?
ARASH FEREYDOONI MARCH 14, 2012 0
Recent research has found that homosexual behavior in animals may be much more common than previously thought. Although Darwin’s theory of natural selection predicts an evolutionary disadvantage for animals that fail to pass along their traits through reproduction with the opposite sex, the validity of this part of his theory has been questioned with the discoveries of homosexual behavior in more than 10% of prevailing species throughout the world.

Human beings are not the only animals to exhibit homosexual behavior. Photo courtesy of the globalanimal.org.
Currently, homosexual behavior has been documented in over 450 different animal species worldwide. For instance, observations indicate that Humboldt, King, Gentoo, and Adélie penguins of the same sex engage in “mating rituals like entwining their necks and vocalizing to one another.” In addition, male giraffes have also been observed engaging in homosexual behavior by rubbing their necks against each others’ bodies while ignoring the females. Yet another example is lizards of the genus Teiidae, which can copulate with both male and female mates.

Biologists Nathan W. Bailey and Marlene Zuk from the University of California, Riverside have investigated the evolutionary consequences and implications of same-sex behavior, and their findings demonstrate benefits to what seems to be an evolutionary paradox. For example, their studies of the Laysan albatross show that female-female pairing can increase fitness by taking advantage of the excess of females and shortage of males in the population and provide superior care for offspring. Moreover, same-sex pairing in many species actually alleviates the likelihood of divorce and curtails the pressure on the opposite sex by allowing members to exhibit more flexibility to form partnerships, which in turn strengthens social bonds and reduces competition. Thus, not only do animals exhibit homosexuality, but the existence of this behavior is quite prevalent and may also confer certain evolutionary advantages.

Vis
04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
To give the religious myths their turn:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/321492_10151412069511275_356776060_n.png

ETL
04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
The argument that it would die out is a misunderstanding of genetics. It would be true to say that homosexuality isn't the manifestation of the gene that creates an advantage but many genes or combinations of genes have complex and varied manifestations.

So you think it's a multifactorial trait. I can appreciate that. But being an ass guy or a breast guy may be multifactorial as well with some genetic properties. I just think its a simple matter of preference.

What is important is that I don't think they choose to be gay. But if it was a personal choice - I wouldn't judge them either.

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 06:13 PM
So you think it's a multifactorial trait. I can appreciate that. But being an ass guy or a breast guy may be multifactorial as well with some genetic properties. I just think its a simple matter of preference.

What is important is that I don't think they choose to be gay. But if it was a personal choice - I wouldn't judge them either.

http://westernbandit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bumbum-.jpeg

what were you saying about rear ends?

The_Joker
04-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Btw GO STEELERS!

I'm the one bashing the Christians here! *Just kidding*

But seriously, you can bash gays, it's people's rights. Granted, it's ignorant, rude and bigoted, but it's their rights.

The_Joker
04-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Being gay is a not really a choice. Ever talked to a fruity bro before?

The_Joker
04-29-2013, 07:26 PM

I like thighs :)

SteelCityMom
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM

Btw GO STEELERS!

Wallace's free speech is still intact. Last I checked, Congress hasn't passed any new speech laws.

Vis
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
free tweetch

SteelCityMom
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Just like being straight is a choice? Are you sexually attracted to both males and females, but just CHOOSE to be with females? Or is that just how you were born?

In this instance (and every other case like it) it's based off of contractual employment agreements. Employers are not the government.

SteelCityMom
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
free tweetch

Is it happy hour on the corner already?

Fire Haley
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
You sure like to ask a lot of questions. Embrace the world, relax. Maybe go out and get some baby back ribs and chicken wings, eh eh eh, am I right? Right?

I ask the questions around here

I'm on a mission from gawd

Go Pens!

Vis
04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Is it happy hour on the corner already?

I claim first usage for the OED

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM

http://www.ayurvedalive.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/5-beautiful-eyes-www.cute-pictures.blogspot.com_.jpg

ebsteelers
04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RyZ4Zf4Dk

Bayz101
04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
My boob senses are tingling. And, well. The long-leg senses, too, thanks to ETL.

cubanstogie
04-29-2013, 11:23 PM

christianity is a choice, but choosing to suck dick isn't. Seriously?

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 11:42 PM
What you don't know is a lot

As there is with you.

desertsteel
04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
To give the religious myths their turn:

There goes your bigotry again.

Lady Steel
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Has anyone but me noticed the background on Wallace's twitter page? :doh:

https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid

SteelCityMom
04-30-2013, 12:51 AM

Yup, that's pretty much it.

Do you choose to be straight?

Rabbit
04-30-2013, 03:07 AM

And the award for most narrow-minded statement of the year goes to...

Vis
04-30-2013, 05:12 AM

No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. .

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2RwLIAoXU

Those two quotes above are cause and effect. Let's let homosexuals out of the closet. And since the closets are empty, lets drive the remaining bigots in.

Fire Haley
04-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Actually, they should all be dumped in the Locker Room as it has nothing to do with sports.

Just like a bombing at a marathon has nothing to do with the sport of running.

Do I always have to be the only adult in the room?

Bayz101
04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Alright everyone, I have an announcement to make.

I'm white, and i'm a proud heterosexual.

What? No parade!? :chuckle:

Vis
04-30-2013, 07:33 AM

What? No parade!? :chuckle:

Did you take a risk doing that? Is there some iron age book giving bad people the justification to vilify you for anything in your announcement? The very real problems gay people have to this day because of the attitudes of others is not funny.

Vis
04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
If you want to see how not funny the bigotry still is go read the steelernation thread on this same topic

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 07:56 AM
The pressure that the thought police try to impose upon you is very real too. I am not a gay basher by any means, but I do not support their agenda either. That's my right. Deal with it.

The sooner that we can stop talking about a player who averages ONE point a game the better. He can live his life however he wants. It's a non-story to me. It doesn't belong on ESPN 24/7.

Vis
04-30-2013, 08:11 AM
The pressure that the thought police try to impose upon you is very real too. I am not a gay basher by any means, but I do not support their agenda either. That's my right. Deal with it.

The sooner that we can stop talking about a player who averages ONE point a game the better. He can live his life however he wants. It's a non-story to me. It doesn't belong on ESPN 24/7.

You mean the agenda of being free to be themselves? How that must grate on you.

The reason it's a story is that the many gay players in all sports still feel that they have to lie about who they are because of who you and people like you are.

If this was a non-story to you you could have skipped the thread.

SteelCityMom
04-30-2013, 08:12 AM
If you want to see how not funny the bigotry still is go read the steelernation thread on this same topic

Exactly.

Here's some lovely gems I've stumbled across on FB.

I'm willing to bet he was "recruited" by the gay movement.

I am thinking AIDS is a good thing......

it's the deconstruction of our society...and our commie back door bandit in the White House is all for it...

I had to shake my head at some lady who went on a huge rant about how she is so fed up with "the gays" having their stupid parades and how her city cut some armed forces day parade in half...like it was "the gays" fault that her city is probably financially strapped and can't afford it.

People are disgusting sometimes. Anyone who claims this is a non-issue is kidding themselves.

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 08:17 AM
You mean the agenda of being free to be themselves? How that must grate on you.

The reason it's a story is that the many gay players in all sports still feel that they have to lie about who they are because of who you and people like you are.

If this was a non-story to you you could have skipped the thread.

And many people are afraid to express their religious beliefs because of people like you.

It's a non sports story. I didn't say that the topic wasn't relevant. I just don't tune in to ESPN to hear about someone's sex life - gay or straight.

Vis
04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
And many people are afraid to express their religious beliefs because of people like you.

It's a non sports story. I didn't say that the topic wasn't relevant. I just don't tune in to ESPN to hear about someone's sex life - gay or straight.

Religion is a cover. It's as much a cover for this bigotry as it is a cover for antisemitism or throwing acid in a little girl's face for going to school. Religion should not excuse the infringement of another's freedoms and people like me will continue to fight against just that.

Fire Haley
04-30-2013, 08:40 AM

suuuuuuuuuuuure you are, that's what all the boys say

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o267/bitursweetxo_x0/hairyass.jpg

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Religion is a cover.

You really expose yourself to be a bigot when you make stereotypical comments about people different from you.

Some gay men molest small boys too but I don't think that all gay men are pedophiles.

It must suck to be just like the people you accuse. Your agenda has nothing to do with equal rights, it's simply a pro-gay agenda. That's fine. I'm a Christian. Are you a homosexual? If you are, that's cool. Just because I don't agree with your lifestyle doesn't mean I can't show respect to you.

Bayz101
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
suuuuuuuuuuuure you are, that's what all the boys say

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o267/bitursweetxo_x0/hairyass.jpg

Killer,

Please keep your personal pictures in the strip district.

Sincerely,

Everyone. :sofunny:

Vis
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
You really expose yourself to be a bigot when you make stereotypical comments about people different from you.

Some gay men molest small boys too but I don't think that all gay men are pedophiles.

It must suck to be just like the people you accuse. Your agenda has nothing to do with equal rights, it's simply a pro-gay agenda. That's fine. I'm a Christian. Are you a homosexual? If you are, that's cool. Just because I don't agree with your lifestyle doesn't mean I can't show respect to you.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

I'm straight but my brother is gay.

When you eat shrimp you ignore the bible. When you don't kill a woman for not being a virgin on her wedding night you ignore the bible. When you then cherry pick a verse on gays you do it for some other reason than devotion to that damn book because devotion would have you following it all. What's that other reason?

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Religion is an insult to human dignity.

You continue to demonstrate the only point that I make about this topic. You find it so easy to insult others who are different than you but decry those who do the same towards gay people. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Bayz101
04-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Did you take a risk doing that? Is there some iron age book giving bad people the justification to vilify you for anything in your announcement? The very real problems gay people have to this day because of the attitudes of others is not funny.

Just like being an African-American, being gay shouldn't be something that a person needs to announce. I believe people should be able to make their own decisions as far as sexuality goes, and nowhere in the bible does it command that you play god and judge other people.

My announcement that i'm a heterosexual SHOULD be as relevant as the announcement that Jason Collins made, right?

I'm just tired of this debate, in all honesty, and as a christian, i'm tired of people constantly being judgmental. It isn't our jobs to play god.

Vis
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM
You continue to demonstrate the only point that I make about this topic. You find it so easy to insult others who are different than you but decry those who do the same towards gay people. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

No, I'm pointing out why I have a problem with what people do in the name of religion. I don't care who you genuflect to in your home be it jesus, joseph smith or athena. But you won't keep it there. you want society as a whole to comport to your beliefs like yours are more valid than a belief in Poseidon.

Vis
04-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Just like being an African-American, being gay shouldn't be something that a person needs to announce. I believe people should be able to make their own decisions as far as sexuality goes, and nowhere in the bible does it command that you play god and judge other people.

My announcement that i'm a heterosexual SHOULD be as relevant as the announcement that Jason Collins made, right?

I'm just tired of this debate, in all honesty, and as a christian, i'm tired of people constantly being judgmental. It isn't our jobs to play god.

It shouldn't be but it is until a player on the Steelers can bring his boyfriend to a team event without raising an eyebrow. We aren't there yet.

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
No, I'm pointing out why I have a problem with what people do in the name of religion. I don't care who you genuflect to in your home be it jesus, joseph smith or athena. But you won't keep it there. you want society as a whole to comport to your beliefs like yours are more valid than a belief in Poseidon.

Well I disagree with the same things you listed. There are fringe lunatics in every lifestyle and we shouldn't group everyone together based on the actions of a few.

desertsteel
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
It shouldn't be but it is until a player on the Steelers can bring his boyfriend to a team event without raising an eyebrow. We aren't there yet.

I'm not invited to those parties, but as for me, everyone is welcome in Steeler Nation - both gay and straight. The black and gold is stronger than any differences we may have.

Rabbit
04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
@ complaints about PC culture, "this doesn't offend anyone", I don't force my "agenda", etc.

It's easy to say these things when you're a heterosexual white male. We were born into the largest and most accepted percentile. Now, I'm not saying that we should all feel some form of guilt for that. But it's impossible from where we are to know the struggle of those fighting for their rights and to be accepted. Why is gay athletes coming out a big issue in the media? Because they're allowed to be themselves. Because they're taking steps towards it becoming a non-issue in the future. Right now the culture of professional sports is, unfortunately, saddled with Chris Culliver's and Mike Wallace's. And as long as that intolerance exists, fear will remain.

The_Joker
04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
There goes your bigotry again.

:coffee:

The_Joker
04-30-2013, 11:56 AM
This whole thing should be a non-story.

If Holmes came out as fruity, would anyone wanna send Lombardi 6 back? I don't think so. Who should care?

MACH1
04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Enough of the baiting. This goes for everyone. Final warning.

Well, we're handing on 30-day vacations from this point on, so I hope it's worth it.

Fair warning the same applies here also.

The_Joker
04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Fair warning the same applies here also.

:rulez:

Fire Haley
04-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I see taunting!

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/microdot22/FishSlappingDance.gif

Vis
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Billy is kicking me

Fire Haley
04-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Vis needs whacked too

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3513533/monty-python-fish-slap-o.gif

Vis
04-30-2013, 01:44 PM
clM1i88s-7Q

teegre
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
The Wallace thread got closed, as I was typing this... and I'd like to add a little to the conversation.

Mods, feel free to close this... but, since I had written it... I figured I'd post it.

SIN...
First of all, it is not my place to state whether something is or is not a sin. Whether I think that "being gay" is a sin is not important to the discussion. For the Atheiests, it's not a sin; for the Cathloics, it is a sin. Who am I to tell anynone else what is or is not a sin???

With that out of the way, let's assume that one's religion does indeed believe that "being gay" is a sin. Again, let's assume that it is a "sin" (I am not at all saying that this is true, but saying this for argument's sake). Well, using a religion that I know a little about (Chrisitanity), I want to bring up a few major points from that religion.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Assuming it's a sin... who are YOU to judge anyone else? That is for God & God alone ...right?

"Let ye without sin cast the first stone."
I guess that we'll be waiting a long time...

Most importantly, (assuming that "being gay" is a sin) please, someone tell me how "being gay" is any more or less of a sin that premarital sex? I am sure that there are plenty of people (specifically, professional athletes) who have had premarital sex... and yet, they are not being harangued as sinners.

How about "coveting thy neighbor's wife"? I am sure that every single one of us has looked at a picture of some woman (or man) other than our wife (or husband) in a lascivious manner. Is that not a sin? And, before you tell me that it is a "minor sin", it is one the effing Commandmentsl; so I'd say it's pretty effing major. Likewise, "taking then Lord's name in vain"... who is not guilty of that!?! Or, how about "Keeping the sabbath holy"... uh... football is played on the sabbath. so, aren't ALL football players sinners???

Yep, looks like we are all sinning... a lot. So, put down the stones.

SUMMATION:
Can we move past the whole "being gay is a sin" thing???

FREEDOM OF SPEECH...
People state their opinion on gayness, and then cry foul: "I have the freedom of speech."

Indeed, you do.

But, why comment at all?

A man is gay.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being gay."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is black.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being black."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is white.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being white."
Why say anything, Joe?

In other words, people are commenting on this situation & saying, "Wallace was only stating his opinion... just like the gay said that he is gay." NO, it isdifferent. The gay person is saying that he is gay... because he is gay; it is not his opinion. Just like if a black dude says that he is black, or a white dude says that he is white; it's not an opinion.

More importantly, if Joe Wright were to state, "I hate n*ggers" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called a racist. Likewise, when Joe Wright states that he "dispaproves of gays" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called intolerant.

Again... being gay is not his opinion; it is who he is. It would be like someone saying that they are white or black or whatever... it is who they are.

As far as the whole "it's not fair that white people can get ridiculed"... come on man!!! As Chris Rock stated, "Here's how good it is to be white: there's not a white person in here that would switch places with me... and I'm RICH!!!"

Actually, even better is Louis CK's rant about how great it is to be white. It's funny... because, it's true. ("White people problems"... like being called names on an internet forum.)

SUMMATION:
Opinion ("I don't like gays") is different that stating who you are ("I am gay").

A person has the freedom of speech to air their opinions, but other people have the freedom to disagree with those opinions.

Sooo... why don't we all just keeps our comments to ourselves!?!

OX1947
04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
The Wallace thread got closed, as I was typing this... and I'd like to add a little to the conversation.

Mods, feel free to close this... but, since I had written it... I figured I'd post it.

SIN...
First of all, it is not my place to state whether something is or is not a sin. Whether I think that "being gay" is a sin is not important to the discussion. For the Atheiests, it's not a sin; for the Cathloics, it is a sin. Who am I to tell anynone else what is or is not a sin???

With that out of the way, let's assume that one's religion does indeed believe that "being gay" is a sin. Again, let's assume that it is a "sin" (I am not at all saying that this is true, but saying this for argument's sake). Well, using a religion that I know a little about (Chrisitanity), I want to bring up a few major points from that religion.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Assuming it's a sin... who are YOU to judge anyone else? That is for God & God alone ...right?

"Let ye without sin cast the first stone."
I guess that we'll be waiting a long time...

Most importantly, (assuming that "being gay" is a sin) please, someone tell me how "being gay" is any more or less of a sin that premarital sex? I am sure that there are plenty of people (specifically, professional athletes) who have had premarital sex... and yet, they are not being harangued as sinners.

How about "coveting thy neighbor's wife"? I am sure that every single one of us has looked at a picture of some woman (or man) other than our wife (or husband) in a lascivious manner. Is that not a sin? And, before you tell me that it is a "minor sin", it is one the effing Commandmentsl; so I'd say it's pretty effing major. Likewise, "taking then Lord's name in vain"... who is not guilty of that!?! Or, how about "Keeping the sabbath holy"... uh... football is played on the sabbath. so, aren't ALL football players sinners???

Yep, looks like we are all sinning... a lot. So, put down the stones.

SUMMATION:
Can we move past the whole "being gay is a sin" thing???

FREEDOM OF SPEECH...
People state their opinion on gayness, and then cry foul: "I have the freedom of speech."

Indeed, you do.

But, why comment at all?

A man is gay.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being gay."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is black.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being black."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is white.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being white."
Why say anything, Joe?

In other words, people are commenting on this situation & saying, "Wallace was only stating his opinion... just like the gay said that he is gay." NO, it isdifferent. The gay person is saying that he is gay... because he is gay; it is not his opinion. Just like if a black dude says that he is black, or a white dude says that he is white; it's not an opinion.

More importantly, if Joe Wright were to state, "I hate n*ggers" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called a racist. Likewise, when Joe Wright states that he "dispaproves of gays" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called intolerant.

Again... being gay is not his opinion; it is who he is. It would be like someone saying that they are white or black or whatever... it is who they are.

As far as the whole "it's not fair that white people can get ridiculed"... come on man!!! As Chris Rock stated, "Here's how good it is to be white: there's not a white person in here that would switch places with me... and I'm RICH!!!"

Actually, even better is Louis CK's rant about how great it is to be white. It's funny... because, it's true. ("White people problems"... like being called names on an internet forum.)

SUMMATION:
Opinion ("I don't like gays") is different that stating who you are ("I am gay").

A person has the freedom of speech to air their opinions, but other people have the freedom to disagree with those opinions.

Sooo... why don't we all just keeps our comments to ourselves!?!

No.

Vis
04-30-2013, 04:14 PM
The worst sin may just be quoting the entirety of a lengthy post to respond with one word.

The_Joker
04-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Good thing I don't believe in a metaphysical sin :D

Buddha Bus
04-30-2013, 04:31 PM
1sONfxPCTU0

teegre
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
I was thinking of the exact same thing.

teegre
04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
As I mentioned earlier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

lloydwoodson
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Why didn't Jason Collins have a better NBA career?

He never averaged even 7 ppg in a season. I remember him being a good college player and then I stopped watching basketball. Stanford had a good team.

Collins only averaged 0.7 ppg this season... is the Washington Wizards front office bigoted if he is cut? Are you legally allowed to cut the first openly gay professional athlete?

Jarron Collins is standing by his gay brother as he should. How many times will he be mistaken for his identical twin gay brother in the years ahead?

Vis
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
He's not under contract. He will get a tryout. He may get a contract for the year or a few 10 day contracts. He isn't a player who's paid to score. He's the hockey enforcer. His job is to foul the star.

lloydwoodson
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
He's not under contract. He will get a tryout. He may get a contract for the year or a few 10 day contracts. He isn't a player who's paid to score. He's the hockey enforcer. His job is to foul the star.

Hahaha! Foul the star. Too funny.

lloydwoodson
04-30-2013, 05:36 PM
The Steelers already have an openly Gay player who I am glad to have back from Arizona (but only to play the nickel! lol).

http://i41.tinypic.com/65xuoi.jpg

Where is the Gay meter for this thread? C'mon yall!

Vis
04-30-2013, 05:42 PM
play the nickel? I'm not familiar with that euphemism

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
And where does the first negative tweet originate?

http://www.ksat.com/image/view/-/19938100/medRes/1/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/ft36n4/-/WallaceCover-jpg.jpg

I can't agree with him more.

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Btw GO STEELERS!

AMEN Brother!!!!

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM

So is homosexuality. What's your point?

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
>>it's the deconstruction of our society...and our commie back door bandit in the White House is all for it...<<

So true!!! And the same man that says "God Bless you for your work" to killing many thousands of innocent babies. It's beyond a travesty.

Vis
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

My point is most people outgrow their imaginary friends. Since you have already shown that you don't believe in reason, there's no use trying to educate you. Make no mistake, you are in dire need of educating. I just don't think you're worth the time. Being called "faith" should garner stupidity and malice no more respect than similar stupidity and malice is shown in any other context. Therefore you receive none from me.

Vis
05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: "Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being." Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible.

The_Joker
05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: "Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being." Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible.

GASP! Be kind? Religion? You're not serious, are you ;)

The_Joker
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
>>it's the deconstruction of our society...and our commie back door bandit in the White House is all for it...<<

So true!!! And the same man that says "God Bless you for your work" to killing many thousands of innocent babies. It's beyond a travesty.

You Christians keep saying that word... I don't think you know what it means.

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Oh yes we do. The libs don't know what it means and how serious it is.

Vis
05-01-2013, 05:08 PM
NBA player Jason Collins received plenty of support from the professional sports community after coming out as gay in a Sports Illustrated cover story this week.

For many athletes, that support came via Twitter. Former Green Bay Packers safety LeRoy Butler was one of those athletes, tweeting a message of congratulations to Collins.

It was a gesture of goodwill that led to some trouble. We'll let Butler explain ...

Butler elaborated on the situation in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Wednesday.

"This is what bothers me the most," Butler said. "They said, 'If you ask for forgiveness and remove the tweet and you say something to the effect that you don't congratulate (Collins) then we'll let you do the engagement and get the speaker's fee', and I said 'I'm not doing that.'

"Every gay and lesbian person will say 'You know, LeRoy doesn't speak up for the weak or the silenced. He doesn't stand for anything as a man and he did it for money.' Why would you ask me to reduce my integrity like that?"

Butler later tweeted he received an apology from the church, but said it was "mainly thanking me for not releasing the church name."

That sounds about right.

leroy butler ‏@leap36 17h
FYI the fee was 8500$,then I was told if i removed the tweet, and apologize and ask god forgiveness, I can have the event, I said no,
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Then I was told, because I said congrats to Jason Collins on twitter, I said really? we have a contract, he said check the moral cause,
Expand
Wow, I was schedule to speak at a church in WI, and a member said that the pastor wants to cancel my event, I said ok why?
Expand

Vis
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
The idea that any one of our religions represents the infallible word of the One True God requires an encyclopedic ignorance of history, mythology, and art even to be entertained.

no society in human history ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs

Vis
05-01-2013, 05:24 PM
“The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it”

zqDC2S8Kw64

Fire Haley
05-01-2013, 05:29 PM
With all this gay talk....

Let me state for the record, I am all for women's rights too - lesbian porn is hot

Vis
05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
With all this gay talk....

Let me state for the record, I am all for women's rights too - lesbian porn is hot

Ron White and Diamond Dave disagree

SteelCityMom
05-01-2013, 05:46 PM

No, most people in the US really don't understand. We live in a corporatist society here...that's about the farthest thing from communism.

People in Russia and other countries that have or have had actual communist governments laugh at us for saying stupid shit like that. There are people in Canada, Australia, and England that think Obama is too conservative lol. It's a catch phrase for people who don't know how to argue political policy and are only interested in furthering division in the country.

*Disclaimer: I am not an Obama supporter. I'm not a Republican supporter either (for the most part). 2 sides of the same damn coin.

SteelCityMom
05-01-2013, 05:48 PM
It's going to end up just like the fight for interracial marriage rights. It'll probably end up in the courts and people will just have to deal with the fact that two people who have no bearing on your own life whatsoever are going to be able to sign the same kind of contract that you can. Big fucking whoop. Life will go on for everyone.

SteelCityMom
05-01-2013, 05:51 PM

No one has answered me yet when I've asked this...maybe you will.

Do you choose to be heterosexual?

steelax04
05-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Come on Mom... you know it's God's will that we're all straight. The gays only decide to be gay because they're under the spell of the devil and are worshippers of all that is evil in the world. Gay people couldn't be good people or love each other as much as straight people.

I made it about halfway through that before I started chuckling.

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM

I DO choose to be heterosexual. I love crotches WAAAAAAAAAAY too much for my barn door to swing in the opposite direction.

Bayz101
05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I DO choose to be heterosexual. I love crotches WAAAAAAAAAAY too much for my barn door to swing in the opposite direction.

Buddha isn't online, Cap. His "senses' only tingle when he's online. :sofunny:

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 08:18 PM
No, most people in the US really don't understand. We live in a corporatist society here...that's about the farthest thing from communism.

People in Russia and other countries that have or have had actual communist governments laugh at us for saying stupid shit like that. There are people in Canada, Australia, and England that think Obama is too conservative lol. It's a catch phrase for people who don't know how to argue political policy and are only interested in furthering division in the country.

*Disclaimer: I am not an Obama supporter. I'm not a Republican supporter either (for the most part). 2 sides of the same damn coin.

That's not necessarily true Mom. Here's why I say that. I work in a call center and we do things for the Conservative/Republican causes and I have talked to several people from Russa who have said they recognize that Ovomit is trying to turn us into a dictorial/communist state. Hell, he was raised by commies and marxist parents and relatives! That is common knowledge.

steelax04
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM

:sofunny:

You better do some keigels to tighten it up if it's a barn door! :chuckle:

caplovestroyp43
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Buddha isn't online, Cap. His "senses' only tingle when he's online. :sofunny:

HILLARIOUS!!!!!!:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

desertsteel
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
JERRY: Contact is the test, if it moves, as a result of contact.
GEORGE: Are you sure?
JERRY: That's what a gym teacher once told me.

SteelCityMom
05-01-2013, 08:31 PM

Lol...as funny as that is, you're basically admitting that you're sexually attracted to women as well, you just choose not to act on it.

Only other rational logic here is that you're just attracted to men, and there's really no choice in it. Sort of like you don't choose what you like to eat, you just like what you like. I know I couldn't ever choose to not like steak and lobster, and I couldn't choose to like cold pasta salads. I either like them or I don't. It's the same principle for who you are sexually attracted to.

That's not necessarily true Mom. Here's why I say that. I work in a call center and we do things for the Conservative/Republican causes and I have talked to several people from Russa who have said they recognize that Ovomit is trying to turn us into a dictorial/communist state. Hell, he was raised by commies and marxist parents and relatives! That is common knowledge.

Sure, if you say so. A communist nation would never allow their gov't to even consider the idea of corporate lobbyists and interest groups though.

Vis
05-02-2013, 03:39 AM
Communism is theory is all people share equally and the government shrinks as it becomes unnecessary. Communism in practice is a dictator state that takes all the power for itself. Which version is being bandied about here?

The_Joker
05-02-2013, 04:26 AM

I really wanna shove my big, fat, liberal foot up your ass any second now.

Bayz101
05-02-2013, 04:42 AM
I really wanna shove my big, fat, liberal foot up your ass any second now.

I really hate to do this, but if people can't discuss shit without cursing at each other, or even THREATENING one another, we simply can't allow discussion to continue.

</thread>