PDA

View Full Version : What if.

clevestinks
08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
......Ben didn`t make the game saving tackle on the Bettis fumble? Would Jerome still have retired, or would he be still looking for that ring? I say he would have played one more season, he could not go out like that, a haal of fame career, and ends on a goal line fumble, trying to put the game away!
Whats your thoughts?

BlackNGold203
08-24-2006, 02:43 PM
He kind of alluded to that on the NBC game last weekend....

He would have come back....

tony hipchest
08-24-2006, 02:43 PM
he said in the sunday broadcast (to madden and michaels) last weekend that he hadnt made up his mind to retire until the week of the sb. he said he dont think he couldve let his career end on that note and that he would probably have been back.

(yeah, what he said ^^^^^^)

Haiku_Dirtt
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
He'd retire.

The "Detroit Stage" had come and gone. Love the guy but 250 yard per season return on the investment probably ran its course. Not to mention what he had to go through every morning just to get out of bed.

It was time to think about being able to walk at age 50.

BTW Thank god he doesn't have that on his mind.

SteelerFanInCA
08-24-2006, 02:47 PM
I know his mornings after were rough but I think the fumble\loss would have left a sour taste in Jerome's mouth. Being the competitor that he is, I would have to assume he would come back for another year.

stlrtruck
08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I think he would have come back but it would have been strickly short yardage and goal line situations. Maybe snow games too (i.e. Chicago last year)

nicesteel4life
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
The BUS would of put the treads on one more year if it would of ended that way
No Doubt in my Mind....He would opf Played for peanutes but with what he made from endorsements he would of been fine. I just am still a little salty over the comments by him the first day of his new job. But I am getting over them.

Midnightwriter07
08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I think he would have come back too with the talent we have and to have the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl.. If the Steelers had let everyone go and we were not going to be competitive.. then maybe not. But i couldnt see him allowing that to be the last highlight of his playing days. The guilt he would have had for himself, the Coaches, the fans, and most especially the Roony's I am sure would have made him come back and play for free lol lol

I dont agree though that he didnt have anything left in tank.. His 360 yards didnt seem like alot, but to think of when he ran people over ( Ulacher sp ) was something that you need to add about 50 yards on his totals when he did that. It gave the team a boost when he would come in and get those extra yards. the team, the fans... and i tink would have been well worth it to have him on the team again, i didnt want him to retire in the first place but was fitting for him to do so.

Livinginthe past
08-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Hmmm.

Im going to buck the trend and say he wouldnt have come back for another season.

When you look at the fall-off in productivity over the last few years of his career its clear he would have been of neglibible value to the Steelers as a member of the 53.

941 yards down to 381 yards is a sizeable drop in production, and you also haven to factor in that the guy hasn't run for even 1000yards (which shouldn't even really be a bench mark in a 16 game season) for 4 consecutive seasons.

If Bettis had attempted to return he would have put Cowher in a horrible position - how do you cut a legend before has won his ring?

I think Cowher would have made the tough, yet correct decision and cut him.

NM

sculleyd
08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm not so sure that Bettis would have been cut if he had come back. Who would have taken his roster spot? Let's look at the options:

1) Another running back? Seems unlikely. Last year we kept Parker, Staley, Haynes, Krieder and Bettis on the roster, and it's reasonable to think we'd go with 5 again this year if we can find 5 worthy of keeping. Kuhn and Humes have both looked good at different points this preseason, but neither so good that they'd oust Bettis from his role as Short Yardage Back. After all, nobody else has really stepped up into that role even without Bettis in camp. I think Cowher would love to have him around right now.

2) A wideout? We have some talent and numbers at the position, and will probably end up cutting at least one guy who can play in the NFL. But donating a spot at RB to keep an extra WR doesn't seem like a power football/Cowher football sort of decision.

3) A defensive position? We do have some tough cuts coming on defense, and it's possible that we'd take away a spot at RB in favor of one on the other side of the ball. But I don't see the Shaun Nua's of the team being a better bet than a man who consistently converts touchdowns from inside the 5. 7 is way better than 3, and Cowher knows it.

In short, if Bettis was to be cut, someone would have had to beat him out, and I don't see that happening. That being said, I'm glad that he was able to retire on top, and I'm happy for him that he won't be putting another year of wear and tear on his body. He went above and beyond for so many years as it was.

Thank you, Bus!

Midnightwriter07
08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
If Bettis was coming back, we wouldnt have drafted a RB and his 360 yards was because parker was hurt and was the main man.. Bettis was a role player which is what Staley/ Humes/ haynes all will be this year... I dont think anyone expected Bettis to gain 1000 yards nor was he called upon to take over games.. He was Parkers back up. When Staleywent down after the 7th game bettis was needed to carry the load and he did that. I seem to think he could still do that if needed. No reason to draft Humes if Bettis was coming back and at this point.. Staley would be 3rd string

Livinginthe past
08-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I see, so Humes is able to do the job Bettis did last year is he?

A 7th round back?

Either the job Bettis did last year wasn't so huge, or there is no way an unproven scrub could come in and replace him.

I think its pretty likely that Humes doesn't even make team this year, let alone if Bettis was here.

RB is the most easily translatable position to the NFL from college - what has Humes shown apart from the ability to be slow?

NM

steelcity984
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
If Ben hadn't made the game saving tackle, he would've had enough time to quickly lead the Steelers down the field for a game winning TD. (I was actually hoping Harper took it back for a TD at the time.)

PisnNapalm
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
What if....?

What if the ruling on the field stands and Troy's interception was good? Likely the Steelers would have marched down the field and opened an even bigger lead. 28 - 10 right? That would have probably meant that Jerome's fumble would have never happened.

Who knows... Perhaps if the interception was good then maybe Ben throws a pick of his own that is run back for a touchdown. THen there's an onside kick and the Colts get it back to win the game.... ehhh... It's all hindsight and guessing.

Bottom line... The better team did win that game.

LambertLunatic
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
What if ......Ben didn`t make the game saving tackle on the Bettis fumble? Would Jerome still have retired, or would he be still looking for that ring?

If Ben hadn't made that tackle, we'd have been down by 4 points with about 1 1/2 minutes left. Who's to say that Ben wouldn't have driven the offense down the field for a TD in that 1 1/2 minutes? My suggestion is that if Ben hadn't made that tackle, Jerome still would have retired....WITH the ring!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
I see, so Humes is able to do the job Bettis did last year is he?

A 7th round back?

Either the job Bettis did last year wasn't so huge, or there is no way an unproven scrub could come in and replace him.

I think its pretty likely that Humes doesn't even make team this year, let alone if Bettis was here.

RB is the most easily translatable position to the NFL from college - what has Humes shown apart from the ability to be slow?

NM

Steve Young chimed in on this last year saying how great the Rooneys were to retain a -player obviously past his prime. The Bettis factor was highly diplomatic. And the risk paid off.

Humes should be cut. But I completely disagree about the RB being the most easily translatable position. Really! I watched Humes in Va Tech games and I was very very underwhelmed. Same with Addai at LSU.

Wide receiver is the most translatable in my opinion if you factor in what round you get the player. For example Ward in the 3rd round and now Reid.

Humes might be around because Duce is done. But we got him for free. So we don't lose anything.

Unlike sending Willie McGinnest to pasture only to sign the guy he replaced in college.

Looks like the Pats are going pre-historic. Now THAT is the past.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
If Ben hadn't made the game saving tackle, he would've had enough time to quickly lead the Steelers down the field for a game winning TD. (I was actually hoping Harper took it back for a TD at the time.)

Joking right? You WANTED THE COLTS TO SCORE!!!!!!!!!

I was reaching for the cyanide. I thought without a doubt the NFL was fixing the game after the most bizarre sequence in football I have ever witnessed.

Midnightwriter07
08-25-2006, 04:32 AM
i stood with my mouth open cause i was about ready to go nuts as soon as Bettis scored that touchdown and do my little dance ( i wont descrive my Steeler dance ) but then all the sudden that ball popped out and i just stood there in amazement with my mouth wide open watching that play transform. Was the opposite of " The Immacualte Reception" as far as what happened on the play.. but will definately be one of those plays that i will never forget and when i am old and in a nursing home tellin the nurse all about it over and over regardless if she saw it or not or if she wants to hear it. Complete craziness.

Livinginthe past
08-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Steve Young chimed in on this last year saying how great the Rooneys were to retain a -player obviously past his prime. The Bettis factor was highly diplomatic. And the risk paid off.

Humes should be cut. But I completely disagree about the RB being the most easily translatable position. Really! I watched Humes in Va Tech games and I was very very underwhelmed. Same with Addai at LSU.

Wide receiver is the most translatable in my opinion if you factor in what round you get the player. For example Ward in the 3rd round and now Reid.

Humes might be around because Duce is done. But we got him for free. So we don't lose anything.

Unlike sending Willie McGinnest to pasture only to sign the guy he replaced in college.

Looks like the Pats are going pre-historic. Now THAT is the past.

When I say 'translatable' I mean that the skills a player shows as RB need the least work when he starts as a pro.

By comparison, wide receivers take upto 3 years to fully translate their talent from college into production in the NFL.

So, if a guy shows nothing early in his career as an RB, then the odds are that he will never have much to offer at that level.

I fail to see the link between Willie McG and Jerome Bettis' retirement.

NM

HometownGal
08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Hmmm.

Im going to buck the trend and say he wouldnt have come back for another season.

When you look at the fall-off in productivity over the last few years of his career its clear he would have been of neglibible value to the Steelers as a member of the 53.

941 yards down to 381 yards is a sizeable drop in production, and you also haven to factor in that the guy hasn't run for even 1000yards (which shouldn't even really be a bench mark in a 16 game season) for 4 consecutive seasons.

If Bettis had attempted to return he would have put Cowher in a horrible position - how do you cut a legend before has won his ring?

I think Cowher would have made the tough, yet correct decision and cut him.

NM

While I have to say that I am leaning towards Jerome not coming back for yet another season, I don't agree at all with your reasoning.

The Bus now has a little girl to look forward to raising. He also just got married a few months back and his priorities in life are now a little different. His time constaints now with his new position as an analyst won't interfere as much with his family time as continuing his football career would have continued to do. Jerome is all about family - very devoted and loving father and husband.

I don't believe for one minute that Cowher would have cut him had he returned this season. He was one of the team leaders and his role on the team changed over the last couple of years and especially with the emergence of Willie Parker. He may have "only" had 368 yards last season, but I think his 35 TD's in the regular season over the last 4 year were far more valuable to the team than the number of yards he gained on the ground. Jerome also picked up a lot of key first downs for us last season which was part of his new role on the offensive unit.

Livinginthe past
08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
While I have to say that I am leaning towards Jerome not coming back for yet another season, I don't agree at all with your reasoning.

The Bus now has a little girl to look forward to raising. He also just got married a few months back and his priorities in life are now a little different. His time constaints now with his new position as an analyst won't interfere as much with his family time as continuing his football career would have continued to do. Jerome is all about family - very devoted and loving father and husband.

I don't believe for one minute that Cowher would have cut him had he returned this season. He was one of the team leaders and his role on the team changed over the last couple of years and especially with the emergence of Willie Parker. He may have "only" had 368 yards last season, but I think his 35 TD's in the regular season over the last 4 year were far more valuable to the team than the number of yards he gained on the ground. Jerome also picked up a lot of key first downs for us last season which was part of his new role on the offensive unit.

Well everyone has an opinion I guess.

It will be interesting to watch this team continue to evolve into more of a quick strike unit - they dont have the personnel to pound it between the tackles anymore - not unless Willie loses the starters job.

What I wouldnt rule out is Ben passing more and for less ypa - with Willie in the backfield you have to feel the swing pass and screen will be a regular fall back.

NM

pitt
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
His pride would of made him come back.