Blacksburg Zach
05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
RIP Hanneman.

Galax Steeler
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
R.I.P

SteelCityMom
05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Just over two years after contracting a rare skin tissue disease, Slayer guitarist and songwriter Jeff Hanneman died on Thursday from liver failure at Hemet Valley Medical Center, near his home in Southern California's Inland Empire area.

Slayer made the news public on Thursday afternoon, announcing that the band "is devastated" and calling Hanneman, who was 49, their bandmate and brother. Twitter quickly filled with messages from fans and fellow musicians, many of whom were in Los Angeles for the 5th Annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards show at Club Nokia. Disturbed/Device frontman David Draiman was among the very first, posting "RIP TO A TITAN OF METAL," while drummer Mike Portnoy wrote, "WOW...I'm in shock...RIP Jeff Hanneman."

Hanneman has been off the road since early 2011, when he contracted necrotizing fasciitis -- most likely from a spider bite -- a quick-progressing disease that literally eats away at the flesh from deep layers of skin and tissue. Exodus' Gary Holt stood in for Hanneman starting in February of 2011, while Pat O'Brien joined the band when Holt returned to Exodus during 2011.

It's not known what role the disease played in Hanneman's liver failure.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

RIP man

CUDWLp1yIWw

MACH1
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Wow....RIP Jeff

Galax Steeler
05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I merged the threads together

SteelCityMom
05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
I merged the threads together

Thanks Galax...don't know how I didn't see it lol.

caplovestroyp43
05-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Wow not a Slayer fan but he musta died one torturous death. Poor guy. And only 49. Way too young. RIP.

Buddha Bus
05-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Words cant express how shocked and saddened I am at this news. Ever since the day I picked up my first Slayer album ("Reign In Blood") way back in 1986 in high school, I have been a huge fan of theirs and bought every album. I'm glad I got to see them in concert back in 2001 in Towson, MD as they are true godfathers of thrash metal. This is truly a sad day for metal fans everywhere and my heart goes out to his family, friends, and bandmates. R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman.