PDA

View Full Version : Movie Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Figured we should get a thread going to talk about movies and whatnot (There might be an old one floating around, but I'm way too lazy to find it).

Anything new and exciting you've seen? Anything that should be avoided like the plague?

Just got done watching Mama (produced by Guillermo del Toro, directed by Andrés Muschietti in his debut film...Muschietti was also the writer). It was a bit predictable, but the acting, camera work, and CGI was really good...and while the story isn't exactly the most original, it was still done well. 6/10 on the creepy scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZlY47eCdas

Getting ready to watch this. Seems completely appropriate since I'm having trouble falling asleep. The only possible cure could be a horror movie about insomnia driving you insane. :chuckle: It's an After Dark movie, so it could go either way. I'm not walking into it with a lot of expectations lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaAZ2a-k9Y

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Oh, and this looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNytA-KumTE

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
i was really disappointed with ironman 3

Fire Arians
05-17-2013, 02:23 AM
i wanna see star trek. passed up on ironman 3 because of the plethora of complaints about how bad it sucked on my facebook news feed lol

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
just watched "pain and gain" , gotta say i was pleasantly surprised. i thought it was gonna be a lame comedy , but it kinda reminded me of the movie "blow" , the way it was done.
it was worth the time...:thumbsup:

teegre
05-17-2013, 08:06 AM
420 MEETS HOLLYWOOD
I can't wait to see "This is The End."

MONSTERS APLENTY
I randomly watched "The Cabin in the Woods." I gotta say that I liked it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but it is NOT at all like I expected. It is NOT just a slasher in the woods movie; it us way, way different than any movie I've ever seen. I'd actually say that it's a COMEDY. The last 15 minutes are awesome... and I rewound & watched it twenty times (trying to "spot" certain things).

jacobo
05-17-2013, 08:17 AM
cabin in the woods is the best horror movie of the past decade+

and this is the end looks amazing

Vis
05-17-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm looking forward to Man of Steel. Lets hope it doesn't suck like the last Superman

jacobo
05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
man of steel looks pretty sweet tbh. hope it sets the ground works for a justice league franchise.

teegre
05-17-2013, 10:52 AM

How many "references" could you spot?

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Cabin in the Woods is definitely freaking awesome.

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 11:12 AM

and this is the end looks amazing

Cabin in the Woods is definitely freaking awesome.

Really? I had heard bad things and ended up passing on it. I'll have to give it a try.

JonM229
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I just watched Cabin in the Woods the other evening and it was awesome.

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I just watched Cabin in the Woods the other evening and it was awesome.

That's it. I'm sold. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
I would say don't even watch another movie until you've seen it. It's really very clever and fun.

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I would say don't even watch another movie until you've seen it. It's really very clever and fun.

Already bumped it to the top of my Netflix list. As soon as I finish Game of Thrones, I'm on it! :thumbsup:

fer522
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm burning ironman 3 and a good day to die hard. I'll definitely watch them tonight:popcorn:

teegre
05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
That's it. I'm sold. :thumbsup:

Do NOT watch any trailers or read anything about it.

The reason that I think that I enjoyed it so much (aside from the last 15 being awesome & fun), was the fact that i had NO IDEA what was going to happen.

You think that it's going to go A, B, C... but, instead, it goes A, B, 5, blue, orangutan...

Again, do not read or watch anything about ti. Go in "blind."

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Go in "blind."

That's my life's motto. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Dark Skies wasn't terrible. Wasn't great either, but it was worth the entertainment. Wouldn't pay for it though.

Looking forward to seeing these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5oyX2bVvEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZENI7UC3WQo

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Ewwwwww.....I think I've changed my mind on After Earth. I have sworn off M. Knight Shalamawhoseyourmama forever.

Who am I kidding...I'll probably torture myself and see it anyway. But they'll never make me pay for it. NEVER!

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM
"The Colony" looks wicked! Looks like a cross between "The Thing" and "30 Days of Night".

Buddha Bus
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Ewwwwww.....I think I've changed my mind on After Earth. I have sworn off M. Knight Shalamawhoseyourmama forever.

Who am I kidding...I'll probably torture myself and see it anyway. But they'll never make me pay for it. NEVER!

Yeah, M. Night Shamalamadingdong lost me a long time ago. Guy tries way too hard to have the twist ending and just ends up clusterfucking the shit out of it. Tries to be too clever for his own good. The last watchable movie he did was "Signs" and that ending blew chunks. Water kills them? :doh:

SteelCityMom
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, M. Night Shamalamadingdong lost me a long time ago. Guy tries way too hard to have the twist ending and just ends up clusterfucking the shit out of it. Tries to be too clever for his own good. The last watchable movie he did was "Signs" and that ending blew chunks. Water kills them? :doh:

Yup, same for me. I really liked that movie too up till the ending. The Happening had promise too...but just never got there.

I still kick myself for ever watching Lady in the Water. Pure garbage.

fer522
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Not really liking the new die hard movie

teegre
05-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Not really liking the new die hard movie

They have quickly gone downhill.

Die Hard: The greatest action flick of all time. Why? The hero is fallible. He smokes, he gets beaten up, he gets shot, his foot gets gashed, and his clothes get dirty (they did a careful job of making his shirt progressively turn more & more ashy). The twist at the end (the terrorists are nothing more than theives "Exceptional theives" but theives nonetheless) is great. And, that jump from the building, with the firehose wrapped around his waist... priceless.

Then, there was the sequel, which was alright.

Then, the only thing good about the third one was Samuel L. Jakcson... mutha fucka!!! Brain teasers... really? reeeally? reeeeeally?

The fourth one had John McClain knocking a plane out fo the sky with his car. Uh... Jumanji is more believable.

Ergo, when I saw the trailers for the fifth installment, I winced.

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2013, 06:04 PM
That's my life's motto. :chuckle:
and that my friend is why you wake up next to things like this...
http://www.fbibo.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/pictures-of-ugly-man-20.jpg

fer522
05-17-2013, 07:21 PM
They have quickly gone downhill.

Die Hard: The greatest action flick of all time. Why? The hero is fallible. He smokes, he gets beaten up, he gets shot, his foot gets gashed, and his clothes get dirty (they did a careful job of making his shirt progressively turn more & more ashy). The twist at the end (the terrorists are nothing more than theives "Exceptional theives" but theives nonetheless) is great. And, that jump from the building, with the firehose wrapped around his waist... priceless.

Then, there was the sequel, which was alright.

Then, the only thing good about the third one was Samuel L. Jakcson... mutha fucka!!! Brain teasers... really? reeeally? reeeeeally?

The fourth one had John McClain knocking a plane out fo the sky with his car. Uh... Jumanji is more believable.

Ergo, when I saw the trailers for the fifth installment, I winced.

i was kinda hoping to see him die at the end of the movie

http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/16/90/55/14/55152610.jpg The End

teegre
05-17-2013, 09:38 PM
i was kinda hoping to see him die at the end of the movie

http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/16/90/55/14/55152610.jpg The End

:toofunny:

Lady Steel
05-18-2013, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

teegre
05-20-2013, 01:09 AM
THE PURGE
The Purge looked different... at first. A night where anything is legal: murder, rape... scary thought. The locking down of the house & the isolation from the nightmare outside looked promising.

Then... it looks just like every other movie: crazies break into the house... blood... et cetera.

Intriguing premise.

M. NIGHT TWISTENDING
His movies are so well choreographed, and the cinematography is great. Even the character development is really well done. BUT, he has this fascination with "shocking" us at the end.

If he would just focus on writing a good story (sans the "shock" value), he could be one of the great ones. Alas...

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 08:36 AM
THE PURGE
The Purge looked different... at first. A night where anything is legal: murder, rape... scary thought. The locking down of the house & the isolation from the nightmare outside looked promising.

Then... it looks just like every other movie: crazies break into the house... blood... et cetera.

Intriguing premise.

M. NIGHT TWISTENDING
His movies are so well choreographed, and the cinematography is great. Even the character development is really well done. BUT, he has this fascination with "shocking" us at the end.

If he would just focus on writing a good story (sans the "shock" value), he could be one of the great ones. Alas...

That movie looks amazingly similar to "The Strangers". Too close, IMO.

I guess the premise is different, what with it being legal to kill, rape, steal, etc., but it reminds me of that movie from the trailers. Why the need for masks if it's all legal?

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I watched the new "Texas Chainsaw" last night. Holy frijoles, was that movie terrible! One of the worst Texas Chainsaw movies ever made, if not THE worst. The acting sucked, the story and plot sucked, the soundtrack sucked, and the cheap "3D moments" reminded me of lame 70's-80's era 3D shots. The worst was, I didn't watch it in 3D, so I didn't even get to experience any of those cheap thrills.

Avoid this hot mess at all costs!

Vis
05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Gatsby wasn't bad. But I've never read it so I can't comment on it's faithfulness to the text

teegre
05-20-2013, 09:14 AM
That movie looks amazingly similar to "The Strangers". Too close, IMO.

I guess the premise is different, what with it being legal to kill, rape, steal, etc., but it reminds me of that movie from the trailers. Why the need for masks if it's all legal?

I have a feeling that the "twist" (every movie seems to have to have a twist these days) is that the people behind the masks are going to be someone "famous" or a friend of that family. Big reveal... followed by Ethan Hawke crying, "You?... You!?!"

Buddha Bus
05-20-2013, 09:15 AM
I have a feeling that the "twist" (every movie seems to have to have a twist these days) is that the people behind the masks are going to be someone "famous" or a friend of that family. Big reveal... followed by Ethan Hawke crying, "You?... You!?!"

Ethan Hawke crying? NO WAY! :sarcalert:

JonM229
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Gatsby wasn't bad. But I've never read it so I can't comment on it's faithfulness to the text

I hated Gatsby. The story was more or less the same, but Baz Luhrmann seemed to miss the point. Also, he's a terrible director. His directing style broke the immersion for me on several occasions; way too many scenes with fast cuts.

The attempts at emotional scenes drew laughs and/or groans from myself and my wife. I only saw this because my wife loves Moulin Rouge and is a huge Fitzgerald fan, though she also hated the movie.

No movie should ever be narrated by Tobey Maguire

teegre
05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
No movie should ever be narrated by Tobey Maguire

ALL movies should be narrated by Morgan Freeman.

But, he's going to die some day. Yes, yes he will. That is why he works day & night, laying down voicework, making a archive fo every word ever spoken, so that it can be melded together seamlessly, with some sort of electronical device, so that we will ALWAYS have narration by Morgan Freeman.

Of course, if that fails, there is always Bobcat Goldthwait.

teegre
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Ethan Hawke crying? NO WAY! :sarcalert:

I know, huh.

Talk about being type-casted.

"Ethan, in this scene, you are going to act like you just don;t care, but you really do... and we can tell, because you are going to cry."

Atlanta Dan
05-20-2013, 08:28 PM

I also saw it and it was pretty faithful to the book

I liked the movie, which exceeded my low expectations, but the but the novel is all about Fitzgerald's use of language rather than the plot itself -

The novel does not lend itself to being escapist summer movie fare

Surprised you escaped reading the novel in high school or freshman year

I read the novel again in Kindle - it is only around 150 pages and worth reading for its own sake rather than as an assignment

Atlanta Dan
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
I hated Gatsby. The story was more or less the same, but Baz Luhrmann seemed to miss the point.

The New York Times movie critic (who was in the minority that gave the movie a good review) takes an interesting spin on Luhrman's interpretation of Gatsby for our current time as opposed to that of nine decades ago

The idea that everyone can have everything may be logically preposterous, but it is ideologically essential to the imagination of a country that seems to be living simultaneously in the Great Depression and the Gilded Age. ...

Intentionally or not, Mr. Luhrmann stripped “The Great Gatsby” of the sentimentality that has always been part of its appeal, and in doing so updated it in a radical and troubling way. The result may be vulgar, but it is also an honest reflection of contemporary values ... This is how we live: greedily, enviously, superficially, in a state of endless, self-justifying desire. This is the pursuit of happiness, mirrored in the pleasure these movies provide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/movies/the-luxe-life-in-gatsby-bling-ring-and-other-films.html?pagewanted=3&ref=arts

JonM229
05-21-2013, 08:15 AM
It was actually the cinematography, cheesy emotional scenes (specifically the flashback/dream sequences), and bad acting that ruined the movie for me. Any scene without DiCaprio could have used more DiCaprio.

Gatsby put Baz Lurhmann with Michael Bay in my most hated directors list.

Lady Steel
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Why the need for masks if it's all legal?

Maybe so they can't be identified for the next purge. :noidea:

teegre
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Good point.

Joe Schmoe kills Wanda Stepford. Then, the next year, Wanda Stepford's husband seeks out & kills Joe Schmoe. The following year, Joe Schmoe's son gets revenge on Mr. Stepford. et cetera

I still say that is a "twist" at the end, where Ethan Hawke unmasks one of the people, and say, "You?... You???... why!?!"

Lokki
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Of course, if that fails, there is always Bobcat Goldthwait.

It has to be old school Bobcat though. Not the newly reformed, I don't slur my speech, Bobcat.

teegre
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
It has to be old school Bobcat though.

That is the only Bobcat Goldthwait that I acknowledge the existence of.

vasteeler
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
thanks to you guys i watched "the cabin in the woods" the other day. i thought it was pretty good. it was a cool idea. the problem i had with it were the actors. not all of them but the"victims" were horrible. the guys in the watching room were pretty good. lastly i hate the way movies in general portray stoners. its not even close to accurate.

Buddha Bus
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM

:doh:

The answer was so simple... just like me.

Atlanta Dan
05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Got around to seeing Star Trek Into Darkness - it was enjoyable for the inside jokes if, like me, you have followed the series for some time (tribbles, Harvey Mudd, references to prior plot points in earlier movies).

Of course what passes for a plot was incoherent - maybe expecting a coherent plot is a reflection that I am too old for modern blockbuster entertainment:noidea:

OTOH I have high expectations for this movie - if you cannot get Morgan Freeman to do your voice overs it is not too shabby to have Russell Crowe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

He will be an outcast - they will kill him

How? He will be a god to them.

teegre
05-21-2013, 04:30 PM
thanks to you guys i watched "the cabin in the woods" the other day. i thought it was pretty good. it was a cool idea. the problem i had with it were the actors. not all of them but the"victims" were horrible. the guys in the watching room were pretty good. lastly i hate the way movies in general portray stoners. its not even close to accurate.

They asked Tommy Chong to play that part, but he said that it was "too over the top" for him. :wink02:

I liked the two lab tech guys. Good chemistry.

How many references did you catch/see? (If you reply with specific ones, put SPOILER next to it... because, Buddha hasn't seen it yet.)

teegre
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Dan,

Plot (or, lack thereof) is my major gripe with most movies. As long as it has CGI, it gets green-lit. Ugh.

vasteeler
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
They asked Tommy Chong to play that part, but he said that it was "too over the top" for him. :wink02:

I liked the two lab tech guys. Good chemistry.

How many references did you catch/see? (If you reply with specific ones, put SPOILER next to it... because, Buddha hasn't seen it yet.)

im not sure what references you are referring to.

Buddha Bus
05-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Well... in reference to your reference that the references Teeg was referring to, I suggest you reference the movie for references to other movies as a reference.

Got it?

teegre
05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Well... in reference to your reference that the references Teeg was referring to, I suggest you reference the movie for references to other movies as a reference.

Got it?

Well done!!! :applaudit:

teegre
05-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Cabin in the Woods

SPOILER: Such as the guy with the saw blades in his face, was an homage to Pinhead from "Hellraiser." SPOILER

MasterOfPuppets
05-24-2013, 12:04 AM
watched "snitch" last night.
wasn't great but i don't regret watching it
first movie i've seen with "the rock" , that he kept his shirt on the whole time.
plus he didn't play the usual unrealistic action hero role. he did a descent job with his character.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D9IOxiD6mX4/TKDWqJDrnvI/AAAAAAAAA2o/GqIGwaVQ1F4/s1600/7of10.jpg

Vis
05-27-2013, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6vQBGqLW8

Will this suck? it's 50/50

Bayz101
05-27-2013, 05:26 PM
will this suck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qI7wuFnQ08

teegre
05-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Pacific Rim looks bad... like Jean Claude Van Damme bad.

The Purge looks like a great premise... but, I'm not holding my breath.

The movies for which I am eagerly awaiting:

This is The End
If you have not seen the trailer, don't. Go in blind. Imagine "Hot Tub Time Machine" meets "Superbad." This movie is going to kick a$$!!!

Man of Steel
Nolan makes good comic book adaptions.

Anchorman 2
Obvious.

Monsters University
This will be my little girl's first movie.

teegre
05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
I just watched The Hurt Locker.

Different than i had expected. It goes into the psyche of what makes bomb-squad guys do what they do. It can be summed up as follows: a movie about addiction... to adrenaline.

teegre
05-29-2013, 02:17 PM
I know that this is four year after The Hurt Locker first came out, but I just saw it... and my mind been's thinking about it a lot. I had a few thoughts about each character.

Eldridge:
This is how we (as humans) are supposed to react to bombs exploding and dead people everywhere. He is a shattered person, who goes through all of the stages of PTSD: shock, fear, self-blame, denial, hopelessness, anger... and maybe (some day) acceptance. He sees a psychologist, because of his issues with dealing with the death of a teammate. But, then he sees his psychologist blown up (queue up the downward spiral). And, then, he finally leaves (injured & angry). People often do not like his character, because he outwardly displays what we are all feeling inside (and want to "ignore"). He makes us feel uncomfortable.

Speaking of keeping it all "bottled up" inside...

Sanborn:
This is how "soldiers" are supposed to react. He is calm, cool, & collected. He rarely shows any signs of emotional stress; he is the antithesis of Eldridge... until... the very end, where he basically says, "I can't take this any more." All of those emotions have been festering... because, unlike Eldridge, he has no one to talk to. (Man alive! What a cruel, grueling life a soldier has to lead: dealing with such insane things, yet simultaneously feeling the need to "not react.")

Sanborn is the character that the audiance most identifies with. As an observer, it is easy for us to keep our emotions locked inside... but, when Sanborn let's it all out, so does the audience (crying, empathy).

James:
He is addicted to adrenaline. When the first quote came on the screen, I was thinking it was going to be some BS about how soldiers are addicted to fighting. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised when it was actually a character study about the three types of reactions to the stress of war. Edridge is what a normal person would be like (displaying anger & fear); Sanborn was what they expect of a solider (bottle it up); and James... well... James is the person who has been through so much stress, that he knows no other way to live. He can't even drink with his friends, without turning it into a situation where one of them threatens to kill him (Sanborn's knife at James' throat is what James wanted to happen... to fulfill James' adrenaline rush).

In turn, for James, stress has become the norm.

Great character development.

Vis
05-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Just saw Citizen Kane. Holy shit, it's the sled.

pczach
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/mrcross5/spoilerbible.jpg

teegre
05-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Darth was Luke's father.

JonM229
05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Jay Gatsby is shot to death at the end of The Great Gatsby

teegre
05-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Bambi's mother dies.

pczach
05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Neo really is The One.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Soylent Green is peeeople!!!

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Bruce Willis is dead.

Brad Pitt is Ed Norton - but don't talk about it.

It's not another planet, it's Earth taken over by those damn dirty apes.

There's a penis under that dress

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Kaiser Soze is actually Verbal Kint.

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Ingrid gets on the stupid plane.

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Name the films above for brownie points.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:21 PM
The license plate number is actually for Teddy's car.

The killer is actually Jason's mom.

The top falling does not matter; Dom's wedding ring means that he is awake.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Bruce Willis is dead.

Brad Pitt is Ed Norton - but don't talk about it.

It's not another planet, it's Earth taken over by those damn dirty apes.

There's a penis under that dress

The Sixth Sense

Fight Club

Planet of the Apes

Crying Game

Casablanca

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:27 PM
It's all just an elaborate game.

There never was an Aaron.

Donnie goes back in time, does NOT sleepwalk, and dies... as originally intended.

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not getting all of yours. I'm eliminated.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
All of the murders are just daydreams by Patrick.

There is a head in the box.

The motel worker's mother is dead, but he likes borrowing her clothes.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm not getting all of yours. I'm eliminated.

Aw man... I love this game. Movies are my niche... specifically movies with "different" endings.

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:39 PM

There is a head in the box.

The motel worker's mother is dead, but he likes borrowing her clothes.

Obviously SpongeBob squarepants

Seven

Psycho

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Aw man... I love this game. Movies are my niche... specifically movies with "different" endings.

Try this one.

The moon is the fixed point. They have to be within a couple of degrees.

Or

The feds are in on it.

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:42 PM
His wife actually killed the assistant DA, not him.

Carl Lee Haley is innocent of killing those 2 boys that raped, tortured, left-for-dead daughter.

The demon survives by moving to a cat's body.

Vis
05-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Presumed Innocent for the first

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Presumed Innocent for the first

Yep

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
His wife actually killed the assistant DA, not him.

Carl Lee Haley is innocent of killing those 2 boys that raped, tortured, left-for-dead daughter.

The demon survives by moving to a cat's body.

That one does not sound familiar.

A Time to Kill

Fallen

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Try this one.

Or

The feds are in on it.

Apollo 13

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:46 PM
That one does not sound familiar.

A Time to Kill

Fallen

correct

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Obviously SpongeBob squarepants

LOL

That one is tough.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Try this one.

Or

The feds are in on it.

Apollo 13 sounds right.

Oh man... that could eb just about any John Grisham movie. :wink02:

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
These three got bypassed... and the fourth one was actually not Spongebob (but, a damn clever answer):

Donnie goes back in time, does NOT sleepwalk, and dies... as originally intended.

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Colonel admits to ordering Code Red.

Lawyer saves his ass by becoming the lawyer of mob group, so he is immune from prosecution.

Wins race across the desert on horse.

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:55 PM

Lawyer saves his ass by becoming the lawyer of mob group, so he is immune from prosecution.

A Few Good Men

The Firm

Hidalgo

pczach
05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
A Few Good Men

The Firm

Hidalgo

Nice!

SteelCityMom
05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
These three got bypassed... and the fourth one was actually not Spongebob (but, a damn clever answer):

The Game

Don't Know

Donnie Darko

American Psycho

Only know the last one of pczach's....Black Stallion 2

Should probably make a separate thread for this game (which would be a lot of fun)...probably don't want to be spoiling so many movies in case people haven't seen them. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
05-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Hidalgo? Never saw that...at any rate, the same thing happens in Black Stallion 2, so we're both right. :chuckle:

teegre
05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
SCMom, I was thinking the same thing: lots of SPOILERS in this game. And, indeed, this is awesome!!!

Oh, and the "There never was an Aaron" was from Primal Fear.

pczach
05-29-2013, 06:00 PM

American Psycho?

teegre
American Psycho?

Yep... great movie.

pczach
Late!

SteelCityMom
05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
SCMom, I was thinking the same thing: lots of SPOILERS in this game. And, indeed, this is awesome!!!

Oh, and the "There never was an Aaron" was from Primal Fear.

Never did see that.

Indeed it would be fun, and that way people could go into it knowing they may run into some spoilers. Most of the first ones are gimmies (although I'd be PISSED at Vis if I had never seen Usual suspects lol).

teegre
05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
The seven people at the motel are actually all part of the broken psyche of one person.

The magician had an identical twin (who cut off his fingers, too)... and the other magician actually achieved teleportation (but, was actually committing murder every single time that he performed the feat).

The inspector is actually a patient at the mental health facility, and it is all just a therapy session (where the guards & staff play along).

pczach
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
What a great game!

I figured out The Game and American Psycho after grinding for a while.

Can we do more, or do we have to start a new thread?

teegre
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Never did see that.

Indeed it would be fun, and that way people could go into it knowing they may run into some spoilers. Most of the first ones are gimmies (although I'd be PISSED at Vis if I had never seen Usual suspects lol).

Usual Suspects was me. :doh:

Should we stop for now? ... and, open another thread?

pczach
05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
The seven people at the motel are actually all part of the broken psyche of one person.

The magician had an identical twin (who cut off his fingers, too)... and the other magician actually achieved teleportation (but, was actually committing murder every single time that he performed the feat).

The inspector is actually a patient at the mental health facility, and it is all just a therapy session (where the guards & staff play along).

not sure

the prestige

shutter island

SteelCityMom

Isn't the first one Identity? I know it's a John Cusack movie.

I don't know the second one

Third is that one with DiCaprio...ummm ummmm UMMMMM with the lighthouse. Shutter?

teegre
I started a new thread.

SteelCityMom
Usual Suspects was me. :doh:

Should we stop for now? ... and, open another thread?

Yeah, probably...so I don't look like a total hypocrite.

Will be back a bit later to play!

teegre
05-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Between the two of you, you got all three movies.

Now... on to the other thread.

Vis
05-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Apollo 13

Not Apollo 13. It's the Dish. Watch it. The other on about Feds was The Sting

teegre
05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Not Apollo 13. It's the Dish. Watch it. The other on about Feds was The Sting

I shall... and, duh... I should have known that!!!

Vis
05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D36VztJ8oaQ

looks good to me

vasteeler
06-02-2013, 03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D36VztJ8oaQ

looks good to me

agreed

vasteeler
06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
we watched this last night....pretty entertaining, like most movies it had a few scenes that just wouldnt happen in real life

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw_JOauCFsIMx2XeKR-dI6ujBg0KbOukQxo6QIM4L_Nwo4ZhFGEw

Bayz101
06-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I always thought Baron-Cohen was a BAD kind of crazy, but this movie was funny as hell. :chuckle:

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Dictator-poster.jpg

Fire Arians
06-02-2013, 04:03 PM
star trek was the best movie ive seen in recent memory. had to see it twice last weekend :)

Vis
06-02-2013, 04:32 PM
star trek was the best movie ive seen in recent memory. had to see it twice last weekend :)

I enjoyed it but only once. I'll wait for iTunes now

Buddha Bus
06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Going to watch "Wreck-It Ralph" and "V/H/S" tonight. Wish me luck!

Buddha Bus
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Watched "Wreck-It Ralph" last night, but didn't get to "V/H/S". Ralph was a fun flick though. A cool movie for any video game junkie. Thumbs up! :thmbup:

SteelCityMom
06-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I think I might watch this tonight (or MST3K, or both), just to get the stink of this game out of my head.

I'm in a terrible mood, but this still manages to make me crack up. :chuckle: One of the funniest movie scenes of all time, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0ebyjendM

Fire Arians
06-04-2013, 01:00 PM
saw after earth yesterday, it was an alright movie.

worth it if you like sci fi, but i was a little disappointed that will smith wasn't the lead character and his son was. I'm sure his son will be a good actor in time, but still can't hold a candle to his dad.

i'd say it was worth seeing if you're a sci fi fan, otherwise, wait for dvd

teegre
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
saw after earth yesterday, it was an alright movie.

worth it if you like sci fi, but i was a little disappointed that will smith wasn't the lead character and his son was. I'm sure his son will be a good actor in time, but still can't hold a candle to his dad.

i'd say it was worth seeing if you're a sci fi fan, otherwise, wait for dvd

I was wondering.

Q: Was there a decent story? ...or, was it 99% CGI-driven (like most films these days)?

Fire Arians
06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I was wondering.

Q: Was there a decent story? ...or, was it 99% CGI-driven (like most films these days)?

the plot was interesting but not very deep. tbh the main focus was the father/son relationship between the 2 characters.

teegre
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks, man.

Oh... and while the following movie doesn't come out until the day of my sister-in-law's birthday (Oct 4), I'm already excited to see "A Dame to Kill For." I already promised the SIL that we'd take her (as her gift). Dinner, drinking, & dames (to kill for).

Vis
06-05-2013, 03:16 AM
the plot was interesting but not very deep. tbh the main focus was the father/son relationship between the 2 characters.

I thought the main focus was a father writing a movie for his son to be a career boost.

SteelCityMom
06-07-2013, 11:44 PM
So excited to go see this. One of my favorites from Shakespeare + Joss Whedon? Yes please!

A bit of background on the movie... It was shot in only 12 days while Joss Whedon was working on Marvel's The Avengers. It was filmed at Joss Whedon's Santa Monica home, which was design and decorated by Whedon's wife Kai Cole.

Many of the actors/actresses have worked previously with Joss Whedon on one or more of his works: Nathan Fillion (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog), Amy Acker (Angel, Dollhouse, The Cabin in the Woods), Ashley Johnson (Dollhouse, The Avengers), Alexis Denisof (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dollhouse, The Avengers), Clark Gregg (The Avengers), Sean Maher (Firefly), Riki Lindhome (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Fran Kranz (Dollhouse, The Cabin in the Woods), Tom Lenk (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, The Cabin in the Woods).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8TWSJYrJU

Buddha Bus
06-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks, man.

Oh... and while the following movie doesn't come out until the day of my sister-in-law's birthday (Oct 4), I'm already excited to see "A Dame to Kill For." I already promised the SIL that we'd take her (as her gift). Dinner, drinking, & dames (to kill for).

Sin City was awesome and I expect that this one will be too as long as Frank Miller is involved. Visually cool looking style to S.C. and Miller's artwork.

vasteeler
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM
i have seen a lot of movies over the years and a lot of them have been horrible. this past weekend i think i watched THE worst movie i have ever seen. i usually will sit through a bad movie but in this case i could not make it past 30 mins. unless you are a glutton for punishment stay away from this movie

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOJHwQpwU31zRS1H-0sshCwqMJhUAq7YVTj0s0lzcwt94LLVMbyg

Buddha Bus
06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
i have seen a lot of movies over the years and a lot of them have been horrible. this past weekend i think i watched THE worst movie i have ever seen. i usually will sit through a bad movie but in this case i could not make it past 30 mins. unless you are a glutton for punishment stay away from this movie

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOJHwQpwU31zRS1H-0sshCwqMJhUAq7YVTj0s0lzcwt94LLVMbyg

Never even heard of that one. I'll take your advice. :chuckle:

I finally saw "Mama" this weekend. I thought it was pretty good and definitely had some creepy moments. Guillermo del Toro can create some exceptionally skin-crawling imagery and settings. I love his work.

vasteeler
06-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Never even heard of that one. I'll take your advice. :chuckle:

I finally saw "Mama" this weekend. I thought it was pretty good and definitely had some creepy moments. Guillermo del Toro can create some exceptionally skin-crawling imagery and settings. I love his work.

i have that but i have yet to watch it. im always a little skeptical of the horror genre these days but i will check it out soon

teegre
06-18-2013, 05:08 PM

I have noticed that listed... and had it on my "to watch" list... but U shall remove it. Thank you.

My time is limited, and thus, I dare not waste it.

For example, I've gotten my wife four episodes into season one of "Arrested Development." I've already seen the first three seasons, but want her to watch season four WITH me. My goal: September.

pczach
06-18-2013, 06:30 PM
I just got back from seeing Man of Steel at an IMAX in Phoenix. A very entertaining movie, and definitely had a Christopher Nolan feel to it with the soundtrack and the overall feel of the movie. It had a great cast, and I think the movie is a home run for the fans of superhero movies and sci-fi. There is definitely depth to the story and the history of Superman. The movie was very well acted and they did a good job establishing the backround of the main characters. The effects are tremendous, but I expected this from anything based on the Superman mythology based on his incredible powers, and anything with Nolan's name on it. I would recommend this movie as a good watch for all movie goers. It just makes you wonder where they will go from here.

:thumbsup:

teegre
06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Superman vs. Batman is my guess...

pczach
06-18-2013, 06:54 PM
That is sooooo ridiculous cause everyone knows Superman will kick Batman's ass all day long!!!!!!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/ProvostZakharov/Misc/nerd.jpg

teegre
06-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Go get this series. Epic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

After you read it, we can continue this debate. I don't want to spoil the ending. One of the greatest comics of all time.

Atlanta Dan
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I just got back from seeing Man of Steel at an IMAX in Phoenix. A very entertaining movie, and definitely had a Christopher Nolan feel to it with the soundtrack and the overall feel of the movie. It had a great cast, and I think the movie is a home run for the fans of superhero movies and sci-fi. There is definitely depth to the story and the history of Superman. The movie was very well acted and they did a good job establishing the backround of the main characters. The effects are tremendous, but I expected this from anything based on the Superman mythology based on his incredible powers, and anything with Nolan's name on it. I would recommend this movie as a good watch for all movie goers. It just makes you wonder where they will go from here.

:thumbsup:

I enjoyed the first half of the movie that involved the Krypton backstory and Superman trying to assimilate on Earth immensely but after General Zod & Friends showed up on Earth the second half involved a lot of protracted scenes of stuff blowing up while Superman v. Zod + Friends beat the crap out of each other that was repetitive

Worth the $$ - Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Pa & Ma Kent plus Russell Crowe as Jor-El (Supe's Krypton Dad) were excellent, as was Amy Adams as Lois Lane

The theater at which I watched the movie served beer, which was a big plus:thumbsup:

Buddha Bus
06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Go get this series. Epic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

After you read it, we can continue this debate. I don't want to spoil the ending. One of the greatest comics of all time.

I was just going to recommend the same thing till I read your post! :thumbsup:

Dark Knight was one of the best graphic novels ever!

PATS16N0
06-19-2013, 05:01 PM
This is an old movie but it's one of my all time favorites, and I'll urge everyone to watch it solely because for whatever reason, not a lot of people have heard of it.

TRUE ROMANCE.

It was Quentin Tarantino first - and best - script, but directed by the late, great Tony Scot, and scored by Hans Zimmer.

Cast:
Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Gary Oldman (his best role IMO)
Brad Pitt (first movie appearance)
Christopher Walken (classic scene)
Samuel L. Jackson
The guy who played Tony Soprano
+ bunch of others.

If you haven't seen this beast of a film, I'm jealous because you get to watch it for the first time. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

vasteeler
06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
This is an old movie but it's one of my all time favorites, and I'll urge everyone to watch it solely because for whatever reason, not a lot of people have heard of it.

TRUE ROMANCE.

It was Quentin Tarantino first - and best - script, but directed by the late, great Tony Scot, and scored by Hans Zimmer.

Cast:
Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Gary Oldman (his best role IMO)
Brad Pitt (first movie appearance)
Christopher Walken (classic scene)
Samuel L. Jackson
The guy who played Tony Soprano
+ bunch of others.

If you haven't seen this beast of a film, I'm jealous because you get to watch it for the first time. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

great movie:thumbsup:

i once asked a band mate if he had ever seen this movie and his reply was " im a metal head do you think im going to watch a movie called true romance" i just shook my head and walked away

PATS16N0
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
great movie:thumbsup:

i once asked a band mate if he had ever seen this movie and his reply was " im a metal head do you think im going to watch a movie called true romance" i just shook my head and walked away

Yup!

All my dumb ass friends I've ever told to watch it always assumed I was trying to get them to watch a romantic comedy or something.

I got the look like I was supposed to hand over my man-card, when really they should be giving up there's for never having seen this movie! :thumbsup:

teegre
06-19-2013, 09:28 PM
TRUE ROMANCE
I used to pull this (before I got married... and I pulled it on her, too... once. LOL).

"Hey Babe. It's all about YOU tonight. I always pick the movie... let's watch a romantic movie. Hey, check this one out: True Romance."

LOL

The script is different (better?) than the movie. QT wrote it nonlinear, but Tony Scott put it in chronological order. A good read... slightly different than the movie. Oh... and QT's ending is waaay better.

teegre
06-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Took the two-year old to her first movie: Monsters University.

I liked it. I like most of the Pixar movies. The good thing that they did, was that they did not try to "re-do" the first movie... and they did not go in a completely different direction (like they did in that awful Cars 2).

They focused on the character (& the development) of Mike Wazowski and Sully. Essentially, it shows how these two polar-opposite people (monsters) ultimately became best friends.

Not to spoil anything, but it is basically a lesson on: brains versus brawn (versus having both)... and/or... nurture versus nature (versus having both).

Again, I enjoyed it.

MasterOfPuppets
06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
watched "the purge" , last night. i liked it.
the woman playing the mom is actually english. couldn't hear any british accent at all. she plays the queen on game of thrones. she looks soooo different without the blonde wig.

Buddha Bus
06-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Took the two-year old to her first movie: Monsters University.

I liked it. I like most of the Pixar movies. The good thing that they did, was that they did not try to "re-do" the first movie... and they did not go in a completely different direction (like they did in that awful Cars 2).

They focused on the character (& the development) of Mike Wazowski and Sully. Essentially, it shows how these two polar-opposite people (monsters) ultimately became best friends.

Not to spoil anything, but it is basically a lesson on: brains versus brawn (versus having both)... and/or... nurture versus nature (versus having both).

Again, I enjoyed it.

I liked Monsters Inc. too. The wife and I love animated movies. We really liked Despicable Me and are looking forward to the new one. Steve Carell rules! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
watched "the grudge" , last night. i liked it.
the woman playing the mom is actually english. couldn't hear any british accent at all. she plays the queen on game of thrones. she looks soooo different without the blonde wig.

I think you're thinking of someone else. Lena Headley wasn't in The Grudge. A couple of girls can definitely be mistaken for her though. If you see her IMDB shot, you wouldn't even know it was her.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5MDMxMjM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA3Nzc5MQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

She's in The Purge as well, which I plan on watching tonight to see how much it sucks. I shall report back on this later.

***Holy crap...I just looked at a couple random pics, and she played the Mom in Sarah Connor Chronicles. She definitely looks WAY different on GoT.

SteelCityMom
06-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Lots of great kids movies coming out right now. Can't wait to see Monster U...I was always a big fan of Monsters Inc. as well. I'll probably wait for the DVD of Superman.

MasterOfPuppets
06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
I think you're thinking of someone else. Lena Headley wasn't in The Grudge. A couple of girls can definitely be mistaken for her though. If you see her IMDB shot, you wouldn't even know it was her.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5MDMxMjM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA3Nzc5MQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

She's in The Purge as well, which I plan on watching tonight to see how much it sucks. I shall report back on this later.

***Holy crap...I just looked at a couple random pics, and she played the Mom in Sarah Connor Chronicles. She definitely looks WAY different on GoT.
oops...i meant the purge. :doh:..i thought it would be lame , but i actually liked it....the grudge was lame.

SteelCityMom
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Oh haha...that makes sense then. You are forgiven good ser.

teegre
06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I liked Monsters Inc. too. The wife and I love animated movies. We really liked Despicable Me and are looking forward to the new one. Steve Carell rules! :thumbsup:

You should see it in the theaters... for this reason: I don't want to ruin the movie, but at one point, Mike asks Sully an important question... all of the adults quiet in anticipation of the answer... and you will hear at least one child in the audience state, "Say Yes."

That moment made the movie-going experience worthwhile.

SteelCityMom
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Watched The Purge last night, and it was pretty good. Only thing that bothered me was Ethan Hawke's face...he just looks, unnatural. Maybe it's the weird tan, I don't know...his face just bothered me.

From all that I'd read on the movie, it basically seems like you'll either really like it or hate it.

Was a great premise for a movie though, and I have a feeling they'll be doing sequels. Hope they don't screw those up too much because there's a ton that can be done with this idea. A prequel is definitely in order for this.

Synopsis of the movie:

In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can't be called. Hospitals suspend help. It's one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking. When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's (Ethan Hawke) gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary (Lena Headey), and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.

I'd give it 3.5/5, and would definitely recommend it. At under an hour and a half, it's a nice quick little thriller.

pczach
06-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Steve Carell rules! :thumbsup:

I like all his movies. I really liked Crazy, Stupid, Love. I was kind of surprised I liked it as much as I did. I don't know why I thought I might not like the movie, but Carell once again won me over. The guy is terrific.

JonM229
06-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm looking forward to The Wolf of Wall Street, especially because of this:

http://i.imgur.com/XMqh44U.gif

SteelCityMom
06-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Speaking of Steve Carell.... just got done watching The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. It was sort of a miss for me, which is a shame because it has such a fantastic cast (Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, James Gandolfini, Olivia Wylde, Jim Carrey, Alan Arkin).

Superstar magicians Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carell) and Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi) have ruled the Las Vegas Strip for years, raking in millions with illusions as big as Burt's growing ego. But lately the duo's greatest deception is their public friendship, while secretly they've grown to loathe each other. Facing cutthroat competition from guerrilla street magician Steve Gray (Jim Carrey), whose cult following surges with each outrageous stunt, even their show is starting to look stale. But there's still a chance Burt and Anton can save the act - both onstage and off - if only Burt can get back in touch with what made him love magic in the first place.

It had it's funny moments, but all in all was nothing that great. I'd give it a 2/5.

teegre
06-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Anyone seen "How to Train Your Dragon"?

SteelCityMom
06-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Anyone seen "How to Train Your Dragon"?

Yeah, saw that a while back. It's pretty good. Nothing extraordinary, but a good kids movie.

teegre
06-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah, saw that a while back. It's pretty good. Nothing extraordinary, but a good kids movie.

Thanks.

I enjoy the Pixar movies, but I can only watch them "so many times." I need a new movie to watch with the toddler... and I happened to see that one at the store (and wondered if it was any good)

It's gotta be better than watching "Finding Nemo" again. LOL

Atlanta Dan
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
The movies I have seen so far this year are pretty underwhelming but I have my hopes for this one coming out this fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszwuX1AK6A

Leonardo DiCaprio throws money, parties and little people in The Wolf of Wall Street.

The new trailer for the true-life drama, which teams DiCaprio with director Martin Scorsese for a fifth time, dives into the sex, drugs, yachts and 1990s excess of New York stockbroker Jordan Belfort, who penned the best-selling memoir The Wolf of Wall Street....

It's a serious story, but Scorsese and DiCaprio seem to be having a hoot with the craziness of Wall Street. The trailer alone features a half-naked marching band, primates, a dancing DiCaprio pop-and-locking and Matthew McConaughey beating on his chest.

The Wolf of Wall Street, which also stars Jonah Hill, Jon Favreau, Rob Reiner and Kyle Chandler, arrives in theaters Nov. 15.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/06/17/wolf-of-wall-street-movie-trailer/2429135/

teegre
06-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Leo + Martin = good movie

The Departed
The Aviator
The Gangs of New York
... & ...
The Wolf of Wallstreet

JonM229
06-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Leo + Martin = good movie

The Departed
The Aviator
The Gangs of New York
... & ...
The Wolf of Wallstreet

The Gangs of New York wouldn't have been nearly as good without Daniel Day-Lewis (the greatest actor of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkw1UgX3q0

SteelCityMom
06-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Watched Identity Thief last night. At first I was sure I was going to hate the movie...but I ended up really enjoying it. Sort of has a Plane, Trains, and Automobiles feel to it. Not nearly as good as that, but it did end up being fairly funny. I'd recommend it.

teegre
06-29-2013, 06:57 PM
The Gangs of New York wouldn't have been nearly as good without Daniel Day-Lewis (the greatest actor of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkw1UgX3q0

Agreed.

DDL takes any movie from good to great.

teegre
06-30-2013, 02:40 AM
The teenager had a sleepover, and rented "Movie 43." The next day, I figured, why not?

Mistake!!! What a piece of garbage. Do not waste your time.

I could have watched four episodes of "Arrested Development" in that same amount of time.

Buddha Bus
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks.

I enjoy the Pixar movies, but I can only watch them "so many times." I need a new movie to watch with the toddler... and I happened to see that one at the store (and wondered if it was any good)

It's gotta be better than watching "Finding Nemo" again. LOL

Have you seen "Over The Hedge" or "Rango" yet? Two great animated movies.

teegre
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Have you seen "Over The Hedge" or "Rango" yet? Two great animated movies.

Not yet... but, I shall add them to my queue.

Buddha Bus
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Not yet... but, I shall add them to my queue.

Oh.... and Steve Carell does a voice in "Over The Hedge" too. :thumbsup:

teegre
07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh.... and Steve Carell does a voice in "Over The Hedge" too. :thumbsup:

Uh... why was I not told earlier???

Buddha Bus
07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Uh... why was I not told earlier???

"Cuz you didn't ask, silly.

fer522
07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
i finally finished watching Olympus has fallen. pretty good movie 8/10

SteelCityMom
07-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Just watched a good, creepy indie thriller last night called Shadow People. Stars Dallas Roberts (Milton from The Walking Dead) and Alison Eastwood (Clint's daughter).

It's based off of what some consider to be an actual phenomenon and combines footage from a documentary (can't remember the name of it, but it's listed in the credits) within the movie. At about an hour and a half, it's a good little view.

A radio talk show host unravels a conspiracy about encounters with mysterious beings known as The Shadow People and their role in the unexplained deaths of several hundred victims in the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszVo4me9qc

SteelCityMom
07-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Also, I need some good ideas for some good horror/thriller movies to watch. They can be mainstream, but I've probably seen it if it is. I think I've gone through everything half decent there is to watch on NetFlix in the genre. They can be foreign or domestic, and they can be very indie...I just need some new ideas.

JonM229
07-07-2013, 02:15 PM
John Dies at the End is a good horror-comedy. The book (written by Cracked.com editor David Wong) is even better and also deals with Shadow People, though the movie doesn't include them much.

SteelCityMom
07-07-2013, 02:27 PM
John Dies at the End is a good horror-comedy. The book (written by Cracked.com editor David Wong) is even better and also deals with Shadow People, though the movie doesn't include them much.

Nevermind, that was a short film....I can't find it.

:doh: I just realized that you're talking about the book John Dies at the End. I was searching all over IMDB for a movie called The Book. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
07-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Oh, and John Dies at the End was definitely good. Highly recommend it to anyone who like stuff like Bubba Ho-Tep or Army of Darkness (*looks at Buddha*).

JonM229
07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Don Coscarelli also directed Bubbha Ho-Tep (as well as Phantasm)

SteelCityMom
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh man... I have to, HAVE TO, see this. It just sounds so deliciously horrible. I usually try to stay away from SyFy and Asylum productions, but nothing can keep me from...

SHARKNADO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XxuBIiFZKs

Here's a review of it that will make you want to both run away from this as quickly as possible, and make you want to see just how horrible it is at the same time. I for one, can't wait!

http://www.horrorsociety.com/2013/07/08/sharknado-2013-review/

SteelCityMom
07-08-2013, 10:22 PM
As for satiating my horror needs, at least a bit...I turned to my old standby, Bloody Disgusting.

Winona, a successful artist looking to get away from her stressful life. Her manager rents her a house in her home town where she runs in to an old boyfriend. They go back to the house, only to find out it is not as empty as they assumed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez63wcgoykc

It's definitely not the best...there are some much better Bloody Disgusting films on NetFlix Streaming (Exit Humanity, Chop, Outcast, Cold Fish, Rammbock: Berlin Undead, The Woman, Phase 7, Atrocious, and The Pack). My favorite, that isn't on NetFlix streaming, is YellowBrickRoad. Truth or Die isn't bad either.

If you're a horror fan, check them all out.

Check out their site as well, they promote and produce a lot of good indie horror.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/

SteelCityMom
07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm also going to be reprising my love for Hammer Horror Films. It's been too long.

Is it fucking Halloween yet??

teegre
07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
SCMom,
I happened to see "The Bay."

Not sure if I would call it good, but it is better than Sharknado. LOL Really though, being an OCD germphobe, I figured that I would have been more creeped out by it. But, I simply wasn't. It was a decent movie, but again, I would not call it good. But, if you are looking for a horror film, it's worth a watch.

More importantly, if you've seen it, I'd like your review of it.

btw: I love Halloween, because a) new horror films, and b) horror movie marathons on the cable channels & such.

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 12:32 AM
SCMom,
I happened to see "The Bay."

Not sure if I would call it good, but it is better than Sharknado. LOL Really though, being an OCD germphobe, I figured that I would have been more creeped out by it. But, I simply wasn't. It was a decent movie, but again, I would not call it good. But, if you are looking for a horror film, it's worth a watch.

More importantly, if you've seen it, I'd like your review of it.

btw: I love Halloween, because a) new horror films, and b) horror movie marathons on the cable channels & such.

I haven't seen it yet...but it looks good enough to watch (and I'm a sucker for found footage movies). Downloading it now, and will probably watch it tomorrow.

As for found footage stuff (if you like it)...a couple that are under appreciated are Look, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Home Movie, and The Last Broadcast (which many think was the inspiration for Blair Witch).

Look is definitely original in that it's shot entirely through surveillance cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wX8-l1IIsE

JonM229
07-09-2013, 08:20 AM
There's a pretty creepy Japanese found footage horror movie called Noroi (which translates to The Curse). I believe the whole thing can be watched on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqhB8g8nB4

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Just stumbled upon this thread.

I'm a bit of a movie nerd.

Is this thread for newer movies only or general discussion...?

JonM229
07-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Any and all movies

....except the ones directed by Michael Bay, they have no place here

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
There's a pretty creepy Japanese found footage horror movie called Noroi (which translates to The Curse). I believe the whole thing can be watched on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqhB8g8nB4

That does look pretty good...going to have to check that out soon too. Funny how the best found footage movies are usually foreign. Trollhunter, [REC], Cannibal Holocaust. Atrocious is pretty good too (it's on NetFlix streaming). I think it's Spanish or Mexican, can't remember. The story is really good, but my only issue with it was there was a lot of filming while running around, which can get pretty disorienting. It's worth a watch though.

Just general. Whatever you're watching, want to see, want to recommend, or want to tell people to avoid like the plague. So have at it!

I myself am mostly into Horror, thriller, and sci-fi...but love all sorts of movies (least favorite are westerns and rom-coms).

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Just general. Whatever you're watching, want to see, want to recommend, or want to tell people to avoid like the plague. So have at it!

Oh boy!

I just peed a little.

I'll try and make a list of the best/worst I"ve seen over the years (I watch ~150+ movies a year), but until then...

I've been watching MST3K from the beginning (http://www.club-mst3k.com/). So far standouts include:

The Sidehackers
The Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent
Master Ninja

The shorts: Mr. B Natural (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZO2-zozg4) and A Case of Spring Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJD0GTwLkVM)are pretty epic, too.

And obviously classics like Pod People, Manos: The Hands of Fate , Hobgoblins, and others are 'must see'.

Thank God I'm on leave so I can make an extensive list now...

JonM229
07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Some of my favorite MST3K episodes:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Timechasers
Werewolf
Space Mutiny

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I just cried a little man... I think I love you now.

The Mantis is a must see. As is The Mole People. Season 8 is just really great all around.

Get on some Hercules and Gamera too.

My favorites BY FAR is Time of the Apes. I don't think I knew what love was until I watched it.

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Some of my favorite MST3K episodes:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Timechasers
Werewolf
Space Mutiny

All very good as well...and I'd add in Soultaker, just so you can get the whole Joe Estevez experience.

Oh, and my favorite Mike episodes are definitely a toss up between Hobgoblins and Final Sacrifice. Rowsdower!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJd3g6LGSFc

JonM229
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
All very good as well...and I'd add in Soultaker, just so you can get the whole Joe Estevez experience.

Oh, and my favorite Mike episodes are definitely a toss up between Hobgoblins and Final Sacrifice. Rowsdower!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJd3g6LGSFc

I can't believe I forgot to mention Soooooouuuuuuultaker.

Final Sacrifice was amazing as well, though I haven't yet seen Hobgoblins

Have you watched any of the Rifftrax stuff? I've been on the fence for a while if I want to give that a try or not.

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
You both need to go to RiffTrax Live in August (Mike, Tom and Bill do the riffing for RiffTrax). It's a live show telesynced to theaters. They are doing Starship Troopers this year. Here's when it is taking place and the participating theaters. These shows have been so much fun in the past! If you like MST, you'll enjoy this as well.

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!starship-troopers/more-info/details

RiffTrax home page.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention Soooooouuuuuuultaker.

Final Sacrifice was amazing as well, though I haven't yet seen Hobgoblins

Have you watched any of the Rifftrax stuff? I've been on the fence for a while if I want to give that a try or not.

I'm a huge RiffTrax fan, as well as Cinematic Titanic (Joel, Frank, Mary Jo, Josh, Trace).

Both have a number of episodes available for free on Hulu.

And get your ass on Hobgoblins. It's the shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbX46gG0Bk

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
RiffTrax doing Birdemic was a fucking masterpiece. That's all I have to say about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQVv_qNKkQQ

Again, if you're on the fence about them, go check out some of their stuff on Hulu. They have both movies and shorts (including their Live airing of Reefer Madness).

http://www.hulu.com/companies/rifftrax

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
My favorites BY FAR is Time of the Apes. I don't think I knew what love was until I watched it.

I don't care!

http://livingwithanerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/mst3k-time-of-the-apes.jpg

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 03:09 PM
...I'd add in Soultaker, just so you can get the whole Joe Estevez experience.

What about Robert Z'Dar?!

To quote Crow, 'it's like a catcher's mitt with eyes!'

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 03:12 PM
RiffTrax doing Birdemic was a fucking masterpiece. That's all I have to say about that.

This x1000

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Alright, more seriously...

Going through my movie EXCEL file (yes, I am a nerd) here are notable movies (out of 900 and counting):

If you haven't already, 'must see' for 'Film' lovers (I emphasize FILM in the 'smug' sense):
Run Lola Run
Cocaine Cowboys
A Face in the Crowd
Cidade de Deus (City of God)
Das Boot: Director's Cut
Brick
Solaris (The Tarkovsky version)

More recent 'good' and/or 'fun' movies:
Black Dynamite
Moon
MacGruber
Four Lions
Shaolin Soccer

Semi-recent more 'intense' movies:
Sin Nombre
Bug
Tape

Worst movies suffered through (DO NOT watch these and if you have, I'm sorry):
Under the Cherry Moon
The Fountain
The Black Dahlia
Coyote Ugly (still the only movie I've turned off/not finished)

JonM229
07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I didn't hate The Fountain, though it's definitely at the bottom of my list for Aronofsky.

I made the mistake of seeing The Wrestler the same day I lost my last job. While I thought it was excellent, I just wanted to feel better, not worse.

Buddha Bus
07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Favorite MST3K movies:

Pod People
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Space Mutiny
Cave Dwellers
Prince of Space
The Brain That Wouldn't Die
Soultaker
Attack of the Giant Leeches
Eegah!

.... and the single greatest MST3K movie ever......

MITCHELL

Joe Don Baker is my fat hero.

JonM229
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
"Have you met my grandma-daughter?"

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
"Have you met my grandma-daughter?"

"Put your helmet on, we'll be reaching speeds of three!"

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 06:13 PM
What about Robert Z'Dar?!

To quote Crow, 'it's like a catcher's mitt with eyes!'

Who could forget? :chuckle:

The ending is one of my favorite MST moments as well. I think of it every time I watch a movie with a happy romantic ending.

Tom Servo: Soooo, Poodle Hair and Rubber Lips drive off into the sunset. And it's sunshine and roses-ever-after, ay?

Mike: Uh, you seem dubious.

TS: Yeah Mike, I am dubious. I'm dubious. My guess is that on the way home Scrawny Boy there leans over to rub his Carnuba-waxed lips on his little honey and ends up ditching that sweet ride of his. Crow, you with me on this?

Crow: Oh, no doubt. Things don't go near as smoothly as Mike would like us to think.

Mike: Wait, I didn't say things---

Crow: Noooo, Mike's living in a fool's paradise.

TS: Dreamer.

Crow: No happy endings for our heroes.

Mike: No?

Crow: After Teenboy puts his ride in the ditch there, he needs extra money to pay the insurance costs. And to buy a new disc sander and a couple of gallons of Bondo. So he takes a second job at Carl's Jr.

TS: Yep yep, and about a week into his new job, he comes to pick her up in his busted car, wearing a big orange hat and smelling of frying medium, and she cools on the whole relationship immediately.

Crow: Only it drags out painfully for about another month cuz she doesn't have the guts to tell the second-rate Matt Lattanzi to take the train!

TS: Yep Yep Yep, and finally she gives him the news through the drive-up intercom that she just wants to be "friends". And when the whole restaurant is finally done laughing at the poor clod, he walks off the job and drives straight to the municipal liquor store to pick up a quart of lemon-flavored gin and a six-pack of Red Grape Malt Duck.

Crow: Uh yeah, hang on. Mike might think that was the happy ending.

Mike: Ha, you guys really think I'm a naive Pollyanna, don't ya?

Crow: Ummmmmmmm, yes we do.

TS: Hang on, there's more, Mr. Rose-colored Glasses. So he drinks his way through the whole paper bag, drives a good 75 yards and crashes into a pole.

Crow: Well, the car hangs on to the base of the light pole so he can't get out of there. He thumbs a ride back to his house but the police arrive about 45 minutes later, wake him up and give him the Breathalyzer.

TS: He blows a 1.3 so it's off to the crowbar motel for Mike's little pal.

Crow: Well of course, he calls his former girlfriend to come pick him up but Mom answers the phone and hangs up on him.

TS: His "one call" spent, he stays the night at the place with the striped sunlight - courtesy of the county.

Crow: Soon he's straining rubbing alcohol through pieces of burnt toast he found out behind Zelda's Diner.

TS: Um-hm

Mike: Hang on, wait a minute. I think that's a touch bleak.

Crow: Well, you know, maybe you're right, Mike. Maybe they have a wondrous, frilly wedding. In the frou-frou land of bunnies where magical fairies blow kisses to the stars and polka-dotted toadstools sing "Good Ship Lollipop" to the tiny mice in their little feety pajamas.

Mike: Oh ok, and there's nothing in-between? It's either grain alcohol in back alleys or a happy world of rodents in feety pajamas?

TS: YES!

Crow: I mean, why is that so hard to accept?

Mike: You know, you guys need help. Geez.

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't hate The Fountain...

You being a Ravens fan: no big deal.

You not hating The Fountain: ?!!!?!?!?!?!?!111

teegre
07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Any and all movies

....except the ones directed by Michael Bay, they have no place here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3GJiZqDCI

NSMaster56
07-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Favorite MST3K movies:

Pod People

My all time favorite since it was the first episode I ever saw.

Talk about 'fate'.

Huzzah!

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
The Bay was pretty good. Got me all mentally prepared for our trip up to Lake Erie. :chuckle:

The acting wasn't the best...but I usually don't expect much from horror and found footage movies. I enjoyed the premise though, and it gives us all another reason to look down on the Baltimore area. :heh:

JonM229
07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
You shut your mouth about Baltimore. You should watch something better that casts the city in a good light, like The Wire

SteelCityMom
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
You shut your mouth about Baltimore. You should watch something better that casts the city in a good light, like The Wire

Or Mondo Trasho and Pink Flamingos.

MasterOfPuppets
07-09-2013, 11:52 PM
just watched the lone ranger. they're calling it a flop because it didn't bring in 200 million its first weekend. even seen an article suggesting that johnny depps eccentric portrayal of characters has gotten old to viewers. johnny depp did his part to make this movie entertaining. they claim the movie had a 225 million dollar budget , but i can't for the life of me see what they spent it on. it wasn't a huge special effect movie ,and it looks like most of it was filmed in new mexico or arizona. outside of depp there wasn't really any other A list actors that i know of.
i enjoyed it and would recommend it ...:thumbsup:

SteelerEmpire
07-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Don't know if this was posted already, but here- I believe this is due out in a couple weeks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZNVPiyl_ag

NSMaster56
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
The Wire

Is there a 'TV Show' thread?

Cause I could talk The Wire all day.

Best. Show. Ever.

SteelCityMom
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Is there a 'TV Show' thread?

Cause I could talk The Wire all day.

Best. Show. Ever.

The 'Hines Ward does the Walking Dead' thread had sort of become the de facto TV show thread, but it's been dead for a while. I actually meant to start a new thread for just discussing TV, but forgot. I'll get on that. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Not sure if you Mysties have seen it yet...but one of my favorite underrated episodes are Village of the Giants and Alien From LA (I had actually seen this on cable before MST, and liked it, despite Kathy Irelands squeaky voice :chuckle: ).

Village of the Giants is loosely based off of H.G. Wells' Food of the Gods, directed by Bert I. Gordon and stars Tommy Kirk, Beau Bridges, and Ron Howard. It's a very easily watched episode and very well riffed.

JonM229
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I just watched Battle Royale last night. Holy shit, did The Hunger Games rip that off. If you're looking for The Hunger Games without the politics and much, much more violence I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCoPbkvyWEI

Vis
07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Pacific Rim
Monster-walloping made fun again.

By Dana Stevens|Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013, at 6:27 PM

After you’ve seen Pacific Rim, come back and listen to our Spoiler Special:

I’m not sure how to justify my sense that Guillermo Del Toro’s Pacific Rim is a cut above your average summer blockbuster in which monsters and giant robots cause major damage to iconic city skylines against a post-apocalyptic landscape. This 132-minute movie certainly has its share of long, hard-to-follow battle sequences, thinly developed human characters, and grating comic relief. Yet somehow coming out of Pacific Rim I felt energized rather than enervated, excited to describe certain nifty details of the film’s wacked-out imaginary world to friends, maybe even ready to … sit through certain parts again?

Pacific Rim is unashamedly a film for little kids—at times it feels almost like a very well-made “look at my toys” YouTube video by a little kid, albeit one with a staggering collection of action figures. But where the Transformers franchise has the soul-deadening effect of an extended toy infomercial, Pacific Rim offers at least some sense of watching an imagination at play. It’s based on an original story by Del Toro’s co-screenwriter Travis Beacham—original not just in the sense that it isn’t based on any pre-existing movie, comic book, TV show, or line of toys, but in the sense that it’s sort of weird. In this movie’s near future, the Earth has been attacked by creatures known as the Kaiju (the word in Japanese means “strange beast,” and is also the name of the genre of giant-monster movies launched by 1954’s Godzilla). The Kaiju—whose rapid evolution means that they can easily appear either as serpentine sea monsters, dinosaur-like land reptiles, or insectoid flying horrors—came from deep within the Earth’s core, but also somehow through a portal to another universe located in an underwater passage called “the Breach.” Humanity’s only defense against these invaders (other than a short-lived experiment at a peaceable “Wall of Life,” which the monsters tear through like so much cookie dough) are gigantic fighting robots called Jaegers (German for “hunters”). Because of their enormous size—we’re talking 25-plus stories high—Jaegers can only be operated by pairs of specially trained pilots, each in command of one-half the robot’s body, their brains locked into a state of intimate connectedness known as “neural drift.”

All this terminology is swiftly laid out in a kind of pre-credits tutorial, in which we also learn that the voiceover provider (and nominal, if cypher-like, main character) is Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam), a once-cocky Jaeger pilot who’s lost his beloved brother and co-pilot to the monsters as a result of disobeying a direct order. That’s not a wise thing to do when your commander is a legendary ex-Jaeger pilot with the glorious name of Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba). Crushed by his brother’s death, Becket leaves piloting behind and takes a job at the ill-fated Wall of Life, but he’s coaxed back into the cockpit—or rather, the enormous robot torso—by Pentecost, whose embattled Jaeger fleet is making a last stand before it’s phased out by the UN (which in a decade or two will apparently unilaterally arbitrate all worldwide disputes—congrats in advance to whoever turns that organization around!).

To achieve the state of “neural drift” with a co-pilot requires not only a familial sense of closeness—the teams we meet include an Australian father and son, a Russian brother and sister, and a set of Chinese triplets—but an ability to share memories and sense impressions. These inward journeys are also witnessed by the audience, in the form of trippy neural-pathway-cam montages that sometimes morph into legitimate flashbacks. I loved Del Toro’s confident shifts in between psychedelic, vaguely touchy-feely Matrix territory (“Don’t chase the rabbit! Stay in the drift. The drift is silence.”) and introspection-free monster-on-robot action, though I might have wished for a little more world-building in place of the world-destruction. The sheer scale and design of the creatures remains thrilling even when, for those not versed in the kaiju and mecha cultures that inspired the beast and ’bot designers, their sessions of whaling on each other get a little confusing and redundant. At least Del Toro mixes up the look and staging of the fight scenes—one in midair, the next (spectacularly) underwater, the next a semicomic encounter with a hungry baby Kaiju just burst from the womb—so that we never know what to expect next from these rapidly mutating world-marauders.

The human stories that take place in the interstices between Kaiju/Jaeger battles and neural-drift freak-outs are the Achilles’ heel in Pacific Rim’s ingeniously designed armor. Idris Elba is effortlessly charismatic (not to mention knee-meltingly handsome) as the authoritative Pentecost, and he gets off one good laugh line when a subordinate dares to invade his well-policed personal space. But Pentecost’s longstanding paternal relationship with the young female pilot Mako Mori (Babel’s Rinko Kikuchi) is sketched far too hastily to resonate with the audience, as is Mori’s partnership-turned-romance with Hunnam’s Becket. Becket has to be one of the most unprepossessing male leads in an action movie since Ryan Reynolds in The Green Lantern. Not that it’s entirely Hunnam’s fault, given that his character description can be reduced to “blandly attractive guy who’s sad because his brother died.” I didn’t mind Pacific Rim’s sometimes hokey dialogue, like the once-more-unto-the-breach oration in which Pentecost inspires his Jaeger team with the promise that “Today, we are canceling the Apocalypse”—it all seemed like part of the movie’s genial Saturday-afternoon-matinee vibe. But I wish those cheesy lines had been spoken by characters I’d had at least one more scene to get to know.

Opinions will be divided on the comic-relief segments featuring Charlie Day and Burn Gorman as two bumbling scientists with conflicting theories as to how to approach the study of Kaiju. Day’s character, whose obsession with procuring an intact Kaiju brain eventually gets him mixed up with black-market organ dealer Hannibal Chau (Ron Perlman), has a high-pitched voice and manic demeanor that frayed at my nerves, but I suspect the character’s broad humor and insatiable curiosity will appeal to young viewers—it’s a role Rick Moranis could have played back in the day. (Come back to the movies soon, Rick.) Perlman, a constant in Del Toro’s filmography long before his stint in the Hellboy movies, gets little to do with his enormous screen presence other than snarl at underlings while wearing steampunk goggles and gold-plated shoes (I wanted an extended Perlman-led tour of the Kaiju-organ-harvesting underworld, with all the rad props that would no doubt entail).

Perlman does appear in a goofy mid-credits stinger that, refreshingly, drops nary a portentous hint at a sequel.

But Pacific Rim’s ability to make monster-walloping feel fun again will no doubt make Atlantic Seaboard (or maybe Mediterranean Coastal Region) as inevitable a follow-up as the return of the Kaiju through that pesky underwater portal.

Vis
07-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Going to Pacific Rim in IMAX 3d with the kids today. Actually excited.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2013, 07:20 AM
watched "host" last night and really enjoyed the movie. I believe the book was written by the same person that wrote the twilight series.

The female lead in the movie was INCREDIBLE..

One of the best acting performances since Sylvester Stallone in Expendables 2 (I kid)

NSMaster56
07-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Going to Pacific Rim in IMAX 3d with the kids today. Actually excited.

It was pretty much what you'd expect from a big-budget movie where giant robots fight monsters.

Lots of fan service, plenty of action, thin on plot/characters, underlying pro-American message.

6.0/10 as a 'film' (at best)
8.0/10 or higher as a 'popcorn' flick.

Vis
07-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I liked it. Some cheesy lines but fun.

NSMaster56
07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I liked it. Some cheesy lines but fun.

Yeah, it was okay.

Vis
07-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I missed the pro American message though given that everybody was either Asian or Australia. It was pacific rim I think It was Pro Pacific

JonM229
07-14-2013, 03:36 PM
It was nice to see giant, fighting robots in the hands of a capable director. Also, Ron Perlman makes everything better.

Vis
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
It was nice to see giant, fighting robots in the hands of a capable director. Also, Ron Perlman makes everything better.

But where were Ultraman and Johnny Sakko?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1p1iGZYb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2w1jgA72hw

vasteeler
07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
But where were Ultraman and Johnny Sakko?

wow......i haven't met too many people that had even heard of johnny sokko and his flying robot. i used to love that as a kid, ultraman too

ricardisimo
07-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Just saw it last night. Pretty bad. Had to keep reminding myself that I'm no longer nine, and that if the dialogue were poorly dubbed I'd appreciate it more.

Why did they take so long to pull out the swords, and why was the "Category 5" kaiju so underwhelming?

Vis
07-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Just saw it last night. Pretty bad. Had to keep reminding myself that I'm no longer nine, and that if the dialogue were poorly dubbed I'd appreciate it more.

Why did they take so long to pull out the swords, and why was the "Category 5" kaiju so underwhelming?

You can't question plot points on a movie like that. you watch it once like it's a ride at Cedar Point

ricardisimo
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
You can't question plot points on a movie like that. you watch it once like it's a ride at Cedar Point
True enough, but this was actually one movie where, unlike Man of Steel, I think less dialogue and character development would have been fine. Just blow shit up, please. Whenever they tried explaining or setting anything up, it just became embarrassing. Like I said, they set up the "Category 5" monster, and you'd think it would have been twice as large as it wound up being. Lame.

Vis
07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
True enough, but this was actually one movie where, unlike Man of Steel, I think less dialogue and character development would have been fine. Just blow shit up, please. Whenever they tried explaining or setting anything up, it just became embarrassing. Like I said, they set up the "Category 5" monster, and you'd think it would have been twice as large as it wound up being. Lame.

I suspect that was originally a bigger fight but was trimmed. . What bothered me is how long the jaeger bombs took to be deployed.

Buddha Bus
07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
What bothered me is how long the jaeger bombs took to be deployed.

You just need to frequent less crowded bars. :chuckle:

http://warandpizza.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/101012-jaeger-bomb.jpg

I do want to see Pacific Rim. I like Charlie Hunnam as a fan of Sons of Anarchy. Was he any good in this flick?

ricardisimo
07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
You just need to frequent less crowded bars. :chuckle:

http://warandpizza.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/101012-jaeger-bomb.jpg

I do want to see Pacific Rim. I like Charlie Hunnam as a fan of Sons of Anarchy. Was he any good in this flick?
He was paid to be hot, I guess, but was constantly getting upstaged by a Rinko Kikuchi who was barely even trying.

Mostly I just like saying Rinko Kikuchi. She made my kikuchi feel funny.

Buddha Bus
07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
He was paid to be hot, I guess, but was constantly getting upstaged by a Rinko Kikuchi who was barely even trying.

Mostly I just like saying Rinko Kikuchi. She made my kikuchi feel funny.

Guess I'm waiting for the release on Blu-Ray then. :popcorn:

teegre
07-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Anyone seen "Depsicable Me 2" yet?

As good as the first one? Worth seeing in the theaters?

MasterOfPuppets
07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
white house down - sucked ass . how many times is hollywood gonna recycle the "terrorist take over white house" idea.

killing season - i wouldn't say it was bad , but it also wasn't good. i expected better from a DeNiro , travolta film.

Vis
07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Anyone seen "Depsicable Me 2" yet?

As good as the first one? Worth seeing in the theaters?

My daughter loved it.

teegre
07-15-2013, 05:49 PM
My daughter loved it.

She's ten.

My sense of humor is that of a ten-year old.

Sounds perfect to me!!!

JonM229
07-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I saw Despicable Me 2 without seeing the first and still found it enjoyable.

GBMelBlount
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM

I am taking my daughter to see that Thursday.

It was between that and Monsters University (I believe).

I gotta say the first time I saw animated outtakes I was rolling. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXpQwlIBLY

Buddha Bus
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Both the original Monsters Inc. and Despicable Me were great animated movies. Fun for kids and adults alike.

GBMelBlount
07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh, and this looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNytA-KumTE

My daughter and I have seen this twice.

Hysterical.

teegre
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM

So... it's dog friendly.

teegre
07-15-2013, 11:14 PM

That's our plan for Thursday afternoon, as well.

Monsters U was very good.

The bloopers & outtakes for Pixar movies are awesome.

teegre
07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
We saw "Despicable Me 2"... and simply, it was good.

But...

I think I can equate it with "Star Wars: Episode III." After Episodes I & II, the feedback that George Lucas received was that the best parts were the lightsaber battles. In turn, Lucas had seven lightsaber battles in his final movie. In a word: overkill.

Likewise, it seems that the feedback from "Despicable Me" was that the best parts included the Minions. In turn, there was a ton of Minion scenes. Again, overkill.

StainlessStill
07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
DM2 was alright, saw it this past weekend with the girl. Nothing to really write home about. Seemed like the typical Animation Summer Flick that families enjoy. Some great family fun, but nothing different in terms of "WOW."

Wreck-It-Ralph remains my favorite thus far. That was an awesome animation movie with one of the funnest plots I've seen in awhile within the animation genre.

As for the summer, I'm a diehard Supes fan and have been waiting for Man of Steel since 2008. Lived up to the wait and expectation. Seen it 6 times in theaters. A ballsy take on the franchise Supes needed to get away from Reeve's rendition.

Hopefully we get a sequel announcement soon, specifically at Comic Con this weekend, if not, shortly after. Get ready for the DC Universe to EXPLODE. A Worlds Finest movie eventually has boner written all over it.

We'll see how The Wolverine performs. I think Jackman's character told it all. Would eventually like a reboot and recast to the vicious comic-book Wolvie. Short, stalky, hairy and downright RUTHLESS.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
We saw "Despicable Me 2"... and simply, it was good.

But...

I think I can equate it with "Star Wars: Episode III." After Episodes I & II, the feedback that George Lucas received was that the best parts were the lightsaber battles. In turn, Lucas had seven lightsaber battles in his final movie. In a word: overkill.

Likewise, it seems that the feedback from "Despicable Me" was that the best parts included the Minions. In turn, there was a ton of Minion scenes. Again, overkill.

My daughter and I went to see this yesterday as well.

I agree with your take on it. It was simply good and the minions was overdone.

In retropsect I probably would have liked Monsters University better. Perhaps that will be the next one we see...or maybe Wreck It Ralph. :drink:

StainlessStill
07-19-2013, 11:29 AM
or maybe Wreck It Ralph. :drink:

I'm telling yah, man. Round up the troops, get to your nearest Family Video or what-have-you, grab some popcorn and enjoy this one. Not only will the kids love it, you will as well. A great nostalgic piece and throwback to my child-hood with past video games that bring you back. It's an all-around fantastic, well put together animation film. My favorite thus far.:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
07-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Can. Not. Wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8V5otf3RE

Vis
07-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Wolverine today or not?

teegre
07-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Wolverine today or not?

I'm on vacation for three weeks... starting the day it came out. Man, I wanted to see it. If anyone sees it, post a grade (but, no spoilers).

(At least the reason that I cant see it, is because I'm on vacation... instead of work. I'll survive... especially during the week in Jamaica.)

JonM229
07-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I watched House of the Devil last night. Great buildup of suspense throughout, doesn't rely on gore or jump scares. I would recommend it to any true horror fans.

Buddha Bus
07-28-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm on vacation for three weeks... starting the day it came out. Man, I wanted to see it. If anyone sees it, post a grade (but, no spoilers).

(At least the reason that I cant see it, is because I'm on vacation... instead of work. I'll survive... especially during the week in Jamaica.)

Turns out Wolverine's a mutant. Ooops, sorry about the spoiler. :doh: :chuckle:

teegre
07-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Turns out Wolverine's a mutant. Ooops, sorry about the spoiler. :doh: :chuckle:

I'll never forgive you for that. Now the movie is RUINED. I might as well go see the new Pauly Shore movie.

Buddha Bus
07-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I'll never forgive you for that. Now the movie is RUINED. I might as well go see the new Pauly Shore movie.

Pauly Shore movies are sooooo 1990s. You might wanna catch the new Dane Cook flick instead. :popcorn:

teegre
07-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Pauly Shore movies are sooooo 1990s. You might wanna catch the new Dane Cook flick instead. :popcorn:

That's low. I thought we were friends. Man... suggesting I see a Dane Cook movie. You might as well have shot my dog. Geez, man.

Buddha Bus
07-28-2013, 08:14 AM
That's low. I thought we were friends. Man... suggesting I see a Dane Cook movie. You might as well have shot my dog. Geez, man.

And Pauly Shore's better? Are you a self-loather or something?