PDA

View Full Version : Branch Given Permission for Trade

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2006, 01:50 PM
More on Branch
Negotiations regarding a contract extension for wide receiver Deion Branch took an unexpected turn today, with the Patriots allowing Branch to seek a trade. The team is also allowing Branch to negotiate a contract with other teams up to Sept. 1.

Negotiations between the two sides have been dead for some time. Branch is in the final year of a five-year contract he signed as a rookie in 2002, but has held out of training camp. Branch could be fined $14,000 per day, should the Patriots choose to take that course of action.

The breakdown in talks traces to May, when the Patriots attempted to spark negotiations by offering Branch a contract extension through 2009. The offer included a $4 million signing bonus and $4 million option bonus payable in 2007. Branch's base salary for 2006 would be $1.045 million, followed by salaries of $1.4 million in 2007, $4.3 million in 2008, and $4.75 million in 2009. The deal also included workout bonuses of $300,000.

Over the four years of the deal, Branch would be paid just shy of $5 million per year. Assessing only the three years added to the original contract, plus bonus money, Branch would be averaging about $6.25 million per year.

One source said the sides were in different stratospheres at the time.

Branch?s representatives indicated that Branch would report to training camp if the team agreed not to place the franchise tag on Branch after the 2006 season, which would allow him to enter unrestricted free agency.

Earlier this week, Branch spoke with CBS4 and said: ?I?m pretty sure everything is going to work out.? He also noted that he?s watched the Patriots? first two exhibition games and felt the team looked good, but would look better ?when and if? he returned.

The Patriots released the following statement today:

?The New England Patriots have given Deion Branch permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other clubs. This permission will extend until September 1, 2006.?

Livinginthe past
08-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Wow.

That is an unexpected turn of events.

I have my doubts as to whether a deal can be struck between now and the 1st September with any other teams.

Can the Patriots really demand a 1st round pick for a wideout that they refuse to give No.1 receiver money to?

My own feeling is that this is another stage of hardball being played by Patriots management - forcing Deion to look at the reality of what other teams are willing to offer for his services.

Anybody want to take some pot shots at who might be interested?

I'll go ahead an pencil in the Redskins as they seem to be inyetested in just about every free agent.

A player for player transaction would hold the most immediate interest for Patriots fans , I think.

NM

tony hipchest
08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
branch is stupid. he will find this out when there are no takers for a trade. phily may offer a 5th and im sure the pats will laugh. i am already on record guessing sf may be interrested in him next year. grren bay would be wise to offer a 4th or 5th

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2006, 02:01 PM
With not knowing every teams payroll..and just going by need...Kansas City and Green Bay are in serious need of recievers...and Minnesota lost Koren Robinson

BlackNGold203
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
branch is so screwed.....

hardwork
08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
I have my doubts as to whether a deal can be struck between now and the 1st September with any other teams.

My own feeling is that this is another stage of hardball being played by Patriots management - forcing Deion to look at the reality of what other teams are willing to offer for his services.

NM

You got it.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-26-2006, 03:16 AM
branch is so screwed.....

I agree and you know I really feel bad for the Pats. :rolleyes:

I know the 'Holier Than Thou' mentalilty is just a brief departure from the 'REAL' Patriot Team where family squabbles are internals matters. :rolleyes:

Now? What did McGinnest just say a few weeks ago? How's that wrist Teddi. :rolleyes:

hardwork
08-26-2006, 03:22 AM
Branch will be there to take the field in Feb. as the Patriots get SB victory number 4.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Why should we care? Disruption within that division is good for us. The Golden Boy is weeping. Great news.

Ambridge
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow.

That is an unexpected turn of events.

Can the Patriots really demand a 1st round pick for a wideout that they refuse to give No.1 receiver money to?

Anybody want to take some pot shots at who might be interested?

I'll go ahead an pencil in the Redskins as they seem to be inyetested in just about every free agent.

A player for player transaction would hold the most immediate interest for Patriots fans , I think.

NM

The way Mark Brunell has looked the Redskins might want check the availability of Matt Kassel first.
The only teams I've heard that have the cap space to work a deal for Branch is Philadelphia and Minnesota??

IMO Branch will get a rude awakening when he finds out his value on the open market and he'll be back in New England.
He should just play out his final year and produce a monster season then he can have a bigger value/asking price next year.

Livinginthe past
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
The way Mark Brunell has looked the Redskins might want check the availability of Matt Kassel first.
The only teams I've heard that have the cap space to work a deal for Branch is Philadelphia and Minnesota??

IMO Branch will get a rude awakening when he finds out his value on the open market and he'll be back in New England.
He should just play out his final year and produce a monster season then he can have a bigger value/asking price next year.

Thats pretty much how I see it aswell.

Im not too sure where Branch and Chayut got the idea that they could hold the Patriots to ransom like this.

Maybe Branch sees himself in the same category as Brady and Seymour in terms of importance to the franchise - who knows what sort of delusions his agent has been filling his head with.

I think this was a pretty clever move by the Patriots F.O. - they have given the impression of being negotiable but have not relinquished any of the trump cards - if they dont want Branch to go there isn't anything Branch or his agent can do about it.

It will be an interesting week.

NM