PDA

View Full Version : NFL close to shifting draft to May

Vis
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Sources: NFL close to shifting draft to May

The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. This according to league and union sources, .

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

The NFL originally proposed a league year that would have started later in the calendar year and the NFLPA rejected that idea, believing it to be unfair to its players.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/35098/Sources--NFL-close-to-shifting-draft-to-May/Default.aspx

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Latest move by Goodell to compromise the quality of the game for entertainment's sake?

"You'd be hard-pressed to find any football-side person in the league in favor of it,'' said one AFC general manager, who requested anonymity. "Unless you consider having more time for draft preparation a benefit, more time for paralysis by analysis, there's nothing to like. I've tried to think of one (positive), but I haven't yet.''...

This is about moving the draft into May for (TV network) sweeps month. I'd rather somebody be honest and come out and just admit that it's about ratings and TV issues. But I get it. I suppose we all should be thankful in that everybody in the league benefits financially when the league has success from a TV perspective.''...

Coaches and front office executives aren't going to like not having their hands on their new players for another two or three weeks.

"They'll say, 'Hey, we need to get our hands on them and we need to coach them.' So this could wind up having an effect on some integrity of the game issues, and we need to listen to that. There's a lot of ground to cover on this and there's a long way to go. This isn't over at all.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/homepage/news/20130521/teams-not-buying-easter-bunny-excuse-for-moving-nfl-draft-to-may/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp