PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma tornado: Dozens killed in Moore

Vis
05-21-2013, 04:07 AM
At least 91 people, including 20 children, are feared killed by a huge tornado which tore through Oklahoma City suburbs, officials in the US state say.

Worst hit was Moore, south of the city, where neighbourhoods were flattened and schools destroyed by winds of up to 200mph (320km/h).

About 120 people are being treated in hospitals.

President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster in Oklahoma.

He also ordered federal authorities to join in the search efforts which are continuing throughout the night.

Monday's twister hit Moore, a suburb of about 55,000 people, at 14:56 (19:56 GMT) and remained on the ground for about 45 minutes.

The official death toll is 51, but local authorities say the figure is expected to rise as another 40 bodies have been found.
The Oklahoma chief medical examiner's office said at least 20 children were among the dead.

Plaza Towers Elementary school took a direct hit: the storm tore off the building's roof and knocked down walls.

"The school was flattened. The walls were pancaked in," Oklahoma's Lt Gov Todd Lamb told the BBC.

"There's still roughly two dozen children that are missing. There have been some bodies recovered from that school and it's absolutely horrific and devastating."

Another school - Briarwood Elementary - was also damaged, and teachers were later seen leading pupils out to safety.
Oklahoma Gov Mary Fallin said it was a "tragic" day.

More than 200 Oklahoma National Guardsmen as well as out-of-state personnel have been called in to assist the search-and-rescue effort.

The BBC's Alastair Leithead in Oklahoma says many of tornadoes in the region hit the open plain, but this one struck a residential area.

Many houses are built on hard ground without basements, so many people did not have recourse to shelter, our correspondent adds.

'Most powerful tornado'
Shocked survivors spoke of the tornado's power.

"We locked the cellar door once we saw it coming, it got louder and next thing you know is you see the latch coming undone," survivor Ricky Stover said.

"We couldn't reach for it and it ripped open the door and just glass and debris started slamming on us and we thought we were dead, to be honest."

Melissa Newton said: "There's shingles and pieces of sheet rock and wood in our yard and all across our neighbourhood. Some homes are completely gone. It's devastating."

James Rushing said he had hurried to Plaza Towers Elementary School, where his foster son Aiden was a pupil, to see it destroyed by the storm.

"About two minutes after I got there, the school started coming apart," he told the Associated Press news agency.
The National Weather Service (NWS) said Monday's tornado had generated winds of up to 200mph.

"It's certainly the most powerful tornado that I've ever dealt with in my 20 years with the weather service," NWS meteorologist Rick Smith in Norman, Oklahoma, told the BBC.

The town of Moore was hit by a severe tornado in May 1999, which had the highest winds ever recorded on Earth.
But Betsy Randolph of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol told local news station Skynews 9 that the damage on Monday appeared to exceed that of the 1999 tornado.

Tornadoes, hail and high winds also hit Iowa and Kansas, part of a storm system stretching from Texas to Minnesota.
On Sunday, a tornado smashed a trailer park on Highway 102 near Shawnee, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma's state medical examiner confirmed earlier on Monday that two people had been killed in the area.

Galax Steeler
05-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Damn we jut don't know how lucky we are to live in a place that doesn't see stuff like that.

Vis
05-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Do we have any members out there?

Galax Steeler
05-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Not that I am aware of.

Vis
05-21-2013, 04:22 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/gss-130520-moore-6col/gss-130520-cvr-briarwood.grid-8x2.jpg

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBKvq9zzC IAAKlc0.jpg

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdistilleryimage10.ak.instagram.c om%2Fc458e400c19411e2b6e522000a1fd512_7.jpg&resize=1&w=490

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBKv-FtLCEAA8Frt.jpg

Galax Steeler
05-21-2013, 04:27 AM
Unbelievable

teegre
05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
A school. Fuck.... it hit a school. Worst thing I've seen in a while.

On a lighter note...

I remember, at age five, having a layover (flight) in Texas, and they had a tornado warning... and I was scared to death. My aunt "cheered" me up by reminding me that I live in California, where there are no "warnings" for earthquakes; earthquakes just heroine, and they are ten times more destructive that tornados.

I didn't sleep for months.

Whenever I hear about tornados, I think of earthquakes, and thus I also think, " Fuck you, aunt!!!"

Atlanta Dan
05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Came across this small bit of good news

Let's hope there are more stories like this coming out of Moore, Okla., where people continue to pick through the rubble of their town for family, friends and pets who managed to survive the storm. In the video below you'll meet Barbara Garcia, an elderly woman who rode out the storm by taking refuge in the bathroom of her since-destroyed home. Things get good—and may just get a little dusty in your office—at about the 1:35-mark when she discovers her missing dog Toto, shaken but seemingly largely uninjured, in the rubble. "Well I got God to answer one prayer to let me be OK, but he answered both of them because this was my second prayer," Garcia says, partly to the camera and partly to herself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/05/21/moore_tornado_found_dog_barbara_garcia_tornado_sur vior_finds_dog_toto_in.html

Clicking on the link takes you to the video

Vis
05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
WASHINGTON -- As frantic rescue missions continued Monday in Oklahoma following the catastrophic tornadoes that ripped through the state, it appeared increasingly likely that residents who lost homes and businesses would turn to the federal government for emergency disaster aid. That could put the state's two Republican senators in an awkward position.

Sens. Jim Inhofe and Tom Coburn, both Republicans, are fiscal hawks who have repeatedly voted against funding disaster aid for other parts of the country. They also have opposed increased funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which administers federal disaster relief.

Late last year, Inhofe and Coburn both backed a plan to slash disaster relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy. In a December press release, Coburn complained that the Sandy Relief bill contained "wasteful spending," and identified a series of items he objected to, including "$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies."

Coburn spokesman John Hart on Monday evening confirmed that the senator will seek to ensure that any additional funding for tornado disaster relief in Oklahoma be offset by cuts to federal spending elsewhere in the budget. "That's always been his position [to offset disaster aid]," Hart said. "He supported offsets to the bill funding the OKC bombing recovery effort." Those offsets were achieved in 1995 by tapping federal funds that had not yet been appropriated.

In 2011, both senators opposed legislation that would have granted necessary funding for FEMA when the agency was set to run out of money. Sending the funds to FEMA would have been "unconscionable," Coburn said at the time.

Hart said Coburn had "never made parochial calculations" about Oklahoma's disproportionate share of disaster funds, "as his voting record and campaign against earmarks demonstrates." Hart added that Coburn, "makes no apologies for voting against disaster aid bills that are often poorly conceived and used to finance priorities that have little to do with disasters."

A representative for Inhofe could not immediately be reached for comment. Inhofe earlier tweeted: "The devastation in Oklahoma is heartbreaking. Please join me and #PrayforOklahoma. Spread the word."

Coburn also put out a message on Twitter, writing, "My thoughts and prayers are with those in Oklahoma affected by the tragic tornado outbreak."

Oklahoma currently ranks third in the nation after Texas and California in terms of total federal disaster and fire declarations, which kickstart the federal emergency relief funding process. Just last month, President Barack Obama signed a disaster declaration for the state following severe snowstorms.

And despite their voting record on disaster aid for other states, both Coburn and Inhofe appear to sing a different tune when it comes to such funding for Oklahoma.

In January of 2007, Coburn urged federal officials to speed disaster relief aid after the state faced a major ice storm.

A year later, in 2008, Inhofe lauded the fact that emergency relief from the Department of Housing and Urban Development would be given to 24 Oklahoma counties. "The impact of severe weather has been truly devastating to many Oklahoma communities across the state. I am pleased that the people whose lives have been affected by disastrous weather are getting much-needed federal assistance," he said at the time.

The cost of the recovery effort for this week's tornadoes is likely to be high. After a spate of tornadoes in the state in 1999, Oklahomans requested and received $67.8 million in federal relief funds.

The people in Moore need help quickly. Let's hope the relief isn't delayed this time.

Fire Haley
05-21-2013, 10:51 AM
3rd time this same place was hit in last 14 years, + 2 big ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHxYuUAGbKk

scary stuff

I'll take hurricanes anyday, at least we get a few days warning and can get our asses of the way of the big ones - not like this

Vis
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
No basements there. I'd blast one before I rebuilt.

SteelerEmpire
05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Do we have any members out there?

I'm in Oklahoma City. Moore is on the southern boarder of Oklahoma City.
My particular area only got a lot of rain. However, my friend Mario who lives in Moore lost his entire home. He and his family are all ok though because at the time his kids were all at Moore High School and he and his wife were at work in Oklahoma City.

The tornado was 2 1/4 miles wide. The damage is over 20 miles in length.

I went down there this morning. It's like neighborhood after neighborhood just totally leveled. Looks like an A-bomb was dropped. The tornado even uprooted the grass.

One guy told me he was in a local "group" shelter. When the tornado got close, some people showed up and were pounding on the door. But they could not open the door to let them in because the force of the wind on the door was already too powerful. They think some of those particular people may be among the casualties.

But just total destruction of buildings. Animal (horse, dogs, cats, etc...) corpses are everywhere.

Lady Steel
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Thoughts and prayers to your friend and his family, SteelerEmpire, as well as to all those affected by this devastating tornado in Moore. :hug:

Atlanta Dan
05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Pro athletes deservedly catch a lot of crap - then you read about an act of caring like this:thumbsup:

Thunder All-Star forward Kevin Durant donated $1 million Tuesday to the American Red Cross through his family foundation to assist with disaster relief efforts in the wake of a tornado that swept through Oklahoma on Monday, killing at least 24 people and injuring hundreds of others.

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/21/kevin-durant-one-million-dollars-oklahoma-tornado-thunder/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Buddha Bus
05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm in Oklahoma City. Moore is on the southern boarder of Oklahoma City.
My particular area only got a lot of rain. However, my friend Mario who lives in Moore lost his entire home. He and his family are all ok though because at the time his kids were all at Moore High School and he and his wife were at work in Oklahoma City.

The tornado was 2 1/4 miles wide. The damage is over 20 miles in length.

I went down there this morning. It's like neighborhood after neighborhood just totally leveled. Looks like an A-bomb was dropped. The tornado even uprooted the grass.

One guy told me he was in a local "group" shelter. When the tornado got close, some people showed up and were pounding on the door. But they could not open the door to let them in because the force of the wind on the door was already too powerful. They think some of those particular people may be among the casualties.

But just total destruction of buildings. Animal (horse, dogs, cats, etc...) corpses are everywhere.

Sad, sad news out of Oklahoma. I can't imagine having to pick up the pieces of my life after losing everything like that, or worse, a loved one.

Thankfully, your friend and his family made it through OK, SteelerEmpire. My thoughts go out to them and everyone else affected by this tragedy.

Fire Haley
05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
I made the mistake of turning on MSNBC for a minute to see if they had any new news - - just in time for some whiny chick screeching about how we have to do SOMETHING about GLOBAL WARMING........NOW.............like OMG we have to stop this terrible WEATHER....why aren't we MAKING IT STOP~

Dan Blather was eating it up

Atlanta Dan
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LP3Zs_V_BQ&feature=player_embedded

Wolf Blitzer - "you've got to thank the Lord, right?"

Victim - "I'm actually an atheist":sofunny:

Galax Steeler
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LP3Zs_V_BQ&feature=player_embedded

Wolf Blitzer - "you've got to thank the Lord, right?"

Victim - "I'm actually an atheist":sofunny:

That is funny :chuckle:

Lady Steel
05-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Storm brings tornadoes, dumps heavy rain on Oklahoma, Missouri
By Chelsea J. Carter, Greg Botelho and Sean Morris, CNN
updated 12:14 AM EDT, Sat June 1, 2013

(CNN) -- A storm system that wrought havoc on the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, generating a handful of tornadoes that killed five people and sent tens of thousands scrambling for shelter, moved late Friday over Missouri.

The National Weather Service warned a "confirmed and extremely dangerous tornado" was near the city of Harvester, about 25 miles northwest of St. Louis.

There were no immediate reports of catastrophic damage or major injuries in the St. Louis area, said Jeff Rainford, the chief of staff for Mayor Francis Slay. Lambert-St. Louis International Airport was closed because of the severe weather, and minor damage was reported to a terminal, he said.

As authorities in Missouri urged people to take shelter, officials in Oklahoma were working to determine how many people had been killed and injured in the storm that battered the state's largest city.

A mother and a child were among five people killed as a result of severe weather, and another 14 were injured, authorities said.

At the height of the storm, the National Weather Service issued a tornado emergency for a number of areas in and around Oklahoma's capital city, with tornadoes reported outside Moore, near the suburb of Bethany, north of Union City and outside Tinker Air Force Base.

Parts of Interstates 35 and 40, which cut through Oklahoma City and Moore, were "a parking lot," the weather service said, warning that those caught in the heavy rush hour traffic "are in danger."

"We've got a nightmare situation going on right now," Betsy Randolph, a state Highway Patrol spokeswoman, told CNN.

"They are essentially sitting ducks on the interstate."

Overturned big rigs and cars littered portions of the roadway, and thousands more were believed to be stuck in the traffic.

"My biggest concern right now is the traffic that is out on the highway right now," Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said.

She said she has called out the National Guard, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the state Office of Emergency Management to "try to get the traffic moving" and get people to shelter.

The weather service issued the tornado emergency for Oklahoma City as well as its suburbs of Moore, Yukon and Bethany.

Oklahoma City's Will Rogers World Airport was evacuated over the threat from the approaching tornado, and travelers were sheltered in the airport's basement at the height of the storm, authorities said.

"They are now in the process of slowly allowing people out of their shelter. They are bringing employees up now, and then the passengers will be able to come up once the terminal is properly staffed," said Karen Carney, a spokeswoman for the airport.

"Right now, the airport has no power. Without power, they probably will not be able to allow passengers into the secure areas of the airport. But they obviously can't allow any takeoffs and landings without power, either."

Even those in the National Weather Center -- a building on the University of Oklahoma campus with tenants that include the National Severe Storms Laboratory and NOAA's Storm Prediction Center -- "have been urged to stay away from windows due to potential for 80-90 mph winds," according to a tweet from weather service's Norman office, which also is based in the building.

Police and firefighters were responding to reports of damage in El Reno, just outside Union City, but it was not immediately known how bad the damage was, Mayor Matt White said.

Authorities were urging people in the path of the tornado to take immediate cover, and Fallin was urging residents not to take any risks.

In Moore, where a massive tornado leveled much of the city this month, Mayor Glenn Lewis said it was unimaginable that the city was in the path of another tornado.

A reported tornado moved four miles northwest of Moore, according to the National Weather Service forecasters and storm spotters.

The storm was so fierce that the Weather Channel's Mike Bettes, known for his on-the-ground severe weather reports, said his Tornado Hunt vehicle was thrown about 200 yards.

"Airbags deployed. All are safe," Bettes said in a post on Twitter.

More than 50,000 customers were without power by early Friday evening in the Oklahoma City area because of severe weather, the Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. said.

More than half the city of Mustang, 17 miles south of Oklahoma City, was without power, Mustang Fire Chief Roy Widmann said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/31/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this latest barrage of devastating tornadoes.

Lady Steel
05-31-2013, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veNJBosc6EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOh9Ptz4w28

pczach
06-01-2013, 07:50 AM
So sad. I called a friend in southern Illinois last night that was in the basement with his two kids, one is my godson. It's scary stuff.

I was in a Tornado a few years ago. I left my house with my young son to go to a hockey game. We were going to meet my wife. It was already raining hard and the sky was black. As I went further down the road, it was like nighttime. The sky was now black, but with different colors in it. Green, hints of red, it was freaky. The rain came down so hard and with so much wind that it was hard to see anything. I was on a 2 lane road, so when we started to get horizontal rain, I turned down a road that would take me to a major roadway. Suddenly, things got much worse. A tornado came right over us. We couldn't see it because it was a tree lined road and the funnel was rain wrapped . There were about 6 or 7 cars behind me and coming toward me. As it hit, the wind was unbelievable. You could barely see as the trees bent over us and the air was filled with dirt and debris. As we all came to a stop at the same time, our vehicles all started to move a little. You could see the headlights of the cars in front of me moving. Things were bouncing off of the truck and I thought the trees were going to come down on top of us. It only lasted maybe 20 -30 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. We were able to make to the main road, but there was no power. Power lines were down, there was stuff laying all over the roads, and it just had the most eerie feeling and an awful smell of earth or some strange smell that's hard to describe.

I found out later that that tornado was classified as an F2. It tore up a large area in the Mountaintop Pa area where I work. There were trees down everywhere. Some homes got damaged. It blew out the windows at a supermarket and injured people with the broken glass. When it went over me, it wasn't as strong because there wasn't as much damage right where I was when it hit me. I was lucky.

That was only an F2! I couldn't even imagine being in an F4 or F5 tornado with winds 2-3 times more powerful. If you've never seen what these things can do in person, it's hard to explain it without having seen it. Even watching the weather channel videos and all the news coverage that we get, it doesn't do the destruction justice. Every time one of these monsters hits, my heart goes out to anyone that was subjected to it. Like I said. Scary, scary stuff.

Fire Haley
06-02-2013, 07:25 AM
sometimes you find what you're looking for

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBJwk08JC YAAcPOf.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLok1GACQAE-KaE.jpg

Galax Steeler
06-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Damn that is funny killer before and after.

43Hitman
06-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Damn that is funny killer before and after.

yeah the vehicle was thrown 200 yards. :jawdrop:

Vis
06-02-2013, 12:06 PM
sometimes you find what you're looking for

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBJwk08JC YAAcPOf.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLok1GACQAE-KaE.jpg

Is this the one where the 3 occupants were killed. If so, not so funny.

Bayz101
06-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Is this the one where the 3 occupants were killed. If so, not so funny.

Sure, death is never funny, but these people know what they're getting themselves into. It's not a safe job. In fact, it's a stupid job. Risking your neck playing football is one thing. Chasing after a damn tornado is another.

By the way, airbags deployed, all passengers alive and well.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/05/weather-channels-tornado-hunt-2013-vehicle-hit-tornado/65786/

Vis
06-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Sure, death is never funny, but these people know what they're getting themselves into. It's not a safe job. In fact, it's a stupid job. Risking your neck playing football is one thing. Chasing after a damn tornado is another.

By the way, airbags deployed, all passengers alive and well.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/05/weather-channels-tornado-hunt-2013-vehicle-hit-tornado/65786/

That wasn't the vehicle of the three who were killed.

I disagree that playing sports for millions is a more honorable way to risk one's neck than doing storm research for little if any pay in order to save lives.

Here's the story on the three who gave their lives.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/02/us/midwest-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Here's the info on their project

http://twistex.org/site/?page_id=2

About the Project
TWISTEX 2010: An Overview

For 2010, we will be engaging in field research to collect data of the following:

~ Tornadoes and tornado proximity environments
~ Boundaries associated with supercells
~ Study hail 2″ and larger (Measure impact velocity, magnitude, and provide ’soft-catch’ for later analysis)

The objectives of this research are to better understand tornadogenesis, maintenance and decay processes and to gain insight and knowledge of the seldom sampled near-surface internal tornado environment. Progress on these research fronts is aimed toward increasing tornado warning lead time while the internal tornado near-surface sampling provides essential ground truth data for structural engineering analysis of the interaction of tornadic winds with homes and buildings.

Tornadoes and Tornado Proximity Environments:

Tornado Core Sampling

Several hardened instruments will be deployed in paths of tornadoes to collect the following datasets:

* Pressure
* Temperature
* Humidity
* Wind speed/direction
* Visualization for accurate debris/hydrometeor velocities and for verification of the tornado-relative location of the in situ sampling

The thermodynamic probes are called Hardened In-situ Tornado Pressure Recorders (HITPR). All of the hardened instrumentation can collect/store the datasets. Measurements are recorded at 10 samples/second, and stored on non-volatile flash cards.

Galax Steeler
06-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Ok Vis I like you as a poster but I am not laughing if someone was killed I was relating to a before and after picture if you post this shit to make some one look bad then so be it. you just seem like you do this shit to troll bait. Oh well:doh:

Vis
06-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Ok Vis I like you as a poster but I am not laughing if someone was killed I was relating to a before and after picture if you post this shit to make some one look bad then so be it. you just seem like you do this shit to troll bait. Oh well:doh:

i admitted it wasn't the vehicle. I had just read the CNN story and came on here and there's jokes about these tornados. I make jokes about almost anything much of it tasteless but I don't see humor here. I know why there are storm chasers and know how what they do has helped warning times. Is it trolling to express that? So be it.

Galax Steeler
06-02-2013, 06:10 PM
i admitted it wasn't the vehicle. I had just read the CNN story and came on here and there's jokes about these tornados. I make jokes about almost anything much of it tasteless but I don't see humor here. I know why there are storm chasers and know how what they do has helped warning times. Is it trolling to express that? So be it.

Yea well there was no writing to go with your post I was just saying the before and after picture was funny not that someone was killed. If they was then I was in the wrong but don't be putting shit like this on here if you just want to do it to drag posters into bullshit.:noidea:

Vis
06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Yea well there was no writing to go with your post I was just saying the before and after picture was funny not that someone was killed. If they was then I was in the wrong but don't be putting shit like this on here if you just want to do it to drag posters into bullshit.:noidea:

I wasn't taking a shot at you. I posted when I thought that was the car of those 3. It just struck me due to the timing of when I heard about the deaths. I'm sure you hadn't just read that story or you would have reacted more like I did to the picture. This place is stream of consciousness.

Galax Steeler
06-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I wasn't taking a shot at you. I posted when I thought that was the car of those 3. It just struck me due to the timing of when I heard about the deaths. I'm sure you hadn't just read that story or you would have reacted more like I did to the picture.

Good enough :drink:

Bayz101
06-02-2013, 06:29 PM
That wasn't the vehicle of the three who were killed.

I disagree that playing sports for millions is a more honorable way to risk one's neck than doing storm research for little if any pay in order to save lives.

Here's the story on the three who gave their lives.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/02/us/midwest-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Here's the info on their project

http://twistex.org/site/?page_id=2

About the Project
TWISTEX 2010: An Overview

For 2010, we will be engaging in field research to collect data of the following:

~ Tornadoes and tornado proximity environments
~ Boundaries associated with supercells
~ Study hail 2″ and larger (Measure impact velocity, magnitude, and provide ’soft-catch’ for later analysis)

The objectives of this research are to better understand tornadogenesis, maintenance and decay processes and to gain insight and knowledge of the seldom sampled near-surface internal tornado environment. Progress on these research fronts is aimed toward increasing tornado warning lead time while the internal tornado near-surface sampling provides essential ground truth data for structural engineering analysis of the interaction of tornadic winds with homes and buildings.

Tornadoes and Tornado Proximity Environments:

Tornado Core Sampling

Several hardened instruments will be deployed in paths of tornadoes to collect the following datasets:

* Pressure
* Temperature
* Humidity
* Wind speed/direction
* Visualization for accurate debris/hydrometeor velocities and for verification of the tornado-relative location of the in situ sampling

The thermodynamic probes are called Hardened In-situ Tornado Pressure Recorders (HITPR). All of the hardened instrumentation can collect/store the datasets. Measurements are recorded at 10 samples/second, and stored on non-volatile flash cards.

I never said it was more honorable...

I still thinks it's a bit of a crazy job. One should at least install roll-cages in vehicles if they're going to chase after a tornado, I mean, this storm-chasing has been going on for as long as I can remember, and people have died chasing these things. With the technology we have, there HAS to be a better way to research storms than putting people in cars to chase after them like lunatics. I don't like it.

SteelCityMom
06-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I never said it was more honorable...

I still thinks it's a bit of a crazy job. One should at least install roll-cages in vehicles if they're going to chase after a tornado, I mean, this storm-chasing has been going on for as long as I can remember, and people have died chasing these things. With the technology we have, there HAS to be a better way to research storms than putting people in cars to chase after them like lunatics. I don't like it.

Oh, there is... I agree that the people that go out in nothing more than SUV's are insane. I respect the urge to go out there and collect data, but most of them are just thrill seekers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXCXviKvh0

From May 27th. It recorded winds from inside the tornado of 150 to 175 MPH (F3, F4) You may remember it from Mythbusters, when it withstood winds of 200mph behind a jet engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v075d9Vfqcg

Bayz101
06-02-2013, 08:31 PM
That's smart right there. THAT I can respect. Chasing after a tornado in an SUV with nothing but a airbag for "thrills" isn't respectable. It's dumb. I can't imagine the people that do shit like that are married. I know damn well my girlfriend would break up with my ass if I was ever that stupid.

If you're going to do something to possibly help save lives in the future, you need to take advantage of the technology that's available and protect YOURSELF when you do something that dangerous. If you take off after a storm in a Pinto, you won't get any sympathy for me. It should be illegal nationwide to chase a storm without a vehicle like the one you mentioned, mom.

Vis
06-03-2013, 04:56 AM
That's smart right there. THAT I can respect. Chasing after a tornado in an SUV with nothing but a airbag for "thrills" isn't respectable. It's dumb. I can't imagine the people that do shit like that are married. I know damn well my girlfriend would break up with my ass if I was ever that stupid.

If you're going to do something to possibly help save lives in the future, you need to take advantage of the technology that's available and protect YOURSELF when you do something that dangerous. If you take off after a storm in a Pinto, you won't get any sympathy for me. It should be illegal nationwide to chase a storm without a vehicle like the one you mentioned, mom.

I hope no one does that. Although we've all seen the cell phone videos making them heroes for the day. Stories like that of the professional being killed will hopefully at least serve to keep amateurs away.

SteelerEmpire
06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Man. It's rough here in Oklahoma City.

What kind of gun do they make that will shoot tornados ?

But seriously, RIP to those who lost their lives.

Lady Steel
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Man. It's rough here in Oklahoma City.

What kind of gun do they make that will shoot tornados ?

But seriously, RIP to those who lost their lives.

Stay strong and stay safe, SteelerEmpire. :hug: