PDA

View Full Version : What are the Bengals getting in Harrison?

UltimateBengal
06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Mods, please move this if it is better suited in another section.

Every since we signed James Harrison, the Bengals and their media members have really been selling Harrison hard to the fanbase. Telling us that the transition to the 4-3 shouldn't be a problem, that his age and injuries over the past couple of years shouldn't be an issue and that he is just the tonic we need to put us over the top. I really want to believe this and I am excited about the prospects of what could be.

Having said that, I'm also tempering my expectations because I think there are a lot of questions as well. So, i figured who better to ask about Harrison that you guys. You saw he game in, game out for years. Can he make the transition to the 4-3 or will he struggle. Am I right to worry about his injuries over the last couple of years? Is he the type of player that can really infuse an already damn good defense?

I'm very interested to hear your opinions on this!

Fire Arians
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
when healthy he's still one of the most dominant 3-4 outside backers in the game. however, like you and many others, i wonder how he's going to fit in a 4-3. He still will be very dangerous as a situational rusher which they may just use him like that. Regardless of a switch to a 4-3, he is still a very good football player and that's what it really boils down to, some people can just play ball.

and this thread is already where it belongs. no worries :)

steelerchad
06-01-2013, 05:32 PM
35 is pretty old for a LBer. At that age, the decline can be rapid. With the injury trouble the last 2 years the Steelers couldn't afford to let him play out his contract. I'm a little surprised they didn't reach out to him when he had no takers at a cheap deal. With what you paid, I would take the small risk that he can be solid. His dominant days are behind him for sure though.
I'd say the Steelers are 3 to 1 at making the right decision on when to let an older player walk, so take that for what it's worth too.

harrison'samonster
06-01-2013, 05:36 PM
a few years ago, Harrison would have had no problem switching to a 4-3, and he would have been a piece to put you over the top. At this point though I expect him to be more of a complimentary player.

If he stays healthy he'll be everything you want, but like it's been mentioned 35 is old in the football world. He'll never ever quit on you though.

UltimateBengal
06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
35 is pretty old for a LBer. At that age, the decline can be rapid. With the injury trouble the last 2 years the Steelers couldn't afford to let him play out his contract. I'm a little surprised they didn't reach out to him when he had no takers at a cheap deal. With what you paid, I would take the small risk that he can be solid. His dominant days are behind him for sure though.
I'd say the Steelers are 3 to 1 at making the right decision on when to let an older player walk, so take that for what it's worth too.

Yeah, I guess this is part of what worries me and why I have some doubts about how this will end up. My Bengals brethren, for the most part, doesn't want to admit that 35 is pretty damn old in football terms. Hell, I don't even think Harrison really wants to be a Bengal. Nothing I've heard him say to this point indicates to me that he really wants to be here. It seems more likely to me that he's a Bengal because no one else, besides you guys, wanted him. I think he signed with us because he wants to show you guys you were wrong.

IDK, I've never liked getting older players on the backend of their careers. I mean, we did get lucky with a 34 year old Newman who played very well last year, so who knows?:noidea:

UltimateBengal
06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
when healthy he's still one of the most dominant 3-4 outside backers in the game. however, like you and many others, i wonder how he's going to fit in a 4-3. He still will be very dangerous as a situational rusher which they may just use him like that. Regardless of a switch to a 4-3, he is still a very good football player and that's what it really boils down to, some people can just play ball.

and this thread is already where it belongs. no worries :)
I'll tell you one thing I haven't gotten use to and I know it might sound silly, but rooting for a guy that I have loathed for so long! I've never been a fan of James Harrison, the player or person. I respect his accomplishments, but not him, if that makes any sense.

Now he's a Bengal and all of a sudden I have to root for him? :doh:

lloydwoodson
06-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Leaving the Steelers for the Bengals gives Harrison extra motivation for Harrison to play well against the Steelers.

Harrison leaving the Steelers for the Bengals gives every Steeler extra motivation to play well against the Bengals.

Advantage Steelers.

NSMaster56
06-02-2013, 09:04 AM
What are the Bengals getting in Harrison?

Fined.

Frequently.

43Hitman
06-02-2013, 09:50 AM

I'm not really knowledgeable about contract stuff but I'm pretty sure that once we cut him, we still had some of his money on the books. So even if we resigned him at vet minimum, it would have cost us more money than if he had just signed the original deal we offered him, and there is no way Colbert/Kahn were going to do that.

Buddha Bus
06-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Harrison was the man in Pittsburgh for awhile. I really would have liked to see him come back for another year with us.

That said, I think he could struggle in Cincinnati. Besides the aforementioned age and injury issues, Harrison took a really long time to catch on in the NFL due to his inability to grasp the "smarts" part of the game and defense. He always had the physical tools, which are now diminishing. I feel he could have a hard time transitioning to a 4-3 due to him being slow at learning a defense. Teaching that old (and reportedly not so sharp) dog new tricks could be difficult and trying. As HAM said, he may just be a more complimentary or bit-part player for you. The Bengals will likely end up just using him in pure pass rush situations.

GMU Steeler
06-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't honestly know. He does seem to be motivated by what he sees as a snub against him by the Steelers but on the other hand you do have a 35 year old who is switching to the 4-3 where his skillset isn't going to be utilized to the best. And Zimmer while he is a good DC is no Dick LeBeau. And then there's injuries. I feel you about having to root for him all of sudden though. Only it's how I feel about now having to root against him but that's sports I guess.

Blacksburg Zach
06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Fined.

Frequently.

Nah, that will stop now that he's no longer a Steeler.

NSMaster56
06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm not really knowledgeable about contract stuff but I'm pretty sure that once we cut him, we still had some of his money on the books. So even if we resigned him at vet minimum, it would have cost us more money than if he had just signed the original deal we offered him, and there is no way Colbert/Kahn were going to do that.

$4.93 M in 'Dead Money'

Source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

sluggermatt15
06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
$4.93 M in 'Dead Money'

Source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

Yep. Unfortunately some of his $ is still on the books for this season. :hmmph: I believe had we signed him, Harrison's cap hit would have been around $10M...

jacobo
06-02-2013, 11:11 PM
A player who can't contain the edge or play in coverage. A player who brings unwanted attention to the organization for his outspoken attitude and perceived "dirty" play. A guy who's certainly getting up there in age. I don't want to sound like sour grapes or a hater, but I just can't believe he's going to help the bengals as much as he's going to hurt them.