PDA

View Full Version : The last shot for several Steelers

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2006, 05:40 AM
By The Tribune-Review
Saturday, August 26, 2006

Friday night's game against the Eagles marked the last opportunity for aspiring Steelers to prove themselves to the coaching staff in advance of the first mandatory cut-down date. Rosters must be reduced to 75 as of 4 p.m. Tuesday. Traditionally, the first cut has been to 65. This year, the NFL opted to make it 75 and not to extend NFL Europe roster exemptions through to the final cut, as per previous policy. The final cut to 53 is on Sept. 2. The Steelers had 85 players on the roster prior to the Eagles game.
? Wide receiver Isaac West (knee), cornerback Deshea Townsend (thumb), cornerback Anthony Madison (hamstring), center Chukky Okobi (neck), offensive tackle Ulish Booker (knee), tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) and wide receiver Hines Ward (hamstring) didn't dress for the Steelers. Ricardo Colclough started at cornerback in place of Townsend. Nate Washington started at wide receiver in place of Ward.

? The Steelers continued alternating starters at free safety, returning Tyrone Carter to the first-team defense in Philadelphia. Carter had also started the preseason opener on Aug. 12 in Arizona. Ryan Clark started last Saturday against Minnesota.

? With Tuman out for a second straight game, rookie-free agent Jon Dekker was the first tight end off the bench for the second straight game. Dekker appeared on the Steelers' third offensive snap in a two-tight end, two-wide receiver, one-back set. Dekker took over for Heath Miller at tight end with 8:31 left in the second quarter on the Steelers' third offensive series. Dekker dropped a pass from quarterback Charlie Batch on third-and-10 from the Steelers' 20-yard line.

? The Steelers used Quincy Morgan initially as the No. 3 receiver in support of Cedrick Wilson and Washington. When four receivers were required, the Steelers went with Wilson, Washington and rookies Santonio Holmes and Willie Reid.

? Linebackers Clark Haggans and Larry Foote and defensive end Brett Keisel registered first-half sacks of Eagles starting quarterback Donovan McNabb. The Steelers came in with three sacks in two preseason games, none from a starter.

? Incumbent Chris Gardocki punted twice in the first half (averaging 46 yards, including a 50-yarder into the end zone) and challenger Mike Barr once (for 53 yards). Gardocki held for Jeff Reed's only place kick in the first two quarters, an extra point.

? Wilson's touchdown reception, off a 23-yard strike by Batch, was Wilson's second of the preseason and second in as many games. It was also the second by a Steelers wide receiver and the third for the Steelers in the preseason (Smolko caught a TD pass in Arizona).

HometownGal
08-26-2006, 06:40 AM
It will be interesting to see who gets the ax first. Cowher is going to have a tough decision at the WR position, but I don't see the Q getting cut, as he has a lot of speed and can be very useful in the O scheme. As far as keeping a third QB goes, Cowher may be leaning towards booting both Boyd and Jacobs, but would be smart to keep one of them. I'd still take Jacobs over Boyd, but I'm not the coach obviously - LOL! :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2006, 08:04 AM
It will be interesting to see who gets the ax first. Cowher is going to have a tough decision at the WR position, but I don't see the Q getting cut, as he has a lot of speed and can be very useful in the O scheme. As far as keeping a third QB goes, Cowher may be leaning towards booting both Boyd and Jacobs, but would be smart to keep one of them. I'd still take Jacobs over Boyd, but I'm not the coach obviously - LOL! :cool:

I dont know HG..Jacobs had some serious "happy feet" in the pocket last night. He seems to get confused and starts dancing in place looking for the open man. Boyd at least seemed to know when to pull it down and run..(sometimes prematurely)..but at least didnt look like wylie coyote with the whole running in place routine. That being said...I STILL think that in the end Jacobs will be the better QB, if we feel like we have the time to let him grow

I agree with you about Q..I would love to keep him.

nicesteel4life
08-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I didn't notice, was Q on special teams last night? I just think he is a much better reciever than Morey, Mays and the rest at the bottom. Mays had 1 nice catch then dropped a easy one. We shall see very very soon how it all pans out.

Midnightwriter07
08-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I hope we keep Morgan as well, and i also hope we keep Kuhn too.. Jacobs should be gone, Boyd looked more poised in the pocket and even though his ROCKETSSSSS could take my hand off... his throws were for the most part accurate. To me i like the fact that he will take off and run because if we did him to play in a game, he seems more poised at this point.

I also like Charlie Davis TE.. He caught what came his way and those were the rockets by Boyd and is a pretty big boy.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-26-2006, 02:28 PM
One of the faithful I watched the game with told me before the Philly game that he heard rumors that we are going with two QB's. Apparently Cowher & Co. believe they have a guy on defense who used to be a QB and could be used in an emergency.

He couldn't recall the name but he's an old-timer so there has to be some truth to it.

Anybody else hear about this?

Midnightwriter07
08-26-2006, 02:37 PM
It has been speculated after watching the poor ass performance of Boyd and Jacobs in the second pre-season that we may only go with two. Cowher was quoted as saying in the Post Gazette after the second game something such as "Neither has really impressed me or shown me much" .. ****that is my quote and not his exact one but i remember reading it and so has been speculation we may just go with two. Ward, Wison, are the two obvious that stand out since both were recruited as QB 's into college. I have heard Wilson would be used as emergency QB.. but not from coaches mouth.. After the game last night... i feel Boyd should be the practice squad QB.. he can run like the wind and as we look now.. i wouldnt mind seeing him at RB seeing as what he did compared to the back ups at this point. He is lightning fast !! Jacobs just doesnt do anything for me at all and it wouldnt suprise me to see him cut and the Steelers going in with only two and using that extra roster spot for someone who can contribute something.