PDA

View Full Version : Duce Poll

LambertIsGod58
08-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't know if y'all saw this on the home site...but here is a poll I would like to add since it corroborates my take....

Latest Poll

Who is the better power back to compliment Willie Parker?
Duce Staley 29.9%
Verron Haynes 70.1%

Total Votes: 97

Mosca
08-26-2006, 11:00 AM
After watching Duce last night, I think he's done. He was a half step slow on every carry, and there was one play in the third quarter where he was going right, behind the blockers, and a HUGE hole opened up on his left; you could see that he saw it, decided he didn't have the quickness to get there before it closed, and he followed the blockers for a 4 yard gain on what could have been a breakaway.

I feel bad for the guy, but he got the ring and the $$ for doing the job that he did even if it was just standing around in a warmup jacket.

Sure Verron is better than Duce, but I'd like to see the new kid, the one from Div II, do good. He's a comer, it seems.

Tom

Prosdo
08-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I have to agree. For a while now I have been thinking he might get cut or traded. After last night he is getting cut. I don't think they could get anything for him. He just seemed slow and very weak in his runs. Our runningback position has me a little uneasy. Since Duce was really being counted on to step up and hasn't. John Kuhn I believe it was did look pretty good as did Verron Haynes.

redst3
08-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Mosca is dead on. Its sad to see Duce make a fool out of himself like this, and I saw the exact same play....

LambertIsGod58
08-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't like saying I told you so...but I've been saying since before last season that he was done...

tony hipchest
08-26-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't like saying I told you so...but I've been saying since before last season that he was done...while that may be true, the same has been said about jerome for a few years. duces role will be to come in in the 2nd half and spell willie, when defenses are tired, and when he can more easilly bust through them.

Midnightwriter07
08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
That is true tony and good point, he will not be our number 1 guy and probably will have more success coming in later in game as bettis did ... BUTTTTTT.. He really needs to take off the weight ( i blame the coaches for part of this for not getting him on slim fast ASAP) but my worry with Staley is, as well as the rest of our other RB's, is if Parker goes down with an ankle injury or something and then we will basically be one dimensional. At least with Bettis, he may not have pulled off a game of 150 yards.. but he could still carry the load for a few games if needed and it wouldnt be as much a concern IMO. At this point to me, KUHN looks the best of the bunch as far as the second RB postion behind Parker.

PisnNapalm
08-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I went to last night's game and honestly... I think Duce is done. There was no pop to his starts and he seemed to running in first gear when he needed to be in 3rd.

I truly want him to take over for Jerome, but I don't see that happening. Unless they're all pulling a fast one on us and he's gonna explode when regular season comes. I know... that's far fetched...

Koopa
08-26-2006, 02:52 PM
i was trying to stay postive with duce. but last night was the first game i got to see and omg he was just plain horrible. stick a fork in his career, cause he just doesn't have it anymore

as for haynes. i like the dude but he is never gonna be anything more then a 3rd down back imo. which isn't bad, he's a very good 3rd down back, but he won't be our goalline back

i really hope willie can carry the load cause if he can't then damn........lol

hopefully humes can develope this season and then next year be that thunder we need with willie

and a little off topic when is willie up for a new contract??? i hope he dont' cost to much

BlackNGold203
08-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Did Humes get any touches last night at all???

:cool: :cool:

Koopa
08-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Did Humes get any touches last night at all???

:cool: :cool:

he had two catches for 9 yards, no rushing attempts, and i saw him picking up his blocks pretty good

Midnightwriter07
08-26-2006, 03:40 PM
They ran Kuhn alot. Humes didnt look bad at all as far as what he was asked to do.. I guess he will get more work the last pre season game since the starters will go out very early.

PisnNapalm
08-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't recall seeing Humes in the game at all.

EDIT:: Steelers rushing stats:::

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
S.Boyd 4 39 9.8 15 0
J.Kuhn 6 24 4.0 7 0
D.Staley 11 21 1.9 6 0
V.Haynes 5 15 3.0 5 0
W.Parker 3 13 4.3 7 0
O.Jacobs 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0

Total 30 108 3.6 15 0

Stlrs4Life
08-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah he was in there in the 4th Qtr, with like 5 minutes remaining.

Duce, you can stick a fork in him, he is done.

PisnNapalm
08-26-2006, 04:16 PM
We left at about 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. It was too brutal to watch even for preseason.

19ward86
08-26-2006, 04:42 PM
he is 32 give him a break, this is his last season

Koopa
08-26-2006, 04:51 PM
give him a break?? i've been giving him a break for two years....enough is enough. it's not fair that he gets free money, while others bust their asses off and get cut. all he is right now is a name that ppl know.

clevestinks
08-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Duce had all the reason in the world to show up in shape. He didn`t that Fat Lazy SOB. No more free rides for that Fat SOB.

HometownGal
08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I went to last night's game and honestly... I think Duce is done. There was no pop to his starts and he seemed to running in first gear when he needed to be in 3rd.

I truly want him to take over for Jerome, but I don't see that happening. Unless they're all pulling a fast one on us and he's gonna explode when regular season comes. I know... that's far fetched...

Jerome he is not, but I'm still giving him a slight chance to redeem himself, put the nose to the grindstone and get rid of the rust. He was on his way to a stellar season before he was injured the first time, shortly after he became a member of the Steelers. Cowher needs to kick him in the rump and tell him to get with the program or he's going to be watching the Steelers on the boob tube.

jaysta
08-26-2006, 11:02 PM
I hate to say it, but Willie doesn't seem to be our answer either. He is fast, but that's not what Pittsburgh's offense is built around. Honestly Haynes would be our best bet to carry the ball for the bulk of the game in my opinion. The other guys will come around in time and Willie is a great change of pace back to throw the defense off a bit. As for Duce...those knees have seen better days. :old: But it's early so who knows what fate lies ahead! Peace!

LarryNJ
08-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I agree that Duce is done. It wouldn't surprise me to see them pick up a big back in the next 2 weeks as teams cut their rosters down.

Koopa
08-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I hate to say it, but Willie doesn't seem to be our answer either. He is fast, but that's not what Pittsburgh's offense is built around. Honestly Haynes would be our best bet to carry the ball for the bulk of the game in my opinion. The other guys will come around in time and Willie is a great change of pace back to throw the defense off a bit. As for Duce...those knees have seen better days. :old: But it's early so who knows what fate lies ahead! Peace!

willie might be perfect for what we are turning into. we have to keep up with times. we can no longer force our game on ppl. the rule changes are making that impossible. we are gonna need to be a more open faster type offense if we want to keep competing. it's nice to have that big back for goal line. but willie is perfect for what we are and will be becoming

jaysta
08-27-2006, 11:11 PM
willie might be perfect for what we are turning into. we have to keep up with times. we can no longer force our game on ppl. the rule changes are making that impossible. we are gonna need to be a more open faster type offense if we want to keep competing. it's nice to have that big back for goal line. but willie is perfect for what we are and will be becoming

I agree with you Koopa if that is direction that we are heading. However, much of Pittsburgh's success has been controlling the game by pounding the ball with big backs, moving the ball with fast receivers, and keeping the other teams off balance with the option quarterback plays. Once we get ahead we control the clock so well with the big back carrying the load. That's all I'm saying about Fast Willie not being the answer. He's sturdy so he shouldn't get hurt easily, but can he control the clock when we have a lead?

Steel Pit
08-28-2006, 06:28 AM
My vote goes to Kuhn. He's looked excellent during every pre-season game. I don't see how the Steelers can keep Staley or Humes over Kuhn. If they let Kuhn go you'll see him playing for someone else in the NFL. He'll be someones Mike Alstott. Over the past couple of seasons the Steelers have let several young RB's go in order to keep tired old veterans such as Bettis and Staley. They better keep the young RB Kuhn.

Elvis
08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Yeh... the road has came to an end for the Duce... I like him and all but he is just not gettin' it done anymore. Of course our O Line is Not gettin' it done either... they have not looked that good at all little less great... they say they are one of the best.. if not the best... in the NFL? We didnt have much of a running game in the super bowl or afc tittle game either... yeah.. parker had 1 big run in the super bowl but what else did he do... Our O line must step it up and block someone... I cant believe that I am the only one to mention this... I also love Kuhn... he reminds me of Allstott from Tampa.. by the way dont count out Humes.. he made some great blitz pick ups and he has got power.. he just hasnt gotten any playin' time... maybe he will stick on our practice squad atleast and get some experience..
God Bless All
Elvis

Mosca
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey, just maybe all of a sudden Kreider's going to get a dozen or so touches a game. He's a bull, man. Let Verron lead and Big Dan follows with the rock.

Tom

OneForTheToe
08-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I know it's been asked here before, but since the issue keeps coming up ...... what does Willie Parker have to do to prove himself?

How about he run for over 1,200 yards, average over 4.5 yards per carry, carry the ball 200 times a year, or maybe make a game changing 75 yard run in a Super Bowl ............

If Willie Parker is just a change of pace back, he should he should retire now and wait five years until he is inducted into the Hall of Fame as greatest change of pace back in history. The fact is, Jerome Bettis was the change of pace back last year.

Go Fast Willie!

OFTT

Da Question
08-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I say cut staley. Humes and kuhn both can be pounding backs for us. The nice thing about humes is he is very fresh, didnt take much abuse in college. Also seems like our offense may run a no huddle. willie is perfect for that type of offense. Haynes one the best 3rd down backs around.