PDA

View Full Version : Where Are You From/Where Do You Live?

JonM229
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Talk about your hometown, where you currently live, or any places that you've lived.

I was born and raised in Owings Mills, MD. It's a northwest suburb of Baltimore. I can't really think of anything special that would separate it from any other suburb anywhere else in the country (all suburbs look the same to me).

I spent five years in northern Orlando, FL. There were some nice things about living there. My wife and I had an apartment that was within walking distance to downtown, so we've walked to many concerts and restaurants. However, the summer months are brutal, people don't know how to drive, and the population is very transient.

About 5 years ago, we were both out of work, and my wife is from northern Illinois, so we moved there. We bought a house in Hebron, IL which has a population of about 1,300. In 1952, the school's basketball team won the state championships with a total enrollment of 96 (there weren't divisions based on school size back then) so the town's water tower was painted to look like a giant basketball, which it still looks like today. We really enjoy living in a more rural area, and it's only an hour to Milwaukee and 90 minutes to Chicago, so we're never too bored.

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2011/03/03/r_oad5pzaosfe0aiqy7fndpg/item_534641/thumbnail-big-hnews_hebron_water_tower_rgb.jpg

SteelCityMom
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Pittsburgh and surrounding area my whole life (except for college).

I'm happiest where we are now (out in Evans City). We lived in the city for a while, had multiple neighbors who were noisy and obnoxious, so it's nice to be out in the middle of the woods with no visible neighbors. The internet sucks here (it's good enough, but I miss Fios), but the privacy makes it well worth it. Plus we're still only a 30 minute drive from the city (and about a 10 minute drive from 79). So it feels like we're far away, but not really.

Vis
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Born in Toledo, OH.

Lived in Galva Illinois, Markham Ontario, Perrysburg OH, Martinez GA, Hempstead NY, Columbia SC, Burlington CT, Augusta GA, Athens GA, and Greer SC in that order.

I want to move to Vermont. Have a house on Lake Champlain in mind.

fer522
06-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I would tell you where I live but I'm afraid INS would come get my ass :chuckle:

vasteeler
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I was born Ft. Lewis Washington just outside of Tacoma. my father was in the army so we moved around a lot. I've lived in Germany, Colorado, Ohio, New York and finally settled in Virginia.

MACH1
06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Born in Idaho, lived in Nevada, Utah, Oregon, California, Arizona, Wyoming, Montana.

Quackjack
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
NOVA, with some time spent in Orlando.

JonM229
06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
with some time spent in Orlando.

I'm sorry

MasterOfPuppets
06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Born in Idaho, lived in Nevada, Utah, Oregon, California, Arizona, Wyoming, Montana.
witness protection program ? :noidea:

Quackjack
06-05-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry

Me too...

MasterOfPuppets
06-05-2013, 04:32 PM
born in ohio , lived in western MD , tallahassee Fl , baltimore MD . washington DC, beaverton Oregon , kaneohe hawaii

fer522
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
born in ohio , lived in western MD , tallahassee Fl , baltimore MD . washington DC, beaverton Oregon , kaneohe hawaii

Were you looking for Mach?

MACH1
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
witness protection program ? :noidea:

Lol Seemed like it sometimes. Then there were the times we moved multiple times in the same state. :doh:

My dads job was the reason for most of the moves.

MasterOfPuppets
06-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Were you looking for Mach?
my job started bouncing me around, had i not quit my next move was to puerto rico.

harrison'samonster
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I grew up in South Eastern Ohio, close to Wheeling WV. I loved it down there with the rolling hills and rural feeling. I'm now living in Niles, which is close you Youngstown Ohio.

Where I grew up most people were either Steelers fans or didn't follow NFL football.

SteelerEmpire
06-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Born in Oklahoma City (Dallas Cowboys country). Currently in Oklahoma City. Lived in Seattle, WA and Vancouver, Canada (both Seattle Seahawks country). I've developed 'a certain set of unique skills' living behind enemy lines...

Atlanta Dan
06-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Born in Sewickley, grew up in Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair, post-high school education lived in the South (Durham, NC and Nashville) - lived in Atlanta since completing school

SteelCityMom
06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
My hometown of Saxonburg (population just over 1,500 in '10) was once (and maybe still is) on Russian maps because of the nuclear research center here had one of the world's most powerful atom smashers (450 MeV proton synchrocyclotron). It was shut down in the '70s and is now II-VI Inc., a high tech manufacturer of engineered components for both the manufacturing sector and the defense industry (infrared lasers and optics, thermo electronics...and 'other' stuff). Also, the first commerical radio station in the world (KDKA 1020 am Pittsburgh) at one time had their transmission tower located here.

Upon founding, the town's name was Germania, and then Sachsenburg...and the founder (John A. Roebling) invented the wire rope and designed the Brooklyn Bridge. There is even a wire rope fence around the park in his name (which is right next to the Saxonburg Museum). If that doesn't sound nearly cheesy enough...our middle school teaches a class on the history of Saxonburg. It's actually quite interesting. Unless you're not from there, or course. :chuckle:

Oh, and our other claim to fame was having a person on the FBI's 10 most wanted list for the longest time (it was surpassed in '10, 3 years after Webb was taken of the list). Donald Eugene Webb was on the list for 25 years, 10 months, and 27 days for the murder of Saxonburg police chief (the towns first murder...or so it goes). http://www.cnn.com/US/9909/25/most.wanted.record/index.html?_s=PM:US

Aaaannnd...that's where I grew up.

Bayz101
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Born and lived in Mansfield all the way up until a month or so ago. Mansfield, Ohio is dubbed "The fun center of Ohio", which is quite funny because there's nothing to do in Mansfield. I'm proud of my Mansfield Tigers Football and Basketball teams, both of which have been successful in recent years. The football team just had new turf put in and the stadium expanded. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, and a lot of High-School Football playoff game s are played there now because of it. Mansfield is also one of the only cities that still build carousels. :chuckle:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLq7F2xs1FzH2TNm1AExnXZ26D1CQhV m7D0oPC8DktQ-H65Bfr

Now I live in the rich hood' in Delaware, Ohio in a house bigger than i'll ever get used to. I miss Mansfield, but i'm definitely more comfortable living where i'm at now. Just need to not get lost less than a mile out of the neighborhood and i'll be fine. :heh:

jacobo
06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
born in greensburg. unfortunately still here :(

Buddha Bus
06-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Born in a hospital (or a reasearch lab, not quite sure which) in PA and lived in northern Harford County Maryland for the first decade of my life. I then moved to southeastern York County Pennsylvania (about 5 minutes away) once my parents got divorced and have lived my last 31 years in the same small town since. I love country living!

I work all around the northern and western Maryland area and near Baltimore as well as, occasionally, D.C.

teegre
06-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really.

At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

CrickRat23
06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I am from a very small town in Western MD called Midland, population of about 500.

The Redskins used to hold their training camp about 5 mile's up the road from me in a city called Frostburg. The Steeler's would come down every year and scrimmage, I loved that, then the Skins moved their camp back down state.

When I was seven year's old my family moved to a town in upstate NY called Canandaigua. We lived there for five years and then moved back to Midland. I still live here till this day with my wife and kids.

This is a great location to live in because of the proximity of three major sports markets, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and DC, all within two and a half hours away. This makes for some great local rivalries. Of course my beloved Pittsburgh teams will allways prevail.

pczach
06-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really.

At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

This explains a lot! Thanks for opening up Teeg.

:hide:

43Hitman
06-10-2013, 11:23 PM

Now the healing can begin brother.

43Hitman
06-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm a military brat lived all over the US and also had a 2 year stint on Guam while I was in high school. Was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and lived in that area for the first 12 years of my life, then it was off to South Dakota, Oklahoma, Guam, Maryland, Louisiana, Maryland, and finally Virginia. I have to say as much as I miss the mid west, I really love living here in Virginia. You are 2 hours from everything, whether its the beach, mountains or DC, you name it we've got it.