WVABE
06-06-2013, 07:18 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/london-jaguars-think-040105289--nfl.html

JonM229
06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
They'd probably sell more tickets than they do in Jacksonville

jacobo
06-06-2013, 10:15 AM
ridiculous. reward the country with a team when they finally commit to the fucking sport. this is just as stupid as allowing regular season games to go to that place.

SteelersCanada
06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Ridiculous idea. If the sport has to be played outside the United States, wouldn't moving a team up here make more sense? There wouldn't be any drastic timezone differences and we already know that Canadians will support a bad team over generations.

The Toronto _______ makes more sense but Goodell only sees $ from expanding a franchise into Europe. It's a shame, too.

ebsteelers
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Would be a nightmare with scheduling.. and every season the jaguars would need to start to play the first 3 or 4 weeks on the road. It would seem cause your not gonna be giving bye weeks to teams in week 2 or 3 of the season already. or I can see it now. Steelers opening up week 1 in london with a week 2 bye week

terrible idea.

Goodell is a dope.

JonM229
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Why don't they just bring back the NFL Europe?

You know, besides the fact that most of the players are shitty.

I miss the good old days of playing Madden as the Tiburon team against one of the European teams.

SteelCityMom
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Ridiculous idea. If the sport has to be played outside the United States, wouldn't moving a team up here make more sense? There wouldn't be any drastic timezone differences and we already know that Canadians will support a bad team over generations.

The Toronto _______ makes more sense but Goodell only sees $ from expanding a franchise into Europe. It's a shame, too.

Agreed...a team in England (or anywhere in Europe) makes no sense to me unless there is a HUGE market for it there.

Canada already has the CFL, so they're already more open to the idea of an American football team going there, and there are already other major league teams there (yes, I know hockey started in Canada, but it's mostly US teams now).

I think Toronto would be the perfect city to start with, and it's close enough that most NFL fans who like to travel to see their team on the road would be able to go.

GMU Steeler
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
If you have to expand the NFL. You go to Canada first. Really, I've got no problem with the annual game in London to market the game to new fans but if the NFL has to go international it should do what the MLB and NBA have done and go to Canada first.

ebsteelers
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
or move em to Mexico..

imagine the Mexican Mustaches!!!

or the Canada Crushers

Bane
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
My biggest issue with this is that teams already bitch about the "West Coast disadvantage". Imagine the distinct advantage a London team would have at home and the equally distinct disadvantage they would have when traveling at least eight times out of the year.

ebsteelers
06-06-2013, 02:05 PM
My biggest issue with this is that teams already bitch about the "West Coast disadvantage". Imagine the distinct advantage a London team would have at home and the equally distinct disadvantage they would have when traveling at least eight times out of the year.

they would have to have a schedule where its 2 games aways then 2 or 3 games home for the entire season..

they wont get any free agents... imagine being the number 1 pick.. For being number 1 you get sent to LONDON. unreal

i'd rather see the Mexican Mustaches

SteelersCanada
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Andrew Whitworth would quit if sent to London team

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer

It's clear that the NFL is committed to building its brand in London.

The league has been hosting regular-season games in the city since 2007. There will be two more games in 2013, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly indicated on Tuesday that the league's hope is eventually to put an actual franchise in London.

An intriguing idea no doubt, but one that's sure to be met with some disapproval from the players. Take, for example, Andrew Whitworth, the Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle who has a plan in place if he were to end up on a team that played home games in Europe.

"I would hope that I was financially able to quit," Whitworth said, according to the team's official website. "That's what I would hope because if I was, my papers would be the first one in."

Whitworth doesn't think he's alone. As a connected guy -- Whitworth's the Bengals representative for the NFL Players Association -- he might know.

"I don't see that a lot of guys would want to do that," he said. "I don't see any players that would enjoy that. Sure, you may find a handful of guys that say, 'Oh hey, that'd be cool,' but the rest of them wouldn't."

Whitworth brings up a legitimate point. A franchise in London would struggle to attain consistent and lasting success if it were unable to lure free agents or hold on to homegrown draft picks. Whitworth might have an extreme take on the situation, but player sentiment can't be overlooked.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209989/article/andrew-whitworth-would-quit-if-sent-to-london-team

-- No one wants to play there. I would have my doubts about players wanting to play up here in the Great White North, let alone across the pond. The lack of free agents wanting to head to London and the inability for 'homegrown talent' would set the Jags, or whichever team heads over, back another 10 years.

How does Goodell not see this?

Lady Steel
06-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Maybe Goodell is trying to find a way for Tim Tebow to be a QB in the NFL. :chuckle:

sluggermatt15
06-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Expanding anywhere outside of the US does not make sense, at the moment. It would cost teams too much $ with travel time and expenses across the Atlantic. Plus, right now there are 32 teams. How is the NFL going to realign? If anything, they would have to add multiple franchises.

I can understand the enthusiasm for the NFL overseas. The best course of action may be to see how the Jaguars' games in London play out. If the reaction is EXTREMELY positive, then I think the league should think about the idea a little more. But for now, keep the NFL inside the US.

SteelersCanada
06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Expanding anywhere outside of the US does not make sense, at the moment. It would cost teams too much $ with travel time and expenses across the Atlantic. Plus, right now there are 32 teams. How is the NFL going to realign? If anything, they would have to add multiple franchises.

I can understand the enthusiasm for the NFL overseas. The best course of action may be to see how the Jaguars' games in London play out. If the reaction is EXTREMELY positive, then I think the league should think about the idea a little more. But for now, keep the NFL inside the US.

I don't think realignment if they came to Canada would be an issue. Assuming the Jags moved, you could easily put the Dolphins in the AFC South and put Toronto in the AFC East.

Coming to Canada makes so much more sense.

JonM229
06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpgcZ1zYJs

ebsteelers
06-07-2013, 10:24 AM
how about they just play a game in the middle of the atlantic one of those navy ships like they for the college basketball openers..

now that would be cool

Ben drops back to pass, and he throws it into the ocean!!!

sluggermatt15
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think realignment if they came to Canada would be an issue. Assuming the Jags moved, you could easily put the Dolphins in the AFC South and put Toronto in the AFC East.

Coming to Canada makes so much more sense.

I agree about a franchise in Canada. So you think the NFL would relocate a current team? They wouldn't expand?

43Hitman
06-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Agreed...a team in England (or anywhere in Europe) makes no sense to me unless there is a HUGE market for it there.

Canada already has the CFL, so they're already more open to the idea of an American football team going there, and there are already other major league teams there (yes, I know hockey started in Canada, but it's mostly US teams now).

I think Toronto would be the perfect city to start with, and it's close enough that most NFL fans who like to travel to see their team on the road would be able to go.

Yep. Also how would a team from Europe ever be able to travel the west coast and still be competitive.

43Hitman
06-10-2013, 11:29 PM

Didn't read this post before I posted. I went as far as SCMom and responded. You're exactly right though. It would be logistic nightmare for teams on the west coast and likewise for a team in London.

SteelersCanada
06-11-2013, 12:28 AM
I agree about a franchise in Canada. So you think the NFL would relocate a current team? They wouldn't expand?

I doubt it. Canada has shown we can sustain a franchise, no matter how shitty or disappointing they are. I also don't think they'd go through the headache of just expanding to Toronto and Los Angeles and having divisions be unbalanced. Moving the 'Fins to the AFC South and moving Jacksonville up here and slotting Toronto into the AFC East makes a lot of sense. As SCMom said, Toronto is close enough for fans to make the trip up and would ultimately help our economy and possibly the American one having Toronto fans head down to Foxboro, Jersey and, of course, Buffalo to see games.

But no. That makes too much sense.

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2013, 02:31 AM
of course canada makes the most sense , but , why hasn't it happened yet ?
could the CFL have enough clout to keep the competition out ? rumor used to be that buffalo was on their way across the border...:noidea: