PDA

View Full Version : Pres. Obama: "Joe Flacco Is Elite"

JonM229
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
President Obama to Joe Flacco: You're Elite (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Pres-Obama-To-Joe-Flacco-You%E2%80%99re-Elite/13ad2c8f-a5ad-4566-a4ef-a0fd83e2f9ce)

President Barack Obama is putting an end to an age-old debate.

Joe Flacco is elite.

Obama praised the Ravens quarterback during Wednesday’s ceremony at the White House to honor the Super Bowl XLVII champions. He called attention to Flacco’s historic postseason run that earned him the distinction as the Super Bowl’s Most Valuable Player.

“That capped off one of the greatest postseasons ever by a quarterback,” Obama said. “More than 1,100 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, no interceptions. I don’t know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite.”

Flacco joined Hall of Famer Joe Montana as the only player in NFL history with 11 postseason touchdowns and no interceptions. He finished the playoffs with 1,140 passing yards and a 117.2 quarterback rating.

“I’d say if you keep playing like that, you’re going to challenge [Vice President Joe] Biden for the most popular person in Delaware,” Obama said, referencing where Flacco attended college.

After leading the Ravens to the Super Bowl, Flacco signed a six-year, $120.6 million contract with the Ravens.

At the time, the contract made Flacco the highest-paid player in NFL history.

“Good timing with that contract,” Obama joked. “That was some good timing.”

Four More Years!

MACH1
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
You liberals will believe anything this guy spews. :chuckle:

JonM229
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
I wonder, has there ever been a player who hasn't gone to the White House celebration because he didn't vote for the President at the time?

jacobo
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
“That capped off one of the greatest postseasons ever by a quarterback,” Obama said. “More than 1,100 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, no interceptions. I don’t know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite.”

With analysis like that he could work for espn.

JonM229
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
With analysis like that he could work for espn.

Post-Presidential job opportunity?

MACH1
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
I wonder, has there ever been a player who hasn't gone to the White House celebration because he didn't vote for the President at the time?

James Harrison, doesn't say who he voted for though. He skipped both bush and obama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174143

JonM229
06-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I remember reading that. His beef was that he wouldn't have been invited had the Steelers lost the Super Bowl. It's called a tradition, dumbass. But, I shouldn't expect too much smarts from someone who willingly signs with the Bengals.

MACH1
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Tim Thomas of the Bruins

By now everyone knows Boston Bruins' goaltender Tim Thomas elected not to go to the White House Monday with his teammates, who were at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to be honored for their 2011 Stanley Cup championship.

The Flint, Mich. native said it wasn't about "politics or party" and yet he also took the time to slam the government for being "out of control," which sounds kind of political to me.

On the ice, Thomas wears a helmet with the slogan "Don't Tread on Me" and, according to the Boston Herald, he is a big fan of Glenn Beck.

In September, former Chicago Bears great Dan Hampton declined an invitation to a 25-year celebration of the team's Super Bowl win at the White House. (The original event was canceled because of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy two days before.)

As for Hampton, he said he wasn't happy that players' wives and children weren't invited to the event. But he also added this unambiguous rationale: "I'm not a fan of the guy in the White House."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57364713-10391697/tim-thomas-the-latest-athlete-to-snub-obama/

Seems there are a few.

SteelCityMom
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Yup, I was going to say Thomas too. He took a lot of shit for that. I don't blame him though, his choice.

Atlanta Dan
06-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Several players have decided to decline the visit for political reasons

When the Chicago Bears were invited to visit President Obama on the 25th anniversary of their Super Bowl win, [Dan] Hampton stayed home because, "I'm not a fan of the guy in the White House."

My favorite protester was Mark Chmura, the Packers' tight end and staunch Republican, who skipped his team's 1997 White House visit with Bill Clinton. When Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky surfaced in '98, Chmura said, "I knew it all along," and decried the president's morals.

Two years later, Chmura joined teenage drinkers at a post-prom party, hot-tubbing with the cuties, then allegedly assaulting his 17-year-old babysitter

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/No-backstop-to-Tim-Thomas-White-House-boycott-2795988.php

GMU Steeler
06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Several players have decided to decline the visit for political reasons

When the Chicago Bears were invited to visit President Obama on the 25th anniversary of their Super Bowl win, [Dan] Hampton stayed home because, "I'm not a fan of the guy in the White House."

My favorite protester was Mark Chmura, the Packers' tight end and staunch Republican, who skipped his team's 1997 White House visit with Bill Clinton. When Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky surfaced in '98, Chmura said, "I knew it all along," and decried the president's morals.

Two years later, Chmura joined teenage drinkers at a post-prom party, hot-tubbing with the cuties, then allegedly assaulting his 17-year-old babysitter

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/No-backstop-to-Tim-Thomas-White-House-boycott-2795988.php
Yeah I remember that. Anyhow, I personally don't blame anyone who wouldn't go but I'd probably go even if it was a president I disagreed with. I'd find it a honor to meet a president even one I disagreed with.

Atlanta Dan
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Matt Birk of the Ravens declined to appear yesterday because President Obama supports Planned Parenthood

“I wasn’t there. I would say this, I would say that I have great respect for the office of the Presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood…Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year. I am Catholic, I am active in the Pro-Life movement and I just felt like I couldn’t deal with that. I couldn’t endorse that in any way…I’m very confused by [the President's] statement. For God to bless a place where they’re ending 330,000 lives a year? I just chose not to attend.”

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/06/matt-birk-white-house-president-obama-invitation-ravens-nfl/?sct=hp_t2_a13&eref=sihp

No explanation of how Birk elected to go public about his disdain for Obama but elects to remains a member of the Roman Catholic Church despite serial abuse of children by priests that the Church has covered up

sw04ca
06-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Well, I guess if it's good enough for the President of the United States, it's good enough for me. Happy Elite-ness, Joe Flacco. Next year is a whole new test.

caplovestroyp43
06-08-2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/baltimore-ravens-star-skips-meeting-president-who-blessed-planned-parenthood

Good for you! Who wants to see Ovomit anyhow? I can take syrup of Ipakak (stuff that makes you vomit) just as easily!!!

We need more people like him to speak out against cold blooded murder of innocent babies. Ovomit is worried about children being killed by guns yet he whole heartily supports murdering them by the millions through abortion. Something wrong with that picture.

Atlanta Dan
06-08-2013, 09:25 PM
This thread probably belongs in the Locker Room, but since it is here I will ask how Birk can be so outraged about Obama while remaining a member of a religion of which the hierarchy has systematically covered up a pattern and practice of pedophilia by its priests and presumably not going public with his concerns regarding those practices

Maybe you can help me out with the answer to that :noidea:

caplovestroyp43
06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
This thread probably belongs in the Locker Room, but since it is here I will ask how Birk can be so outraged about Obama while remaining a member of a religion of which the hierarchy has systematically covered up a pattern and practice of pedophilia by its priests and presumably not going public with his concerns regarding those practices

Maybe you can help me out with the answer to that :noidea:

Welllllllll that's a fair question. And a good question too. I recon you'd have to ask him that. I'm Catholic and I have said all along that the priests that were guilty of such horrific behavior should be castrated and thrown under the jail. I was a victim as you know of childhood sex abuse and any Catholic worth their salt would be strongly opposed to what the priests did.

Atlanta Dan
06-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Welllllllll that's a fair question. And a good question too. I recon you'd have to ask him that. I'm Catholic and I have said all along that the priests that were guilty of such horrific behavior should be castrated and thrown under the jail. I was a victim as you know of childhood sex abuse and any Catholic worth their salt would be strongly opposed to what the priests did.

Sorry you got caught up directly in that evil

My point is that if Birk wants to get on his moral high horse about declining to go to the White House because he contends the President's support of Planned Parenthood offends his religious beliefs he might want to first call out those who are leaders of and have have damaged that religion by enabling the pedophile priests

Matthew 7:5

:drink:

Bayz101
06-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Went ahead and moved this to the LR.

jacobo
06-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Huge fan of abortion right here.

caplovestroyp43
06-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Sorry you got caught up directly in that evil

My point is that if Birk wants to get on his moral high horse about declining to go to the White House because he contends the President's support of Planned Parenthood offends his religious beliefs he might want to first call out those who are leaders of and have have damaged that religion by enabling the pedophile priests

Matthew 7:5

:drink:

Thank you.

You make a valid point though. It's very hard to argue. :drink:

Bayz101
06-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Great seeing respectful discussion here. If only everyone would follow suit. :laughing:

EDIT: Well, besides the "Ovomit" part. :heh:

Bayz101
06-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Went ahead and merged the Matt Birk thread here. Atlanta Dan already provided a link here, so we'll just keep it all neat and tidy.

teegre
06-09-2013, 11:27 AM
James Harrison, doesn't say who he voted for though. He skipped both bush and obama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174143

Actually, Harrison is a Libertarian (so, he despised both of them).

:wink02:

The_Joker
06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
You liberals will believe anything this guy spews. :chuckle:

Trust me, we don't want him either :wink02:

jacobo
06-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Trust me, we don't want him either :wink02:

then why was he reelected?

The_Joker
06-10-2013, 05:24 AM
then why was he reelected?