PDA

View Full Version : Cary Williams explains his absences from voluntary minicamps

jacobo
06-08-2013, 10:44 AM
New Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Cary Williams has failed to endear himself to the club's fan base because he's been absent from multiple voluntary team activities that were held over the past few weeks.

Williams, who joined the Eagles this offseason after playing the past four years with the Baltimore Ravens, has missed OTAs for a variety of reasons, including his daughter's dance recital, dental work, construction on his house and his wedding.

Williams joined "The Mike Missanelli Show" on 97.5 The Fanatic Philadelphia to address the absences.

Teams, organizations, the NFL itself hold players captive over the OTAs. They say it's not mandatory but it's mandatory, you know what I'm saying? If you want me to be there, if you want me to play football year-round, you don't want me to not have an offseason, you don't want me to have a personal life, let me know.

Williams dismissed the notion the Eagles may be upset with his comments.

"I really don't care. I told them what the situation was and we had a communication and that's what it was," he said.

Williams' three-year deal with the Eagles is worth $17.5 million -- $10.5 million guaranteed, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Williams says family is a priority for him.

"What kills me is people talk about how much money I make," Williams said. "Like that's still gonna take away from me wanting to be a great dad and a good family man. I have no off days during the season. I hope y'all understand that; there's no off days. I can't come to work and say, 'Oh, my head hurts. I can't make it today,' because my job requires much more than that."

As for what Williams has to say to the passionate Philadelphia fans, "I don't have nothing to say to the fans, man. You'll see me on Sunday. You'll see me flying around making plays. That's it. That's all you're gonna see. I don't have to explain myself to anybody."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9353608/cary-williams-philadelphia-eagles-held-captive-otas

This is something that has always irked me about football. They call these things voluntary but when you don't show it's an indictment on your character and work ethic all of a sudden. Then the media takes it and runs with it and the masses form their opinion from that. I think it's crap. Athletes are people too, and they have busy lives just like everyone else. It's like all of a sudden we have too many athletes that are there for their children. If he stays in shape there's no problem. You ca study a playbook at home.